8.4

1. Mar 27, 2015
    This game is a classic. a must-own. The multiplayer is brilliant and addictive. The singleplayer has the best story and most memorable missions in a Call of Duty game. The only reason i'm giving this a 9 is because it may be a little bit outdated from the other Call of duty multiplayers nowadays. But at it's release in 2007 everyone would've have given it a 10. It's still a masterpiece inThis game is a classic. a must-own. The multiplayer is brilliant and addictive. The singleplayer has the best story and most memorable missions in a Call of Duty game. The only reason i'm giving this a 9 is because it may be a little bit outdated from the other Call of duty multiplayers nowadays. But at it's release in 2007 everyone would've have given it a 10. It's still a masterpiece in many others opinion including mine. Expand
  2. Jan 20, 2015
    split screen or single player are both fun even if i get beet by someone who is new at this i mean really it is surprising that a new person like that can beet you at your own game that you been playing longer than her
  3. Jan 4, 2015
    It was the start of one of the best series of games ever. COD: 1, 2, and 3 were the first games in the series although this game was the first that got people to buy the game. If you didn't ever own it but thought about buying it you probably should of bought it. Then once people heard about MW2 and people bought thought it was the start of one the best game series ever.
  4. Dec 12, 2014
    This game is insanely overrated. I'm only focusing on the single-player as I generally don't care for multiplayer. The mission structure was boring. The format, after finishing the first three games, has grown repetitive. But the most infuriatingly over-praised aspect is the story. Maybe if had not been executed in such a bland way with absolutely no personality there could have beenThis game is insanely overrated. I'm only focusing on the single-player as I generally don't care for multiplayer. The mission structure was boring. The format, after finishing the first three games, has grown repetitive. But the most infuriatingly over-praised aspect is the story. Maybe if had not been executed in such a bland way with absolutely no personality there could have been something memorable. But, sadly we were left with this trash Expand
  5. Dec 6, 2014
    Astounding at the time, yet it still holds up in the present as a game of pedigree. Call of Duty 4 was revolutionary when released. The story was gripping but it was the time sucking online multiplayer that stole our hearts. If the online servers were still policed today it may still have offered the best multiplayer experience.
  6. Nov 20, 2014
    I played this quite a lot back in it's heyday. Singleplayer never held my interest but the multiplayer obviously started a COD chain reaction that may never die. They have made many improvements but also missteps since COD4. I will give this an 8/10 it will always be a classic.
  7. Nov 2, 2014
    The CoD game that launched the franchise into the stratosphere. The campaign was incredible - better than some summer blockbusters. What else can be said about the multiplayer? This was lightning in a bottle, and has been the standard by which we judge all future CoD games. CoD4 was the best game of the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation, and I will cherish the memories I have and the friends IThe CoD game that launched the franchise into the stratosphere. The campaign was incredible - better than some summer blockbusters. What else can be said about the multiplayer? This was lightning in a bottle, and has been the standard by which we judge all future CoD games. CoD4 was the best game of the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation, and I will cherish the memories I have and the friends I made playing that game. It is the gold standard, and it is missed. Expand
  8. Oct 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 9.5 out of 10 (rounded up to 10).

Call of Duty is the definitive videogame cash cow. It is basically the Micheal Bay of gaming. There are plenty of explosions, the budgets are gigantic, they make a tonne of revenue and most importantly, they haven't really innovated in 2 years. Most of these claims can be laid at the feet of the game that started it all: Modern Warfare. In all fairness, I doubt Infinity Ward even thought about the large amount of sequels that could potentially follow this game. After all, everybody thought that a modern shooter wouldn't work- that it would fall apart after so many games spent in WWII. That never happened.

The single player campaign of MW popularised the approach to turn FPS narratives into globe trotting linear levels, that go through dozens of set pieces in less than 6 hours. Off course, this is the real negative of the game. The plot can't sustain pace all too well and so you'll have this wrapped up in one really long session. But that doesn't mean it sucks. The bombastic campaign is set piece after set piece, with an epic ship infiltration, a tank driving sequence and a kinetic car chase all making the cut. Of course there is also the iconic "All Ghillied Up" Sniper level which sees you sneaking through an abandoned city with one ally and plenty of soldiers after you. It is still the greatest FPS level of all time. The levels aren't open at all with funnelled corridors making for the most interesting environnments, but this linearity suits the game. It has been criticised for this in more recent entries.

