8.5

1. Aug 12, 2013
    What a fantastic game. Honestly, BioShocks 1 and 2 weren't at the top of my games list, but this one just blew it all out of the park for me. I loved everything about this game. The gameplay, the characters, the setting, the story. My only honest complaint about this game is that the story can be a bit incoherent or confusing at times if you don't take the time to listen to all of the 'voxophones' you come across in the game. Other than that, the weapons and vigors are fun as hell to use, and I had more fun playing this game than I have with any other game in years. Definitely give this game a go if you're a FPS fan or you like deep, complex stories with great characters. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    This game was fun to play though, though I feel the combat is a little lacking. Still though, I loved it and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a story to dive into.
  3. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply put, amazing everything. SPOILERS the ending... a bit strange Expand
  4. Jul 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a huge fan of FPS games. They all seemed generic, following the same military style of story and gameplay. However, all my preconceptions about FPS games were destroyed by the original Bioshock, a game that seemed to show the potential of the genre. I didn't think any FPS game could surpass the brilliance of Bioshock. As you might have guessed, I was proved wrong. Bioshock Infinite not only surpasses the original Bioshock, it is also one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

Like the original, Bioshock Infinite is set in a very unique and bizarre world. The floating city of Columbia is, dare I say it, even cooler to explore than the underwater city of Rapture before it. Part of Columbia's charm comes from the art direction, which is amazing. Every building and detail of the city seems to bask in the sun's light, and everything has a beautiful glow to it. Granted, there's a lack of textures, however it doesn't even matter that much (I've heard this isn't an issue with the PC version). Columbia is just amazing to look at.

The gameplay in Bioshock Infinite is very familiar, but also very refined. You still have guns and Vigors (which are essentially Plasmids) which is all standard Bioshock affair. However, the Vigors in this game are far more satisfying to use than the Plasmids. Nothing is quite as cool as using the Bucking Bronco Vigor to launch enemies in the air, only then to send a Murder of Crows at them. There are 2 cools new additions to combat. First is the skyline, which can be used to zip around and attack enemies from various positions. The second is Elizabeth, who can open tears and bring in ammo, turrets, and other useful assets during combat. The only gripe I have with the combat in this game is that you can only hold 2 guns at a time, which is a shame.

You can't do a review of Bioshock Infinite without mentioning Elizabeth. Everything about her is just awesome. For one thing, you never have to worry about her, as she takes care of herself during combat. She also helps you by tossing you ammo, money, salts, and health packs. Her dialogue, voice acting, and character emotions all contribute to make her believable, interesting, and vital to the game's core experience. She's also very crucial to the plot.

The story here is amazing, plain and simple. It starts off pretty basic, "Bring us the girl, repay the debt". However, as the game progresses, the narrative evolves into something very fascinating and foreign, but at the same time very familiar. The most notable moment of this game is the ending, which is, simply put, one of the best endings to any video game you'll ever play. It not only reconstructs the entire narrative of Bioshock Infinite, it also completely reinvents how you viewed the original Bioshock. The ending alone makes this game masterful.

Simply put, this game is a masterpiece. Do yourself a favor and just play it. I honestly didn't think it would be this good, but I was proved wrong. It's an understatement to say this is just one of the best games of 2013. Bioshock Infinite is, without a doubt, one of the absolute best games of this generation.

9.7/10
  5. Apr 21, 2013
    This game is amazing. I know that is like a broken record but MAN it really is incredible. The story. Characters. Gameplay even though the guns kinda look the same from one and other, that part didn't really bother me. Vigors. Columbia. Oh my GOD Columbia. This city is beautiful, it engages you to explore it, and the light effects are great in the city. Simply put is Awesome. And don't think the ending sucks because it makes you think, like a great sci-fi movie should do. Blade Runner, Inception, and others to name a few as inspiration for this game. So if you like sci-fi, steam punk, thought provoking story and ending, and great characters and fun gameplay than go BUY THIS GAME!

*THUMBS UP! d(>w
  6. Apr 16, 2013
    Brilliant storytelling, i was stunned by the final, that kind of writing needed to really understand the whole picture by being engaged at all moments. Anyway the lack of a plus story mode was a mistake.
  7. May 23, 2013
    Its a worthy successor to the original. The story can get too much at the end, but overall it's really enjoyable. The gameplay is very satisfying, I mean I never felt so good blowing someone's head off, however unlike Bioshock 1, it doesn't tie end with the story, it's just there. With that said though, everything else is enjoyable. The characters are lovable and the story is fresh. I would highly recommend you play this game. Expand
  8. Mar 30, 2013
    Loved this game from beginning to the very crazy end. It was so much fun! I was a big fan of Bioshock 1, not so much Bioshock 2. Bioshock Infinite is almost as great as the first one. Looking forward to my next playthrough.
  9. Mar 26, 2013
    Feels like Bioshock in terms of the control, movement, and gunplay. But the ambiance, the setting, the world... it's even better than Rapture. The racial supremecy overtones are spot on and they give this game an added boost to players who appreciate an intricate and controversial plot. This is a must play. Sure, there are better FPS out there (in terms of combat), but there is only one Columbia, and it's beautiful. I almost creamed myself playing the first fifteen minutes what with the fair and the conversation and the historical references... and that's even before the combat begins. I think I'll put Gears down for a while and experience this. It really does not get better than this one. Expand
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    There is seriously nothing I can think of that takes away from this game. From the ride up to Columbia, to the moment when everything finally clicks during the final cutscene, it was a blast to play and I had a lot of fun during my playthrough.
  11. May 22, 2014
    I like the settings, the story and the gameplay in general. It is a solid game with unique perks. For me, Bioshock is a franchise I will always play but never will consider it as a perfect game or 10/10 game. While I enjoyed the game for most of time, I never found the story is that special as someone claimed, and I always need to push myself a little bit to finish the game since the game bored me here and there. Expand
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    Loved every minute of the game the graphics, the sounds effects, the guns and the way the story line was it was perfect hope to see another game like this on PS4.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    Sorry it put me at a 7 I meant 10. Anyways probably one of my favorite games I've ever played. It's just a stunning masterpiece. I cannot express enough how amazingly awesome this game is.
  14. Jul 13, 2013
    Wow. Unbelievable. I got my hands on this game through a friend and never would have imagined having so much appreciation for it in the end. Personally, I have been losing interest in gaming in the last couple of years, but Bioshock Infinite has, without a doubt, prolonged the day in which I decide to give up on video games. This had a fantastic story; a story I didn't think a video game was capable of telling. It played as if a science fiction novel, done by H.G. Wells or Jules Verne. The characters were fantastic. And you couldn't help but admire Elizabeth her character felt like Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2. Finally, I couldn't have given it a 10 without the ending. Bravo. It literally made me jump up from my seat and run around the room in shock. I love when a game does that to me. And I love it when a game is so complex that it allows me to replay it and see all the puzzle pieces coming together in my head. The first Bioshock allowed me to do that, and so did Infinite. This will definitely go down as one of my favorites. Expand
  15. Mar 30, 2013
    I was worried about leaving the dark, ominous depths of Rapture to explore this colorful new game, but after a few hours i was hooked. The action is much more intense and much tighter than the previous games, and though there might not be as many plasmids/vigors, the combos are just so satisfying. Knocking enemies off the world with vigors and the skyhook just never get old. The characters and the connection between them really drive the story forward too, and if the player takes their time through this one there is some great detail and heart within this game. There might be low-res textures up close and maybe there couldve been more done with weapons after seeing the modding system from bioshock 2, but the downsides in the game never stopped it from moving forward. Definitely looking forward to whatever these guys have in mind for bioshock infinite in the future. Expand
  16. Apr 25, 2013
    What has been said has been said already, the only thing that I can say is that when you upgrade your weapons you don't really see it and the clothing perk system is a bit lacking, other than that its an amazing game.
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    This is the first time I've ever left a review on Metacritic and I thought I needed to do so in this case since I was so utterly blown away by this game from start to finish. I don't think it is overstating the case to say this is the best game I've played in many years and I was just overcome with the beauty and immersion of the city of Columbia. No spoilers here but the story and especially the ending were excellent. The only real negative I can think of (and this is very slight) was that I would have liked to have seen more of Songbird. Anyway, I received this game on 23/4 and played it almost flat out finishing it early on 25/4. I'd say the campaign was about 15-17 hours in length (if you are an explorer like me and I always play on challenging difficulties, "Hard" in this case). I'm now on my second play through on the Hardcore "1999 Mode" and loving it. I've also downloaded the season pass and can't wait to see what additional single player content they put out. Enjoy. Expand
  18. Apr 25, 2013
    Amazing game, story completely blew me away! Also, I could spend all day riding the skylines, similar to swinging all over the city in spiderman 2. Once you replay the game a second time (which I recommend you do), your eyes open up to everything that you dismissed in the first play-through. I won't reveal anything, but I definitely missed a lot of little details that hinted at the story progression Expand
  19. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is what video games were meant to be: true interactive storytelling, without pointless or limiting cut scenes. Irrational Games made some giant promises and they delivered.
  20. Mar 27, 2013
    First things first, I could probably more accurately give this game a 9.5, but since I didn't have that option, I decided to side with my enthusiasm and give it the perfect score. Sure, the game is not without it's faults, but it was so easy to get caught up in things that it does right that I just didn't mind.

For those of you that are concerned that taking the series out of Rapture
    and doing away with series staples like the Big Daddies and Little Sisters means this isn't a "true" BioShock game, put those fears to rest. Columbia is every bit as beautiful, mysterious, and, at times, terrifying as Rapture, and from the moment you begin controlling the hero, Booker DeWitt, it just FEELS like BioShock.

Speaking of Booker, it's a real testament to the quality of the story telling that Irrational Games was able to make me feel like I was in his shoes. He's initially not a particularly likable character, given that he has a very specific and damnable backstory, but his decisions quickly started to feel like MY decisions, and by the end of the game, I was even sharing emotions with the guy.

That, in a big way, is where Elizabeth comes in. She is the emotional center of the game. When she's sad, you want to comfort her. When she's disappointed in you, you feel shame and you want to make it up to her. When she's afraid, you want to protect her. This game made me, very intentionally, LOVE this character.

