7.9

1. Nov 18, 2015
    For a game released in 2007, the graphics are incredible. The gamplay is fun and challenging when on higher difficulties. The storyline is okay. The only thing making it feel less than worthy of a "great" or "perfect" is because of the voice acting. It was cheesy, I will admit. animations were meh for cutscenes but remember, the game is from 2007!
  2. Mar 19, 2015
    This game is responsible for my most fondest gaming memories to date. Solid gameplay, Deep storyline and an amazing soundtrack. spent hours playing this game. a must have for series fans. also great for getting friends into the game.
  3. IanC.
    Jan 7, 2008
    That 10 is for the online play ONLY. The single player is OK, but I treated it as a practice ground for the online, which is simply AMAZING. Very tough to get a grip of tho, you'll get shot down a ton at first and wonder what it's all abbout, it feels random and frustrating. But then you get better with the controls, things get fluid, you don't just chase an enemy round and That 10 is for the online play ONLY. The single player is OK, but I treated it as a practice ground for the online, which is simply AMAZING. Very tough to get a grip of tho, you'll get shot down a ton at first and wonder what it's all abbout, it feels random and frustrating. But then you get better with the controls, things get fluid, you don't just chase an enemy round and round in circles anymore, you'll meet players with whom you'll team up properly and actually work with to take down other fighters, and then you just end up in one amazing scenario after another after another after another, like you'll spot a teammate being chased down, swerving here and there everywhere to dodge a missile lock, you shout to them that you're coming to rescue them, you zoom over and take out the bad guy, saving your buddy's life and saving the day!! Hoorah!!! I love this game. Expand
  4. JoeM.
    Oct 28, 2007
    Simply terrible "arcade" flight game forget all thoughs of a flight sim with this game dumbed down lackluster controls another sloppy game from Namco Bandai how many flops on next gen now namco ? calling this game a flight sim in any sense of the word or a "millitary simulation" is like saying ridge racer makes a good racing simulation.
  5. Mar 31, 2011
    The graphics and detail of the aircraft is utterly amazing, thats why it gets a 6. The story is entertaining even if it takes place in a fictional universe. Some of the missions can be very frustrating due to improbable flight mechanics of AI vehicles. A great example is the UAV mision with some sort of Flak cruise missles... not fun. Another is the airborne aircraft carrier stupid. LackThe graphics and detail of the aircraft is utterly amazing, thats why it gets a 6. The story is entertaining even if it takes place in a fictional universe. Some of the missions can be very frustrating due to improbable flight mechanics of AI vehicles. A great example is the UAV mision with some sort of Flak cruise missles... not fun. Another is the airborne aircraft carrier stupid. Lack coop also lowers the score greatly, the missions you get seem to be an after thought and not really worth the time. If I could get a do-over I would wait and get this used. Expand
  6. Jul 2, 2015
    Yes, it is 2015 and I am reviewing this game. As a huge fan of the series and a Playstation gamer, I was pretty upset when I found out that this was going to be a 360 exclusive, as this had previously been a Playstation exclusive series. With that being said, I finely got a 360 on the cheap and to be able to play this game was one reason. Keep in mind that I am reviewing this game forYes, it is 2015 and I am reviewing this game. As a huge fan of the series and a Playstation gamer, I was pretty upset when I found out that this was going to be a 360 exclusive, as this had previously been a Playstation exclusive series. With that being said, I finely got a 360 on the cheap and to be able to play this game was one reason. Keep in mind that I am reviewing this game for single player only and that I am reviewing it relative to the other base games (AC4, AC5, and ACZero, AC:Assault Horizon is a disgrace and should never have been made) in the series.

Let's start with the positives:
    The graphics during gameplay are very good, especially for a title early in this generation. I think these graphics would even hold up in the current generation.The music is good, however, not as good as usual for an AC game. The game is in the Strangereal universe, which can make some interesting stories. Unfortunately, that's about it for positives in this game.

