Assassin's Creed III Xbox 360

6.8

1. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I just finished Assassin's Creed 3... um... really guys? That's how you end it? I mean really?! I mean I didn't think it could get any worse after limping my way to a bar and anticlimactically killing Charles Lee (The main all-powerful bad guy in the game) by simply leaning over casually and stabbing him, but it did... So a global aurora borealis happens and then whaaa?! Nothing?! Just credits and a glimpse of the mountain alien/A.I./whatever as it walks off chiding about it's victory? I know that may seem cryptic, but that's how it fuggin ends folks! Sorry if I'm ruining this for anyone but this game deserves to be ruined. It deserves it because it soiled the hours I put into completing the great 2/3 of the game I did like.

So right before you chase down Charles Lee, through a horribly scripted burning boat scene, I'd advise anyone playing this game right now to eject the game disc, smash it, and then send the remains to "I wonder why were going bankrupt? Oh yeah..." Ubisoft. Because that would be an infinitely better ending than the one they eventually give you.

Oh yeah and **** pivots. C+
  2. Nov 17, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 - which is actually the fifth game in the whole story arc - is said to be Ubisofts biggest game to date. With huge anticipation and expectation from fans, can Ubisoft deliver on the revolution they have promised to the franchise?

Continuing right after Assassin's Creed Revelation left off, Desmond Miles and crew has set camp in an ancient cave where Desmond can relive the life of his ancestors. In the new setting of the colonial America, we follow Connor, a Mohawk Indian who will become the next assassin. Compared to all the protagonists, Connor is the weakest of them all. He is short spoken, never in a positive mood and is just overall an un compelling main character, but without spoiling anything, Connor is not the only character you will play as.

To be able to walk around 1700's Amerika is impressive and also as beautiful are all the forest. Its just a shame that the game has to load so often and these frequent loading screens will break the immersion. Gameplay wise, Assassins Creed 3 is much of the same. You can still climb the rooftops of Boston and New York, but its not as fun as in the previous games. The colonial America dosn't have as high and fabulous architecture as the Italian renaissance had. But to make up for it, you can for the first time in the franchise to climb on trees. Sadly, it dosent have the same flow as climbing buildings which can make it annoying.

The multyplayer is back and its good as ever. To be able to find and sneak up on your target before another player kills you have never been so heart pumping and fun. With perks to unlock and new gamemodes like Wolfpack - Assassin's Creed version of horde mode - will make you come back many times.

Probably the best addition to this game are the naval battles. To controll your ship, navigating the winds to catch up on your foes and then take them down with your cannons might be the best moments in this game. But with everything new, the game has lost focus of one of the most important aspects. The assassination. It has become less about finding an killing your target before getting seen. There is still some of that in here but not as much as it should.

Beating Assassins Creed 3 can take you 20 hours or so and more if you spend time completing side quests and playing the multyplayer. Even if the setting is nice, sailing your ship through dangerous waters and playing the multyplayer, there are many aspects to discourage players. It takes to long for the game to really begin, it can feel repetitive, the loading occurs to often, the economy system is broken and Connor is sont fun to hang out with. But despite the flaws, Assassins Creed 3 is still a good game. Its not the masterpiece we had hoped for but it is still fun to play. But dont feel surprised if you feel to play the older instalments instead.
  3. Feb 26, 2013
    One of the most frustrating games I've played. When it works it is brilliant and exhilarating; far too often, though, it feels simply like work. A chore. This is largely due to the fact that most side missions serve no purpose other than time filler (sea missions being the exception and the true high point of the game), and to the variable glitchy, twitchy controls--seems that at keyOne of the most frustrating games I've played. When it works it is brilliant and exhilarating; far too often, though, it feels simply like work. A chore. This is largely due to the fact that most side missions serve no purpose other than time filler (sea missions being the exception and the true high point of the game), and to the variable glitchy, twitchy controls--seems that at key moments the designers decided to slightly alter the control command for no apparent reason, and you end up failing full synchronization. Or in a final boss battle when suddenly you have to learn an entirely new control command scheme to succeed. At any rate, when i finished this game it was with no sense of joy or accomplishment-- just a grim determination to finish something I started. In other words, work. Expand
  4. Jun 7, 2013
    I scored this game a 5. And I think I am being a little generous in doing so.

The reason I believe that is because this game seemed to have looked at the prior AC games and everything they did (all the improvements made and all the feedback given) and then promptly ignored it all. The game starts you off as probably the most interesting and fun AC character ever, Haytham Kenway, and
    I scored this game a 5. And I think I am being a little generous in doing so.