My main concern about her was that I'd have to spend time babysitting her in battle, which fortunately, is the exact opposite of how it works. The game makes it very clear from the moment she joins you that she can take care of herself, and that she'll even go a step further and take care of you. Ammo, health, salts, and strategically placed items on the map are what she offers, and, many times over, I would have been dead without her help. The rare moments when she's not with you will leave you not only feeling alone, but feeling very vulnerable.

If it's not clear, Elizabeth's timely assistance was definitely one of my favorite aspects of the gameplay, but it had close competition from the inclusion of the SkyHook. Powerful melee attacks, brutal executions, and, of course, the ability to zip around the play-area in order to gain a strategic advantage, cheese it, or execute death from above all combined to make the SkyHook just... fun! The ability to carry only two weapons at a time was definitely frustrating at times, but it also added a certain element of strategy to the gameplay when it came to choosing which weapons suited my play-style best and which weapons paired with which vigors best. Vigors are, of course what completes the feeling that this IS a BioShock game. Working in very much the same way as the plasmids did in the first two, they are your attainable powers. Each one has a basic attack version and a trap version (I found myself becoming quite attached to the Shock Jockey traps), and they are, just like in the first two, practically key to your success in this game.

There are a couple places where the game fell short. One is time. Some people are going to feel like this game is too short, especially after paying $60 for a game that JUST has a campaign. I, myself, only got about 12 or 13 hours out of it. However, the narrative of the story is so, in my opinion, perfectly executed that it would have been a shame if they had ruined the flow of the story purely for the sake of getting a 20-25 hour game out of it. My only real complaint for any point in the game, in fact, is when they almost did just that. There is a portion in the middle of the game where they are obviously stretching the story out a bit by sending you these cycles of missions where you never seem to quite be at your destination. It's short-lived, though, and the narrative picks right back up, and, in the meantime, you still have the fun of combat to keep you entertained.

Overall, it's not the best FPS combat you'll have ever experienced, but that's not why you're playing this game. This is storytelling at it's finest, and you are rewarded turn after turn with a mystery that just keeps building until an ending that literally made my jaw drop. I can't wait until my friends start getting through this game simply so I have SOMEONE I can sit down and rand about this game with. Do yourself a favor; don't be the person that's left out of those discussions. Play this game. Love this story. Debate it with your friends. It's what Irrational wants, and, though you may not know it yet, it's what YOU want.
  21. Mar 26, 2013
    I had doubts before preordering the game, but I gave it a shot, since I loved the bioshock games from the past, and I always liked the atmosphere which is unique to this game, no game has this kind of graphics, and sounds, and environment. The gameplay, as always, fun to play, and not to easy, but possible, (not like those games that you die a thousand times to move on). In addition to that, you have a unique companion, that aids you in many ways, Elizabeth will through you a coin she found, or a shotgun when you are out of ammo, also, her character is something I never saw, she moves along with you, not after you, she interacts with the world, like it was real, she would tell you her opinion or just go around and look. If you love singleplayer games, and are looking for something fresh that no other game can offer, give this a shot, you won't be disappointed. Collapse Expand
  22. Mar 26, 2013
    Best game in years! Best game in years!Best game in years!Best game in years!Best game in years!!
    Best game in years!!

Must Buy,dont even think twice.
  23. Mar 26, 2013
    I finished Bioshock Infinite late last night, and after I turned my console off and turn in to sleep I spent hours awake reliving what I had just played, working through it all and it was then that I realized that this game right here deserved a 9/10 despite some of the flaws it has that might have killed a lesser game

Yes Bioshock Infinite has flaws, I played this on my 360 (duh) and
    some textures were not up to standard and looked hilarious when you stood close and made an obvious choice to notice their flaws, but these were for background items such as books in a bookcase. Elizabeth, despite most of the time being an incredibly useful companion would sometimes block my movement when out of combat or I would lose her, minor flaws as she worked perfect in combat and saved me several times.

Despite these two flaws that were minor niggles at most (but that graphics thing REALLY would have spelt death for a worse game) Bioshock does lots of things so right you forget the flaws, that then makes it all the more jarring when one of them comes back to haunt you.

Combat is fast and fun especially with the use of the skyline, adding verticallity to a game that could have been very flat. Using Elizabeth to open tears while riding the lines full pace to pull off hit and run attacks against a Handiman left me feeling satisfied in a way I have rarely felt in recent games. While only two guns can be held it is easy to find ones you want on the battlefield and switch them out, but for me I was only switching one out due to my attachment to the China Boom shotgun (seriously that thing was my constant companion once I picked it up for the first time). Vigors, while there are less of them than in Bioshock 1 and 2 the ones we have spice up combat even more. Want to pull an enemy sniper on a rooftop to you so they can get a facefull of China Boom? undertow my friend. Want to re-enact that scene from The Birds? Murder of crows. Want to send the enemy's fire right back at them? Return to Sender. While you are also forced to have only two selected at once it is easy and quick to switch them out when you're in a situation that calls for something else.

The atmosphere and tone of Columbia is spot on and this was in fact the first game that made me feel bad for my destruction (something that comes as naturally to an FPS player as breathing). After the visceral "F*CK YEAH!" feeling of accomplishment had left me and I was left to slog through ruined streets and the corpses of not just my enemies, but innocent people, I felt twinges of guilt for my part in the destruction of a beautiful, if troubled, city in the clouds. Oh yes Columbia is beautiful, before the aforementioned ruins and destruction Columbia felt like a dream. The bright, blue sky, the sunkissed street's, it had the atmosphere of some kind of afterlife just from the lighting, I spent more time than I would care to admit simply walking around and listening to the soundtrack, the people, and of course the barbershop quartet.

Finally, last but definitely not least, we come to the story, and the main reason my head spent so long trying to wrap itself around what I had just experienced. I'll try my best to hold off on spoilers and just say that it made my heart twinge in all the right places. This is not just Booker's story, it is Elizabeth's and it is Comstock's, all three of them are connected in ways you can't imagine and the resolution to it all, a twisted mirror of an early scene in the game, left me with chills. This game is filled with awesome supporting characters, from the Ryan-esque Fink to the mysterious Duo (that's what I call them) that are first seen in the opening of the game. When you play this game pay attention, explore, see EVERYTHING Columbia, bless its terrible heart, has to offer.

Now if you will excuse me, I have another play-through to start.
  24. Mar 26, 2013
    I am huge on multi-player games. In fact I haven't really got into a single player campaign since the first COD4: MW game came out. I have heard such rave reviews I had to give this a try. Bioshock Infinite will be the first single player campaign that I will finish since Modern Warefare, that is how I know this game truly deserves a 10 from me. The graphics are gorgeous and game play is so much more than what I have expected. From the moment I entered Columbia I explored every space and corner of the place. This defiantly makes me want to pick up the first two games. Expand
  25. Mar 27, 2013
    Beautiful color pallet new additions into series ass fun elements the sound track makes you tense and gripe certain areas adds a new chapter too bio shock one that sends the series forward rapture was epic and concept of a floating city adds a unique fresh take on a game element not seen in many games in recent years
  26. Mar 27, 2013
    The original Bioshock was amazing, due to the genius behind the fine folk at Irrational Games. They prove they know what they are doing once again in Bioshock Infinite.

First of all, Columbia is an amazing setting. When you start the game you will probably marvel at how perfect this city is. The citizens are happy and seem to be enjoying themselves. However, when you pull back the
    curtains that hide the true Columbia, you'll probably be more than a little shocked. Columbia is still stuck in the 1800s and still hold the ideals of the time period. You will definitely see the underlying tone of racism this society still holds.

When I first met Elizabeth I felt an instant connection to her. She knew as much as I did about Columbia, which meant there would be a lot of discovery involved. Irrational really did pull out all the stops with Elizabeth, her character is amazing, and the technology into making her a helpful NPC in combat really works. When I was really close to dying Elizabeth would be there to throw me a health pack.

Finally, the level design is perfect. Skylines are always helpful, and are absolutely and wonderful addition to the game. The feeling of flying through the sky on these metal rails is amazing and also adds a feeling of exploration that no other game has ever explored.

That said, the game feels a little unfair sometimes. Having a huge enemy such as the motorized patriot in combat with several other enemies makes the difficulty spike tremendously and has caused more than a few deaths on my part. This adds a little strategic flare to the game, but once again makes it difficult.

This game is wonderful and well worth the $60. It is no wonder the team at Irrational is always being called the people who define video games as an art form. The engaging storyline and imaginative and creative settings are the elements that define the Bioshock series. If you are looking for a refreshing take on the standard FPS, then this is the game for you.
  27. Mar 28, 2013
    Nothing spectacular about the gameplay. Typical shooter with an added sky rail gimick. Controls are not as smooth as most other shooters. The upgrade system is lacking to say the least, leaving you to comb for gear and purchase upgrades rather than grow with the abilities you tend to use the most. Combat is nothing out of the ordinary from your AVERAGE shooter and actually feels a little dumbed down/ easy. Gameplay and mechanics get a 6/10.

The story and sense of immersion, however, are superior to most of its peers. The environment is very well developed and the characters are colorful and full of personality. The story is a great discourse on the social climate in America both historical and present. Story and immersion get a 9/10.

Overall the game gets an 7/10. I have seen a lot of 10/10 ratings out there. This game is not a 10. Other than the story, the game is par.
  28. Mar 28, 2013
    This is the kind of game you will always remember, and one most studios don't have the guts to make. It could have been a spectacular failure, but it succeeds in so many ways despite its imperfections. It's a joy to experience the intricate story as it unfolds, though the uneven gameplay can become a drag if played over long stretches. The ending is astounding and powerful, though perplexing unless aided by a second playthrough. Levine and his dedicated team have created a masterpiece and a worthy successor to the original. I prefer the atmosphere and art direction of the original Bioshock, but Infinite's story is far more original. Simply excellent. Expand
  29. Mar 28, 2013
    This is one of the very best games I've played in a while. Very inspiring story, great gameplay, what else could you ask for. Columbia just looks beautiful and so real, you just feel like you were there. Thanks for bringing us one of the greatest games ever Ken Levine, you're definitely in the right direction. Keep it up. If I had to describe this gem with one work it would be: EPIC
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    This is one of the best video games I have ever played. And that is why I'm going to start the review off with things that were poor about the game.
    Character control is the slightest bit murky. We're not talking Red Dead Redemption bad, but Booker DeWitt seems just the littlest bit unresponsive. Starting a sprint is a bit more difficult than I'm used to; sidestepping is a tiny bit
    awkward and has a little bit of lag.
    The Vigors just seem slightly off, and forced. I was never a fan of plasmids in the original BioShock (despite it being one of my favourite games of all time) and although the Vigors are implemented infinitely better into core gameplay in Infinite in that you don't need to switch between a gun or a plasmid, I found that in my first playthrough I actually never used the Vigors at all except for when they were necessary to story progression, or by complete accident which elicited inappropriate words from myself. Collision in this game is a bit upsetting. The world is absolutely huge! I understand that. But within my first 10 minutes into the game I found a glitch where you could walk around outside Columbia on thin air which is entertaining and fun yes, but a pretty noticeable glitch on a game which has had 3 years of development. Another time, I got stuck behind a barrel in an office of an arms dealer and had to reset from the last checkpoint after 5 minutes of furious button mashing (and even more furious swearing).
    Not a negative but still surprising to me, was the amount of FPS in this game. I love shooters, but I was really hoping for a more story, atmosphere experience. These are both supplied in droves and the shooting doesn't take anything away from the experience of the game at all, but I was surprised at the amount of combat nonetheless.