The negatives:
    The biggest problem with Ace Combat 6 is that the developers thought that more is always better. This is not true at all. The amount of enemies on the map is just annoying, especially during air to air combat. Rather than making a few more difficult enemies, they decided throwing as many as they could on the map was a good idea. Also, the AI has the habit of launching missiles against you no matter what angle they are at with complete disregard for whether they even have a chance of hitting you. This leads to being in nearly constant missile alerts so the sound track may as well be a constant ringing sound. Fortunately I spent way too many hours playing Ace Combat growing up, so this wasn't a big problem for me, but it stopped me from enjoying air to air engagements as I had in the previous games. Rather than being a challenge, air to air engagements in this game are simply an annoyance. Unlike AC4, AC5, and ACZero, there is not one good dogfight mission in this game.

AC6 had a good idea as far as spitting up the mission into separate "zones" as I will call them. However, as with aerial targets, the developers simply put too many targets on the ground. More targets should have been optional in that destroying them will benefit you, but not required for completion of the mission. The zone system also has the side effect of making everything feel so rushed. While I understand this is an arcade game and it should be fast paced, never before in an Ace Combat game have I spent so much time going from point A to point B with afterburners on to simply get to a new area as fast as possible. There's no time to relax, take in the scenery, the music, or the scope of the battle because everything is so rushed and you nearly constantly have a missile alert.

The story is most definitely the weakest out of the Ace Combat base games. You don't develop any feeling toward your wingman or the other pilots around you. I don't mind seeing a story from the perspective of a civilian, but it ultimately has to lead back to the pilots. I think they were trying to emulate Ace Combat 4 as far as using a civilian perspective, however the constant jumps of perspective from person to person doesn't allow the player to develop a relationship with any of the characters. SPOILER ALERT In one of the missions your wingman decides to defy orders and continue engaging the enemy when told to cease fire, and it's just not a smart decision, you have no input in it at all, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Also, the fact that the wingman has very little personality and the story doesn't focus on him really makes you not care about him and you really do not understand his feelings or his reasons for taking those actions. Also, it's just really out of character for him. SECOND SPOLER ALERT Your wingman crashes and is assumed to be dead during the last mission. Other like other circumstances of losing a wingman in the Ace Combat series, I felt absolutely nothing and was not concerned about his outcome.

The storyline itself is weak, and the execution (dialogue, cutscenes, etc.) are below what I expect for an AC game.

