7.6

1. Sep 27, 2013
    For the record, Ascend is nothing like Mafia wars or Farmville. It resembles more DarkSouls than anything else. I love the fact that this game is free and I can pay for what I want when I want. No reason not to download Ascend and at least try it. The game itself is more of an action/RPG with some cool multiplayer light components that allows you to help or curse other players. You can Ascend your Caos and have them control territories which brings in cash for you. You can collect a ton of armor and items all while leveling up your Caos. Intereacting with other players is really cool, and yet hard to describe, you gotta play to see it. Anyways, well worth the free download if anything just to check out. Best F2P game easy on XBOX Live. Looking forward seeing how Microsoft evolves this game over time. Expand
  2. Sep 26, 2013
    I've been playing this game for a couple of hours now and I am genuinely enjoying myself.

Although others have said that the game requires in game purchases in order to have fun, for me this has not been a problem. The currency system works similar to that of Darksiders, when you kill an enemy, they drop souls which can then be used to purchase new armour, spell upgrades and more.
    Accumulating money in this game is not very difficult, by simply following the narrative of the game I gained around 4000 souls within a few minutes. Moreover, at the very beginning of the game, you are given 3000 souls to customize your character with.

As for player interactivity, the option is there on whether you want to interact with other players (either positively or negatively) but it is never intrusive upon your own gaming experience. Sometimes, I would just be wandering around minding my own business, when a gift would fall from the heavens, gifted to me by another player. Events like this are what, for me, kept the incentive to keep playing fresh in my mind.

Ascend: Hand of Kul has the traditional sort of RPG elements to it which any fan of the genre should be able to pick up quickly. One of the features that got me excited however, was the effects that your actions had on the overall game. As you advance in the game, all of your achievements will go towards your patron whom you choose at the start of the game. In short, this means that your actions will help make your chosen patron advance above the others.

Excluding a few minor bug issues with character animation and enemy behaviour, this game is remarkably clean in terms of bugs. The few I encountered in my 4 hour long play-through were very minor and rectified themselves quickly.

To summarise, this game is definitely worth picking up, especially since it won't cost you any money. It's interesting narrative and customization will ensure that you strive to keep adding to your list of achievements and guide your team to total domination.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    It's a good game not amazing but very good this is a old school style in a way something I miss in games now days and its not like most think sure you can buy more souls and some say you need them to just have fun but that's wrong keep playing take your time and build the souls up I do game reviews on my channel and I give it a 8/10 very good I mean you play as a giant sent by the gods to kill titans so its a good story if you ask me but that's up to others to decide 2 so their you go but rate my comment tell me I it's helpful or not
    But remember guys for a free game it's very old what can you lose thx guys see y'all later
  4. Sep 25, 2013
    Perfect game, rpg worthy of success! actions of the characters in the fight is very realistic, some minor bugs and errors but it is just the beginning! and is not "mandatory" pay to take advantage! RECOMMENDED
  5. Sep 29, 2013
    I rate this game as "Excellent", for the price point you can't go wrong. As RPG's go, I think the game has better value than Defiance had, and it's $50 dollars less (FREE).
  6. Oct 8, 2013
    I would give this 10/10 but as we all know, no game is perfect and there are afue things missing from Ascend: Hand of Kul but who cares? Its FREE, in my opinion its the best free game on XBL and one of the best (if not the best) free game I've ever played, anyone who thinks this is like those stupid facebook games is a fool, as someone already stated it is much more similar to Dark Souls than anything, not the point, this game is more than worth the download and it does not force you to spend money on it, I've not spent a single penny on this game and I'm having no difficulty in it, armor durability problem? then save up souls and upgrade it, weapon problem? upgrade or get a better weapon by dung running, there are so many simple solutions to the in game problems, "Shield" enemies? Heavy attack then Normal attack then Heavy attack again, simple. Do not be put off by what others think, especially since this game IS FREE!! Download and try it for yourself, if you like it then cool, if not then it didn't cost you anything so why care?

