6.1

1. Mar 6, 2011
    While I am still pretty new to the Call of Duty series I've only played World at War, COD 4, and this one, and I hated COD 4, this has to be the best one I've played so far, the campaign is epic the story mixed with the awesome gameplay kept me hooked, the multiplayer is outstanding, right up there with Halo: Reach and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the controls still deserve praise, theWhile I am still pretty new to the Call of Duty series I've only played World at War, COD 4, and this one, and I hated COD 4, this has to be the best one I've played so far, the campaign is epic the story mixed with the awesome gameplay kept me hooked, the multiplayer is outstanding, right up there with Halo: Reach and Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the controls still deserve praise, the only flaws are some technical issues like you and your enemies getting stuck in the environment, and some other weird glitches, even with those this is still one I can highly recommend. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2011
    Okay. "Call of duty: Black Ops" is a game in a situation called "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained". It's like copying MW2 into another CD and selling it back, except that it has different titles and more **** graphics. The zombies are the only stand-alone con that makes me play this game with my friends. Either than that, I'm ready to sell this ****
  3. Dec 8, 2011
    Well-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd beWell-made, balanced and works. But is that a good thing? For any other game, maybe. For Call of Duty, this is by far the most boring, least satisfying, easiest but technically the best. A robot might like it, but a human gamer will soon grow tired of yet another CoD which although adds new features, it still doesn't make the game exciting. However, if you asked me which shooter i'd be happy to play on the longest, it would definitely be this. Everything works well, and there are practically no flaws with multiplayer. Zombies are very well done (the default ones anyway), if not a bit too dark in Kino der Toten. Overall, the campaign is excellent and interactive, zombies is fun and multiplayer is arguably the best in all of CoD. What more could you ask for? The campaign is much better than MW2 and WaW, with more interactivity, more variety in level design, a new environment and great scenes, characters and storyline. It is a little too short, but still packed with epicness, from stealth to piloting gunships. The campaign is much more of an adventure- a journey- whereas the previous ones were more predictable and straightforward. As far as multiplayer is concerned, it's flawless. There are no imbalanced weapons or perks or attachments. If anything grenade launchers are underpowered. The weapons are still varied for differentp laystyles. There are many attachments, pro perks, balanced killstreaks and modes such as Barebones, where it's straight up gun on gun. Private matches are a lot more fun given the wealth of settings which can be tweaked. One can also save replays of recent games and store custom game modes in file share. Wager matches add a new facet to the multiplayer experience by allowing players to compete in three free-for-all game modes for CoD points (in-game currency). Although many dislike CoD points, it encourages players to try out new weapons and attachments when prestiging and yes, challenges don't unlock anything but pro perks anymore but this eliminates boosting- a problem which MW2 had. Any problems which MW2 had have been addressed, but Second Chance/Last Stand still remains albeit with the kill going to the player who put the victim in last stand. The maps aren't great but they're good enough and work well. the same playstyle can be applied to every map, but this and the addition of CoD points mean that the game is fair and equal for all. Black Ops has really modernised the franchise and brought it up to Halo levels of complete package with its new additions such as the complete stats tracking for weapons, kills, deaths, leaderboards, score, killstreaks- EVERYTHING IS TRACKED. Understandably, people are sick of CoD franchise in general so it has low ratings, but as a game, this is by far the most modern and polished Call of Duty game yet in all aspects. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2012