That's all the bad. Now let me delve into why, despite those (honestly fairly minor) problems with the game, why it is one of the best games created in a very long time. Not only in terms of gameplay, which at its worst is slightly rocky, and at its best is absolutely seamless and exhilarating, but in storytelling (and actual story itself), and atmospheric setting. The game starts you off on a boat with two particularly aloof characters giving you information but entirely ignoring your questions he DOESN'T row. What? It is as disorienting and confusing as the initial BioShock as you walk up to a lighthouse and see increasingly worrying signs. You solve a little puzzle an- wait what the hell? The sky is lighting up under the sound of a foghorn. This moment is when confusion gives way, and instead begins the incredibly dystopian, twisted transition to the sky that is in my opinion, much more disheveling than the opening of BioShock. That being said, stepping out of the pod in BioShock is definitely a more difficult decision than in Columbia the polar opposite of its predecessor warm, inviting, cheerful, choir music and candles invite you lovingly into the bosom of Columbia.

This begins the incredibly detailed, wonderfully fleshed out adventure through Columbia, as well as time and space itself. Everything about the atmosphere is perfectly thought out, down to the last touches, whether that's a poor young boy singing and begging in the poor streets of ShantyTown, or a girl who is far removed from the game objective, who kindly asks you to donate towards her cause. Detail is something that clearly, Irrational Games does not overlook one cutscene in particular had me in awe of the level of detail after Booker played guitar and Elizabeth sung in a part of the game so off the beaten trail I bet 1/10 of the players who finished the game saw it.

The AI in Elizabeth herself is something to behold. I cannot believe the amount of work that went into creating her from her sighing and sitting down on a couch, chair, wall when you take too long; to her bending down to closer inspect small details of the map; to her balking at blood splatters you just created with an enemy; Elizabeth was not a half-hearted project. The emotional connection you feel to the character is intense and undeniable as the game ends (provided you followed the story and didn't just like the blam-blam) you are either forced to sit in tears in your eyes (either of sadness or just from how purely brilliant this game is) or with your mouth agape as you process everything that just occurred. Or maybe both.

There is enough exploration in this game to last several playthroughs. I picked up my 8th infusion (upgrades to shield, health and salts) and patted myself on the back for upgrading my shield all the way "so early" and I went on to beat the game about 2 hours later I thought I was really indepth in my exploration but I was sorely wrong. This game has so much to offer it's a wonder even the developers remembered where everything goes.

Basically, there is so much good about this game. It is this generation's Half-Life 2. If you didn't love the story, you didn't understand it.
  31. Apr 13, 2013
    Columbia where dreams are made and destroyed. Political Turmoil plagues our world of Columbia and one mans search for a girl eventually turns into a quest to defeat a tyrant. Bioshock Infinite blew me away as soon as the opening scene of Columbia is revealed. I'll start off with the Visuals, Graphics were pretty well done nothing groundbreaking as Crysis but nonetheless the iconic monuments, areas and enemies make this game look beautiful, Booker Dewitt is a great protagonist fearless and wont stop till Elizabeth is safe. Gameplay wise if you have played the previous Bioshock games you'll feel right at home switching between vigors and and weapon is done by a selection wheel, combat is fluid and done well even though AI is not the smartest its quite satisfying striking a guard with a Skyhook to the face. The story is what makes this game so amazing you think you know what to expect but in the end you just don't. Bioshock Infinite is a game everyone should play this year and if you have not please do yourself a favor and go down to the nearest game shop and purchase it you will not be let down. Expand
  32. Mar 30, 2013
    While not quite deserving of the title of Game of the Generation, Bioshock Infinite does so much right, it's hard not to fall in love. The graphics are a little dated, but the art direction is beautiful, just beautiful. To walk out of the door and see a floating city easily rivals the intro to Rapture from Bioshock 1. The Characters are real, believable, and the voice actors are fantastic. Combat is much like Bioshock 1, but the Skyhook makes for a great and balanced weapon and tool, and the executions are brutal, but still great to perform. I would only say that it feels a bit lengthy, and I really wish multiplayer had been included. Irrational has been open with us about this thought, and that makes up for some of Infinite's flaws. Overall, after playing the game, I would consider Bioshock Infinite to be a rare gem in a genre suffering from too many bad shooters. It is enjoyable, pretty, and is going to be a good choice for GOTY of 2013. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2013
    If you've been on the Bioshock train since the beginning, you'll fall in love with Bioshock Infinite. The game play has been vastly improved from its predecessors, and the art style has only become more unique and vibrant. Sky-lines offer a thrilling new way to approach combat, and though I had my doubts about it, proved me wrong by making fights more engrossing and intense, especially in the higher difficulties. The second I took my first big step on to Colombia, I was blown away by how beautifully everything was designed and placed. From the Mosaic-like windows, to the larger than life statues, Infinite truly makes you feel like you're in another, separate world from ours. The only hiccups in the game are some textural issues that are more common than I'd like to admit, and a some what unsatisfying ending that leaves you thinking "Well what happened next?" Also, in my opinion, combat felt severely hindered by the fact you could only carry two weapons at a time, whereas in previous games you were allowed to carry every you weapon you found a long your adventure. Overall, Bioshock Infinite will only disappoint the most pessimistic, glass half-empty, least educated people on Earth. If you love Bioshock, you have no excuse not to to buy or rent this game. If they haven't already picked it up, all your friends, family, and pets will be begging to borrow this game. Expand
  34. Mar 30, 2013
    Rarely is there a game that as soon as you finish it do you want to play through it again immediately. Bioshock Infinite is one of those gems that you can't help but play again and again. whether it be for the excellent, thought provoking story, awesome gameplay, incredible voice acting, or simply to see the beauty of the city of Columbia one more time. This is the type of game that you will want to stop and smell all the roses and dive head first into its mythology and world. This is an instant Classic and everyone will find something to love Expand
  35. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a great addition to the Rapture-based Bioshock in the past. The two are correlated in a cool way. Without spoiling anything, I can say it is a mind bender of a game, especially the final 20 minutes. This is the first game I've had to sit down and think about it. People are going to theorize and come up with explanations, which is something that you don't see often. It's VERY complex. After all the secrets are spilled, it demands a second playthrough. Knowing what you've learned will make the game different the second time around and you'll learn new things as you play it again and again. It's kind of like Pink Floyd the Wall. The more you listen to it the more different things you learn. This is a great game, but it can be very complicated and hard to wrap your head around it. There are great elements that make this play like the original Bioshock, but there are great new things such as the skyline and new vigors (plasmids) that make for some new kinds of combat. I do feel that the audiologs are not as good as the ones found in Rapture and there aren't as many choices to make or twisted characters. However some of the new enemies are great. The Boys of Silence are especially creepy. A great thing about this game is not everything is trying to kill you. You can walk around the city at some points peacefully. However this game is slightly more linear and there are less choices to make. Columbia is a great setting and a great representation of turn of the century 1900s America. I love the concepts of nationalism, racism, zenophobia, and the steampunk style. This game is DEEP and one of the most creative and wonderfully designed games since, well, Bioshock. At the end you may be confused but its OK, a lot of people will, but once you've beaten Infinite and sat and thought long and hard about everything that just happened, you'll come to respect Ken Levine and learn how much of a genious creativist he really is. When people from the future look back at games and ask are they an art form, the Bioshock series will be what they look at first. No other devs can match the art style, the detail to the environment and architecture and the rich story that Irrational games can do. I sill choose Bioshock 1 as the best in the series, but Infinite is worthy of any Bioshock fan. Expand
  36. Mar 31, 2013
    This game by far shows that solo only games are still alive and well. Art direction, voice acting, and plot are the biggest hits in this game. There were a few points that dropped my overall score for this one though.
    One in particular is the jump between difficulty levels. For a seasoned player like me, "hard" difficulty settings usually are a simple test of my skill, but not enough to
    take away from the game. However, the differences between "normal" and "hard" are so vast, absurd, and disproportionate, that "hard" becomes a true test of one's patience as you fight even canon fodder enemies with frustration. The Handymen become a feat of luck and little skill as it takes all of your ammo (to include the ammo drops from enemies and Elizabeth) and all of your "salts," the replacement for Adam for your powers. Another nit-pick that I have with the series as a whole is that the look controls have always been really clunky and unforgiving when fighting on the hard difficulty, but one that I overlooked when I made my review score.
    I'd like to point out that I thought that the first BioShock was a mediocre game that had only a few good selling points: atmosphere, voice acting, and art direction. The first installment into the franchise was filled with glitches, bad texture mapping, plot holes, a bad morality system, and really dumb AI. I didn't even put forth an effort into playing BioShock 2, as I knew (like many others) that it was basically playing on the fact that many people would have pre-ordered enough copies for it to not matter how bad the game really was.
    This game blew me away though. I found myself immersed in the game's art direction and scenery that there were many times where I had forgotten what I was doing. The plot is also superior to the first by a long shot. Infinite has a plot and sub-plot, each one feeding the other as you find yourself alone with Elizabeth, who is strongly voice acted and well animated. Elizabeth in particular reminds me of Belle from Beauty and the Beast, with grace and strength. The climax, plot-twists, and ending all made me connect with the characters, something that doesn't happen often.
    One thing that I saw though was that the sheer amount of money needed for upgrades on skills or weapons was absurdly high for how much you get. Even after searching every nook and cranny in the game, I still only had a couple of skills upgraded and only 2 weapons fully upgraded. The funny thing is that a lot of your gameplay is spent looking through objects that give little reward. You find yourself wondering, "what extra quest (which I did all of them) did I forget that would have given me enough money to get at least half of all the upgrades?"
    Final word: If you appreciate art direction, story, voice acting, and thought-provoking ideas placed within plot, then get the game. It is a game worth the $60 price tag, but not so much Game of the Year worthy.
  37. Apr 2, 2013
    The game is great. Except I would like a create your weapon feature and more vigors.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  38. Apr 1, 2013
    In reviewing this game, I find it so difficult not to mention the original Bioshock, as for me that is still one of the all time greats of this generation and possibly in my top 10 favourite games of all time. Infinite however raises the bar for me. I didn't necessarily think that while playing the game initially. Even though I was having a great time, playing some of the awesome gameplay mechanics, using the greatly varied Vigors and zipping around the Sky-line despatching enemies ever more efficiently. Something just wasn't quite there... Until those final 5 minutes of the ending and then everything fell into place, making all that came before so much more relevant and powerful. This is story telling at its very best and adding to what is one of the best times I've ever had playing a game. Although Bioshock Infinite shares its DNA with its predecessors, the original gameplay ideas, setting, visuals, fleshed out characters and incredible story telling, should be more than enough to make any comparisons redundant. Any self respecting gamer should play this game and all who do really do owe it to themselves to finish the story, as then and only then will you realise what a masterpiece you've been playing. Expand
  39. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, so-them what's played Bioshock (the first or second one) know that Sociopolitical themes and whatnot run throughout the game. Infinite is no different at all. Them what's NOT played Bioshock, this is a good one to cut your teeth on. Fact is, the gameplay is a bit easier (on the lower setting, anyway) than the first two installments, and the large open spaces (which are brightly lit) lend towards firefights going easier.