The game starts you off as probably the most interesting and fun AC character ever, Haytham Kenway, and then at the end of that section of the game hits you with the two by four in the face revelation that shock! Haytham was a templar all along! *facepalm*
    The delivery and telegraphing of that particular fact was seen a mile off, and when it finally game out it was done in such a hamfisted way that I physically rolled my eyes.

You are then shifted onto the Connor sections of the game. And from there the whole thing just rolls downhill until its inevitable car crash at the end.
    Connor's youth VA is stilted, and incredibly fake sounding; and the impetus for his revenge was delivered in as pointless and hamfisted a manner as the Haytham-is-a-templar "revelation" it was eye rollingly bad. And he gets no better as an adult. His adult VA isn't as poor but honestly that is no saving grace as the adult "Connor" is the single dullest most annoying character I have ever seen (and I have sufferred through Adoring Fan in Oblivion).

When Connor isn't being dull, he is being a pointless douchenozzle. And his miraculous involvement in every single major historical event surrounding the independence war period defies belief. It gets to the point of immersion shatteringly bad.
    And then Connor's arc ends, not with having to fight your father Haytham (who was the Grand Master of the Americas Templar Order) but fight "General Lee" his second in command... Which doesn't make sense considering the impetus for the game is to stop his father and the Templars.

The game does do a better job of communicating the type of person that Desmond is. It shows him as rather brave and heroic and he comes off as pretty likeable. And the Desmond sections of the game don't feel as irritating or annoying in this game as they did in prior games; but I am unsure if that is a function of Connor being so dull that even Desmond looks better in comparison I don't know...
    And then we have that pointless car crash of an ending. I mean honestly what was it with 2012 games ending with 3 all having horribly stupid endings? Dear god.

Moving onto gameplay. None of the improvements that Brotherhood and Revelations made to the gameplay seem to have made it into this game. In fact it seems to have gottten worst because the devs seem to be trying to portray Connor along the lines of the Wizard archetype (with all his techie stuff) and over complicated the whole thing and implemented it all incredibly poorly.
    There is literally no point to going onto roofs at all in this game. And combat is a frustrating and irritating slog. The guards seem to be psychic; and the controls seem to be back to being twitchy and overly sensitive as they were in AC1.

The only part of this game I loved (and it seems to be universally loved) is the naval sections of this game. I bet I am not the only person in the world who said "I want a pirate game with these naval mechanics!"
    Evidentally I wasn't because we now have AC4: The Black Flag due out (less than 18 months after AC3 is not a good sign though) which centres the entire game around that mechanic.

