8.7

1. Oct 8, 2010
    awesomeness in a X360 box. great that they used the voices from the cartoon show and the joker being mark hamill. the game was awesome. enjoyed tha combat and it is not hard to execute combos. i like the upgrades to the equipment over time allowing new take downs and areas to be unlocked etc.
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    Batman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing, immersive game that even borders on groundbreaking at times, yet still manages to be let down somewhat by lack of polish in a few key areas. It was the best game i had played in a long time, yet i couldn't help feeling that had as much love been given to basic matters like controls, AI, and boss design as were paid to faithfully creating what it's likeBatman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing, immersive game that even borders on groundbreaking at times, yet still manages to be let down somewhat by lack of polish in a few key areas. It was the best game i had played in a long time, yet i couldn't help feeling that had as much love been given to basic matters like controls, AI, and boss design as were paid to faithfully creating what it's like to BE batman, the game, while definitely a must buy for any action game fan, could have been truly genre-defining.

The good:
    Combat mechanics are deceptively deep and offer pick-up-and-play simplicity while having a lot more to offer for those who want to polish their skills a little more. Once mastered, combat is quick and intuitive, and there is a real sense of achievement and enjoyment to be had out of gliding toward a bunch of enemies, KO'ing one of them with a glide kick, landing, and proceeding to beat the daylights out of several others, using counters and various special move options to chain together long combos. One partiularly gratifying battle towards the end of the game allows you to go hand to hand with 15+ of the joker's henchmen in a locked room that's barely big enough to swing a cat, but if you've mastered the combat system, you can use batman's phenomenal martial arts skills to drop each and every one of the group over a several minutes long scrap, before continuing onwards towards their boss.

The Joker, voiced by star-wars actor Mark Hamill, is phenomenal throughout the game, even when not onscreen and making his presence felt through loudspeaker announcements over the asylum's ever present tannoi system. In contrast to batman's stoic, focused persona, his crazy, maniacal, and sometimes downright funny dialogue steals the show at every turn.

The game's replay value is excellent. Even when you've completed the main story, there are still loads of collectables, trophies, challenges, and one or two very cool secrets and side quests to uncover. Getting to 100% on this game really will take a LONG time.

The bad:
    Number one on this section has to go to the controls. While they're fine when batman has a bit of space, controls in close combat can be a bit clumsy, resulting in Batman taking an occasional lead pipe over the back of the head, which is never nice, or particularly in one of the games many stealth sections where batman has to creep around an area, covertly taking out armed enemies. Just occasionally, you'll need batman to creep up behind an enemy, kick his legs out from under him, grab him around the neck and choke him out silently before disappearing off into the shadows again, but the game will interpret your control commands as "do a random parry move, then do it again, then kick him in the back and warn him and his buddies that you're there allowing them to blast you into pieces". This can be frustrating at times, but nowhere more so than the game's stealth challenge modes, where the idea is to take out an entire room of armed enemies using stealth tactics and batman's arsenal of tricks and gadgets, in the shortest time possible. In these challenges, every second counts, and it's maddening to know exactly what you want to do, be in a hurry, and have the game do something completely different and blow your cover. Add to this the Xbox's lacklustre analogue d-pad that's used to select one of up to 8 gadgets to help you out when you're in a pinch, and batman thus getting the wrong gizmo out in a crisis, and you have a control system that's not as well designed as it could have been for what you need to do in-game. It's not monumentally flawed, and it works well for the most part, as long as you're not in a hurry, but it's definitely something the upcoming "Batman Arkham City" sequel needs to address.

The Boss fights are bland and generic affairs that don't really fit in with the overall tone of the game, and are boring and repetitive in parts. Bane, Killer Croc, and in particular Poison Ivy all were either boringly repetitive on normal, or maddeningly cheap and frustrating on higher difficulties. More thought should have been given to overall boss design in this game, as they all feel pretty much tacked on to the overall story.