Now, the game itself-the story is a bit convoluted, and somewhat hard to follow, unless you're into that sort of thing to start with (pro-tip: I am). The characters are fairly well realized, even if Elizabeth's downgrade from the initial "Gameplay Demo" they released a couple years back takes away from her somewhat (there is no her calling up a twister, you hitting it with lightning, and the more you use her abilities, the weaker she gets-still, she's an amazing character).

The layout is very similar (as far as progression) to the original game-a big figure you're fighting against, and then at the halfway point-ish, things change a bit.

Yeah yeah, this review rambles-deal with it-first time ever really writing a game review.

The social aspects of it are amazing-really makes you think-I find the Vox Populi to be very much like the Occupy Protesters, while the Founders I find to be more like Westboro Baptist Church (not like the Tea Party or Conservatives or whathave you-keep in mind, I'm a "Randian," or to use the correct term, "Objectivist"), in their xenophobia and racism. However, you learn the Deep Dark Secrets of the VP, too. So don't get too attached and think they're all that righteous.

Now, as to the mechanics and whatnot... They're great. Very fluid controls, a Vigor is a Plasmid, just a different name, functions similar, all of that-the only gripe I have is the textures-but then again, I'm playing on an Xbox 360, so yeah.

Anyway, what I'm driving at is, this game is deep, thoughtful, and awesome.

Sure, the review is choppy, jumpy, and contrived-but then again... well, just play the game.
  40. Apr 1, 2013
    This is a really nice game. The series just keeps getting better. you have to get it.

NICE! I just Microsoft points for free from this site! :D freemspointsforever com
  41. Apr 2, 2013
    Bioshock infinite is definately the best of the series. It has its problems, namely that in some areas the graphics leave some to be desired as well as the fact that you can now only hold two weapons instead of having a wheel containing all of them and you can only get other weapons by finding them, whether it be on a body or in the environment. Half the vigors seem to just be a retool of the originals and the other half are either underwhelming or cost way too much to be used regularly. The vigors also only get two upgrades now, usually with only one of them actually changing the vigors effect. These sound like huge problems, yet you will notice i gave this game a 10. No, it was'nt a mistake. The fact is that all of these mistakes really do nothing to take away from the gameplay. The graphics are only really bad on the bushes and flowers(both of which look two dimensional) but the city, the people, the weapons, hell even the sky are all absolutely breathtaking, even after staring at them for hours. This goes doubly for elizabeth. Everytime i looked at her, i kept looking. some of my favorite parts of the game were when it was just the two of you in an elevator doing nothing but talking because watching her talk is absolutely amazing. No more bland models or characters that have one expression. Elizabeths expression actually changes depending on the mood, not only in the elevator where its obvious youd be watching, but in regular gameplay where you can look over and see her looking troubled or excited or angry. The guns at first seemed a big problem, but as i went on i realized that having the bioshock one and two wheel would'nt work, simply because ther are SO DAMN MANY GUNS. And not in a bad way either. i never felt that one gun was just a previous one in a different skin, and the variety enemies carry mean that its not hard to change guns. Whenever i wanted something different, it never took me too long to find it. As for the vigors, the Vigor wheel does return, but now instead of having one vigor and then bringing up the wheel to change it, you now have two tht you switch between, which can be changed at anytime(you may have bucking bronco and devils kiss attached, for example, and all you need to do to change that is switch so your using the vigor you want to change, bring up the wheel, and then select the one you want to replace it with). As for only having half of them usable, as i played further in the game i realized that was less a desighn flaw and more a result of my choice of gameplay style. And assuming that all of those problems were big, and did stay big throughout the whole playtrouygh, it would be worth the annoyance and hassle just for the story. Bioshock is known for its amazing, original story, but most of all for its big twist. Infinite has its own twist, or rather a series of twists, one after the other, but the thats not the entire reason you enjoy the story. Bioshock one had a good story, but its success really hinged on the revelation(realize im making a distinction between the lore of rapture which was and is amazing and the main story), whichout which, its story would'nt have been nearly as good. Infinite does not suffer from this. even if you took out the last chunk of the game with all the twists and put in an ending that was perfectly predictable with everyone living happily ever after, the story would have still been one of the best, in my opinion, of any modern game. Whith the twists though, infinite has a story that completely and utterly surpases bioshock one and damn near anything and everything that has come since, or before. To sum it up: its a kickass shooter where you can throw balls of flame from your hand while flying around a floating city on a suspended rail shooting a motorized george washington who is shooting a hand cranked mini gun at you as you uncover a story that will leave you either discussing it for days, mad from paradoxs, or in the morgue from massive cranial hemoorhaging due to a cranial implosion. Expand
  42. Apr 3, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite has been on my radar ever since it was announced. Now that it's out I can now say, it's one of the best I've ever played along with the first Bioshock and The Mass Effect series. It adds so much diversity in the gameplay and the story is incredibly intriguing. Once I finished the game, I wanted to play it again. And you will want to too.
  43. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is INCREDIBLE loved the campaign the combat was cool because it was different the ending was confusing but its really cool game worth the money.
    pros
    change in combat cool plasmids challenging achievements
    cons ending can be confusing no multiplayer (don't really care)
  44. Apr 2, 2013
    This game represents a transformation of the entire video game genre. I have played many fantastic video games in my life but this game is by far the greatest video game in history. This game seamlessly blends combat, haunting poetic meditation, gut-wrenching story, and themes that have been prevalent in society since the beginning of time into a whole. This game demands more from the player than what the average video game does. Ken levine has proved yet again that his two bioshock games can only exist in the video game world. He has pushed the boundaries on what is possible in a video game to the maximum possible degree and transformed video games into poetic haunting works of art. The game also contains the most mind-numbing story and final sequences I have experienced in a video game which culminate into a twist I dont think the video game world or anyone for that matter will ever forget. I had full faith in ken levine and in this game before it came out, yet I did not dare dream that the game would turn out this good. It almost seems impossible that a video game can be this good. This game represents a landmark which will forever change the face of the video game industry because it makes you truly feel and ponder things long after you have finished playing the game. When you finish the game you will want to play it again IMMEDIATELY(I have played it twice). Calling this game the best video game in history is a huge claim and ask. My favorite game of all time up to this point before I played infinite was the legend of zelda ocarina of time. When considering infinites standing in the video game pantheon you must remember one thing: All video games no matter how good they are up to this point are simply at the end of the day just video games. Bioshock Infinite is not a video game. At some point in the game it transforms into something MUCH MUCH more. I wholeheartedly believe that this game is a true work of art which can easily rival Michelangelos sistine chapel and Leonardo Da Vincis Mona lisa. It is a game that will be scrutinized, broken down, and debated for a very very long time. Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt. At the end of the game you will never forget those words. I have never written a video game review in my entire life but I loved this game so much i felt compelled to write one. That should show you how much this game can impact someones perception of video games. Would You kindly play Bioshock infinite? Expand
  45. May 27, 2013
    S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X S-U-X Expand
  46. Apr 4, 2013
    BioShock. If you’ve played the series, you know the feeling you get when you hear the name.

We all grew to love the underwater city of Rapture, splicers, little sisters and big daddys through the first two parts of this epic series. With Infinite, we are given a completely new setting and story.

BioShock Infinite is set in 1912 during the growth of American exceptionalism, the game’s
    protagonist, former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, is sent to the floating air-city of Columbia to find a young woman, Elizabeth, who has been held captive there for most of her life.

You are pursued by the city’s warring factions; the nativist and elite Founders that strive to keep the city for pure Americans, and the Vox Populi, a rebel grouping representing the common people. There is quite a hint of racism in this imaginary place they call Columbia. The way they handled religion, certain beliefs and old school values couldn’t have been handled in a better way.

This game is totally in the running for Game of the Year. It takes a lot in a game to make me feel the way Infinite did upon completion. I was sad to see it end, but glad to find out the ending and have everything make sense.

You’ll be scratching your head for a while when this one ends, but don’t worry. Let it stew for a little bit and it’ll finally click.

A quote from our community talking about possible titles for Game of the Year:

“Do those games let you speed around on air rails while jumping off to execute somebody after you possessed a giant mechanical George Washington looking mother F’r wielding a chain gun and mowing down enemies that you stunned with a murder of crows?”

