Dante's Inferno Xbox 360

7.7

1. Meh
    Feb 9, 2010
    Maybe they should have put more time into the game and less into designing that huge interactive website to market it. Very unfun for all the reasons stated by more critical reviews; bland, repetitive, and in my opinion generally boring. God of War homage/ripoff or not it just isn't fun to play.
  2. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say - I got an account on this site just so I could complain about this game.

This is a very difficult game - which is fine, but what's not fine is that they've made it that much harder by crappy controls and horrible angles where you can't see where you're going and the camera whizzes around you while you're trying to run and fight. I played on the highest difficulty, and I found myself going down a level of difficulty constantly, not because I couldn't do the challenge, but because I couldn't stand going through all of the cut scenes, running around, upgrading and climbing around for relics over and over again because they were too retarded to put checkpoints in the right places.

Alot of the time - the enemies and challenges weren't the reason I died. It was to do with being unable to see, falling off a cliff I didn't know about ... then I would be back where I started. And then... the lack of save points! Save points are stupid anyway - theres no reason why you can't let the player save whenever they want to - but in this game... they are so rare! You have to play for hours (which I don't have) to find one - some of them you miss anyway - and if you don't you have to, once again, go through all the crap to get back to where you were. This game made me so angry and not because I was cleverly manipulated to be so but because they designers forgot the basics.

Now... for the reason I gave it a 2 and not a 0. The graphics are breathtaking. The ideas in the scenery are fantastic. They go all out and dont hold back, because they realise theyre trying to make Hell. Some of its quite creepy (especially the babies) and some is fantastically messed up (especially the babies coming out of Cleopatra's nipples). But this is a video game, not a painting. The controls are too dictatorial and the game is too repetitve, so the amazing visuals are ruined.

1. The accomplished combat and surprisingly decent adaptation of the story make Dante's Inferno a fine diversion while you wait for the next button-masher... One based in a different set of mythology.
  2. Another major annoyance is the save system. You can only save at designated statues, and there are only two or three per level.
  3. All in all, it was a fun trip though hell, even with one circle being lackluster and the game feeling rather short, I still have no issues or moral objections to recommending Dante's Inferno for fans of this genre.