8.2

1. Sep 21, 2012
    This isn't the perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, but it does have enough charm and versatility to justify the label of a "good game". However, the worrying trend of blockbuster releases receiving perfect 10/10 scores from major critics rears it's ugly head again - making it difficult to take certain review sites seriously.

That said, the game improves on it's predecessor

That said, the game improves on it's predecessor in the key area of gameplay, even if it isn't as immersive as the original is in terms of character and quirkiness. The RPG elements are "OK" - it struggles to remain coherent as it deals with an absurd storyline (but then, the original wasn't exactly Dickensian in narrative either!) - but if you strip away the glitz and graphical glamour of this title, you're left with a by the books shooter at the end of the day. ITo be blunt, if you're buying this hoping to have an RPG experience, you'll end up losing interest in the lacklustre story and you'll be simply shooting whatever moves before long.

The reason this game is worth a purchase, even when taking on board the crowded market it exists in, is because the multiplayer is very good, and the humour is pretty unique in this genre - something missing since the demise of Duke Nukem as a credible franchise.
  2. Apr 30, 2013
    I liked the first game, liked the art design, the humor and gun playing. this game improved from the first one, especially the story-line, which was a joke in the first game. it is also much fun to play co-op with a friend online. however, i just cannot put as much time as i did in the first game, too repetitive overall.
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    If you liked the first game, you'll surely like this second one. While the characters seem less thought-out than the first installment, they're still quite likable and interactive. Obscene remarks seem to have been turned down a notch? Which was a bit of a disappointment for me since I really liked the abrasive humor of the first game, but I got over that I guess. Everything is generallyIf you liked the first game, you'll surely like this second one. While the characters seem less thought-out than the first installment, they're still quite likable and interactive. Obscene remarks seem to have been turned down a notch? Which was a bit of a disappointment for me since I really liked the abrasive humor of the first game, but I got over that I guess. Everything is generally improved upon since the first game otherwise. Awesome DLCs. I met a few of the execs for this project during a party; really awesome people who worked their butts off to make this game what it is. Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2013
    A good sequel to the first Borderlands but i feel this game is Overrated to an extent. The new scenery was a nice change from Borderlands 1 and the game having a storyline was a definite plus. However the game got a bit repetitive too quickly, the skill-trees weren't up to much and for a game that prides itself on having a huge amount of guns i ended up with similar ones at most points ofA good sequel to the first Borderlands but i feel this game is Overrated to an extent. The new scenery was a nice change from Borderlands 1 and the game having a storyline was a definite plus. However the game got a bit repetitive too quickly, the skill-trees weren't up to much and for a game that prides itself on having a huge amount of guns i ended up with similar ones at most points of the game. Overall it was an enjoyable experience but one that good have been improved Expand
  5. Jul 15, 2013
    Borderlands 1 es el mejor en todo, ambientacion, musica, personajes, humor, hasta los DLC estan mas trabajados....en una sola palabra lo definiria como: Boredlands 2_saludos
  6. Oct 9, 2012
    While not as good as the original Borderlands, this is still a pretty good game that only suffers by the consistent dumbing-down of the RPG elements and other details to (supposedly) attract a wider audience. In a game supposedly about loot, there is actually less of it and fewer different types in the sequel, than in Borderlands. Strange but true and this data is backed up on the GearboxWhile not as good as the original Borderlands, this is still a pretty good game that only suffers by the consistent dumbing-down of the RPG elements and other details to (supposedly) attract a wider audience. In a game supposedly about loot, there is actually less of it and fewer different types in the sequel, than in Borderlands. Strange but true and this data is backed up on the Gearbox forums. No more weapon profieicneis, no more gun stats like zooom, recoil or sway, etc. Not all is bad news, and along with the streamlining negatives, the missions are a bit better and the locales more varied, but it can still get boring and Borderlands 2 doesn't manage to hit the same mood or environment level that the original did. Sometimes playing Borderlands, the mood and ambiance was so heavy you almost felt like you were out in a desolate wasteland, but you'll never forget you're playing a videogame with the sequel. There is an old saying that "the Devil's in the details" and by removing so many of the important "details" from the hit original, Gearbox seems to forgotten that. Expand
  7. Sep 22, 2012
    I bought into the hype and purchased this on day one. I played it in co-op but this game was a big let down. It's more of the same, which your opinion will differ on that depending on how much you liked the first game. I did play and beat the first one so I knew what to expect. If you loved Borderlands you more than likely bought and finished it already. But if you're on the fence I'dI bought into the hype and purchased this on day one. I played it in co-op but this game was a big let down. It's more of the same, which your opinion will differ on that depending on how much you liked the first game. I did play and beat the first one so I knew what to expect. If you loved Borderlands you more than likely bought and finished it already. But if you're on the fence I'd say buy it only if you'll play with two or three friends. If you can, wait a year until the edition with all the DLC comes out so you don't waste money. Don't get it if you're going to play alone. Expand
  8. Dec 19, 2012
    TL;DR The better sequel to Borderlands 1, which still doesn't say much.

To start, just know that there is nothing subtle about this game. The dialogue, "humor", anything, everything is basically in your face, for the good and bad. I'll explain that here... To start, the art, guns, gameplay, and characters (personality wise, at least) have definitely been improved over the first.
    TL;DR The better sequel to Borderlands 1, which still doesn't say much.

