6.8

1. Nov 11, 2012
    Single player:
    Single player:
    Games are basically interactive movies at this point. In a movie, you would not have a character get built up like he is going to have one hell of a fight ahead of him and then not have a payoff at the end. That would be piss poor writing (or The Great White Hype). The problem is, that is what this movie does. Ezio was supposed to be teaching Desmond how to become a world class assassin. Instead, we get an ending with no payoff for all the work Desmond has put in. Just a bland ending to the "trilogy".

Multiplayer:
    Some refinements have been made to the multiplayer. If you liked the previous installments, chances are, you are going to like this one.
  2. Nov 10, 2012
    While this was my second favorite AC game in respect to the story, I was disappointed by some major aspects of the gameplay. I do not think it was necessary to have a ridiculous number of homestead quests while the world was full of glitches. Ubisoft could have fixed those and saved us from the monotony of those side missions. Falling through the world and having achievements broken toWhile this was my second favorite AC game in respect to the story, I was disappointed by some major aspects of the gameplay. I do not think it was necessary to have a ridiculous number of homestead quests while the world was full of glitches. Ubisoft could have fixed those and saved us from the monotony of those side missions. Falling through the world and having achievements broken to the point of needing to replay the entire game are not fun (only to name two of the many mentioned by others). This game could have earned a 9-10, but overlooked problems hurt how this title will be remembered. Time outside of the main story was spent in the wrong places. If you are a huge AC fan, wait to buy this until they fix the problems or you will risk having a poor experience. Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2012
    what seemed to be the best game of the franchise turned into the worst of the main trilogy. The game was clearly rushed to be released during the holiday season, and it has so many glitches and bugs it's not even fun. Even though the story is pretty good and good action, the gameplay and combat are both a lot more fluid... the setting fails, buildings are only about 2 stories tall, theywhat seemed to be the best game of the franchise turned into the worst of the main trilogy. The game was clearly rushed to be released during the holiday season, and it has so many glitches and bugs it's not even fun. Even though the story is pretty good and good action, the gameplay and combat are both a lot more fluid... the setting fails, buildings are only about 2 stories tall, they are like 500 meters apart from each other, which will have you running/on a horse/parkouring more than the actual length of the sequences.

The biggest complain is the glitches to be honest, this game has the best soundtrack (tied with Brotherhood) but it has more glitches than the first one, and this is not acceptable, not in 2012
  4. Nov 14, 2012
    i am so confused...i am playing ACIII!!!!???i am a member of "ASSASSIN`S CREED" or playing as a regular "low-life" killer???!!???
    gameplay is good as same,with improved control and PATH-FINDING,lots of bugs but still well-design world,story is great with deep holes;i think tree-walking is not as good as building-walking in past ACs.
    still i like "ALTAIR" more that any other protagonists
    still i like "ALTAIR" more that any other protagonists in AC.
    CONNOR is believable and grows less sympathy than "altair and ezio".hunting is cool but earning money will kick you... in middle of playing.naval fights are awesome,command and shoot,handle and fire(i like it so much).
    main missions are superb but sub-missions are weak and un-lovely.enemy AI is dumper in my idea compare to past games.
    still experience cheap deaths with anger!!!!!!!!
    "ASSASSIN`S CREED III" is still so good to me but there are so many changes in it,it is so different from AC1,it seems to me new game but i am playing it as "ASSASSIN`S CREED".
    pffff...i do not know i like this game or not?.......i like this game but i love AC1....desmond is the only BRIDGE with past for me here.
  5. Nov 8, 2012
    A once fresh and promising franchise has been reduced to a slog through frustrating gameplay, odd design choices, and bad dialogue in this latest game in the Assassin
  6. Nov 5, 2012
    Alright I like this game, I really do, but the glitches for the Xbox are too much in terms of quantity and quality. I own both but this is clear the PS3 version is better for whatever reason, maybe it was designed for PS3 first then ported? I don't know. Just do yourself a favor if you are going to get this gem get it for PS3 far less issues then the Xbox.
  7. Nov 1, 2012
    Love this game after the first 3 hours!!! It starts slow but after you become a fully grown Conner the game is a masterpiece. There are gliches but a game is huge so its to be expected. To me its a 9 because of all the content and hours put in this game. The graphics are amazing and music gose very well with the setting. Some of the gliches hold it from being a 10. The beginning 3 hoursLove this game after the first 3 hours!!! It starts slow but after you become a fully grown Conner the game is a masterpiece. There are gliches but a game is huge so its to be expected. To me its a 9 because of all the content and hours put in this game. The graphics are amazing and music gose very well with the setting. Some of the gliches hold it from being a 10. The beginning 3 hours holds your hand this is for people that are new and really drags on, but after that its great. Good Job Ubisoft!!! Expand
  8. Oct 31, 2012
    This game has an slow start but overall was extremely entertaining! The combat is fast and fun although at times a little easy. Free running is also fast with much more realistic movements. In my opinion Connor is a much more relate-able character than Ezio (even though I love Ezio)
  9. Oct 31, 2012
    not better than ac2 but its sure much more better than ac brotherhood and ac revelations............Even after the first ten hours you will still find yourself learning new things
  10. Nov 2, 2012
    Are you kidding? More than 70 to THIS? It's AC, but NOT a good AC! It's just walking to cutscene to cutscene. EVEN MORE THAN MAX PAYNE 3 (that consists in a 60% of cutscenes). Okay, the graphics are good, voice acting for Spanish version was great, and I found funny to play in-game games (INCEPTION!), but it's not SO REVOLUTIONARY as AC or ACII (even ACBH for the On-Line).
  11. Nov 3, 2012
    Assassins Creed III may be both a technical feat, and an astonishing game with high polish but it still doesn't innovate and falls lackluster with it's core flow and gameplay mechanics. This game is another AAA game that pushes the boundary both technically, but yet still falls short of another lackluster rehash of what seems a forever drawn out game that doesn't do anything new. The storyAssassins Creed III may be both a technical feat, and an astonishing game with high polish but it still doesn't innovate and falls lackluster with it's core flow and gameplay mechanics. This game is another AAA game that pushes the boundary both technically, but yet still falls short of another lackluster rehash of what seems a forever drawn out game that doesn't do anything new. The story in ASIII is a something that we haven't seen with the Templars before, but it still feels and plays like the other Assassins Creed's games. The story itself, is a little hard to follow at times, and has some rough edges that need ironing out in the cinematic and narrative department. But as for gameplay, this time around ASIII feels more action oriented with what seems a frustratingly unlimited amount of enemies to chop, slash, and cut into pieces along the way. The true reward and satisfaction that comes with this game, is not the combat, but the art of exploring the wilderness of the old Americas, fighting alongside some of the most respected names in history, and the sheer joy of just running around roof top to roof top. The multiplayer is another treat that delivers making this game a heck of a lot more than just one polished single player campaign. Online play, is nerve wrecking and feels a lot like hide and seek. There's nothing wrong with the online play, and it, in itself is worth it even if the game didn't come pack full with a highly creative single player. I give this game an 8 out of 10, simply because the single player has awesome visuals, but it still falls lackluster and doesn't innovate on-top of the drawn out series. The gameplay, feels too repetitive at time, and even too slow. That though is made up for the highly entertaining multiplayer, and the visual prowess that ASIII delivers. Expand
  12. Nov 2, 2012
    I rarely write any reviews on any games simplky because I find it to be a waste of time; taking into account that the many opinions that will be generated. That being said, I must write this review on Assassins Creed III simply because it is one of the best games I have ever played in my life.....period!

The game follow the fictional history of the struggle between the Assassins and the Knights Templar in the early days of the American Colonies and close to the Battle of Yorktown(and further on the PS3 so I am told). The amount of historical accuracy in this game is astounding to say the least, having a Master in history myself I can tell you that much. Many of the characters are portrayed as life-like as possible with new advanced game technology and motion capture programs. While it's obvious at certain points that not every last historical detial is pinned down, it's safe to say this could honestly be used in a classroom to portray scene from the early Colonial period. Here I would grant a 9.5 Mixing the relatively new Anvil engine with new graphics it creates stunning vista's and life-like movements both in and outide of combat. It was a genius move, even more so than there earlier combination of the early developmental mix of the famed Frostbite 2 grpahics engine in Assasins Creed Revelations. A 10 here.

The game in itself is a wonderful mix of open world sandbox like Fallout 3 and Red Dead Redemprion, and the story driven sandbox type like Mass Effect 3. It pushes the player to keep doing the main storyline which follows the main Hero, Desmond Miles, as he travels back into time to find the missing key to save the world from the 2012 Apocalypse. Playing as his Ancestors, and I mean two of them, the storyline is full of unique surprises, as well as fateful twists for the long, hard timers of the Assasins Creed trilogy. While this is all good and fun, this is where alot of games would run out of steam.....and AC3( Assassins Creed III for which I will refer to from here on out ) does a wonderful job at having additional content to keep the healthy gamer minds active. From your basic hunt quests to side missions and even alternate history quests the game is full of additional content that give the players days and days of fun. Hunt animals, or go track down criminals; don't like either no problem, go single-handedly attack a British Convoy. Maybe the sea is whats better for you, captian a ship on the high seas in epic side-quest combats.

Did I mention sea combat? Yes that part which is new to AC3 is sea combat. I personally feared it was going to be lame, and full of bad garbage. But once again I was pleasently surprised when the creators not only made it easy to understand the control and learn, but also added the epicness of large scale fights. Well done Ubisoft :)

Finally, while I could go on and on about whats great on this game, there is one last thing that takes special mention. The fighting system, which thus far has been evtremely well done. The traiditonal AC games had you fighting with knives and an ssortment of special weapons that were advanced for there time in period(like trip-mines, smoke-gernades, and early pistols). The designers out did themselves in the new AC3 by not only adding to there excellent system, but also giving new challenges with the addition of mainstream firearms to the combat. I was happy when I wasn't dodging bullets to wip around and fire my pistol at advancing Red Coats. All in all it flows very smoothly and rarely has a second of pause well done Ubisoft.

Overall and excellent game, well designed, well thought out, and fine pressed into one of the greatest games of our generation.
  13. Nov 2, 2012
    First, AC 3 is a great game. I haven't run into any bugs. The thing that bothers me the most about this game is how unclear many of the missions are. That's the only frustration I've run into so far. Especially with the story missions. I was incredibly annoyed with the "shoot the barrels" objective. Tip: shoot the one barrel near the bottom of the cart. Could they not have been aFirst, AC 3 is a great game. I haven't run into any bugs. The thing that bothers me the most about this game is how unclear many of the missions are. That's the only frustration I've run into so far. Especially with the story missions. I was incredibly annoyed with the "shoot the barrels" objective. Tip: shoot the one barrel near the bottom of the cart. Could they not have been a little more clear in the mission objective listed in the UI? Another example, there is a mission stating "Chase guy X" I chased him around for nearly 5 minutes of so until I realized that we began running around in the circle and I tackled him. Could they not have just said "Capture guy x" instead and save the frustration? The one that annoyed me the most was "Don't get spotted on the boat" when you could fail it by being spotted in the water... why didn't they just say "Don't get spotted"

The gameplay itself is fun, and once you understand how the combat controls work (they are very different from the other AC games) it's really fun. I thoroughly enjoy the system they replaced the city building mechanic with, it has more character to it. Hunting is enjoyable and discovering little things in the wilderness is great. I'm finding the story engrossing and the characters are fairly believable. I actually enjoyed the beginning greatly and there's a lot in the game so far that has (personally) taken me by surprise in a good way. I LOVE the fast travel system, just go into your map and choose a fast travel point and you're there, saves so much travel time. Anyways if you really liked the AC games, especially 2 and Brotherhood, I would recommend picking this up, I think you won't be disappointed.
  14. Nov 4, 2012
    First off this review gets over five for finally moving away from Ezio. that's not to say i didn't like him but three games was pushing it. Assassins creed three is good because it focuses on a period where both sides were very similar and this is reflected in the deep characters that try to apply a sense of right and wrong to the world.

