7.9

1. Mar 20, 2014
    The best game experience I've had in a long, long time. Hugely satisfying. Even better, if just lightly than the two earlier games of the series. Take your time playing it. Highly recommended. Do chose a melee type character, as 100% range-based characters eliminate a great deal of the quality of the game.
  2. Mar 19, 2014
    I laugh at guys who give this game a zero. User Deusex think's he can mash R1 to victory and complains about low stamina. I'm sure he couldn't get past the tutorial section and rage quit.

Anyway, as a fan of the Souls series FROM doesn't disappoint me with their last game. It's a nice marriage between DeS and DKS 1. I love the warping between bonfires early on and cuts down on backtracking because the levels are fairly large and the game itself is huge!

Also when FROM said that this game was going to more accessible, I was a bit worried that the game would be dumb downed..well rest assured the game is much harder than DKS 1. The enemy AI is much improved and some of the are bosses pretty tough. Some bosses are a bit samey which I really didn't mind. Because DKS 1 had the same thing going on as well.

If you're a fan of the series, you'll love this game
  3. Apr 7, 2014
    If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30 times before it. This is a true RPG. The great thing about this series, is that you can go back and play and replay the first Dark Souls and Demon Souls and still have that feeling of accomplishment. If you are an impatient gamer, then this game will temper you. Other game's difficulties are laughable at this point. This is the only RPG that truly makes you think about when and how to upgrade certain character statistics. Prepare to die... MORE. You have to love this game! I think about it even while at work... now that's saying something. Expand
  4. Apr 6, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic game. Sits in a great place gameplay wise right between Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, but is much more accessible to players new to the franchise. It's difficulty has a steep learning curve and a high ceiling, but is almost never unfair. Graphics-wise, it's not wonderful, but the aesthetics are fantastic and well crafted. Enemies, weapons and armor all fit seamlesslyAbsolutely fantastic game. Sits in a great place gameplay wise right between Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, but is much more accessible to players new to the franchise. It's difficulty has a steep learning curve and a high ceiling, but is almost never unfair. Graphics-wise, it's not wonderful, but the aesthetics are fantastic and well crafted. Enemies, weapons and armor all fit seamlessly into the universe with a great eye for detail.

PvP is also great; improved from the first game in most areas. Some things need work; for example the economy of PvPing with single use, hard to farm items is very weak, and could use some help. There are certainly some builds that need tweaking, but all-in-all, this game is excellent.

Praise the Sun!
  5. Apr 1, 2014
    As awesome as the first game but with better PvP (dedicated servers!) and an even bigger world.. what's not to love? Game of the Year contender for sure - I'll be playing this for a very long time
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    Takes the same tried and true formula and amplifies it!!!!! Must buy GAME OF THE YEAR 2014........getting it again on the pc for much improved visuals............................................................
  7. Apr 24, 2014
    I previously made a por review after playing 10 hours. Now after reintroducing myself back into DS and getting away from the FPS raging I can give a more, intelligent response to the game. It is the most amazing game I've ever played. I never thought I'd see a game better than Demon Souls, but they did it. Over 200 hours of play on my first character and still going strong, cant getI previously made a por review after playing 10 hours. Now after reintroducing myself back into DS and getting away from the FPS raging I can give a more, intelligent response to the game. It is the most amazing game I've ever played. I never thought I'd see a game better than Demon Souls, but they did it. Over 200 hours of play on my first character and still going strong, cant get enough. I truly hope they decide to continually make more Souls games! There are the best games ever made and I'm absolutely obsessed with them. Recommend you buy not only Dark Souls 2, but play them all. This is a series you wont want to have missed out on! Expand
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    Got this game yesterday and it's great. Been playing it non stop probably 10 hrs already and I've only scratched the surface. Dark souls was an amazing game and this one easily follows suit. Graphics are nice and the controls are really responsive. This is what a 10 game is. I love the atmosphere as you edge forward bit by bit with your little shield up. It's great. PeopleGot this game yesterday and it's great. Been playing it non stop probably 10 hrs already and I've only scratched the surface. Dark souls was an amazing game and this one easily follows suit. Graphics are nice and the controls are really responsive. This is what a 10 game is. I love the atmosphere as you edge forward bit by bit with your little shield up. It's great. People shouldn't complain about getting killed here and there when in all challenging games you'll die a fair bit at certain points. The only difference with the souls series is you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Anyone who likes RPGs, solid combat, a fantasy setting, with fair challenging gameplay should lap this beauty up. It's a definite keeper!!! Expand
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    Looking over Darksouls II, i can sum up my opinion of it in one word. FLAWLESS..........................................................................
  10. Jan 10, 2015
    Avoid any other game if a challenge is what you seek, this is what made video gaming worthy in 2014,
    Dark Souls 2 is a way more friendly version of it's predecessor, which will allow newcomers to taste this phenomenal game, without getting al shot from the beginning, it will take you some time to get along still but once used you will for sure make a second and perhaps a third play trough,
    haters here were probably not man enough to truly play this game as it should, if a challenge and great story is what you seek, this is your thing,

if your a veteran player of the souls you know what you get, except that this one is kinda friendly, most bosses and enemies were possible to beat if the first round, but still this game will swell be worth your while,
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    I am long timer Souls fan. I enjoyed the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I own a copy of Dark Souls on every platform and have logged over 100+ hours. Dark Souls 2 does not disappoint. Art direction is amazing (lots of light, lots of color, lots of variation), combat is fluid and executes quicker, enemies set traps for you (very creative From!), etc. I could go on but I won't. MostI am long timer Souls fan. I enjoyed the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I own a copy of Dark Souls on every platform and have logged over 100+ hours. Dark Souls 2 does not disappoint. Art direction is amazing (lots of light, lots of color, lots of variation), combat is fluid and executes quicker, enemies set traps for you (very creative From!), etc. I could go on but I won't. Most reviews cover the good stuff anyway. Most importantly though, you need to buy a copy of the game and immerse yourself fully. This is the game I have been waiting for. Expand
  12. Mar 14, 2014
    My god they done again, another awesome souls game prepare to die over and over with a smile on your face, because you know that it was your fault not the game. Dark souls 2 is a sure buy for everyone looking for an adventure like no other. Now if you excuse i will continue to play this beast. Praise the sun!!
  13. Mar 22, 2014
    I just beat Dark Souls 2 after 47 hours of play and I must say...This is a great game. It was challenging and rewarding. I never felt like I was getting screwed over. If I died, it is because I did something wrong, and not the fault of the game or its mechanics. The length of the game was on par with where I thought it would be, and the new game plus adds even more depth (when I startedI just beat Dark Souls 2 after 47 hours of play and I must say...This is a great game. It was challenging and rewarding. I never felt like I was getting screwed over. If I died, it is because I did something wrong, and not the fault of the game or its mechanics. The length of the game was on par with where I thought it would be, and the new game plus adds even more depth (when I started new game plus, I immediately ran into a brand new enemy type in Things Betwixt).

First of all, there are a few changes that some people have been critical of. One of them is the fact that your maximum health bar goes down every time you die. The way that you remedy this problem is by consuming the human effigy item that find throughout the game. People have complained that these effigies are too few and that this change from Dark Souls is frustrating. I will tell you that at the time that I beat the game, I had 33 human effigies in my inventory and I used at least one before every boss to maximize my health bar. These effigies are found on many enemy types, and can be found for purchase in at least 3 different areas. I felt like I was finding too many of these items.

Another thing people have been critical of is the difficulty of some of the bosses...THIS IS DARK SOULS!!! If you want a casual experience, do not play the game. What separates Demon/Dark Souls away from other games is the difficulty level. I actually felt that Dark Souls was much harder than 2, but that is just my opinion.

As far as the graphics issue that people are complaining about, if you have a problem with the graphics on a PS3 or 360, then wait until it comes out on PC and play it on that. Surely the textures will look better and you can pop your graphics hard on in your pants. I never once thought the graphics were an issue. I thought the game looked creepy and beautiful at the same time. The frame rate was fantastic and ran very smoothly. I would rather have slight downgrade in graphics for a top notch experience, but that's just me.

To sum it all up, this is a great game. If you love difficult games, or RPG's that don't baby you through your gaming experience, then this game is going to make you very happy. If you like to find fault in everything, complain about difficult games because you can't smoke a J and then casually play, or rip your hair out when you are not playing the most amazing graphics running on the world's fastest super computer. then go play Titanfall or something, and leave the real gaming to the real gamers.
  14. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still haveDark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still have a great experience, even if you somehow don't manage to finish the game up.

Dark Souls II is visually stunning. The art style and varied environments keep the game feeling fresh. Even when you're ''stuck'' in a section of the game world for several hours even, you never feel like something is getting old. You constantly learn something new, whether it's a new attack pattern or a well hidden item.

Just like it's predecessors, Dark Souls II is INCREDIBLY rewarding. Even for a Souls vet, like myself who's put around 2500 hours to both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls combined. You always feel like you're accomplishing something. No developer does it quite like From Software. Today's mainstream franchises feel like a waste of time compared to the Souls series. While, one might argue that the Souls games are mainstream now, with this being the third installment, it still haven't gotten old one bit. From always puts time, love and effort to their games to make sure they're polished and provide the best possible experience. Which probably is why the Souls series is my favorite of this past generation, and i'm sure other people think that as well.

The gameplay is more or less the same. It's still the best combat system around only with some tweaks. Firstly, goodbye invincibility frames when rolling/dodging. This can make some of the first boss encounters feel a little odd, if you're coming from Dark Souls. You might say to yourselves ''THAT DIDN'T EVEN HIT ME!'' but trust me, it did hit you. The hit-boxes are really good in Dark Souls II. The parrying is a bit harder than in the first Dark Souls. It requires more timing and precision.

The lore is still there to be find, even though the core story that you're playing through is explained to you by the various NPCs, the LORE is still there to be found and much speculation to be done.

The boss fights are still incredible, although some of them feel a little too similar to each other, they're still very well designed and deliciously challenging. Here's a hoping for a Next Gen Souls release somewhere down the line. Just take your time From Software!