Anyways thank you for reading this (if you do) and take it easy all.
  7. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is surprisingly good in many ways. The combat is fun, and the RPG elements are implemented well. The graphics are pretty and run very smooth, i also like the look and functionality of the menus. You can unlock the good gear without paying for it, but it takes a long time. I bought a point pack to support the developer, because I'm enjoying their game.
  8. Sep 26, 2013
    To the people who are saying its a bad game and comparing it to FarmVille and other Facebook games, if you spent more time than 5 minutes and actually played the game you just downloaded you would know that there are more ways to get the in game currency (souls). I was only able to play this game for about 30 minutes before I had to leave to work but I had a lot of fun playing it while I was playing it and plan on continuing when I get back home. Expand
  9. Oct 14, 2013
    This is easily the best f2p game on XBL. It's a well constructed RPG with a decently unique world rich with lore. It has solid combat and par-for-the-course loot.

Where this game really shines, though, is it's incredibly interesting multiplayer components. They're somewhat difficult to explain, but you can interact with other players in very interesting, Dark Souls-esque ways. It almost
    feels like an MMO.

A few issues with the game are that, while functional, the combat can be a little dull; the game makes a habit out of small, immersion fracturing glitches; and as always is the case with f2p games, the micro-transactions can be a little annoying, even If they are understandable. None of this takes away from the experience too much though, and it definitely is a game worth your time.
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    For a free game it feels surprisingly polished. Downloaded with no expectations and was glad that I did. A Dark Souls feel to it, medium to low difficulty, and enough loot to keep most satisfied for a bit at least. The multiplayer interaction is fun too. Note that this game is absolutely nothing like Farmville and does not require you to purchase in game currency, they just have the option available. I personally have not spent a dime in game and am enjoying thoroughly. Expand
  11. Sep 28, 2013
    Got this game yesterday, with no expectations whatsoever... I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is one of the best free to play games I've gotten my hands on. Devs worked quickly to fix the reported connection issues, which they have succeeded in fixing. This game features an interesting system of gaining new spells and abilities. Also it is possible to get anything in this game without dishing out real money. Find a good spot to grind and you can gain souls quickly. The dynamic between players is also interesting, some times you'll find a friend in the bottom of a dungeon and other times you'll find an opportunist who will help himself by sending his monsters your way.
    Oh and stomping on the tiny people for experience is probably my favorite part.
  12. Nov 8, 2013
    I hate "pay to win" games. And this can definitely be a pay to win game. So why did I rate it a 9?

Because you don't have to pay to win. It truly can be played as an entirely free game, though you definitely need a bit more patience to play it that way.

The other reason I rated it a 9 is that the game is a really well done game. The graphics are good, the concepts are creative,
    the entire thing has good production values. You can tell that a lot of work was put into this game. And it's fun. Maybe not the most fun to be had on the Xbox, but definitely the most fun to be had for free. Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2013
    Awesome game to play for long hours! great idea. Keeps you into leveling up,create a monster wnd decide whether unwant to fight for light,dark, or emptyness, make others chanye by force. Or they force you to convert by way of force or intimidation. Its free!
  14. Feb 6, 2014
    I've been playing mmorpg's and similar for many years now and for once I think that i can see progress within this certain genre. This game gives you a free choice on which side to pick rather than be the "hero" for a change, on top of this considering the fact it was free it is a very good game which could lead to further, more expansive games like this.
  15. Jun 23, 2014
    At first i was concerned about the soul system, not knowing there is a workshop at the sanctury where gear can be reapired free of charge!!

The fighting is a bit repetative, but good fun. the character customisation isnt that great, but no problem, lots of good gear to hide that face of yours in! The currency system of souls works fine for me, having 5 ascended champions that are
    collecting souls for me trough capturing altars and such. i get a sollig 5000 souls each hour or so, besides what i make doing dungeons and q. I have a steady stash of 200000 souls and great gear, while NOT SPENDING A DIME! Good game!! CU there!!! Free download trough steam!!!! Expand

Distinctly average, and aside from a few interesting online elements there's little to keep you coming back for more after your first few hours of gameplay. [Issue#104, p.84]
  2. Although this simple brawler has some intriguing multiplayer ideas, the solo game's repetitive and the Crusade metagame is hard to invest in. [Dec 2013, p.87]
  3. Oct 22, 2013
    Ascend: Hand of Kul convinces with an immediate gameplay and some very interesting features, even if not always implemented properly.