8.8

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1927 Ratings

1. Mar 8, 2012
    This is one of those few games that gets the story and the play-style so well. It has originality and action that keeps you coming for more. I actually found the gameplay hard to be repetitive and the twist of the story was just jaw-dropping. This didn't get 10/10 for me just the RPG element is very low in this game. This is a definite must-play. You cannot afford to miss such an amazing adventure that this game has to offer. BTW, that guy in the cover is what also makes this game close to the 10/10;one of the best AI devised. Expand
  2. Aug 18, 2012
    bought it the very first day it came out. The game is top notch, great atmosphere, graphics, sound, gameplay, plot, **** everything. I couldn't stop playing it. I had to gat 100% achievements on this baby.
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    I don't even know. The stroy was kinda dumb, the gameplay was weird but cool and the graphics were sick. it wasn't main stream then now it is. People were like bro you've never play bioshock you gotta play it. So i beat it and was like that game was just whatever.
  4. Nov 21, 2011
    i hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this game
  5. Jan 1, 2012
    Can just appreciate the unique design and gaming experience this game delivered. Very well made and enjoyable to play. Just missing some features increasing replay value, thats all. Also a big thank you to 2k for not ruining the game by trying to press a mediocre coop mode into it. This current game generation a lot of potentially good singleplayer games got ruined this way.
  6. Mar 26, 2013
    There are those who get Bioshock, and there are those who don't. If you're looking for a Call of Duty shooter experience you won't find it here but if you're looking for a rich narrative full of interesting combat, this game is for you. I think the best way to go into Bioshock is without any expectations. If you're just getting the game now it may feel a little dated in that it what was really original in the beginning is now heavily borrowed in many other games. Still, the game holds up very well.

The setting is the star here. Rapture is an amazing enviroment full of details that will instantly have you asking questions and searching for answers. The best part is that the game rewards those who are asking those questions. Bioshock also has a rich narrative full of interesting characters like Little Sisters and Big Daddies, as well as the whole concept of plasmids. Bioshock also has some truly frightening moments, but has a lot of heart. The story itself, however, is extremely layered. It's really a creative way of giving Ayn Rand's Objectivism a slap in the face as well. The game also gives the player some interesting choices and the ending has an interesting twist. I think this game will always be remembered as a masterpiece, and it deserves it.
  7. Feb 17, 2013
    I found the combat of Bioshock (and Bioshock 2) just really uninteresting and boring. I loved the atmosphere of this game and the story (when there were bits of it), but I could never find myself interested in it enough to finish the game. Repetitive enemies and having to scrounge through every single piece of debris to get small amounts of ammo and clunky combat design makes is a real turn off. Why did everyone love this game? Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2012
    Really fun game with an absolutely enthralling story. Combat is fun most of the time, and the game has a good flow to it. The big thing I didn't like was the "moral choice" aspect of the little sisters. It lost all emotion after the second one or so, since it was just the same thing repeated over and over. The reward differences weren't really that big of a deal, and I didn't feel like it was a very rewarding choice system. It also wasn't as long as I might have liked. But the environments are fantastic, graphics are great, and the whole atmosphere of the game is very enjoyable. Definitely worth playing. Expand
  9. Feb 29, 2012
    This game is one of the best games, and BEST xbox 360 game i've ever played. The gameplay is awesome, the storyline is amazing and the game length, structure, imagery and integrity all get you through to the end of the game with that awe-struck euphoric feeling never faltering. 10/10
  10. Jun 22, 2012
    To me, BioShock represents all the what-could-have-been's and bust games. It was ambitious, different seemed to be a make or break type of game. In the end though, it succeeded. But not in the sense of, yes, it just what the trailers said. No, it was more than that. It boasts the best in quite possibly every single category of gaming. Plasmids and tonics integrate seemlessly into the gameplay to create quite the experience. The real beauty of such a game, however, is the fact that everything in terms of gameplay could be mediocre, and it would still be an outstanding game. The characters alone are enough to make this game of the year. But no, it managed to create gamings most intimidating yet awe-inspiring enviornment in a single game. From the level of detail to the serene sense of being underwater and the architecture to match, everything is stunning. There is just too many mentionable aspects not put this up for game of the year. This sets a new standard for games. 10/10 Expand
  11. Jun 23, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. The gameplay is fun and the plasmids are fun to use. The story is original and entertaining. The setting is incredible, as well. I loved my journey through Rapture. Also, Sander Cohen is awesome.
  12. Jun 28, 2012
    Well-written, immersive narrative. Top notch dialogue and voice acting, and amazing atmosphere. Rapture is easily my favorite fictional failed utopia overrun by cosmetic steroid abusing half-mutants. I would never visit, but I think of it fondly. It has a lot of action/adventure and survival horror elements, but more importantly, a lot of violence. And you can never have too much violence in a game, can you? No, of course not silly! On top of letting you shoot stuff (which is reason enough to buy most things) you get to set things on fire with the flick of your wrist, freeze things, and throw people with your mind. Makes me feel like a jedi, but less Ewan McGregor-esque. Expand
  13. Jul 1, 2012
    Bioshock is an amazing first person shooter. The story, the variety of weapons and strategies, the interactive, immersive and darkly beautiful settings are all fantastic. The game world is littered with endless details, hidden secrets, and dangerous attackers. The background and premise are thematic, drawing on objectivism, and kinda sci-fi, but its all told through great voice acting and intriguing characters.
    The only major problem is the relatively easy and potentially repetitive gameplay. However, putting the game on hard, disabling vita-chambers and limiting your weapon/plasmid/tonic choices can fix that. The game doesn't force you to pick up most of the available weapons. in addition, switching strategies will keep gameplay fresh.
  14. Jul 12, 2012
    Immersive storyline, appealing art direction, beautiful atmosphere, and enjoyable (albeit a bit tedious at times) combat. This game has everything I like to see in video games. When you get about an hour into the game, you're hooked. As the story unveils itself you get more and more immersed in the world of Rapture, and the game gets nearly impossible down. It manages to stay exciting throughout the entire game, which is a rarity these days, and even turns the suspense up a bit nearing the end. Memorable villains and magnificent writing makes Bioshock a fantastic game. Definitely one of the best I've played during my time, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something new and refreshing. Expand
  15. Jul 11, 2012
    The game is absolutely electrifying. A solid story mode throughout, with a great plot twist, you will find yourself hurrying to the end just to see the ending. Great voice acting and graphics.
  16. Aug 25, 2012
    The games is extremely orignal, and I absolutly dug the fiftys vibe, the storys is affectionatly odd and great, it delivers on all the scares, the graphics are amazing for the time, the soundtrack is average, the gun play is so F%^*#@g satisfying, and by the end of the game I felt like a god. I mean seriously, take a while off Bias a%$ CoD and paly this master piece
  17. Oct 27, 2012
    "Bioshock" can easily be called a masterpiece. Developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, it simply is one of the greatest video games ever made. To describe it as a sci-fi first-person shooter is to immensely shortchange it. This is a work of astounding visual beauty and classic storytelling that transcends the boundaries set by the genre. "Bioshock" is set post World War II in an underwater utopian city known as Rapture. Founded by a radical idealist named Andrew Ryan, it is a place where people live free of "questionable" government rules and regulations. As the game opens, players are placed in the footsteps of Jack, an "everyman" who finds himself in Rapture after his plane goes down somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, Jack discovers that Rapture is no longer a paradise but a living hell. It is overrun by crazed "splicers", citizens of Rapture that had their DNA altered. Guided by Atlas, a mystery man who speaks through a speaker, Jack discovers the dark truth of Rapture. The game has first-person shooter mechanics but also incorporates mini-puzzle and adventure elements. It carries an art-deco look but the tone is pure Grand Guignol. At its center, "Bioshock" is a survival horror game. And it's an intelligent one since it presents ideologies that were first introduced by Ayn Rand, a popular Russian-American philosopher. In my mind, "Bioshock" is a true work of art. It's a great entertainment. Expand
  18. Oct 14, 2012
    The good: Good graphics. Water looks great and the Unreal engine is really good.