‘Nuff said.
  47. Apr 4, 2013
    Amazing game, on console sometime it can be foggy, but its due to the huge environments. It doesnt take away from game though, such a unique setting, you want to just take your time and actually stop and look at your surroundings. Love the skyhook too, like a rollercoatser with a gun. GOTY candidate.
  48. Apr 12, 2013
    Graphics are not very good and the game play is weak. Overall, I feel this game is nothing but a hyped-up first person shooter sprinkled with some semi- interesting special abilities.
  49. Apr 5, 2013
    General Fanboy Distaste
    Bioshock Infinite is a good game in and of itself. But sadly is has nothing in common with the Bioshock series/franchise, except for a single cutscene. 2K could have independently released this game with a different and cut out that singular cutscene. But it seems they rather use a already thriving name to produce greater sales. I honestly do love the other two
    in the series though but this one seemed like a cash in.

There are no horror aspects, creepy at the slightest, and definitely no "survival" aspects like the others in the series. Ammo and Health items are thrown at you like a Lays Truck that left its hatch open. Just loads and loads of crap flying at you down the freeway. The enemies pose little to no challenge at all, save for the Mechanical Patriots and Handymen. But those enemies are just as easily handled once you get a Usage Deduction Upgrade on your Possession Vigor.

Oh and yes the Vigors a half arsed drunken wink from across the bar. The Vigors are a rehash of your old favorite Bioshock Plasmids, but they couldn't be bothered to name them what they are.

Gameplay
    There are quite a few guns, all fill their own little niche. But you can only carry two at any given time! Here is a tip, if you don't care about achievements or trophies then only carry the Carbine and the Volley Gun. Everything else is equally balanced. Other than this small problem the gameplay is fine.

Vigors are powerful and all equally useful. I found my self only stagnant on one Vigor, Possession. This Vigor allows you to possess machines (and later people), making them give you money or fight for you. But this took out the need for hacking, so no mini game for hacking (which I didn't notice until just now).

Story And Characters
    The characters are attractive and appealing. Booker has such a tortured past as well as Elizabeth. I can't help but love them. And when I was playing I constantly found myself saying, "I hope neither them die, they're so likeable". And that is what is the biggest problem for me in games, finding a character I "want" to keep alive.

There is so much story going on at one point my mind wanted to explode. But once I figured it out (through the help of recordings) I loved it. But sadly the story is mystery like and once you know the twist it makes any subsequent playthroughs equivalent to spamming buttons to skip cutscenes. The only fathomable reason I can imagine playing this again is to entertain friends who aren't good at shooters or don't like playing video games.

Graphics
    The graphics are beautiful, and the art style of some choice enemies are very Bioshock. Everything is bright and colorful, its like I tripped face first and got a Kaleidoscope lodged in my eye. The graphics of the large scale points of interest are beautiful and detailed to great extent.

But alot of the smaller things that you see more frequently were ignored to make big objects look better. Such as roses on a bush, if you walk past one you can see edges and the backside, they're 2D and flat. Like I cut them out myself and pasted them to the bush!

Sound
    I never noticed much out of the ordinary. Nothing annoying, other than Songbird's screeching. The voice acting is top notch. I stop everything I'm doing when the characters are talking, so I can give them my undivided attention. Booker De Witt is got the best possible voice actor for him, I can't imagine a single other person who could do better. And the same goes for the rest of the cast.

Controversy
    This game is RASCIST, but it can't help it, its 1912 kid. The game's setting is in a alternate 1912, on a floating city called Columbia. The man in charge hated Abraham Lincoln and his emancipation. The people of Columbia even worship John Wilkes Booth to some extent, for killing President Lincoln. So of course Black Men, Women, and Children are still slaves or at the least hard laborers with little pay. So if you have a weak stomach for words like "Colored" and other stereotypes you might want to avoid playing. (Note: Its not just blacks that are portrayed negatively, Jews, Chinese, Native Americans, Mexicans, Irish, and anyone who isn't American Caucasian.)

Overall Opinion
    Despite the negativity, Infinite (I refuse to call it Bioshock), is a pretty good game. Another great in a genre that is beginning to run dry (Single Player Games). But if it wasn't for the numerous raving reviews I wouldn't have bought it at full price.
  50. Apr 5, 2013
    This game in one word: Unbelieveable!! From my ascension into Columbia to the epic final battle at the end, this game had me gripped. I played the game in 2-3 hour sessions as i didnt want to spoil it and get to the end too quickly. The music along with the overall story made my hair stand on end at certain points. Upon my completion of the game i was left thirsty for more and immediately started the story again. This game is a must buy, trust me you wont be disappointed. Expand
  51. Apr 11, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the most anticipated games in recent memory. With its sky bound setting, revolutionary ai and the legacy with the origianal bioshock, it's sure to be one of the most compelling games to play this generation. Don't worry it is!

The story follows a troubled Pinkerton named Booker DeWitt, who must travel to the floating city of Columbia to repay a debt. The only
    way to repay this debt is to rescue a girl named Elizabeth. From rescuing her, from the tower, the journey to reach Bookers and Elizabeth's final desired destination takes along time and many turns along the way! The story is incredible, at one moment the story reaches its peak with a hidden easter egg! Another reason the story is so good is because of Elizabeth. When you are accompanied by Elizabeth you care about her and more importantly what combat advantages she gives you. At the end of the whole story you will sit back and admire what a well crafted plot this is, and appreciate that you will probably have to wait a long time to play a story like this again.

With all the hype on the story, the combat can get over looked. Many people assume that it's easy to have a precise and fun combat system, however Bioshock Infinite has all of these and more. What makes bioshock unique is the vigors! Throughout the game you collect a maximum of 8, which all assist you in combat. When using these my favoured vigors were the death of crows, and possession (these helped the most). Although the vigors are a big part of the combat system Bioshock Infinite is a FPS, so it's good to know that each of the 8 guns feel very precise and unique. The only disappointment in the combat would be he fact that you can only carry two guns at one time. This limits the variety in combat and is frustraiting when you are in need of a gun you dropped earlier. The best gun (I feel) in the game is the shotgun, it dispatches enemies the quickest and also gives you the best experience. Another addition to Infinate is the skyline. The skyline is a transportation method, which not only gets you from a to b, but assists you in combat. It's amazing to be flying round on the skyline, then jump down on a un expecting enemy to ram the skyhook in his face.

The floating city of colmbia is a unique place to set a video game, with stunning graphics and incredible detail. The first hour of the game is spent walking around listening convosations and playing mini games in the fair. This is probably the best level in the whole game! The textures can feel bad at times on the consoles, but this is not a problem on the pc. If the floating city and the superb combat wasn't enough to make a great game, then the voxophones are are. Voxophones are collectibles which add backstory to the game and also make the levels and enemies feel more meaningful when you know what there doing and why there doing it. For example comstock, we know early on that he's racist because of the voxophones. Eighty of them are scattered throughout the game!

The world of bioshock infinite is amazing. With a brilliant plot, superb characters (especially Elizabeth) and one of the best imaginitve worlds ever created; Bioshock infinite shouldn't be missed by anyone! The only issue I have is that you can't carry more than two guns at one time, however that's a small complaint. Bioshock Infinite is amazing, pick it up now, you won't be disappointed.

Story 10
    Gameplay 9
    Setting 10
    Score 10
  52. Apr 5, 2013
    I like this game. You can shoot stuff and use these things called vigors to really mess up your enemies. But the best part about this game? Elizabeth. She may not make you a sandwich, but she'll give you things depending on the situation. She may toss you health, mana, coins or more ammo. She's awesome!
  53. Apr 5, 2013
    This is the future of gaming as a respect for of entertainment and as art. I have never been sucked into a game like I was for this game. Truly a masterpiece.
  54. Apr 6, 2013
    Firstly, for all those who rated this game a 10, I'm glad if you actually enjoyed it, but come on, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption are 10's, rating this game a 10 makes mockery of ratings at all.

That said, this game was 'Infinitely' better than the original in this series; which in my opinion was 1 of the 2 most over-rated games in history (Dark Souls being the other).

Pros:

Atmosphere is 1rst-rate; a trait it shared with the original Bioshock; score, sound and design are top notch and help try to draw the player into the world.
    Story is good...not great, but certainly above average.
    Gameplay is vastly improved from the original. The ability to fight from distance was appreciated.
    AI was well done...again, not nearly as great as say ME, but solid.

Cons:
    Storyline is VERY linear and the world is VERY small. This is in no sense of the word an epic game.
    Much (most) of the game is spent searching through every piiece of furniture for coins and fruit...its ridiculous.
    2 weapons and no inventory....enough said.
    There is no element of choice that matters....you cannot veer from the story...which of the guns or powers you use is irrelevant as they're all basically the same.

I could understand an objective user rating this game anywhere between 4 and 7...anything higher or lower says more about the rater than the game.
  55. Apr 6, 2013
    BioShock Infinite delivers great gameplay with a wide variety of different playing styles, although I only ended up using only 1 or 2 vigors throughout the whole of the game
    The story line was awful with a very gineric plot and most of the time found myself extremely bored throughout most of the game.