Side missions and collectible are not as tedious

Side missions and collectible are not as tedious as in previous installments and i found myself drawn to them as i progressed through the story. The main downside with 3 is that it is riddled with bugs almost as if it was rushed through play testing to release in a time frame that is relevant to the story (December 2012)
  15. Nov 3, 2012
    Assassins Creed 3 is a game where you stab a whole lot of people all in the name of an ancient rivalry between two groups seeking to enforce their beliefs on the world with you representing the "good" side of the equation.
    Where the previous game lacked any real progression in the story line, although padded with long, boring stretches of "look, American history", does move the main story along and itself contain some interesting moments. I however have no idea how new players will handle the already confusing plot.
    While "busy work" is often mundane, just exploring the world they created (and stabbing everything you see along the way) is still entertaining.
    While bugs are often accepted in open world games such as this, walking into a bar and seeing one character spinning on a chair, one standing in their chair and approaching another through the table they are sitting at are just examples of the many out of out of place things you will find. Including a number of game mission moments.
    As a fan of the series, the last game (Revelations) was an extreme disappointment and while not as good as the past games, Assassins Creed 3 is a welcomed return to form that falls just short of actually being a great game.
  16. Nov 4, 2012
    The worst game I have ever played, just finished it, and immediately deleated it from my 360. Waste of time. The only rating for this game is R for rubbish, don't bother playing it its crap
  17. Nov 4, 2012
    Sadly, this Assassin's Creed experience wasn't what I had hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it's only a good game and nothing more. The game starts off well but it's all down hill from there. There aren't many new features and the combat is basically the same. Sure you can hunt, and sail ships but if I wanted to do those things I'd buy 'Cabela's Big Game Hunter'Sadly, this Assassin's Creed experience wasn't what I had hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it's only a good game and nothing more. The game starts off well but it's all down hill from there. There aren't many new features and the combat is basically the same. Sure you can hunt, and sail ships but if I wanted to do those things I'd buy 'Cabela's Big Game Hunter' or 'Sid Meier's Pirates!'. The story telling aspects are poor also. You find yourself jumping from month to month, not really feeling that well connected to the characters. The multiplayer is quite repetitive to say the least. It's not bad but why spend your time playing AC3's multiplayer when there are much better multiplayer experiences elsewhere? The worst part about AC3 is the ending, it'll leave you annoyed and confused, kind of like a big slap across the face, especially to long time fans of the series. The game might keep you occupied for no more than a few days and it is somewhat enjoyable but in contrast with the previous games it comes up short in it's presentation, storytelling and gameplay. Expand
  18. Nov 5, 2012
    A solid game. Loved it from the start to finish, and how it implements old and new into one game. I was to be honest not expecting much after the drop in quality (repetitiveness and such) with Revelations but I was really engaged with AC 3. What actually has me repeatedly returning to this game is the multiplayer. I predominately play the 'Wanted' gametype and the level of tension reallyA solid game. Loved it from the start to finish, and how it implements old and new into one game. I was to be honest not expecting much after the drop in quality (repetitiveness and such) with Revelations but I was really engaged with AC 3. What actually has me repeatedly returning to this game is the multiplayer. I predominately play the 'Wanted' gametype and the level of tension really makes me enjoy it. Expand
  19. Nov 6, 2012
    I have yet to complete the game, however so far I am loving every minute of the gameplay. Although I liked every Assassin's creed game to date, this one has surpassed all those before it. There is more to do, and new features that werent seent in the previous games. The sailing was a very enjoyable new feature to the game (They just need to make a pirate game and incorperate this). TheI have yet to complete the game, however so far I am loving every minute of the gameplay. Although I liked every Assassin's creed game to date, this one has surpassed all those before it. There is more to do, and new features that werent seent in the previous games. The sailing was a very enjoyable new feature to the game (They just need to make a pirate game and incorperate this). The story is captivating and leaves me wanting to play more and more. Graphics are beautiful as usual. Some complain about the changed controls, however I didn't have a problem with it, and picked it up just fine.
    Overall a solid game.
  20. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've been a huge fan of the game and series... until now. The new combat mechnics just dont play or feel right. The big final of the game, is a f*** **** I really do not understand how Ubisoft makes that. I'm really disapointed with AC III. I think, the better in the game it's the Connor's history. It is good. The animals, the ships, the battleships, the cinematics (a few bugs). But that's all. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2012
    Ok so this supose to be game in which you take control of deadly assassin, master of shadows and silent killer...NOTHING LIKE THIS. In this game u can take out 6 NPC going full rage in daylight, killing them all, and you wont even loose much of your health bar. This game is epic fail, everything is so easy plus you getting cutscene every 2 min. It should be a movie not a game... I neverOk so this supose to be game in which you take control of deadly assassin, master of shadows and silent killer...NOTHING LIKE THIS. In this game u can take out 6 NPC going full rage in daylight, killing them all, and you wont even loose much of your health bar. This game is epic fail, everything is so easy plus you getting cutscene every 2 min. It should be a movie not a game... I never gonna go back to AC series, they should call Chuck Norris and friends, or james bond time travels. Hotline Miami was better stealth game than this... EPIC FAIL! Expand
  22. Nov 7, 2012
    This is a good game but still fails to live up to AC2. This IS probably the 2nd best AC game though. There is a pretty good story with Desmond as it is all culminating but as an American Connor's story is something I know like the back of my hand and personally I find Connor to be a whining, arrogant douche. There are a few glitches here and there but overall the gameplay is solid. HoweverThis is a good game but still fails to live up to AC2. This IS probably the 2nd best AC game though. There is a pretty good story with Desmond as it is all culminating but as an American Connor's story is something I know like the back of my hand and personally I find Connor to be a whining, arrogant douche. There are a few glitches here and there but overall the gameplay is solid. However the combat feels a little dumbed down as does free running . The hunting is great and a fun way to get money. I'm happy they brought back the homestead/Monterrigioni from AC2. Overall I would give this game a 9 Expand
  23. Nov 13, 2012
    Assassins creed 3 is a bit hit and miss in many of the areas which make up this game. Ubisoft has done a large amount of changes to the game in order to improve upon it, with multiple characters to play as throughout the story, an increased world size and possibly my favourite addition, Pirate ship battles.

However, for all of these improvements, many of the faults of the past games

However, for all of these improvements, many of the faults of the past games return, such as initially exciting, but ultimately tedious and easy combat, repetitive mission structure and a bit of a flawed story at times. I would have given this an 8, possibly a 9, but the plot near the end was dissapointing. so much so that it made me ponder why i had played through the series.

However, this game is still fun to play through, and has a relatively decent length of 14 hours for my playthrough. My review is based purely on the single player elements as I have not been able to play the multiplayer element for a variety of reasons.
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    i signed up here to just let my frustrations out that this game is overhyped! and empty. Im halfway and the game is just plain boring filled with glitches. i expected more on this game but it failed to deliver they hype around it. Still i will finish the game and sell it for something better.
  25. Nov 19, 2012
    This game is so muddled by glitches bugs that it is nearly unplayable. The type of game play where you assassinate people (as in Assassin's Creed) is completely absent. Missions and objectives seem completely arbitrary, as do the reasons for passing or failing. I have yet to meet a single real life person that enjoyed this piece of garbage. God only knows how it is receiving so manyThis game is so muddled by glitches bugs that it is nearly unplayable. The type of game play where you assassinate people (as in Assassin's Creed) is completely absent. Missions and objectives seem completely arbitrary, as do the reasons for passing or failing. I have yet to meet a single real life person that enjoyed this piece of garbage. God only knows how it is receiving so many good reviews from critics... Collapse
  26. Nov 21, 2012
    Improvements on the Assassin's Creed franchise are throughout this game and it is a great play.
    The gameplay is what you would expect from previous games.
    It has a lovely world that can feel more alive than most games. Multiplayer is a fun change as it was in previous games and it's good to get away from a shooter occasionally. The story wasn't my favourite but I won't give it
    The gameplay is what you would expect from previous games.
    It has a lovely world that can feel more alive than most games.
    The story wasn't my favourite but I won't give it negatives for that as I feel that's more opinion based.
  27. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has to be one of the worst games I have ever played. It is so bad I actually opened up this account to vent my frustration. It has taken all the fun out of Assasins Creed. The main antagonist Heysham is more likible than Connor. The historical setting is pointless to the story, in AC 1, AC2 and the other AC's you felt part of the history around you. In this I dont really feel like there is something historically massive happening going on around you. Perhaps US gamers feel it more than I do as I am Irish and could relate to the other settings more. I actually feel like this was a gimmick to boost US sales, but thats not the main issue here. The main is thar is the gameplay has got worse, it is like they saw Red Dead Redemption which is the best game in the last 10 years and used ideas from it like the hunting and frontier etc, but this was not even interesting enough to pdo in AC3 as I just wanted the story completed. I dont like how the fight controls are more limited, with Ezio you could kick people. Conner cant kick, you just button bash X and B on the Xbox controller. Too many chase scenes, the frustrating one where I was running around in circles for 15 mins before I found a short cut to capture the fleeing scoundral. They had too many unneccessarily stealth missions too. I also found that the as I would be running on top of buildings all of a sudden i would be diving at height into a cart of grass. There were times where I have been fighting and all of a sudden connor has stopped attacking and just taking hits. I also had a glitch in one chase where the guy i was peruing was stuck in a wall and it would not let me acpture him there. I didnt notice anything change for the good, this game was in development from when Assasins Creed II came out apparently, but what did they do? Anyway I wish I had spent the 40 quid on something else that I wouldve had more enjoyment out of. Its like the star wars prequels, from good to truly awful. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    I own and love every other Assassin's Creed game, however, this one truly disappointed me because:
    *They removed ARMOR UPGRADES
    *You can no longer purchase and unlock STORES *You can no longer purchase and unlock MONUMENTS *NO PARACHUTES *The INVENTIONS you unlock are decorations for you're house *SYNCHRONIZATION points don't reveal the entire map the game ends up feeling more
    *They removed ARMOR UPGRADES
    *You can no longer purchase and unlock STORES
    *You can no longer purchase and unlock MONUMENTS
    *NO PARACHUTES
    *The INVENTIONS you unlock are decorations for you're house
    *SYNCHRONIZATION points don't reveal the entire map

the game ends up feeling more like a chore than an enjoyable adventure
  29. Jan 7, 2013
    I have never been more disappointed with a game in my life. Here is a triple-A title, ready to surprise everybody and then when you finally open the package, it's Ubisoft giving you the finger.

Here's why this game is so atrocious. Beware; things stop being civil beyond this point. 1) The glitches. They are literally everywhere. I have not played a sequence in which I have not

1) The glitches. They are literally everywhere. I have not played a sequence in which I have not experienced a glitch that kicked me straight out of whatever parcel of immersion I sunk into prior. Whether it be Connor or Kenway diving into a body of water when they're already in it, or things not spawning or doors not opening when they're supposed to, this game is pathetically full of them. Alas, everybody's commented on it, moving on.

2) The gameplay. It's beyond non-intuitive. Everybody loves a challenge, and games are more fun when they're not intuitive and actually force you to think for a second. But this game stabs intuition, throws it on the ground, spits on it, and then sets it on fire. Most of the major assassinations have "optional" objectives, which are to remain undetected and do an airborne assassination, or something. This is okay, especially since the game is called ASSASSIN'S Creed. However, every single assassination I've played so far was just flat out impossible to tackle covertly. Sneaking in brush? Oh sorry, here's a half square foot of non-brush that'll force you to peek your head out for less than a tenth of a second, but triggering aggro from every single guard within a hundred foot radius. What the HELL is up with that? Speaking about guard aggro, it's way too sensitive when it shouldn't be, and not sensitive enough when it should be. (Being completely stealthed in a brush RIGHT in front of a guard, anyone?)

3) The voice acting. Voice acting is great in that it helps you get more immersed in the game. I don't know what went wrong with the voice acting in AC3. The scripts are just atrocious. Who was the game production supervisor who let this junk through? The dialogue literally sounds like it was written by someone who just graduated from middle school.

4) The characters. Connor's character is downright stupid. I would rather listen to your grandparents having sex than hear another sentence being uttered from this protagonist. The game designers COMPLETELY underdeveloped him, and it just shows in the dialogue. Every single time. There's no complexity to this character. In fact, here's Connor summed up in one sentence: "This guy f*cked with me or my tribe? Screw thinking this out; I will stop at nothing until I can lick the fresh blood from his corpse off my hidden blades." Seriously?

5) The combat. Killing a group of men is dumb now. At least in AC1, you could tackle a group of guards and not get gang-banged from every possible angle. All you had to do was time your combos properly, and you'd emerge fine. Now? It's literally mashing B, and pressing X every couple of seconds. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong, who knows. All I know is that traditional combat sucks.

6) The character control. I have not played a game that handled this badly. Trying to dictate Connor on where to go is like trying to manhandle a bull. Surprisingly, the times when I have the most joy controlling Connor is during the loading screens when there's nothing on the screen at all.