This game... Buy it because you want the complete collection. But honestly it isn't worth suffering through.
  5. Dec 12, 2012
    Well, we waited a while, and here it is. First, the good. Within the limits of the architecture of colonial America, the game is gorgeous. Not as impressive as Europe or Turkey, with their monuments, but its still very good looking. Free running is easier and far less of a chore except that you can't pass within six feet of a barrel without the game deciding that you wanted to jump on topWell, we waited a while, and here it is. First, the good. Within the limits of the architecture of colonial America, the game is gorgeous. Not as impressive as Europe or Turkey, with their monuments, but its still very good looking. Free running is easier and far less of a chore except that you can't pass within six feet of a barrel without the game deciding that you wanted to jump on top of it. But that doesn't matter much because the rooftops are so overpopulated with guards that you'll be spending most of your time on the ground anyway. Free running though the trees of the frontier is a pleasure, however. Ubisoft introduced a new naval mechanic, which deserves its own game. Finally, the world is huge and chock full of enemies to kill. All that is why I am a bit bemused at the games shortcomings. First of all, it is glitchy. Ok, it isn't a Fallout New Vegas level of disaster here,but I still wasn't able to liberate New York North more than 90% despite having done all the liberation missions. Ubisoft didn't put any view points there in an attempt to force exploration. I hope that they never do that again. I spent an entire afternoon mapping that pain in the rear part of town, looking for what I had missed. I found nothing. Then I gave up and went off to do some naval missions. When I came back, darned if North New York wasn't showing as being liberated. It seems that the game needs to reset before it will register the liberation of that area. Horse riding is a disaster. The occasional horse getting stuck in a watering trough I don't really mind, but I do mind trying to navigate on a horse that can jump fences but that stops dead at every tiny rock. The game also has the irksome quality of trying to hold my hand during missions. In previous games of the series I came to enjoy planning my kills and experimenting with different approaches, but ACIII mutinies whenever I do something it doesn't expect. Like my second grade teacher, ACIII can never resist telling me what to do and punishing me if I do anything else. Do anything that the designers didn't intend you to do and your game is likely to end. Full synchronization has become a way for the game to punish the player for not doing exactly what the designers think he should. It becomes a terrible bore very quickly. The combat system, which Ubisoft had nearly perfected in previous installments was badly dumbed down. I found the "time stopping" after a parry to be tiresome in the extreme. What, Ubisoft? it wasn't easy enough to begin with? The true strength of the AC franchise is its narrative and characters, which is one of the biggest reasons that I find myself a touch disappointed with AC III. The plot is, in a word, absurd. The overarching themes of liberty versus order and familial attachments versus perceived duty are satisfying enough, but the narrative strings together some pretty ridiculous plot elements. For example, I can't think of a single instance in which a Mohawk half breed with no experience with the military conventions of the day ever commanded a Continental Army in the field with no more than a few cursory instructions, which Connor does at the Battle of Concord. Nor can I imagine such a person, possessing zero nautical training, ever succeeding to the command of his own warship. Which warship, by the way, he keeps tied up behind his house as if it were a ski boat. These roles required years or decades of experience, which could not be acquired in a frontier basement. A guy like Connor might eventually make a decent platoon leader, but casting him in the simultaneous roles of brigadier general and ship captain is just too over the top to be believable. I appreciate that Ubisoft seems to have an agenda of inclusion, but if they are going to do that, then it has to work. The Connor persona doesn't work. The rather jarring notion of a person like Connor ever encountering the Assassins, much less becoming one, is something that could have used more exposition because, as he is, the Connor character requires too much suspension of disbelief. Too, Connor's naivete is as breathtaking as it is inappropriate for an assassin. He has no particular stake in the Assassins' mission.. He is all about his own parochial motives. In short, he just doesn't have the feel of an assassin. Ezio's story was immersive and compelling. Connor's story is a cartoon, and the problem stems from the fact that Ubisoft seems to have no vision of the assassins' order in the first place. We thought they did, but ACIII reveals the existence of an identity crisis regarding this franchise. The American Revolution might have lent itself to an AC story, but ACIII is not such a story. All that said, while this game is not exactly a jewel in Ubisoft's crown, ACIII is fun to play and worth the purchase, but ACII still remains the best of the series. Expand
  6. Dec 6, 2012
    K LikE g00d game but like why is their old guns??!?!?!?!?!?! I want my m14's!!!!! Like evry Game these days ha m14's and rpgs but this gam DOESNT! Lol imma o back to cod
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    They succeeded in making the same game again. It's prettier now but it's essentially the same as the previous two with an even more boring combat system (the old one was already a zero threat snooze fest). Lots of glitches and bugs in this one as well. I've always found these AC games somewhat boring and easy but this one was much worse in respect to combat. I'm surprised there are so manyThey succeeded in making the same game again. It's prettier now but it's essentially the same as the previous two with an even more boring combat system (the old one was already a zero threat snooze fest). Lots of glitches and bugs in this one as well. I've always found these AC games somewhat boring and easy but this one was much worse in respect to combat. I'm surprised there are so many positive reviews it makes me wonder how many employees have metacritic accounts. Expand
  8. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ...Continues from previous comment:

What I didn't like:
    - The LAG: It is the first thing you notice when you start playing the game, do not lie to yourselves guys, this games lags, and it does it horribly. How can this happen in 2012? When you get to Boston or New york the game is almost unplayable, all immersive feeling towards the game you might have achieved absolutely breaks up when you see that painfull, unforgivable lag.
    -The glitches:Unforgivable Ubisoft... glitches in this game are a bad joke.
    - The fight system: somethings are better, the blood is great, but i HATE the camera; character seems so far away when you're fighting and you wish you cold just look closer. Besides, you get a feeling of "Arkham city" with this new fighting system, one button magically blocks the attack, and then you can counter. If that was the intention, let me tell you that Assassin's Creed never needed to copy or imitate another game's fighting system... well, that's how I felt when playing it.
    - Too much running: The missions were like: Frontier to Boston, Boston to frontier, frontier to New york, New york to frontier, Frontier to homestead, homestead to frontier, frontier to boston, and so ON, it was like they were forcing you to go through the world over and over for you to see how wonderful it was, or using fast travel everytime, but there's no fun in that either...
    - Besides the incredibly BIG setting, you feel limited at times. I wish I could haev thrown the tomahawk, wish you could choose between leaving the hood on or off with a button, felt limited when switching weapons cause it took too much time for example to pick the horse to be able to whistle and call it. Thought the round weapon invetory system of previous games was easier to use.
    - Too many cutscenes (spoiler): If you have beaten the game, you know that you don't kill the bad guy, you watch Connor kill the bad guy in a cutscene... what's up with that?? - Atmosphere: You never feel quite as "inside the game's world" as with previous assassin's creed games where setting and music and graphics combined perfectly while pulling you into the middle of this incredible world.
    - Short story: From Brotherhood on i have always felt these games are way too short. Being able to explore and hunt for hours or have a lot of fun in multiplayer shouldn't compensate for a short story.
    - Desmond: since revelations he is getting uglier. Looks like a completely different person.
    -Horses: It has always bugged me that you can't go faster when horsebackriding inside a city or town, it is ridiculous. Same with not being able to run inside some taverns, it is way too frustrating to have to walk slow because the game wants you to.

