8.5

1. Jul 20, 2011
    This is one of the best games to be released in 2011.It's just amazing in every sense and the cherry on the cake is...only 15 dollars.This has $60 worth of quality content and then some.You just never know anymore,I was looking forward to Dirt 3 and while very good, it was a let down.This is a game that is just screaming with new ideas and content.It's an Indie game,WHAT?Craaazy
  2. Jul 21, 2011
    Fun game for $15. Very glad I bought it and played it. Gonna start new game plus now! woot
  3. Jul 22, 2011
    This is the first indie game that I think deserves a ten. From the absolutely stellar and unique soundtrack, the visuals resembling a water color painting in motion and the game play flawless, you'll never find a better use for 15$.
  4. Jul 25, 2011
    It's not often that an arcade game comes out of this quality. The charm of Bastion is overwhelming; the art style, music, sound effects, characters and narrator all help tell the story of a mysterious "calamity" that has claimed the lives of almost everyone and left the world in ruins. One of my favorite aspects of the game is the "inverse fog of war." Instead of exploring places, theIt's not often that an arcade game comes out of this quality. The charm of Bastion is overwhelming; the art style, music, sound effects, characters and narrator all help tell the story of a mysterious "calamity" that has claimed the lives of almost everyone and left the world in ruins. One of my favorite aspects of the game is the "inverse fog of war." Instead of exploring places, the levels drop in from the sky in context to where you move. The controls are as tight as any full $60 brawler action game ala God of War or Dante's Inferno. There's a good amount of progression, creatively implemented, and the customization allows for different play styles. Multiple endings towards the end has me playing through a second time with all the "difficulty modifiers."

Overall, this is one of the highest quality arcade games I've played in a while. From a story-telling perspective to style to features -- $15 is totally worth it. Easily the best arcade game of 2011 so far and I don't see any of the others in the calendar lineup topping this one.
  5. Jul 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The team over at Supergiant Games, a studio which was created by a small team of ex-EA employees set out to show the gaming community that you donâ Expand
  6. Aug 1, 2011
    Just amazing. This is definitely my favorite XBLA game. The story was intriguing and the combat was a lot of fun. Any time that you felt like it might get repetitive, you could just change up between the 10 or so weapons, the multiple upgrades for each weapon or bring different tonics with you. The shrines were great for the new game + also. After hitting level 10 with all your weaponsJust amazing. This is definitely my favorite XBLA game. The story was intriguing and the combat was a lot of fun. Any time that you felt like it might get repetitive, you could just change up between the 10 or so weapons, the multiple upgrades for each weapon or bring different tonics with you. The shrines were great for the new game + also. After hitting level 10 with all your weapons completely upgraded, you were basically immortal unless you turned on a few shrines. Expand
  7. Aug 1, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a 9/10, but I really couldn't justify it. I'm on my third playthrough and I really can't find any compelling reason as to why this game is not a 10/10: it's aesthetically gorgeous, the audio is beautiful to the point of astonishment, the gameplay is simple but engaging, level layout and flow is just perfectly nailed down... If you're wondering about theI wanted to give this game a 9/10, but I really couldn't justify it. I'm on my third playthrough and I really can't find any compelling reason as to why this game is not a 10/10: it's aesthetically gorgeous, the audio is beautiful to the point of astonishment, the gameplay is simple but engaging, level layout and flow is just perfectly nailed down... If you're wondering about the narration, it's more than a replacement for having a main character ramble out loud to themselves stating, "I need to find a key!", or a text popup explaining things. They've fleshed it out to the point of being a full feature of the game - you'll have to play it for yourself, but trust me it beats the hell out of an objective marker system. Expand
  8. Aug 8, 2011
    Featuring a unique art style, beautiful music, a massive inventory of items, and a heartfelt story, Bastion is an amazing game, arcade or otherwise. This is a game that absolutely oozes with heart, and you can clearly feel that Supergiant Games poured their soul into making this game. This is pure gaming bliss.
  9. Aug 17, 2011
    I go through video games like I go through cans of Red Bull. Play, Enjoy (or not), then forget. NEXT! A good game is a good game, but it still gets thrown in the closet. Bastion is an exception. When I played it at PAX East, I was worried about the narrator getting annoying, or the combat getting stale. Neither happened, and for those people who it did bother- giving it a 0/10 on thatI go through video games like I go through cans of Red Bull. Play, Enjoy (or not), then forget. NEXT! A good game is a good game, but it still gets thrown in the closet. Bastion is an exception. When I played it at PAX East, I was worried about the narrator getting annoying, or the combat getting stale. Neither happened, and for those people who it did bother- giving it a 0/10 on that alone is a bit absurd and should be ignored.