7) Best for last: the plot. Looking at the game from a macro perspective, the plot seems fine. But when you actually play it through it is the most jumbled, non-sensical, poorly scrapped together piece of junk I have ever had the displeasure of playing. I WANT TO EXTERMINATE THE TEMPLARS FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH, NOT GET CARRIED ON THIS INDIGNANT PROTAGONIST'S EVERY WHIM. JESUS UBISOFT.
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    This game has a lot of pressure and hype , but i believe it has come out mostly on top. The story and the ending was AAA . The combat was refined just enough to make it the best in the series. Sure the Renaissance was the best era in this series but it had to move forward and i believed that they chose the right era. The only problem is that the game can be glitchy sometimes but that isThis game has a lot of pressure and hype , but i believe it has come out mostly on top. The story and the ending was AAA . The combat was refined just enough to make it the best in the series. Sure the Renaissance was the best era in this series but it had to move forward and i believed that they chose the right era. The only problem is that the game can be glitchy sometimes but that is the only problem with this game . The rest of you haters can shove off because no matter what anyone says Assassins creed is here to stay and no one will forget how this series changed gaming forever. Expand
  31. Jan 25, 2013
    This game is awesome don't know why all these casual gamers hate it go back to cod if u can't handle it and leave this type of game to the people who have experience
  32. Mar 27, 2013
    Singleplayer 9, multiplayer 9. WOOO! when they said there is alot to do they where not kidding,Gameplay: I picked this up a little late so it has had a few patches. Horses, climbing, running do not fill diffrent to me then any of the other AC games. I am disapointed there is no difficulty level for the on it is on is to easy. I understand the developer belives it takes away from the story,Singleplayer 9, multiplayer 9. WOOO! when they said there is alot to do they where not kidding,Gameplay: I picked this up a little late so it has had a few patches. Horses, climbing, running do not fill diffrent to me then any of the other AC games. I am disapointed there is no difficulty level for the on it is on is to easy. I understand the developer belives it takes away from the story, then make a harder dif unlock after finishing the story. Graphics: outstanding but have pushed the limits of XBOX causing lots of ghosting. Sound:love all the characters and thought Connor was a strong charecter well acted. Multiplayer:very addictive and fun but will find yourself poping in and out of session,not sure why. maybe it needs more maps. I have the DLC but have yet to find anyone on those three map servers.which are beautiful maps.(give extra xp for playing those maps, not only will it be fun but would make spending the money on the DLC fill worth it). I highly recommend this game, Rich in History and I belief with the exception of difficulty, one of the best ACs. DID I MENTION THE TASTE WE GET ON THE HIGH SEAS, the best part of the game. Black Flag looks to be amazing. GO NAVY! Expand
  33. Dec 29, 2012
    Expected much more than I got. It really is unfortunate that they'd incorporate such a bad ending in an attempt to milk the series in the future. Don't expect anything groundbreaking.
  34. Nov 14, 2012
    A fantastic game that is absolutely stunning in the graphic department. The story is really well presented and the environments are huge. Tons of stuff to do and discover.
  35. Nov 6, 2013
    Because I trust user reviews over magazine reviews, I waited close to a year before purchasing it in the bargin bin. I wasn't disappointed. This was the worst game of the series. At times the story felt exhilerating and epic, but mostly it felt lame and dull. The large expansive world that they added falls flat when they give you such a large area with nothing interesting to do in it.Because I trust user reviews over magazine reviews, I waited close to a year before purchasing it in the bargin bin. I wasn't disappointed. This was the worst game of the series. At times the story felt exhilerating and epic, but mostly it felt lame and dull. The large expansive world that they added falls flat when they give you such a large area with nothing interesting to do in it. For a game to have been out for a year and still be as buggy as this game makes no sense. It was as bad as the very first Assassin's Creed, yet that one got a pass because it was the first...this is the fifth game of the series! Way too many redcoats in town that prevent you from stealth. If you jump up on a roof, it's like you ignited a hornets nest and spend most of your time running for your life. Combat it ridicolous now because you regenerate your health very quickly, and so does your enemy apparently as it takes about fifteen hits with your tomohawk to kill them. Some assassin, can't stealth and can't kill. Such a shame because the did a great job with the graphics, Boston and New York, the ships, and the voice acting was the best of the series. Expand
  36. Nov 7, 2012
    I should mention first off that I'm not one of the hard core Assassins Creed fans. I've played some of the others and thought they were good but hadn't really gotten into the game until this game. Because of this I can't really compare this game to the previous ones, but I can say this is the only one that's pulled me in. While the story is as good as it always is and the graphics lookI should mention first off that I'm not one of the hard core Assassins Creed fans. I've played some of the others and thought they were good but hadn't really gotten into the game until this game. Because of this I can't really compare this game to the previous ones, but I can say this is the only one that's pulled me in. While the story is as good as it always is and the graphics look fantastic its the gameplay that really sines. Its different from other creed games and this will put some people off but I really hope people will give it a chance. Don't get me wrong, the sneaking around parkour building climbing is still here but now there is a ton of other things to do. Whether its exploring the wilderness or getting into the new ship combat, or simply building up your homestead the game is never short of fun enjoyable (and more importantly, varied) quests. On top of that, there are tons of collectables for various people scattered everywhere to bring out the collector in all of us. There are some down sides, such as the numerous glitches that span all the way from goofy to game halting. I've also read that they changed up the combat and I can attest there are probably too many guards with too much health for the games own good. The games AI can be unpredictable as well making the game occasionally frustrating. Barring those little gripes, the game is great. I'm sure some Assassin's Creed vets are going to dislike the changes but I hope they, and everyone else gives this great game a try. Expand
  37. Nov 30, 2012
    Best game in the series, despite no Ezio. The game mechanics, while rooted in the previous versions, this time out are considerably more superior than before, though not completely glitch free. It is a tremendous improvement. This has been the least frustrating and most compelling of the franchise. Side missions for the most part are less inconsequential than the earlier games. IBest game in the series, despite no Ezio. The game mechanics, while rooted in the previous versions, this time out are considerably more superior than before, though not completely glitch free. It is a tremendous improvement. This has been the least frustrating and most compelling of the franchise. Side missions for the most part are less inconsequential than the earlier games. I especially enjoyed the naval missions which is a new feature. This is the only game in the franchise where I have completed all available side missions. Pathing for chase missions was the most problematic but those were rare this time out. Also the jump puzzles were not only fewer but more enjoyable since the game mechanic upgrade. Movement is more fluid than before. Would have liked to have had more of the Truth puzzles but since much of the Truth is known by Desmond I can see why there would be little need for them. That is not to say the game isn't full, rich and deep. It is more AC in one game than any of the others. Most enjoyable. Though I feel that Ezio had a little more swagger than Connor but the setting and the twist on history is more than welcomed. Excellent game experience. And that is just the single player game. Haven't even gotten into multi yet. Expand
  38. Nov 18, 2012
    I like the game, i'm a huge AC fan, bought all the games, love the cultural background, I find the timeline in which the back ground fascinating.

This game however really disappointed me, because really, who cares about the American revolution other than Americans? I find myself instantly losing interest the moment I heard about the setting, but I bought the game anyways in support of my favorite game title. Now, I haven't finished the game yet but I'm rather close, I like the gameplay, but the story leaves much to be desired.

If you like AC for it's action packed joyride then this game is for you.
    If you liked AC's historical content, then you'd be better playing the second one
  39. Mar 14, 2013
    There's a departure here from the classic Assassin's Creed format. The graphic are slightly improved, the implausible Sci-fi plot remains, and the combat is great. But this like Brotherhood feels more like an excuse to milk the franchise by acting a period piece that is intriguing than a progression of the overall story. Let's not forget that Desmond is the real main character. Yet I'mThere's a departure here from the classic Assassin's Creed format. The graphic are slightly improved, the implausible Sci-fi plot remains, and the combat is great. But this like Brotherhood feels more like an excuse to milk the franchise by acting a period piece that is intriguing than a progression of the overall story. Let's not forget that Desmond is the real main character. Yet I'm left feeling that over the course of 4-5 games, Desmond has made no progress as a character. Nor have his supporting players. The main characters suffer for the sake of an ancestor's story. It's becoming frustrating especially since the end is so near." I just keep wondering how many more games they can squeeze out of this franchise. Finally, as I've noted in multiple reviews before, the ending of a game or movie or any story is crucial to how it is perceived. If the ending is bad, that's the last you'll remember of the game. Not just the story was flawed, but the broken final mission as well. As a result, I was left with a "this is it?" moment that was just annoying. Expand
  40. Nov 8, 2012
    This is the worst Assassin's Creed in the series (I think is even worse than Revelations...). The story of this game is absolute boring, specially the past part wich is the 80% of the game, but the Desmond story was even worse... Specially the ending which is specially bad, not to mention all the bugs that game haves, it feels like an unfinished game. If you want a real AC experience justThis is the worst Assassin's Creed in the series (I think is even worse than Revelations...). The story of this game is absolute boring, specially the past part wich is the 80% of the game, but the Desmond story was even worse... Specially the ending which is specially bad, not to mention all the bugs that game haves, it feels like an unfinished game. If you want a real AC experience just play AC2 and AC:B instead of this game... About the online part, at fist looks good, but it doesn't have many variety on places to play, and most of them looks the same. Also all the customization parts for characters are overpriced, I already have played like 70 times online, I'm in level 31 and I still doesn't have enough credits to allow me to buy character stuff, only skills.. obviously they want us to spend real money on it, also the rewards (videos) for leveling up on the online game are not good as the ones in AC:R.

So, I'm afraid this is not an AAA title anymore. Not buying another AC on the release.
  41. Nov 6, 2012
    For context - I loved AC2, but found Brotherhood lacklustre and so therefore could not be bothered with Revelations. This is excellent however. It's perfectly developed as a sequel. A new engine gives it visual polish, tweaks the gameplay mechanics just enough to maintain familiarity whilst creating something tangibly new. The new protagonist is great and the narrative very compelling. IfFor context - I loved AC2, but found Brotherhood lacklustre and so therefore could not be bothered with Revelations. This is excellent however. It's perfectly developed as a sequel. A new engine gives it visual polish, tweaks the gameplay mechanics just enough to maintain familiarity whilst creating something tangibly new. The new protagonist is great and the narrative very compelling. If you're a fan of the original games, open world or action gaming in general it's a must buy. Also, it has that essential thing a lot of open world games miss, and is very hard to pin down - the world is compelling to explore! I've spent ages just messing around hunting and going smaller tasks - wonderful, and reminds me of the time I spent in Red Dead Redemption. Only complaint is that some elements are a little clunky, such as the menus and insertion of side missions rather arbitrarily. It's a minor issue though, I'd give it 9.5 is I could here. Expand
  42. Nov 12, 2012
    The first 3 hours of the game is spend developing the characters through gameplay, scripted sequences, and cut scenes... but after this the game opens up. Once the game gets going, there is much to do and a lot of fun to be had. AC3 seems a bit streamlined on the control, which you will either love or hate. It is more difficult to fall of a building for example. For me the AC series wasThe first 3 hours of the game is spend developing the characters through gameplay, scripted sequences, and cut scenes... but after this the game opens up. Once the game gets going, there is much to do and a lot of fun to be had. AC3 seems a bit streamlined on the control, which you will either love or hate. It is more difficult to fall of a building for example. For me the AC series was becoming too complex, more like a technical button masher, so the more user friendly controls are a welcome addition... and again you will either love or hate it. There is no shortage of things to do in AC3. I like the Homested and save the district from the Templar quests, but that just scratches the surface. There is now Naval warfare which looks amazing and has very good control. Overall the game is possible the best looking game on the XBOX 360. To see Connor walking through the snow leaving a path in his wake creates a level of realism that adds to the immersion of the game. I do not agree with the 9's and 10's given to the game as there are a fair amount of technical glitches... like AI pop ins, person floating in the air, quest person stuck in crowd for a good 30 secs almost making me fail the mission... etc. But all in all the gripes are minor and do little to tarnish what is an overwhelmingly good game. I give it a 8/10 Expand
  43. Jan 2, 2013
    I've been an AC fan since part 1 & this is the best version since AC2. The combat is close to perfect. The story is interesting. The graphics are great. Yes, I can see how some people would find this boring due to the time period that it's set in and the pacing early on in the game. I'm not one of these people. I loved AC3 from the second I turned it on. I think I'm about halfway through,I've been an AC fan since part 1 & this is the best version since AC2. The combat is close to perfect. The story is interesting. The graphics are great. Yes, I can see how some people would find this boring due to the time period that it's set in and the pacing early on in the game. I'm not one of these people. I loved AC3 from the second I turned it on. I think I'm about halfway through, but I hope I'm not because I love it so much.
    There really is a Red Dead Redemption vibe and that game was amazing, so.....
  44. Oct 30, 2012
    I just took this promising 3rd instalment for a test run, and because of it's sheer size, (and mostly because it just came out today), I'm in no position to post an accurate and objective review.. Which is why I'm giving it a 10/10. So far so good! So good that Assassins could prove to be even cooler than Zombies.
  45. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I just finished Assassin's Creed 3... um... really guys? That's how you end it? I mean really?! I mean I didn't think it could get any worse after limping my way to a bar and anticlimactically killing Charles Lee (The main all-powerful bad guy in the game) by simply leaning over casually and stabbing him, but it did... So a global aurora borealis happens and then whaaa?! Nothing?! Just credits and a glimpse of the mountain alien/A.I./whatever as it walks off chiding about it's victory? I know that may seem cryptic, but that's how it fuggin ends folks! Sorry if I'm ruining this for anyone but this game deserves to be ruined. It deserves it because it soiled the hours I put into completing the great 2/3 of the game I did like.

So right before you chase down Charles Lee, through a horribly scripted burning boat scene, I'd advise anyone playing this game right now to eject the game disc, smash it, and then send the remains to "I wonder why were going bankrupt? Oh yeah..." Ubisoft. Because that would be an infinitely better ending than the one they eventually give you.

Oh yeah and **** pivots. C+
  46. Dec 20, 2012
    Let me tell you a bit about this franchise first. It is without a doubt one of the gems of this generation of gaming, deserving all of the praise it gets from the fans and media if not more. It introduced so many good ideas that to this day have not been implemented perfectly into a complete game yet. Assassin's Creed 3 is no exception. But at least, it comes pretty damn close. It providesLet me tell you a bit about this franchise first. It is without a doubt one of the gems of this generation of gaming, deserving all of the praise it gets from the fans and media if not more. It introduced so many good ideas that to this day have not been implemented perfectly into a complete game yet. Assassin's Creed 3 is no exception. But at least, it comes pretty damn close. It provides the series with its most refreshing game since the first one, albeit lacking polish were some of the fundamentals were executed so well in its past iterations. The main problem with Assassin's Creed 3 its the fact that it was so overhyped. J blame ubisoft. Promising so much, wanting to give so much more, that it almost forgot what the series was all about. Scripted Missions, dull main character and an overall lack of polish make this game feel like it had the opportunity of being so much more than what it is. Where are the little canoes for exploration in the frontier? What happened to the great sense of freedom we had in prior tittles? Not to mention the many bugs present and glitches the game has. All this makes for a sense of lack of polish. Makes it feel like a rushed tittle. Makes it feel... lacking. All of that missing for what could have been a game for the ages. But this game does have a great storyline (albeit with its terrible ending) great side quests and loads of replayability. Not to mention an excelent multiplayer experience. This is the best assassin's creed yet. But not at all by far. Assassin's Creed 2 was a better step forward than Assassin's Creed 3. Expand
  47. Aug 4, 2013
    the assassins creed series is one of the best series in gaming and the previous installments have all been top quality. however this game is probably the weakest of the series. it is not a bad game but it is just frustrating how good this game could have been. the setting of the game is so interesting and full of mystery and history and as the series is famous for their alternative take onthe assassins creed series is one of the best series in gaming and the previous installments have all been top quality. however this game is probably the weakest of the series. it is not a bad game but it is just frustrating how good this game could have been. the setting of the game is so interesting and full of mystery and history and as the series is famous for their alternative take on the events of the past this is perfect for the series. however the game gets off to an insanely slow start. unfortunately there is so much going on this world yet you are stuck running from objective to objective to watch another cut scene as the game sets it self up. this didn't throw me off the game but left a rather sour taste in my mouth as the game often continued along this path. The game does a fantastic job in terms of graphics and the world yet falls short on creating interesting characters. Connor has no where near the charisma of ezio and the supporting cast other than the main villain, Charles Lee are all relatively stale. The game also does a great job introducing new mechanics and aspects of the game that refresh the series. The addition of hunting, naval battles and the almanacs as the collectibles rather than feathers all feel fresh and exciting in particular the naval battles which for me are the highlight of the game. AC3 also does a great job sticking to its roots as it adapts. the changes to the combat feel natural and the counters are still as brutal and bloody as ever.