To start, the art, guns, gameplay, and characters (personality wise, at least) have definitely been improved over the first. However, the game is still a better version of 1 that didn't improve on much of the problems, rather, they've been seemingly masked.

Firstly, there are not a bazillion more guns, there are simply more combos of pre-made guns (modding and making your own is still very fun and an option luckily). You WILL see the same guns more than twice. Second, the feel of the guns is definitely better, but combat is still the same old "going in guns blazing with endless second winds" or "hide and pick them off one by one". The action skills have been vastly improved at least, and are all useful. Third, I might start ranting here, but the story and the dialogue tied to it are...not so good, to say the least. If you like toilet humor and jokes that are forced upon you, then maybe you'll enjoy it, however, don't expect any well thought out humor here. Granted, there are moments anyone can still laugh at, but the humor is still bottom of the barrel and mostly appeals to the demographic of 13 year old boys. The story is also very mediocre and riddled with (bullet) holes. Besides it being a complete reboot of the first (find the vault, oh no bad guys!) , it now has a primary antagonist that belittles and taunts you throughout the WHOLE game. Handsome Jack is simply another mediocre villain, unfortunately, and any potential he had was wasted on his loud-mouthed, arrogant character who taunts the hero nonstop, while never confronting them, quickly becoming a big joke.

The characters also seem really odd. I don't know if you can relate to any of them at all. Like the humor and many, many pop culture references, they suffer from a bad case of "OMG so random and funny!". If I had to pick the biggest offender, it'd be Tiny Tina. Regardless, they all have the combined emotions of a sack of potatoes, and none of them really come off as memorable.

Overall, BL2 is indeed the better successor to the first, but even then, the game is anything but a masterpiece.
  9. Jan 11, 2014
    Here's why I don't suck this game's d*** like everyone else:
    1. The game isn't really fun unless you have friends to play co-op with, otherwise you'll be left doing missions and gathering loot all by yourself.
    Here's why I don't suck this game's d*** like everyone else:
    2. Areas you've cleared will respawn them again seconds after you leave the region, making clearing them out pointless, except for the thrill of killing them to kill them yet again.
    3. The cartoony graphics get old.
    4. Using 100 different variations of basically the same gun gets very old.
    5. The game revolves around getting loot.
    Pros:
    1. It actually has a somewhat entertaining story.
    2. The landscape is beautiful.
    3. The guns look nice.
  10. Feb 15, 2013
    Fun game and a massive improvement to the original but some how it just got boring. I don't care about loot so much and grinding to get it is just ridiculous so I cheated tested out all the best and meh is all I can say. If you take the loot out this game suddenly becomes quite dull which is sad because loot shouldn't make a game special.

On top of that they put out two DLC which each

On top of that they put out two DLC which each has the exact same running joke about the guy betraying you. I don't know the joke got old and although the game made me laugh I wouldn't have minded a few serious moments or truly epic moments at least to allow me to enjoy the comical moments more. A game that is a constant joke just isn't funny or fun in the end.
  11. Jan 26, 2013
    Although the game is better than the first one. I really couldn't get absorbed into the game-world enough to fully enjoy what it had to offer. This is why I will give the game a 7/10
  12. Nov 7, 2013
    Borderlands 2, how do I put it, it was okay. I never really got into playing it mainly because, I did not expect it to be cartoon based, the in game tutorials went on too long, I absolutely hated the Scags, and I did not find the multiplayer very enjoyable. I probably wont buy another game from the Borderlands series.
  13. Oct 30, 2012
    Have you played the first Borderlands? Did you enjoy it? If you did play it and enjoy it, chances are that you'll enjoy this too. If you played the first one and didn't enjoy it, then stay far away from this game. Now lets get to a review for people that are new to the series. Borderlands 2 looks good. There's plenty of character customization. It controls well, although shooting with anyHave you played the first Borderlands? Did you enjoy it? If you did play it and enjoy it, chances are that you'll enjoy this too. If you played the first one and didn't enjoy it, then stay far away from this game. Now lets get to a review for people that are new to the series. Borderlands 2 looks good. There's plenty of character customization. It controls well, although shooting with any sort of accuracy is impossible until you level up a few times. The first couple of hours will feel like you have a vibrator attached to all your guns. And the guns. There's so many of them. Too many to tell you the truth. And that's one of the main problems. A shooter should be about shooting, not inventory management and comparing statistics. I miss the days when there were no more than 10 guns in a game. Looking for a good story? Look elsewhere. Like the first Borderlands, you'll find yourself doing non-stop fetch quests. I assume they have something to do with the story, but I couldn't be bothered to care. Something about vaults and vault-hunters. Some guy named Handsome Jack that wants to hog all the glory and riches for himself and sets out to stop you. Not sure where you and your party came from, but who cares. There's loot to be found. In summary, if you enjoyed the first Borderlands then you'll like this one as much, maybe a little bit more. If you didn't like the first one, stay away. This is pretty much more of the same. If you're new to the series, I'd suggest renting first. Expand
  14. Feb 4, 2013
    If this game is a crowd pleaser then I suggest that the crowd has confused fun for addictiveness. The game is loaded with Skinner box techniques designed to keep you playing, but the gameplay itself is weak and poorly designed. The humor is mediocre and the plot is atrocious. This game is much cheaper now, so think about picking it up for 30 bucks, as I did. That price is much more in lineIf this game is a crowd pleaser then I suggest that the crowd has confused fun for addictiveness. The game is loaded with Skinner box techniques designed to keep you playing, but the gameplay itself is weak and poorly designed. The humor is mediocre and the plot is atrocious. This game is much cheaper now, so think about picking it up for 30 bucks, as I did. That price is much more in line with its actual quality. Expand
  15. Oct 12, 2012
    Let me start by saying I LOVED #1. I'm trying to love #2 but i can't. It's so repetitive and same thing over and over.

