8.7

1. Dan
    Sep 2, 2008
    Not perfect, but still the best golf game I've ever played. Lots of fun extras as well.
  2. AndrewG
    Sep 3, 2008
    Very fun. Very impressive.

I picked up TW09 after owning TW07 (loved it) and playing TW08 (eh...). I was coming in with low expectations, as the series seemed to get worse from 07 to 08. I'm glad my $50 wasn't tossed in the toilet. Game mechanics are impressive and very workable, if not perfect. Claims of swing spped not effecting your power %, this is not wholly
    Very fun. Very impressive.

Game mechanics are impressive and very workable, if not perfect. Claims of swing spped not effecting your power %, this is not wholly true. Swing speed *does* effect power, but not to the extent that length of backswing does. My feeling is this is actually a good thing, as some people (old folks) may not want to pop out a shoulder joint with a hard swing.

Club ranges, workable draw and fade options and spins are all spot-on. Putting has the largest learning curve, and takes about 36+ holes to gain your journeyman status (I've played through 180 holes at least, and still dont consider myself a master, but birdies and eagles are not uncommon from 25' + puts). 2-putting many tough greens is commonplace, as it should be!

My wife (OMG!!) plays as well in "All-Play" (easy)mode. She likes it because the preview line tells almost exactly where the ball is headed, allowing her to stay competitive, despite her gaming ineptitude.
    Player customization is beefed up. Club/stroke tuning is in (very cool). Hank Haney tutoring isn't bad, but could be more in-depth.

A very fun play for all age levels and gaming experience.
  3. AndrewJackson
    Aug 26, 2008
    Swing mechanics are much improved and the difficulty level on Advanced swing feels just right. Weighting your shot is difficult to begin with. As is putting which is almost 100% based on backswing length, but I think it was neccessary to make up for the wii-mote's short-comings.

Graphics are great for Wii game, although crowds are nowhere to be seen but I don't mind because the courses look great!