    *UPDATED REVIEW* Call of Duty: Black Ops has a surprisingly better storyline/plot than the other games with a few surprising twists along the way, but the game is brought down low by it's ugly graphics, not feeling like a period game when it actually is and a lack of cohesion.
  5. Apr 11, 2011
    Great game!! Treyarch made a neat game probably the best game on their works. The campaign is well scripted than any other CoD game,the big explosion parts are there and the funny zombies are back and more deadly than before. The multiplayer is very entertaining but not in the line of Modern Warfare 2 . The zombies already includes three maps one unlocked ,the other locked,meanwhile theGreat game!! Treyarch made a neat game probably the best game on their works. The campaign is well scripted than any other CoD game,the big explosion parts are there and the funny zombies are back and more deadly than before. The multiplayer is very entertaining but not in the line of Modern Warfare 2 . The zombies already includes three maps one unlocked ,the other locked,meanwhile the third one is a secret . Very creative game but more of the same Expand
  6. Sep 23, 2011
    Both the multiplayer maps and the campaign of Black Ops are weaker than its predecessor, even if its plot is slightly more interesting. Graphics are also slightly worse this time around. However, the inclusion of zombie modes and dead ops arcade mean that this is a game bursting with content. The Call of Duty formula remains enjoyable but this is not a must buy.
  7. Aug 13, 2012
    I don't think black ops is not the best cod and i'm not really looking forward to black ops 2. Got to admit black ops had one of the best campaigns, easily in my top three. Multiplayer really sucked, i hated it. Zombies is good and all but is nowhere as near as good as WaW's. Campaign 9/10 Multiplayer 4/10 Zombies 7/10 Call of Duty Black Ops 6.5/10
  8. Nov 28, 2013
    my opinion of this game is that he is so so,first personshooters are not my favorite genre,there is a lot of things almost equal to his antecessor and i don't like it.
  9. Apr 1, 2013
    It's all right I guess. There is more hype than fun with this game. I seriously do not see what's so fantastic about this game. It's a C at best. The campaign is boring. I didn't finish it. The multiplayer's probably the best thing about it
  10. May 2, 2012
    I will never buy a Call of Duty game made by Treyarch ever again. Sub-par campaign, horrific multiplayer, and the worst graphics i've ever seen. The only thing that i would prevent this from being an unrated review was the decent first 2 DLC packs.
  11. Mar 26, 2011
    'Allright then,who am I?'
    'American spec-ops?Check'
    'Who am I killing today?Zombies,Commies,Terrorists or Nazi's?'
    'Terrorists again?Ok,damn. I wanted Aliens this time,I'd show them who's boss'
    'Didn't i do this last year?I did?'
    Meh.
    Almost single handedly destroying the FPS.
  12. Aug 8, 2012
    The singleplayer was a masterpiece, the zombie mode was extremely fun to play, the multiplayer was a let down, the connection errors were always appearing, and it just wasn't as fun to play as other call of duty games, it seemed too dull.
  13. Aug 19, 2011
    Let me just say,go back to 2007 call of duty 4 and play it.You will see a core of the same things there.There is still playing that game,thousands online after all this time and it is mid 2011 now.That is why COD 4 and COD 4 II won so many awards and are so good.I'm not going to be bias and knock it harshly on the review side over that but you can see my point.Black ops has an awesomeLet me just say,go back to 2007 call of duty 4 and play it.You will see a core of the same things there.There is still playing that game,thousands online after all this time and it is mid 2011 now.That is why COD 4 and COD 4 II won so many awards and are so good.I'm not going to be bias and knock it harshly on the review side over that but you can see my point.Black ops has an awesome campaign,great multiplayer,great graphics,ect..but for one I would rather put in COD MW 2 any time of the day and there is still up to 100,000 playing that game online and for being a 2009 game that is where you see some of the brilliance behind it.Black ops is a solid 8 but the two before it were perfect 10's so go figure. Expand
  14. Mar 13, 2011
    Decent story for the campaign, but it's extremely hard on Veteran (hardest), including hordes of respawning enemies. It's even a slight challenge on Hardened.