What i liked about AC3:

-New running system: Feels more real to run with connor, and it is great to jump between trees.
    -The frontier/Homestead: running through the open field is a charm, you fell free, in contact with nature, away from the noise of the cities and the guards chasing you. It's where I usually hang out when i've had a stressful day.
    -Naval Warfare: In one word: AWESOME.
    -Animals, children: Everything feels much more alive and real when you put animals and children in it. Previously we got to see only adults and horses...
    - Seasons: the depth of snow is great among other cool things about having seasons. And also the rain and thunder is a really good addition to the series.
    - Character development: I agree game starts painfully slow, but it is cool to see how Connor grows up and becomes an Assassin. Although you feel like it is a proggressive development, in the end you feel like you become an Assassin way too fast when you're told "Ok, you can wear the suit now".
    -Peaking through corners: great! only thing left is being able to crouch and move more stealthy.
    -Everything about the landscapes, cities, forests, trees, grass, houses, fences, sky, water... too bad it lags like hell.
    -Locking system: well it's not a great improvement but i like to run sometimes with the close camera, gives it another 3rd person perspective.
    -Blending: great job with this, it's so much simpler to blend almost anywhere.

There might be other things I'm forgetting right now, but as for now I hope the patch Ubisoft is offering fixes all that it says it will, and I also hope it helps a little with the excessive lag, which is what bothers me the most about this game.