9.5/10

I rated it a 10 on the score because of the awfully stupid user score system. It's like you're allowing moronic troll children to determine what games people should play. The user score for the Xbox 360 version just keeps going down, it's like one person keeps making accounts to give Dark Souls II zeroes because they have nothing better to do with their life. If you want to see what people REALLY think about the game go see the Playstation 3 section. (unless you're already reading this there, then good for you.)
  15. Mar 30, 2014
    Just an awesome follow-up to the amazing DS1. If you're patient and want to experience extreme satisfaction in a game this is for you. Not for the easily discouraged or thoughtless gamer.
  16. Mar 19, 2014
    This is one of those games that will go down in history as a legacy and never die. It will be something you can play years from now and enjoy, not just some once and done waste of time game. With Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Dark Souls II is one of the greatest games ever created.
  17. Mar 29, 2014
    Amazing game and a worthy sequel to one of the greatest games I've ever played. Some small negatives bring it down for me however, such as the simplification of the weapon upgrading systems and the un-inter-connectedness of the world, if that's a word, which it's not, i think. Penalties are lighter too, for abandoning covenants or killing npcs. I guess this is some of that accessibilityAmazing game and a worthy sequel to one of the greatest games I've ever played. Some small negatives bring it down for me however, such as the simplification of the weapon upgrading systems and the un-inter-connectedness of the world, if that's a word, which it's not, i think. Penalties are lighter too, for abandoning covenants or killing npcs. I guess this is some of that accessibility they were talking about. Last but definitely not least, a lot of the boss fights didn't grab me the same way as the first title, and the story isn't quite as interesting this time around either. Now, that's a lot of negatives for a 10 and that's because its a 9.5 but that option doesn't exist for some reason.
    Anyway the rest is brilliant. It was easier to list the negatives. Mechanically it's as refined and engaging as the first. The graphics are slightly improved with the lighting being the most notable improvement. The score is sparse and wonderful as usual. Multiplayer is great and there's more interesting ways to Pvp here than before. The new weapons, armors and magic look and feel great and the gameplay is still the most rewarding thing out there at the moment. Nothing like that rush of adrenaline when you escape a red phantom with your life just intact or finally fell the large beast you've been stuck on.
    Phew! Ok, well if you read all that thanks for your time, now go out there and buy this. peace.
  18. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is fantastic,the story,sound,gameplay and art are all unique.
    If you enjoyed Dark Souls you'll love this game,just like Dark Souls,Dark Souls 2 is really hard,but It's fair,so the pleasure for hardcore gamers will be great.
  19. Aqu
    Mar 11, 2014
    If you were a fan of Dark Souls, you will love this game. It's even harder than the last, but less daunting at the start. It has a smooth transition into the game for new players, and veteran players like myself will feel right at home.
  20. Mar 11, 2014
    Any negative comment is troll, or just some bad that cant beat something, ill admit the hit detection is bad atm but they will fix it like they did with the first game. Great game, worth the 60$
  21. ERB
    Mar 11, 2014
    Obviously one of the best game this year. The game is awesome even though they made it more difficult this time. The game is fun and the story is amazing. This game is so difficult that I think I can finish the whole game in 100 hours or more. There are many to explore in this twisted world Of Dark Souls 2. It is fun to adventure the world and the graphics and environments are beautiful. IObviously one of the best game this year. The game is awesome even though they made it more difficult this time. The game is fun and the story is amazing. This game is so difficult that I think I can finish the whole game in 100 hours or more. There are many to explore in this twisted world Of Dark Souls 2. It is fun to adventure the world and the graphics and environments are beautiful. I know that in this game you will die countless times but even if it is frustrating, that is what makes this game so great. This game is has the most rewarding moments in gaming history. Because the enemies in this game is so difficult to beat that when you beat them you will have this mysterious beautiful feeling that is coming into you. That is right it feels really great when you beat them.

This game is really amazing and a must buy game for all gamer around the world especially for fans of this game. A great improvement upon the original and more rewarding moments, this game deserves a 10/10 score from me.
  22. Mar 12, 2014
    Definitely the hardest game I have played on the 360 and is very rage inducing. However, this game makes you come back for more because the game is still fun and is so rewarding when you complete something u were stuck on. Another note is that the music within the game is stunning.
  23. Jan 14, 2015
    I never thought I would enjoy the Dark Souls games, as I hate dying or losing. I still wasn’t quite sure I did when I played about half of the original Dark Souls. Then I started playing Dark Souls II, beat some guys I thought were impossible… and it clicked. The desire to level up just one more level, beat just one more boss and discover just one more area is intoxicating. And man, theI never thought I would enjoy the Dark Souls games, as I hate dying or losing. I still wasn’t quite sure I did when I played about half of the original Dark Souls. Then I started playing Dark Souls II, beat some guys I thought were impossible… and it clicked. The desire to level up just one more level, beat just one more boss and discover just one more area is intoxicating. And man, the difficulty level is high, but satisfying. The only knock I would have on the game is stupid people invading my world. Aside from those rage-inducing moments, I had an awesome time from the beginning to end. My only regret is not being able to beat that dragon… Expand
  24. Jun 10, 2015
    Dark Souls 2 may be a little difficult to get into at first (especially for players new to the series) but those that stick with it soon find a title which not only amazes but also rewards gamers for their determination and persistence, If I had a top ten list of favorite games this would easily be on it.
  25. Jun 2, 2014
    One of my fav. games of the past 5 years. Very rarely do I spend well over 200 hours on a game and thirst for more. It's not perfect - hit detection can be off, and pvp is unbalanced overall. But I cannot give it less than a 10 when I know I'll be consistently playing this for at least the next 3 months (probably 6).
  26. Mar 20, 2014
    Um lançamento desse nível para consoles já com poder gráfico ultrapassado é fantástico, além do fato de Dark Souls 2 ter mostrado uma evolução do primeiro jogo e ter ouvido os fãs, pois muitas das mudanças são pedidos de fãs da série. O jogo possui um grau de dificuldade maior, seja pela mudança de depois de um tempo os inimigos não nascerem novamente, evitando o avanço de nível no mesmoUm lançamento desse nível para consoles já com poder gráfico ultrapassado é fantástico, além do fato de Dark Souls 2 ter mostrado uma evolução do primeiro jogo e ter ouvido os fãs, pois muitas das mudanças são pedidos de fãs da série. O jogo possui um grau de dificuldade maior, seja pela mudança de depois de um tempo os inimigos não nascerem novamente, evitando o avanço de nível no mesmo local, ou pela inteligência artificial ter subido, ao ponto de um inimigo ser atacado, todos ao seu redor vão ajudar o inimigo, fazendo lutas um contra um, voltarem a ser um (você) contra todos daquele grupo.
    Vale a pena o jogo.
  27. Mar 14, 2014
    Dark Souls 2. It ain't no candy crush.

I figure there are two types of folks who would consider buying this game: people who loved the first two titles of the 'Souls' series, and people who heard about the hype over the first game and it's notoriety for being rock hard. For the former, all I will say is PLAY THIS GAME. It's faithful to the challenging nature and tight gameplay of the
    Dark Souls 2. It ain't no candy crush.

For the former, all I will say is PLAY THIS GAME. It's faithful to the challenging nature and tight gameplay of the other titles. You will probably enjoy this game.

To anyone else, just consider what you're getting yourself into. If you're the kind of player who loves the euphoric feeling of toppling difficult challenges, you will like this series. If you find yourself somewhat impatient, and not willing to put up with a steep learning curve, then you might want to skip it.

Either way the game is oozing with dark atmosphere. The world of DS2 is not a friendly place, and the world itself feels like it's decaying...falling away into pertetual darkness as it's denizens have all turned into undead monstrosities, or have accepted their own numbing fate as they stand upon the coast watching a sunset that never ends.

The tightness of the combat has returned, and while I can't say what the PvP scene is like this early...I think it will be promising. This may very well be the title that keeps the Xbox / PS3 multiplayer scene alive for years to come. We shall see.
  28. Oct 29, 2014
    Quite possibly one of the best games I have every played in my life. I beat the game 8 times on my main file, and 2 times on my alternate file (made this file to play with my friend, who beat the game twice as well). But yeah, this game is just so damn unique. I love how challenging this game is, and I love the setting as well. If you love games with difficulties that are similar to theQuite possibly one of the best games I have every played in my life. I beat the game 8 times on my main file, and 2 times on my alternate file (made this file to play with my friend, who beat the game twice as well). But yeah, this game is just so damn unique. I love how challenging this game is, and I love the setting as well. If you love games with difficulties that are similar to the old SNES games, this is definitely something you will enjoy. Please buy this game, and the first Dark Souls, and Demon Souls, you won't regret it. It's an underrated game that people don't play because it requires patience, thinking, strategy, teamwork(if you summon other players), and pretty much skills that normal people don't really possess. Normal people nowadays enjoy casual games like COD, because there isn't any thinking involved. OH yeah, the multiplayer is so original, I don't know any other game that has a multiplayer system like the Souls games. You can summon other players via a sign place on the ground for bosses and for areas in the game. I think it's cool. It does get annoying when you get invaded though, but nevertheless, it is cool. This game has raised my standards to very high levels, which is good because I can save money on video games now. Expand
  29. Mar 12, 2014
    Best game of the year so far,great gameplay and unique story.
    Dark Souls 2 is huge,so there are lots of places to explore and discover,but don't be so happy because this is a game for hardcore players,It's really hard.
    If you like RPGs with unique story and gameplay,you should try Dark Souls 2,specially if you like long games,be ready to spend 60+ hours playing this game.
  30. Mar 11, 2014
    Absolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see wellAbsolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see well let me tell why. Its just that every conceivable area has been improved from the original Dark Souls from the gameplay, story, balance, and the overall experience has been improved and has resulted in a true masterpiece in gaming. But I will warn you that this game is only for HARDCORE GAMERS because you aren't then trust me will become a real dark soul but if you are then get out there and buy this masterpiece right now and you wont forget it.
    Thanks for reading my review
  31. Mar 14, 2014
    I hate this game but I also love it to bits. That was the magic that the first Dark Souls had, you hated it, you simply just hated it, but it has something that keeps you going and in the end you love it more than anything. With Dark Souls 2, its the exact same except better and the feelings are stronger the second time around. You'll die a lot, but you wont stop, nothing will stop youI hate this game but I also love it to bits. That was the magic that the first Dark Souls had, you hated it, you simply just hated it, but it has something that keeps you going and in the end you love it more than anything. With Dark Souls 2, its the exact same except better and the feelings are stronger the second time around. You'll die a lot, but you wont stop, nothing will stop you from finishing it and playing through it again. Expand
  32. May 11, 2014
    I am literally out of words, this game is a masterpiece just like the other souls games.
    in some aspects it is actually better. There is a fixed frame-rate, so no more fps drops. and the controls are more responsive than ever. There are some minor flaws, many enemies are re-used, little variation in boss fights and the plot is not quite as good as the first one. But these are such minor flaws.
    Where the original Dark Souls was a 10/10, this is a solid 9/10. next time bring Hidetaka Miyazaki back to the souls franchise!!
  33. Mar 18, 2014
    Best game since the first a torch in the fog of game mediocrecy. I hope developers are taking notes cous this is what a modern rpg should be.thank you FROM SOFTWARE for never taking the elder scrolls path games should be a challenge :)
  34. Mar 15, 2014
    everything you could ask for in a sequel. draws upon the best elements of dark souls and demon's souls in equal measure. Incredibly difficult and incredibly satisfying. This installment is less about finding the most broken items or the cheesiest strategies and more about mastering every tool the game gives you.
  35. Mar 11, 2014
    I´m a souls veteran. I have played both Demon´s souls and dark souls, and i´m happy to say that i´m now also playing dark souls 2. I am currently about halfway through my game at the moment (30ish hours), and I am enjoying it immensely. I believe dark souls 2 to be the perfect match of demon´s souls and dark souls, and if you have played both, you will feel right at home here.