Zombies is fun as always and this game provides the best maps yet, with more perks, guns and gadgets. Multiplayer has the same feel, but it plays different. After all, it IS on a DIFFERENT engine than IW's games. (MW2, COD4, COD2)

Multiplayer has the same feel, but it plays different. After all, it IS on a DIFFERENT engine than IW's games. (MW2, COD4, COD2) It can be a little laggy like the game depends way too much on the host. There are no dedicated servers, but you still get the solid gameplay of Call of Duty and Treyarch took away 90% of the cheap bullcrap that MW2, like certain perks, certain killstreak, stacking killstreaks and they even provided multiple Barebones playlists. (No perks, killstreaks or attatchments).

Overall, it's a good game. I would give it an 8.5, but since so many losers rated it so low on purpose... because they hate COD because they suck, their connection sucks or they miss the cheap crap from MW2.

To let you know how this game stacks up in my opinion. I'll list my favorite CODs in order.

1. COD2
    7. Big Red One
    8. Finest Hour
    9. Classic
  15. Mar 19, 2012
    Again, I rate this game on it's two main features: campaign and multiplayer. Both have redeeming qualities one would expect from such a storied franchise. I rate the campaign a full 5/5 because I can honestly not find anything wrong with it. The story was amazing and unexpected, and kept you interested throughout. Graphics were good (if a little outdated on the engines part), andAgain, I rate this game on it's two main features: campaign and multiplayer. Both have redeeming qualities one would expect from such a storied franchise. I rate the campaign a full 5/5 because I can honestly not find anything wrong with it. The story was amazing and unexpected, and kept you interested throughout. Graphics were good (if a little outdated on the engines part), and mechanics were just as good as they've ever been.

Online is a bit of a different story. I think the core online multiplayer deserves no more than a 1/2.5, because of severe synchronization problems. You can fire off an entire clip at an enemy and he will kill you with a single shot. When you look at it again in theatre, you aren't shown to be firing a shot. This shows that you are lagging behind the actual game time, and it can be a severe impediment in head to head battles. Sometimes, it works in your favor, but it's too big a factor to ignore.

Zombies is definitely a huge redeeming feature of this game, and for that it gets 2.5/2.5. One of the best 'swarm' style games I've played, and the innate black humour just makes it better. Weapons are amazing and the actual 'stories' behind the maps are engaging and sometimes downright hilarious.

My totals add up to an 8.5/10. Since metacritic only allows full number value ratings, I downgraded it to an 8, because I can't see a game with such an average multiplayer (main feature) being a 9/10.
  16. DME
    Jul 22, 2011
    The campain was nothing short of epic. It had a great story, interesting characters (Reznov was my favorite), and plenty of variety. Zombies is back and better than ever. But it has it's letdowns... No highscores for offline or private match play. So if I get to round 42 on Solo, nobody is gonna believe me unless I take a picture of the TV screen and show it to them in person. It alsoThe campain was nothing short of epic. It had a great story, interesting characters (Reznov was my favorite), and plenty of variety. Zombies is back and better than ever. But it has it's letdowns... No highscores for offline or private match play. So if I get to round 42 on Solo, nobody is gonna believe me unless I take a picture of the TV screen and show it to them in person. It also takes to long to find a match for Zombies. But Kino Der Toten is an instant classic and the dialogue (while repetetive) is hilarious. What's left? The heart and soul of Call of Duty... multiplayer. I am happy to say that Black Ops has the best multiplayer of any CoD game I've ever played. Everything (well, mostly everything) is balanced. Perks are well thought out. Weapon choices and attatchments are good. The sniper rifles are no longer over-powered. My only gripe is the FAMAS. The FAMAS is the most popular weapon because it is too accurate for the damage is does. Take away two bars of accuracy from the FAMAS and all weapons are balanced. Private Matches can be customized to a surprising extent. Maps are exceptionaly designed, but sometimes visualy-unappealing. And the 4 new Wager Match modes delivered even more fun. Killstreaks are better, but I wish there was more interactivity with some of them (eg. Attack Helicopters and Attack Dogs). I also wish we had the Predator Drone back. But the best thing about multiplayer is that Treyarch is keeping the place clean of hackers (yes, you may stumble upon one or two). The game is free of glitches (due to frequent updates), and has fast matchmaking. Overall, you can't go wrong with Black Ops. This really feels like a great end to the CoD series. But we all know Activison won't stop until they lose their customers. And after this, I don't think it will be happening soon. Expand
  17. Jan 21, 2015
    This game is simply outstanding and had rarely any flaws.