I didn't finish it and not sure i will -Game was fun but got boring quickly.
    This review was for single player only, as i never go on-line.
  16. Oct 8, 2012
    As a fan of the original Borderlands, this was the game I was looking forward to ever since it was announced, I had high expectations, but at the same time knew certain key features would remain the same, because why fix what is broken?

After finishing the game twice 100+ hours played, I can honestly say, the thing that people need to understand is that they did NOT improve on everything from the original. In some cases they straight up downgraded the game. I mean sure, in the aspects you expect it to, they improved the game slightly, multiplayer is better intigrated, graphics are slightly (very slightly) improved, menus, etc. But not the stuff that was truly important. Let me ask you this: When you say Borderlands, what are the 3 things that come to mind? Graphics, Popculture refrences and Story? No? Right the correct answer is Co-Op, Guns, Fun, and they failed all 3 of those aspects of the game. Lets start with with what I think is the most important thing about Borderlands is finding new and exciting new guns that are better then the one you were using previously, same as games like Diablo, but they failed big time in that aspect, where in the original Borderlands Loot chests were common, and finding epic and legendary weapons were relatively common, they are definitely not this time around, Weapon chests are usually filled with junk this time around, and I can honestly say I found maybe 10 epic/orange guns in total, totally lacking, but that isnt even the worst part of it, the weapons themselfs never quite feel right, they always have a negative feel to it, either the recoil is too high, small clip, consumes too many bullets at once, no scope, etc. You will never, EVER find that perfect gun in this game (again unlike Borderlands 1, where that was easily possible), there are severe limitations to weapons now. The weapon manufactures always dictate the weapon stats and thereby the 87 billion gun argument is gone down the drain.

The second argument is co-op, it doesnt work well this time around because again the most important thing is gone. In the first Borderlands the character talent trees were made specifically for certain weapon types, modecai was a sniper/handgun guy, roland was assault rifles/shotguns, lilith was SMGs, etc, It was further encouraged in the first game to stick to certain weapon types by giving experience to weapon types. When you leveled up, say, assault rifles, you'd get more weapon damage, faster reload speed and less recoil. they threw that all out of the window so that everyone can be good at each weapon type, which is good in theory but it means sharing is impossible, who wants that sniper rifle? Everyone. Who wants that shotgun? Everyone, who wants that SMG? Everyone. Not a good design decision.

The last thing I found severely lacking was the writing, especially the main story missions. The humor just wasnt there for me. Poorly done internet memes and pop culture refrences constantly. Every once in a while you get a good laugh in a side quest, perhaps, but the jokes, generally arent as fun this time around.

I feel they focuses too much on aspects of the game that didnt make the original great, and limited the ones that did matter. 6/10, not a trainwreck, but not exciting either. Definitely not GOTY material.
  17. May 6, 2013
    Borderlands 2 has a lot of great qualities that make it a great game. It's just disappointing that the small things end up hurting it. The main story takes 15 to 20 hours to beat and you MAY want to replay it. The use of the word may is highlighted, because I didn't feel propelled to take another run through the game. The True Vault Hunter mode basically bumps up the difficulty and left aBorderlands 2 has a lot of great qualities that make it a great game. It's just disappointing that the small things end up hurting it. The main story takes 15 to 20 hours to beat and you MAY want to replay it. The use of the word may is highlighted, because I didn't feel propelled to take another run through the game. The True Vault Hunter mode basically bumps up the difficulty and left a lot to be desired to the point that I just got bored and quit. The randomly generated weapons are seriously cool, but tend to lack character and personality, making a lot of the firearms you'll utilize forgettable. The multiple playthroughs don't feel satisfying and only provides a slightly harder challenge. In the technical department, the game suffers from seriously ugly texture pop-up, probably at the fault of the Unreal Engine. The sound isn't very much to marvel at and the voice acting is pretty inconsistent. The script is pretty well done and I laughed a ton at the ironic humor that they throw in there. The memes and pop culture references are pretty unnecessary though and will probably make the game feel less timeless in the future. The reason I am giving this game a 7 is because of the randomly generated weapons and the humor. It's not to mention that the game is just a joy to play through a couple times, if you feel obligated to. Expand
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    This game started out fun but became a boring, chore-like slog to me about 1/3 of the way through. I became bored so I started playing co-op instead. Co-op sucks in public because people just run through the levels not taking time at all and forcing the game play, skipping things, etc.