Most of

Most of the design choices that are different from Dark souls, is great, but there are a few places which they shouldn´t have messed with: namely how repairing works now. But that´s a really small nitpick.

all in all, this game is a masterpiece!
  36. Mar 15, 2014
    if you call yourself hardcore gamer you definilty try this game. its a master piece for game industry, this game will not reward you for solving some puzzles with chickens (as other games do...), in fact, this game will never reward you, the players reward itselfs
  37. Mar 11, 2014
  38. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is an absolute masterpiece; both the environments and enemies are beautifully designed, and when combined create a dark, immersive game world. Yes, it is challenging, but the euphoria that you experience when you defeat a tough group of enemies or a boss is second to none in my opinion.
  39. Mar 14, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic game worthy of the series and my early contender for GOTY 2014. Rarely, if ever, does a sequel capture the magic of it's predecessors, but DS 2 does that in spades. I don't understand the people who go into the Demon/Dark Souls games expecting an "Elder Scrolls" experience. Then they go on various message boards, like this one, and trash the games. It's akin toAn absolutely fantastic game worthy of the series and my early contender for GOTY 2014. Rarely, if ever, does a sequel capture the magic of it's predecessors, but DS 2 does that in spades. I don't understand the people who go into the Demon/Dark Souls games expecting an "Elder Scrolls" experience. Then they go on various message boards, like this one, and trash the games. It's akin to biting into an apple and being mad it doesn't taste like an orange. Ignorance truly is bliss. Expand
  40. Mar 11, 2014
    Great Game, it's the pinnacle of how even when it comes to making a western looking game, the japanese are still better at game design.

the dark souls games are easily one of the only things that came from the ps3/360 generation.
  41. Mar 11, 2014
    what can i say more than it's the best game ever made in this industry
    thank you fromsoftwere to give me this experience
    thank you dark souls you are the best
  42. Mar 11, 2014
    Whoever gave this game a 1 because it is "too hard" should have never pre-ordered this game in the first place. Whoever jumps in to this game expecting it to be "easy" is an idiot. Welcome to Dark Souls II. You will die.
  43. Mar 12, 2014
    I loved this game,everything is interesting,the story,enemies,places to explore and NPCs.
    If you enjoyed Dark Souls,you'll enjoy Dark Souls 2 because It's fantastic,they improved everything,I can't wait to see Dark Souls 2 on PC and Dark Souls 3 (who knows?) on the next gen
  44. Mar 12, 2014
    This is how you make a game, tons of depth and things to do. Engaging combat, and great boss battles. The negative reviews must be from people who clearly played the game for a few hours and judged the game on a very small portion of it. Best game of the year so far.
  45. Mar 13, 2014
    Amazing work by from software.
    All things they can do better from first dark soul game they did it.Im a soul veteran, finished demons and dark souls a couple of times, and this is i think, the game that fans like me were waiting for.
    Amazing work by from software.
    This is a demostration (as all souls serie), how a relly basic concept like a dungeon crawler, can be one of the most deepest and complex experience in a game. the world, the concept art, the mechanics, the history......all them are amazing.
    From software, i love you!!

Goty for me
  46. Mar 14, 2014
    Oh Dark Souls...how I hate to love you.

9.6/10 It's Dark Souls with improvements, I was worried they would dumb it down for the masses but no it still has me questioning my sanity to why I love being beat down again and again and again, only to get back up and finally kill that SOB and feel like the king of the world, that's why dark souls 1 and 2 are amazing. Now as far as the
    Oh Dark Souls...how I hate to love you.

9.6/10

Now as far as the game goes my only complaint is, I wish they would've had completely original bosses from the first, Dragon Slayer, Dragon Rider same guy different paint pretty much. I know it's one but I know there are other repeats. Don't worry about losing health when you die, there's a ring that stops you from losing much, I died about 30 times in a row and didn't lose much. The travel system is really nice, (Almost too nice...) but it works out fine.

$60? If you enjoyed the first one then what are you waiting for?? Not for (insert any negative quality here) this game won't hold you're hand, it expects you to man up.

* same game as the first with improvements and some step backs don't expect to be blown away just expect to be in hell/rpg nirvana again.

*"for the curse of life, is the curse of want". Good luck :)
  47. Mar 14, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is exactly what a fan expects from it: a huge game filled with shocking details! It's a game to be appreciated slowly, not to speed run like an insane! Just enjoy it!
  48. Mar 18, 2014
    I think it was when I realized that after 2 hours and I was still struggling to defeat the Sentinels that I was hopelessly hooked...on dying...over and over again.
    This game has a way of making each and every decision count and Im already planning out my second play through so I dont make dumb decisions - like killing NPC's, trying that orange herb for "funzies" or joining the wrong covenant - sure i wished it would have come out on X1 or PS4 - but a game of this quality, depth, and emotional wrenching intrigue (mostly all anger from dying) - is rare in these days of short, uninspired games, made only to appease the mass market and not hardcore gamers that play games years after the "new smell" wears off.

Hats off to Software!
    fyi - if I dont beat those 3 bastards tonight I may revise my rating :)
  49. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is perfection. I feel it is a great sequel to a great game to begin with. Boss fights are exciting and everywhere you go, there is something unique. At the beginning of the game, you are meant to feel weak and helpless. Every enemy is a threat, and you have to dissect and analyse every situation. You will die. A lot. That's a given. But that's okay. The game is centered aroundThis game is perfection. I feel it is a great sequel to a great game to begin with. Boss fights are exciting and everywhere you go, there is something unique. At the beginning of the game, you are meant to feel weak and helpless. Every enemy is a threat, and you have to dissect and analyse every situation. You will die. A lot. That's a given. But that's okay. The game is centered around it. Sure, at surface level the game appears to be a grind, but it is so much more. Every character has a purpose, and interesting things to say. Some may think it has little plot, but if you are willing to listen to every piece of dialog, read item descriptions and.. dare I say it.. look for it, I can assure you it is there. Player vs Player combat is another great feature. It lets you know that, well, you aren't safe. Ever. People need to recognize that it's not a bad thing. Believe me, nothing is more annoying than losing your human form and 50k souls. So next time, do better. Stop the invader. Overcome an obstacle. I love this game. Maybe it is because I was such a huge fan of the first one. I was willing to appreciate changes, as well as remember mechanics from its predecessor. My main point is that I like this game because of its difficulty, because of its latent plot, because of its bosses, and most importantly because of its humbling nature. You aren't some juggernaut who is unmatched in combat. Most enemies are better than you, hell, invasions make it apparent that other players are better than you. But when you finally succeed. After going through death, after death, after death. You can truly understand the effect the game has had on you. Buy this game. From has definitely outdone themselves. Expand
  50. Mar 19, 2014
    What you should realize, if you're looking at these reviews, is that this game is a very hard game. At times it is pointlessly cruel, cruel to an extent that I guarantee no other game series would dare to be.

So why should you play such a pointlessly cruel game? The point of Dark Souls II, and the Souls series in general, is to return to a period of time in gaming where victory was

So why should you play such a pointlessly cruel game?

The point of Dark Souls II, and the Souls series in general, is to return to a period of time in gaming where victory was not an assured thing. In the original Mario, if you weren't good, you didn't beat the game. That's the end of the story, you got good at Mario, or you didn't win. So it is with Dark Souls II. If you are like me, someone who has experienced the entire lifespan of Video Gaming, you've watched video games go from challenging you to complete them to practically ensuring that you win. To play Dark Souls II is to travel back in time and to experience "old-school" gaming. You may immediately realize why gaming as a whole moved away from the "You Lose, Game Over" level of challenge, as Dark Souls II will slaughter you in ways that are unfair, and then spit in your face and take your money away. But you also might realize (after you're done yelling and screaming) that no non-indie non-Souls game in the last few years has ever actually challenged you. I mean it, Souls games are a literal challenge. The developers are saying, "I made a mean, hard game. I think you are casual scum who calls themselves a Gamer but you couldn't beat the original Megaman with a gun to your head." Want to prove them wrong? Beat Dark Souls II.

My primary gripe with this game is that the game's mechanics punish you for not being good at Dark Souls II. Demon's Souls (the original) did this too, and I didn't like it then either. Each death reduces your health maximum. Yes, you can reverse this. Yes, you can lessen the penalty with a ring (if you have it). But there is something disturbing about the fact that the game will not only kill you, it'll get even harder because you died.

