4.8

1. Nov 6, 2011
    One of the worst examples of a game in existence. Almost everything about this game is done wrong and I nearly threw my Kinect out of the bedroom window after the first level.
  2. Nov 21, 2011
    I've been playing it for at least a week now, and I actually have been enjoying it. Proof is in the achievements ;) (RICKMANX) Sure it takes a little getting used to the aiming by making your hand a gun (cuz we've never done that as kids!) but I really haven't had much trouble with it. Ok I'll also agree the story isn't much either, but I don't care. I get a much more involved "Time Crises" experience shooting and grenadin' baddies and getting some exercise in the process. Only real complaint I have with it is I wish it had more checkpoints during a mission. Sucks to have to redo the run from scratch if you get waxed, but so far its more a minor inconvience as I'm still getting through it. My advice: rent it, and see for yourself. Expand
  3. Nov 26, 2011
    So some of the most despicable human beings decided to ride the waves of their murdering names straight into a video game? What the hell? In what world does this make any sense at all. In reality, it doesn't. This half assed title is just another jingoistic "shoot brown people in the Middle East" game trying to ride the success of CoD and BF, but with no merits of it's own. This terrible game deserves nothing more than to die a slow, quiet death in the bargain bin, which is much more than the people who share it's namesake deserve. Expand
  4. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The concept for gameplay is perfect. The premise of the story line is excellent. The kinect fails to offer the responsiveness or accuracy that the game demands. The graphics are poorly executed but only stand out so much due the lack of ambience or environment. Forget whatever trash you have read about the institution called "Black water" or more recently known as Xe or Academi. Everything they've been accused of would have been disregarded if performed by the department of defense. What really kills this title is the dialogue. The same cheesy lines are repeated whenever you change characters. It was a good idea to swap characters who each have their own weapon systems. It was a good idea to have numerous paths through levels that players choose. It was a good idea to address the plight of African governments failing under pressure from local warlords and the UN being unable to fully address the problem. It was a good idea to use the arcade rail style game play to pair with the kinect.

It was too ambitious to create an all kinect shooter. It lags and skips meaning that quick and accurate fire us impossible. The controls are lackluster at best and infuriating at worst. The graphics are laugh ably substandard for the year 2011. This is the year of Forza 4 and Battlefield 3. Halo Reach and Sky rim used ancient engines yet produced marvelous visuals. The dialogue is bland and repetitive. Sound effects are awful. The a?chievements require *numerous* playthroughs meaning that cheevo-hunters should look elsewhere.

Its not worth owning. Its not worth renting. In fact, its not worth playing at all. Its annoying that a chance for a kinect shooter failed. A chance for a black water game failed. A chance for a game to address the civil wars in Africa failed. That this game was such an opportunity is the greatest failure of all.
  5. Nov 17, 2011
    LOL. This game isnt that bad... however it could have been alot better if a shooting peripheral came along with it. It feels very awkward aiming and shooting with your arms.
  6. Apr 13, 2012
    Ok, the game has problems (mainly aiming which jumps around a lot), BUT its the 1st FPS on the 1st motion sensing system. These guys would probably slam on Atari 2800 for having bad graphics and poor game play back in 1980! We'll all probably laugh about it when Kinect 2 comes out, but it does get credit for being 1st and you can buy it for 20$ now! BUY IT! ITS FUN!

1. Jan 25, 2012
    Blackwater is a definite step in the right direction to providing the motion-based FPS like the one promised when Microsoft announced their Kinect camera peripheral. But between the controversial backstory, the dicey subject matter, the terrible presentation, and the sketchy controls, it is a game that is better left on the shelf. If you want a better Kinect shooter experience, check out Gunstringer.
  2. Jan 12, 2012
    A seed of a good idea prematurely chocked by numerous technical and design shortcomings. [Feb 2012, p.96]
    On-rails action for the morally oblivious. [Jan 2012, p.100]