Overall, even though the plot itself was very bad, the gameplay makes up for it...
  56. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is utterly boring, the only upside is the voice acting.
    It's just the same 7 different enemies and the same environment all the time, people rating this a 10 have never played anything else but Tetris.
  57. Apr 7, 2013
    (If its too long for your taste, I round it all up it the last paragraph, use ctrl+f and type ~~)

~Lets clear something up right off the bat, what will make this game either a 8 or a 10 for you is your ability to follow complex ideas, because to truly enjoy the story at its fullest, you can not be lacking in brain power. That being said, we can talk about the game play, which is pretty
    darn near flawless. The shooting and Vigor's work much like they did in Bioshock 2, though obviously the gun load-out is more robust and aiming down sights has been added, and there are less vigors than there were plasmids. Switching between weapons and vigors is a breeze, as long as you don't begin button mashing. You've also been given a regenerative shield, like the one in Halo: CE (separate from health, which goes down when your shield is down) and this allows for much more active combat and more combatants at once. The one thing I will knock the game play for though is the Auto save feature, which replaces straight up saves, like the ones seen in the original Bioshock. That though alone is not enough to ruin anyone's experience, unless they have anger issues and cant play 2 minutes back from where they left off, if they shut off before they earned another one.
    ~Then You have the atmosphere, which completely captures the feel of the American society during the beginning of the Progressive era. If I were to sit here and list them all in paragraph form, it'd be quite a novella. Anyone who has ever taken AP US History, or just knows there American history, will pick up on this. Trust me, they got it right. Columbia's bright atmosphere on the outside evolves perfectly with the story, and the floating city's turn of the century charm is a refreshing for the recently generic modern warfare settings we've had in shooters recently. (not to knock those games, the story mode is not the main focus of those games anyways) Elizabeth is the best sidekick I've had in a game, she talks to Booker constantly (while not being annoying) provides supplies, and does other useful things. (trying to keep this spoiler free) I actually cared about her, and it actually effected decisions I made in a game. The atmosphere actually blew my expectations out of the water, which was not a small feat by any means.
    ~Finally to touch on the story, which like I said is very complex at points, mostly as you reach the end. I applaud Ken Levine for his creativity. I will say in the last five to seven minutes while playing, my jaw was just hanging loose in absolute awe. Nothing short of excellence. Also just like in the last two installment, back-story is provided through recordings by characters, (Voxaphones in Infinite, Audio-logs in Bioshock 1 and 2 And one must hunt them down throughout the story. They can be either easy to locate, or stashed away in a hiding spot. Finding these help one to understand the story much better, and should not be skipped (you can miss a few if you don't feel like searching forever) unless one wants a less than satisfactory experience. You don't have to find them all, but finding at least 2/3's of them should be enough for anyone who is impatient, but wants to experience the game as it was meant to be.

~~Bioshock Infinite is smart, action packed, (while not being way too over the top) and overall a thrilling and enthralling experience. Its atmosphere is without flaw and is also refreshing. Its story is intellectual and just overall one of the most solid ones in recent memory, though if one can't understand some of the concepts it detracts a bit from the experience. (this game can make a smarter than average person feel dumb at points). Then you have the overall game-play, which has been slightly improved from both Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Fans of the previous two games, will love Infinite, though its still a great starting point if you haven't played any of the past games. This game, while some may disagree, shows exactly what a Mature 10 games is, intellectual and thought provoking while still entertaining and a blast to play.
  58. Apr 7, 2013
    I was excited for Infinite because we were back with Irrational Games and Levine. I expected an experience something like the original Bioshock. I really liked Bioshock. But Bioshock Infinite felt much more like Bioshock 2, which was a cynical money grab with no merit.

Gameplay? It's Ratchet and Clank without the fun. But that's not what we're here for.

We're here for the story. And
    the story is DUMB. Just plain dumb. Offensively so. I don't think I was supposed to laugh at the ending, but I did. The same way I laughed at plan 9 from outer space. This was not the experience I was hoping for. Expand
  59. Apr 8, 2013
    Amazing Graphics, Game play, etc. but the thing that sold me about this game is that it touches religion and
    politics, also racial diversity and it is ironic how heaven can be so evil.
  60. Apr 8, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is an incredible game. Ken Levine and Irrational studios have really created something special. I have beaten it twice and going through my 3rd play through on 1999 mode, haven't started quite yet. I would highly recommend this game to fans who enjoy an engaging story. The story really drives this game. In terms of gameplay it is again very well done. People are going to play differently which makes this game unique. Plenty of guns and vigors to switch up your gameplay for a ton of variation. If you are a Bioshock fan, or a fan of FPS in general do yourself a favour and get this game. Expand
  61. Apr 8, 2013
    Bioshock infinite what is there to say about it... well there is a lot of things to say about this game, but i will just tell you about a few of the many many things about it. First off i want to say that the game is amazing i loved playing it, i do not have many bad things to say but i just about one thing bad about it its that nobody of the enemies in the game seems to care about Elizabeth at all, sometimes she can be right in front of them and the still care about me more then her. But over to the good things, the gameplay is awesome i loved to go around levels with the sky hook and the guns and and vigors was fun and entertaining to use. The story is the best one during the past few years, it is a rich and good story that everyone should pay much attention too. I really think that this game is a MUST HAVE for everyone who is just a little bit into FPS games and if you are not this is really a good start. Thank you for reading my review of Bioshock infinite Expand
  62. Apr 8, 2013
    I grade games in five categories, each with a possible score from 0-2. At the end I will tally up the scores for the final verdict.

Graphics:
    There really isn't much too say here. You could watch the game for 5 minutes and know that it is easily one the best looking games out there. The characters, the settings, it all looks amazing, and still has the BioShock charm that we all know
    and love. I found myself loving this setting even better than the previous two mainly because of how bright and colorful Colombia is. It makes you wish that Columbia were real...without all the corruption of course. Score: 2/2

Sound:
    This is another aspect that BioShock Infinite nailed. The music is fantastic and again fits the BioShock world perfectly. Then there are the sounds around you as you play (guns firing, skyline swinging, explosions, etc.) It all sounds amazing, but where BioShock really nails it is the voice acting. Never did any of the characters voices not "fit" them. I was amazed and greatly thrilled as I was never taken away from the story and experience and was allowed to listen and enjoy the story with no awkwardness. Courtnee Draper (Elizabeth), Troy Baker (Booker DeWitt), and Kiff VandenHeuvel (Comstock) should get special praise. They are amazing, and it is some of the best voice acting I have heard in a while. Score: 2/2

Gameplay:
    The gameplay in this game is much like the pervious games although your plasmids are now called vigors and eve is now called salts. As a first person shooter (fps) I find that they did a great job and it is extremely fun. In my opinion it is as good as any shooter I have played. The controls are great, and I also loved the new edition of the skyline. The enemies are not only challenging but at times can be funny. Now even though I loved playing the game and BioShock did a lot of things right in the gameplay department I also had some problems with it. One being the vigors. You could take the vigors out of the game and never miss a beat. Vigors never once felt important to what I was doing and found myself at times forgetting I had them and not even using them and this was on Hard. I will end on a good note though and that is Elizabeth. Not once and I mean once did Elizabeth get in my way. I never had to take care of Elizabeth, she was the one taking care of me. In the game Elizabeth will hand you equipment during a fight. Don't worry she doesn't do it all the time and at times she doesn't do at all. I remember running up to her at times screaming at the t.v. for health or ammo and this was a fantastic tense game mechanic. I never knew if Elizabeth was out of equipment or if she had one last magazine of ammo to give me. Elizabeth also helps by "tearing" objects from other realities into yours to help you, and this is just genius. You will think so too when you tell her to "tear" a box of health packs during a huge fight. I choose to take .5 away from the score because plasmids/vigors are so much a part of the BioShock experience and I found it strange that they weren't more important to the gameplay. Score: 1.5/2

Story:
    This is what games should be doing today: taking risks. The story can be complex but it is not impossible to understand as long as you are paying attention to the conversations. I loved that it was a story that you needed to pay attention too. It is a story that demands and deserves your attention. I found myself falling in love with Booker and Elizabeth's relationship and could not stop playing to find out what happened next. I wont give any details of the story away because this story is truly magical and something that should be experienced and remembered. I do have some nitpicks though. The progression of the story slowed down quite a bit in the middle. I was gonna deduct a half a point but that would be nitpicking especially since it was necessary to understand later plot points. Now you all know it isn't BioShock without a twist but my problem was I found out the twist way before the ending. I don't know if this was luck or me just listing to every tape recorder and picking up on the clues but either way I won't deduct a point because although I ended up being right, I didn't know I was right until the end. Score: 2/2

Game Replay:
    I found myself immediately replaying the game after I was done. You will have a whole new perspective of the game after learning all the twists and secrets and it only makes the story even better. On top of that the game is a blast, and 1999 mode is a must for all hardcore fps fans. Of course you have achievements and what not but the story and gameplay is what keeps you coming back. Score: 2/2

Overall: 9.5/10
    I know that it will only show up as a nine but my true score is a 9.5. This is a game everybody should experience. It's beautiful, intelligent, and brave. You can't ask much more from a game, and as I said before this is game that deserves your full attention.
  63. Apr 8, 2013
    If you rated this game anything other than something in the green, you're either an idiot, or played the wrong game. This is by FAR one of the finest examples of gaming and storytelling I've ever seen in my life. Want multiplayer? Forget it. This isn't CoD, children. Don't like the story? You didn't understand it.

Jesus, this game was amazing. This is something to play again and again.
    What a way to leave this generation of gaming, highest note you can imagine.

It's impossible to bash this game. Anyone who does is wrong and a liar with no taste in gaming, PERIOD.
  64. Apr 9, 2013
    This is one of the most ambitious and compelling games I have ever played. The nature and complexity of the plot won't be to everyone's taste as the story begins by tackling subjects including on racism, slavery and religious fundamentalism and ends by trying to melt your brain out of your ears, but it really is a joy to play through.

The floating city of Columbia is beautifully
    designed and it's busy streets and hidden corners make it both fun to explore and a welcome change to the catastrophic aftermath of Rapture from the original Bioshock. Combat plays similarly to Bioshock 2 with the familiar mix of vigors (formerly plasmids) and firearms of various size. While combat might not be as slick as a hardcore FPS it's still a lot of fun, although you might want to look to the harder difficulties if you want to be really challenged on that front.

The real star of the show though is your (nearly) constant companion, Elizabeth. Usually, an AI controlled NPC is little more than a running commentary with a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the AI behind Elizabeth is pretty much on the money. In combat, she helps by providing ammo and health, but I found the parts outside of combat the real revelation. While exploring Colombia, Elizabeth will mill about interacting and commenting on your surroundings. The conversations she shares with your character add real context to the story and make her character all the more engaging.

I don't want to go into any more detail than I already have as the little discoveries you make along the way are a big part of what makes this game so great. Suffice to say that aside from a few glitches and a slight loss of pace in the middle third this is a terrific game and I absolutely recommend you go play it now.
  65. Apr 12, 2013
    BioShock: Infinite exceeds previously high standards. It is a breath-tacking experience that pulls the player in and never releases you. Connections to not only Elizabeth are made that will make other NPCs seem just as important at times. The vibrant world of Columbia is absolutely astonishing and flowing with the perfect amount of color for each setting you're dwelled into. The mind-boggling story is basic to grasp onto but, requires some effort to understand. This does not take away from the game. If anything it adds to it giving it a very high replay value.

