Assassin's Creed Liberation HD Xbox 360

5.7

1. Jan 16, 2014
    AC Liberation is a port of the Vita and it shows the game also.
    The graphics are poor as that of part 4 and the story is very lame.
    What is good pleases me personally the female assassin that offers a variety.

In conclusion it can be said that AC Liberation was better eye picked up the Vita. On the big consoles the game looks ugly and has less fun.
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    Pros: Concise missions with only 1 optional objective, no RTS crap, still better than AC3
    Cons: Way too many collectibles that server no purpose, QTEs that aren't fun, animals lack any real challenge, last couple of missions are crappy designs, avatars cut in an out of existence, cutscenes repeat in some cases, no clear understanding of what some mission objectives are, Connor is back, crashed a couple of times, camera angles bounce everywhere
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    Straight out the gate, you realise that this game will be inferior to the excellent AC4. I imagine Liberation's was a passable accompaniment to AC3 but you really appreciate how much they improved on what I consider the two weakest installments I've played in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

There are positives to Liberation though. The HD upgrade is noticable and the graphics are quite good. At its core, this IS an Assassin's Creed game which means it is fairly well polished with a lot of content (side missions, unlockables, etcs). The costume system was quite unique and is something I think could be well integrated in to future AC games too. I managed to play the game from start to finish with 100% synchronisation and all achievements completed too which is a testament to playability at the least.

However, the flaws are many and often quite frustrating. You can immediately tell this was a game optimised for a handheld console and I often found myself making excuses for the game by thinking "on a handheld, this would be quite impressive" but it also made me think it was an uneccessary port and I'm not certain who will be pleased by this game when you can buy a copy of the much superior console optimised AC games for cheaper I imagine.

The city is reasonably sized as is the Bayou but it gets quite boring when you consider the level of detail and exploration in other titles. It also seems quite sparcely populated due to what I imagine were handheld constraints but this has not been adapted for a more powerful console and makes the game seem uncomfortably sparce at times.

The enemy AI ranges from god-like to complete idiocy at times. I often found myself being spotted by overly sensitive guards, having to repeat some basic missions multiple times to have a modicum of success. Meanwhile in other instances, you can obliterate a group of enemies without so much as a blink.

The viewpoints once again utilise the irritating AC3 mode of revelation which only partially reveals the land. Very frustrating in the Bayou which is incredibly complex to navigate at times. I found myself swimming far too much.

The plot is paperthin. I had no idea what was really going on and in all honesty, wasn't too bothered by it. Aveline is the weakest lead in the series so far and I found it hard to become attached to her. The plot jumps around, explaining large chunks of character/history through text which is again, a problem from its handheld origins. I found myself reach the end of the game and thought that the conclusion was so unsubstantial that nothing has changed. The character development is poor. The villains lack any character, appearing in one sequence and essentially dying for the sake of plot progression and providing nothing else.

The list of grumbles go on but I'd summarise it by saying that Assassin's Creed Liberation HD is like a death by a thousand paper cuts. The core of the gameplay is solid and I can't find any major gamebreaking flaws or anything like that but ultimately, too many minor irritations and flaws made this game decidedly average.
  4. Jun 27, 2014
    Assassin's Creed Liberation HD is not the definitive way to play an Assassin's Creed game. The story, unlike most of the other games, is very jumbled around and confusing. The gameplay is also weak and full of bugs. That is not meant to mean that it is a bad game, just not a great one.

1. Feb 23, 2014
    AC Liberation HD lacks the production values the series used us to, and even if it's a Live Arcade release it results in a weak experience, with a badly narrated story and the complete omission of the multiplayer component, present in the original version. Ubisoft did a good HD porting job, but it's hardly an unmissable game.
  2. Feb 14, 2014
    For those who’ve played the original version, the update has nothing new to offer except for a slight spit-and-polish and a few extra lacklustre missions.
  3. Feb 10, 2014
    The only thing that Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD really succeeds with is to show how different a portable game is designed and why it usually doesn't work well with the consoles. The missions are boring and bland, and there really isn't anything in this game that isn't twice as good in the regular Assassin's Creed game, making this entry the worst in the series.