The bad:

This game is drivel. It's a zombie shooter where enemies have no sense of self-preservation and require no skill to kill. They range from tedious to highly armoured which means if you don't have any ammo, expect to have to respawn over and over again to kill them. They also reappear, so if
    you've cleared a room. leave and re-enter, half the time new enemies come back.

The map is difficult to use. Why isn't my head the tip of the arrow on the map? As a result, navigation is confusing and almost impossible. The game's too complicated. Not content with one monetary system, they've introduced a second. Also, all of the different tonics, potions and lotions are just too much. I lose track of which category of power-ups are useful and which ones I don't care about. I keep getting mixed up between physical and combat tonics, and keep buying more slots for the wrong one. It's just really annoying.

It's just totally repetitive. I am SO BORED of playing the rubbish little pipeline game to hack robots, security cameras, etc. I'm SO BORED of killing the same zombies over and again, and hunting for objects. I'm just bored of the entire game.

The story is pointless and the main character just accepts everything unquestioningly (who is Atlas and why is my character doing what he says?). Apparently this'll all be explained in the end with a great twist, but I probably won't bother ever completing this game so won't see it. I'm SO bored of this game after playing it for 9 hours (and not enjoying it for that time, waiting until I have a glimmer of fun) that I think I'll just cheat my way through the rest of it. The part where I actually start liking this game doesn't appear to be happening any time soon, and apparently I'm 1/3 of the way through.

Ever heard that you need 3 things to make you feel good: Mastery, autonomy and purpose? This game gives you autonomy. I'm currently boring my way through having to collect 21 little potions. Pointless repetition combined with only half knowing where to go (for once the little arrow at the top has stopped giving me directions).

The story is TOO SLOW so I feel like there's NO PURPOSE. It's not mysterious it's just slow.

And I can keep on dying and respawning as much as I like which means that my choices have NO CONSEQUENCES and are completely meaningless. I can shoot Big Daddies from my respawn point (because if you run out of money and decent weapons you can barely kill them). The other enemies are basically zombies that run at you mindlessly. No tactics at all. So there's no need to master anything in this game. It's just a tedious walk through the levels.

I am completely baffled why this game has scored so highly. I'm only glad I bought it 5 years after its release instead of paying full price for it.

