Aegis Wing Xbox 360

7.0

1. Aug 10, 2013
    I don't expect much from a free game. The plot's very basic, the controls are what you'd expect from a horizontal shoot-em-up, and there are a few features that are interesting (you have a health bar, power-ups have limited use, etc.). However, everything else about this game reminds you that this IS a free game. The backgrounds are uninteresting, the enemies are your basicI don't expect much from a free game. The plot's very basic, the controls are what you'd expect from a horizontal shoot-em-up, and there are a few features that are interesting (you have a health bar, power-ups have limited use, etc.). However, everything else about this game reminds you that this IS a free game. The backgrounds are uninteresting, the enemies are your basic fly-in-formation enemies, music's nothing special and it's fairly short (as to be expected from shooters of this type). For a free game, it's decent, but there are far better shooters on XBLA. Only die-hard shoot-em-up fans should bother with this game. Expand
  2. Sep 11, 2010
    it free, u get what play for and good game
  3. J0e
    Jan 15, 2016
    The is free and does not make you buy stupid DLC and is fun to play alone and with friends and is just a simple game. Overall it is a fun game that is simple and free just get it will cost you nothing no matter what you do.
  4. Feb 17, 2012
    Aegis Wing is a rich featured, well polished, well designed and great produced shmup game out there. And it's free, what is superb. I didn't expect much from a free space shooter, but after half hour playing it on-line I was totally addicted to it -- had to get all achievements in a heartbeat. Remarkable game. Highly recommended.
  5. AaronK.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Aegis Wing has the benefit of lowered expectations right off the bat - it was made by interns and is being offered for free. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if it wasn't very good, and no one would feel burned for spending their hard-earned money on it. At the same time, some of the best games and mods of recent years were born from the minds of dedicated amateurs, so Aegis Wing has the benefit of lowered expectations right off the bat - it was made by interns and is being offered for free. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if it wasn't very good, and no one would feel burned for spending their hard-earned money on it. At the same time, some of the best games and mods of recent years were born from the minds of dedicated amateurs, so it's also fairly easy to hope that AW will be something special. It's not quite the latter - the graphics are fairly simple, and the lack of variety in enemy craft can be a bit off-putting, it is, at the very least, a lot of fun. It is a throwback to old-school shooters, with a nice twist on multiplayer - players can either operate two to four ships independently, or lock them together. One player becomes the pilot, while the other(s) control turrets capable of shooting in a 360 degree arc. Each ship, even when linked, can take damage and gain power-ups independently, and when linked, special weapons can be employed in tandem to great effect. When special weapons are used, they take on the hue of the player craft that fired them, and if they're used in unison, these combine (for instance, if the red and blue ships are linked and use shields simultaneously, the resulting shield is purple). When ships are linked, the pilot has to be aware of which linked ship has which power-up or needs health in order to properly place that attached ship to intercept the power-up icons, leading to some very careful and fun maneuvering. There are very few unique enemy ship types. In fact, the boss ships (an area where old-school shooters typically showed a lot of creativity) all seem to be based on one recurring model. This doesn't detract from the fun, but it does serve to remind the player of the game's student-project lineage. It's also significantly less fun to play in single-player mode. Still, with a friend or three playing along, it's a simple, satisfying, fun time that's well worth the time to download. Expand
  6. Aaace5
    May 22, 2007
    Because it was free I was expecting the worst, but after playing it I was shocked by how good it was. It's not great, it won't keep you hooked for a long period of time but it's a fun little shooter. I first played with a friend on multiplayer, and was amazed when I found out that all four ships could link together with each person controlling their gunfire independently. Because it was free I was expecting the worst, but after playing it I was shocked by how good it was. It's not great, it won't keep you hooked for a long period of time but it's a fun little shooter. I first played with a friend on multiplayer, and was amazed when I found out that all four ships could link together with each person controlling their gunfire independently. But the game only has six levels, so the fun is short lived. But for free you can't complain. But I suspect that if they make a part two they will bring more to the table. Expand
  7. NickG.
    May 28, 2007
    Very hard when played by a single player, but you learn quickly this one is really meant for multiplayer, where it really shines. That it's free is a bonus.
  8. PabloG.
    May 18, 2007
    For a free game, there's not much more you could ask for. The single-player game is below average, but online becomes very fun because all 4 ships can connect together and increase the power of their weapons. If it was priced at 400 Microsoft Points($5), I would give it a 5, but for free and a quick download, there's no reason to pass it up.
  9. CharleyT.
    May 29, 2007
    This game is great but to really enjoy it, play the 4 player multiplayer with your mic on!! if it wasnt free, i would have scored it as an 8 on 10 an said that its too short but, hey, this is a great games that was made by essentially 3 persons! use this to inspire yourself to make games with XNA!
  10. DungeonMaster
    Jan 3, 2008
    I would relate this game mostly to Ikaruga on the GameCube and DreamCast. You've got a million pellets flying around to dodge, with a large boss for each stage. I like the difficulty level here. It's much easier than Ikaruga, but I could see some people getting semi-permanently stuck. Overall I think it's one of the best XBLA games out right now.
  11. Pikamander2
    Dec 22, 2009
    It's free, it has achievements, and it's fun when you play it with friends.
  12. JasonD.
    May 16, 2007
    Well it's free so I won't complain. It is a decent game, but I probably would not have bought this if it were not free.
  13. MatC.
    May 17, 2007
    Clearly, it's priced appropriately. I don't want to be too critical of three interns... but I applaud Microsoft for not trying to make a ton of money off of it. I wish my college internship project had turned out this well...
  14. JamesJ.
    May 17, 2007
    Quite a fun little game. Definitely make use of combining and disengaging ships at various stages of progression. The signle player game is a bit too tough or I might give it another point. Glad to see MS give something to the customers and I can only hope they continue to add levels. Earn some gamer points and have some fun!
  15. DaveL.
    May 21, 2007
    For the price I'd give it a 10! For the gameplay I'm giving it an 8. I really enjoy this on Live. Single player is a bit boring but this is quite an enjoyable (and short) multiplayer game.
  16. JoeyK.
    Jun 21, 2007
    Well done little side scrolling shooter. In case you didn't know, that genre of game tends to be very challenging. Either that or terribly boring, but this game is the former. So be warned. If you're not a big player of this type of game, you won't be able to beat the first level, you'll quit, cry yourself to sleep and never play again. So it's worth trying, even Well done little side scrolling shooter. In case you didn't know, that genre of game tends to be very challenging. Either that or terribly boring, but this game is the former. So be warned. If you're not a big player of this type of game, you won't be able to beat the first level, you'll quit, cry yourself to sleep and never play again. So it's worth trying, even though most people who download will play it for less than the time of a demo anyways. Expand

1. There’s no question that Aegis Wing is fun and challenging, but it would be a hard sell if it wasn’t a giveaway.
  2. Aegis Wing is a pretty decent looking and sounding 2D side-scrolling shooter with a nice twist on co-op multiplayer. The free price tag somewhat makes up for the lack of ship variation and small number of levels.
  3. Yes, it’s free. It’s also repetitive, tedious, unambitious and boring. You know how they say “time is money”? Don’t spend your time on this game.