I will give people who are curious about the game a tip.
    1)Play through the game
    2)Pick the "Bad Ending."
    3)Play through New Game Plus
    4)Pick the "Good Ending."

That's all I can say without spoiling anything. Anybody who has beaten Bastion knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
  10. Nov 17, 2011
    Bastion is, in my opinion, one of 2011's best games yet. Satisfying gameplay, lush and detailed art, immersive music, and an amazing narrator all contribute to Bastion's experience. I would have paid $60 for this game. At $12-15, it's crazy to not own it.
  11. Aug 22, 2011
    Simply amazing, there are no words to describe Bastion YOU MUST PLAY THE GAME TO UNDERSTAND ITS GREATNESS! The music, the wonderful visuals, the deep characters all bring Bastion into the rank of Legendary. Compared to most AAA titles these days, Bastion is a true breath of fresh air, it takes the bar and launches it straight into the stratosphere. All developers should strive to bring theSimply amazing, there are no words to describe Bastion YOU MUST PLAY THE GAME TO UNDERSTAND ITS GREATNESS! The music, the wonderful visuals, the deep characters all bring Bastion into the rank of Legendary. Compared to most AAA titles these days, Bastion is a true breath of fresh air, it takes the bar and launches it straight into the stratosphere. All developers should strive to bring the quality that Bastion has brought forth to the gaming scene. Expand
  12. Aug 23, 2011
    The best Indie game so far, and i played many of 'em. If you like Action RPGs, than this is a must buy. Cool narrator, good story, many weapons and skills, and many cool new and fresh ideas. Pair that with a fantastic soundtrack and gorgeous full HD 2D graphics, and you'll get the best bang for the buck in a long time. And it has a lot of replayability too!
  13. Aug 23, 2011
    Better than I truly expected. Beautiful would be an understatement. Although very linear through to the end, it was an experience through and through. The story really makes you think. I would have liked it if there were a few more voice actors...there is a bit of inconsistency in the end.
  14. Aug 23, 2011
    From the moment you enter the world of Bastion, you can tell it will be a unique and fantastic experience. The art style is colorful and atmospheric and the controls and animations are smooth as silk. As you continue the story begins to unfold through a narrator speaking over the action; good voice acting and excellent writing make the action come alive with meaning without anyFrom the moment you enter the world of Bastion, you can tell it will be a unique and fantastic experience. The art style is colorful and atmospheric and the controls and animations are smooth as silk. As you continue the story begins to unfold through a narrator speaking over the action; good voice acting and excellent writing make the action come alive with meaning without any interruptions. Once in the game you will notice how seamlessly the whole experience is woven together. You are never bogged down by lengthy menu or inventory screens, the story never gets in the way of the action, and the unique missions will always keep you guessing. In terms of combat, the experience can be challenging, but never frustrating. You are always equipped with a shield and dodges to stay out of trouble while you use your choice of weapons (all with their own strengths, weaknesses, and available upgrades) and special abilities to dispatch your foes. When everything is said and done, Bastion is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time and well worth the bargain price. Also, pick up the soundtrack if you can, it is beautifully varied and creative Expand
  15. Aug 24, 2011
    One of the most entertaining and addictive games I've played in a long time. Great graphics, great, atmospheric music, and the levels are engaging and very unique.
  16. Sep 2, 2011
    One of my favorite games of the year, likely just one of my favorite games. Period. Fantastic combat, art, music (!!!); the narrator is a unique addition that isn't tacked on, but well executed. It's a game I see myself returning to year after year for all those reasons.Including the story actually; by the end I found myself surprisingly invested in it. I can't recommend this game enough,One of my favorite games of the year, likely just one of my favorite games. Period. Fantastic combat, art, music (!!!); the narrator is a unique addition that isn't tacked on, but well executed. It's a game I see myself returning to year after year for all those reasons.Including the story actually; by the end I found myself surprisingly invested in it. I can't recommend this game enough, and the cheap price certainly doesn't hurt. Expand
  17. Sep 2, 2011
    Anyone who gives this game a 0 is jaded and needs to move on. A 0 really?!? Just in atmosphere, art style it deserves a 70. The game is fun, challenging at times for the average player. Stop and smell the roses and ENJOY a game. This isn't Call of Duty where you are just working on getting to multiplayer. This is an experience. 10/10 easily.