Scarecrow. While the addition of scarecrow's platforming levels throughout the course of the game were an interesting twist on the gameplay, i couldn't help feeling that they didn't fit, and just served as an unwelcome distraction from the rest of the action of the game. Overall, despite a handful of faults, this game is still well worth a purchase for any action game fan, and is simply a "must buy" for any Batman or comic book fans in general. More stealth challenges, more polish on the combat and close quarters controls, better boss fights, and slightly less robotic AI would have made this an all time classic, but as it is, it's still well worth picking up. Score 90%.
  3. Oct 4, 2011
    Game of the year 2010. There is nothing bad i can say about Batman: AA. The combat is fluid and fun, and has great impact, The story is a classic batman plot, that doesn't take too much attention from the game itself, and the game ends exactly when it should, with a solid 30 hour clock for a thorough play through. Presentation wise, the voice acting is simply stunning, and the visualsGame of the year 2010. There is nothing bad i can say about Batman: AA. The combat is fluid and fun, and has great impact, The story is a classic batman plot, that doesn't take too much attention from the game itself, and the game ends exactly when it should, with a solid 30 hour clock for a thorough play through. Presentation wise, the voice acting is simply stunning, and the visuals match the asylum perfectly, being both creepy and comical. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of all time, stealth, combat, amazing voice acting. Everything you want in a game. This game was wall to wall entertainment, and worth every penny.
  5. Aug 21, 2010
    Arkham Asylum was everything I expected it to be. An compelling, original story. Good controls, and fun fighting techniques, unique characters, and it looked great all the while. It's everything a super hero game needed to be. I can't wait for Arkham City, definitely picking it up on Stream. this is my favorite super hero game of all time, close to the original Spiderman on Dreamcast!
  6. Aug 19, 2011
    I've never been a huge fan of the Batman comics, but I get the general idea and know most of the main characters. The only reason I got Batman: Arkham Asylum was because it kept getting great reviews, and it was on sale, so I thought "eh, why not". I aaaaaam so glad that I did; Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played on a console. The voice acting is great, theI've never been a huge fan of the Batman comics, but I get the general idea and know most of the main characters. The only reason I got Batman: Arkham Asylum was because it kept getting great reviews, and it was on sale, so I thought "eh, why not". I aaaaaam so glad that I did; Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games I have ever played on a console. The voice acting is great, the graphics are great, the story and presentation are great, and the hand-to-hand fighting system is probably the best I have ever played in a game. Those who are complaining about the controls and the fighting must have some pretty high standards, because to me I found the commands very responsive and the controls tight. Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I currently have 5 games , and of all the five that i've purchased, this is the only game that i can't get enough of. Arkham Asylum is that kind of game which, in my opinion, has re-defined the superhero genre of gaming. The Combat is excellent, the attention to detail is virtually ( aside from L.A Noire ) unrivalled, the voice acting is flawless and, above all ( in my opinion ),the predator tactics are so satisfying that it gives you a real sense of how it is to be the Caped Crusader. The story is so well written by veteran Batman writer Paul Dini and so well presented by Game director Sefton Hill and the rest of the Rocksteady team that it never fails to keep you engrossed. The game is a dream come true for die-hard Batman fans and an absolute delight for casual gamers like myself. Having said all that,however,the game does have a few minor flaws. E.g : The Boss fights get a bit repetitive as the game progresses, the A.I. can be a bit weak at times. But when looking at the game as a whole, it's hard to deny that the entire creative team behind Batman:Arkham Asylum have inevitably raised the bar for superhero games and has proven to be quintessential of a superhero game. Cheers DC Comics!!! Cheers Warner Brothers!!!!! Cheers Rocksteady!!!! Cheers Arkham Asylum!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  8. Oct 4, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 6
    Fun Factor: 9