So in short if you like games like Batman where you enjoy having to outsmart your enemies (ones with a sense of self-preservation) and enjoy variety while making meaningful choices that have actual consequences, you probably won't enjoy this game. But for some reason 1,305 people rated it highly...
  19. Nov 8, 2012
    The game that made me want .... no NEED an xbox 360. A very unique style of gameplay with the telekinesis and such. The story line fit well with the whole atmosphere of the game, very creepy and eery. This was the very first game I purchased for my console and I wasn't left disappointed. The graphics were amazing at the time. Replay value is pretty slim, but still worth a purchase.
  20. Dec 10, 2012
    Game is a 10 out of ten. Nothing else really needs to be said. It is the best single player story in a FPS since Half-life, it has the best atmosphere in a game, the best boss character ever in a FPS, and the graphics are top notch. And boy those water effects!!!
  21. Dec 4, 2012
    Bioshock is more than a game. It is simply...art. It deserves every word of praise it gets, and is probably one of the best games ever. You read that right, EVER. Perfect marks in every category.
  22. Apr 8, 2014
    One thing you take from playing Bioshock is its shock value and its degree of uncertainty in its story. Kevin Levine has produced a masterpiece in the making this this project. After the success of System Shock II, 2K Boston now labelled "Irrational Games" has made easily one the most ambitious games to date. This will be remembered in 10-20 Years time in line with Games which changed gaming forever such as Metroid Prime and Golden-eye, The uses of plasmids for combat is a brilliant addition when taking out the "BIG DADDIES". These built machines "(A.K.A.) Mr Bubbles" feel like defeating a boss every time because as your stats increase so do theirs and hence comes down to skill. Easy controls and stunning graphics bring this game to life and with a jaw dropping twist players would be stunned by the events. Simply buy the game and if you feel its too easy, TRY HARD MODE. 10/10 Expand
  23. Dec 6, 2012
    This is an excellent first person shooter mixed RPG elements. I love having upgradable weapons. The use of Plasmids (powers) is loads of fun as you mix and match powers and weapon combos. The story is second to none and is a must play. If you like shooters you should love this spooky well writen game.
  24. Jun 25, 2013
    Featuring one of the greatest worlds in gaming history, a mind-blowingly allegorical story, a meaningful set of characters, and an unquestionably perfect set of visuals, "Bioshock" delivers a decidedly perfect trip.
  25. Mar 29, 2013
    Great visuals, great story, interesting characters and really a unique style of playing when it was first released. But I do have two points of criticism. 1) The minigames (hacking) are a little fun at first, they get very tedious later on. 2) A rather anti climactic end boss battle. He really just feels out of place within the Bioshock universe, perhaps taking the esoteric element of the game a tad too far. Overall: Bioshock is a really good game that was great in its day, but time and experience have shown it's underlying flaws. Expand
  26. Dec 26, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. Original game, great combat system, memorable characters, fantastic story, and all tied up with horror; appealing present for anyone if you ask me.
  27. Jun 5, 2013
    Great atmosphere. Creepy atmosphere. The gameplay is solid and can get your heart pumping at times. The storyline is interesting. There are no great characters and that is what makes it slightly less compelling for me. It is a classic game to many and it is worth playing to understand why.
  28. Aug 6, 2013
    When the next generation begins and I look back at the best of what the 360 offered, Bioshock will certainately be among my top choices as game of the system.
  29. Nov 27, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played and my most favorite game of all time. I can't believe I picked it up completely by coincidence without a second thought. Everything in this games works perfectly fine. It's fresh, it's unique and it's memorable. One of the best games to ever be released and the strongest game in the franchise to date.

The setting, story and the characters are
    fascinating and it feels so believable and the gameplay fresh and never boring because of the sheer variety of choices of how you want to fight yourself through this dystopian city. The soundtrack by Gary Schyman is perfectly fitting and gives everything an unique touch.The motivation to play through it again is immensely high, it's always fun because it isn't so linear and repetitive as BioShock: Infinite for example.

I can't really think of any real negative aspects of the game, except for the final boss fight, the moral choices and the resulting endings. They were disappointing.

Besides that it's one of the finest shooters ever created and a must-play for every avid gamer. It's a masterpiece and should be remembered for years to come.
  30. Jun 21, 2013
    Where Bioshock excels is not in it's gameplay, but rather its excellent atmosphere and compelling story. There were moments when playing Bioshock where I just stopped to admire the detail and effort put into Rapture. The only gripe I have with this game is the hacking system which, while novel at first, gets very annoying very quickly. This is a must play game and one of the best FPS games to date.
    9.4/10
  31. Feb 23, 2013
    This definitely one of the best games ever made in the recent years. The gameplay itself is a challenge and incredibly fun, the story of this game is where it gets it incredible high ratings i believe. I couldn't recommend this game highly enough.
  32. Apr 14, 2013
    "Ni dioses, ni reyes solo el hombre" una frase que en si define parte de una ciudad bajo el agua, bajo el océano atlántico.Esa ciudad se llama Rapture. Bioshock. Cuando nuestro querido magnate Andrew ryan decide crear un estado por así decirlo libre de autoridad económica, política y religiosa nace esta ciudad llamada Rapture. Se puede decir que no todo salio como lo esperado porque termino siendo un caos. La historia esta muy bien narrada, durante el juego vas encontrando grabaciones de personas que te van contando lo que ah pasado en esa ciudad de locos :P Muchos giros mucha traición es una de las cosas que hace a la historia de Bioshcok una obra maestra. Y no solo su historia, también su jugabilidad, su banda sonora,gráficas
    TODO es hermoso en Bioshock.

