BattleBlock Theater Xbox 360

7.8

1. Apr 7, 2013
    Got this game right when it came out... was a big fan of Castle Crashers (the last game they made). The gameplay is pretty fun, platforming-style, but it feels good, but not great. I feel that it just doesn't have that spark that Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid had. Multiplayer was pretty vacant when I played, but I imagine that will change if more people buy the game. The heads toGot this game right when it came out... was a big fan of Castle Crashers (the last game they made). The gameplay is pretty fun, platforming-style, but it feels good, but not great. I feel that it just doesn't have that spark that Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid had. Multiplayer was pretty vacant when I played, but I imagine that will change if more people buy the game. The heads to collect and trade is a cool idea, but a lot of people play with the same head, making it easy to lose your character. The graphics style and cut-scenes are awesome and hilarious! The menu and UI just feels kinda unfinished and it can be frustrating to find what you are looking for. No controller options, limited other options (no brightness, safe screen, sensitivity, etc.). Also, this game took forever to come out, and they kept releasing screens and videos, but I have a feeling they were taking their sweet time to build up a following. Probably not worth a 3+ year wait... but a fun game nonetheless! Expand
  2. Jun 8, 2013
    Personally i loved this game, the challenges are superb and kept me challenged at all times. Very good learning curve were the game slowly gets harder while at the same time can be frustrating and also easy. The multiplayer is a complaint because i just don't like the combat and the game modes are not very great. There is a very good creation mode, where you create your own courses forPersonally i loved this game, the challenges are superb and kept me challenged at all times. Very good learning curve were the game slowly gets harder while at the same time can be frustrating and also easy. The multiplayer is a complaint because i just don't like the combat and the game modes are not very great. There is a very good creation mode, where you create your own courses for other people to play, this is done superbly. Even with my complaints i have not put this game down since i bought it 2 months ago. 7/10 Expand
  3. Apr 3, 2013
    Does almost nothing new for the genre of puzzle platformers and feels way too old and generic. Everything seen here can be seen in other platformers dating back to the 80's. That said, multiplayer and a robust level editor will keep you busy and there are several premade levels and lots of costumes. Considering the studio that made it and the amount of time it took for this game to be madeDoes almost nothing new for the genre of puzzle platformers and feels way too old and generic. Everything seen here can be seen in other platformers dating back to the 80's. That said, multiplayer and a robust level editor will keep you busy and there are several premade levels and lots of costumes. Considering the studio that made it and the amount of time it took for this game to be made I expected better. Expand
  4. Apr 3, 2013
    Following from the success of their top rated XBLA game "Castle Crashers", The Behemoth manages to reinvent the tired genre of platforming and makes something beautiful out of it. The presentation of the game is top notch with a hilarious narrator (that surprisingly never gets old) and music that all fits in perfectly to the quirky humor and unique art style of Dan Paladin.

The game

The game offers a lengthy story campaign that can be played solo or with a buddy, for multiplayer there is plenty of content to keep a party laughing the whole time as you backstab your friends over and over again in the name of comedy or compete with each other on 2 vs 2 in their own take of basketball, king of the hill, golden whale, and many more. When there's no friends around and you try to find something else to do, there is always online play, time trials or my personal favorite, the level editor. The tools in the level editor are robust, easy to use and definitely have a sense of achievement when you get your friends to try out your masterpiece (especially if they enjoy it).

For 1200 points ($15), this game goes far and beyond the average XBLA game to provide you with a full package of both single player and multiplayer content, highly recommend it.

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    May 22, 2013
    The Behemoth's follow-up to Castle Crashers has been well worth the wait. [Issue#98, p.79]
  2. games(TM)
    May 20, 2013
    The surprisingly lengthy co-op mode does not experience this fatigue, and coupled with the replayability of the other multiplayer options means there's a lot of fun to be had. [Issue#135, p.117]
  3. CD-Action
    May 13, 2013
    A pleasant and hard (in a fair way) platformer, but I think authors should have left out the enemies and the means to fight them, because they introduce unwanted chaos and the sense of losing full control over the character. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.78]