Score: 8.8/10 = A
  9. Feb 10, 2012
    I loved batman growing up, I was even obsessed with those horrible batman movies of the 90s, but this game was literally a dream come true. I felt like batman, it's so god damn authentic. The scarecrow parts are by far my favorite parts of the game, holy hell!
  10. Oct 29, 2012
    This is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away. AsThis is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away. As someone that plays and sees a fair few average games, it made a nice change to have a title that I could not wait to have another go at. Expand
  11. Oct 17, 2010
    Simply, the best Batman game ever! What spoils the excellent adventure is the repetition of certain enemies types, Mark Hamill ie the Joker rabbiting on unnecessary at times, and some level design is confusing even in detective mode. Overall a classic in gaming!
  12. Nov 15, 2011
    I played this game for countless hours, I loved it. Pretty much everything about it is perfect and this is really suprising considering its a Batman game.
  13. Nov 24, 2010
    It was an awesome game in almost every way. The ending, for me, kind of sucked. Also, I felt like I could have rushed right through the game in a few sittings if not for wanting to force myself to take my time and try to accomplish the side quests. I hope the next Batman in this series is longer and more immersive.
  14. Mar 5, 2011
    Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham Asylum is the greatest game based on a comic book to date. Why, you ask? Firstly, the game remains true to the world of the Dark Knight. The characters in the game are authentic in terms of their physical appearance and their respective personalities. The game is oveflowing with characters from the Batman world, including The Joker, who is voiced brilliantly byRocksteady's Batman: Arkham Asylum is the greatest game based on a comic book to date. Why, you ask? Firstly, the game remains true to the world of the Dark Knight. The characters in the game are authentic in terms of their physical appearance and their respective personalities. The game is oveflowing with characters from the Batman world, including The Joker, who is voiced brilliantly by Mark Hamill. You will also come across Bane, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow and Killer Croc just to name a few. The story is excellent in entwining the various themes from the comics to produce a narrative that will keep the player coming back for more. The gameplay mechanic, which introduces the Free-Flow combat system, is great. This allows combat to be fluid and cinematic, immersing the player in Batman's encounters with his enemies. The system itself is easy to learn, but hard to master. Stringing together perfect combos takes a while to grasp and to be executed perfectly. The combat will evolve throughout the game, introducing the player to new gadgets at regular intervals. If I have to nit, it would have been nice to face-off against a wider variety of enemies. You will encounter armed, as well as unarmed thugs, along with the occasional boss battles. On the technical side, the game is amazing. The graphics are sharp, with excellent character models that adopt a comic book approach. The lighting and shading are also on par without any dips in the frame rate. In terms of sound, all the characters are voiced impeccably, from The Joker to the mere security guard. All in all, this makes for a fantastic experience as Batman, engrossing the player in a setting that is vast and beautiful.I suggest, whether you are a Batman fan or not, to lend about eight hours of your time to this title. You will indeed love it. Expand
  15. Feb 28, 2011
    I really enjoy this game. I think this is first good game about Batman. Arkham asylum is a masterpiece, for graphics and for level design. Fight is easy to learn, but hard to master. Detective mode made it a little to easy, but generally game is awesome. Can't wait for more.
  16. Feb 20, 2013
    Before I talk great about this game let me give you a little back story of me and Batman games. I love Batman, I think he is one of the coolest superheros of all time and it never seemed that Batman could not get a good game out on the market. I have played numerous Batman games like Batman Forever, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Batman Begins, and lastly Batman Vengeance. AfterBefore I talk great about this game let me give you a little back story of me and Batman games. I love Batman, I think he is one of the coolest superheros of all time and it never seemed that Batman could not get a good game out on the market. I have played numerous Batman games like Batman Forever, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Batman Begins, and lastly Batman Vengeance. After Batman Vengeance, I never thought that Batman would make a Blockbuster game. Well on August, 2009 I played Arkham Asylum and I was blown away from what I saw. Its the second best Batman game to date only behind it's sequel Arkham City. The Graphics, the fighting, the story, the villains, the setting, everything was just perfect! The plot of the game is your Batman and you have just caught the joker and you are sending him away to Arkham Asylum where all the high end criminals and Lunatics are at. Batman is suspicious about the Joker because he caught the him without any issues. His fears became real when the Joker devised a plan to release all of Batman's main enemies like Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Bane, Scarecrow,etc. Batman must stop these criminals before they reach Arkham city and cause terror. All of the actors from the Batman Animated series reprise their roles like Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker. It is extremely fun to fight these enemies and have to go through a series of puzzles and problem solving in order to defeat them. There are a lot of side-missions you can play and it is exciting to do these missions because they add something to the story. As Batman, you have a lot of gadgets to choose from like the Batarang, Explosive Gel, Grapple gun and many more. Even though there a lot of good things about the game, there is some frustrating parts as well. There are some missions where it might feel a little slow, the boss battles are way too easy, the menu might have too much information you need to know, and there are some parts that the game doesn't exactly tell you what to do so it might leave you confused and it will piss you off. Regardless, this game is awesome and you should really try this game. Expand
  17. Sep 11, 2011
    At long last, a developer who saved the Batman franchise crumbling to death, Batman Arkham Asylum is what Batman fans or super heroes fans want. Strong combat design makes every punch alive , nice detailed graphics is outstanding, Rock Steady did well in their attempt to save Mr. Bat
  18. Aug 19, 2011
    This is probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. Definitely the best Batman game ever and it's about time. If you're a fan of beat em' up, superhero games this is a must.
  19. Aug 30, 2011
    The best game that I posess. The game is simply genius in every way and the story is absolutely outstanding. IF you don't have it, than buy it! It is a game that at moments I have found difficult but altogether I didn't struggle with it too much.
  20. Apr 27, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = The best superhero game of all time is either this or spiderman 2. This game is very sexy and was also one of the biggest gaming surprises ever.
  21. Jun 13, 2011
    An amazing game let down by how stupidly easy is.Even on Hard,it's not challenging at all.Having said that though,it's a brilliant Batman game and I expect better from the sequel.
  22. Nov 4, 2012
    After a friend of mine harassed me for basically only playing FPS games, he suggested I give this a try. Based on all the critical acclaim, I decided to give it a go. And I'm sorry, I've got to say, I don't get it. The controls are incredibly clunky. There are way too many irritating collectibles and puzzles. This game is just tedious and very frustrating. One of the few good things I canAfter a friend of mine harassed me for basically only playing FPS games, he suggested I give this a try. Based on all the critical acclaim, I decided to give it a go. And I'm sorry, I've got to say, I don't get it. The controls are incredibly clunky. There are way too many irritating collectibles and puzzles. This game is just tedious and very frustrating. One of the few good things I can say about it is that I was a fan of the Batman comic books growing up, and they stayed very true to the characters. Otherwise, definitely one of the most overrated games of the last few years. Expand
  23. Nov 18, 2013
    Not fun, I have to agree with all of the other negative reviews. The gameplay is linear, like walking through a movie with only one possible course of action and either you're doing it or not. Combat is okay, but repetitive. I don't understand why people think this is what a "fun" game is. I can play for about 15 minutes at a time and then I think "working on my resume would be moreNot fun, I have to agree with all of the other negative reviews. The gameplay is linear, like walking through a movie with only one possible course of action and either you're doing it or not. Combat is okay, but repetitive. I don't understand why people think this is what a "fun" game is. I can play for about 15 minutes at a time and then I think "working on my resume would be more fun than this." I struggle to understand how this game has a metascore of 92 and a user score of 8.7. It's just Not Fun. I created an account here just to let people know. Expand
  24. May 16, 2011
    This game is broken. Two bugs exist that can make it unplayable, and you can only use one save slot, so there is no "going back a bit" to re-do. Other than these two unforgivable bugs, the game is great. I cannot confirm, but think that they both exist in PS3 and PC versions also. One of the bugs can be avoided, and I will help you avoid frustration by explaining how below with as fewThis game is broken. Two bugs exist that can make it unplayable, and you can only use one save slot, so there is no "going back a bit" to re-do. Other than these two unforgivable bugs, the game is great. I cannot confirm, but think that they both exist in PS3 and PC versions also. One of the bugs can be avoided, and I will help you avoid frustration by explaining how below with as few spoilers as possible.
    (MINOR SPOILERS START NOW). Wait until earthquakes, then read the rest and there will bot no spoilers. (SPOILERS START HERE, unless you are were I have asked) When you return to Botonacal Gardens going after Ivy, do not attempt to open any doors in the greenhouse that are covered with vinces. Once through, the game saves you in a room that there is no way to exit. Avoid this one and hope the other (pure chance/luck) doesn't happen to you and it's a great game.
  25. Jul 8, 2011
    Here is my review of Batman AA.