None of my friends play this game so I quickly became bored, stopped playing, and uninstalled. I didn't really like the whole satanic vibe that the game has. This might be a strange thing to point out, but it something about the game felt evil and corrupting. Uninstalled from my Xbox.
  19. Nov 3, 2012
    • Borderlands 2 is a game where you run around an open environment while shooting all manner of crazy creature, robot and bandit in the face and collecting the various items that pop out of them so that you can then take on larger more powerful creatures for even better loot.
    • Frequently well executed humor but relies heavily on geek culture references and juvenile jokes that struggle to be heard over gunfire and other NPC conversations.
    • A horrible "walk here, now here, now kill this then walk over there" quest system made worse by a poor map and tracking system.
    • A heavy co-op focus that includes such enemies as the guy with the shield that needs to be flanked.
    • While still arguably the best RPG loot grab / first person hybrid game, there is a clear sense of trying to do more than the first and failing to execute on some otherwise great ideas but it is still a great time to be had by a group of friends.
  20. Jul 3, 2013
    I really liked the first borderlands (maybe more). had been excited ever since hearing about the release of borderlands 2. defiantly not let down, if you like borderlands you will more than likely love this one also. the only reason I gave it a 7 instead of 10 is because playing solo is VERY hard. the creators have admitted its meant to be played as a team..I like playing alone. If you areI really liked the first borderlands (maybe more). had been excited ever since hearing about the release of borderlands 2. defiantly not let down, if you like borderlands you will more than likely love this one also. the only reason I gave it a 7 instead of 10 is because playing solo is VERY hard. the creators have admitted its meant to be played as a team..I like playing alone. If you are playing alone you will have to get used to responding and losing a lot of money. I played the first one multiple times with multiple characters and rarely died so I don't believe its me. overall would recommend it but just want people to know it will probably be better if you have friends that are willing to play a lot with you. Collapse
  21. Nov 30, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is a long tedious game, with cheap deaths, and gameplay that gets stale after the first twenty hours, and bad driving physics. The game is long, and tedious because leveling up takes forever. You have to get tons of experience to level up, and to add insult to injury you can't even buy skill points until you are level 10. Finding your way around the maps takes forever thanksBorderlands 2 is a long tedious game, with cheap deaths, and gameplay that gets stale after the first twenty hours, and bad driving physics. The game is long, and tedious because leveling up takes forever. You have to get tons of experience to level up, and to add insult to injury you can't even buy skill points until you are level 10. Finding your way around the maps takes forever thanks to bad level design; you'll spend a lot of time wandering around aimlessly like a rate in a maze. Another thing which makes the game so long and boring is that the fast travel system is badly designed. There aren't enough teleport stations to help you get around quickly enough. I found myself on loooong trecks to teleport stations way too often. Once you level up to a certian point old lower level enemies reward you almost no exp, but they can still kill you quite easily. The result is trekking through annoying enemies in order to get to where you are going. The deaths in this game are very cheap, due to boss enemies being able to instakill you at times. You can die for trivial reasons such as accidentally wandering into a zone that the gamedesigners didn't want you to go. On the other hand you take no falling damage, and you can apparently walk on water. Dying doesn't have too many consequences other than respawning, being taunted by the game, and being forced to walk a long distance to restart the mission you were on. Dying to a boss that can instakill you with one or two mortar shots, and running back to fight that boss, over and over agian is boring as hell. The driving physics are just bad in this game. Expect to get caught on a rock or two, or just ram into a small tree and be forced to right yourself. The game has good points such as humor, and decent gunplay, but overall this is an annoying grindfest, full of dying over and over. Expand
  22. Dec 2, 2012
    I liked this game, but not as much as the first even though this is vastly superior. The story and set up is intriguing right from the get go but as soon as you start you realize that its far far more linear. Its really just go do this, bring me that or kill me this many creatures for the first few hours. This isn't always a bad thing because you get a feel a for the game, the controls,I liked this game, but not as much as the first even though this is vastly superior. The story and set up is intriguing right from the get go but as soon as you start you realize that its far far more linear. Its really just go do this, bring me that or kill me this many creatures for the first few hours. This isn't always a bad thing because you get a feel a for the game, the controls, the combat disciplines. The problems start with the difference with side quests and main quests. If you do all the quests you become way too powerful but if you only do main then be prepared to grind bullymongs for a while. Then more problems come with the scaling enemies, oh you like that beautiful piece of kit you just found? Well don't get too attached to it because its gonna be replaced by something twice as better to help you deal with the equal enemies. I know that you level up and gain access to more skills and perks but it really doesn't feel like its getting easier. Boss battles are another gripe, normally grinding beforehand lets you just smack them or hiding and exploiting cover allows you to just ping them down if you're lazy. Everything else is a plus though: the feel and aesthetics of the guns, the difference in companies, the locations, the stories of the characters and the graphics. Unfortunately this doesn't save this game for me from the infuriating mechanics of not feeling like your progressing in terms of strength, the constant replacing and cold detachment to your equipment and weapons and the easy for boss battles. Its good and its a lot of fun to play with friends online or splitscreen but all in all I'd rather play something where feel I feel a bit more connected with the games lore and universe . Expand
  23. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is overrated. The art design, gameplay (with friends), unique weapons and voice actors are good, I can't deny that. But however, the story became predictable and following the storyline became difficult. This is a game were some minor cutscenes are required to develop the characters and tell the story. Also, the map or 'areas' are extremely bland. A large wasteland of ice orThis game is overrated. The art design, gameplay (with friends), unique weapons and voice actors are good, I can't deny that. But however, the story became predictable and following the storyline became difficult. This is a game were some minor cutscenes are required to develop the characters and tell the story. Also, the map or 'areas' are extremely bland. A large wasteland of ice or sand. Move through until you find a camp were enemies will spawn. Repeat. Also when you are playing with your friends, one person cannot play without the others at any time unless they create a different character. If you level higher than your friends and play the game with them, they will be up against enemies that are much harder then their usual enemies leaving the 1 higher level person to do all the fighting while gaining almost no XP or good loot for themself. It sounds OK in theory but in-game it does not work. Looting is fun but I found I never seemed to wield an adequate weapon for the level I had attained even after finding large chests during high level quests. The skill tree is also incredibly tedious to go through. Gaining 1 skill point per level and needing approx 5 points in a skill to unlock further down the tree takes a long time while only gaining small bonus's. The enemies are quite well designed but they become repetitive when you are reaching the end of the game (+ side quests). There will be the basic bandits + the "badass ones" and the same goes for most of the monsters / enemies. Although the Hyperion bots did have a lot of diversity in weaponry they were NOT unique most of the time. This game was fun for the first half but by the end I just wanted to finish the game and get it over with. You feel no need to want to play this game again after finishing it so I don't believe it's worth the $70 price stamp here in Australia. I won't be buying the DLC. If you like co-op games like Left 4 Dead were you run around shooting the crap out of things with your mates and progressing through the bland story (not saying that's a bad thing) then pick this game up. if you prefer more developed characters and story line with interesting and unique levels then I would think twice and investigate further before buying this game. -emplex Expand
  24. Jul 2, 2013
    If I had to judge Borderlands 2 after buying full price (59$ at release) I'd given it a heartfelt kick up it a** for being yet another game masquerading minor updates and added storyline as a sequel...
    Had it been a movie, a book, a whatever, then sequel would be a fitting title, but as gamers we demand substantial change when someone asks for a lot of cash from us who loved the first game...