A lo largo del juego hubo algo que me molesto, en el sentido de que me fue un dolor de huevos y cada vez que lo veía sabía que al menos 1 vez iba a morir,lo que conocen y luchado contra el saben que me refiero al Big daddy.

Los Big daddy son las protectores de las little sisters, pequeñas niñas que eran sacadas del orfanato pero que ahora ya no son unas niñas pero si son tiernas :3. Bueno en todo el juego vas a tener que elegir si cosecharlas o rescatarlas. Bueno la cosa es que los Big daddy son duros, esas cagadas son difíciles de matar encima un solo golpe de ellos equivale a casi la mitad de tu vida y no da e.e.

Es un FPS con algunos toques de rol, horror y sigilo. Hay armas y plasmidos que nos ayudaran a derrotar a nuestros enemigos.

PUNTOS A FAVOR: TODO!

PUNTOS EN CONTRA: emm lo que podría decir es algo choto pero con tal de rellenar algo en contra El juego tiene 3 finales Bueno, neutro y malo. La cosa es que el final neutro es el mismo que el malo con la diferencia es con el tono de voz que dicen al final cambia .

Bueno a pesar de ese punto en contra no es nada que no te de por jugar a esta belleza, es algo que lo considero estúpido y nada mas. Sumérgete a raputre y juega a este increíble juego y que Dios te ayude.
  33. Feb 28, 2013
    Most immersive game currently on the market. So much of this is due to the silent protagonist, which is utilized so well in this game. The on-screen protagonist experiences Rapture at the same time that the player does so the protagonist's experience is the player's experience and the players voice is the protagonist's voice. Both haunting and thought provoking, this game, from start to finish, will leave you questioning the basic morality of the decisions you took for granted throughout the story. A masterpiece and a breakthrough in story-telling in the video game medium. Expand
  34. Mar 4, 2013
    A game worth drinking-in and enjoying its blissful intoxication, composed of: post-apocalyptic chaos; a claustrophobic-like incentive to keep moving forward; elegant and sophisticated 40's style, design, and jazz; mystery and intrigue developed by shoot-and-find clues on characters by means of their audio-files; deep curiosity and awe toward the structure of Rapture, with all of its eye-candy and eye-sores; lastly the capacity to maintain suspended disbelief with all of the real-life physicality and antiquity, mixed with the fantasy of ADAM and EVE and all of its explanation and justification, all done extravagantly. Expand
  35. Mar 24, 2013
    This is simply one of my favorite games all time. Incredible mood and atmosphere. I'm not sure I've seen better. Even a mediocre end boss fight isn't enough for me to know this game off it's very deserving 10 rating.
  36. Apr 11, 2013
    This is my favorite game. It is almost perfect, and while this is a blast, no game is 10/10 for me. In case you have not heard, BioShock is a FPS that is like no other FPS. It has an amazing story, best graphics, and solid gameplay. And the game has an amazing creepy feel too it. No character is drawn-out, and the choices are remarkable. But this game is not for kids. Swearing, buckets of blood, sexual themes, and just plain ol' adult themes invade every part of this game. And while it all is amazing, it is not perfect. Gameplay gets repetitive and boring. You feel like an invincible robot at the end (*cough*Halo*cough*). And the human character models just suck. They are really bad. But there are some cool RPG moments sprinkled on top of this cake. So after all this blab, would you kindly buy this game? Expand
  37. Mar 22, 2013
    amazing visuals a great atomosphere and a deep story with lots of twists, this is a must buy for any console its so cheap now as well. looking forward to infinte if its half as good as this
  38. Mar 24, 2013
    Somewhere, there exists a list of games that should be played by everyone. Not necessarily for being the best games, but to teach what games were, to teach a gaming history. A list of revolutionary games. A list of games that changed our conception of what gaming could do as a storytelling medium or gameplay mechanics that changed genres. On this list, there is Bioshock. Very rarely does a game come along with the atmosphere and story that Irrational Games is able to weave so intricately.

Story: If you haven't heard by now, Irrational (formerly known as 2K Boston) are master storytellers. Bioshock tells the story of Andrew Ryan, Frank Fontaine and your character Jack. Placed in the undersea city of Rapture, which was created by Ryan and hijacked by Fontaine, Jack is thrown into a city of chaos and destruction that was once a paradise for the scientific community and those who considered themselves freethinkers. Without giving too much away, your character is guided through a city of leaks, murder and every sin imaginable all in a bid to get back to the surface, or at least that's what you think. Bioshock throws you for a loop by the end, giving you choices, all the while slowly prodding you in the right direction and letting you explore to your hearts content. This story truly is a masterpiece of gaming and the only complaint I could really give is that the second half of the game starts to feel a bit stretched. Still, you'll be hard pressed to find a story more enthralling and a world that will suck you in more than Irrational's creation.