I bought this game after trying the demo and thought I would give it a go. Here is my review for this mediocre game: Graphics: The graphics are very mediocre. They were probably good 2 years ago but they have aged badly. I have other games from 2009 and they just kick the heck out of this games graphics. Too dark, a bit bland and totaly unexciting in my
    Here is my review of Batman AA.

Graphics: The graphics are very mediocre. They were probably good 2 years ago but they have aged badly. I have other games from 2009 and they just kick the heck out of this games graphics. Too dark, a bit bland and totaly unexciting in my view.

Controlls: The controlls are horrendous. At times they are so unresponsive it is beyond a joke. I have lost count the number of times I have pressed "Y" for counter and nothing happend or gone to fire my baterang and nothing has happened and I have noticed on numerous occasions that you have to actually stop running before you can do other moves. Terrible controlls. You can't do anything else whilst running around. Pathetic.

Gameplay: Very repetative short and mediocre. This is the gameplay, detect fingerprints, tobacco follow trail rinse repeat about 100 times, beat up bad guys rinse repeat, use stealth to get past guys with guns rinse and repeat. After the third time I was like not again.

The boss battles are the worst I have ever seen in my 30 years of gaming. The final Joker boss battle was the worst most pathetic end of game boss battle I haved ever done in my life. You never fought him. You fought his crap pathetic minions AGAIN for the millionth time. Someone needs to tell the creators the mid game bosses are not ment to be harder than the end game boss.

Poison Ivy was a joke and as for Killer Croc don't get me started! That is the worst boss battle I have ever seen in my life. Whoever came up with that should be shot! Terrible.

The length of the game was also trully pathetic. It is the shortest game I own. Someone really needs to tell Eidos how to make games with graphics and gameplay length.

I can play games for upto 6 hours a day and I did this in 3 DAYS! Bloody hell. Talk about short. I played Lego Batman for the same length of time each day and that took me 2 WEEKS to get it to 100%.