So, I bought it for $5, and that's what it's worth (if you've played the first)....nothing New...
  25. Feb 16, 2014
    Very fun to play with friends, and a cast of interesting characters to enjoy. but the gameplay feels very bland at times.

One of the things I liked in the first Borderlands was the option to select a type of gun rather than just choosing the newest gun you have that has higher stats. I'd prefer rifles over sub machine guns so even if I found a subgun that was technically better than the rifles I would have, I'd still manage with a rifle instead. In ramping up everything, it feels like Gearbox tweaked the engine to the point that regardless of what the gun is, (sniper rifle, submachine gun, pistol) or who makes the gun, all of it becomes a mute point to the stats.

This change made me feel like I was in an impossible spiral of downgrading my guns for technically better ones I didn't like to use. Even though they were better, statistically, they still felt like I had to consistently switch my loadout every level or so just to keep up with the exponential difficulty curve. The guns company brand and types became increasingly irrelevant with a slight exception to be made for elemental effect specialties.

Another criticism I have, that is largely irrelevant to the target audience Borderlands 2 serves, is that you are basically just a tag-along as far as the story is concerned. Borderlands 2 isn't your story, it's the players' from the first Borderlands story. Old characters make a reappearance as NPCs, and once they arrive then you become little more than an assistant to their direction. The game doesn't make the player feel like they're the focus of the story, with characters talking more to each other and themselves than you or your party.

All that said, the game is still fun to play with friends of a similar level. The strong focus on outright statistics in the game mechanics makes it very easy to balance and adjust for parties. Easy to recommended to fans of Borderlands and anyone who wants a colorful or different shooter to contrast with the realistic modern style FPS games out there, but not one to suggest to a friend who is looking for depth or someone not familiar with gaming in general.
  26. Jan 11, 2013
    Let me preface by saying I have played both BL1 and BL2 extensively and played through all available DLC as well. My review will consist of 10 positives and 10 negatives aspects of the game to establish what works and what doesn't.

PROS: 1) Graphics are much improved over BL1. Also very little texture popping or rendering issues. 2) Environments are more varied and colorful. 3)

PROS:
    2) Environments are more varied and colorful.
    3) Good plot with storytelling elements that really add to the game.
    4) UI is much improved and easier to manage inventory and compare items on the fly.
    5) Creative enemies and bosses with back-stories.
    6) Good variety of characters to choose from, each with very different playstyles.
    7) DLC thus far has been fairly solid.
    8) Plenty of side-missions, easter eggs, collectibles, etc to keep players busy.
    9) Addition of bank and secret stash system is very useful.
    10) Generally more refined gameplay experience.

CONS:
    1) No health packs - really punishes players who play aggressively.
    2) Gun upgrade system replacde by bad-ass tokens which are inferior.
    3) Loot drops are EXTREMELY low for rare items.
    4) Solo players are punished for playing solo. 5) New Second Wind system is not fun and repeated Second Winds mean almost instant death.
    6) Gun and other loot feel lackluster.
    7) Level scaling doesn't always make sense. Enemies 5 levels lower can sometimes wreck you.
    8) "Invincible" bosses are frustrating and drop bad loot.
    9) Game is too gun-centric. You will have a very hard time in the upper levels without the rarest guns.
    10) Gearbox is patching things that made the game fun, and not fixing major problems like lost characters saves and lost bad-ass ranks.