PROS
    -ASTONISHING gameplay
    -Fun mini games
    -HD graphics
    -Amazing campaign

CONS
    -weak story
  18. Oct 24, 2014
    I'm not a COD fanboy, well not anymore but all joking aside this is just a great game. Zombies is where the game really shines for me, I have spent hundreds of hours blowing zombie's heads off and it never losses it's touch.
  19. Feb 15, 2012
    The worst call of duty to date the controls are sloppy the graphics are awful the story line is boring and online is the same thing everytime. all the guns feel as though they do the same thing and the unbelievably unfair perks ruin online even for the people who are great at this game. The only thing really good about this game is figuring out the zombies hidden storyline
  20. Nov 24, 2010
    It's a much better game than Modern Warfare 2, but it doesn't really feel as fresh as it probably should. The new additions Treyarch made don't really help the gameplay much, and seeing as most people have played MW2 to death, there's really no reason for anyone other than hardcore COD fans to buy Black Ops.
  21. Dec 6, 2014
    A fresh Call of Duty environment makes for more first person shooter glory in both single and multiplayer. The new zombies mode is a blockbuster hit and will surely return. It breaths fresh life into a series that undoubtedly deserves more entries.
  22. Apr 14, 2011
    Yet again the critics get it so wrong with another Cod Game.Ok,they didnt get quite as over excited than they did with Modern Warfare 2(the most over hyped & overated game in history).The user scores for this & Modern Warfare says it all.. For my Views on this game,you only need to head over to my Modern Warfare 2 review.The exact same critisisms apply.Ridiculus storyline,No CampaignYet again the critics get it so wrong with another Cod Game.Ok,they didnt get quite as over excited than they did with Modern Warfare 2(the most over hyped & overated game in history).The user scores for this & Modern Warfare says it all.. For my Views on this game,you only need to head over to my Modern Warfare 2 review.The exact same critisisms apply.Ridiculus storyline,No Campaign Co-Op(Not even a rubbish Spec Ops mode),Re-Spawning Enemies(What is this,the 80's),& gameplay & graphics that are competent sure,but are both feeling very tired now... Oh yeah,& a mode that allows you to fight against bots,but you have to be online to use it?! GREAT!... an offline mode,you cant use offline.Nice One. For me in future,if i'm to buy any more CoD games,they will need to have CAMPAIGN Co-Op as standard.& thats just for starters.they need to really start to evolve this increasingly stale series with genuinely new gameplay features.I can already see alot of discontent with the series as it is.I've always been a big fan of Treyarch,& always been a vocal supporter of them.Over the overated & less talented Inferior Ward.but i was really dissappointed with Black Ops.Especially with the lack of Co-Op.Especially after they had in in the excellent World at War. Expand
  23. Rem
    Jul 11, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops does just enough to stand out from the other CODs and making it a worthwhile package. I want to question though if Michael Bay worked with the creation of this game. There is a crap ton of explosions and it all becomes tediously annoying a few hours in. However, the story this time is actually interesting and manages to stand out from games even outside of theCall of Duty: Black Ops does just enough to stand out from the other CODs and making it a worthwhile package. I want to question though if Michael Bay worked with the creation of this game. There is a crap ton of explosions and it all becomes tediously annoying a few hours in. However, the story this time is actually interesting and manages to stand out from games even outside of the genre. The gunplay is the same as ever as you move through a level sprinkled with explosive setpieces here and there, but most people play COD for its multiplayer. COD points being the new addition, is well implemented and the contract system kept me playing for a while. The most improved feature of this package however is the fun Zombies mode. Holding off waves off Nazi zombies have never been so fun while coming with replay value. The framerate is a silky 60 frames again, but textures can be rough at times. There isn't too much changes to the overall way you play the game, but I still kept playing this release for the annual mega franchise. Expand
  24. Sep 3, 2012
