5.9

1. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Made short:
    This DLC costs 400 ms but if you bought the season pass it is 800 ms, meaning 10 dollars.
    I make the math Usually DLCs are about 800 ms (or used to be) for mappacks or story substance...
    If you bought the season pass for example for Borderlands 2 you got 4 DLCs for the price of 3 (3 x 800 2400 but you got 4 DLC each individually 800 ms). The same is it with Metro last light, there you bought (3 x 400 1200 but will get 4 DLC indiv. 400 ms).
    What is it with Bioshock? You pay 1600 for 3 DLCs (would make 2 x 800? NO! This one is 400 ms) meaning you get less. Meaning for those that bought the season pass will pay relatively 800 ms.
    The DLC is 10 Dollars not 5.
    And you will get:
    No new enemies nor gameplay mechanics (vigors/ weapon upgrades/ weapons) nor story extras (yes, you get virtual collectibles videos, artworks) nor graphic upgrades on console and not even places you yourself couldn't imagine if you played the original game would sit down for some time.

The DLC itself is a challenge mode, where you play in 4 different arenas with 15 rounds each, that should have been included in the original game if you ask me!
    If it takes a storyline-giant like 2K/ Irrational 4 months to come up with this DLC and furthermore, as they have, they always insisted that they haven't been working on it before release, I would expect a lot more lets call it unique experience out of it (considering the price tag).
    Even with a price of 400 ms it was by comparison with DLCs of small developer like 4A Games (Metro last light Fraction Pack) an underwhelming experience for me.
    Yes, they have announced the return to rapture in two story driven DLCs that look so far amazing (trailer).
    But under all those circumstances it comes as this DLC is just a filler and considering the 4 months of work they supposedly spent a bad one.
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    After purchasing my Bioshock Infinite season pass, I was very much looking forward to the first piece of DLC. Unfortunately, what I received was best described as filler.

In the modern videogame world, AAA developers seem to be obsessed with multiplayer additions to games where it is completely unnecessary. Tomb Raider is one such example. I was very pleased when Bioshock Infinite was released without any multiplayer options. Clash in the Clouds feels like a multiplayer addition, without actually being a multiplayer game. The competition is not on a face-to-face basis, but over leaderboards. I play Bioshock games for the interesting storylines, incredible characters and varied single-player combat mechanics. So this doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Well... I say that, but Irrational Games have done something very clever here. And that is the ability to buy collectibles voxphones, statues, artwork which will complement and expand the storyline from the original Bioshock Infinite single player experience. As that is my focus, does this mean that I will be "grinding" through this DLC to unlock them all? Possibly. But under duress.

To me, Bioshock games are fantastic single-player experiences with just the right difficulty level for those gamers that adore storyline and cleverly-crafted backdrops over getting sniped by a 14 year-old from two miles away on COD. Having to fight two handymen and a patriot on the same map, at the same time, feels more like the latter, I'm afraid. A chore that must be endured if you want to unlock all of the collectibles.

Can't wait for Burial at Sea.
  3. Aug 16, 2013
    An absolute disappointment and waste of money. Many only have this DLC because they bought the Season Pass, which many now regret. This whole challenge mode could have simply been in the original game. This DLC has quite a number of bugs that can't seem to be fixed, nothing is really added that is worth buying an entire DLC pack, many of the Ribbon challenges are incredibly difficult andAn absolute disappointment and waste of money. Many only have this DLC because they bought the Season Pass, which many now regret. This whole challenge mode could have simply been in the original game. This DLC has quite a number of bugs that can't seem to be fixed, nothing is really added that is worth buying an entire DLC pack, many of the Ribbon challenges are incredibly difficult and time consuming with little to no reward. This also ruins anyone's chances of completing BioShock Infinite Achievement wise, as there is an Achievement to collect all Ribbons. 2K have even had the audacity to give out a competition where the only way to enter is to collect all Ribbons, giving a pretty poor excuse to a very poor DLC Pack. I advise everyone to skip this waste of money and time and simply hope they can redeem themselves with Burial at Sea. Expand

1. Sep 18, 2013
    A fine idea, but Infinite's combat isn't quite visceral enough to keep you (sky)hooked. [Nov 2013, p.69]
  2. Sep 18, 2013
    Clash in the Clouds is a decent enough diversion until the main event, Burial at Sea, eventually arrives. For as long as the leaderboards and museum can keep you entertained, there’s nothing inherently wrong with what Clash in the Clouds is offering.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    Clash in the Clouds is a good example of what DLC should be like. Instead of bringing more of the same, it does something completely new. It makes you experience Bioshock: Infinite from a completely different perspective en pushes you to do the best you can. Even if you get through all four arena’s and manage to get every collectible, there’s still the challenge of beating your high score.