It pains me to say this because I love this series and I hope it succeeds in the future, however I have to give this game a below average review score because of the poor gameplay and the poor storyline, There are certainly elements that are good, such as the graphics and music, however this game simply does not stand up to it's predecessors.
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    Worst video game ever. The storyline is laughably bad, the controls are way too hard for anyone who hasn't taken an air force training program, the action is slow and frustrating, tutorials are impossible to master, it is just a plain old waste of time. The other people who rated this game are being way too positive, considering the whole game was a waste of time and money. And to think IWorst video game ever. The storyline is laughably bad, the controls are way too hard for anyone who hasn't taken an air force training program, the action is slow and frustrating, tutorials are impossible to master, it is just a plain old waste of time. The other people who rated this game are being way too positive, considering the whole game was a waste of time and money. And to think I looked at the other peoples reviews before buying it. Collapse
  8. Aug 17, 2013
    I just bought this game and I already regret it. I can deal with a fictional country but make the game somewhat realistic. You can run your plane into the ground and it doesn't explode it just takes a little damage that is crazy. the graphics of the planned are good but the ground looks stupid and you can't even land your aircraft.
  9. ChristianV.
    Oct 30, 2007
    This game just rocks! The visuals are astounding! totally photorealistic. Its a fun game, like no other on the Xbox - clearly THE flight game thats a must own. I love it. Lookiing to get a flight stick controler.
  10. JohnnyE.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Ace Combat 6 ROCKS THIS WORLD BABY!!! It is the best flight sim ever. So good the air force is trying to by the rights to use the program format. Each ace combat just keeps getting better. GAME ON!
  11. JamesJ.
    Oct 23, 2007
    The best simulator i have ever played! i givethis game a 10/10 hands down! it trumps all of the previous and all flight simulators currently out there!
  12. JohnS.
    Oct 23, 2007
    I love the movie top gun and now i can be in it!!!!!
  13. JonJ.
    Oct 26, 2007
    An excellent balls to the wall arcade/simulation game worthy of the title " king of air combat ". To describe it in 3 words I would call it : addictive, beautiful and thrilling.
  14. Noir
    Oct 30, 2007
    The graphics are awesome. The gameplay is somewhat frantic. DO NOT buy the flight stick. It makes the game more difficult, as the stick is not as responsive as the regular controller. Multiplayer has lots of small problems, like inability to see who is talking in the lobby, lack of clan support, and a confusing scoring system that's based on points instead of number of kills. Machine The graphics are awesome. The gameplay is somewhat frantic. DO NOT buy the flight stick. It makes the game more difficult, as the stick is not as responsive as the regular controller. Multiplayer has lots of small problems, like inability to see who is talking in the lobby, lack of clan support, and a confusing scoring system that's based on points instead of number of kills. Machine gun deaths are nearly impossible and even missiles can take more than one hit to put a plane down. The campaign is fun, but slow to get into (you'll have to get to 5th mission before you can even get other planes). Upper level missions can be a bit too challenging, even on easy settings, until you find out certain secret methods of destroying adversaries. Nevertheless, this is the best flight combat game available right now and well worth a purchase if you like to soar. Expand
  15. SamF.
    Nov 1, 2007
    Pretty awesome combat flight sim that really pushes The 360 TO Its limits with incredible graphics.
  16. BobS.
    Nov 5, 2007
    I was not impressed with the single player. Graphics were clean but in every ace combat the graphics are always the best we have seen a plane. I hope online is sick.. or i am gonna be pissed I baught it.
  17. JeffW.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Pretty graphics actually give me a reason to go into Free Flight. The over-the-top storyline is what makes Ace Combat, well, Ace Combat. A definite buy, and there is nothing like Ace Combat.
  18. LordS.
    Oct 31, 2007
    I agree with just about all of these other statements. I however have to say I'm upset that they didn't put a split screen in and I am also not very happy with the storyline. Yes it is very good and very well written but it just is not as good as ace combat 5s. Overall a great game and i hope they come out with a seven that meets everyones expectations.
  19. MarkusH.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Really beautiful and enjoyable game. A must for Jet fighter lovers.
  20. YungMoney
    Mar 9, 2008
    The game had details on the jets had great graphics,and fun dogfights but the storyline sucked.The people in the game never compared to the quality on the jets.The storyline would always beat around the bush.....for example you are a pilot in a country called "Amerria" and rhe invading force are called the "Estovakians",to me it seemed like the writers were trying to avoid a conflict with The game had details on the jets had great graphics,and fun dogfights but the storyline sucked.The people in the game never compared to the quality on the jets.The storyline would always beat around the bush.....for example you are a pilot in a country called "Amerria" and rhe invading force are called the "Estovakians",to me it seemed like the writers were trying to avoid a conflict with Russia or something, because thats what it seemed like."U.S. v.s. Russia".......But whatever,im just talkin shit anyways its a pretty badass game just skip the cut scenes they are mostly filled with inner monologues from some stupid wit bitch.aside from all the negatives, a bitchin game! Expand
  21. Justin
    Nov 6, 2007