Thank you for reading, waiting for AC4 now.
  9. Nov 24, 2012
    I actually created an account just so I could post a review for this game. I can't even say how frustrated and disappointed I am with it. I loved the original Assassin's Creed, and Assassin'c Creed 2 and Brotherhood were masterpieces. Things started to go off the rails for me with Revelations, the game felt rushed and the character models (particularly for Desmond) were just plainI actually created an account just so I could post a review for this game. I can't even say how frustrated and disappointed I am with it. I loved the original Assassin's Creed, and Assassin'c Creed 2 and Brotherhood were masterpieces. Things started to go off the rails for me with Revelations, the game felt rushed and the character models (particularly for Desmond) were just plain weird. So when they announced this game I was a bit nervous since Revelations had seemed like such a rush job. Well, my fears were well founded. This game is a DISASTER. Ubisoft should be sued for releasing such a terrible, unfinished game and should seriously be ashamed to release something this broken and frustrating to play. Connor's story is disjointed and dull and Desmond's story, well, other people have commented what a letdown it was. But mostly it's just more frustrating than fun to play. Too many glitches, too much running around on a horse pressing the B button to get something done and hope you don't get shot. Even combat is grueling. I find myself restarting a checkpoint when I get into combat with a large number of redcoats because it's impossible to win. This game isn't so much a step back was it is a tumble down the cliff. I'll never buy another Assassin's Creed game again. Expand
  10. Dec 27, 2012
    BORING AND BROKED GAME! 9 or 9.5 for this game is a f#cking joke. Lame characters and lame story that involves the 2012 mayan apocalypse. Yes, it really looks like they wrote the storyline on a restaurant's napkin while taking elements of a popular myth because they couldn't think of creating something new or innovating. The combat system is laughably bad! I can't fight against the britishBORING AND BROKED GAME! 9 or 9.5 for this game is a f#cking joke. Lame characters and lame story that involves the 2012 mayan apocalypse. Yes, it really looks like they wrote the storyline on a restaurant's napkin while taking elements of a popular myth because they couldn't think of creating something new or innovating. The combat system is laughably bad! I can't fight against the british soldiers with a straight face while witnessing the HORRIBLE combat animation and brainless hordes of enemies. The main character (Connor) is more boring than Sheppard! He's so charismatic as a f#cking plant! The lame and tedious story doesn't help either. The only good thing about this game is the Open World , navy battles and the cool ambiance of the colonial USA period, THAT'S IT. Everything else is garbage or boring. Ordinary side missions and the extreme linearity in the main missions are f#cking frustrating! Tons of bugs broke the immersion and irrational AI creates weird situations. Don't buy this game! Expand
  11. Dec 2, 2012
    What a complete waste of time. I actually could't play this game for more than two hours at a time, fearing my heart would give in from my frustration:-) Every aspect of this game i worse than even AC1. Let aside the battles at sea whitch was new and great. The buttons, the story, gameplay, grafics, caracters, conversations, cutcenes, I could go on and on, they all suck! Do not buy thisWhat a complete waste of time. I actually could't play this game for more than two hours at a time, fearing my heart would give in from my frustration:-) Every aspect of this game i worse than even AC1. Let aside the battles at sea whitch was new and great. The buttons, the story, gameplay, grafics, caracters, conversations, cutcenes, I could go on and on, they all suck! Do not buy this game, and spare yourselves from a lot of pain. Alex Hutchinson name is now burned in to my brain, and i will forever shun from anything he puts his name on Expand
  12. Dec 29, 2012
    The cut scenes. They are never ending. And if you try to skip, you walk around in a white light for as long as the cut scene would be. The things you would think DOESN'T causes suspicion does, and vice-verca. It seems like a bad attempt at arkham city
  13. Apr 2, 2013
    Best game of the franchise! Ranks straight As in these categories:: Story A+, voice acting A+, gameplay A+, graphics A, Control A+++. Builds on what the Thief, Metal Gear franchises started (stealth genre) and makes it accessible to the masses, with a bang up story to boot. Give it a try. 'Nough said
  14. Jun 18, 2013
    While the game manages to approve from it's predecessor in many cases it also suffers from several framerate issues along with some minor steps backwards including a false protagonist that is rather frustrating to play as for the first two hours of the game and an ending that will disappoint fans immensely. Regardless of these issues Assassin's Creed III goes on to provide players with aWhile the game manages to approve from it's predecessor in many cases it also suffers from several framerate issues along with some minor steps backwards including a false protagonist that is rather frustrating to play as for the first two hours of the game and an ending that will disappoint fans immensely. Regardless of these issues Assassin's Creed III goes on to provide players with a fantastic look on the secret hero of the american revolution and many hours of collectibles for good replay value.

15. Ed_
    Oct 30, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III is the second best game in the series after AC2.

The game runs without any problem, graphics and controls are amazing and precise. After Revelation the story was a freshness for me: enjoyable, eventful and enthralling. For me, the age in which the game is set, American Revolution, was enough to love the game. Playing on the side of the patriots against the
    Assassin's Creed III is the second best game in the series after AC2.

For me, the age in which the game is set, American Revolution, was enough to love the game. Playing on the side of the patriots against the British oppressors who are happened to be templars is fantastic. The customization of Connor and his ship is far the best part of the game only after the story, plus the possibility to build up and upgrade your small town was another great idea which is again unmissable.
    Regarding the story, playing Haytham and Connor made possibly the best mixture to feel empathy to both characters and their understanding of the World and politics. Despite their disagreement on things they can work together but only with some misunderstandings. Haytham is more cool and opportunist character who often argues his son's seriousness and inability to adapt to different kind of situations.
    Finally the British and American accents in the game give extra pleasure to the gameplay.

