3.8

1. Feb 13, 2013
    Please don't buy this game, it's a major disappointment all round. It's so bad I felt compelled to sign up to metacritic so that I could prevent others making the same mistake as me. Save your money or better yet, buy Borderlands 2 if you haven't already got it.
  2. Feb 12, 2013
    finished the single player mode yesterday. Game is very short (5 hours wtf!?), has really bad graphics and the gameplay feels like in low budget pc fps game. There is no horror atmosphere in this game bacause it was made as 4 player co op game (something like Dead Island but much much worse!). Multiplayer sucks, finding players takes you 1,5 minute and the lag kills the fun. No dedicatedfinished the single player mode yesterday. Game is very short (5 hours wtf!?), has really bad graphics and the gameplay feels like in low budget pc fps game. There is no horror atmosphere in this game bacause it was made as 4 player co op game (something like Dead Island but much much worse!). Multiplayer sucks, finding players takes you 1,5 minute and the lag kills the fun. No dedicated servers. Just simple p2p matchmaking like in CoD but created worse. There are multiplayer modes where you can play as alien versus humans. To tell you the truth, nobody wants to play as aliens because marines are way to powerfull. If marine players stick together, they always wins the match. The only option to win the multiplayer match as an aliens is when it is match where aliens have bigger numbers than marines (ex. 2 marines vs 6 aliens). In multiplayer match 6 vs 6 marines ALWAYS win. You can't choose sides, game does it for you like the developers knew that nobody would like to be alien.

Oh! And one more funny thing! This game WAS NOT CREATED by Gearbox but 5 different developers. You can see their names in the campaign intro. Gearbox was supporting them with their brand. F*ck you SEGA and gearbox. Lost respect for those companies.
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    So, apparently it takes years of delays and disappointment before you can release a truly awful game. Aliens: Colonial Marines is exhibit A. This comes from a big Aliens fan who has waited and waited for this title to be released.
    The graphics and textures make you think you're playing on the original Xbox, the story for the woefully short game is also dire (yes, a game with less than 6 hours of gameplay), no tension in the game and the motion tracker is a waste of time.
    Looks like Sega replaced their 'QA' dept with a 'Do we look bothered about the product' department.
    Don't get me started with the strange option to put a supressor onto your pulse rifle, only to find that you can't take it back off). Leave this load of rubbish well alone and keep your hard earned cash in your pocket.
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines have bad graphics i've already completed the campaign but didn't play the multiplayer matches. The campaign is really repetitive and i just could play it because i was playing split-screen with my friend, that help me to get to the end of this game. I recommend only for those fans of aliens series and even them i know if gonna like it. The only cool thing is seeAliens: Colonial Marines have bad graphics i've already completed the campaign but didn't play the multiplayer matches. The campaign is really repetitive and i just could play it because i was playing split-screen with my friend, that help me to get to the end of this game. I recommend only for those fans of aliens series and even them i know if gonna like it. The only cool thing is see a formed group going down. Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    Worst Game ever, Bad graphics, No story, The game is so unpolished that is not worth the money that it cost,
    The Engine appear to be so a low budget production, Also the game is very short.

