6.9

1. May 30, 2013
    After playing the original games on Ps2, I was so excited to try the new generation Burnout game...and wow what a downgrade! And the problems aren't many...but those few are so gigantic I just have no idea how they could have let it slip. For starters, this game is more open ended...which is so and so. The original games were just challenges that weren't on a big map and you had to chooseAfter playing the original games on Ps2, I was so excited to try the new generation Burnout game...and wow what a downgrade! And the problems aren't many...but those few are so gigantic I just have no idea how they could have let it slip. For starters, this game is more open ended...which is so and so. The original games were just challenges that weren't on a big map and you had to choose them from a menu; in here, you have to go on parts on your own, which is both cool and frustrating since you have to go "physically" there. There are secrets and stuff, but this is "NOT" GTA and if they really wanted to put something like that, at least give us some more "teleports". Second, the cars now are splitted into categories, which means they'll gather more boost in different ways, and also means different type of cars for each categories (duh!), which was something also in the original...in a way, because cars were restricted to the challenge. I don't think you'd wanna choose a truck into a speed race, and use a Formula 1 car in a crash challenge, so in the end the "freedom" of choosing is rather limited. But in reality, I could have passed all of this if it wasn't for the biggest flaw of all...the race itself. Burnout is basically an arcade racing game with basically a lot of speed and crash...but they completely destroyed this by removing the holographic rails, which means you'll OFTEN, if not ALWAYS, lose position because of a bad way!!! That means you HAVE to actually look at the street and actually "slow down" in order to win a race (or do it all over again a thousands time, so you know the way). In a Burnout game, "look at the street" and "slow down" weren't ever a big deal because it was always about speed and avoiding/destroying cars, and possibly check the roads if you could. Evolution is unavoidable, but this is a flatout downgrade since it basically removes all of the arcade elements of Burnout. And I have no idea if they can be added somehow or not, but I literally ragequitted before then, because I just couldn't win any race! Probably I suck at this game, but I definitely didn't back on the PS2 Burnout (especially Revenge). And so, I suggest to pick any of the older Burnout Franchise instead of this and enjoy maybe I'm not exactly clear on this game since I literally hate most of racing games and only Burnout managed to keep me interesting. But, considering that Burnout was my most favourite because of how fun it is, it was so sad to see the new generation Burnout being such a downgrade from a full arcade racing game based on accidents, to a semi-simulation and free roaming hybrid. At least for me. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2011
    I loved the old burnout series but then Criterion decided to go and make a need for speed clone instead of create another burnout 3 style game. The game in itself is not a bad game but they ruined the series for me taking it in this direction, hence the score from a disappointed former fan of the series.
  3. Dec 10, 2011
    This is how i will point flaws:

The good: Graphics. The bad: Everything else. Why: Ok first, this game is nothing like what the past games where. This one went all "racing" on us, instead of burnouts trademark crashes and takedowns. Second, while your driving, the game freezes at random spots so an imbred narrator can talk to you about the obvious. such as: "jump the ramps for points!".
    This is how i will point flaws:

The good: Graphics.

The bad: Everything else.

Why: Ok first, this game is nothing like what the past games where. This one went all "racing" on us, instead of burnouts trademark crashes and takedowns. Second, while your driving, the game freezes at random spots so an imbred narrator can talk to you about the obvious. such as: "jump the ramps for points!". OK CAPTAIN OBVIOUS. This game is junk. I want my money back. Burnout 1-3 was good. The rest, nope. Did i mention the game is lifeless? Its so unreal its not even funny! So, you look into your car or others, and noone is there. Ghost car? And nobody walks on the street. This game is horrible.
  4. Dec 20, 2011
    This used to be a good game, i liked all of the previous series but after paradise i said goodbye to the series. Probably everyone did, considered the fact they're now doing Need for speed.. If you like burnout, you might not like paradise.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    This game isnt even burnout its just some stupid sh1t that tries to be a game but isn't there arent many things good about this game and its too different then the other burnouts
  6. Apr 21, 2014
    It would have been a good game if they took the irritating crash cams out. They're not pretty, nobody likes them, they just stop me from playing the game. It doesn't handle jumps good, how the hell can my car be perfectly straight, when two of my wheels definetly went on the higher part of the ramp, and 4 of my wheels don't fit on it? You can't retry events easily, would it have been thatIt would have been a good game if they took the irritating crash cams out. They're not pretty, nobody likes them, they just stop me from playing the game. It doesn't handle jumps good, how the hell can my car be perfectly straight, when two of my wheels definetly went on the higher part of the ramp, and 4 of my wheels don't fit on it? You can't retry events easily, would it have been that hard to put a retry button in there. Annyoing piece of **** Expand

1. With its new and open structure, it can be a shock at the beginning. But the gameplay is as addictive as ever and with its vertiginous speed, excellent framerate and, mainly, the new online multiplayer, the new Burnout is still a great game for any arcade racing fan. [Jan 2008]
  2. As someone who's closely followed Criterion's racing series for the last seven years, it warms my heart to see it evolve into something as innovative, satisfying, and polished as Paradise. [Feb 2008, p.74]
  3. What's here is nothing short of amazing, but I can't help but wonder what could have been. [Feb 2008, p.94]