    Not the best-playing AC game to date (it seemed easier to me than previous iterations, even on the hardest difficulty) but definitely the prettiest. the storyline sucks, but in-game dialog is usually engaging and pretty dramatic. my biggest complaint is the limited selection of planes (15, with only one unlockable original). previous AC titles offered at least twice that number. make no Not the best-playing AC game to date (it seemed easier to me than previous iterations, even on the hardest difficulty) but definitely the prettiest. the storyline sucks, but in-game dialog is usually engaging and pretty dramatic. my biggest complaint is the limited selection of planes (15, with only one unlockable original). previous AC titles offered at least twice that number. make no mistake, this is not a game for the hardcore flight-sim enthusiast. it's more a game for the hardcore top gun/iron eagle epic endless cinematic dogfight enthusiast. the planes may be real, but most everything else is videogame, from weapon payloads (almost 300 missles on some planes) to physics (inertia and gravity don't seem to work quite right) to damage (A-10s are tough, but i doubt they can manage to continue flying straight after two direct missile hits). bottom line: fun, engaging, frantic gameplay, but not for the flight sim crowd. Expand
  22. JeffA.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Great storyline, spot on controls and stunning graphics. Only on Xbox 360 and another great reason to buy the console.
  23. Lycos8
    Feb 29, 2008
    Amazing graphics, beautifully rendered aircraft and all the action of an arcade flight game. What's not to love about this game? Well, it's a short game with horrible voice-acting and dialogue. A skirmish mode (CPU vs Player) would be nice for those who want the multiplayer experience without the Live Gold.
  24. unknownx
    Nov 2, 2007
    This was never meant to be a boring flight sim so all you sim fans should go play flight simulator, lol. Namco said "many people get the misconception that ace combat is a flight simulator, it is not, it is an arcade action game."
  25. NeilV.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Excellent game, excellent graphics and sound. This is the best Ace Combat game yet. Those familiar with the series know that this is more of an "arcade game" than a true simulator (huge stores of weapons, killing 200+ units per sortie between air and ground targets, etc) which could turn off those looking for realism, but this game is a ton of fun.
  26. AnthonyE.
    Oct 28, 2007
    While it has one of the weakest stories in the franchise, the quality of the graphics and brutally fast paced missions make it one of the best in the series.
  27. Baboeska___
    Sep 19, 2007
    If you like the Ace Combat series, from the looks of the Xbox live demo it will be more of the same but in higher resolution. Expect great graphics and gameplay with a very arcadeish style of flight, ridiculous amounts of missiles (this actually works fine due to the amount of bogeys), and absolutely brilliant multiplayer.
    It's a really really fun demo, and I am sure the full game
    It's a really really fun demo, and I am sure the full game will be brilliant having recently clocked Ace Combat X.
  28. LucaA.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Brilliant graphics truly spectacular!!! NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!!!
  29. JustinK
    Aug 26, 2008
    This game is very enjoyable, but without splitscreen it literally splits the game in half when going offline. I mean who wants to pay for playing co op offline? The visuals are great, but the physics and the realistic parts of the game are a bit off. The storyline is a "eh" when you first look at it. Anyways do you see how fast the tanks move when on the floor? At least 150-300 mph! Holy This game is very enjoyable, but without splitscreen it literally splits the game in half when going offline. I mean who wants to pay for playing co op offline? The visuals are great, but the physics and the realistic parts of the game are a bit off. The storyline is a "eh" when you first look at it. Anyways do you see how fast the tanks move when on the floor? At least 150-300 mph! Holy Moley im suddenly destroying my enemies with my 240 some missiles! One problem that stands out the most to me is the allies, in every mission no matter what mission, the allies always relies on one person, you! That makes no sense at all. This is the problem that usually makes gamers lose the mission. This is the hardest part to get around. Gameplay: 9 Sounds:8 Missions:4-6 Everything else: about an 7-8. Expand
  30. Aug 15, 2010
    This is series has for the longest time been perfect. Having said that, Fires of Liberation was a little bit of a let down. I just don't think the adaptation to Xbox 360 didn't work. The core of the game is just fine, the visuals are absolutely unbelievable, the voice acting is very good, the roster of aircraft is very well balanced and enjoyable. It just seems as if the PS3 controller andThis is series has for the longest time been perfect. Having said that, Fires of Liberation was a little bit of a let down. I just don't think the adaptation to Xbox 360 didn't work. The core of the game is just fine, the visuals are absolutely unbelievable, the voice acting is very good, the roster of aircraft is very well balanced and enjoyable. It just seems as if the PS3 controller and controls would suit this game a little better. Having said all that, I think this is a very solid game. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys any sort of action games, especially those who are interested in aircraft and the like. Where I would give "10" ratings to both Ace Combat 04 and Ace Combat 5, this game receives an 8. Its two inadequacies being that it was released on the Xbox 360, and its story isn't up to snuff with its predecessors. Expand
  31. Oct 15, 2010
    I was surprised I got hooked up with the game so easily, the single player was enjoyable by it's variety of objectives, but it's followed by a dull story with many cliches. But hey, the multiplayer's a blast too!
  32. Mar 19, 2012
    A fantastic game, I've been replaying this off and on ever since it came out. The fundamental improvement over the previous Ace Combat games is the addition of checkpoints. There was nothing more annoying in the previous AC games than to be 15 minutes into a mission and to then crash into something, as that meant going all the way back to the start of the mission. With AC6, there areA fantastic game, I've been replaying this off and on ever since it came out. The fundamental improvement over the previous Ace Combat games is the addition of checkpoints. There was nothing more annoying in the previous AC games than to be 15 minutes into a mission and to then crash into something, as that meant going all the way back to the start of the mission. With AC6, there are plenty of checkpoints to ensure you aren't forced to backtrack huge amounts of progress after one silly mistake. The game is also much more forgiving than previous examples, allowing the odd light bump or scrape of the ground to go by unnoticed.