Very awful game stay away from it.
  6. Feb 19, 2013
    For a game that was seven years in the making, it is terrible! I made an account just to warn people to stay away from this title. The positive reviews are either being paid off by gearbox and saga or are people that are in complete denial after paying $60 for a frisbee. The graphics are out of date, the multiplayer is broken, and the entire game takes place in a revolving square map thatFor a game that was seven years in the making, it is terrible! I made an account just to warn people to stay away from this title. The positive reviews are either being paid off by gearbox and saga or are people that are in complete denial after paying $60 for a frisbee. The graphics are out of date, the multiplayer is broken, and the entire game takes place in a revolving square map that slightly changes scenery. Even if you're an aliens fan, please wait for it to go on sale pre-owned and save yourself the headache. This game is so bad the GameStop near me is allowing opened returns to their loyal customers who they suggested the game to. I give it a 2, only because it has co-op. Expand
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    This game is total GARBAGE! Anyone who rates this game over a 5 either works for Gearbox/Sega or knows nothing about videogames. I rented this thinking how bad can it really be...ohhh how I found out. Finished the campaign on hardest difficulty with about 30/50 achievements in about five hours. There are really about three levels in the game that you go back and fourth through three timesThis game is total GARBAGE! Anyone who rates this game over a 5 either works for Gearbox/Sega or knows nothing about videogames. I rented this thinking how bad can it really be...ohhh how I found out. Finished the campaign on hardest difficulty with about 30/50 achievements in about five hours. There are really about three levels in the game that you go back and fourth through three times with different lighting. All you do is shoot wave after wave of the same enemies over and over again then the credits role.. after the worst final boss encounter in years. Multiplayer is nothing that hasn't been done in every other game this generation. The only redeeming value to this experience was the sound effects which are spot on with the films. Believe it or not the terrible Alien Vs. Predator game from a few years back seems like a masterpiece compared to this trash. Shame on Gearbox for this terrible letdown of a product for all the fans of the Aliens franchise, fans of their previous work, and ruining the opportunity to create canon material for a movie franchise. THIS IS THE CANDIDATE FOR WORST GAME OF THE YEAR!! Expand
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    Nothing short of Call of Duty: Aliens. -Terrible AI
    -NPCS are unaware of whats happening
    -No scares, no frightening moments that you would expect from this game -HOLD DOWN TRIGGER TO KILL MINDLESS ENEMIES -Lazy Level Design, only 5hours. I repeat 5hours. -Lazy writing -BS ending -2 maps in multiplayer. enough said. This is another case of a developer trying to F*ck gamers and
    Nothing short of Call of Duty: Aliens. -Terrible AI
    -NPCS are unaware of whats happening
    -No scares, no frightening moments that you would expect from this game
    -HOLD DOWN TRIGGER TO KILL MINDLESS ENEMIES
    -Lazy Level Design, only 5hours. I repeat 5hours.
    -Lazy writing
    -BS ending
    -2 maps in multiplayer. enough said. This is another case of a developer trying to F*ck gamers and fanboys of a well beloved franchise, putting in little effort and hoping to cash in on poor helpless fans. a 5 hour campaign is disgraceful for a 60.00 pricepoint. What's even more insulting is the 29.99 "season pass"
    Thanks for giving us a completely barren multiplayer experience and expect us to hand over the dough. I don't think so. F*ck you gearbox.THIS GAME IS GARBAGE AND DESERVES A 2/10
  9. Feb 12, 2013
    If you a fan of the aliens series, like me then leave this well alone. its absolutely no improvement to AVP game in fact its much worse, the engine is pants and generally is just awful. this was a made by people to make money quick, not as a product for people to enjoy. everyone involved has absolutely no shame.
  10. Feb 13, 2013
    This game was difficult to complete, not because it was hard, but because it's a complete mess.

Took around 6 hours to finish, though I was both faffing around looking for dog tags and also constantly getting caught in bugs and glitches, at least 4 times have I been glitched into the ground unable to move forcing me to restart, or with full health just being instant killed by a single gunshot.

Graphics could be ok, if I could see them... Textures take far too long to load.

Not sure why many are saying the sound is great, characters lines kept erratically dipping in volume which forced me to turn on the subtitles, even then the subs sometimes never finished. One time all sound except the motion scanner was off, was really annoying...

The only nice thing I can say is the level design was decent, the ship interiors were nicely modeled from the the movie though the outdoor areas looked like ass.

The story left a lot unanswered, the ending sucked and was preceded by the shortest and easiest end boss fight I've ever done.

The multiplayer is just pants-on-head unbalanced, as a marine just keep your back to the wall and you're golden, as the xeno, you're pretty much screwed.