AC3 is an enjoyable game but by no means the best game of the series. If the battles between the red and the blue coats had of been completed on a major scale and the character of connor was more likeable then this game could have been right there with AC2 and brotherhood.
  48. Feb 7, 2013
    By far my favourite assassins creed game. The combat is great the visuals also, the new location is defiantly my favourite setting. Connor Kenway is a great new character and his story is awesome. A few bugs here and there but not game breaking. Great game buy it now.
  49. Jan 24, 2014
    I loved AC2, and I enjoyed Brotherhood. I consider those two games the height of this series. But something was clearly lost after Brotherhood. I may piss some people off saying this, but Revelations and AC3 are utter garbage. There is almost nothing good about those two games in my brutally honest opinion. This whole "Those Who Came Before" plot line was novel and interesting in AC2,I loved AC2, and I enjoyed Brotherhood. I consider those two games the height of this series. But something was clearly lost after Brotherhood. I may piss some people off saying this, but Revelations and AC3 are utter garbage. There is almost nothing good about those two games in my brutally honest opinion. This whole "Those Who Came Before" plot line was novel and interesting in AC2, but in AC3 it has become pointless and feels like it should have been wrapped up a game or two ago. Combat again becomes simplified, and the game lacks interesting side stuff like the glyphs in AC2/Brotherhood. The main character is boring and uninteresting. At a lot of points in the game, you play for 5 minutes then watch a 10 minute cinematic. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when it happens this often I get annoyed. And, much like AC1, the voice actor for the main character is atrocious. AC1 was still enjoyable because it was an ambitious game that brought a playstyle into the industry not really seen before other than in Prince of Persia. But AC3 is the fifth installment in this franchise -- the gameplay is no longer a saving grace for bad voice acting, cheesy dialogue and a bad plot. I've heard AC4 is significantly better than this game and I sincerely hope so. I was severely disappointed with this title, as I also was with Revelations. If you care about the story, play the game for plot progression's sake -- otherwise, there really is no point in playing this game. These are just my opinions, and not objective criticism, which is a distinction I hope you make while reading my review. I loved AC before Revelations, so it's just an incredibly disappointing game for me. Expand
  50. Nov 17, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 - which is actually the fifth game in the whole story arc - is said to be Ubisofts biggest game to date. With huge anticipation and expectation from fans, can Ubisoft deliver on the revolution they have promised to the franchise?

Continuing right after Assassin's Creed Revelation left off, Desmond Miles and crew has set camp in an ancient cave where Desmond can relive the life of his ancestors. In the new setting of the colonial America, we follow Connor, a Mohawk Indian who will become the next assassin. Compared to all the protagonists, Connor is the weakest of them all. He is short spoken, never in a positive mood and is just overall an un compelling main character, but without spoiling anything, Connor is not the only character you will play as.

To be able to walk around 1700's Amerika is impressive and also as beautiful are all the forest. Its just a shame that the game has to load so often and these frequent loading screens will break the immersion. Gameplay wise, Assassins Creed 3 is much of the same. You can still climb the rooftops of Boston and New York, but its not as fun as in the previous games. The colonial America dosn't have as high and fabulous architecture as the Italian renaissance had. But to make up for it, you can for the first time in the franchise to climb on trees. Sadly, it dosent have the same flow as climbing buildings which can make it annoying.

The multyplayer is back and its good as ever. To be able to find and sneak up on your target before another player kills you have never been so heart pumping and fun. With perks to unlock and new gamemodes like Wolfpack - Assassin's Creed version of horde mode - will make you come back many times.

Probably the best addition to this game are the naval battles. To controll your ship, navigating the winds to catch up on your foes and then take them down with your cannons might be the best moments in this game. But with everything new, the game has lost focus of one of the most important aspects. The assassination. It has become less about finding an killing your target before getting seen. There is still some of that in here but not as much as it should.

Beating Assassins Creed 3 can take you 20 hours or so and more if you spend time completing side quests and playing the multyplayer. Even if the setting is nice, sailing your ship through dangerous waters and playing the multyplayer, there are many aspects to discourage players. It takes to long for the game to really begin, it can feel repetitive, the loading occurs to often, the economy system is broken and Connor is sont fun to hang out with. But despite the flaws, Assassins Creed 3 is still a good game. Its not the masterpiece we had hoped for but it is still fun to play. But dont feel surprised if you feel to play the older instalments instead.
  51. Feb 26, 2013
    One of the most frustrating games I've played. When it works it is brilliant and exhilarating; far too often, though, it feels simply like work. A chore. This is largely due to the fact that most side missions serve no purpose other than time filler (sea missions being the exception and the true high point of the game), and to the variable glitchy, twitchy controls--seems that at keyOne of the most frustrating games I've played. When it works it is brilliant and exhilarating; far too often, though, it feels simply like work. A chore. This is largely due to the fact that most side missions serve no purpose other than time filler (sea missions being the exception and the true high point of the game), and to the variable glitchy, twitchy controls--seems that at key moments the designers decided to slightly alter the control command for no apparent reason, and you end up failing full synchronization. Or in a final boss battle when suddenly you have to learn an entirely new control command scheme to succeed. At any rate, when i finished this game it was with no sense of joy or accomplishment-- just a grim determination to finish something I started. In other words, work. Expand
  52. Jun 7, 2013
    I scored this game a 5. And I think I am being a little generous in doing so.

The reason I believe that is because this game seemed to have looked at the prior AC games and everything they did (all the improvements made and all the feedback given) and then promptly ignored it all. The game starts you off as probably the most interesting and fun AC character ever, Haytham Kenway, and
    I scored this game a 5. And I think I am being a little generous in doing so.

The game starts you off as probably the most interesting and fun AC character ever, Haytham Kenway, and then at the end of that section of the game hits you with the two by four in the face revelation that shock! Haytham was a templar all along! *facepalm*
    The delivery and telegraphing of that particular fact was seen a mile off, and when it finally game out it was done in such a hamfisted way that I physically rolled my eyes.

You are then shifted onto the Connor sections of the game. And from there the whole thing just rolls downhill until its inevitable car crash at the end.
    Connor's youth VA is stilted, and incredibly fake sounding; and the impetus for his revenge was delivered in as pointless and hamfisted a manner as the Haytham-is-a-templar "revelation" it was eye rollingly bad. And he gets no better as an adult. His adult VA isn't as poor but honestly that is no saving grace as the adult "Connor" is the single dullest most annoying character I have ever seen (and I have sufferred through Adoring Fan in Oblivion).

When Connor isn't being dull, he is being a pointless douchenozzle. And his miraculous involvement in every single major historical event surrounding the independence war period defies belief. It gets to the point of immersion shatteringly bad.
    And then Connor's arc ends, not with having to fight your father Haytham (who was the Grand Master of the Americas Templar Order) but fight "General Lee" his second in command... Which doesn't make sense considering the impetus for the game is to stop his father and the Templars.

The game does do a better job of communicating the type of person that Desmond is. It shows him as rather brave and heroic and he comes off as pretty likeable. And the Desmond sections of the game don't feel as irritating or annoying in this game as they did in prior games; but I am unsure if that is a function of Connor being so dull that even Desmond looks better in comparison I don't know...
    And then we have that pointless car crash of an ending. I mean honestly what was it with 2012 games ending with 3 all having horribly stupid endings? Dear god.

Moving onto gameplay. None of the improvements that Brotherhood and Revelations made to the gameplay seem to have made it into this game. In fact it seems to have gottten worst because the devs seem to be trying to portray Connor along the lines of the Wizard archetype (with all his techie stuff) and over complicated the whole thing and implemented it all incredibly poorly.
    There is literally no point to going onto roofs at all in this game. And combat is a frustrating and irritating slog. The guards seem to be psychic; and the controls seem to be back to being twitchy and overly sensitive as they were in AC1.

The only part of this game I loved (and it seems to be universally loved) is the naval sections of this game. I bet I am not the only person in the world who said "I want a pirate game with these naval mechanics!"
    Evidentally I wasn't because we now have AC4: The Black Flag due out (less than 18 months after AC3 is not a good sign though) which centres the entire game around that mechanic.

This game... Buy it because you want the complete collection. But honestly it isn't worth suffering through.
  53. Nov 10, 2012
    I thought that this game was amazing. It is a little slow at the beginning and it isn't until a few hours in that the story actually begins to pick up. Aside from that though i have not had any problems. I had a graphics glitch occur once in the woods but aside from that no major bug issues. The game is very fun and the multiplayer is awesome. The combat system has been changed a littleI thought that this game was amazing. It is a little slow at the beginning and it isn't until a few hours in that the story actually begins to pick up. Aside from that though i have not had any problems. I had a graphics glitch occur once in the woods but aside from that no major bug issues. The game is very fun and the multiplayer is awesome. The combat system has been changed a little but i feel it is more satisfying. I would recommend picking up this game if your a fan of the series or if you just want to get into it. Expand
  54. Dec 12, 2012
    Well, we waited a while, and here it is. First, the good. Within the limits of the architecture of colonial America, the game is gorgeous. Not as impressive as Europe or Turkey, with their monuments, but its still very good looking. Free running is easier and far less of a chore except that you can't pass within six feet of a barrel without the game deciding that you wanted to jump on topWell, we waited a while, and here it is. First, the good. Within the limits of the architecture of colonial America, the game is gorgeous. Not as impressive as Europe or Turkey, with their monuments, but its still very good looking. Free running is easier and far less of a chore except that you can't pass within six feet of a barrel without the game deciding that you wanted to jump on top of it. But that doesn't matter much because the rooftops are so overpopulated with guards that you'll be spending most of your time on the ground anyway. Free running though the trees of the frontier is a pleasure, however. Ubisoft introduced a new naval mechanic, which deserves its own game. Finally, the world is huge and chock full of enemies to kill. All that is why I am a bit bemused at the games shortcomings. First of all, it is glitchy. Ok, it isn't a Fallout New Vegas level of disaster here,but I still wasn't able to liberate New York North more than 90% despite having done all the liberation missions. Ubisoft didn't put any view points there in an attempt to force exploration. I hope that they never do that again. I spent an entire afternoon mapping that pain in the rear part of town, looking for what I had missed. I found nothing. Then I gave up and went off to do some naval missions. When I came back, darned if North New York wasn't showing as being liberated. It seems that the game needs to reset before it will register the liberation of that area. Horse riding is a disaster. The occasional horse getting stuck in a watering trough I don't really mind, but I do mind trying to navigate on a horse that can jump fences but that stops dead at every tiny rock. The game also has the irksome quality of trying to hold my hand during missions. In previous games of the series I came to enjoy planning my kills and experimenting with different approaches, but ACIII mutinies whenever I do something it doesn't expect. Like my second grade teacher, ACIII can never resist telling me what to do and punishing me if I do anything else. Do anything that the designers didn't intend you to do and your game is likely to end. Full synchronization has become a way for the game to punish the player for not doing exactly what the designers think he should. It becomes a terrible bore very quickly. The combat system, which Ubisoft had nearly perfected in previous installments was badly dumbed down. I found the "time stopping" after a parry to be tiresome in the extreme. What, Ubisoft? it wasn't easy enough to begin with? The true strength of the AC franchise is its narrative and characters, which is one of the biggest reasons that I find myself a touch disappointed with AC III. The plot is, in a word, absurd. The overarching themes of liberty versus order and familial attachments versus perceived duty are satisfying enough, but the narrative strings together some pretty ridiculous plot elements. For example, I can't think of a single instance in which a Mohawk half breed with no experience with the military conventions of the day ever commanded a Continental Army in the field with no more than a few cursory instructions, which Connor does at the Battle of Concord. Nor can I imagine such a person, possessing zero nautical training, ever succeeding to the command of his own warship. Which warship, by the way, he keeps tied up behind his house as if it were a ski boat. These roles required years or decades of experience, which could not be acquired in a frontier basement. A guy like Connor might eventually make a decent platoon leader, but casting him in the simultaneous roles of brigadier general and ship captain is just too over the top to be believable. I appreciate that Ubisoft seems to have an agenda of inclusion, but if they are going to do that, then it has to work. The Connor persona doesn't work. The rather jarring notion of a person like Connor ever encountering the Assassins, much less becoming one, is something that could have used more exposition because, as he is, the Connor character requires too much suspension of disbelief. Too, Connor's naivete is as breathtaking as it is inappropriate for an assassin. He has no particular stake in the Assassins' mission.. He is all about his own parochial motives. In short, he just doesn't have the feel of an assassin. Ezio's story was immersive and compelling. Connor's story is a cartoon, and the problem stems from the fact that Ubisoft seems to have no vision of the assassins' order in the first place. We thought they did, but ACIII reveals the existence of an identity crisis regarding this franchise. The American Revolution might have lent itself to an AC story, but ACIII is not such a story. All that said, while this game is not exactly a jewel in Ubisoft's crown, ACIII is fun to play and worth the purchase, but ACII still remains the best of the series. Expand
  55. Aug 15, 2013
    I have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series since 2008, and played all the console releases so far. This entry in the series shows why the series is so great sometimes, spectacular views, fun combat and nice diversions. But it is a highly flawed game: the main missions force players to do their tasks in a certain manner, combat is frustrating(have to hit a single enemy three times toI have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series since 2008, and played all the console releases so far. This entry in the series shows why the series is so great sometimes, spectacular views, fun combat and nice diversions. But it is a highly flawed game: the main missions force players to do their tasks in a certain manner, combat is frustrating(have to hit a single enemy three times to a row to kill him, should you stop they heal) and the main lead is a rather dull character. But its still a game worth playing, just know its a frustrating and tedious. Expand
  56. Dec 14, 2013
    Having played AC 1 and 2, I was unsure of where they could take the series as 2 was an incredible piece of work. The answer is they got very ambitious and fell short. The opening is fun once, and by opening I mean first 10 hours. This game is not replayable, too many very long story sequences of linearized gameplay.