The game is near perfection. The only complaint that be made are the graphics. No, not visuals. The game is not supposed to look realistic, or even supposed to be compared to modern day shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty. On Xbox 360, and even on PS3, the graphics have been downgraded to fit the performance of 7 year hardware. At times it can really take away from the immersion when you are basking in the glorious scenery and the frame rate staggers due to the complexity of it's design.

This is a wonderful game and not one to missed. Games so fresh rarely come to surface. This is one you won't want to miss.
  66. Apr 14, 2013
    This is an absolutely gorgeous game even on the aging console. Entering Columbia will absolutely take your breath away. Once you peel off the shiny exterior of the city, you find a beautifully-crafted game with good mechanics. The vigors each have their own purpose, thought i doubt that you will be using many them and will most likely use three or four. The weapons look pretty but some feel underpowered. Elizabeth is an absolute wonder. Her AI is brilliant, she will toss you health and salts and ammo when you need it most. Her story is well fleshed outTears and Skylines are a brilliant addition to the game which brings out more options for combat in the game. The story is absolutely astounding. It is interesting well paced and makes you want to keep playing until you understand it completely, and when you do, oh boy is it worth it. Overall Bioshock Infinite is a brilliant game with a wonderful story, excellent graphics. But an average gunplay system prevents this game from getting a higher scores. This game is a must own for gamers looking for a game with a brilliant story and solid gameplay Expand
  67. Apr 14, 2013
    This Game. WOW!!!! What else is there to say. I have not played a game with a story this good, ever. I will say that it is probably not for everyone but I have yet to find someone that hated this game. I say play it. It is a breath of fresh air in an over saturated market of mediocre triple A games. Also there is no reason that you have to play the first two to be able to pick this game up. The story is only slightly connected. It's really more of a throwback for the players that have played Bioshock before. Anyways, I liked it, and you should play it!!! Do It!!!! Expand
  68. Jul 3, 2013
    When I first started playing I loved the direction and the setting, a city in the sky with all these features for your character to inhabit like magic and a melee weapon. But as I kept on playing the game started to suffer from repetitive action and events and lost interest in the game all together, even so there is cool breathtaking moments throughout, but forgettable.
  69. Apr 15, 2013
    Story- 11/10 Gameplay- 10/10 AI (Elizabeth)- 10/10 Graphics- 10/10 Music- 11/10 Simply put, buy this game. Actually, let me correct myself. Buy this MASTERPIECE! The last game I played that was this good was actually the original Bioshock and if you're expecting another "Would You KIndly?" twist, trust me, it's here. Just go buy it now and play the damn game. If you don't you'll miss out on a once in a generation experience. Ken Levine you are the man! Expand
  70. Apr 15, 2013
    Irrational Games is back in it, and boy did it deliver. This game is getting rave reviews, and is easily a contender for GOTY. It is the most sold game during the week of its release on the Xbox 360 and the PC, and is number 2 on the PS3, and when I got my hands on it, I couldn't put it down.

In my review of Bioshock, I noted that I loved it for its ability to make me think and keep me
    on the edge of my seat thanks to its gameplay. The gameplay of Bioshock is complimented everything else. That gameplay type is most certainly NOT here. Although certain elements like Plasmids (now vigors) and upgradable weapons are still a major gameplay element, that feel of being alone and outnumber has been severed. The genre has changed from the first game and is simply now a shooter. In my review of Bioshock 2, I stated that it had the same difference, and that it was a real problem. This time, it isn't at all.

This time around, the story is what is complimented by everything else. Severing that feeling of being alone and scared to walk around the next corner was a genius difference, because it made way for Elizabeth. Elizabeth switched what Bioshock 1 had. Instead of having a 9/10 story and a 10/10 gameplay, Bioshock Infinite has a 10/10 story and a 9/10 gameplay.
  71. Apr 15, 2013
    I made an account for this website because of this game. Anyone who dislikes this game (I'm not sorry to say) is an idiot. Bioshock 1 was one of my favorite games ever and now Bioshock Infinite has been added to that list. This is the first game that has ever felt like a book to me; that's the best way I can describe this game.
  72. Apr 15, 2013
    Ken Levine proof that is one of the best developers in the last years, BioShock Infinite is a masterpiece in every way. He fails to beat the first of the series But, who cares when is so good?
  73. Apr 16, 2013
    Definetly worth the money if you are a Bioshock fan. I really cannot find anything that is wrong with this game, and the game play is radical. This is a "must buy" for a Bioshock fan
  74. Apr 16, 2013
    Such an immersing story that has you realizing that you aren't really Dewitt yourself. Amazingly smooth game play, the only thing that I have against this is that I wish the campaign was longer, left needing more.
  75. Apr 17, 2013
    Empezando a jugarlo, hasta el momento es un juego muy bello e imaginativo, pero siento ke le falta mucho de lo siniestro de las anteriores entregas, parece por momentos a nivel shooter una especie de bulletstorm clone, y el eve se gasta de boleto sobre todo al princiopio del juego, flojera de ke haya poco dinero y todo caro... la solución? Ponte a revisar hasta el último cajón de los muebles de este enorme mundo por unas moneditas, este juego le perdono todo esto por ser parte de una de las sagas mas legendarias en el mundo de los juegos aparte de la estupenda dirección artistica que se trae. Expand
  76. Apr 18, 2013
    Wonderful setting and world detail. ~ Creative and enjoyable story. ~ Elizabeth is a NPC that adds to the overall experience and she's useful to boot. ~ Mediocre game play(I'm being nice). ~ lack of weapons(variation). ~ very little character customization and advancement. The immersive world off BioShock Infinite is awesome. The games unsatisfactory gameplay and subpar mechanics are a real stinker. I really want to like this game but just cant. Expand
  77. Apr 18, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite: The game of our generation. Well, at least according to many game journalists and people. Is that a valid statement? Not entirely.
    The graphics of this game are just stunning. I spend around 20 minutes in the first hour of the game just sight seeing and absorbing everything I saw. And I'm talking about the Xbox version here, not even the PC one. If you can play it on
    PC, then just do it: You won't regret it. The soundtrack is just kick ass: It all just fits the mood perfectly. I just can't get enough of it. All in all, when it comes to esthetics, it's brilliant.
    Then we have the story and without spoiling anything: It's just something you have to experience yourself. And that ending alone just sells it. Irrationnal Games did a great job here, because it really takes some confidence bringing out this game the way it is. Respect.
    Lastly, the gameplay. It's a blast to go through it. However, it's not all gold that shines: It can feel a bit repetitve, because there aren't that many different strategies you can use in the game. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, and it's completely subjective, but still: It's there, and I can't deny it. I don't see that much of a problem in it, but maybe you will. There also isn't a large variety of enemies, but the previous Bioshocks didn't have that either. It's something that has been in the series for a while, but you still can't really excuse the developers for that if it breaks up the game. And I'm glad it didn't.
    So is Bioshock Infinite the game of our generation? Storywise, yes. Complete package, no. Does that mean you shouldn't buy it? No, quite the contrary in fact. If I have to say one thing about this game: Get it now and experience it for yourself. It's something you won't forget in a long time. It's that good. It truly deserves the 9/10.
  78. Apr 18, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is one of the best games I have ever played. The graphics are great, the game only lasted me about a week though but no matter what it was definitely worth the money. The game is VERY complicated near the end. The things you have to fight are really odd but amazing. I would strongly recommend this game to anyone. especially if you like FPS games.
  79. Rem
    Apr 21, 2013
    This game is a perfect example of what games should strive to be. Minor technical issues aside, the pacing was great, combat is as fun as ever, and the story is fantastic. Speaking of story, no other games rivals it in terms of ambition. The floating of city of Columbia is perfect example of architecture, and the art pops. The main character Booker, is more than a standard gruff dark history hero. His interactions with the young and beautiful Elizabeth paints an astounding chemistry of a father-daughter relationship. Finally the ending, the ending in short was not what I wanted. Does that it mean it was bad? No, it means that it was perfect in its complexity and design and the final scenes it has to offer got me rushing straight to the forums. Games like that are few and far between, but this one does it better. Overall, Bioshock Infinite is the game I wanted and a true successor to the original Bioshock and in some ways, may surpass it. Irrational Games have always created the most cherished and most ambitious games in history. Like their awesome games, Will the Circle Be Unbroken? Hopefully not. Expand
  80. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed Bioshock 1 & 2, and rate amongst them the greatest games ever made, so for Infinite was really a no-brainer.

The aspect of Bioshock I enjoyed the most was that it was based on Objectivism, which was a very interesting twist for a game, Infinite is based on the ideas of American Exceptionalism and labour unrest in the early 1900s... or so I thought!

This game is to big to review, and introduces multiverse quantum physics and parallel worlds and outcomes very cleverly. The ending is hard to swallow and is definitely a jaw dropping moment. The link to Bioshock is also cleverly and subtly executed.

In terms of gunplay, its not call of duty, and like in Bioshock 1, once you get to a certain character level you can dispose of foes relatively easily. The audio is also somewhat buggy at times but all of this is overlooked in the face of a monumental game, no not a game an idea.

I really enjoyed this game and honestly I believe it deserves 10 stars as it is one of the most ambitious games I have ever played!
  81. Apr 22, 2013
    Odd as it seems and no offense to the devs, but I really wanted this to be a Bethesda game. As good a little bit absurd the story and characters were, the designers presented me with a fantastic and interesting world but constrained me to one of the more linear and repetitive games I have played. I've heard it's better on the pc but combat felt jerky at times and the enemies repetitive. That said I enjoyed the guns at first and the magic (vigors) a lot. The story was just so slow and convoluted that the revelation at the end left me uncaring. Good game overall, not worth the hype or the replay. Expand
  82. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The original BioShock was an utterly unforgettable experience. This game, however, doesn't reach that point, nor does it come anywhere close to it. You see, what made the original BioShock a masterpiece is that it created a truly interesting and original work of fiction. Infinite, on the other hand, just reworks pieces of the 2009 star trek film along with elements of Dr Who and season one of fringe, as well as an non-existent back story, an underdeveloped setting, poorly integrated/inconsistent elements (vigors, Comstock's motivation's, etc etc) and uninteresting characters. Elizabeth is loveable, but loveable and interesting are not one in the same. Only three things about BioShock Infinite are improved from the first BioShock, the shooting mechanics, better ending, and a more personalized (but still more generic) story. The political themes also aren't as well developed either, with the extent of their development being that they are mentioned in the first place. Comstock is probably the biggest disappointment with the extent of his development being that he is a racist, moronic, bad guy with non-nonsensical motivations. Expand
  83. Apr 24, 2013
    An Outstanding Game, perfect for any newcomer to the series. The sounds are incredible, AI Brilliant. This is easily the contender for Game Of The Year.