Gameplay: While Bioshock is a FPS, it plays more like an adventure game and at times, a survival game. On the hardest difficulties, you'll probably start to run out of ammo, you'll probably be scrounging for health packs and more than likely you'll die a number of times. Is the game difficult, even on the hardest difficulty? Not if you have the time. Death carries no real penalty aside from the annoyance of finding your last location and if you get there quick enough your enemy will still be there with the last bit of health remaining. That's right, almost no recharge. The controls can be a bit clunky at times while playing on the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, with the weapons/plasmids selection wheel being a bit finicky and slightly annoying at times. The fact that it pauses the game really breaks you out of the action and serves as a constant reminder that, yes, you are playing a game.

Visuals: You could say "graphics", but that's not where Bioshock excels. Visuals, however, provides a whole different answer. Graphically, Bioshock is showing it's age; muddy, repeated textures, corners and tight corridors to mask a shallow field of vision, sharp edges and rounded objects that tend to look a bit grainy on the curves. If you were to compare it to a Battlefield 3 or even Halo 4, you would be sorely disappointed. But Bioshock's visuals are far better then that last sentence sounded. While graphically, Bioshock is aging, the aesthetics of the game are gorgeous. The Art Deco style shines in Rapture, completely selling the world Irrational created, not just in the game but as a living, breathing (well, in context a crippled and wheezing) city. The character models might not be anything special, but again, the slightly cartoonish art style, masks the aging graphics giving the game a look that, while it's not particularly modern, still holds up well against many other games who's aesthetics don't allow for such graceful aging.

Sound: Orgasmic? Maybe not. Bioshock's voice acting is spectacular and the sounds of Rapture are stunning, but if you're playing on Xbox or Playstation you're being treated to regular stereo sound, which really removes a lot of the immersion when wearing a headset or using surround sound speakers. If you're the type who only has the speakers on their television, then you won't notice the difference. Aside from technical limitations and annoyances, Rapture's soundtrack is just about perfect, making great use of the aesthetics of the area, period music and set pieces to give music when necessary, silence when building tension, eerie creaks and groans of the city, the screams of splicers and the moans of Big Daddies before they disembowel you.

Final Thoughts: If you don't believe that video games can tell a moving, complete story of artistic merit, then Bioshock is the game to change that opinion. It's not a "summer action flick" type of game like the Call of Duty series or your average shooter. Instead, it's a calculated, but incredible game that has very few flaws, most of which are derived from technological limitations. The PC version is the best way you can play Bioshock as it remedies most of the irritations included with the console versions, but regardless, Bioshock is a game for the ages and one that will be remembered as one of the great games of the current generation of games.
  39. Mar 24, 2013
    No Southpaw or analog/control stick mapping--there's not even d-pad configuration. This is a glaring and awful oversight that makes the game unplayable for some, not to mention those have disabilities and might require custom input devices. Functionality even through updates was never added and that's just offensive.
  40. Apr 9, 2013
    Since I' am into a lot of fps games I buy ed this game and I' am really pleased with it the storyline is great and you get a lot of upgrades to use like telekinesis simple makes you grab anything and toss it at anything.

The controls can be a really bother to you but when you learn the basics you find it as easy as any other game you play.

They is a lot of healing item you can carry
    on you by 9 which to me seems to be a lot.

You also which I hate in this game is the thing of hacking a machine it's like a jigsaw you move the pieces around to fit the other parts in order to complete the stage and you get rewards for them too.