The story is one of the best in COD history, as a mysterious Russian villain begins to cause widespread havoc, even though the instantly likeable Captain Price thought he had assassinated him years ago. You take the role of John "Soap" Mactavish, a new recruit who just wants to prove himself. Multiple twists and turns are taken and the use of multiple roles (even if Soap is the main character), helps to flesh out the story. A particular level uses the first-person perspective in a genuinely disturbing way. The killing of certain characters also helps the player to develop a strong emotional feeling, even if this is the first installment.

The game is designed with a high level of replayability in mind. There are multiple difficulty levels and an addictive Arcade mode. In fact, the epilogue level of the game that comes after the credits is probably one of the most replayable levels in gaming history. The campaign is so inviting that you will want to go back and play through it again. The short length is certainly a detractor, but collectibles and achievements certainly add more time to the experience. But enough about single player, because multiplayer is the main attraction of Modern Warfare.

The modes are excellent. From Team Deathmatch to Capture the Flag, there is a wide range of variety on offer. This means that investing hours into the mode won't get repetitive like it does in other shooters. The maps are fairly large, but certain ones are designed to be tiny. The close quarters feel is what makes the COD MP so unique and that is firmly established here. The ship map that is ripped from the campaign is a particular campaign, but most of them are instant classics and the DLC helps to increase the amount of environments on offer. It may not be as dynamic as Battlefield, but it certainly is more polished and more approachable. The slick gunplay and easy control scheme are perfectly suited to the game. This is further advanced by the quick use of gadgets and the fast switching- this may seem like a small compliment in these days, but back 7 years ago, it was revolutionary. So was the levelling system and the constant influx of new weapons and gear. It plays out like an RPG online and that is truly an amazing advancement. THe scoresteaks and perks are fairly outlandish in such a grounded setting, but they still work to make this an unpredictable and exhilarating experience.