Overall the game is godawful, it feels unfinished and to have a season pass offered on day one feels like a slap in the face, I don't know how this could get so messed up after what they showed at E3. It should be illegal to release a game in such a state.
  11. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you could look past the graphics but with a game that has been in the process of ten year of development I didn’t expect anything more but to start of the game looked promising for the first half hour or so with the suspense of seeing a xenomorph in the shadows and not being able to shot it and with structure collapsing around you. Even being handed a motion scanner seemed to give this game a good vibe about the but unfortunately after the first level you had already seen all the game had to really throw at you. With very short cut scenes with terrible dialogue you couldn’t really connect with the very basic story line that didn’t keep you entertained. The more and more you progressed with the game the more you noticed how bland the environments, characters and guns etc really are and to make it worse the game was littered with countless numbers of glitches I found myself of teammates stuck in walls, falling through floors and shots from guns not registering. As promised I expected an intelligent alien AI to figure out how to hide in the shadows and surprise attacks but instead all I experienced was countless hordes of aliens running strait at you giving you plenty of time to react and kill with a few blasts of your guns. With the final boss being the Queen the game had a chance to restore some pride by giving you a badass boss battle to end but were let down again with a boss that can be easily defeated within a couple of minutes with teamwork, no bullets needed. This is the first game in a while that I couldn’t think on really any good points and that I was left thinking I have wasted my time and I was glad that it had ended.
    Multiplayer is also a huge disappointment with very weak aliens with bad controls and near to impossible to kill marines and a huge lack of customisation that was supposed to be a huge point to look unique online. Levels have a good size to them but with a lack of players in each round you can spend a while just trying to find enemies rather than being in the action.

To summarise this game it is very short to which you can complete in about 5 hours (11 levels) and you don’t need tactics to complete this game with ease just an itchy trigger finger and the game becomes very irritating with a countless number of glitches. The only thing I liked about the game was a Easter egg from the movie Spaceballs which brought a smile to my face. If you are a fan of Alien and don’t want to be let down avoid this game as you will be left disappointed.
  12. Feb 18, 2013
    This game is terrible. I am simply stunned that it has found an audience of people who are prepared to defend it. With all the innovations and steps forward in modern gaming its amazing that this game manages to emulate shooters from 5 years ago so effortlessly. Graphics are awful, story is awful, gameplay is awful. Everything...is simply awful.
  13. Feb 13, 2013
    The demo footage that was shown at E3 for this game looked absolutely amazing. There was dynamic lighting, the game had tonnes of atmosphere the enemy AI was slick. The same unfortunately cannot be said for the finished product which has no resemblance to the demo whatsoever and could be a completely different game all together. Put briefly, this is another FPS COD clone but so much worseThe demo footage that was shown at E3 for this game looked absolutely amazing. There was dynamic lighting, the game had tonnes of atmosphere the enemy AI was slick. The same unfortunately cannot be said for the finished product which has no resemblance to the demo whatsoever and could be a completely different game all together. Put briefly, this is another FPS COD clone but so much worse to the point of unplayability, the graphics are so outdated poor that explosions look like they are from an N64 game, with jagged textures and bugs rearing their heads at every possible moment. Gearbox have clearly LIED outright to gamers everywhere with the demo of this game I for one will not be purchasing a game from them in future, as a fan of the ALIENS franchise I found this not only hugely disappointing but also grossly offensive, it is one giant spit in fans' gamers' faces alike. Expand
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    Unfortunately pre ordered the game. Avoid Avoid Avoid! If you want to buy this just watch a walkthrough and it will dispel the hype and your hopes. Developers, please ban the word "Hoorah" from all videogames effective immediately.
    One chapter in Colonic Latrines is actually called "Hoorah to Ashes" Really?! No wonder the writer of the game story Mike Neumann took a cruise after this, hopefully there's a free bar. They left out things so you have to buy horde mode in DLC adding your losses to $75. Sorry Gearbox you know that's the main thing people loved (rebellions AVP) and you left it out. Dirty. Cash grab attempt to cover the money they know they're gonna lose on this game.
  15. Feb 18, 2013
    Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already. Maybe this game needed another 6 years of development. I could forgive the horrible graphics if everything else wasn't just as bad. The player animations are terrible. The lip synching is almost laughable. The AI(both friendly and enemy) has to be the worst part of this game....almost to the point of making it unplayable. The singleNot sure what I can say that hasn't been said already. Maybe this game needed another 6 years of development. I could forgive the horrible graphics if everything else wasn't just as bad. The player animations are terrible. The lip synching is almost laughable. The AI(both friendly and enemy) has to be the worst part of this game....almost to the point of making it unplayable. The single player portion of this game is a 3/10. I'd give it a 2/10 if it wasn't an Aliens game.