This is a awesome game right back at the start up til the end, try you won't be disappointed.
  41. Apr 7, 2013
    There is a reason that this game is the highest shooter of all time. The game is set in the vast, creepy city of Rapture which is located under the sea. The graphics fail to disappoint and the game-play is great. There are a large variety of weapons to choose from and the story is enriched with twits and turns that will no doubt leave you shocked. 2K are definitely one of my favourite developers after making this masterpiece. (Also check out Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite which are just as good) Expand
  42. Apr 15, 2013
    It has been 10 years since Irrational Games has delved into the first-person survival horror genre, and this time it nailed it. The franchise redefined the genre, and has created one of the most memorable games of the twenty first century to date, winning multiple GOTY awards and selling nearly a half of a million copies the first month it was released.
    From a gameplay prospective, the
    game utilized the option of creativity. It isn't anything like other first-person shooters due to the use of plasmids and its effect on the environment. Plasmids are the central part of the game and can be used to set people ablaze, shock a puddle of water, control machinery, and much more. There is also a decent amount of weapons to use such as the classic shotgun, to the monkey wrench. The combinations that can be made during encounters are massive, ensuring to keep a person's hands glued to the controller.
    What possibly makes the game is the presentation of it all. From square one, the player is thrown into a strange world in turmoil, and has no clue what to expect. The only guidance they have is an ambiguous man, and the map laid out before you. This creates the survival element of the game, and combined with the fear of deranged psychos and a Big Daddy coming around the corner makes its genre.
    The plot is pretty good, with a few twists, but the world itself is what can drive a person through the game if a person finds the gameplay to be lacking. I found myself wanting to know more about what had happened and how things are the way they are by listening to recordings found throughout the game and learning of the stories of certain opponents. Surprisingly its soundtrack is also strong. Winning multiple awards, its music added that extra touch of suspense.
    This game deserves its awards, and it deserves recognition. If you are a gamer, chances are you have played this game, and there is no way you haven't at least heard of it. The only issues that anyone might have for the game is that when the credits roll.
  43. May 6, 2013
    A true masterpiece, something that forever earned it's place in my heart with it's intro alone. Andrew Ryan has some of the best dialogue, writing, and straight up voice acting EVER in a video game character. Game play is also very entertaining with descent complexity and quit a bit of straight up action. The story is incredible and throw's a couple of curve-balls at you. It easily has the most complex back-story ever put in a game, and Sander Cohen is my favorite character in all forms of media. Expand
  44. Jun 15, 2013
    Such an original masterpiece. This game is a genre defining experience for any fans of FPS games or games in general. I don't think it should be classified as horror maybe more creepy than anything else. The action is intense it feels unique and stylish and it has graphics to match. The tasks you have to complete in this game would be grueling if the game was any diffeent but Irrational have really made it more exciting with a great storyline and unique style and unique everything. 100% 10/10 Expand
  45. May 28, 2013
    Original, beautiful, awesome, creepy, and brilliant! Bioshock is total work of art and should never be forgotten for years to come! To bad we won't get anything like this anytime soon.
  46. May 29, 2013
    Amazing storyline, excellent plot twist and appealing game play. This is a one of a kind game and is highly recommended. The only down side would be its lack of replay value, but the game makes up for it by being wonderful. So, this gets a 9.9/10 from me.
  47. Jun 3, 2013
    Bioshock has two distinctions for me: it has the best story in a game I've ever played and is the scariest game I've ever played. I don't get scared easily in games, but I was on edge the entire time thanks to big daddies and creepy mannequins who pop up out of nowhere. As for the story, it opened my eyes to how video games can be such a great medium for storytelling. The twist at the end blew my mind.

Gameplay was also fun thanks to the smooth controls and innovative use of plasmids. If you haven't played this game, do it now.
  48. Jun 11, 2013
    This is probably the best game I have played on xbox 360, the story is enthralling, political, chilling and riveting. The art design and atmosphere leave you constantly captivated and on edge. The depth of game play and length of the game are a perfect match you do not at any point in this game get bored. If you are the one person that has not played this game yet I recommend playing in complete darkness with the volume up. Expand
  49. Jul 9, 2013
    From any standpoint, Bioshock is aesthetically brilliant! It is so unbelievably well-crafted, I can't even put it into words! Go and play this game IMMEDIATELY!!!
  50. Feb 9, 2014
    For its time, and to this day, the original Bioshock is an engrossing, mostly original take on the first-person shooter genre. In fact, it goes so far beyond the typical trappings of the genre that it can more accurately be described as an "action-adventure-shooter", or even a "vivid journey through a richly detailed and creative world beneath the Atlantic ocean". That works, too.

The
    premise of the game is simple (at first): you're involved in an unfortunate accident that, via an extremely well-done introduction sequence, sees you arrive in Rapture, an underwater city built by the rich and idealistic Andrew Ryan. The city has seen better days, as you'll quickly discover, but along the way you'll also piece together specifics of the city's history, your own past and how it all fits together. While all this is happening, you'll have your hands full trying to fend off some of the city's more inhospitable denizens, with an arsenal of unexpected and/or satisfying weaponry, technological breakthroughs (aka Plasmids, which introduce certain abilities to your genetic makeup) and careful planning for some of the tougher battles.

It all flows like water, incredibly well written and scripted so that you're never too far from the next startling revelation, the next unsettling scare of an enemy appearing in the most unlikely of places, or the next upgrade to your arsenal. Along with Plasmids, you also have access to passive upgrades known as Gene Tonics, which you can use to enhance your own style of play, offering a small but vital aspect of customization to an otherwise straightforward "find new weapon, use new weapon" system.

The wheel cannot be reinvented, do not kid yourself; while Bioshock is impressive in almost every way, from its clever use of sound and soundtrack to its devilish and mysterious ranks of enemies, the standard rail-shooter rules almost totally apply; fight, move forward, fight, move forward, etc. It is in the game's ability to lead you (temporarily) off the beaten path with various recordings detailing the life and times of the citizens of Rapture, the scavenging for ammunition, first aid and the like, that bring the overall score up even more.