Overall I think this is the definitive Tiger Woods, I can't wait to get good and play online!
  4. AlexBaker
    Sep 1, 2008
    Putting takes some getting used to, but everything else is just what I was hoping for. I've had more success with putting when I keep the remote perpindicular to the floor (pointing directly at the floor) than when I swing it like the other clubs. Aside from the putting problems, this game is an excellent golf game!
  5. TomCribbins
    Sep 1, 2008
    It may not look as good as the other SKUs available but it's gameplay is second to none. Almost perfect 1:1 swing mechanics and faultless Online multiplayer combine to make this not only the best Wii iteration of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour franchise on the Wii, but the best SKU of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09.
  6. DavidS
    Sep 10, 2008
    Great game, played for an hour on the firts night I got it and though he game and in particular putting was crap nearly took it back. After spending a few hours on the game , i think it is great far from perfect but heaps of fun. Yes the putting is not like 1:1 100% real putting but once you work out how to use it you will have a heap of fun
  7. PeterC.
    Sep 1, 2008
    Disappointed. REALLY disappointed. Not a terrible game by any means. But all the extra money they spent on extra 'party modes' should have been better spent on making the core mechanics work. The greatest issues 1:1 swing mechanic is a lie. If you were expecting something like Wii Sports golf, where how hard you swing reflects the power of the shot, think again. The 1:1 Disappointed. REALLY disappointed. Not a terrible game by any means. But all the extra money they spent on extra 'party modes' should have been better spent on making the core mechanics work. The greatest issues 1:1 swing mechanic is a lie. If you were expecting something like Wii Sports golf, where how hard you swing reflects the power of the shot, think again. The 1:1 'swing' mechanic refers purely to how your club appears on screen when you raise your back swing before the actual swing. And this determines power of your shot. How fast/hard you move on the actual swing itself makes no noticeable difference power of the shot. So what ought to be the best thing about golf on the Wii is thrown out the door straight away. After Wii Sports Golf laid down the swing mechanic brilliantly, you'd think a single golf game would have mastered it by now. Instead they try all these other techniques which are wholly unsatisfying. It's amazing how much I see comments of this on various forums. All it would take is someone to make a decent looking game with the Wii Sprts Swing Mechanic and it would sell a huge amount. Unbelievable that the most compelling use of the Wii remote has been SO poorly used by developers. SuperSwingGolf failed, We Love Golf failed, and now Tiger Woods fails too (even with their 1:1 'swing' hype - ie lie) Damn Sports Golf made it work way back in 2006!!! In a related Issue, the second problem is putting. Now, I've had a lot of practice with this and still can't get it to work, but it seems that I need to take a full gold swing to make a putt. Unforgivable and broken. I can't actually play this game casually with family because no one can putt without taking about 5 hours practice. It's awful. Everyone just wants to play Wii Sports Golf again, and I don't blame them. In fact I prefer it too (though I'm damn sick of those 9 holes) Sound is fine, graphics are still like a PS2 port though, online would be good fun if the mechanics worked. My advice, DEFINITELY wait for the Motion Plus version coming out next year. And even then, don't get it unless: improved graphics, and a swing that actually 'feels' like a golf swing - ie the strength of your SWING reflects the strength of your shot. Please SOMEONE at EA, make this happen. Because unfortunately my copy of '09 is going straight back to the shop for exchange. Pity some of the professional reviewers are rating this so highly. They are badly underestimating what most people want from a Wii Golf Game and what a decent swing should entail. The swing issue isn't an opinion, it's just plain common sense. A real pity, mainly for EA because they are not getting the feedback they need. Expand
  8. DarrenZ.
    Sep 2, 2008
    This game will have you loving it from the tee to green then pulling your hair out as you wrestle with the flawed putting mechanics and earning double bogeys on what should have been gimme birdies. In all of EA's hype about the 1:1 swing mechanics, they never bothered to mention that the putting game does not benefit from it. Instead, you have to futz around with a wonky power meter This game will have you loving it from the tee to green then pulling your hair out as you wrestle with the flawed putting mechanics and earning double bogeys on what should have been gimme birdies. In all of EA's hype about the 1:1 swing mechanics, they never bothered to mention that the putting game does not benefit from it. Instead, you have to futz around with a wonky power meter system that's unintuitive and will have you taking unnatural putting strokes, such as taking a full power swing just to move the ball a few feet. To be fair, the system works as intended, and you can get used to it, but it's so poorly designed that many early adopters assumed it was broken, and it hurts the overall experience considerably. If you can put up with the putting game then there's a lot here to love, but by all rights, we shouldn't have to put up with nonsense like that. Better luck next year, Tiger. Expand
  9. JonathonL
    Sep 3, 2008
    It's an outstanding game - the graphics are great, and the tournaments are simply a blast to play. Getting the putting and less than 100% swings down are the most difficult aspect, but that seems like the most difficult part of actual golf as well. The complaints about the putting and 1:1 swing mechanics are wrong. Peter C says the rate of the actual swing itself makes noIt's an outstanding game - the graphics are great, and the tournaments are simply a blast to play. Getting the putting and less than 100% swings down are the most difficult aspect, but that seems like the most difficult part of actual golf as well. The complaints about the putting and 1:1 swing mechanics are wrong. Peter C says the rate of the actual swing itself makes no difference - that's completely wrong, especially on tee shots. My tee shots have ranged from 90% - 110% power, swinging all the way back, depending on a) the fluidity of the motion from backswing to forward swing, and b) the speed of the forward swing.
    The putting complaints are because the developers decided to have different putters based on distance. There's a 5 foot putter, 10 foot putter, 20 foot, etc instead of a single putter for all distances. So a 5 foot level putt using the 5 foot putter would require as much power as a 60 foot putt using the 60 foot putter. I find that mechanic to be much better than using a single putter.
  10. StuJames
    Sep 8, 2008
    Having never played Tiger Woods on the Wii before buying 09 I had no preconceptions of what the game should be like. I have to say that I think it is a fantastic game, lots of fun to play with friends, and having only played Links on the PC previously, I thought it was a pretty good simulation and certainly better than 3 clicking a mouse button. To clear up the bad reviews on the putting,Having never played Tiger Woods on the Wii before buying 09 I had no preconceptions of what the game should be like. I have to say that I think it is a fantastic game, lots of fun to play with friends, and having only played Links on the PC previously, I thought it was a pretty good simulation and certainly better than 3 clicking a mouse button. To clear up the bad reviews on the putting, I can only put it down to the fact that all the bad reviews are coming from people who own or have played Tiger 07 or 08. For this reason, these people are trying to play the game (putt) the same way they always have. Listen up guys...it's a new game and a new way of putting. It is not broken at all; it just takes some getting used to. I personally think the putting is quite simple to understand, and the only challenge I am having is the alignment (playing with advanced swing so no putt preview :-().
    For those of you out there who are unsure whether to buy the game because of this reason, trust me, buy it, give it some time to learn the technique and you WILL love it.
  11. AndrewCoats
    Apr 29, 2009
    This game is fun - everything you would expect from a Wii golf game with an exceptional online play but one huge flaw that really just needs to be explained better: The putting mechanic. It is very frustrating when you first llay the game VERY frustrating. Let me explain how to make i better:
    Here is the trick to putting in standard mode (I picked it up in the review section on Amazon).