But even though it pisses me off, that's part of what makes Dark Souls II so glorious. This game is not your friend. It doesn't want to give you hope, it wants to take it away. This game doesn't even particularly want to tell a story (it has an interesting one, but it's not really the point). This game's mission is to be as hard as possible in the modern era where games practically beat themselves. And it succeeds. And as a true gamer, I salute From Software for allowing me to pull back the mists of time, and enjoy a challenging game.
  51. Mar 24, 2014
    Ita.
    "Sequel" riuscito in tutto e per tutto. Un mondo immenso e tutto collegato, una libertà di esplorazione che ormai non si vede piu'. Questi ragazzi ci regalano, da ormai il vecchio Demon's Souls, delle pietre miliari che tutti gli appassionati del genere e di sfide devono provare.
    Ita.
    La difficoltà mette alla prova le vostre capacità di riflessi ed ogni scontro, anche quello con i Mob piu' comuni, possono essere fatali. Per non parlare dei Boss: ce ne sono per tutti i gusti. Magie, armi, armature, piromanzie, Potenziamenti, NPC segreti, Tutto da scoprire e vivere ora dopo ora.
    Tecnicamente il Team ha fatto passi da gigante, ottime le aree aperte e chiuse con viste e panorami mozzafiato, anche se abbiamo dei pesanti cali di Frame in alcune aree, ma nulla di preoccupante.
    Per finire il sistema di crescita del personaggio, come sempre grazie all uso di anime, rimane simile al predecessore, solo per l aggiunta di una nuova caratteristica (Adattabilità); avete intensione di fare un guerriero con supporto magico? Prego accomodatevi.
    Videogiocatori angosciati che sognavate un altra sfida degna di nota? Dark souls 2 è qui tra noi e ci farà bestemmiare tantissimo!
  52. Mar 25, 2014
    This game is amazing! A great sequel to the first game! This game is in every way better than Dark Souls 1. But dark souls 1 is still great! Anyway, If you liked this first game or demon's souls, you'll like this game. I don't see why people are giving this game negative reviews from fans. The game feels better than the first game, runs better, and has more to it. Plus the game is harderThis game is amazing! A great sequel to the first game! This game is in every way better than Dark Souls 1. But dark souls 1 is still great! Anyway, If you liked this first game or demon's souls, you'll like this game. I don't see why people are giving this game negative reviews from fans. The game feels better than the first game, runs better, and has more to it. Plus the game is harder and yet more accessible than the first game.

Now if you haven't played the first game don't be turned off by this game. It can be intimidating at first but you might be surprised by how rewarding the game is! Plus this game has something for everybody! Whether you like PvP, PvE, playing by yourself, help with areas from other people, or playing the game with the most difficulty as possible. You're bound to find something you like if you enjoy this game.

Overall this game is fantastic. Only issue with it would be that some bosses seem unfair. But usually there's ways around those issues. if you're a hardcore gamer/rpg fan you owe it to yourself to at least try the game. This game much like the first is the highlight of rpgs on the xbox 360 platform. And this is coming from someone who got all achievements on skyrim. And then I discovered the first game. Btw PRAISE THE SUN!
  53. Apr 10, 2014
    Fair enough, it can't re-blow my mind as the original once did, but this bigger, and more improved Souls title certainly gives me the satisfaction that I needed.

10/10 is no understatement with this game, it truly is the finest game ever produced. No amount of words can do this title justice, so I highly recommend you just buy it. If you can't enjoy it, then sell it on. It's not like there is a monthly sub...
  54. Apr 9, 2014
    One of the best games of list years period. Always challenging with an excellent combat system and gdr progression. You 'll die a lot but always for your fault, who gave this game 0 is a casual player who think that he is immortal. In this game you must use your brain and your gamer skills to master it. Huge map with solid graphic, more fluid than the first episode. In ng + the challengeOne of the best games of list years period. Always challenging with an excellent combat system and gdr progression. You 'll die a lot but always for your fault, who gave this game 0 is a casual player who think that he is immortal. In this game you must use your brain and your gamer skills to master it. Huge map with solid graphic, more fluid than the first episode. In ng + the challenge continues with new enemies. A must buy but only for serious gamers. Expand
  55. Apr 17, 2014
    Reason why this game is brilliant is not about graphics, story, or multiplay. Its is about true challenge. I already die more than a hundred times during boss fights. But everyone knows that It feels great when i killed a boss alone and when i found bonefire through the hella difficult monsters.
    Just shut up and buy this game and prepare to die.
  56. Apr 24, 2014
    This is a great game that has always stuck to its guns.With this game being possible even harder than the others. The new idea of life gems and multiple bosses at once caps it all off
  57. May 2, 2014
    Best rpg game of year.Game has very good atmosphereWhile you were playing game you can feel you are in game.Co-op system is the best co-op system ı have seen ever.
  58. Apr 28, 2014
    One of my top 5 favorite games I've ever played. The most polished and well crafted of the Souls games. But, if you don't like challenging games that don't hold your hand and are not linear, skip it. However, it's my game of the year.
  59. May 17, 2014
    WOW! This game is amazing.... I have played Dark Souls for long periods of time in the past and surely enough this one is no different. DS2 is a huge step forward from DS in beauty, world size, and combat options. I see a lot of bad reviews from people complaining about this kicka$$ game, but that's because they are trying to play the game in odd/specific ways and then claiming the game isWOW! This game is amazing.... I have played Dark Souls for long periods of time in the past and surely enough this one is no different. DS2 is a huge step forward from DS in beauty, world size, and combat options. I see a lot of bad reviews from people complaining about this kicka$$ game, but that's because they are trying to play the game in odd/specific ways and then claiming the game is bad because they cant get it to work their way. Do no listen to the bad reviews, I read all of them and not one of them was even remotely accurate. I bet most of the bad reviewers did not even play the game based on the points they complain about... The bottom line is DS2 is a wonderful, beautiful , and addicting game with lots to explore and tons of bosses to slay. Grab a friend and play through some fantastic fights, me and my buddies have played together since the beginning and we are in NG+++ now and still loving it. Expand
  60. May 22, 2014
    Well, don´t know where to begin, Dark souls 1 was the nirvana of games in 2011 with Skyrim, but this game, make you feel like what is supposed to be, a game, it's not hard, it's just what games is about, at least a good game, blood, sweat and tears. The experience beats any other category in Dark Souls 2.
  61. May 24, 2014
    One of my top five favorite games, 3 of which are Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II. Dark Souls II is challenging, the combat is fun, and levelling and exploring the world is addictive. The game isn't for everyone, but once you get into it you will be sucked in.
  62. May 29, 2014
    I love Dark souls 2. Anyways I like what it offered me. A fun co-op, a challenging PvP, some insane bosses. I would definitely suggest buying this game. I love how it challenges me unlike most games.
  63. Jun 1, 2014
    Amazing game from the boss battles to world to the weapons. If you liked dark souls you probably like this game too. Its even harder then the first and adds even more content that will keep you coming back day in and day out for weeks. It is a must buy for anyone who likes a challenge and is overall an almost perfect game. From software hit it out of the park with this game and is quicklyAmazing game from the boss battles to world to the weapons. If you liked dark souls you probably like this game too. Its even harder then the first and adds even more content that will keep you coming back day in and day out for weeks. It is a must buy for anyone who likes a challenge and is overall an almost perfect game. From software hit it out of the park with this game and is quickly becoming one of my favorite games for the xbox 360 and its managing to keep me away from my ps4 and pc. Expand
  64. Jun 7, 2014
    This game has awesome pvp and pve with random people or friends, this and borderlands series are the only games i ever felt could have a second playthrough and still be fun. The only bad thing about the game is if you want to play with friends its kinda hard but its not made to play with friends. It has awesome weapons each one usable and unique for each and every person none linearThis game has awesome pvp and pve with random people or friends, this and borderlands series are the only games i ever felt could have a second playthrough and still be fun. The only bad thing about the game is if you want to play with friends its kinda hard but its not made to play with friends. It has awesome weapons each one usable and unique for each and every person none linear combat. All I have to say is its hard sometimes, (harder than any other game but you will find tricks to make it easy) very long, a lot of stuff to do and collect, you will feel proud, and 10/10 Expand
  65. Jul 3, 2014
    I am going to say first the the Dark Souls series is most likely my favorite game series, so this review will be a bit biased.
    When I first started the game, I will admit it was very confusing in comparison to Dark Soul's beginning. however with a bit of trial and error, a lot of luck and some dying, I soon came to enjoy the difficulty of finding your own path.
    Dark Souls continues to
    Dark Souls continues to do something that most games lack anymore and that is give the player a real challenge. Some may call it tedious repetitive work, but it really is a tough game to play and every time I go through the game I am met with another entertaining challenge once again.
    Multiplayer is a lot more entertaining and fun, as well as cooperative multiplayer.
    The story (if you look into the lore of the game from speculation on YouTube, my personal favorite is Vaati) you will find a story that is so intertwined within itself that you have to really look and delve into the game to uncover all the amazing secrets it holds. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who wants a fun challenge that you wont get in many other games out there.
  66. Oct 25, 2014
    Uno de los mejores juegos de la generación. Como tantos otros no es para todos los públicos y de ahí que haya jugadores frustrados por su dificultad e incapacidad de pasárselo poniéndole ceros justificando su inoperancia y falta de paciencia con el juego. Me ha durado 70 horas que han sido las másinmersivas de la generación juntó a Last of Us, Bioshock, Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect y algunasUno de los mejores juegos de la generación. Como tantos otros no es para todos los públicos y de ahí que haya jugadores frustrados por su dificultad e incapacidad de pasárselo poniéndole ceros justificando su inoperancia y falta de paciencia con el juego. Me ha durado 70 horas que han sido las másinmersivas de la generación juntó a Last of Us, Bioshock, Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect y algunas otras pequeñas joyas. Una maravilla que nadie que se precie como hardcore debe dejar pasar. 10/10 Expand
  67. Sep 28, 2014
    I have played both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 multiple times. Both are excellent games that are designed for a player that doesn't mind taking his or her time to grind through a level. If you die, you start over without any of your souls (money/exp.). However, if you died, it was likely because you rushed or made a mistake. This game tries to teach the player and if you don't learn thenI have played both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 multiple times. Both are excellent games that are designed for a player that doesn't mind taking his or her time to grind through a level. If you die, you start over without any of your souls (money/exp.). However, if you died, it was likely because you rushed or made a mistake. This game tries to teach the player and if you don't learn then prepare to die...a lot. This is not for the "COD" crowd or for anyone that rushes through games. I imagine those people are the ones giving this game low review scores.