In the end, Bioshock came as close as games can to revolutionizing the platform today. So much has already been done, but nothing had quite the same feel and the same sense of awe that Bioshock had, especially not within its own genre.
  51. Jul 16, 2013
    Any negative reviews, just no. The game starts of slow and sluggish, but as you get deeper into the story (and Rapture), the game becomes more action packed, and even on easy, it's a challenge. However, the final boss fight is way too easy. But the 4 possible endings is a nice feature. It's better than Bioshock two (only just in my opinion), and I haven't yet played Bioshock Infinite. But a Bioshock 3 set in Rapture again would be bliss. But yeah, if you're giving the game a negative review, then well, I don't see why. Expand
  52. Jul 19, 2013
    An amazing game. It's shooter mechanics are a little bit clunky, but the graphics and the ambientation are amazing, this is a game that you must have if you like games like metroid or something like that, but if you are expecting to play a Call of Duty clone, you are in the wrong game.
  53. Aug 3, 2013
    With one of the best stories in video games and a immersive environment, Bioshock is a masterpiece. From beginning to end the action in this game was intense, fast paced, and all around frighting. The enemies are gross looking and unique in may ways. The look of Rapture is amazing; the sounds of the world is some times magical and at others straight out of a horror movie. The Big Daddy is in my opinion easily in the top ten most recognized video game characters in the history of gaming. The little sisters gave me nightmares for weeks simply because of one thing there laugh. Its no joke my dreams were wrecked by those little demons and I loved it. The whole game is a roller coaster but the kind of roller coaster that will always fun. Expand
  54. Sep 12, 2013
    Excellent game, is the best game in the series Bioshock, for its original story, ambience, unforgettable characters like Andrew Ryan, Atlas, Sander Cohen, the little sister, the Big Daddies, plasmids, a masterpiece.
  55. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, the only thing that keeps me from giving it a 10 is the fact that while the characters you do interact with are very well done, there's not enough of them, just mindless zombie after zombie. Expand
  56. Sep 20, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played. Unique setting, very creepy, very cool gameplay, interesting story and characters, great graphics, plot twist, and who can forget the iconic bouncer big daddies?
  57. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the BEST games ever! I could replay this game any time and never get tired of it! I love everything about it from it's atmosphere, incredible underwater design, crazy enemies, and many different plasmids. It truly is a world of it's own. I'm still hoping someone will take Rapture and bring it to life even more in theaters. Beautiful game! LOVE IT!
  58. Mar 14, 2014
    Atmospheric, entertaining, original, compelling, etc. etc etc. It's all true, hate to argue from popularity but here on metacritic this game is 88 from 88 positive critic scores. Swish.
  59. Oct 6, 2013
    A brilliant and original game. Set in a unique underwater city called Rapture. Stunning scenery and an excellent storyline filled with some twists and turns and of course, excitement. A survival horror game that actually does give off some jumpy scares. There aren't many games like that anymore. Deserved game of the year 2007. For a game released back then it's not unplayable as the controls aren't awkward and the graphics are great! This game is a bargain for the price you can buy now and an excellent start of what us now a stunning trilogy. A must buy game. Expand
  60. Nov 30, 2013
    A breathtaking game of sheer originality. Unlike any game i had played previously. The story line is down right amazing, and you really fall in love with the "Rapture." The game is interesting through and through. A flawless game with no match. Also the Ultimate Rapture Edition, including Bioshock 1 & 2, plus $40 worth of in game content, and it's only $30, making it dirt cheap! If you're not sure if this game is right for you, try it, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  61. Mar 17, 2014
    The best single player game I have ever played. Story, weapons, enemies, environments and so much more are insanely good, and some are just insane. There is so much greatness here there is no way to fit it into a review box.
  62. Dec 25, 2013
    Masterpiece, absolute must buy of a game. The suspense is overwehlming and I found myself pausing the game multiple times out of fear. In my opinion this game is much scarier than even dead space and fear 2. the enemies are so twisted and crazy that one becomes on edge. Incredible game, and I have played it through many times.
  63. Dec 29, 2013
    If any game is an artwork, this is it. It is revolutionary on nearly every level. The twist ending is great, but it is also a statement on the gaming industry as a whole, and the goal of the developers to remedy. The environment is still the most interesting in any form of media i've seen to date. It is a masterpiece of a game.
  64. Dec 30, 2013
    If video games are ever going to be considered art on the level of film, music, and literature, BioShock might be the best case made yet. This is because BioShock is not just a first-person shooter, it is a psychological and philosophical experience that tests the true meaning of morality, and might just teach you something about yourself. In addition, the music contributes to an air of ironic creepiness, the visuals are mind-blowing, and the emotional impact of the narrative is jarring beyond almost any other game I have played. And all this comes with gameplay that is so simple it is brilliant, since it allows you to soak in every aspect of the fully-realized universe that is Rapture. Expand
  65. Dec 31, 2013
    Bioshock has one of the creepiest yet hauntingly gorgeous video game worlds, and one of the best new villains around, both Andrew Ryan and others, such as Sander Cohen. The story is great, but the gameplay, the most important part, is also fantastic and very fun. Bioshock is a creepy game but the sensation and rewarding feeling to it will warm your heart.

Bioshock gets a 9.5/10
  66. Jan 16, 2014
    Bioshock is one of the best games ever created, it gets my 2007 game of the year award. It blends fun first person shooter mechanics in an art deco underwater utopia mixing action and horror within a story line that will really have you thinking about your own motivations in videogames, some say the story dies off after the twist and I can see why some people could lose interest after it but I felt personally attached to taking down Fontaine so the entire game was a fantastic experience and the closest thing that a shooter can come to a novel. The mix of great art and colourful villains with deeper layers of story, surrounding the fall of the utopia known as Rapture, told through audio logs is a wonderful place to spend alone time. This game is a contender for game of the generation. Expand
  67. Jan 10, 2014
    First off, let me clear things up. BioShock is not a game. It is a masterpiece.