The good is that this game is beautiful, vast, complex, and has alot

The good is that this game is beautiful, vast, complex, and has alot of play time in it. Best part hands down were the ship missions. The free run mechanics continue to work great and further variety has been added to combat to keep it from stagnating.

Find this game discounted and it will not disappoint, but not a full retail purchase.
  57. Nov 6, 2012
    I do not like the low scores this game is getting, i dont get why.

I do not like the low scores this game is getting, i dont get why.

I have been a fan of assassins creed 3 since the first. This game is the best of them all. While yes, Conners character could have used more personality, everything else was perfect. Combat is 100% better than it ever was, IDK who the hell complains about the controls but they are smoother and work better than ever. The graphics are unreal, even better than Halo 4. The story while nothing crazy, it is pretty awesome being a part of old american events. This game i gave a 10 because it deserves a 9.5 or higher and nothing less. I dont see why it got anything lower than a 9, to me, if they would have given conner more of a personality, this game would have been perfect.
  58. Nov 4, 2012
    The best Assassin's Creed in the series. This game delivers from the beginning, you have some tweaked mechanics that work really well as you fluently glide through all that oppose you. The story is captivating and engrossing, you get sucked into a world of characters that matter, with a writer that knows what he's doing. The visuals are stunning, with probably the most gorgeous waterThe best Assassin's Creed in the series. This game delivers from the beginning, you have some tweaked mechanics that work really well as you fluently glide through all that oppose you. The story is captivating and engrossing, you get sucked into a world of characters that matter, with a writer that knows what he's doing. The visuals are stunning, with probably the most gorgeous water movements and physics I've ever seen. You have a masterful soundtrack, with some great action cues, and a usually stellar cast. That said, while Connor has character he can be a little thin or misguided, there are quite a few technical glitches, and I'd love to play the multiplayer, but it really is unplayable for many at the moment. The ending also put me off a little, and is somewhat reminiscent of Mass Effect's. But all of that aside you have one of the best games of the year, there's a wealth of content and really so much to do, so much to traverse and experience, that I can't effectively describe it all. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  59. Dec 6, 2012
    K LikE g00d game but like why is their old guns??!?!?!?!?!?! I want my m14's!!!!! Like evry Game these days ha m14's and rpgs but this gam DOESNT! Lol imma o back to cod
  60. Nov 8, 2012
    First off if you review this game before you get your assasins suit as Conner then you are doing this game an injustice. The graphics may be the best I've seen even though I do think that a lot when I get a new game. There are bugs and glitches but it is a video game people and the world is huge. I actually think the bugs are funny sometimes like a horse walking backwards up a wall or oneFirst off if you review this game before you get your assasins suit as Conner then you are doing this game an injustice. The graphics may be the best I've seen even though I do think that a lot when I get a new game. There are bugs and glitches but it is a video game people and the world is huge. I actually think the bugs are funny sometimes like a horse walking backwards up a wall or one time I was swimming and a guy was fishing on the shore when I got close he jumped into the water and disappeared. Not a game breaker for me actually kind of funny. The missions in the beginning are boring but I'm asuming that its for the newcomers to the series and tells the story. I love the setting and some people on here are saying the cities look the same and there aren't enough tall buildings to climb. I pretty sure it did all look basically the same and there weren't that many tall buildings in those days. This isn't assasins creed 2 but it is similar in design but a lot better. The combat imo is good it is different and takes a little time to get used to but now I can fight twenty guys and not get touched like on arkam city except its better because when your done everyone is dead and bleeding AWESOME!! Ok game is great what about the multiplayer that almost noone is mentioning. It is fantastic and even better than single player if you're in the right mood. I love this game and will probably get a 10 from me by the time I finish it. Get it play it love it but give it a chance before you bash it. If this game is so bad what game is so good. Red dead hell no gta no and plaese don't say ac2 because this game takes it and multiplies it by 100!!! Let me know what you think. Expand
  61. Dec 20, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is truly a great piece of work, and one of the finest video games I have played in recent times. The game is dripping with gorgeous atmosphere, and very well designed environments. One can spend hours on end simply venturing around the frontier and exploring every corner of a very wide and diverse map. The combat is fairly simple, and I found myself adapting to it withAssassin's Creed III is truly a great piece of work, and one of the finest video games I have played in recent times. The game is dripping with gorgeous atmosphere, and very well designed environments. One can spend hours on end simply venturing around the frontier and exploring every corner of a very wide and diverse map. The combat is fairly simple, and I found myself adapting to it with relative ease. While the campaign is being critiqued at around 10-12 hours, I personally have put around 8 hours into the title without even obtaining my assassin's robe with yet with Conner. There are plenty of ways to stay engaged with this game and truly soak everything in. I will admit that this is the first Assassin's Creed game I have ever played on my own, but really and truly if any of it's predecessors are truly 'better' titles than this game, than I believe this may become one of my favorite video game franchises. Expand
  62. Nov 1, 2012
    Okay, I've just beaten the game and I really think the Single Player to AC3 is brilliant, however, I did have a slight problem with how the some of the things in the game worked. For example, the subtitles weren't syncing with what someone was saying, so when Connor was speaking Indian it would take a while for it to change over to the next part of his sentence. Also, there was a bunchOkay, I've just beaten the game and I really think the Single Player to AC3 is brilliant, however, I did have a slight problem with how the some of the things in the game worked. For example, the subtitles weren't syncing with what someone was saying, so when Connor was speaking Indian it would take a while for it to change over to the next part of his sentence. Also, there was a bunch lighting glitches in some of the cutscenes too. Whilst I'm on the cutscenes, the loading screens where narrative was given, that wasn't synced either, or didn't feel it. Another problem I had is the climbing system but it has always annoyed me. However, saying all these horrible things, the game looks beautiful, there are multiple things you can do such as gambling, help make a new communities, take over cities etc. The Multiplayer is pretty much same as the others, I haven't played the new gametype as of yet but the menu looks sexy, I ain't going to lie.

I hope this cleared some of the problems
  63. Nov 5, 2012
    To quickly sum up:
    Graphics 9/10 Only glitches let it down.
    Sound 8.5/10 Longevity 10/10 Presentation (the history infused is particularly impressive) 10/10 Story 7/10 Mission variety 5/10 Game play 6/10 Killing enemies is boring half the time and quite fun the rest of the time. Free-running is far too easy and boring, as all you do is holding down R1 and aim where to jump.
    To quickly sum up:
    Graphics 9/10 Only glitches let it down.
    Story 7/10
    Mission variety 5/10
    Game play 6/10 Killing enemies is boring half the time and quite fun the rest of the time. Free-running is far too easy and boring, as all you do is holding down R1 and aim where to jump. Overall 7/10 If Ubisoft spent a month fine tuning the game play, to make the player control more of Conner and reduced glitches it would be a 9/10.

Good: The graphics and sound are very good, combined with what the people in assassin
  64. Nov 5, 2012
    They succeeded in making the same game again. It's prettier now but it's essentially the same as the previous two with an even more boring combat system (the old one was already a zero threat snooze fest). Lots of glitches and bugs in this one as well. I've always found these AC games somewhat boring and easy but this one was much worse in respect to combat. I'm surprised there are so manyThey succeeded in making the same game again. It's prettier now but it's essentially the same as the previous two with an even more boring combat system (the old one was already a zero threat snooze fest). Lots of glitches and bugs in this one as well. I've always found these AC games somewhat boring and easy but this one was much worse in respect to combat. I'm surprised there are so many positive reviews it makes me wonder how many employees have metacritic accounts. Expand
  65. Nov 5, 2012
    This likely won't be a new position, but I'll start my review by stating that I've played every single Assassin's Creed game through to completion - 1, 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations, playing 1 and 2 twice each. I'm not some newcomer to the series. Which is why I am pained to say that AC3 is a massive let-down. To begin with, players are thrust into the series' running protagonist,This likely won't be a new position, but I'll start my review by stating that I've played every single Assassin's Creed game through to completion - 1, 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations, playing 1 and 2 twice each. I'm not some newcomer to the series. Which is why I am pained to say that AC3 is a massive let-down. To begin with, players are thrust into the series' running protagonist, Desmond Miles in a moderately interesting first sequence that serves as an intro to new players and a refresher for series veterans. This sequence contains an irritatingly un-skippable tutorial on how to perform free-running actions (hint: hold RT and the game chooses where you go. It's that blindingly simple). The tutorial grinds on for an agonizing 10 minutes or so. It was not a good omen of things to come. As other reviewers have mentioned, the first (almost) 10 hours of the game is essentially a drawn-out intro to the game. I'm probably a good 7 hours in and I still haven't gotten access to the second city, New York. C'mon dev's - cut me loose. The exposition is a painfully long slog through various new (and old) AC gameplay elements, including the new hunting "feature" (clearly added in order for devs to talk about something at trade shows), the fun-as-it-sounds accounting system for your new homestead, and the surprisingly exciting naval combat sequences. Obviously, since my campaign experience is not yet complete, I cannot review it to its fullest; however, I can (and will) review gameplay mechanics. They are, to put it mildly, frustrating. Holding RT to free run was touted by Ubisoft as a 'revolutionary' gameplay choice. "You no longer need to hold both RT and A to free run / parcour / climb," they said. Well, frankly, this change should not have been implemented. There's a reason why the two were separated. In the old system, players could run by holding RT in order to sprint around roads within towns, without needing to worry about accidentally climbing up buildings or onto market carts. With the new one button system, I find myself wanting to run around towns, but having Connor consistently trying to run up a building instead of staying confined to the ground. Its a frustrating and entirely unnecessary element to the game that serves to make me hate each increasing moment I spend in the AC3 world. Couple this with the intensely finnicky combat system and the game is more of a chore to play than an exercise in enjoyment. The combat system just feels less refined than in prior games, including the very clunky system of AC1. Parrying / countering attacks is intensely hit-and-miss, with Connor performing the action with maybe half of my button presses. Moreover, the game asserts that hitting X after parrying with B should perform a counter move in which Connor attacks his attacker. This does not happen. Ever. As a result, combat becomes yet another chore, in addition to running between objectives. But what about free-running? Surely that must be good, right? Nope. AC3 has given players less of a choice of where Connor free-runs and has seemingly introduced a system where the game makes jumping choices for the player. On the surface, this may seem like a positive, but when you're in a chase and you want Connor to jump from a roof to another and instead he jumps on the chimney of the first house, causing another death, it gets old. I analogize this new system to an overly-tuned auto-aim feature in a FPS game. Too much auto aim and you find your character aiming at enemies that you aren't trying to attack. All in all, it seems to me that Ubisoft tried to do too much with AC3. The gameplay mechanics worked much better in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations. Freerunning was more fluid, combat was more fluid, everything was simply *easier*. And not easier in a sense of difficulty level. Easier, in that the system made more sense. I knew where Connor would go, because I would point him in that direction and execute the proper button sequence (RT to run on the ground, RT+A to run). Combat was much less hit-and-miss. When I pressed the button to counter, Ezio would counter. Simple as that. AC3 is more of a chore to me than a game. I want to finish it because I want to see how the story plays out. But with every increasing minute I play AC3, I find myself wanting to play less AC3. And all of this doesn't even touch the other issues I've run into. One hard freeze, where my Xbox completely locked up in the middle of a story mission, one where my character motions were in 50% speed until I restarted my console and an assassination mission where, after killing my target, the completion sequence did not trigger, so I was forced to do another restart. And when gameplay mechanics are decidedly below-average, re-doing a mission because of technical glitches becomes an extreme irritant. I wanted to love AC3. I really did. And the work put in makes it clear that the devs did too. They just tried to do too much. Expand
  66. JB-
    Nov 6, 2012
    I just finished the game yesterday I thought it was great although I thought maybe it was going to be harder to defeat your father.. Also I can't find a way to get more arrows and bullets like you could in Revelations.
  67. Nov 12, 2012
    Hmmmm.... Where to begin! As a fan of the Assassins Creed series I was expecting more from AC3. The first game was hard to get through because it was so repetitive but from then on the series has improved with each game. Ezio is one of my favourite game characters of all time, he's cool and has a charm, he's likeable, unlike Connor. Which brings me onto the 1st problem with the game; theHmmmm.... Where to begin! As a fan of the Assassins Creed series I was expecting more from AC3. The first game was hard to get through because it was so repetitive but from then on the series has improved with each game. Ezio is one of my favourite game characters of all time, he's cool and has a charm, he's likeable, unlike Connor. Which brings me onto the 1st problem with the game; the main man, the guy you have to put up with the whole game, he's boring, I don't like him. If I were to compare the characters, Ezio would be a Bugatti Veyron; fast and exciting, whereas Connor would be a cardboard box; yes he's useful but he's so bland and monotone! Before I go any further I will say that I'm only about 6-7 hours into the game so this is just my thoughts so far but seriously, there is enough to not like ALREADY!