Dark Souls as a series uses a minimalist approach. Everything from the story to the music is given in a quiet way. Nobody just tells you exactly what is going on, you have to put the story together yourself using what dialogue is available and by reading item descriptions. The music is usually quiet or completely gone, in order to give you a sense of loneliness. The environment is built in a way to make you feel small. After all, you're not some big hero. Just an insignificant figure trying to survive the world.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough to the right person. If you have some time to kill and want a challenging but rewarding experience, give Dark Souls 2 an honest try.
  68. Nov 17, 2014
    BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!
    Pvp is a but unbalanced but man the game has some incredible bosses and locations!! ................................................................................
  69. Feb 14, 2015
    One of the best games ever, it's brilliance outshines its minor flaws. If you play games to be challenged this is for you.

If you want a game that will play it's self, buy it anyway and get your head examined!
  70. Apr 19, 2015
    Dark souls 2 is an amazing open world rpg, you get tense battle's all the time if it's not pvp its the pve that takes to the limit and if its not hard enough you can go to new game + even the fact that you can get practicly invaded almost every where in the game makes it hard enouhg and if u feel like dieing is not your fould than guess again it is your fould
  71. Mar 24, 2016
    Well I figured since Dark Souls 3 will be coming out soon I might as well replay DS 2 for fun. This game is nothing short of brilliant. (That goes for the whole Soulsborne series to be completely honest). Games these days are just too easy to learn and exploit. This is just so much more unlikely to happen in this game because it really caters to whatever play style you find the most fun. IWell I figured since Dark Souls 3 will be coming out soon I might as well replay DS 2 for fun. This game is nothing short of brilliant. (That goes for the whole Soulsborne series to be completely honest). Games these days are just too easy to learn and exploit. This is just so much more unlikely to happen in this game because it really caters to whatever play style you find the most fun. I don't know if one can really praise it for it's story, but I can say that the small things really add up, such as having to kill certain enemies in order enter certain areas and kill certain bosses. The game really flows, albeit a bit slower than the previous Dark Souls. Expand
  72. Apr 6, 2016
    Dark Souls 2 is probably one of the best games I have played in the last years. It has all the things that made Dark Souls 1 good and improved over it. It has better control mechanics, what made the character more responsive than in the first game. The areas are vast and well developed, very distinct from each other. Some might say the world isn't interconnected as in the first Dark SoulsDark Souls 2 is probably one of the best games I have played in the last years. It has all the things that made Dark Souls 1 good and improved over it. It has better control mechanics, what made the character more responsive than in the first game. The areas are vast and well developed, very distinct from each other. Some might say the world isn't interconnected as in the first Dark Souls but I rather well done and unique areas. There are a lot of bosses and sub bosses all along the game and they never get to the point of being unfair or too easy.

The PvP in the game is great, easily the best of all soul series, including Demon's souls and Bloodborne. It is more friendly to learn and also allows you to start doing it after you are done with the game story, as you don't get locked out of invasions after a boss is dead, that was the case in the first dark souls. The mechanics are vastly improved in the pvp area as well, with more weapon options and spells and a lot of the weapons have special attacks that make them unique. It also features arenas for the players that rather avoid invading/being invaded but still want to engage in pvp.

Its a must have game.
  73. May 3, 2016
    I truly enjoyed this game. This iconic game was a true predecessor to the original dark souls. This is the perfect game for someone up to a challenge. Can't wait or DS III
  74. Jun 13, 2016
    At first it was very frustrating getting used to dying so much but after watching some walk thru guides and trying different things it got easier but still quite difficult game! Very rewarding, great huge world to explore, amazing visuals for last generation systems and the lack of cutscenes was nice as I hate games that are full of dumb cutscenes. Great story tons of RPG options to craftAt first it was very frustrating getting used to dying so much but after watching some walk thru guides and trying different things it got easier but still quite difficult game! Very rewarding, great huge world to explore, amazing visuals for last generation systems and the lack of cutscenes was nice as I hate games that are full of dumb cutscenes. Great story tons of RPG options to craft a character and large weapon magic system. Have not played DS1 but will have to play it after this and Demon Souls. Worth it for cheap price I bought under $10. Expand
  75. Apr 8, 2014
    I'm updating my review for Dark Souls 2 - because my initial review included some inaccurate information.

This game is very similar to the previous games Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. In certain ways it is more like Demons Souls in the overall feel of the game - but like Dark Souls it has improved multi-player capabilities with interconnected worlds, although areas not as connected or impressive as Dark Souls was.

The main thing that has changed are the summoning functions. There are now two soapstones which allow you to be summoned by other players - a small one and a large one. The small one takes you into another players world for a limited mount of time, about 5 min, usually allowing them to navigate from one area to the next, inside the larger area. Once completed you will receive a smooth shiny stone you can exchange for goodies. The large soapstone is more similar to previous games where you join another player and help them beat the level - But this one is also on a timer. I've had numerous times when I was returned to my game during a boss fight or just on the verge of one, leaving the other player stranded.

Also summoning other players is no longer based on soul level (in previous games if you were within 10 levels of another player you could summon each other) but on number of total souls collected. The bad side to the changes is that it will be virtually impossible to play with your friends unless you all create characters at the same time and only use them when playing together. I prefer the level based cooperative in previous games where I tried to keep my soul level low and upgrade my gear so I could help new players and protect them from trolls. The new system encourages you to spend your souls and level up quicker and takes some of the strategy out of the game IMO - it also results in summoning a diversity of different toons with vastly varying gear and skill sets. I'd also prefer if the large soapstone was not timed, it often feels like your abandoning someone when your time is up, and if you're on the other end, having your crew disappear during a boss fight often ends in death.

The good thing about cooperative play is if you die you don't loose your souls, so you can approach cooperative play as a way to farm the area for souls and help someone else out at the same time. If you try farming an area for souls you will find that soon the enemies stop spawning, but throw down your sign and you can continue and do a good deed at the same time :)

In all the souls games I enjoy assisting others more than I enjoy beating the levels - so overall I like the changes. I find it more difficult to play with friends and will have a lot more trouble getting through the game as a SL1 - but if you liked the previous games - you'll like this one. Now if I can just stop playing this and get some laundry done I'll survive.
  76. Jan 2, 2015
    Despite fans concerns that Dark Souls II may be reined back to cater to a wider audience this sequel is every bit as difficult and addictive as its predecessor. What changes there are, such as being able to warp to any discovered bonfire from the outset, are mostly positive and certainly make for a less frustrating experience. The covenant system is also better implemented this timeDespite fans concerns that Dark Souls II may be reined back to cater to a wider audience this sequel is every bit as difficult and addictive as its predecessor. What changes there are, such as being able to warp to any discovered bonfire from the outset, are mostly positive and certainly make for a less frustrating experience. The covenant system is also better implemented this time around, as is the online aspect with summoning and invading others being a much more reliable experience.

Exploring the game world, never knowing what may be around the next corner, is what Dark Souls is all about and From Software have delivered again in an adventure that offers well in excess of 50 hours of gameplay.
  77. Mar 13, 2014
    This game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love itThis game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love it dearly are winners. The game itself, really can't be faulted very much if you like RPGs. It's obviously wonderfully crafted and extremely well done. Expand
  78. Mar 16, 2014
    Fixes all the little things that I did not like in Dark Souls 2. Multiplayer is more strongly encouraged through killing farming methods (monsters stop respawning after a while, unless you put something in the local bonefire).

Covenants are brilliant and really fun, graphics have been really improved and it seems like a longer experience too. I am really having a blast playing this game, and I find it hard to get excited about any other game at the moment, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before, you will want an exclusive relationship with this game.
  79. Aug 7, 2016
    I had a ton of fun with this game. Everything about is oozes quality. Decent replay value also helps this game immensely, in my opinion.

Pros: - Great graphics and performance - Controllers on gamepad feel responsive - Interesting bosses and enemies - Good replay value - Multiplayer is fun (when it works) - Excellent aesthetics and tone (plus writing and lore if you delve into it)

Pros:
    - Great graphics and performance
    - Controllers on gamepad feel responsive
    - Interesting bosses and enemies
    - Good replay value
    - Multiplayer is fun (when it works)
    - Excellent aesthetics and tone (plus writing and lore if you delve into it)

Cons:
    - Bad keyboard + mouse controls
    - Laggy and buggy multiplayer
    - Archery feels like an afterthought
  80. Mar 16, 2014
    Brutally soul crushingly awesome. As with each iteration on the "Souls" franchise, certain aspects evolve and others stay the same. The game does not shy away from challenge, but it is still fair in most cases, and most death can still be avoided by informed, careful play. Certain elements that have changed can initially be confusing, but once you understand the new world, it all worksBrutally soul crushingly awesome. As with each iteration on the "Souls" franchise, certain aspects evolve and others stay the same. The game does not shy away from challenge, but it is still fair in most cases, and most death can still be avoided by informed, careful play. Certain elements that have changed can initially be confusing, but once you understand the new world, it all works very well. Just be prepared for a few hours of trial and error to find the NPCs and some decent equipment.

Do not be fooled by any of the talk about "accessibility". This game is as brutally unforgiving as any in the series. There is a quick section at the beginning with stone markers that give control tips thus keeping you from the frustration of simply not understanding the controls, but you will get smacked around just as quickly there as any other place if you aren't careful.