The multiplayer is really the only playable part of this game. Taking out the game's horrible AI and replacing it with human player AI shows signs of how great the game could have been. Unfortunately the multiplayer suffers from it's own set of problems and is unable to save the game overall. Matchmaking is pretty bad, as is the lag once you do get into a match. There are some pretty big balancing issues as well. Also, when playing as an alien the controls are inconsistent at best. There are only 4 modes to play as well, and although there is some customization and unlocks, after playing for a couple hours you will see the multiplayer portion of the game is not very deep at all.

Don't make the mistake I did by buying this at full price. If you are a diehard Aliens fan either rent it, or wait for a price drop, which won't take long. This game is on the fast track to the bargain bin.
  16. Feb 17, 2013
    I rented Aliens before I would spend another sixty dollars for a game I wasn't too sure about. I am glad I did because I wouldn't have spent thirty dollars on this game. While I did have a little bit of fun with a few hours of multiplayer matches the overall quality of game was not fully up to the sixty dollar price tag. As a gamer I am telling you to wait until this game is cheaper or toI rented Aliens before I would spend another sixty dollars for a game I wasn't too sure about. I am glad I did because I wouldn't have spent thirty dollars on this game. While I did have a little bit of fun with a few hours of multiplayer matches the overall quality of game was not fully up to the sixty dollar price tag. As a gamer I am telling you to wait until this game is cheaper or to rent it like I did. Expand
  17. Mar 9, 2013
    How they got away with putting this game on the shelves in 2013 is beyond me. Gameplay is terrible, i could have forgiven the fact that some of the visuals literally look like something out of Duke Nukem for the N64 if it was actually fun or entertaining, but it's not.... Multiplayer is terrible as well. went on eBay the same day i bought it
  18. Mar 8, 2013
    Feels like a 2002/3 Xbox game and would only have been average then. Very poor for a recent release. I thought it looked poor on preview sites, I couldn't beleive it when the full release so shoddy. 6 years for this, what a shame! When it hits the bargain buckets, it may be worth picking up for a fiver?
  19. Feb 14, 2013
    This has to be one of the worst first person shooters I've ever played on the Xbox. I'm really disappointed because I love the Alien franchise and I've been looking forward to this game for months. Firstly, everything feels very outdated... it's an extremely basic first person shooter with graphics that belong on the PS2. The checkpoint system is just a mess; the last thing I want to do isThis has to be one of the worst first person shooters I've ever played on the Xbox. I'm really disappointed because I love the Alien franchise and I've been looking forward to this game for months. Firstly, everything feels very outdated... it's an extremely basic first person shooter with graphics that belong on the PS2. The checkpoint system is just a mess; the last thing I want to do is have the same firefight over and over again just because a checkpoint didn't activate after I'd pressed three or so switches (perhaps acceptable on lower difficulties, but if you like a challenge this is a nightmare). Which brings me to my next point: switches! The entire game is simply going through corridor after corridor, activating switches and cutting through broken doors. It's nothing like the horror-survival/FPS hybrid I expected. There are no jump-out-of-your seat moments, despite the potential, since y'know... it's a game set in the world of Alien. The characters are all two-dimensional couldn't give a flying sh*t about any of them. What forced my hand to write a bad review was the glitches; if it's not a non-moving elevator, it's an NPC not doing what he's programmed to do, ultimately forcing you to restart from the last checkpoint that was two fights ago, do them again, and hope it works the second time around! (again, a nightmare if you're on a challenging mode). Really, it just feels like you're playing a very rushed, cheap, glitchy movie cash-in. I'm glad I rented it before deciding to buy it. Expand
  20. Feb 19, 2013
    I wonder how much SEGA paid EGM to rate this awful game a 90. Anyway this game is really bad. Screen tear is noticeable and the graphics is bad. If you're an Alien/s fan probably get this on PC with all the mods, which I guess wouldn't save this unfinished mess
  21. Feb 23, 2013