So Modern Warfare is responsible for plenty of annoying things. Short campaign. Check. Lack of open choice and environments. Check. Campers. Check. Twelve-year olds with screechy voices. Check. Yep, this popularised pretty much what everyone hates about the genre. If you look past its damaging legacy and embrace it for what it is, you'll get the third best Call of Duty out, just behind BLOPSII and MW2- but that's my opinion.
  9. Sep 27, 2014
    Literally the best FPS I've ever played, nostalgia goggles on or off. It's a shame it's not supported for online. Would love to see a redux version for next gen consoles
  10. Sep 27, 2014
    Call of Duty 4 is an excellent shooter with a memorable story and a multiplayer that has an incredible replay value. CoD 4 was the first game I've played in the series back in 2010 and I've been playing CoD ever since.The story is great along with awesome and in depth characters. Today, most CoD players don't even play the game for its story. But, I highly recommend playing CoD 4 'sCall of Duty 4 is an excellent shooter with a memorable story and a multiplayer that has an incredible replay value. CoD 4 was the first game I've played in the series back in 2010 and I've been playing CoD ever since.The story is great along with awesome and in depth characters. Today, most CoD players don't even play the game for its story. But, I highly recommend playing CoD 4 's campaign as it's unforgettable experience coming from a first person shooter. As for the multiplayer, it's addicting as any other CoD except this CoD will more simpler in terms of perks, kill streaks, etc. But it still has the CoD formula that we all love to play. S , I give this game a 10 out of 10 and highly recommend it to any COD or fps players. Expand
  11. Sep 20, 2014
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is one of my most favourite shooters. This is the first Call of Duty to depart from the World War II era and now takes place in "Modern Warfare." The campaign is very fun with exhilarating missions, the story is compelling, the characters have great personalities, and the environment is excellent. And then the multiplayer is absolutely amazing. I've spent soCall of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is one of my most favourite shooters. This is the first Call of Duty to depart from the World War II era and now takes place in "Modern Warfare." The campaign is very fun with exhilarating missions, the story is compelling, the characters have great personalities, and the environment is excellent. And then the multiplayer is absolutely amazing. I've spent so many hours just on the online part. The leveling system works really well, the maps are all fantastic, and the game modes are really fun to play. Call of Duty 4 is a must play shooter and it's a must play. Expand
  12. Sep 12, 2014
    best game ever made on console. its truly sad where this franchise has went. totally down the toilet with activision pumping and dumping games with the cod name on it just to make profit as fast as they can. truly shameful. long live cod 4.
  13. Sep 4, 2014
    The good old times of CoD. Has a nice Multiplayer and the Campaign is just wonderful. I can totally recommend this game to everyone who likes CoD. This is one of the best Parts.
  14. Aug 26, 2014
    i used to love call of duty games because i enjoyed working to unlock all the perks. but every time i play online, someone somehow unlocks all the weapons/perks/EVERYTHING within hours. i on cod4mw, it took less than three hours for someone to ruin it for me AGAIN! just like in mw2 and codwaw and mw3... i'm never buying these games again as i don't even get to enjoy the challenge ofi used to love call of duty games because i enjoyed working to unlock all the perks. but every time i play online, someone somehow unlocks all the weapons/perks/EVERYTHING within hours. i on cod4mw, it took less than three hours for someone to ruin it for me AGAIN! just like in mw2 and codwaw and mw3... i'm never buying these games again as i don't even get to enjoy the challenge of progressing anymore. Expand
  15. Jul 14, 2014
    In my opinion this is the best call of duty game and nothing can beat this game. Campaign is really fun with and without cheat codes. It's short but it's multiplayer makes up for the short campaign. Multiplayer has a variety of weapons and perks to choose from.
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    Probably the best CoD there is.. this game is the least frustrating call of duty out. Maps, perks and guns are perfect and no overpowered ks, guns RC cars
  17. Jun 26, 2014
    Honestly I couldn't even pick this one out of the billion entries of this series if they were in a line-up, and I only played 2 of the series. Smooth controls.... it's a shooter with a bunch of pricks playing online and some kind of ridiculous story for the 40 minute, linear campaign. I guess it was fun enough.
  18. Jun 21, 2014
    This game, defined the next generation of FPSs with a sharp plot delivered with high octane action. This is how war games are meant to be made, and played. Missions like war pig and game over have crystallized in my mind as some of the greatest missions. Ever. 9/10.
  19. Mar 11, 2014
    This was, by far, the best FPS shooter ever released. This was truly Call of Duty's best game. It was so simple, yet SO great. It had flaws, good flaws that made a game fun. You know, fun, the f word that didn't make you scream. It was the PERFECT game. If I was rich. I would take this game, upgrade the graphics, and release it again.
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    The game is amazing and here is why. The campaign is very memorable, very fun, challenging, pretty long, but overall amazing. The multiplayer? The best in the entire CoD series. It's fun and very refreshing for it's time. It's very well balanced, and addicting. It introduces several new features into the series. Features such as killsteaks, Create-A-Class, Challenges, 18 players gameThe game is amazing and here is why. The campaign is very memorable, very fun, challenging, pretty long, but overall amazing. The multiplayer? The best in the entire CoD series. It's fun and very refreshing for it's time. It's very well balanced, and addicting. It introduces several new features into the series. Features such as killsteaks, Create-A-Class, Challenges, 18 players game modes, perks, knife melee, etc. Overall, the best CoD game of all time, and one the best shooters to date. Easily a 10/10. Expand
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    A solid and entertaining experience, I came to the game too late to get anything from the multiplayer experience but the campaign itself was very entertaining and the story arc plays well across the three MW games. Graphics, gunplay and immersion still hold strong even today whilst many games of this period have quickly aged and flagged.