All in all, the game deserves 10 points which means I can bravely recommend this high quality game to anybody!
  16. Oct 30, 2012
    Game of the Year contender! Frontier hunting + Ship battles = Awesome! The game also has a very good replay value. Graphics are nice. I don't see any competition here. Dishonored = too short. Halo 4 = more of the same. Black Ops 2 = more of the same.
  17. Oct 30, 2012
    Not what I was expecting from what I thought could potentially be the 2012 Game of the Year. From all the pre-release footage I saw, it looked like the series had gone through some heavy refinements, namely in the combat. However, it's really not that much of a difference. It's certainly more streamlined and brutal, but it's still pretty much centered around parrying attacks and going on aNot what I was expecting from what I thought could potentially be the 2012 Game of the Year. From all the pre-release footage I saw, it looked like the series had gone through some heavy refinements, namely in the combat. However, it's really not that much of a difference. It's certainly more streamlined and brutal, but it's still pretty much centered around parrying attacks and going on a killing chain. That's disappointing. I expected it to be more like Batman: Arkham City where the combat has a good mix of attacking and countering, but it wound up being too much on the countering side again. I sure hope this is fixed in the future. As far as the story goes, Connor's is expertly-crafted, but Desmond's... well, let's just say Ubisoft Montreal has managed to pull off a Mass Effect 3 ending, possibly even worse. I'm utterly shocked that the ending to Desmond Miles' legacy this game portrayed was even considered by the writers. It legitimately pissed me off. Not enough to ruin the game, but definitely enough to put an utterly bitter taste in my mouth. The audio and visuals are top-notch, so I can't complain there. All in all, this *is* a good game -- it's even a great game -- but it's fallen into the same traps that all the other past titles have, even if not quite as much. Problem is, it fell into some new traps, creating a very inconsistent experience. It should have been the greatest Assassin's Creed title yet. It's one of the weakest. A game worth buying, but not with a $60 price tag. Expand
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    FIRST POINT - THE GAME IS VERY VERY VERY GOOD
    SECOND POINT - THE GAME ISN'T THE ALL SINGING, ALL DANCING MASTERPIECE IT SHOULD BE.
    FIRST POINT - THE GAME IS VERY VERY VERY GOOD
    Assassins creed 3 is definitely, the best game in the series. The maps are huge, the graphics are incredible, the story is epic, the homestead is immersing, the characters are intriguing, naval battles are a blast and everything has been improved. However there are issues. Several bugs are noticeable, and yes frustrating, however UBISOFT have been quick to respond and most have already been fixed. Really it's a minor issue. The game itself is a joy to play. The story is fleshed out and interesting enough to keep you wanting more and the conclusion is satisfactory. Desmond's story is finally given some time in the spotlight, and this time is enjoyable, however could be expanded upon. Some aspects of the game do feel underdeveloped like horse riding and assassin recruitment, but on the whole most aspects have been well developed. There is so much to do in assassins creed 3 that its impossible to mention it all off the top of my head, and this is one of the reasons YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT. PEOPLE WHO ARE RATING THE GAME BELOW 8 ARE OUT OF THERE MINDS. The game is a real treat. If there hadn't been so much hype about it people would be giving it a lot more praise.
  19. Nov 7, 2012
    This game gave me a very conflicted reaction -- I very much wanted to like this game, but I think its main issue lies in the setting. Whilst an Assassins Creed game set in the American Revolutionary War -- filled with tree climbing, tomahawks, horse riding and killing redcoats -- may have sounded like a good idea (and could have been transferred into a working game well, too)This game gave me a very conflicted reaction -- I very much wanted to like this game, but I think its main issue lies in the setting. Whilst an Assassins Creed game set in the American Revolutionary War -- filled with tree climbing, tomahawks, horse riding and killing redcoats -- may have sounded like a good idea (and could have been transferred into a working game well, too) unfortunately this is not really the case. Both Boston and New York's buildings are all only 1 or 2 stories high (not including a few church house spires). A lot of the buildings are set far apart as well. All of this makes the free-running and parkour -- an initial selling point of the series -- feel kind of disjointed and lacking. I think they tried to compensate for this with tree climbing, but this too feels a little disjointed and the only places to practice this are out in the wilderness on rabbits and foxes -- not very mind-blowing. Another little superficial flaw for me was the style of the buildings -- America at this time was a new country, so all of the buildings are small stunted brick and wood houses. This is kind of a step backward from the sprawling marble and white stone vistas I am used to from the games before. This is not to say I do not like this setting (I adored Red Dead Redemption) but it does not really fit the series and it's pre-existing themes very well. The ship combat also felt not needed and very underwhelming. I did enjoy many things about this game however -- as always, the history was rich and charming and some of the scenery did take my breath away. Seasons were a neat change and hunting was a fun little feature. Connor lived up to his hype and was a great guy. The story was vast and fantastic and the ending was immense. However, gameplay should come above all these things, and the parkour and combat both felt disjointed and unfitting. Assassins Creed 3 is a decent game. Pick it up if you have the time. Expand
  20. Nov 4, 2012
    AC3 is the best experience i have ever played.

Tree climbing pushes the limits and really feels next gen, The Combat has improved tremendously and is now more challenging. The side missions have a lot of effort put in to them. The story of Connor is the most compelling i have played and he is now my favourite assassin. The story of his village and community and how he becomes an
    AC3 is the best experience i have ever played.

The side missions have a lot of effort put in to them.