So all in all, as an avid player of both games, I would argue that well the game is pretty and the story good, they removed quite a few of the elements from BL1 that made the experience so enjoyable in the first place. I am not saying make the game easier, but the removal of the gun skills from BL1 was a big disappointment to me. I want my character to be a bad-ass that can be stealthy or destroy hordes of enemies. I don't want to be hiding and trying not to die every time I encounter a group of enemies. If I want the game to be hard, let me decide that. I hope maybe some of these things would be taken into consideration for future DLC or the inevitable BL3!
  27. Nov 5, 2012
    An incredibly juvenile adventure which gets old real fast. By gritting my teeth I made it to level 15, but by then I was too bored of the variable difficulty curve, running out of ammo despite being conservative with it, the terribly poor vehicles (halo warthog's were better), the uninspiring environments, the jaggies and graphic design and..OMG.. the head bashing weapon randomiserAn incredibly juvenile adventure which gets old real fast. By gritting my teeth I made it to level 15, but by then I was too bored of the variable difficulty curve, running out of ammo despite being conservative with it, the terribly poor vehicles (halo warthog's were better), the uninspiring environments, the jaggies and graphic design and..OMG.. the head bashing weapon randomiser comparision engine. It beggars belief that others actually finished this lame turkey and would actually pony up for the DLC. If the game was composed of the first 20 minutes being repeated for 20 hours, I don't think anyone would notice. Expand
  28. Oct 8, 2012
    This is... a terribly decent first person shooter. However, the biggest problem with this game is that I already played Borderlands 1, and the game knows that Borderlands 1 existed. It brings in many of the older characters, including the playable characters, and I got some bonuses for having played Borderlands 1. But, Borderlands 1 had a problem - repetition. And, Borderlands 2 fallsThis is... a terribly decent first person shooter. However, the biggest problem with this game is that I already played Borderlands 1, and the game knows that Borderlands 1 existed. It brings in many of the older characters, including the playable characters, and I got some bonuses for having played Borderlands 1. But, Borderlands 1 had a problem - repetition. And, Borderlands 2 falls into the same problem. More so then the first 1 because there is literally nothing new for a player. What do we get as bonus? More weapons, more enemies, and more annoying claptraps. The same old game, just reiterated and polished. It's like a guy who says something interesting, you think about it a bit and say "hey, that's a good idea," and then a week later the same guy comes over, and says the same thing, but worded better. We get it, you have a good idea. Don't repeat yourself endlessly, just better. Go ahead and try something new. Try something that questions the industry. Something like Borderlands 1. Do something bigger and better and completely and utterly insane. Because Borderlands 2 is sad because 1 was so successful and such a risk, and Borderlands 2 says "Hey, we were successful, let's just do it again, and we'll be successful." These risks, you have to take them. Sure, I'd recommend 2 over 1, but what would I call a better game? 1, because it took a risk. Borderlands 1 is like jumping into a lake and seeing if there's piranhas in it. And luckily, there wasn't any. But Borderlands 2 jumps into the same lake. 1 already said that it was safe, how about you try something new 2. I hope this doesn't start to stagnate, because this is a great IP that could, and I hope, evolve and challenge the industry it is in. But right now, it will stay still, and fester. And if we don't try something new, then this will become the new CoD, prettier, but the same. Expand
  29. Oct 14, 2012
    I am not the most ardent FPS playing out there. I do not enjoy most FPS games and generally find them lacking. I tried borderlands 2 because it was supposed to be an action rpg/fps. I found that the action rpg side of the game was very lacking. The weapons were bad in general. Little i found was of use. The beginning of the game was just an excuse for self flagellation. I felt miserableI am not the most ardent FPS playing out there. I do not enjoy most FPS games and generally find them lacking. I tried borderlands 2 because it was supposed to be an action rpg/fps. I found that the action rpg side of the game was very lacking. The weapons were bad in general. Little i found was of use. The beginning of the game was just an excuse for self flagellation. I felt miserable and forced my way through the first few hours of the game hoping it would get better as i actually got my action skill and started spending points on other things, but it never really got much better for me. I don't understand why I was forced to wait 5 levels to get the only key difference between the classes. Expand
  30. Jan 22, 2013
    In order to like it, you have to appreciate the comedic moments in it, and all the jokes that come with it. Overall, i loved playing it, and I believe that it is quite challenging to tackle alone. You will not get bored easily with that game, and you would want to play it over again more than one time. I do, however, wish that more people could join a game instead of a 4-player co-op.In order to like it, you have to appreciate the comedic moments in it, and all the jokes that come with it. Overall, i loved playing it, and I believe that it is quite challenging to tackle alone. You will not get bored easily with that game, and you would want to play it over again more than one time. I do, however, wish that more people could join a game instead of a 4-player co-op. Or it could be like an MMORPG, where everyone would be in one huge server and roam the area with random people, possibly making friends in the process. Idk, it seems like a good idea... Expand
  31. Apr 18, 2013