Lack of next gen, the reuse of sound effects from Dark Souls and a few just plain annoying sounds (running the dry grass) are about the only things I might point out as possible downsides. All around as interesting, challenging and satisfying as the first two titles. A must have for fans and those willing to work through the initial challenge of just figuring out what the heck is going on to find the amazing jewel of a game within.
  81. SBM
    Mar 21, 2014
    I'll try and keep this brief. If you liked Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, you'll like Dark Souls II. It's more refined and less opaque than it's immediate predecessor. I will say that the graphics are nearly identical to DS, and the visuals, (especially pertaining to character models) are outdated. However, this doesn't really bother me, and I doubt the fanbase cares about the quality of theI'll try and keep this brief. If you liked Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, you'll like Dark Souls II. It's more refined and less opaque than it's immediate predecessor. I will say that the graphics are nearly identical to DS, and the visuals, (especially pertaining to character models) are outdated. However, this doesn't really bother me, and I doubt the fanbase cares about the quality of the graphics. On to the good improvements: The covenant system is less confusing, stats are better explained, and the framerate issues from DS (looking at you, Blighttown) are gone. They have added several tools to help you tailor the level of difficulty to your personal preference. Don't get me wrong, the game is hard no matter what, but you can "tweak" the difficulty. If it's not hard enough already (for you masochists) there is a covenant you can join that significantly ups the challenge, there are also consumable items that increase the difficulty of your present area, as well as the returning new game+ feature. If you are having trouble you can summon aid from other players, and in some areas there are optional ways to ease your suffering. I won't get into too much detail, but these will be more apparent when playing for yourself. If you are worried about invasions from other players, I wouldn't be too concerned. I've only been invaded once so far, and it was in the Belltower area, which is something of a dedicated pvp area (much like the forest area in DS). I also have enjoyed the story more this time around (it's still as vague and mysterious as ever though) it just adds a bit more of a personal edge. In previous games you were just a "chosen undead", this time you are still afflicted by the curse of hollowing, but the price is more apparent in the plights of yourself and those sane undead you encounter on your journey. I can't say much more without venturing into spoiler territory, but if you want a challenge and enjoy the haunting atmosphere, get this game! Expand
  82. Mar 11, 2014
    Fantastic sequel. Anyone looking for a real challenge that reaps such satisfying rewards will love Dark Souls 2. Although very difficult, the game reqards patience and exploration. DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THIS GAME. It is meant to be savored. I am only 3 hours in and have only been to 2 different worlds, but there is so much to see and explore that I don't want to move on too quickly. AFantastic sequel. Anyone looking for a real challenge that reaps such satisfying rewards will love Dark Souls 2. Although very difficult, the game reqards patience and exploration. DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THIS GAME. It is meant to be savored. I am only 3 hours in and have only been to 2 different worlds, but there is so much to see and explore that I don't want to move on too quickly. A few changes were made in the sequel, such as being able to travel anywhere at anytime (I personally don't love this change, but it's nice to know that if I get frustrated with a world, I can skip it). However, I'd just rather have an experience like Dark Souls where you have to fight and claw to get out of a place like Blightown and...PRAISE THE SUN. This game is not to be missed.

And Ogly, Skyrim is fantastic. Badl_Doge might be a trolling clown, but how can anyone NOT like Skyrim, is the real question.
  83. Apr 15, 2014
    Aside from a few minor bugs and some pvp issues, the game is great. I've only played Demon Souls prior to this and I would say it's just as fun. However, I think the game could have been made better if it had a low 150-200 level cap, instead of a near infinite one. This would have greatly made PvP better and added to the longevity of the game.
  84. Jun 25, 2014
    The original Dark Souls stands not only as one of the best games of the last generation, but perhaps one of the greatest games ever made. Its atmosphere, gameplay, and difficulty made it an experience unlike any other before it. In this regard, Dark Souls II had large shoes to fill. Thankfully, FromSoftware’s latest entry into the series successfully rekindles the magic of the first gameThe original Dark Souls stands not only as one of the best games of the last generation, but perhaps one of the greatest games ever made. Its atmosphere, gameplay, and difficulty made it an experience unlike any other before it. In this regard, Dark Souls II had large shoes to fill. Thankfully, FromSoftware’s latest entry into the series successfully rekindles the magic of the first game by advancing its gameplay and accessibility.

One excellent aspect of Dark Souls II is its gameplay. The Souls series is known for its impeccable mechanics, and Dark Souls II is no exception. Everything from swordplay to sorcery maintains its high level of detail and complexity. However, these mechanics have been greatly polished, allowing the gameplay experience to be far smoother. These refined controls are accompanied by the traditional and crippling difficulty of the series. Throughout a playthrough, a player will encounter seemingly insurmountable obstacles that test his or her desire to win. The game is also peppered with confrontations with opponents vastly superior in strength, size, and tenacity.

To many people, this difficulty may seem tedious and unappealing. However, the difficulty is what makes the game special. Every failure is the player’s fault, and the game centers itself on learning from defeat. Some of the most exhilarating and fulfilling moments in gaming come from finally besting an enemy after hours of seeming defeat. The fulfillment felt from each victory makes Dark Souls II a remarkably satisfying game to play.

On a technical level, Dark Souls II far surpasses its predecessor. The original Dark Souls struggled to maintain a decent frame rate, and at certain areas the game became nearly unplayable. Dark Souls II, however, is able to run smoothly, never once dropping below 30 frames per second. The improved frame rates, coupled with the reworked graphics, ensure that the game is the series’ most technically sound entry. These enhancements allow the difficulty of the game to stem from actual obstacles rather than unintended technical problems.

The most interesting aspect of Dark Souls II is how it delivers its story. Rather than being presented directly to the player, the narrative is presented subtly. Players are dropped into a world with minimal background information and instructed to piece the big picture together themselves. The lore of the game comes from the enemies fought, locations visited, and items collected. This approach to a narrative makes the game world feel far more natural, as though it existed for thousands of years before you first enter it. And while the melancholy tale of the rise and fall of the kingdom is Drangleic is admittedly less interesting than that of the original Dark Souls, it is still a story worth uncovering.

As a whole, Dark Souls II is superb. FromSoftware has succeeded again in making a punishing yet fulfilling game. The main problem with Dark Souls II, however, is that it doesn’t quite live up to its predecessor. While Dark Souls II is more accessible and easier to play, it feels more like a game and less like a true experience. The original Dark Souls was remarkable in both design and atmosphere. The creativity and enjoyably depressing nature of the original produced a remarkable experience unlike any game made before it. Dark Souls II does not live up to this mold. It tries very hard to rekindle the magic of its predecessor, but in doing so it fails to find its own identity.

Dark Souls II is a better game, but it is not a better experience.
  85. Apr 10, 2014
    A great sequel. The gameplay is similar to dark souls but with enough changes and improvements. The game has more places, bosses and weapons, etc. The graphic is not what they showed on E3 but it is good enough. I love the covenants, co-op and pvp. IMO, the game is easier than the first one because magic is so overpower. I enjoy this game, but for some reason I love the first game moreA great sequel. The gameplay is similar to dark souls but with enough changes and improvements. The game has more places, bosses and weapons, etc. The graphic is not what they showed on E3 but it is good enough. I love the covenants, co-op and pvp. IMO, the game is easier than the first one because magic is so overpower. I enjoy this game, but for some reason I love the first game more than this one. Expand
  86. Jul 26, 2014
    So, Dark Souls 2.

Story : If you have played Dark Souls before, you'll know the kind of theme that has been set already. For those of you who skipped the first game, lore wise you won't be in for much of a treat. The characters aren't all that interesting in the sequel, to be fair you wouldn't care at all if they died because you don't feel any form of attachment to them. Gameplay :
    So, Dark Souls 2.

Gameplay : So, many things have been improved upon over the original. The combat mechanics have been tweaked a fair bit which as a PvP player, made fights far more interesting compared to the consistent back-stab fishing from the original. The movement has also been refined, you feel more in control of your characters movements now, whether traveling or fighting. The enemies in the game are diverse when it comes to difficulty, they still require decent thought process and strategies to beat, but you'll find yourself being ganked on by enemies more in this game which in my opinion feels like a cheap difficulty factor. Enemies have better tracking on this game too, melee based enemies consistently pressure you and sometimes force you into making mistakes due to their tenacity but that's just the norm with Dark Souls.

Graphics : The game looks much better, smoother and detailed. The only thing which put me off was the level design. With the original game, each area felt connected, with this one, areas feel out of place and simply do not make sense in terms of how you transition from one place to another.

Sound : The sound is fairly good, nothing to complain about on this front. Although, I will add that the song when fighting the end boss compared to the fight with Gwyn on the original felt a bit lackluster, which in my opinion made for a fairly mediocre encounter.

Overall : Truth be told, when it comes to gameplay, DS2 is the much better game. However the characters, level design and lore felt a bit lackluster. The major boss encounters in the game were a bit boring, not due to their mechanics but simply the idea that each fight felt somewhat pointless. You still gain that sense of achievement though so if you want a decent challenge you won't go unfed. It's definitely worth picking up.

Too long ; didn't read : Buy Dark Souls 2 for the Gameplay / Buy Dark Souls for the experience. They both shine in different areas.
  87. Mar 12, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a glorious lovechild of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It provides the best of both worlds while remaining exceptionally challenging and rewarding. The world is dark, dangerous and full of atmosphere, carrying on Dark Souls' seamless areas. Every area is connected in some way and it gives incredible depth to the world. Funny enough, however, it is in this pointDark Souls II is a glorious lovechild of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It provides the best of both worlds while remaining exceptionally challenging and rewarding. The world is dark, dangerous and full of atmosphere, carrying on Dark Souls' seamless areas. Every area is connected in some way and it gives incredible depth to the world. Funny enough, however, it is in this point exactly that we see one of Dark Souls II's small flaws.

While the world is seamless and vast, you are allowed to 'quick travel' from bonfire to bonfire with no restrictions. This is a convenient service, and indeed might be considered necessary by many, but it detracts from the large world it helps you travel. One of the challenges of Dark Souls was trying to make your way out of a challenging area that you just conquered. In Dark Souls II this is not present, as you may simply use a bonfire to escape the area to safety.

This removes some of the challenge from the game and can make the world seem smaller than it really is. While there is definitely a lot of exploration to be had in Dark Souls II, many players will probably not have a chance to see it all in favor of traveling from bonfire to bonfire to progress the game. With some restrictions set in place, such as requiring an item or souls to use the quick travel, there would be more incentive to travel large distances on foot and it is my hope that FromSoftware takes this to heart for the next installment.

In true Demon's Souls style leveling your character has also changed. No longer do you level at any bonfire; you must now speak to a certain character every time you wish to level. While many will miss the ease of leveling at any bonfire, this system adds more to the world and makes you truly feel like you are getting stronger.

The combat in Dark Souls II is an improvement over the first games and adds some much needed changes. Dual wielding in combat is viable in skilled hands, and archery finds itself more useful as well. Most of the controls have carried over, with some small variations (such as the 'dash jump'), making it easy to pick up and play the game if you have played any of the games before. However, combat is not without its annoyances.

The addition of the 'Adaptability' statistic is an illustration of one of the new annoyances added in Dark Souls II. Raising your Adaptability stat increases some of your resistances but, more importantly, your Agility. Raising your Agility affects the 'speed' of your animations. What does this mean? If you have little Adaptability, and your agility is low, there will be a 'delay' between swinging an attack and your next action. This may not seem terribly bad at first, but if you are fighting more than one enemy and you attack one of them you may find yourself not having enough time to react to an attack from another. It makes fighting multiple enemies extremely frustrating as you have very little chances to attack with no fear of retaliation.