They had to add those ridiculous riddles to pad out the game because they knew they had created a short game!

Also there is no replayability value to it whatsoever. Pathetic. Once you do story mode there is nothing left to do in the game except for those boring challenges.

Story and voice acting: Again horrendous!

Overall a trully mediocre (at best) game and I am baffled at how this won all these awards. It is the second most overhyped and overrated game I have played only beaten by Assassin's Creed 1.

It is just another example of the reviewers falling for the hype machine. Someone plaese tell the reviewers what hyping up means as they haven't got a clue!

Thank goodness I only spent £9.90 ($15) on this as it is not worth anymore than that.

Overall score 4/10.
  26. Sep 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is wildly overrated, in that everyone seems to think that running around a bafflingly linear environment while mashing the 'X' button during combat is somehow fun. There is no point to any of the combat, or combos, or weapon use, because it's all just part of a redundant routine that plays out exactly the same no matter how many enemies you fight. What's more, some sequences are designed to kill you at least 30 times, requiring you to play the same five minutes over and over again until the AI lets you get lucky. The point I stuffed it back in the box was the time when I walked into a room with six gun thugs and booby-trapped gargoyles, thereby ensuring total failure and unlimited amount of times. This is not fun, and I don't see how anyone could possibly find it fun. Expand
  27. Aug 9, 2011
    One of the best games ever. Great in all aspects. I believe we will have to wait a long time to see a game as good as this one. Never played the other versions but I believe they must be as good as this one.
  28. Nov 8, 2011
    I picked this game up because of all of the Arkham City hype going on and I thought I would see what I missed out on Batman's first Arkham adventure from two years ago. I didn't miss anything. I've played enough of these games with Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and Splinter Cell that I don't find them enjoyable anymore and remembered why I passed on this one. It's just your basic hit the "A"I picked this game up because of all of the Arkham City hype going on and I thought I would see what I missed out on Batman's first Arkham adventure from two years ago. I didn't miss anything. I've played enough of these games with Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and Splinter Cell that I don't find them enjoyable anymore and remembered why I passed on this one. It's just your basic hit the "A" button until you get to your next cut-scene, mash the "X" button until everyone is defeated, and then figure out which particular object you need to use to move to the next area. This "trial and error" progression to make it through the next level is as old as the first Castlevanyia. I prefer the games that allow more than one way to complete a mission and allows improvising instead of resigning to the game developers single choice of progression. Why can't I use that particular duct work to swing over to an area when not to long ago I had to use a similiar duct work to progress before? This idiotic reasoning breaks the immersion of the story and constantly reminds you that you are only playing a game that has very limiting rules. These are the reasons why I stopped playing games like this about five years ago. I'm thankful that games have evolved into more engaging experiences like Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redempton, and so on. And one more thing....whose idea was it to make a Batman that cannot disarm an enemy?! What are those weapons ducted-taped to their hands? Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2011
    Batman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with itBatman Arkham Asylum is a fun and worth while single player game managing to make good use of the Batman francise. The game play is fairly fun but eventually becomes too much of a button masher, while it does look cool to bash the crap out of a mob of bad dudes it unfortunately runs on autopilot most of the time. The story is pretty basic but works decently, the main problem I have with it is the same problem I have with most comic book 'franchises' in that as it is a franchise there never seems to be an end, we know that batman is never going to die (if he did they will just bring him back to life), he will never totally defeat his enemies either, they will always come back again and again which does water down the story's significance. Recommened. Expand
  30. Jul 13, 2011
    In my opinion this is a fun stealth, and action game. The story is pretty good, along with the side modes, and just swooping down and taking down enemies is pretty fun. Even though one negative for me is that my whole game file was somehow deleted, this is still a game worth getting.
  31. Jul 8, 2011

Here is my review of Batman AA.

Story and voice acting: Again horrendous!

Overall score 4/10.

1. What may be one of Batman’s worst nights of his life may end up being one of many players’ best experiences of the year.
  2. This is certainly not a game for just Batman fans, comic fans or action fans; this is a game that everyone should play and thoroughly enjoy. It looks beautiful, plays like a dream and has a superb mix of action, stealth and detective elements. The combat is intuitive, flexible and surprisingly deep too. Give this game a go and you will not be pleasantly surprise, you will be blown away.
  3. Batman Arkham Asylum is a product of absolute value that can count on a cast of colorful characters to build a great game, really fun. The greatest strengths of the production lie in the gameplay built around what are the real capabilities of Batman, mixing action and stealth section, but always related with the universe from which have been extrapolated. Rocksteady's game is certainly the new standard for understanding how produce games under license, adapting for videogaming the very spirit of this historic character.