    Borderlands 2 is little more than Borderlands 1 with new maps and a new story. Little innovation in a formula, that by itself was already unoriginal and somewhat boring. In Borderlands 1, about 2/3 of the game you would be getting tired of the combat, that is always the same from start to finish. Borderlands 2 is more of that. Only now the game is bigger so before you get halfway youBorderlands 2 is little more than Borderlands 1 with new maps and a new story. Little innovation in a formula, that by itself was already unoriginal and somewhat boring. In Borderlands 1, about 2/3 of the game you would be getting tired of the combat, that is always the same from start to finish. Borderlands 2 is more of that. Only now the game is bigger so before you get halfway you will start having that feeling. The gameplay is always the same from start to finish and (surprise!) it gets tiring. Sure it has lots of guns, but can you really call them different? 5 different "effects" to add to weapons, mostly visual, and weapons that change the skins but do mostly the same. Not enough to keep me focused until the end.
    All in all, if you loved the first Borderlands, chances are you will like this one too.
  32. Sep 18, 2012
    I loved Borderlands and all the expansion packs. The game had soul, and freedom of exploration without getting lost and frustrated. It was beautiful, like a backwoods, back yard tin can shoot with a banjo playing in the background. Borderlands 2 traded in the banjo for a slick new look, and an electric guitar. The new Borderlands is a fun game, but it is far from what it could haveI loved Borderlands and all the expansion packs. The game had soul, and freedom of exploration without getting lost and frustrated. It was beautiful, like a backwoods, back yard tin can shoot with a banjo playing in the background. Borderlands 2 traded in the banjo for a slick new look, and an electric guitar. The new Borderlands is a fun game, but it is far from what it could have been. Much like a glamorous action movie without character development, this one drops you into the action in such a way that if you look away from the action and the effects for even a moment, you will see that Borderlands has gone from a rich culture of trash and charm, to a wasteland with nothing but guns for their own sake. Expand
  33. Oct 29, 2012
    This game is fun and guaranty a long game play, but the at one point the it get difficulty to get nice weapons and other items and you need to kill over an over certain boss or enemies to see if you can get a good item. I dont want to farm like a mmorpg four hours to get the the best weapons in the game.
  34. Nov 2, 2012
    I have played this game offline till the end of the game. The story was great, the weapons feel amazing and there are a lot of different enemies. The best thing of the game is the voice acting and the interactions between friends and enemies. I was impressed and I was about to give this game a 8 or higher. But after I went online I lost my save.. and I was not happy with that. ThatsI have played this game offline till the end of the game. The story was great, the weapons feel amazing and there are a lot of different enemies. The best thing of the game is the voice acting and the interactions between friends and enemies. I was impressed and I was about to give this game a 8 or higher. But after I went online I lost my save.. and I was not happy with that. Thats something 2K needs to fix in the future! Expand
  35. Oct 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. BL2 is a solid game. Is it as good BL1 not really. BL2 is a little harder than the first but game play is the same just coming at you fast and furious in all directions at times. You will not set back and snipe everything and you will not run in with your shotgun one shoting everything in the face. Why cause the guns seem fairly week. This game is about guns and guns are randomly generated but it seems they are more strictly generated. In BL1 every once in a while a really awesome gun would drop that made you feel like a OP badass for a few levels. I never really got that awesome weapon in BL2 the gun always felt like just a few baby steps better than the last gun based on my level. I liked the Marcus gun vending machines in BL1 in BL2 the vending machines are worthless except to sell guns to. We got slot machines to randomly kick out weapons most of which are worthless though you have a chance to get a orange purple or blue gun but the ones I got weren't as good as green and white junk I already had. I just not sure why everyone is so happy with the skill changes badass points was a good idea but the character trees are meh at best. Axton is a remade Roland so he is probably the best class for solo. Gunzerker is ok nothing special really just average. Maya might be good later on once you get deep into her skill tree ,but maya is far better than Lilith. Zero is the character I have beat the game with both play throughs and I can say he gets better by the end ,but he still feels weak. Characters from BL1 were better more focused and fun than the characters in BL2. Back to guns revolvers in BL1 were fun and powerful some had scopes allowing you to snipe with them though they were far less accurate then a real sniper. I was hoping for more awesome revolvers and pistols ,but they mostly were worthless. I had 2 pistols that were good one had low damage really but it's bullets were homing and did acid damage. The other was like the mashers from BL1 as in it shot like a shotgun it was fun ,but just to weak to be of use. Machines guns seemed improved this time at first but soon they got to be crap cause they reload to slow and have small clips which means constant long reloads bad for second wind. Snipers can be awesome but the enemies are almost always moving now making sniping harder than it should be. Also sniping the head has a smaller tighter area for crits. Shotguns still one of the best weapons if you find a good one and if it has exploding damage. Rocket launchers pretty much same as in BL1 nothing really to say about them. I don't see how everyone thinks BL2 is more funny than BL1 cause it is not nearly as funny or even has as much character. The best character in BL2 is tiny tina that's it ok well scooter is the same but the others have no personality. Lets talk gore and adult language gore is down from the first game. BL1 you could snipe and blow a head off the body would stay standing for a sec with blood squirting out his neck. In BL1 you could regularly blow