  22. Jan 18, 2014
    This is one of the hardest games to review this generation for many reasons. Let me start by saying I get my competitive online multiplayer shooter itch scratched by Halo and my co-op/modern military multiplayer shooter needs filled by Rainbow 6, so I found COD's online offerings a little dull and the community full of pricks so that wins it no points. The first time I played through COD IThis is one of the hardest games to review this generation for many reasons. Let me start by saying I get my competitive online multiplayer shooter itch scratched by Halo and my co-op/modern military multiplayer shooter needs filled by Rainbow 6, so I found COD's online offerings a little dull and the community full of pricks so that wins it no points. The first time I played through COD I found it very entertaining but the forced set pieces and crap AI made it feel like an expensive ghost train with no ghosts, the characters where rubbish and the story pointless. However this game started the trend of the shock moment in COD games and in this one it was executed perfectly, the part where the player is caught in an atomic blast is one of the best and most memorable moments in gaming history, the blast was so great it managed to kill COD as the series has gone downhill since that very moment, even this game couldn't be arsed to compete with it as it just kind of ended a little bit later when I believe the atomic blast would have been a perfect ending to the game. With all this in account the game scored a 6 but the price it was, compared to the length of the game, knocks a point off to 5. I mean the game is less than 6 hours long which no one should be paying full price for. Which gets me to the point where Modern Warfare gains a 4, just like gears of war I have to look at the legacy that COD left us, it's a giant seller and because of this other games try to copy it's selling points so this is another game that helped flood the market with generic brown cover based shooters. COD also saw the raise in sales of **** DLC and micro transactions off the success of this game. Expand
  23. Jan 2, 2014
    This game revolutionized the world of first-person shooters. The advanced gameplay, mechanics, and graphics were the first of its kind for the FPS. The elements of the game still inspire developers to this day. Some say this game was inspired by Half-Life 2 in some ways, for me it's a great game in general. There were so low and hard points to the main story. For the most part, theThis game revolutionized the world of first-person shooters. The advanced gameplay, mechanics, and graphics were the first of its kind for the FPS. The elements of the game still inspire developers to this day. Some say this game was inspired by Half-Life 2 in some ways, for me it's a great game in general. There were so low and hard points to the main story. For the most part, the campaign was designed with exceeding epicness, and had some moments of glory other video games will never be able to take. Even better then the campaign as the multiplayer. The multiplayer is now the godfather to all FPS this generation. The multiplayer sets standards that will always be praised. 2007 may be the Year of the Shooter for many years to come, yet the biggest shooter of that year was Modern Warfare, whose glories will last a long time. Expand
  24. Dec 13, 2013
    Great single player story and probably one of the best shooters of all time make Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare a must have for all game libraries. If one does not own this game, than they do not understand the first person shooter genre.
  25. Nov 8, 2013
    This game was a masterpiece for its time. It made me get off the Halo series and it set the standard for FPS. This game easily one of my favorite games of all time.
  26. Nov 8, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun and definitely worth getting. The campaign is fun and keeps you entertained by switching up what you're doing periodically. The down side is that the campaign is full of infinitely spawning enemies making it difficult to move forward at times. The ending wasn't great but the rest the game is excellent.
  27. Oct 17, 2013
    Its an OK game in my opinion, but I do agree it is rightfully successful and there's a reason so many people like it and also it was new and not recycled content from its previous games. The single players interesting story, characters and great pacing makes it great, but its only worth 1 play through. Multiplayer is good I wouldn't really play it.
  28. Sep 12, 2013
    this... game... woah, seriously this thing defined the genre of FPS' i still play it today, if anything this game still holds up today, so black ops 2 can suck it.
  29. Sep 7, 2013
    One of the best shooters ever, the best Call of Duty game ever, etc. A lot of good things can be said about this game. I've spent an incredible amount of time enjoying it. The campaign is of course based on scripts and doesn't have much variety, but in 2007 it looked incredible and had a lot of breathtaking scenes and missions. And the best thing about singleplayer is that it's only theOne of the best shooters ever, the best Call of Duty game ever, etc. A lot of good things can be said about this game. I've spent an incredible amount of time enjoying it. The campaign is of course based on scripts and doesn't have much variety, but in 2007 it looked incredible and had a lot of breathtaking scenes and missions. And the best thing about singleplayer is that it's only the warm-up before the jaw dropping multiplayer action. A diversity of customization options introduced in this game became a standard for all modern FPS, the maps were nearly perfect balanced, as well as weapons. The arcade mode is a waste of time, and there are other minor flaws, but this game is still a great experience. Sadly, I can't recommend buying it now since a very small number of players play it's multiplayer on X360 and PS3, and on PC it has this stupid dedicated servers system. But it will always be in my heart as (I repeat) the best shooter I've ever played. Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    There has not been a better cod since this. This was the start of the cod franchise because this game was just way too good. This was when Infinity Ward was actually good

1. Simply put, Call of Duty 4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best 360 shooters is how all of the good stuff is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while multiplayer is a triple-A affair in itself. [Dec 2007, p.36]
  2. COD4 is cutting-edge entertainment, but the downside to this dense and gripping delivery is that it's over far too quickly: five to six hours on Normal difficulty...COD4 is short but immensely satisfying and we can't wait for a post-modern revival. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.