7.9

1. JoeM.
    Oct 28, 2007
    Simply terrible "arcade" flight game forget all thoughs of a flight sim with this game dumbed down lackluster controls another sloppy game from Namco Bandai how many flops on next gen now namco ? calling this game a flight sim in any sense of the word or a "millitary simulation" is like saying ridge racer makes a good racing simulation.
  2. Mar 31, 2011
    The graphics and detail of the aircraft is utterly amazing, thats why it gets a 6. The story is entertaining even if it takes place in a fictional universe. Some of the missions can be very frustrating due to improbable flight mechanics of AI vehicles. A great example is the UAV mision with some sort of Flak cruise missles... not fun. Another is the airborne aircraft carrier stupid. LackThe graphics and detail of the aircraft is utterly amazing, thats why it gets a 6. The story is entertaining even if it takes place in a fictional universe. Some of the missions can be very frustrating due to improbable flight mechanics of AI vehicles. A great example is the UAV mision with some sort of Flak cruise missles... not fun. Another is the airborne aircraft carrier stupid. Lack coop also lowers the score greatly, the missions you get seem to be an after thought and not really worth the time. If I could get a do-over I would wait and get this used. Expand
  3. Oct 15, 2010
    I was surprised I got hooked up with the game so easily, the single player was enjoyable by it's variety of objectives, but it's followed by a dull story with many cliches. But hey, the multiplayer's a blast too!
  4. Mar 19, 2012
    A fantastic game, I've been replaying this off and on ever since it came out. The fundamental improvement over the previous Ace Combat games is the addition of checkpoints. There was nothing more annoying in the previous AC games than to be 15 minutes into a mission and to then crash into something, as that meant going all the way back to the start of the mission. With AC6, there areA fantastic game, I've been replaying this off and on ever since it came out. The fundamental improvement over the previous Ace Combat games is the addition of checkpoints. There was nothing more annoying in the previous AC games than to be 15 minutes into a mission and to then crash into something, as that meant going all the way back to the start of the mission. With AC6, there are plenty of checkpoints to ensure you aren't forced to backtrack huge amounts of progress after one silly mistake. The game is also much more forgiving than previous examples, allowing the odd light bump or scrape of the ground to go by unnoticed.

Story-wise, AC6 is like previous entries in the series and sets itself in a fictional world using made-up countries that are fairly obvious ciphers for our own world (in this case it's Emmeria (America) fighting Estovakia (Russia). While the story is often quite silly, it's got that slightly off-kilter Japanese style that makes it charming rather than embarrassing. Graphically, the game is beautiful with fantastic ground detail that even fairly close remains convincing. The cut-scenes between levels are also rendered in real-time and look fantastic. I actually think being exclusive to the 360 meant the developers were able to work a bit harder to squeeze more out of the engine, as I think this game looks better than its disappointing sequel "Ace Combat Assault Horizon". This is a great addition to the AC series and definitely worthy of a play-through or two.

1. The dogfighting, though, feels aimless unless you're playing with people who really know what they're doing: We predict it'll be the stomping ground of the uber-hardcore pilots. [Nov 2007, p.88]
  2. But if Fires of Liberation doesn't catch your eye, I'm not sure if any game of this ilk ever will. [Nov 2007, p.154]
    The realistic visual design married with the arcade controls make for a game that anyone can have fun with. This is the closest to the imaginary dream of being in Top Gun that most of us are ever going to get.