The story of his village and community and how he becomes an assassin is the best yet.
  21. Oct 31, 2012
    its amazing how much ubisoft accomplish in this game with the gameplay and setting that just feel magic. in this **** year for gaming i realy look forward to holiday season with this game.
    the story is great and it introduces connor in realistic scenarios without ruinig them and make you feel like part of history (American history). graphics also shine especially in terms of animations and the nature, but the same doesnt aplpy for cities because they´re small and empty in my opinion. i think this is the best assassin´s creed game since the second one
  22. Nov 4, 2012
    This game is amazing from the start I could see that this was Ubisofts most innovative and daring Assassins Creed game yet, and it paid off.
    There were many things in this game that should be commended such as the great new combat system and the new open frontier area that opens up so many possibilities and introduced along with it the "fun" ability to climb trees.
    Amazing story, great
    Amazing story, great gameplay and awesome characters all together make the best Assassins' Creed game to date. 10/10
  23. Nov 2, 2012
    I rushed to review this and I was unfair to it, I criticised it for its very slow beginnings but one this gets going I'm really enjoying it. It's true that some of the missions are unforgiving and it can be frustrating but once youre hanging people from the trees it becomes something else.

Some will be turned off by the sheer scale of AC3 and yes there are bugs occasionally but all in all I'm enjoying this. Brotherhood was the high and Revelations was a disappointment this is doing new things and while it's not perfect and will have its critics I'm glad I bought it.
  24. Nov 1, 2012
    It is the best AC game I have played so far. I hope they make another game like this. The main points that they have introduced into the game is the hunting mechanic, which includes snares, bait. they introduced bows, tomahawks, pistols, rope darts and the hidden blades can pop out and be used as knives.
  25. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed 2 was the series highlight that is no longer true with the release of Assassins Creed 3. The series returns with a new setting, a new character and revamped movement and combat system. This game is set in the time of the American revolution. Your character is the half British and half Native American assassin named Connor. In the beginning you play as Connor's father butAssassins Creed 2 was the series highlight that is no longer true with the release of Assassins Creed 3. The series returns with a new setting, a new character and revamped movement and combat system. This game is set in the time of the American revolution. Your character is the half British and half Native American assassin named Connor. In the beginning you play as Connor's father but I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible. Talking about the start the first 3 hours you play as Connor are very narrow and closed. You are funneled down a narrowed path and not given any freedom. But when you are put into the huge open world you really notice the attention to detail and the amount of things you have to do. You can hunt, you can assist strangers, you can just free run through the trees. The revamped combat and movement systems help this experience. The combat has turned into more like an Arkham city experience with a heavy counter focus. This means your using maybe 3 buttons max at any one time. The movement system is even simpler, you hold 1 button to jump, run and vault. It allows you to move more fluidly and you just feel more comfortable holding 1 button. The animation and graphics also must be congratulated. The eyes especially they are just amazing and stare a at you and follow you. In conclusion the Assassins Creed series returns triumphantly with it's best entry so far 10/10 Expand
  26. Nov 5, 2012
    This game is definitely living up to the hype it gathered pre-release. The redesigned combat mechanics mean you actually have to think out your fights instead of just mashing the attack button, which makes fights feel more rewarding when you win. The movement is brilliant and a lot more fluid compared to older iterations of the game, and the characters and plot are a nice refreshment afterThis game is definitely living up to the hype it gathered pre-release. The redesigned combat mechanics mean you actually have to think out your fights instead of just mashing the attack button, which makes fights feel more rewarding when you win. The movement is brilliant and a lot more fluid compared to older iterations of the game, and the characters and plot are a nice refreshment after having so much Ezio (not that I didn't like the Ezio games mind you). The new AnvilNext engine is it has to be said simply stunning. The environments and details are beautiful and the size of them is mind boggling. Expand
  27. Nov 7, 2012
    Assassins Creed 3 is a Absolute masterpiece of a game.I've played all the Previous Titles and loved them all dearly enough to keep them in my game collection.But Assassins Creed 3 is by far the best game in the series.the graphics are top notch and the combat is fluid and smooth*almost as if you are the person in the game*movement is better then ever with super realism in every way.theAssassins Creed 3 is a Absolute masterpiece of a game.I've played all the Previous Titles and loved them all dearly enough to keep them in my game collection.But Assassins Creed 3 is by far the best game in the series.the graphics are top notch and the combat is fluid and smooth*almost as if you are the person in the game*movement is better then ever with super realism in every way.the story is very well written and told.the entire game is just FANTASTIC.and the multi player has gotten a good amount of improvements, and is still my fave action multiplayer ever created in my opinion.a must buy for any fan of the series. Expand
  28. Nov 8, 2012
    This is the worst Assassin's Creed in the series (I think is even worse than Revelations...). The story of this game is absolute boring, specially the past part wich is the 80% of the game, but the Desmond story was even worse... Specially the ending which is specially bad, not to mention all the bugs that game haves, it feels like an unfinished game. If you want a real AC experience justThis is the worst Assassin's Creed in the series (I think is even worse than Revelations...). The story of this game is absolute boring, specially the past part wich is the 80% of the game, but the Desmond story was even worse... Specially the ending which is specially bad, not to mention all the bugs that game haves, it feels like an unfinished game. If you want a real AC experience just play AC2 and AC:B instead of this game... About the online part, at fist looks good, but it doesn't have many variety on places to play, and most of them looks the same. Also all the customization parts for characters are overpriced, I already have played like 70 times online, I'm in level 31 and I still doesn't have enough credits to allow me to buy character stuff, only skills.. obviously they want us to spend real money on it, also the rewards (videos) for leveling up on the online game are not good as the ones in AC:R.