    A Complete putrid POS. What the hell were they thinking?! Awful story, horrible graphics, and inept AI left this game in shambles. Multiplayer was a joke. And a bad joke at that. And it being an 'Aliens' game where the hell were they for the first 3 missions out of the 11? It is an Aliens game right? So why does it turn out to be a CoD? Who sabotaged this game?! I want to know who didA Complete putrid POS. What the hell were they thinking?! Awful story, horrible graphics, and inept AI left this game in shambles. Multiplayer was a joke. And a bad joke at that. And it being an 'Aliens' game where the hell were they for the first 3 missions out of the 11? It is an Aliens game right? So why does it turn out to be a CoD? Who sabotaged this game?! I want to know who did it! But the game's environment and sound samples where dead on. But those two things could not save this game. Its a complete mess. Expand
  22. Feb 18, 2013
    What else is their to say? Many reviewers and fans have panned this game to death, in a such a quick succession. But I feel, as avid Alien fan, I need to have a say in regarding this title and that it is one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history. I have never known a game can suck so much with such an interesting premise. The enemy AI was awful, including ally AI, whichWhat else is their to say? Many reviewers and fans have panned this game to death, in a such a quick succession. But I feel, as avid Alien fan, I need to have a say in regarding this title and that it is one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history. I have never known a game can suck so much with such an interesting premise. The enemy AI was awful, including ally AI, which frustrated the living hell out of me. They get in your way, fail to assist you in any way or my personnel favorite, being shot multiple times in the back. I'm no snob by any means, but the games looks awful in animation and graphically. The story was average until the last few missions when you have to rescue a prisoner and his reveal is complete an utter and makes no sense. I wanted to like this game, honestly I did, because I didn't want to fall on the back wagon in bashing this game, in fact I wanted to give it an average rating, maybe a 5 or 6 because there were a couple of levels I enjoyed, the soundtrack was amazing which added that nesscary atmosphere that made the Aliens films so successful and certain enviorments were not bad, plus multiplayer can be quite fun albeit rather frustrating when playing as the Xenomorphs and online 4 player co op is also not to bad. But it wasn't enough to salvage this farce. Gearbox and Sega have a lot to answer for and if your still curious about playing this game, I suggest a rental or if your alien fan and feel the need to check it out, then wait for a price drop. But in my honest opinion, don't buy it. Expand
  23. Feb 13, 2013
    Look, this is the game that Duke Nukem Forever has nightmares about. It looks mediocre, it plays mediocre, it's developed by a mediocre company, and we didn't want mediocre. It doesn't do the films justice, it's just stupid and a huge letdown.
  24. Feb 13, 2013
    Gearbox pulled the old bait and switch!!!! Game shown was not the game sold....not the first time gearbox has done this http://www.videogamer.com/videos/aliens_colonial_marines_what_the_hell_happened_to_aliens_colonial_marines_2.html
  25. Feb 17, 2013
    Listen to me: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY. Those giving it anything more than a 5 clearly don't know a bad game when they see one. Yes, graphics aren't important, granted you've got a solid story and gameplay to back it up old PS1/Nintendo RPG's are good examples of when graphical content isn't a big deal. However, this is nothing more than a run and gun FPS with aListen to me: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY. Those giving it anything more than a 5 clearly don't know a bad game when they see one. Yes, graphics aren't important, granted you've got a solid story and gameplay to back it up old PS1/Nintendo RPG's are good examples of when graphical content isn't a big deal. However, this is nothing more than a run and gun FPS with a few aliens in it for fans of the movie franchise. Decent graphics might have actually helped immerse players in the horror setting, but unfortunately the horrible textures did anything but. It feels too much like an old doom game, not really something that should be released in the year 2013. It's a horrible game that I'll be trading in tomorrow morning. Expand
  26. Feb 19, 2013
    Just terrible. Gearbox was completely dishonest to both the media and it's fans and knowingly released a product that was different than what they were showing only a few months earlier. Although Gearbox is remaining silent on the issue, it appears likely that the bulk of the game was farmed out to other development studios. All in all, this game is an example of exactly how not to run a studio.
  27. Feb 14, 2013
