8.7

1. PeterC.
    Sep 1, 2008
    Disappointed. REALLY disappointed. Not a terrible game by any means. But all the extra money they spent on extra 'party modes' should have been better spent on making the core mechanics work. The greatest issues 1:1 swing mechanic is a lie. If you were expecting something like Wii Sports golf, where how hard you swing reflects the power of the shot, think again. The 1:1 Disappointed. REALLY disappointed. Not a terrible game by any means. But all the extra money they spent on extra 'party modes' should have been better spent on making the core mechanics work. The greatest issues 1:1 swing mechanic is a lie. If you were expecting something like Wii Sports golf, where how hard you swing reflects the power of the shot, think again. The 1:1 'swing' mechanic refers purely to how your club appears on screen when you raise your back swing before the actual swing. And this determines power of your shot. How fast/hard you move on the actual swing itself makes no noticeable difference power of the shot. So what ought to be the best thing about golf on the Wii is thrown out the door straight away. After Wii Sports Golf laid down the swing mechanic brilliantly, you'd think a single golf game would have mastered it by now. Instead they try all these other techniques which are wholly unsatisfying. It's amazing how much I see comments of this on various forums. All it would take is someone to make a decent looking game with the Wii Sprts Swing Mechanic and it would sell a huge amount. Unbelievable that the most compelling use of the Wii remote has been SO poorly used by developers. SuperSwingGolf failed, We Love Golf failed, and now Tiger Woods fails too (even with their 1:1 'swing' hype - ie lie) Damn Sports Golf made it work way back in 2006!!! In a related Issue, the second problem is putting. Now, I've had a lot of practice with this and still can't get it to work, but it seems that I need to take a full gold swing to make a putt. Unforgivable and broken. I can't actually play this game casually with family because no one can putt without taking about 5 hours practice. It's awful. Everyone just wants to play Wii Sports Golf again, and I don't blame them. In fact I prefer it too (though I'm damn sick of those 9 holes) Sound is fine, graphics are still like a PS2 port though, online would be good fun if the mechanics worked. My advice, DEFINITELY wait for the Motion Plus version coming out next year. And even then, don't get it unless: improved graphics, and a swing that actually 'feels' like a golf swing - ie the strength of your SWING reflects the strength of your shot. Please SOMEONE at EA, make this happen. Because unfortunately my copy of '09 is going straight back to the shop for exchange. Pity some of the professional reviewers are rating this so highly. They are badly underestimating what most people want from a Wii Golf Game and what a decent swing should entail. The swing issue isn't an opinion, it's just plain common sense. A real pity, mainly for EA because they are not getting the feedback they need. Expand
  2. DarrenZ.
    Sep 2, 2008
    This game will have you loving it from the tee to green then pulling your hair out as you wrestle with the flawed putting mechanics and earning double bogeys on what should have been gimme birdies. In all of EA's hype about the 1:1 swing mechanics, they never bothered to mention that the putting game does not benefit from it. Instead, you have to futz around with a wonky power meter This game will have you loving it from the tee to green then pulling your hair out as you wrestle with the flawed putting mechanics and earning double bogeys on what should have been gimme birdies. In all of EA's hype about the 1:1 swing mechanics, they never bothered to mention that the putting game does not benefit from it. Instead, you have to futz around with a wonky power meter system that's unintuitive and will have you taking unnatural putting strokes, such as taking a full power swing just to move the ball a few feet. To be fair, the system works as intended, and you can get used to it, but it's so poorly designed that many early adopters assumed it was broken, and it hurts the overall experience considerably. If you can put up with the putting game then there's a lot here to love, but by all rights, we shouldn't have to put up with nonsense like that. Better luck next year, Tiger. Collapse
  3. DerekB
    Jan 22, 2009
    What a frustrating game, the tutorial tries to show you how to make a hook or draw shot but it's as confusing as hell especially when it tells you 286 yds and you hit it 300, it keeps saying try again, then there's the putting, oh my god what a mess, at least with Wii Sports Golf you can practice and it gives you an idea as to how hard you will hit it but this game doesn'tWhat a frustrating game, the tutorial tries to show you how to make a hook or draw shot but it's as confusing as hell especially when it tells you 286 yds and you hit it 300, it keeps saying try again, then there's the putting, oh my god what a mess, at least with Wii Sports Golf you can practice and it gives you an idea as to how hard you will hit it but this game doesn't allow that and to hit the ball 5 ft you have to take a full swing, now most people that actually play the real game knows you don't need to do that even if it's all uphill, but with this game if you are more than 1 foot away you will have to take a full swing and hope it gets close to the hole.
    EA, fix this please even if you have to ask whomever did Wii Sports Golf on how they did it.
    I also prefer the WSG version of driving because if you swing too hard in that game your shot is not going to be good, with Tigers game you can swing as hard as you want and it will go the same distance as if you just swing casually.

#26 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#16 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    The one-to-one swing mechanics are phenomenal and offer lots of customization options to cater to players of all skill levels. [Oct 2008, p.88]
    It looks better. It plays a great deal better thanks to improved swing mechanics that capture that one-to-one sensation. And it's packed full of more content than ever before, including new Wii-exclusive mini-games and a truly fabulous online component.
    The addition of the online play really is a huge deal.