So, I'm afraid this is not an AAA title anymore. Not buying another AC on the release.
  29. Nov 14, 2012
    i am so confused...i am playing ACIII!!!!???i am a member of "ASSASSIN`S CREED" or playing as a regular "low-life" killer???!!???
    gameplay is good as same,with improved control and PATH-FINDING,lots of bugs but still well-design world,story is great with deep holes;i think tree-walking is not as good as building-walking in past ACs.
    still i like "ALTAIR" more that any other protagonists
    still i like "ALTAIR" more that any other protagonists in AC.
    CONNOR is believable and grows less sympathy than "altair and ezio".hunting is cool but earning money will kick you... in middle of playing.naval fights are awesome,command and shoot,handle and fire(i like it so much).
    main missions are superb but sub-missions are weak and un-lovely.enemy AI is dumper in my idea compare to past games.
    still experience cheap deaths with anger!!!!!!!!
    "ASSASSIN`S CREED III" is still so good to me but there are so many changes in it,it is so different from AC1,it seems to me new game but i am playing it as "ASSASSIN`S CREED".
    pffff...i do not know i like this game or not?.......i like this game but i love AC1....desmond is the only BRIDGE with past for me here.
  30. Nov 1, 2012
    Love this game after the first 3 hours!!! It starts slow but after you become a fully grown Conner the game is a masterpiece. There are gliches but a game is huge so its to be expected. To me its a 9 because of all the content and hours put in this game. The graphics are amazing and music gose very well with the setting. Some of the gliches hold it from being a 10. The beginning 3 hoursLove this game after the first 3 hours!!! It starts slow but after you become a fully grown Conner the game is a masterpiece. There are gliches but a game is huge so its to be expected. To me its a 9 because of all the content and hours put in this game. The graphics are amazing and music gose very well with the setting. Some of the gliches hold it from being a 10. The beginning 3 hours holds your hand this is for people that are new and really drags on, but after that its great. Good Job Ubisoft!!! Expand
  31. Nov 7, 2012
    This is a good game but still fails to live up to AC2. This IS probably the 2nd best AC game though. There is a pretty good story with Desmond as it is all culminating but as an American Connor's story is something I know like the back of my hand and personally I find Connor to be a whining, arrogant douche. There are a few glitches here and there but overall the gameplay is solid. HoweverThis is a good game but still fails to live up to AC2. This IS probably the 2nd best AC game though. There is a pretty good story with Desmond as it is all culminating but as an American Connor's story is something I know like the back of my hand and personally I find Connor to be a whining, arrogant douche. There are a few glitches here and there but overall the gameplay is solid. However the combat feels a little dumbed down as does free running . The hunting is great and a fun way to get money. I'm happy they brought back the homestead/Monterrigioni from AC2. Overall I would give this game a 9 Collapse

1. Dec 5, 2012
    At least the petty indignities of the multiplayer are optional and situated around gameplay that's solid and unique, if frustratingly stagnant. In the single-player campaign, however, it's impossible to escape the ham-fisted manipulations of the Assassin's Creed III development team.
    Assassin's Creed III is a pretty damn fine game. It loses none of what makes the series fun with the translation to another time and continent, and creates a whole new set of experiences which define the franchise. The biggest issue, if there is one, are the small technical issues, but these niggling technical issues only seem worse because everything else is such a great experience.
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Dec 1, 2012
    Like any game of such scope, not every part of it is perfect. Yet, taken as a whole, there is very little that can compete with its wonderful, lavish, historical playground. [Issue#91, p.22]