  18. rez
    Sep 2, 2011
    Bastion is amazing. The core concept was brilliant and the execution is flawless. When the credits rolled and all I saw were six names, I was floored... not to mention inspired. The aesthetics are absolutely beautiful; it's a living, breathing artwork, and Darren Korb has provided one of the most memorable soundtracks I've heard in a video game in years.
  19. Sep 2, 2011
    This game was created with more heart than any games of recent. The artwork is stunning, the narration is a creative touch and the music is captivating. These factors add so much to game, yet they do not overshadow the game and the wonderful story that grabs hold of your emotions and doesn't let go. While the RPG elements may not be as apparent as fans of the "rpg" genre may want, there isThis game was created with more heart than any games of recent. The artwork is stunning, the narration is a creative touch and the music is captivating. These factors add so much to game, yet they do not overshadow the game and the wonderful story that grabs hold of your emotions and doesn't let go. While the RPG elements may not be as apparent as fans of the "rpg" genre may want, there is still enough variable gameplay there to make the replay value on this $15 game high. It almost has a Legend of Zelda-like feel to it as far as gameplay goes: variable weapons and upgrades, but with a focus on action and no so much on being a "true" rpg. It worked for Legend of Zelda... it works for Bastion. It takes a little getting used to at first, yes, but you almost instantly pick up the style and once you get lost in the story, you won't want to put it down until you've learned all you can about this fabulous world that Supergiant Games has created. They captivate you in even more with the wonderful music of Darren Korb. All of the songs are so fitting for their parts and put you in the mood of the moment, whether it be slower, sorrow-filled pieces or high-anxiety fight scene themes. The music plays a big part in this game. On top of the music, you have the wonderful narration which not only guides you through, but also reacts to your decisions. The narration makes the game the emotional masterpiece that it is. This is a creative new element to the game which tells you the story as it unfolds as opposed to just telling you the whole story and telling you your end-game. All in all, this game is a wonderful experience, especially for the price. If you love being taken away to new worlds with stories like no other that make you actually feel the emotions of the characters, then this is a must. Expand
  20. Sep 2, 2011
    Bastion is a great game all around - the art and music are beautiful, the narrator does an amazing job, and the gameplay itself is incredibly fun! Fast paced action and tight, responsive controls combine to make Bastion an absolute joy to play.
  21. Sep 2, 2011
    Best use of 15$. Has definitely skyrocketed to one of my top ten games. It is simply amazing in my opinion. Can't wait to see what the rest of the company has to die for. Even bought the physical copy of their soundtrack. That's how good I found this game guys. Try the demo at least and if you like it get it. If not. That's okay too =)
  22. Sep 2, 2011
    After seeing the giant surge of negative scores, I had to come in and help support Bastion. I do not understand the claim that Bastion is just a "dungeon crawl." I've never known a dungeon crawl to be this intense, fast, and vigorous. If anything, Bastion reminds me more of the SNES games I loved playing when I was younger, such as Secret of Mana and Terrianegma. Bastion was a refreshingAfter seeing the giant surge of negative scores, I had to come in and help support Bastion. I do not understand the claim that Bastion is just a "dungeon crawl." I've never known a dungeon crawl to be this intense, fast, and vigorous. If anything, Bastion reminds me more of the SNES games I loved playing when I was younger, such as Secret of Mana and Terrianegma. Bastion was a refreshing change from all the games made of muzzle flash and gunmetal grey. Every minute of bastion was a joy. Expand
  23. Sep 2, 2011
    Fantastic, amazing piece of work. The music, the story, the gameplay, all blends together perfectly to form a beautiful experience like no other game that I've played.