One thing I've heard a lot about is the glitches.... and there are a lot. When you look at the shear size of something like Skyrim you can forgive the glitches but I just can't see past them in AC3 when the other games have been relatively "glitch-free" in my experience. On one occasion I was looking for a bear to kill and after finding one and getting into a bit of man vs. bear, it got stuck in a tree! It was just there, walking around on the spot in a tree! Another noticeable glitch was on a recent mission where I walked up behind 2 guards to perform a double kill which not only failed, resulting in me only killing one guard, the other guard just walked away! He didn't even blink! One other glitch saw me jump out of a tree to assassinate a rabbit/hare, which promptly ran away and left me free falling through the ground into emptiness! I expect more considering the standards set with the previous games. Other things that I think have been ruined slightly is the free running. Now you can just run by holding the right trigger and he will stop if he comes to a jump that he can't make or a drop that is too high. Personally, that takes away some of the skill. Previously I had to control Ezio carefully otherwise I could jump to my death, which to be honest adds some realism to the game. This is now not possible because Connor is a **** Also when climbing buildings previously you could use the A button to jump to a higher ledge that you couldn't normally reach, which involved a little bit of timing but now this is automatic, again something I'm disappointed about. My major gripe is the health regeneration which I think makes the game just too easy. It is almost impossible to die in a fight because if you are low on health you can sit back and hold B, which parries almost every attack automatically without any timing needed, wait until your health regenerates (which is pretty quick) and carry on fighting. It now takes away the need to run away from anyone to buy some medicine or visit a doctor, you can just walk around kicking ass and regenerating health without a care in the world. It's not all bad, there are some good things. The game is visually stunning for one. Climbing to the top of a building and admiring the view is something you may find yourself doing from time to time. The weather is brilliant too, especially when a thunderstorm hits. I also like the addition of the Rope Dart which is kind of like a lasso which you can use to pull enemies closer, drag them off of their horse or hang them from a chimney! There's also some open ocean missions where you take to the sea at the helm of a ship, firing cannons and engaging in naval warfare which I have found exciting and quite enjoyable, not to mention very impressive to the look at. You do get to control Desmond a little bit more but only time will tell if you get to control him as much as I would like. When AC3 was first announced I wanted it to be focused on Desmond. Running around New York, scaling buildings and the like would be brilliant.

Lastly, the game is very slow to get going. It's only just got going for me so hopefully my rating will improve, but at the moment it's scraping a 7 out of 10.
  68. Jan 18, 2013
    This game had the mechanic to be the best Assassin's Creed ever, but it was the worse in my opinion (considering the release date). Don't understand me bad, I'm a great fan of franchise, I buy it every year and if release a new I will buy it again, but this game gave me a attack of rage that I want give a score of 0 to it.

And why am I so disappointed? The main campaign is excellent,

And why am I so disappointed? The main campaign is excellent, full of reverses, it really surprises you. Connor is an amazing character, he is pretty different from Altair and Ezio which gives him a own mark. The great defect of the game are the most weak side missions of ever AC. In AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations we have made missions of ASSASSINS what includes espionage, steal and the most important: assassination. But in AC3 this missions are very rare, there are a lot of farm's missions (for children) that the own Connor says in one of them: "The things I make for this place."
    There are some good missions in the city to recruit new assassins to the order, but they are just acceptable.

There would be no problem in add farm's missions (just to remember: they are for children) to Connor's adventure, but without remove what I learned to love in previous experiences.

And there is more: AC is a game that permits you be free, you can kill the target any way you want, in stealth way or like a barbarian entering in a scandalous fight, but in 3rd edition you is obliged to do a second option, very rare the moments you can make all sneaking (just in forts and missions of main campaign)

This should be an action-adventure game with STEALTH ELEMENTS, but they removed almost all the stealth.

Because this, it was a major deception I have had when the matter is videogame, I hope it change in 2013.
  69. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ...Continues from previous comment:

What I didn't like:
    - The LAG: It is the first thing you notice when you start playing the game, do not lie to yourselves guys, this games lags, and it does it horribly. How can this happen in 2012? When you get to Boston or New york the game is almost unplayable, all immersive feeling towards the game you might have achieved absolutely breaks up when you see that painfull, unforgivable lag.
    -The glitches:Unforgivable Ubisoft... glitches in this game are a bad joke.
    - The fight system: somethings are better, the blood is great, but i HATE the camera; character seems so far away when you're fighting and you wish you cold just look closer. Besides, you get a feeling of "Arkham city" with this new fighting system, one button magically blocks the attack, and then you can counter. If that was the intention, let me tell you that Assassin's Creed never needed to copy or imitate another game's fighting system... well, that's how I felt when playing it.
    - Too much running: The missions were like: Frontier to Boston, Boston to frontier, frontier to New york, New york to frontier, Frontier to homestead, homestead to frontier, frontier to boston, and so ON, it was like they were forcing you to go through the world over and over for you to see how wonderful it was, or using fast travel everytime, but there's no fun in that either...
    - Besides the incredibly BIG setting, you feel limited at times. I wish I could haev thrown the tomahawk, wish you could choose between leaving the hood on or off with a button, felt limited when switching weapons cause it took too much time for example to pick the horse to be able to whistle and call it. Thought the round weapon invetory system of previous games was easier to use.
    - Too many cutscenes (spoiler): If you have beaten the game, you know that you don't kill the bad guy, you watch Connor kill the bad guy in a cutscene... what's up with that?? - Atmosphere: You never feel quite as "inside the game's world" as with previous assassin's creed games where setting and music and graphics combined perfectly while pulling you into the middle of this incredible world.
    - Short story: From Brotherhood on i have always felt these games are way too short. Being able to explore and hunt for hours or have a lot of fun in multiplayer shouldn't compensate for a short story.
    - Desmond: since revelations he is getting uglier. Looks like a completely different person.
    -Horses: It has always bugged me that you can't go faster when horsebackriding inside a city or town, it is ridiculous. Same with not being able to run inside some taverns, it is way too frustrating to have to walk slow because the game wants you to.

What i liked about AC3:

-New running system: Feels more real to run with connor, and it is great to jump between trees.
    -The frontier/Homestead: running through the open field is a charm, you fell free, in contact with nature, away from the noise of the cities and the guards chasing you. It's where I usually hang out when i've had a stressful day.
    -Naval Warfare: In one word: AWESOME.
    -Animals, children: Everything feels much more alive and real when you put animals and children in it. Previously we got to see only adults and horses...
    - Seasons: the depth of snow is great among other cool things about having seasons. And also the rain and thunder is a really good addition to the series.
    - Character development: I agree game starts painfully slow, but it is cool to see how Connor grows up and becomes an Assassin. Although you feel like it is a proggressive development, in the end you feel like you become an Assassin way too fast when you're told "Ok, you can wear the suit now".
    -Peaking through corners: great! only thing left is being able to crouch and move more stealthy.
    -Everything about the landscapes, cities, forests, trees, grass, houses, fences, sky, water... too bad it lags like hell.
    -Locking system: well it's not a great improvement but i like to run sometimes with the close camera, gives it another 3rd person perspective.
    -Blending: great job with this, it's so much simpler to blend almost anywhere.

There might be other things I'm forgetting right now, but as for now I hope the patch Ubisoft is offering fixes all that it says it will, and I also hope it helps a little with the excessive lag, which is what bothers me the most about this game.

Thank you for reading, waiting for AC4 now.
  70. Nov 24, 2012
    I actually created an account just so I could post a review for this game. I can't even say how frustrated and disappointed I am with it. I loved the original Assassin's Creed, and Assassin'c Creed 2 and Brotherhood were masterpieces. Things started to go off the rails for me with Revelations, the game felt rushed and the character models (particularly for Desmond) were just plainI actually created an account just so I could post a review for this game. I can't even say how frustrated and disappointed I am with it. I loved the original Assassin's Creed, and Assassin'c Creed 2 and Brotherhood were masterpieces. Things started to go off the rails for me with Revelations, the game felt rushed and the character models (particularly for Desmond) were just plain weird. So when they announced this game I was a bit nervous since Revelations had seemed like such a rush job. Well, my fears were well founded. This game is a DISASTER. Ubisoft should be sued for releasing such a terrible, unfinished game and should seriously be ashamed to release something this broken and frustrating to play. Connor's story is disjointed and dull and Desmond's story, well, other people have commented what a letdown it was. But mostly it's just more frustrating than fun to play. Too many glitches, too much running around on a horse pressing the B button to get something done and hope you don't get shot. Even combat is grueling. I find myself restarting a checkpoint when I get into combat with a large number of redcoats because it's impossible to win. This game isn't so much a step back was it is a tumble down the cliff. I'll never buy another Assassin's Creed game again. Expand
  71. Dec 27, 2012
    BORING AND BROKED GAME! 9 or 9.5 for this game is a f#cking joke. Lame characters and lame story that involves the 2012 mayan apocalypse. Yes, it really looks like they wrote the storyline on a restaurant's napkin while taking elements of a popular myth because they couldn't think of creating something new or innovating. The combat system is laughably bad! I can't fight against the britishBORING AND BROKED GAME! 9 or 9.5 for this game is a f#cking joke. Lame characters and lame story that involves the 2012 mayan apocalypse. Yes, it really looks like they wrote the storyline on a restaurant's napkin while taking elements of a popular myth because they couldn't think of creating something new or innovating. The combat system is laughably bad! I can't fight against the british soldiers with a straight face while witnessing the HORRIBLE combat animation and brainless hordes of enemies. The main character (Connor) is more boring than Sheppard! He's so charismatic as a f#cking plant! The lame and tedious story doesn't help either. The only good thing about this game is the Open World , navy battles and the cool ambiance of the colonial USA period, THAT'S IT. Everything else is garbage or boring. Ordinary side missions and the extreme linearity in the main missions are f#cking frustrating! Tons of bugs broke the immersion and irrational AI creates weird situations. Don't buy this game! Expand
  72. Dec 2, 2012
    What a complete waste of time. I actually could't play this game for more than two hours at a time, fearing my heart would give in from my frustration:-) Every aspect of this game i worse than even AC1. Let aside the battles at sea whitch was new and great. The buttons, the story, gameplay, grafics, caracters, conversations, cutcenes, I could go on and on, they all suck! Do not buy thisWhat a complete waste of time. I actually could't play this game for more than two hours at a time, fearing my heart would give in from my frustration:-) Every aspect of this game i worse than even AC1. Let aside the battles at sea whitch was new and great. The buttons, the story, gameplay, grafics, caracters, conversations, cutcenes, I could go on and on, they all suck! Do not buy this game, and spare yourselves from a lot of pain. Alex Hutchinson name is now burned in to my brain, and i will forever shun from anything he puts his name on Expand
  73. Dec 11, 2012
    I've never felt compelled to write a review before but because there isn't the sort of hateful sentiment this game deserves, I thought someone should say it. THIS INSTALLMENT PUTS THE TWO ASS'S IN ASSASSIN. I don't understand why critics have been giving it so much praise. You'd think they'd be all the more ready to kill this game. It leads me to believe that they never even played it.I've never felt compelled to write a review before but because there isn't the sort of hateful sentiment this game deserves, I thought someone should say it. THIS INSTALLMENT PUTS THE TWO ASS'S IN ASSASSIN. I don't understand why critics have been giving it so much praise. You'd think they'd be all the more ready to kill this game. It leads me to believe that they never even played it. Because if they had, they'd see how poorly written it is, how many glitches it has and how the fighting and running mechanics are dumbed down to the point that they're both too easy and frustratingly poor. This game must not have been very thoroughly tested and it was definitely rushed. We can't expect good games from developers if fans and critics alike enjoy being force fed hyped studio poo. P.S. The naval battles kick ass, though. Expand
  74. Dec 13, 2012
    I really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hatedI really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hated Assassins Creed I. The side activities are pointless, I got bored very quickly when I discovered that most side missions required of me to watch two or more loading screens, walk half the map to just beat a random dude or to do a simple fetch quest to some generic NPC. The game is just a big interactive movie, the story is decent, but is no way as good as assssin's creed II . I really don't understand, why Ubisoft want to turn all their games into interactive movies. Do you like interactive movies? Buy Walking dead instead (the story is way better and its cheaper too). Do you like open world games? Better games for you: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Read Dead Redemption. Do you really want to buy an assassins creed game? Buy assassins creed II (it's still a game an not an interactive movie, will not bore you to death with endless cutscenes, the story is way better). Really want to buy this game? Better buy used or wait for the price to drop. If you buy this game for $ 60,00, you are just wasting your money and if this game sales are good, I fear for the future of the franchise. Expand
  75. Dec 29, 2012
    The cut scenes. They are never ending. And if you try to skip, you walk around in a white light for as long as the cut scene would be. The things you would think DOESN'T causes suspicion does, and vice-verca. It seems like a bad attempt at arkham city
  76. Jan 24, 2013
    +Awesome Campaign
    +Side Missions
    +Cool Multiplayer
    +Graphics And the art of the game is a masterpiece

-Bugs

Assassin's Creed III is an awesome game
  77. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I worried AC3 would be bad as soon as I heard the setting was to be Revolutionary America but since I'd enjoyed the whole series I persevered and gave it a try what a mistake. This game is so mind-numbingly poor and, worst of all, boring (the cardinal sin of gaming) that it's actually turned me off gaming. If there were going to be any further AC sequels I'd certainly avoid them and save my money after this travesty. I don't know who at Ubisoft is responsible for this fiasco of a game but if it was down to me I would fire their ass. I have absolutely no idea why people are giving this 10 when it's so obviously poor I hardly know where to start. It's biggest sin is how boring it is I can imagine sailing across the Atlantic in the olden days was a very tedious process but do I want to experience this seemingly in real time in a game? No thanks. Likewise (spoilers ahead) the ending where you track down Charles Lee is literally the most boring sequence I have ever played you're basically mysteriously injured by a rogue piece of wood while chasing Charles Lee (lame!) so you have to spend the next ten or fifteen minutes limping at 1 mph to track him down to a tavern where you don't even get to kill him, it's just a cut scene (I hate that, I might as well just watch a movie!). There's not even a prompt to press a button to execute him...how lazy is that?!! And then just when you thought it couldn't get much more boring you're back to Desmond in the modern day for a super-tedious sequence where you have to explore the underground cavern to unlock some door. If you can keep your eyes open to complete this sequence that's basically the end of the game play because the rest of it is just a cut scene where you're insulted with one of the worst game endings in history. I get the feeling since the game makers had copied Red Dead Redemption so much already they thought they'd also attempt a controversial ending but whereas Red Dead's ending was jaw-dropping strangely moving, AC3's ending is just a complete travesty a joke and practically an insult to the legions of gamers who had invested so much money in the series.

