games(TM)Although Bad Company 2 sees a confident shift in scope to take in a wider-ranging conflict, DICE's big-budget spectacle isn't so impressive when placed alongside Infinity Ward's effort. [Apr 2010, p.106]
There's no denying the appeal of Bad Company 2's multiplayer. DICE is still expertly nailing down what it pioneered all the way back in 2002, and the experience remains far from stale. However, poor design in the single-player makes for a campaign that's not only lacklustre throughout, but cripplingly buggy at times as well.
Awards & Rankings
Generally favorable reviews- based on 882 Ratings
Aug 11, 2010A great game completely destroyed by a lot of small problems and before the rabid fanboys come to try and decapitate my post I want to stressA great game completely destroyed by a lot of small problems and before the rabid fanboys come to try and decapitate my post I want to stress it's almost good. I'll list the main problems I have though,
1. My biggest problem with this game is the inexplicable load time of 13 seconds. A disgracefully long time given the amount of times you die in this game. It encourages players to camp and use overpowered weapons (which I'll get to a bit later). Given that the game encourages you to spawn with your squad it's an appaling decision to have made and it alone breaks the game. But god is that not the only issue.
2. At the time of writing (august 2010) there are still only 9 new maps available 7 months after the game was released. That's tolerable-ish given that maps can change throughout the game time but DICE and EA lost all credit when they allowed new players to pay to unlock weapons. That is completely unacceptable! Unlocks ARE MEANT TO BE UNLOCKED not payed for.
3. Imbalance of weapons. Need I mention the M60, a hilariously broken gun even after the patch. Or any later shotgun which is a one shot kill from an ungodly distance.
4. Squads, wouldn't it make sense to put snipers with snipers, I find that very irritating when you're the only one actually running foward and your squad are half a mile away. and everyone else form a conventional squad. Or be able to spawn within helicopters even if the pilots not part of your squad?
5. A lot of new stuff is given too you in Multiplayer. This raises a very easy to fix problem, no one knows how to use the damn things! Tracer Darts are never introduced in Singleplayer (nor is flying a helicopter) so you have to know how to use them yourself. This could be fixed by toggling the private match settings so you could run around alone (like in MW2) but you need 7 other players to do so!
6. Singleplayer, what Singleplayer. It's over in 2 1/2 hours with little fun in between. I think the main problem is a lack of tension. You are with 3 other people and are ONLY with 3 other people. In the rare chance you meet an ally they will be blown up (or die inexplicably). In an invasion of a country you are still only with 4 people. It's also jaw droppingly obvious who the villain is, no that's NOT a spoiler. Also you never feel like you'll be ambushed because about 5 seconds before an Ambush a sign will come up saying FEND OFF THE AMBUSH. Also while I like the deliberate cliche it still takes itself far too seriously.
The main problem with BC2 is it's competing against MW2 when it shouldn't be. i didn't like mw2 but at least it knew it was a game. This game takes itself seriously half the time and pokes fun at itself the other. It copies MW2 alarmingly and tries to pass it off with a few fun references. it's not a bad game, it's a great game surrounded by mediocre ideas.… Full Review »
Oct 13, 2010What makes BC2 the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played? It's the cinematic moments. Such as riding shotgun on a 4-wheeler through theWhat makes BC2 the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played? It's the cinematic moments. Such as riding shotgun on a 4-wheeler through the Atacama desert as an Apache pilot flies low and close on your tail looking for the easy kill. Except, you pull out your Carl Gustav and watch it crash in flames on the ground after you catch it with your rocket dead on the nose. You and your squad then laugh as your 4-wheeler dodges the derbris and flames of what's left of the Apache on your way to capturing objective Charlie.… Full Review »
Dec 18, 2011Battlefield Bad Company 2 is, in my opinion, one of the greatest online FPS of all time! Obviously it has fault at some points (campaignBattlefield Bad Company 2 is, in my opinion, one of the greatest online FPS of all time! Obviously it has fault at some points (campaign isn't great) but the online aspect of the game is outstanding. The maps are huge, they provide different sorts of enviroments and best of all, something that most online games struggle at, they are BALANCED. DICE really have discovered hidden treasure because the quality of gameplay, graphics and teamwork. I find myself playing the game 3-5 hours daily and not once do I ever "rage quit" or get bored. The Cod series really need to step up to the plate this time and come up with new ideas as revamping older games into new games and selling them off for 50+ just simply isn't good enough. I challenge anyone to play Battlefield Bad Comany 2 online for 2-3 hours for a few days in 1 week and prove me wrong. All in all, 10/10 is my verdict. Simply a masterpiece, thinking "outside the box" is a huge step forward for gaming innovation.… Full Review »