  24. Sep 2, 2011
    It's an XBLA/Steam title from indie developer Supergiant Games. Top-down action adventure. It's biggest claim to fame is that lush art style - and the fact that the story and the levels are narrated to you by a single character who reacts to your actions at a level of detail that rivals the Maddens of the world. It's post-apocalyptic: it takes place in a world that was torn apart byIt's an XBLA/Steam title from indie developer Supergiant Games. Top-down action adventure. It's biggest claim to fame is that lush art style - and the fact that the story and the levels are narrated to you by a single character who reacts to your actions at a level of detail that rivals the Maddens of the world. It's post-apocalyptic: it takes place in a world that was torn apart by something called the Calamity, and your job is to fix it. The game's visual style is highly abstract, colorful and rich. Dial a dreamscape from a painter's storybook to 11 and you might get something like Bastion. I find it about as gorgeous as a game can get. A key thing to point out is the way the landscape flies in: you start out most levels on a single small island floating in a whirling, colorful void. As you move around, fragments of the level will fly in and assume the expected positions. It supports the core premise: that you're seeing a tale spun to life by someone's vocal storytelling, so many details are missing and you're more getting the gist of it - or maybe it's accurate, and it's because of the peculiar way that the Calamity killed the world. The player can decide. My only complaint about the visuals are the enemy designs, some of which were a bit uninspired. The animations were also one of the low points, although at worst they were mediocre, and they tended higher than that. The developers say that they told their musician that they wanted "a fantasy frontier world", and he obliged with a musical style he called â Expand
  25. Sep 2, 2011
    Bastion comes as a surprise, and it doesn't let up. Players immediately feel the amount of quality and polishing that has gone into the game play. It is novel, well balanced, beautifully rendered, oozes attention to detail and love. Above all that, the audiovisual style is unique enough to give the genre a refreshing twist. The Story has been treat with equal respect, starts up nice butBastion comes as a surprise, and it doesn't let up. Players immediately feel the amount of quality and polishing that has gone into the game play. It is novel, well balanced, beautifully rendered, oozes attention to detail and love. Above all that, the audiovisual style is unique enough to give the genre a refreshing twist. The Story has been treat with equal respect, starts up nice but quickly evolves into a much more subtle and layered world that leaves you wanting for more games to play there.
    One can only applaud the team for leaving the mainstream industry and becoming founding their own studio, as this level of artisanship will hardly ever be reached by large developers.
  26. Sep 3, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful game. Highly recommended it, such a beautiful storyline. The narrator is amazing and it's truly an experience I'll never forget.
  27. Sep 3, 2011
    I loved it. The narrator is awesome, but the whole world has a great feel. I hope there is a Bastion 2. (why do I have to use 150 characters. I like to be short and to the point. )
  28. Sep 3, 2011
    Bastion grows on you, like a good book. It can be easy, with a simple yet effective gameplay and it can be hard, very hard (try activating all 10 idols... ), you choose. The art is amazing.. As for the narrator... I wasn't convinced at first, nor by the demo... but after my second run through this game... I love it :).
  29. Sep 3, 2011
    This game is completely mind-blowing. 10 out of 10 for story, graphics, and dialog; 9 out of 10 for combat; and an overwhelmingly beautiful soundtrack make this the best indie game I have ever played, period. Do yourself a favor and try it out.
  30. Sep 4, 2011
    The reactive narration of Bastion really sets it apart from other shorter games on XBLA or the Steam Indie games - you actually feel like you're part of a larger story. The art, animation and environmental design is fantastic, and the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard from a video game in many years - definitely the best from an indie game. The gameplay is fun and satisfying -The reactive narration of Bastion really sets it apart from other shorter games on XBLA or the Steam Indie games - you actually feel like you're part of a larger story. The art, animation and environmental design is fantastic, and the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard from a video game in many years - definitely the best from an indie game. The gameplay is fun and satisfying - especially the ranged weapons obtained early on in the story. But what makes Bastion my favourite game of 2011 so far is its seamless blend of story and gameplay. There are almost no cutscenes (and even then, they only last about five seconds), while the rest of the story is told through the player's actions and the ongoing narrative. It's simple, beautiful, fun, and will leave you wanting more. For such a low price, it is a definite must-buy this year. If it wasn't for Minecraft's November release, I would have predicted Bastion to win every Indie game of the year award for 2011. Expand

1. Oct 19, 2011
    This game is a tribute to action-RPGs of SNES era. It's a cross-breed between Zelda and Secret of Mana. And it is cute as a button and it sounds like a charm. This little adventure is a must-buy for RPG enthusiasts. [Sept 2011]
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    In all it's familiarity the Diabloesque gameplay sucks you in, but it is the beautiful word, the brilliant music, and the genius voice over that keeps you going. Bastion might be a game, but it's much more a fascinating fairy tale told in real time.
  3. Sep 25, 2011
    Teeth-grindingly annoying film noir-style narration over EVERYTHING you do. [Nov 2011, p.91]