As many people have noted the game is also swamped with bugs and a lot of the animation even in the cut scenes is ropey error-strewn...sometimes the characters mouths don't even move when they talk who the hell signed off on that before the game was released?? The frontier setting is interesting but just reminded me of the far far superior "Red Dead Redemption". The only part I actually enjoyed were the sea battles which were something new and different.

I've never been so disappointed in a game, it felt like a real chore just to finish it (almost like doing homework!) and a game should be the opposite of this, you should not want to put down the controller. For the first time ever I feel like asking for my money back and I'm not that sort of person at all. If you want to save yourself some time or money avoid this game like the plague. If you're a fan of the series, give it a miss and just remember the good times of earlier games in the series back when the settings were just right, the characters interesting and the plot lines intriguing.
  78. Feb 26, 2013
    la verdad que me gusto bastante.Empiezo hablando de la historia, Me gusto mucho me tuvo atrapado en todo el juego(como en cualquier assassins) con algunos giros en la historia que te deja =O ,pero bue que le vamos a hacer. Una de las mejores historias de toda la saga(para mi),y de paso aprendí un poquito mas sobre la revolución americana.La jugabilidad estuvo bien, con algunos fallos perola verdad que me gusto bastante.Empiezo hablando de la historia, Me gusto mucho me tuvo atrapado en todo el juego(como en cualquier assassins) con algunos giros en la historia que te deja =O ,pero bue que le vamos a hacer. Una de las mejores historias de toda la saga(para mi),y de paso aprendí un poquito mas sobre la revolución americana.La jugabilidad estuvo bien, con algunos fallos pero esta bien. Gráficamente hermoso, buen juego de sombras lastima por las sombras en los rostros que se ven feas,una ambientación genial ,mucho para explorar ,mapa mas o menos grande. Lo otro que me gusto, pero es algo muy mínimo, es que cuando corres por la nieve corra lento, ese realismo me gusto que en algunos juegos corres igual en cualquier terreno. Lo otro también que esta genial son las batallas navales son unas de las cosas que mas me gusta. Si no fuera por la cantidades de bugs y glitches que trae el juego sería de 10.A y me olvide del sistema de cerraduras de mierda que sigo rabiando que todavía no lo puedo hacer bien, pero eh mejorado e.e (me re fui del tema). En general Assassins creed 3 es un excelente juego a pesar de sus cosas malas, un juego que,mejor dicho, una saga que nadie tiene que dejar pasar por alto si no lo has jugado que estas esperando Expand
  79. Mar 22, 2013
    Such a heartbreaker! Been a fan of AC since the beginning and have loved the adventure/history blend. Am also a fan of the American Revolution. AC's gameplay has always been stellar... until now. The game is one big glitch. Don't know if I'll buy AC: IV. Yes, it has pirates but this player has been burned.
  80. Ebu
    Mar 27, 2013
    Many people about this game because there hasn't been so much hype for a video game since.. well ever. If there wouldn't have been the hype it had, a lot less people would been disappointed. I on the other hand enjoyed this game maybe even more than AC 2 which was magnificent. Sure it had bugs which lowed my review to 9 instead of 10 (although they have made a patch to prevent majorMany people about this game because there hasn't been so much hype for a video game since.. well ever. If there wouldn't have been the hype it had, a lot less people would been disappointed. I on the other hand enjoyed this game maybe even more than AC 2 which was magnificent. Sure it had bugs which lowed my review to 9 instead of 10 (although they have made a patch to prevent major bugs). Also at some points the game was a bit boring probably because of the 'political' parts. To continue the negative parts I have to say without spoiling of course the ending for Desmond is a bit lame. The guy needs a better ending. Connor was a great character as I somehow liked the fact that he almost never smiled and was a bit frustrated at times.. And he had his reasons for the anger. Yet he never stopped trying to get his people's freedom. Favourite assassin for me. What I also enjoyed was the Naval battles. Now that they've announced Assassin's Creed IV with lots of Naval warfare makes me thrilled as it was one of my favourite parts of AC III. Another great new addition was also made and nobody can deny it: tree runs, tree climbing, tree parkour, whatever you want to call it. This felt fresh and intense everytime Connor leaped from branch to branch. in addition the air assassinations and hanging soldiers with the rope dart felt so cool everytime I made them happen. Another addition was hunting. Even adding animals was new to AC. It was brilliant how the animals moved around doing their own things (or just bugging against a tree). Everytime I saw a bear I was ready to hit it with my hidden blade. So to sum up Assassin's Creed III is a wonderful game with a lot of effort put to it (excluding bugs) and a fresh new look. The best Assassin's Creed game in my opinion. Expand
  81. Apr 2, 2013
    Best game of the franchise! Ranks straight As in these categories:: Story A+, voice acting A+, gameplay A+, graphics A, Control A+++. Builds on what the Thief, Metal Gear franchises started (stealth genre) and makes it accessible to the masses, with a bang up story to boot. Give it a try. 'Nough said
  82. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is the definition of a major disappointment. It had so much potential to be amazing, and instead we got a very mediocre game. Extremely mediocre honestly. Where do I even start. The combat is stiff and restricting, the free-running is annoying and a step backwards from previous games, the enemy a.i is bad, the map is uninteresting and not even fun to explore and worst of all:TheThis game is the definition of a major disappointment. It had so much potential to be amazing, and instead we got a very mediocre game. Extremely mediocre honestly. Where do I even start. The combat is stiff and restricting, the free-running is annoying and a step backwards from previous games, the enemy a.i is bad, the map is uninteresting and not even fun to explore and worst of all:The game is boring to play. I mean there were a few good moments in the game, but there's not enough of them to truly say this is a good game. The game was so boring at some points, I was nearly put to tears. The protagonist is dull, the main missions are repetitive and restricting, and the map is a chore to explore.The game is beautiful to look at, but that's about it. Oh and I forgot to mention how the game's ending is awful. This game sucks. My rating: 6.1/10 Expand
  83. Apr 28, 2013
    This game was a major disappointment.The begging of the game took forever to get to the fighting.Even though the combat is really fun,the game is so boring.
  84. Jun 18, 2013
    While the game manages to approve from it's predecessor in many cases it also suffers from several framerate issues along with some minor steps backwards including a false protagonist that is rather frustrating to play as for the first two hours of the game and an ending that will disappoint fans immensely. Regardless of these issues Assassin's Creed III goes on to provide players with aWhile the game manages to approve from it's predecessor in many cases it also suffers from several framerate issues along with some minor steps backwards including a false protagonist that is rather frustrating to play as for the first two hours of the game and an ending that will disappoint fans immensely. Regardless of these issues Assassin's Creed III goes on to provide players with a fantastic look on the secret hero of the american revolution and many hours of collectibles for good replay value.

85. Dec 27, 2013
    Great graphics and features but poor history and the main character is just not charismatic like Ezio or Altair. Lots of boring stealth missions.. Not very fun I just want to finish it quick to get to the next one..
  86. Ed_
    Oct 30, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III is the second best game in the series after AC2.

The game runs without any problem, graphics and controls are amazing and precise. After Revelation the story was a freshness for me: enjoyable, eventful and enthralling. For me, the age in which the game is set, American Revolution, was enough to love the game. Playing on the side of the patriots against the
    Assassin's Creed III is the second best game in the series after AC2.

For me, the age in which the game is set, American Revolution, was enough to love the game. Playing on the side of the patriots against the British oppressors who are happened to be templars is fantastic. The customization of Connor and his ship is far the best part of the game only after the story, plus the possibility to build up and upgrade your small town was another great idea which is again unmissable.
    Regarding the story, playing Haytham and Connor made possibly the best mixture to feel empathy to both characters and their understanding of the World and politics. Despite their disagreement on things they can work together but only with some misunderstandings. Haytham is more cool and opportunist character who often argues his son's seriousness and inability to adapt to different kind of situations.
    Finally the British and American accents in the game give extra pleasure to the gameplay.

All in all, the game deserves 10 points which means I can bravely recommend this high quality game to anybody!
  87. Mar 7, 2013
    Assassins Creed 3 feels like a remarkable step forward for the AC franchise. The Countryside blooms with greenery and rural pastures. The cities are bustling and there are some remarkable sights to behold, especially in the new naval battles. The combat is much improved, with advanced AI, demanding strategic fighting acumen to fend off. Unfortunately despite the brilliance, AC3 has the badAssassins Creed 3 feels like a remarkable step forward for the AC franchise. The Countryside blooms with greenery and rural pastures. The cities are bustling and there are some remarkable sights to behold, especially in the new naval battles. The combat is much improved, with advanced AI, demanding strategic fighting acumen to fend off. Unfortunately despite the brilliance, AC3 has the bad habit of giving you excellent missions, with grandeur aesthetics and a palpable sense of scale, right before giving you tedious missions where one misstep triggers an instant failure. Connor is also an emotionless bore, really anchoring the sense of attachment which made Ezio so lovable and endearing. Assassins Creed 3 is a great sequel in a franchise filled with great games. But this isn't the AC we expected, for every brilliant mission comes a handful of truly rote and unfair ones. Luckily AC3 at its best provide some of the greatest moments in the franchise. Expand
  88. Nov 20, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a great time-step forward for the franchise. It brings new characters, familiar moments of American history, sea combat, family rivalry, and the other typical AC franchise elements under one roof. This makes the game more vast and complex than ever before. Sometimes, the complexity betrays itself. I never felt like I totally understood the crafting system wellAssassin's Creed 3 is a great time-step forward for the franchise. It brings new characters, familiar moments of American history, sea combat, family rivalry, and the other typical AC franchise elements under one roof. This makes the game more vast and complex than ever before. Sometimes, the complexity betrays itself. I never felt like I totally understood the crafting system well enough before taking to the internet to get some more info from other players that had spent more time with it. The graphics are the best of the franchise on consoles and runs noticeably smoother than previous entries. While the awesome addition of assassin brethren from Brotherhood is still around, it felt way more sidelined and unnecessary to invest in. Other than that, you could make the case that this is the best foot forward AC has made since AC2 and was well worth my time. If I could make one gripe: the free-running mechanics are both improved and broken at the same time. Numerous times I would make leaps or climbs that I wasn't intending to make. On top of that, the British Artificial Intelligence were at times buggy and would detect me while Incognito and just walking down the street. These bits occasionally disrupted the game so harshly that it became frustrating and nearly inexcusable. The good news is that these experiences, while rough and disruptive, weren't too common and seemed to be non issues during most of the main story missions. Expand
  89. Nov 28, 2012
    Meh. I had a hard time completing this one. Graphics were good, fighting was pretty good, sorry was ho hum. The glitches... And so early on in the game. One of the first missions I took cover and flew straight up into the air and fell to my death. Amusing, but annoying from a AAA game. I would say rent it but you probably won't finish it. I expected much better I suppose.
  90. Dec 15, 2012
    The idea is great. But in my opinion, a game with bugs cannot be considered a finished game. Also I have to complain to being forced to buy additional content if I'd like to play more missions, which of course, is pointless to me if I've already completed the game's main story.