Story-wise, AC6 is like previous entries in the series and sets itself in a fictional world using made-up countries that are fairly obvious ciphers for our own world (in this case it's Emmeria (America) fighting Estovakia (Russia). While the story is often quite silly, it's got that slightly off-kilter Japanese style that makes it charming rather than embarrassing. Graphically, the game is beautiful with fantastic ground detail that even fairly close remains convincing. The cut-scenes between levels are also rendered in real-time and look fantastic. I actually think being exclusive to the 360 meant the developers were able to work a bit harder to squeeze more out of the engine, as I think this game looks better than its disappointing sequel "Ace Combat Assault Horizon". This is a great addition to the AC series and definitely worthy of a play-through or two.
  33. Aug 2, 2014
    The Ace combat series is really the best flying game out there. The handling of planes is smooth and natural. And while dog fighting strategy becomes relatively important on higher difficulties, it is not a prerequisite to be successful at the game. Levels provide a good balance of challenge and playability. Story line is good enough to keep the gamer interested while still focusing onThe Ace combat series is really the best flying game out there. The handling of planes is smooth and natural. And while dog fighting strategy becomes relatively important on higher difficulties, it is not a prerequisite to be successful at the game. Levels provide a good balance of challenge and playability. Story line is good enough to keep the gamer interested while still focusing on incredible graphics and game play. I finished the campaign and immediately wanted more. Expand
  34. Jul 20, 2016
    Some of the best Aircraft Games I've ever played. I remember until today, when I played it a lot at dawns on Xbox 360. It's a shame it be exclusive for X360 and unavailable for PCs.
  35. Nov 5, 2012

1. The dogfighting, though, feels aimless unless you're playing with people who really know what they're doing: We predict it'll be the stomping ground of the uber-hardcore pilots. [Nov 2007, p.88]
  2. But if Fires of Liberation doesn't catch your eye, I'm not sure if any game of this ilk ever will. [Nov 2007, p.154]
    The realistic visual design married with the arcade controls make for a game that anyone can have fun with. This is the closest to the imaginary dream of being in Top Gun that most of us are ever going to get.