Despite this small annoyance combat is fresh and fun and requires a great amount of skill to get the most out of. This is very noticeable in healing items, actually. The Estus Flask from Dark Souls has returned but a new addition is the Lifegem. Lifegems have much quicker animations than the Estus Flask but restore health over time, slowly, rather than all at once. This sounds simple at first, but requires a tactical mind to get the most out of. The difference between using an Estus Flask or a Lifegem is a matter of life and death.

Lastly, Dark Souls II has an incredible sound track and sound effects. This is immediately noticeable on the Title Screen, boasting a very nice song. The ambient sounds as you travel as well really help set the mood and it is easy to get lost in the world. Each enemy is given life as they are all given sounds to completely fit their character.

Overall, Dark Souls II is a worthy successor to the games before it. Indeed, its flaws are small enough that it might even trump them both.
  88. Mar 23, 2014
    Dark Souls II is fantastic. Like all games, it does have its flaws; the controls not always respond the way they should is the one I have noticed the most, but this doesn't take much away from the experience. DkSII certainly feels like it flows better than its predecessor, and combat feel more dynamic, if slightly unfamiliar at first. Like DkS, it is fair, challenging and rewarding, butDark Souls II is fantastic. Like all games, it does have its flaws; the controls not always respond the way they should is the one I have noticed the most, but this doesn't take much away from the experience. DkSII certainly feels like it flows better than its predecessor, and combat feel more dynamic, if slightly unfamiliar at first. Like DkS, it is fair, challenging and rewarding, but will not hesitate to try and punish you for doing something stupid, like attacking the ogre in the first area. Other major improvements, in my opinion, include the inventory system, the message system, and the hollowing system. The loss of a percentage of your total health not only works well in the world and the story, but gives you a stronger incentive not to die (as if you needed one). Not to mention the fact that it is even more rewarding to beat a boss when your maximum health is at 50%.

In summary, DkSII has many improvements over DkS, and is a fantastic game, if you're up for a challenge. But like DkS, it is not for the faint of heart or the short of temper.
  89. May 7, 2014
    Okay, so i've finished Dark Souls II now. I haven't played any other games from this company and i was curious indeed about what's the hype about. The difficulty etc.

I landed on level 141 and the whole game took me around 60hours to complete. Story: It's nothing that will catch your eye. Its about King Vendrick that cursed you, and your seeking the four giant souls to blast him

I landed on level 141 and the whole game took me around 60hours to complete.

Story:
    It's nothing that will catch your eye. Its about King Vendrick that cursed you, and your seeking the four giant souls to blast him down. In the game, you will experience around 5 cutscenes (which is good).
    I didnt care for the story at all, the world and all the enemies are already consuming ur attention.

Gameplay:
    Here is where the game shines, it has some flaws around the hit box, and sometimes you can get glitced, example: I kited a dragon and when i went thru a cave, his flame breath killed me from the side which wouldnt happen realistic. But hey, other than that the gameplay is flawless. You have super combat with an impressive shield/sword combat or an ranged class. Enemies are just swinging giant swords, casting magic and knives at you. It's beautifuly done and i applaud From Software for doing this. Their work is very impressive and i havent seen such a wonderful combat system in a while within RPG-genre.

Graphics:
    For me, its all about the inside. (^^) but for some people who really depend on graphics, Dark Souls have their biggest flaw here, or well the only flaw that i would say. The game isnt really pretty. It looks like it's been made in 2012, or heck even later then that. Skyrim is more beautiful on all places, even tho it's alot older. I didnt care about that, but im giving you guys a hint.

Tho the game have some beautiful enviroments and the arts of the enemies, trees, bosses are just phenonemal. When you play the game, you can already tell from the first hours that they havent put all their effort here. It's clear that they went old-school hardcore and did all the work on the details of the game instead of the shallowness of graphics.

Audio:
    Beautiful songs, haunting and even tense sounds. They have it all covered. Your feelings will adapt to the songs of the situation since they have covered so nicely, you can tell when your getting scared, chased or just "chilling" around. It's alot like Skyrim. They really depend on the situation and i love it alot. Haven't noticed anything bad.

Difficulty: You dont have any options in the start of the game, it's only one difficulty. (Which is "normal" i guess?)
    Me myself prefer a challenge, and i have probably died around 200-300 times under the first round of the game. I would suggest playing this in a calm state of mind because other than that, your gonna rage alot. The thing i like is that the game itself isnt really hard, it just takes alot of effort, concentration and focus on enemy patterns. It's like what they mentioned here in one of the Critic Review: You gotta let Dark Souls 2 devour you first before you can devour it, and it pretty much sums it up.

You will die alot, and only because of your own mistakes and not because you ended up in a glitch or something and that's what i like. You die, take a deep breath and think for yourself: "What did i do wrong?) And thats the beauty of this game.

Anyway, here's a quick review from me. I wont bother with spellings or anything else. I think you got the point.

Pros:
    Amazing combat
    beautiful and fitting sound
    enriched area's of mystic items, hiddens paths etc.
    Bosses with unique spells and patterns, alot of items and weapons.

Cons:
    Outdated graphics,

The NPC's didnt really interest me. The fact that some of them give you an item after 5 times you have spoken to them, dosent give you the motivation to actually listen and engage like you would do in Skyrim. And some of them have poor conversation-routes.

Most of the things arent explained in the game, I had to check the internet for guides, walkthroughs and such cause the games dosent give you an path really. It just kicks you into this world and "bye".

Wasen't really an issue for me, but for some people i can tell that it would be frustrating, also some of the inventory signs dosent have an explanation. I couldnt, or should i say i cant still tell what some of the icon stands for and i get that the game wanna make you explore it, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I would like to know what benefits my armor does and how it helps me.

For those who like an RPG-Action with challenge, interesting enemys and bosses that WILL make you rage or even cry at some point. I recommend this. After i bought this, im gonna purchase the first DS and try it out.
  90. Apr 23, 2014
    Let me start by saying i love dark souls 1 and 2 but dark souls 2 has to be my favorite out of the two because of what it did to improve the combat and enemies in the game. The first thing i noticed when i was placed into the first area of the game was the great atmosphere of the game, It sets up a old island that was once beautiful but has been turned into ruins over time. Dark souls 2Let me start by saying i love dark souls 1 and 2 but dark souls 2 has to be my favorite out of the two because of what it did to improve the combat and enemies in the game. The first thing i noticed when i was placed into the first area of the game was the great atmosphere of the game, It sets up a old island that was once beautiful but has been turned into ruins over time. Dark souls 2 also gives the immediate sense of danger even before you get to customize your character because you start with nothing. The character creator hasn't improved though it still has the awkward default faces that can now have custom tattoos but non of this matters because most of the time you wont see your characters face because you are normally wearing a helmet. Combat has been improved dramatically over dark souls 1 you can now do a shield break to stagger and critical hit an enemy and backstabbing has become harder to do which makes the PvP more balanced and fair. That said PvP is now more rewarding and fun because of the reduce in lag and covenants like the rat king covenant let you summon grey spirits of other players into two certain locations that you can unlock traps. npc's and hidden path ways to kill your invader in easier ways. The locations in Drandeliec (dark souls 2) i find better than the those in lordran (dark souls 1) because they are more varied with their own specific theme and enemy types like the forest of fallen giants which houses zombies and giant knights with turtle Armour on their backs, and the gutter which is where all the dead body's and junk get thrown causing poison enemies to spawn down in the pits. Speaking of enemies the AI for most of the enemies has been improved where some will still jump to their death for no reason most and smarter with their attacks using them when you are more vulnerable and run back to heal while others move up to defend them. The bosses in the game are varied in difficulty where some are laughably easy and die in a few seconds some and incredibly hard and require help to beat them which is fine by me because i love a challenge but some were stupidly hard because of things you have to do before you enter the boss area like burn something so the boss arena isn't filled with poison that slowly kills you but heals the boss. Now i want to say some things i dont like about the game, the new system of losing your max health when you did up to 50% is good in theory but when it plays out it isnt fun because the only way to get it back is using a human effigy (which also lets you summon other players to help you) and at the start they are limited which caused me a problem because i had to grind for an hour to get one which i then summoned a person who was great enough to give me lots of Human Effigy but the max health thing seriously screwed me up on certain areas. Another thing which isnt really the games fault and this serves as more of a warning DONT KILL NPC MERCHANTS because you get a sinner status which lets players from the way of blue covenant to invade you as an arbiter and they are normally really powerful and spawn almost next to you giving them a huge advantage if you aren't ready. Another problem is near the end of the game it doesnt tell you what to do with this item you get and its really obscure what you have to do to get to the final boss im not going to say what you have to do but i needed to look it up after 5 hours of searching. On a closing note i would like to say that if you enjoyed demon souls or dark souls 1 get this game because it is the best one yet and i hope it gets a game of the year award from someone. Pros: difficult but fair (most of the time), PvP improved, Lag Improved, Creative areas and enemy design. Cons: losing health when you die with lack of human effigies on the map, doesn't tell you what to do most of the time, unfair PvP spawns in certain areas. Final Score 9/10 Expand
  91. May 2, 2014
    Easily one of the best and most rewarding games this year. Good follow up to Dark Souls 1, able to keep sense of danger, discovery, mystery, and high level of challenge that we all came to love. The only downside I feel I can pick out is the lack of a good story. In Dark Souls I felt the whole time like I was working hard and sweating during boss battles for a single purpose and all ofEasily one of the best and most rewarding games this year. Good follow up to Dark Souls 1, able to keep sense of danger, discovery, mystery, and high level of challenge that we all came to love. The only downside I feel I can pick out is the lack of a good story. In Dark Souls I felt the whole time like I was working hard and sweating during boss battles for a single purpose and all of the areas and bosses fed the main story. I think Dark Souls 2 lacks the sense of interconnectivity with the levels and bosses and you feel like you are just beating areas to, well, beat that particular area. Other than that, great game, great sequel. Expand
  92. Mar 15, 2014
    While not quite as good as the original Dark Souls 2 still provides the intense challenge, rewarding combat and an interesting game world to explore. A very harcore and worthwhile game.
  93. Jul 19, 2014
    Alright, I'll try to cover almost everything about dark souls 2. Just like in DS1, every time you die you become a hollow. And trust me, this will happen A LOT. It also means you lose all the souls you have collected up to that point and lose bit of your max HP (You'll lose up to 50% of max HP). There's good news and bad news when you lose those souls. The good news is that you can goAlright, I'll try to cover almost everything about dark souls 2. Just like in DS1, every time you die you become a hollow. And trust me, this will happen A LOT. It also means you lose all the souls you have collected up to that point and lose bit of your max HP (You'll lose up to 50% of max HP). There's good news and bad news when you lose those souls. The good news is that you can go retrieve those souls from where you have died. The bad news is that if you die along the way, and I MEAN WHEN YOU ARE 1/4 INCHES AWAY AND YOU DIE, those souls will be gone forever. This is why entering white mist with large amount of souls is not a good idea, since there could be a boss behind it. This is why it is a good idea to spend those souls regularly on leveling up, buying new gears, upgrading those gears, etc. This way, you won't have much to lose. The boss fights are epic too. The music that cues when the fight begins perfectly matches the look of the boss. Some bosses are pretty easy, but I feel the difficulty of these bosses goes up way too suddenly. Every area accept for the first two have one or two bosses, and while one boss can be easy the other can be really hard, meaning you'll have to come back later after you level up more. The combat mechanic has definitely improved. The dual wielding is fully functional and you can create new combos with it. One of the common strategy I use is lock on, go around, hit it from side or back. Your rolling will be your life savior, and you'll need to learn to time the roll perfectly, or else you'll still get hit.