Cant Wait for the DLC!
  84. Apr 26, 2013
    The game overall is great it had a amazing story but the game play was average. The game should have let players carry more then one gun to increase the options you can choose from. But instead with 2 guns I would end up choosing the guns the did the most damage instead of experimenting with other guns. It was also annoying how you could complete the game by using the same vigor's. They should have made it so some enemies were weak against certain vigor. Though I really enjoyed the art style of the game but the graphics weren't to appealing in my opinion. Expand
  85. Apr 24, 2013
    Overrated, it's like walking through a living history museum, you try to make the best of a bad situation, because you never wanted to go in the first place, then you get dragged off to go look at something your friend finds fascinating, which you don't. Not a bad experience, but not 10 quality.
  86. Apr 24, 2013
    Positives: Brilliant story with many plot twists Fairly good graphics for a 7 year old system (the Xbox 360) Fast combat pace will keep you on edge Great working mechanics Negatives: Some frame rate and pop in issues that hurt the eyes Small amount of end twists left UN answered (not sure if prequel/sequel baitiing but still) No real replay ability as the things you see cannot be unseen

If you haven't played the other Bioshock games you will still love this game as it doesn't really touch on anything from the previous installments but if you have played the other games in the franchise, don't go into Infinite expecting the same things, be warned Columbia offers many new and different experiences and i'm sure you'll enjoy it either way

87. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is great, a real contender for GOTY, the story, Elizabeth and all of that awesome. But combat? It´s fun when there is skyline involved but some enemies and how they are combined... that´s pretty crazy, especially on 1999 mode.
    Definitely not a 10 for me, that would mean it´s perfect in every way, sadly the combat is only thing I don´t like on this game.
  88. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the original bioshock games, thinking i wasnt going to like this one im glad to have been proven wrong. Its simply a stunning looking game with a decent story. It has everything to love from the first two games and more! and the ending takes you back to rapture for a short while which i thought was a real nice way to give fans that feeling of being home. I know most fans when they say it said "WOW its Rapture" i know i did. Hoping for another bioshock adventure! Expand
  89. Apr 26, 2013
    A good challenge, yet I would prefer they kept the old setup where you could have many many weapons instead of just two. The restriction makes it a little bit harder, and removes the fun of finding and improving your favorite weapons instead of relying on what ever is in there.
  90. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is just amazing simple as that with great graphics and gameplay this has a great story and I think the ending is satisfying the game is just simply amazing
  91. Apr 27, 2013
    I love the Bioshock series and Bioshock Infinite is a great game that contains a great story but what it lacks is the multiple endings that could be obtained by doing something differently in the game like in Bioshock 2. It also would have been nice if they had included the multiplayer side of things as well that way we could see a variety of game modes played on maps that consist of ground and rails. Expand
  92. Apr 27, 2013
    I have had the best gaming expierience playing this game. The story is deep and well built, atmosphere in a racial community is also top notch. As for gameplay mechanics, there is nothing very special, same thing with Vigors(powers) in Bioshock, these are not very useful i ended up not using them throughout the game. Overall, Bioshock: Infinite is a great game with a great story(probably the best story in gaming history, seriously) and with a characters that are believable and likeble this game deserves a 9/10. Epic story/Believable characters/Decent gameplay. Expand
  93. Apr 27, 2013
    I registered on Metacritic five minutes ago so that I could review this game, having just finished it only ten minutes ago and recalling some of the divided opinions I had read here before purchasing the game. First: Wow. Second: I didn't think I'd be saying "wow" at the end. From the point where I was about halfway to three quarters finished with the game, I was a little disappointed. I felt that the mission structure and core gameplay (i.e. go to this place, kill everyone, repeat) was growing tedious and, despite the variability in combat options, I didn't love how frequently I was holding down the right trigger. That notwithstanding, I stuck with it because the world the gamemakers had built was so engrossing, the scenery so magnificent, the voice acting so surprisingly incredible. Since I grew tired with the main gameplay itself, I was tempted to just look up the story ending online, but didn't. And I'm glad I played it through and experienced it the right way. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'll just say that by the time the game ends, you feel like you're at the end of an epic poem, the beginning of which unfolded before your eyes at the start without you even realizing the epic on which you were embarking. To readers who have played, I assume you know what I mean. To readers who are playing, stick with it, I promise you it's worth slogging through the endless combat to reach a beguiling and intoxicating conclusion. To readers who haven't yet started: what are you waiting for? This is one of the good ones. Expand
  94. Apr 28, 2013
    I liked BioShock Infinite, I didn't love it.

The gameplay is decent, sometimes it feels like a chore. The story leading up to the "twist" keeps you entertained and Elizabeth is an exciting/interesting character. Whenever I needed ammo, she was there.

The ending was...okay? I don't think you can fully understand it without going online and reading 100+ forums/threads. We were
    expecting the twist and it probably delivered for some... Expand
  95. GFC
    Apr 29, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a great game. It has an incredibly well crafted story. The time flies while playing this game. Although fight after fight can be repetitive and there is no penalty for dieng the rest of the game makes up for it.
  96. May 1, 2013
    If you've not played it yet, there are probably some key questions you want answered. Does it look good? Absolutely. The art direction is stunning, the graphics have a unique style that borders on cartoony but with a sense of realism, and the attention to detail in the world-building is wonderful.

Is the story engaging? Very much so, although I can see how it wouldn't be to everyone's
    taste. I've seen it labelled as 'pretentious' in certain places, and while I entirely disagree with that particular adjective if you're the sort of person who just wants simple to-the-point action this won't be for you. The story is deep, interesting and steeped in meta-physics with a heavy dose of socio-political themes. It's also at times incredibly moving and tense, and had me gripped throughout.

Are the characters likeable, believable and interesting? Yes, especially Elizabeth who is one of the most endearing character I've ever encountered in a video game. Her animations, voice acting and dialogue are all great, and she just got more interesting as the story went on.

Does it play well? Mmmmm, yes and no. Compared to most modern FPS games the pace is much slower and the actual shooting aspect is a little clunky (which led to a few frustrating encounters when the action gets hectic). That said, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game experience as a whole. You're meant to take in all of the details and engage with the world around you, not rush through shooting everything. Elizabeth is also the best example of an AI character working alongside you in a game I've played in a long time.

So, is it good? I thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole thing is a satisfying package that I'm glad I played. I was left with a few unanswered questions at the end which was a little disappointing, and at a few points the shooting mechanics led to frustration, but nothing which would stop me from playing through it again and again. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I liked the first Bioshock game, but it's definitely one of the best games i've played in the last few years.
  97. Aug 1, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite, for all intents and purposes is a game that delivers. Elizabeth is a lovable companion, and surprisingly for once, it doesn’t feel like an escort mission. Rather a companion that helps you out when you most need it. The setting and graphics are nothing short of breathtaking. Everywhere you look there is something interesting to look at; it makes you slow down and take a a good look before progressing. There is also no feeling of repetitiveness, the game offers quite a bit level design and variety.
    Game flaws would include the fact that you can only carry two weapons at a time, but other than that, there’s really nothing more that can be thought of.
    Bioshock Infinite is a game that will immerse you to the very end. This is a game that instantly hooks you into its world the moment you hit start, and doesn’t let you go until days after you finally get over that ending. It’s that good.
  98. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sorry, but this game is just OVERRATED! I finished it two times, and I'm a huge bioshock fan, but there are so many flaws, that's why this game doens't deserve a good rating.
    Here a the biggest mistakes, imho:

- poor weapon upgrades hello? bioshock's power to the people upgrades where kickass, and you could see them directly on your weapons!!!! )
    - Songbird is just.... lame?! he hasn't any own story, no character, he just shows up a few times, screams, looks angry, just to die in the end! I mean, hell, the Big Daddys where so creepy, and they had a own story, but this birdy is just a lifeless object, and obviously, the developers didn't want to give him a purpose or an own story!

- Elisabeth: POOOOR relationship between her and the main character. She is only tossing coins and amo, and runs away one time because she is mad at you... I mean, COME ONE! Even my unborn son could construct a more emotional, deeper relationship between this to main protagonists..

- Story: Okay, the end is cool, BUT! The motivations of the inhabtians of columbia to blast my head off didn't satisfied me... in Bioshock, the splicers where degenerated junkies, most of them just wanted to kill and loot me. But in Infinite, the whole City just turned mad, and it just feels kinda unrealistic...

I give 5 points, because I still enjoyed playing this game. But after you have finished the game, and you start to reflect and think about the story, you will have to admit, that this game isn't that great, as we all thought it would be...
  99. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. Not only does it have incredibly beautiful and awesome graphics but it also has action and smooth gameplay to match. I can't remember the last time i had so much fun playing an first person shooter. I might go as far t say that this game is better than the original BioShock. I really like the new setting of a floating city where everything is kind of steampunk-ish and cool. The weapons are very cool, the enemies are at an enjoyable difficulty and the storyline is genuinely riveting. An absolute masterpiece of an FPS game and my new second favourite game (behind Borderlands 2). 10/10 Expand
  100. May 6, 2013
    My fave game this gen, surpassing my previous #1 Demon's Souls.

Story is solid, graphics/mechanics are some of the best of any game made, and the artistic style is unique and memorable. Sounds, movements, voice acting, all top notch as well. Weapons and vigors are balanced and offer unique ways to attack each area. Not to be missed.

If you are a gamer, you owe it to yourself to at
    least experience this game. Expand

1. May 27, 2013
    An instant classic that should be kept in a special place in every gamer's collection.
  2. May 11, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a sure-fire game-of-the-year candidate, and definitely one of the standout single-player games of this generation.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    Fuzzy-headed narrative and thematically irrelevant auxiliary mechanics make Infinite feel sloppy even when it's working. Combat increases in frequency and decreases in impact after the Hall of Heroes, so for most of its length the game sinks towards a deflated ending rather than rising towards a climax. However, that slow descent starts from a great height, so there is still much to value in Infinite even as it drowns in its own shortcomings.