I was aiming very high on this one, because it's focused on my favourite era, but the results are not worthy of an enterprise like Ubisoft. The thing that impressed me more are the ending credits. I can't figure how so many people worked for this... This game is the pure capitalism's expression.
  91. Dec 19, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed series was in desperate need of a change of setting and protagonist. It got one, but the replacements are lackluster. The impressive architecture of Rome/Constantinople has been replaced with 2 story brick houses and the occasional tall tree. As far as storyline, it's as ham-fisted as ever. You're along for the ride at literally every major Revolutionary event but haveThe Assassin's Creed series was in desperate need of a change of setting and protagonist. It got one, but the replacements are lackluster. The impressive architecture of Rome/Constantinople has been replaced with 2 story brick houses and the occasional tall tree. As far as storyline, it's as ham-fisted as ever. You're along for the ride at literally every major Revolutionary event but have no real reason to be, all the while being preached at by various characters. Connor, being half-Native American, could have been a really interesting character, but after the introductory sequences his heritage is almost never brought up again. Controls are very awkward, and I found myself getting stuck on small objects and corners, and if I was on a horse is was almost faster if I just went on foot. Combat is simplistic enough that you could probably play it on an old NES controller, which might be a good thing considering how freaking many guards there are walking around. Seriously, it's about a 1/1 ratio of civilians to guards in major towns. The only real bright spots I found were the naval battles (I enjoyed them enough that I could almost see an expanded version of them being a standalone game) and the character of Haytham. Wading through the snow during winter was also a nice touch. Expand
  92. Nov 28, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed series has always been one for great story telling, impressive graphics and enjoyable game play. Assassin's Creed 3 is a solid, enjoyable game, but fails to achieve the same levels of satisfaction or quality of prior games in the series. AC3 does still have a brilliant story backed up with interesting historical facts (as long as you can learn to read between theThe Assassin's Creed series has always been one for great story telling, impressive graphics and enjoyable game play. Assassin's Creed 3 is a solid, enjoyable game, but fails to achieve the same levels of satisfaction or quality of prior games in the series. AC3 does still have a brilliant story backed up with interesting historical facts (as long as you can learn to read between the lines of fact and fiction). For the majority of the game you play Connor Kenway, a native American who's father is a British Templar. Throughout the campaign you will earn your Assassin's garb, traverse the colonial US cities of New York and Boston along with a vast wilderness, engage pirates on the high seas and assassinate some very naughty people. I commend Ubisoft for their approach to the story, they could have easily turned it into a British hate fest like the god awful Mel Gibson film "The Patriot" but they didn't. They craft believable characters in a believable world, while the main enemy are the Redcoats and the Templars it's not always this clear cut. There are allies and enemies on both sides. Free running is as exhilarating as ever (despite the odd hiccup that will have you cursing), the combat is satisfying but feels dumbed-down if you are used to previous games in the series. Hunting animals for resources and sailing the Aquila Assassin ship on various sea missions add brilliant new mechanics to the series, raiding forts, ambushing patrols and taking on crowds of bad guys are very enjoyable. There are optional objectives for the story missions, some are fun but others just feel so counter productive often coming close to conflicting with the main objective. A good example of this comes late on in the game where you have to chase "Bad guy A", your objective is to chase him down and question him. The optional objective is "do not shove anyone", this includes your target (you have to tackle him, even though tackling and shoving both have the same end result of him on the floor not running). A lot of the time the game also never tells you of certain optional objectives until you have failed them, so this resulted in me chasing him around for an hour while people got in my way before realising I could tackle him.The stealth in the game does take a hit from the lack of a crouch button, you will auto crouch in long grass but as soon as this ends you stand bolt upright which doesn't help if you are sneaking around areas heavily guarded by enemies, you might as well shout down a megaphone announcing your arrival. I never played the series for its multiplayer but I gave it a brief go here and in AC: Brotherhood, it feels solid and makes a nice change from the usual capture the flag and deathmatch of most online games. AC3 is a good game, but if you have played AC: Brotherhood, you will notice how much was removed and ask yourself "why did it take 3 years to make this game that has less features?". If you haven't played an Assassin's Creed game before, this game will definitely keep you entertained but I recommend you play the previous games in the series so you don't miss out on the overall story and in some cases better gameplay. Expand
  93. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved the WTF! moments in the storyline. These moments remain unsurpassed by any such moments in the original games, apart from maybe the ending to AC1 which everyone kinda saw coming anyway. The Haytham stuff was very well done, and the conclusion to that relationship with Connor seemed both inevitable and tragic.

The graphics are an obvious improvement on the previous games. I know this as I completed AC: Revelations and then went straight on to AC3. Character models are great and there is real depth. However, there have been buggy moments throughout and I have to wonder if the current-gen is being pushed to its absolute limit, or if we have some lazy debugging?

I felt like this was a very linear AC game. That I was being led towards the next mission and that any side-quests (and other stuff) was all there as filler. There seems to be very scant reward for doing many of the side-missions and, often, they would just get in the way. This is odd to me as I have always made an effort to 100% these games in the past here, I just don't care and can't be arsed. Maybe I'm Assassins Creed-ed out? After playing two games consecutively?

Connor is very dull, bless him. I suppose I warmed to him in the end, particularly with the Haytham stuff and the DLC, but when pitched against the mighty Ezio, he is just a sullen boy with confusing morals. I'd have much rather played the whole game with Haytham!

The whole currency system seems completely broken and money is at a real premium. In the crucible of the New World where there were many fortunes to be made, this seems to be at odds with the timeline. There is no chance of making enough money to buy items and upgrades from your usual activities and missions. So now we move to hunting (not much to be had there) and the very broken trading system. Which is not explained well enough. And in the era of paperless manuals "it's on the disc" things need to be explained really well, people! As did the new assassins guild(?) system which also felt very broken when compared to the silky, seamless offering in Ezio's world.

I hate climbing trees. I used to love climbing trees as a lad, but not in this game. In fact, I reckon that I could have scaled some of the trees myself faster than Connor's utterly ridiculous jumping around on the spot, or to his death antics that I have often experienced. User error, you might ask? Possibly. But the trigger system of free running often leads Connor to take short breaks to catch his breath so you feel it necessary to push the jump button and then, a few seconds later, find yourself to be bear chow with 97% percent of your bones shattered on an unforgiving frontier ground.

And bears? WTF? There seems to be one place in the frontier where bears must be respawning cos I killed 6 or 7 of the bastards before I legged it! Did I stumble on Beartown?

Guns are annoying. It takes away the fluidity from combat that we were able to demonstrate with Altair and Ezio and makes everything too busy for me. Also, is it just me, or are half of the British army in one borough of Boston or New York at any one time? No wonder the British lost the war it's because seven batallions were busy chasing some native kid around the streets of Boston! It seems to become quite unfair too quickly. And given that stealth is often a near-impossible option, the game can become quickly frustrating.

Desmond. To paraphrase another scribe, "What the f*ck was that all about?" Given that it was a completely unsatisfactory journey, I suppose that it was inevitable that it would be a completely unsatisfactory ending! I didn't mind the modern-day stuff. I actually found jumping around skyscrapers, Abstergo and UFC PPVs a nice distraction from Connor's dull life. And it was nice to see Desmond being quite bad-ass. But the backstory between the Templars and Assassins now seems likely to be shelved for an altogther more supernatural, sci-fi, whatever paint-by-numbers plot in future ACs. The Templars vs Assassins plot was fine for me I didn't really care where these items came from (e.g. Apple of Eden) just that they were powerful, important, and progressed the storyline.

And Lucy is dead. Well I'll never get back all those hours in AC1 that I spent chatting her up then! And BTW, that spoiler was given out by the production team at last year's Eurogamer when they started their demo with "Yes! Lucy IS dead!" Spoilers, people! The fact that it took place in some crappy Minecraft crossover DLC is a real slap in the face for such a major character in the modern plot. Not good. And the same production team from Ubisoft proudly presented the tree climbing stuff at Eurogamer. I should have seen that coming.

In conclusion, I found AC3 to be frustrating and pleasurable in fairly equal amounts. Too linear in places. Broken side-quests. Fiddly. But good characters. A beautiful world to play in. Ship battles were VERY good fun, which bodes well for AC4. Liked the stories.
  94. Nov 12, 2014
    Amazing game. I don't see how anyone could dispute that statement. I'd never played an AC game before this but can now appreciate it's standing as one of the best modern game series. Technically it's pretty mindblowing what Ubi have been able to achieve on aging console hardware. It's obscenely detailed and captivating on many levels: period atmosphere, freedom of movement, intricate storyAmazing game. I don't see how anyone could dispute that statement. I'd never played an AC game before this but can now appreciate it's standing as one of the best modern game series. Technically it's pretty mindblowing what Ubi have been able to achieve on aging console hardware. It's obscenely detailed and captivating on many levels: period atmosphere, freedom of movement, intricate story and massive gameworld. My personal favorite element were the naval battles ..just stunning. Ubisoft have set the bar crazy high with this. Expand
  95. Oct 16, 2013
    Unlike most people, I actually like this game better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that still doesn't mean that I love this game. As a matter of fact, I have to say that this game is average at best. This game has a lot of the same problems I have had with Assassin's Creed II, but it is still slightly better for other reasons. For one, the graphics have been very much improved.Unlike most people, I actually like this game better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that still doesn't mean that I love this game. As a matter of fact, I have to say that this game is average at best. This game has a lot of the same problems I have had with Assassin's Creed II, but it is still slightly better for other reasons. For one, the graphics have been very much improved. While they are still outdated (not on par with Skyrim or Batman Arkham City, both of which came out a year before this), they are still very good. The gameplay is not too bad either. However, after playing it, I cannot deny its many similarities with Batman Arkham City. That's essentially what the gameplay is as a matter of fact, a toned down version of the combat system in Batman Arkham City. This still makes the gameplay generic like Assassin's Creed II, however, I did love Batman Arkham City's combat system, and I am pretty glad it was used here. The game also has a little more to do in it than Rocksteady's Batman epic, however, most of these tasks are rather boring. Arkham City had Batman solving crimes, while this game has you collecting trinkets for a man you care little about. Naval battles were a nice touch to this game however. It does keep this game from getting too generic like Assassin's Creed II, but considering that they make up less than half of the game's missions, it won't help all that much. The gameplay also still has several glitches, a few of them game-breaking. If Ubisoft really wants this series to be amazing, they need to stop releasing these games with so many bugs in them. The story of this game however, still completely sucks. The present story is still in there, and should be removed from the game entirely. Its plot is confusing as heck, and is still a complete rip-off of the Matrix. As for the story set in the past, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the story is no longer ripping off any comic books (at least, not as much as the last game). The bad news is now it is ripping off another very good movie. This time, it is ripping off Star Wars. The story has you taking control of an Assassin named Luke Skywalker, I mean Connor (who is essentially a Native American version of Batman), who has everything he loves taken from him, his tribe, his mother, everything. He then goes to a wise old mentor named Yoda, I mean Achilles, to teach him the ways of the Jedi, I mean Assassin. He also learns that one of the main villains of this game is his father named Darth Vader, I mean Haytham Kenway. Do you see where I'm saying it is a Star Wars knock-off? The game still has a very unique setting. I do love how it takes place in Colonial times, which is an era not often explored in video games. I also love how it takes place during the American Revolution, however, that does sort of add to how it is a rip-off of Star Wars, as there is another war between the Assassins and Templars happening along with the Americans and British. In Star Wars it was the Rebellion vs. The Empire along with Jedi vs. Sith. Overall, I'd say that this game is an improvement from Assassin's Creed II, but still not a game that I would call great. I'd say that this game is worth a rent at best. However, if you want something better than this, it would probably be for the best that you skip this game entirely, and spend your money on a game like Batman Arkham Asylum or Arkham City. Expand
  96. Dec 10, 2013
    Just terrible. The main character is an idiot; the guards are omniscient to the point that stealth is impossible; controls are poor; the story is AWFUL; and the missions are nothing but frustrating.
  97. Mar 25, 2013
    This is what happens when the second game in your series is incredible. You have nowhere else to go so instead you throw in chair making and lumber delivery. It then takes various parts of Red Dead redmptions hunting aspect and fails at them on every level, integration and execution. these are just two of the few problems plaguing the third entry in the series. No longer do you assassinateThis is what happens when the second game in your series is incredible. You have nowhere else to go so instead you throw in chair making and lumber delivery. It then takes various parts of Red Dead redmptions hunting aspect and fails at them on every level, integration and execution. these are just two of the few problems plaguing the third entry in the series. No longer do you assassinate people. That entire mechanic has been so castrated that the game is no longer about it. Compounding this is a serious case of the Kojima's. Overly long cinematics interspersed with a little bit of gameplay. From an artistic standpoint, the game falters from blandness. In AC1 and 2, every local was distinct, in had its own life. This new game misses that, everything feels the same, artistically bland.
    On the plus side, even though the game fails to use its setting properly, the controls show definite promise for use in these environments.
  98. Nov 27, 2013
    My biggest gripe with this game is the disjointed and fractured storyline. It's like they forgot to do some of the cinematic cut scenes that explain how a particular situation ended up. You have to try to gleam from the conversations between your character and NPCs later what really went down when you finish a mission that is important but the details are left out. Game play itself isMy biggest gripe with this game is the disjointed and fractured storyline. It's like they forgot to do some of the cinematic cut scenes that explain how a particular situation ended up. You have to try to gleam from the conversations between your character and NPCs later what really went down when you finish a mission that is important but the details are left out. Game play itself is just like all other AC in my opinion, naval battles are okay, and the trading aspect is pretty stupid. Overall would of had a better score if the story had been checked by someone without ADHD before production. Expand
  99. Sep 1, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a very well made game with minor issues. The story is engaging and strongly acted. The game's open world is large and split up into New York, Boston, and the Frontier but after finishing the main story there is not a lot of replay value aside from a few side missions and miscellaneous quests. The game play is fluid, but isn't very challenging and has a few cameraAssassin's Creed 3 is a very well made game with minor issues. The story is engaging and strongly acted. The game's open world is large and split up into New York, Boston, and the Frontier but after finishing the main story there is not a lot of replay value aside from a few side missions and miscellaneous quests. The game play is fluid, but isn't very challenging and has a few camera angle bugs here and there. No spoilers, but the climax of the campaign drags on and then ends abruptly, so I have mixed feelings about it. The visuals are excellent and really immerse you into colonial North America. AC3 will please long-time fans for the most part, but may or may not win over newcomers and skeptics Expand
  100. Jan 1, 2013
    I am going to try to some up all the ups and downs of this game. Unfortunately, there is more downs than ups. My quick opinion, do not buy the game for full price, do not spend the money on the DLC
  101. Nov 19, 2012

1. Dec 5, 2012
    At least the petty indignities of the multiplayer are optional and situated around gameplay that's solid and unique, if frustratingly stagnant. In the single-player campaign, however, it's impossible to escape the ham-fisted manipulations of the Assassin's Creed III development team.
    Assassin's Creed III is a pretty damn fine game. It loses none of what makes the series fun with the translation to another time and continent, and creates a whole new set of experiences which define the franchise. The biggest issue, if there is one, are the small technical issues, but these niggling technical issues only seem worse because everything else is such a great experience.
    Like any game of such scope, not every part of it is perfect. Yet, taken as a whole, there is very little that can compete with its wonderful, lavish, historical playground. [Issue#91, p.22]