bandits and skags to chunky bits it was fairly normal in BL 2 it did happen but very rarely. The language was cleaned up and characters seems to try and correct or apologize for their cursing....WHY it has a M rating don't water it down kick that crap up a notch or two or give it a T rating if your going to pull back. I like the chatter from the bandits in BL1 it was funny in a silly immature way. The enemies in BL2 it was flat boring. Your not going to here one of my favorites ( I'm gonna rip your face off and say hi to your mom) it's sick when you think about it but makes me laugh out loud every time. I can't even think of a BL2 enemies saying to quote cause nothing is said to remember. Ok that my 2 cents of opinion. It's a good game worth the money it's just not as good as BL1 it doesn't have the charm and character or music of the first game it's random guns aren't as fun or as random. Maybe BL3 will strike the right mix of BL1 and BL2. Have fun people enjoy what you have today cause tomorrow you may have nothing. Expand
  36. Oct 16, 2012
    I completed borderlands 2's normal play through and i am now about half-way through true vault hunter mode. so i though it would be timed to put up my review. I really enjoyed the game overall. it has good graphics, lovable characters, a good leveling system, and a crap ton of guns. Not to mention a storyline that is vastly improved. On the other hand, everything from BL2 seems to beI completed borderlands 2's normal play through and i am now about half-way through true vault hunter mode. so i though it would be timed to put up my review. I really enjoyed the game overall. it has good graphics, lovable characters, a good leveling system, and a crap ton of guns. Not to mention a storyline that is vastly improved. On the other hand, everything from BL2 seems to be recycled from BL1. after 20 hours or so in game, everything starts to feel bin there done that, and kind of gets stale and boring. Even though looting is fun, 99.99% of the loot is worse than what you already have. its a real pain in the butt to find guns that are on par with your level. even then stores sell guns that are about 5 levels below me. i also find enemies scaling to be off, iv'e run into enemies that are 5 or 6 levels below me that can kill me with a few shots (doesn't sound right to me). Those issues aside, i think its time for Gearbox to allow players to create their own characters. The main playable characters have little to no back round or story, not to mention they are really just a re skinning of the characters from BL1. i would also like to have seen more outfits for each character. All the skins are just color swaps. Overall , the fun in BL2 can be quickly overshadowed by the childish (un-funny) humor, or some odd game design choices. Expand
  37. Jul 9, 2013
    I was a HUGE fan of the first game. In a review I would have given it 9.75 out of 10. And the bugs would have been the only thing keeping it from being a 10. This game is sub par. The gameplay can be fun at times, but there are regular enemies like Superbad Flame Threshers (i.e. NOT raid bosses) you fight in solo play that put you in FFYL in 1 hit and have more health than you can everI was a HUGE fan of the first game. In a review I would have given it 9.75 out of 10. And the bugs would have been the only thing keeping it from being a 10. This game is sub par. The gameplay can be fun at times, but there are regular enemies like Superbad Flame Threshers (i.e. NOT raid bosses) you fight in solo play that put you in FFYL in 1 hit and have more health than you can ever take, especially considering the FFYL timer is glitched and doesn't reset properly sometimes. I do like what they have done with character design. However having my inventory space cut in half is absolutely not fun at all. Inventory dumping every 5 minutes is terrible and repetitive. There is no ammo regen and the ammo capacities were lowered, making many ammo-hog guns worthless. The guns are kindergarten mockeries of what they were in the original, and several have been glitched to where they don't drop or are completely useless. (Cowboy Cannon) This is a level and loot game, and while they got the leveling right, the loot ruins it. And while everyone seems to rave about the story I have no Idea why. It's longer, not better. I love comedy when it is done right. I am a huge fan of Adult Swim and South Park. They are low-brow but brilliant and funny. This game is not. It tries constantly to be and usually fails. And the story is like some cheap pro-wrestling plot with the villain sneaking up from behind and getting away with dirty cheap tactics all the way till the end. Don't waste money on this sub par game. Go get the original if you haven't played it. If you have, wait till this one drops to the bargain bin. I'm very disappointed in Gearbox. I expected better. Expand
  38. Apr 14, 2013
    Compared to the first Borderlands not much has changed in this new instalment. It is a lot more story focused and it is easier to tell which gun belongs to which in game company but otherwise it's the same 4 guys running through the same scrapyards fighting the same mask wearing wierdos. If you really enjoyed the first I can recommend it as it's pretty much the same with a new paint job,Compared to the first Borderlands not much has changed in this new instalment. It is a lot more story focused and it is easier to tell which gun belongs to which in game company but otherwise it's the same 4 guys running through the same scrapyards fighting the same mask wearing wierdos. If you really enjoyed the first I can recommend it as it's pretty much the same with a new paint job, but if you were waiting for a sequel that was bigger and better I'd give it a miss. Expand
  39. Jul 3, 2013

1. Nov 10, 2012
    It may be a lot more of the same, but it's prettier, smoother, longer, and filled with more stuff.
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    In the end, I have to say that Borderlands 2 serves as a wonderful example of how to make a sequel work.
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    In conclusion, Borderlands 2 is a significant improvement on the original; it sharpens up the narrative, the core game progression, the visual theme and many other fundamental aspects that needed adjustment.