When I first bought this game in 2009 I was about 13 or 14. Having previously read about BioShock in a magazine 2 or 3 years beforehand, I had been intrigued by the game since I was young.
    Just who was that big deep sea diver dude, and why was he protecting that small girl with the glowing eyes?
    Needless
    to say the game absolutely terrified me, (which made the experience even better) but my curiosity kept me playing.
    From the opening scene to the very end of the credits, I was immersed in the strange underwater city, Rapture. The atmosphere of the game is astounding, and sometimes I would have to remind myself that it was just a game. The mechanics work well and I had no problem at all working with the controls.
    The plasmid/weapon combos, the traps and upgrades were all used many times.

The A.I is some of if not the best I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and I found myself taking all sorts of approaches to the situations BioShock put me in.
    For example, I would come across a security camera which triggers an alarm if I am caught in its beam. I decide to destroy it with a heat guided missile, which alarms some nearby enemies and their turret. I distract the enemies with a decoy and shoot a hack dart which I crafted earlier into the turret. The turret then kills the enemies from behind and I pass through, collecting any dropped ammo or valuables.

Now picture the same situation. I decide to hack the security camera instead, which causes the enemies to be targeted by the security bots that are called once the camera spots them. The bots finish the enemies off, and one electro bolt from my plasmid fuelled hand renders the turret useless for a few seconds, giving me enough time to hack it manually, saving ammo.
    Situations like this make BioShock shine and really stand out from the rest of the first person genre. Giving gamers this much freedom of choice was almost unheard of until BioShock's release. Many other games have taken the "you choose how this plays out" style, but not many have quite hit the nail on the head like BioShock does.
    And not only does this game give you room to move, but it does so while following a strong main plot, something that many games now-days fail to do.

BioShock is a terrifyingly beautiful, breathtaking piece of art which will have you on the edge of your seat, intrigued and amazingly uncomfortable as you traverse through Rapture. A must play.
  68. Feb 12, 2014
    I am very late to this party.
    This game gave me chills.
    The music, sound, and creepy atmosphere are amazing. There are 5-10 gaming moments that I remember as a kid/teen/adult. Walking into the medical pavilion for the first time is now on that list.
  69. Feb 10, 2014
    Bioshock was absolutely amazing! This is my first review but I'm glad that this game is the first Game I review! I loved everything about it whether it was, Being able to explore the mysterious city of Rapture, fight Big Daddies and dealing with the Little Sisters. When you play Bioshock (and I strongly recommend it) look at your surroundings, listen to the whales and take in the scenery of Rapture. I thoroughly enjoyed the combat in the game, it wasn't difficult for me, and the use of plasmids were "cool!" I remember my first contact with a Big Daddy, it was terrifying but after defeating it (after 2 attempts) I fell in love with the game, the artwork, the characters, the dialogue, the combat, absolutely everything! However with everything, there will always be one downside to it ,in Bioshock it was...the final battle. I found it a little bit easy, but intense all the way. Don't let that stop you from playing it though, because it's just such an amazing game to ignore. Now 'Would You Kindly' go and play Bioshock... Expand
  70. Feb 25, 2014
    Fantastic video-game. It's one of my three favourites video-games.

It has a wonderful script, it '''immerses' you. About the technical section, considering the year it was released, it didn't have the best graphics, but it had and has the best artistic design of all time.

About the gameplay, it's often uncomfortable in many times, so this is the worst part of the game; though it is
    also really awesome. Expand
  71. Mar 24, 2014
    Delightfully twisted. Brilliant design. Impressive AI. A worthy successor to the System Shock games. I hope that some day (when consoles and computers are exponentially more powerful) they remake Bioshock as a living breathing open world game. The atmosphere is just sooo good. 9.5/10
  72. Sep 21, 2010
    This is one of those few games that comes along every once in a while that makes you question what can be done in gaming, in terms of environment, atmosphere, and writing. The combat isn't the best I have seen though, but it is competent enough to play through the game and enjoy it. It is very good looking, creepy, and the story has moments that may blow your mind. The big downside is the pacing, it doesn't get really good until the middle and the last third limps along. I'm not saying the middle is the only good part, but the middle is excellent and the rest is just really good. At least worth a rental. Collapse

1. In a nutshell, beyond any shadow of doubt, BioShock is an excellent single-player shooter experience. The undeniable quality of this title and its emphasis on true and not pseudo-mature storytelling and character development make it a must-have for every self-respecting gamer.
  2. Its weak link is its unsatisfying no-skill-required combat, which might aim this one just over the head of the average Halo fan. But if you want to get a little fancy, there's a lot of fun to be had with some of the game's more indirect fighting methods. It builds an amazing atmosphere by using terrific graphics and sound to set a creepy mood. But BioShock's real strengths are as a compelling work of interactive fiction, and as a unique ride through a warped world with some great payoff built into its mysterious plot. If that description has you even the least bit interested, you won't be disappointed one bit.
    The first-person shooter's great looking, has an engrossing storyline, a perfect balance of action and exploration and a totally customizable combat system that can be described as nothing less than video game rapture.