    Arrived in the post yesterday, I heard some bad reviews but as a fan I thought this was exaggeration. Well I wish I never opened it and got a refund. The campaign is 5 hours long with an AI that terrible for both your squad and the enemy. I should be saying Aliens rather then enemy, but half the game you arnt fighting aliens!!! Thats right, an aliens game and you spend half of itArrived in the post yesterday, I heard some bad reviews but as a fan I thought this was exaggeration. Well I wish I never opened it and got a refund. The campaign is 5 hours long with an AI that terrible for both your squad and the enemy. I should be saying Aliens rather then enemy, but half the game you arnt fighting aliens!!! Thats right, an aliens game and you spend half of it fighting other marines on the Corporation. The end boss as well... just over one minute to beat... the games just painful. I want to give it a good review, I pre-ordered this on nostalgia and the fact that this looked like it was the aliens game that would be it! Multiplayer is the only thing that can make this game fun and it wears thin fast. The marines are very overpowered and while you can take out lone wolves, if they stick in a group and are organized playing as an alien is just not fun. Other players give up quick and it makes it impossible. Basically if you stay in a group then its an instant win. High hopes. Crushed by technical problems (screen tear), poor AI, poor graphics with missing textures and retcons. Dont get me started on who they bring back from the dead! Oh and those awesome early previews which got everyone excited, guess what not in the game!! Poor poor show. I pray the DLC can partially redeem this game especailly as its supposed to be cannon! Expand
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    I almost threw up in my mouth when I heard about this game. The gaming industry takes a whack at an Aliens game every few years, and it always ends up a heaping pile of burning slag. Crappy plot, crappy game play, crappy graphics. It's just a cluster-pile of badness. Anyone who gave this a "positive rating", I seriously question their neutrality as feedback. They're most likely shills forI almost threw up in my mouth when I heard about this game. The gaming industry takes a whack at an Aliens game every few years, and it always ends up a heaping pile of burning slag. Crappy plot, crappy game play, crappy graphics. It's just a cluster-pile of badness. Anyone who gave this a "positive rating", I seriously question their neutrality as feedback. They're most likely shills for the developers. And when the overall score was as bad as this, uh, yes I WILL listen to the critics. Expand
  29. Feb 13, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a colossal disappointment. But I shouldn't of expected more seeing as how it is an outsourced game from the always reliable(NO) Gearbox Software, with only one game that is decent, borderlands. Anyway, they up with Duke Nukem, and they up just as bad and sadly, possibly worse with Aliens. Jesus, why can't there be a decent Alien franchise game? Would it beAliens: Colonial Marines is a colossal disappointment. But I shouldn't of expected more seeing as how it is an outsourced game from the always reliable(NO) Gearbox Software, with only one game that is decent, borderlands. Anyway, they up with Duke Nukem, and they up just as bad and sadly, possibly worse with Aliens. Jesus, why can't there be a decent Alien franchise game? Would it be that hard to put some effort into a game and not use last generation graphics? or perhaps at least ATTEMPT to immerse us in the Aliens world? well, hopefully this is the last batch of from Gearbox for a while. Expand
  30. Feb 16, 2013
    I think its worth a rent, just to have a few laughs at how bad it is. Then after the laughs fade to boredom, you can simply return it. This is a game that should never have seen the light of day; literally, there is no reason for this game to exist. If they released it as an Arcade game, for under $15, I would be willing to give it a 5/10, but as a full priced game, Gearbox is laughing inI think its worth a rent, just to have a few laughs at how bad it is. Then after the laughs fade to boredom, you can simply return it. This is a game that should never have seen the light of day; literally, there is no reason for this game to exist. If they released it as an Arcade game, for under $15, I would be willing to give it a 5/10, but as a full priced game, Gearbox is laughing in your face. Collapse
  31. Feb 16, 2013

1. Apr 3, 2013
    There was a lot of hope for Aliens: Colonial Marines but it seems the gaming world is let down with another attempt to make a successful film tie in. The review should give you a few good reasons why the game suffers but other aspects such as the overused catchphrase ‘Stay frosty!’ and anticlimactic ending are a couple more to add to the list and this is why you should wait until this game gets thrown into the bargain bin before you purchase.
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not that witty, but I am pretty vulgar—as a result, all I can say is that if Aliens: Colonial Marines had been fished out of a Marine's colon during emergency surgery it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    An unremarkable FPS plagued by dim AI and repetitive set-pieces. [Apr 2013, p.68]