1) you have to make all major adjustments BEFORE you preview. You tweak your aim how hard you are going to hit it after the viewing and degesting the oreview information.

2) IF you are putting on a flat or uphill green ALWAY bump up the power (hit the UP arrow quickly ONCE). You
  12. yondayoshida
    Sep 1, 2008
    This is as good as its gonna get for a Wii golf game until motion plus comes out. Ball battle mode is spectacular, once you get down the timing and rhythm of pulling on the ball. The draw fade is a little wonky, but aside from that the controls feel perfect. I think I only got one mis-hit while putting.
  13. Des
    Sep 2, 2008
    Better than the previous two games, and probably the best the game can be without the Motionplus attachment. The core experience hasn't been toyed with, too much, so if you already have either of the previous games, and you're not interested in the other modes, I can't say I recommend this on the 1:1 swing mechanic alone. I can tell you the draw/fade mechanic in standardBetter than the previous two games, and probably the best the game can be without the Motionplus attachment. The core experience hasn't been toyed with, too much, so if you already have either of the previous games, and you're not interested in the other modes, I can't say I recommend this on the 1:1 swing mechanic alone. I can tell you the draw/fade mechanic in standard mode has been drastically improved, and the controls are definitely tighter, but if you own the other two and have been playing it for a while, you likely know how to do all this without the improved techniques offered here. (Although it IS much easier.) The new online and multiplayer mini-games are the real selling point for the game, to be honest, so if neither of those option appeal to you, pass on this year, and wait for the Motionplus iteration of Woods to come out. Expand
  14. DerekB
    Jan 22, 2009
    What a frustrating game, the tutorial tries to show you how to make a hook or draw shot but it's as confusing as hell especially when it tells you 286 yds and you hit it 300, it keeps saying try again, then there's the putting, oh my god what a mess, at least with Wii Sports Golf you can practice and it gives you an idea as to how hard you will hit it but this game doesn'tWhat a frustrating game, the tutorial tries to show you how to make a hook or draw shot but it's as confusing as hell especially when it tells you 286 yds and you hit it 300, it keeps saying try again, then there's the putting, oh my god what a mess, at least with Wii Sports Golf you can practice and it gives you an idea as to how hard you will hit it but this game doesn't allow that and to hit the ball 5 ft you have to take a full swing, now most people that actually play the real game knows you don't need to do that even if it's all uphill, but with this game if you are more than 1 foot away you will have to take a full swing and hope it gets close to the hole.
    EA, fix this please even if you have to ask whomever did Wii Sports Golf on how they did it.
    I also prefer the WSG version of driving because if you swing too hard in that game your shot is not going to be good, with Tigers game you can swing as hard as you want and it will go the same distance as if you just swing casually.

1. The one-to-one swing mechanics are phenomenal and offer lots of customization options to cater to players of all skill levels. [Oct 2008, p.88]
    It looks better. It plays a great deal better thanks to improved swing mechanics that capture that one-to-one sensation. And it's packed full of more content than ever before, including new Wii-exclusive mini-games and a truly fabulous online component.
    The addition of the online play really is a huge deal.