    This is my first XBox 360 review, as the only reason I had one was for Halo and COD games. For the most part I am now a 100% PC gamer, but I did at one point have 360 and this game. I have to say that I did enjoy it and I do like it better than Modern Warfare. The multiplayer in Black Ops is more solid, better guns, better maps, more realistic perks. Modern Warfare was alright but theThis is my first XBox 360 review, as the only reason I had one was for Halo and COD games. For the most part I am now a 100% PC gamer, but I did at one point have 360 and this game. I have to say that I did enjoy it and I do like it better than Modern Warfare. The multiplayer in Black Ops is more solid, better guns, better maps, more realistic perks. Modern Warfare was alright but the followups were flops and currently the series has kind of fizzled out, COD: BO2 might change that. XBox Live IMO is much better than PSO but if I had to pick between the 2 it would be hard because the PS3 looks much better. If your a FPS fan at all, I believe this series is a must have, but I will now be moving to the PC for Black Ops 2. Expand
  25. Oct 26, 2013
    ok,i liked this game
    was fun. it doesnt have a good story
    but the game is fine,the graphics are the same as
    modern warfare 1,but still better that modern warfare trilogy
    i think is a good a game,is not excellent but is great
  26. Nov 9, 2010
    Black Ops is amazing! The campaign story is meh, but with zombie mode, and extremely great graphics, im surprised with these users! Go Black Ops!! :-)
  27. Jun 11, 2014
    2010 wasn't a very big gaming year. For this it was. This game was one of the more complete and deep games of the series. Of course it probably wasn't the best or hardest, but it was one of the more popular ones. BO2 was not when I started playing COD (I started on MW1) but when a lot of "Noobs" started. I was actually very good at this game. I reached a very high prestige (around 9), so2010 wasn't a very big gaming year. For this it was. This game was one of the more complete and deep games of the series. Of course it probably wasn't the best or hardest, but it was one of the more popular ones. BO2 was not when I started playing COD (I started on MW1) but when a lot of "Noobs" started. I was actually very good at this game. I reached a very high prestige (around 9), so it clearly was filled with "Noobs." I think the single player campaign was 'ok', but not the highlight of the game. The multiplayer definitely was. I think what made the game so popular was the fact how MW2 kind of boosted the series A LOT. A big factor that went into making the game so popular was that it was sold as the fact that it was "easy", mainly because since there were a lot of 'Noobs", they were probably playing there first COD experience. The game was my second favorite in the series (following MW2), but after about 4 after it came out I tried playing it again and of course it was dead. Every good old game, there all just dead now, what a shame... SMH. Expand
  28. Nov 9, 2010
    When compared to MW2, the campaign mode in Black Ops chews MW2's up and spits it out. Graphics are similar to MW2's graphics, there is not much difference. Black Ops adds nice new weapons such as RC Detonators and Flamethrowers to mix up the action, and multiplayer maps are very interesting, albeit some are extremely small. that you often find you are on a kill streak, or a death streak,When compared to MW2, the campaign mode in Black Ops chews MW2's up and spits it out. Graphics are similar to MW2's graphics, there is not much difference. Black Ops adds nice new weapons such as RC Detonators and Flamethrowers to mix up the action, and multiplayer maps are very interesting, albeit some are extremely small. that you often find you are on a kill streak, or a death streak, considering how the game often will respawn you in a spot that can get you immediately picked off without warning. Another major issue with multiplayer are the servers, which disconnect very frequently and disrupt gameplay. And frequently is about maybe once per every other game or so. This was written after only a single day live, so that issue may change in due time. For now though, the game gets an 8, server problems holding it back from any higher. Expand
  29. Jul 27, 2011
    Ok so most of the reviews are from trolls who started a "I hate call of duty" fan club although they still buy it every year. Anyway I hate EA more but activision are much more greedy. Now I prefer this single player campaign to all other cod games, but the multiplayer sucks mega balls. Campers, kids, noobs and the occasional Jesus on YouTube thinking the S.A.S are going to phone him upOk so most of the reviews are from trolls who started a "I hate call of duty" fan club although they still buy it every year. Anyway I hate EA more but activision are much more greedy. Now I prefer this single player campaign to all other cod games, but the multiplayer sucks mega balls. Campers, kids, noobs and the occasional Jesus on YouTube thinking the S.A.S are going to phone him up for help. Now zombie mode is cool but the maps are fail. Wager is cool but the maps are fail. Other then that online is fail. Expand
  30. Apr 8, 2014
    Es sin duda el mejor CoD de todos, una trama acojonante, unos escenarios bien hechos, las armas. Pero que aun sigue teniendo el mismo motor que sus predecesores. Sin embargo es un gran shooter.

1. A short campaign which is never spectacular and never very clever, but always solid enough. [Feb 2011, p.99]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!