As much as this game is punishingly difficult, that does not mean it feels rewarding. Entering new areas are very exciting, and every areas have something to explore. The first open area that you'll enter is called Majula, and when you enter this area It;ll take your breath away with it's gorgeous view. But that doesn't mean I like all the areas. Some areas are dark and it requires you to use the torch, and the lighting can be very annoying since your shadow goes everywhere. Also when you want to dual-wield, you have to drop the torch and go find nearest fire source to light it up again.

Lastly, I want to mention that This game WILL annoy/make you rage. But it'll do that just enough to make you want to try again. You'll have mental breakdown at least once, but you won't have another one for a long time.

Dark Souls 2 is a great game, with nice graphic (even on the 360) but it is still one of the hardest games I've every played. 9/10
  94. Sep 27, 2014
    Now in my review for the first one I will say I was a bit quick to jump the gun and never truly give this game a chance.

My mind has changed in this new installment (and after giving the first one a second run) This game is what the direction that konami should've taken castlevania to besides that god of war wannabe garbage. The game mechanics are smooth and the challenge is real.

The game mechanics are smooth and the challenge is real. Honestly my biggest enemy besides my own stupid choices would be gravity.

I've learned after playing both DS games that I've been spoiled over the years with the easy difficulty of how modern games are. This game will teach you patience and how to overcome obstacles like in the old school NES days.

I mean imagine castlevania symphony of the night and if konami kept that darkness and challenge and moved forward into the future with it... well from software did that with the "souls" series.

It may not be castlevania but its what we've wanted that series to do for us today.

Its no skyrim and people making comparisons need to know its like comparing an apple to a hotdog.. I mean really... 2 different things here buddies.

The PVP is great and co op is also a plus here.

You can invade others worlds and mess up their day ohhhh joyyyyyy my favorite
    but they can do it to you.... damn... but fun!!!!

DLC is fairly priced and adds even more fun unlike todays games that just give you the unfinished bits of a game just to make extra money.

The souls series is keeps that Nintendo tradition going on when it comes to good quality games.

However it lacks in a few areas... in which to be honest isn't that big of a deal kinda like a really big pizza with one bad topping on it... its not a big deal if you eat around it.

It lacks in the communication area.. yeah you can do all sorts of gestures but online you can only private chat there is no party chat which is a bummer if you have 2 people you are co oping with and would be nice to talk trash to people you beat in PVP vs sending them a message.

Also the invading part upsets me because due to how difficult it is to get effigies I will pretty much say if an invader defeats you then you lose your humanity.

Also ghost damage on PVP is a big no no and sometimes has me rage quit or how op a spell caster is.. sometimes it seems like there are hackers but its not too often... Some weapons hitboxes (spears) in pvp is a little retarded op....

Like I said its not much to ruin a game but its enough to keep me from giving it a 10.

This game is one of the few games out there today actually worth its price, and the replay value is high.
    if you get bored you can cosplay a character. Heck I did a faith caster with a sword and he looked like trunks from dragon ball z. you can cosplay almost anything just look it up on youtube.

Good game and thank you from software. I apologize about my last review on the first one... I was ignorant of the awesomeness then and spoiled from typical shooters
  95. Oct 27, 2015
    This game is adventure role playing game. This game has not life bar or life point if player had hit, player will die. The game graphic id good. Overall the game is exciting to play.
  96. Mar 13, 2014
    See the full review @ http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/dark-souls-2-review/

First off I’m going to start this off with a warning; you will not enjoy this game if you are a casual pick-up-and-play-wow-this-game’s-easy sort of gamer. This is a game designed by hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers and it is a job well done indeed! They say you should start as you mean to go on and Dark Souls II
    See the full review @ http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/dark-souls-2-review/

They say you should start as you mean to go on and Dark Souls II seems to take that idea and run with it! The word epic gets splashed around allot these days and I try not to overuse it but this is deserving of such a title, it is one of the most captivating and beautiful looking videos I’ve seen in a long time. They could make a movie out of it and I would watch the ever-loving crap out of it! At times I was actually struggling to decide whether the scenery was actual footage or just ridiculously well animated, either way it was something special. Now allot of the time when a game kicks off with a spectacle of an opening video the game fails to live up to expectations and while the visuals in the game are not quite as stunning as the video they are still absolutely nothing to be scoffed at! The backdrops especially are almost works of art and considering that one moment you may be wandering through a dank, claustrophobic and overgrown forest and the next you find yourself in a huge, open and bright ocean-view area it transitions perfectly and feels somewhat natural and right!

The gameplay itself is a relatively straight forward system but whereas most games give you a tutorial to start with and hold your hand while you practise Dark Souls II doesn’t have time for you **** nonsense, it gives you a brief tutorial covering the basics and a rough idea about what your main goal is and then… Well that’s it actually, then you’re on your own to explore, to fight and to die (you will die, you will die over and over again)

Let’s talk about death shall we? It’s no secret that Dark Souls wants to kill you. They outright tell you in the introduction that you’re going to repeatedly die and then laugh about it. Something which they fail to mention to you however is that every time you die you not only lose all the souls you’ve collected but you also lose a piece of your humanity and become a mere husk of a man. Not only does this mean that your body starts rotting away it also means that every time you come back to life you return with a smaller health bar, this carries on until you decided that you miss your humanity enough to use a human effigy to make yourself whole again. Sounds pretty simple right? Nope! Human effigies are a rarity so I personally found myself very begrudging to use one to restore myself. This adds a decent dynamic to the game as you have to weigh up whether you want to carry out struggling through with a half-sized health-bar and use the effigy when you desperately need it or use it now to become pretty again and then run the risk of being boned later when you meet one of the bigger meaner enemies.

The world itself is actually a relatively linear one with only one real main bath to the goal but it is done in such a way that there is always an extra route you can take or a location you can explore off the beaten track. This makes it feel like an open worlder and it genuinely does feel vast. Add to that the fact that absolutely everything wants to kill you (and is very good at doing so) then it adds excitement into the exploration side of it as you never actually know what you’re going to stumble across or how deadly it will be. My first example of learning the hard way was right at the start of the game in a forest that is generally only inhabited by the undead who are fairly easy to kill, I noticed a create down by the water so I thought I’d go attack it thinking it would be as easy as the undead. I hit it once and it picked me up and bit my head clean off in one fell swoop…

This was 10 minutes into the game…
  97. Mar 11, 2014
    Having played only Dark Souls I loved it. I purchased the game a good year and a half after it had come out and was a little disappointed that most of the gamers and secrets were already spoiled. Encounters were with guys that had maxed their character out or what have you. Dark Souls 2 I'm on day 1 and it's everything I could have hoped for. While you have to progress a bit before gettingHaving played only Dark Souls I loved it. I purchased the game a good year and a half after it had come out and was a little disappointed that most of the gamers and secrets were already spoiled. Encounters were with guys that had maxed their character out or what have you. Dark Souls 2 I'm on day 1 and it's everything I could have hoped for. While you have to progress a bit before getting into the covenants (real means of invading or helping players) it's not that far in and you'll gladly play the game to get there.

One flaw I've found with Dark Souls 2 is that the enemies don't respawn after a certain amount of kills. This discourages farming and that was one of my favorite aspects of the old game. Farming humanity from the rats in the Depths was awesome to me. Especially with my high leveled gear and moves.

The game is a 9/10 for the reason stated above. I really wish that there was some place I could do my grinding...
  98. Mar 12, 2014
    1 thing to say, Darth Maul Sword.

Positives: Ok so its not a light-saber, but it is a dual sided sword you can swing around like Darth Maul. That alone should be reason enough to pick up this game not to mention the massive amount of content that follows. This game is a mixture between Demon's/Dark souls while at the same time having elements that are singular to this 3rd game, like
    1 thing to say, Darth Maul Sword.

Positives:
    Ok so its not a light-saber, but it is a dual sided sword you can swing around like Darth Maul. That alone should be reason enough to pick up this game not to mention the massive amount of content that follows. This game is a mixture between Demon's/Dark souls while at the same time having elements that are singular to this 3rd game, like the aformentioned dual blade. You can fast travel between bonfires which act like the archstones in Demon's souls but are free to explore the open world like in Dark souls as well.

This is not only the most massive iteration of the series, its also the best graphically almost as much of a leap as between the first 2 games. Its also the most well crafted of the three. The themes make more sense in this game. Where can you find titanite, well its in a cavern as it should be. And the places you explore are much more varied and awe inspiring, even more so than the original Dark Souls, (and that's saying something!).

There are about 10 times more bosses in this game which are also much more creative and varied. There are better and more variation in weapons and combat. The armor/character/enemy designs are better and the combat itself is more challenging since you can't just spam back stabs anymore. Its amazing how this game seems to top its predecessor in almost every aspect.

Negatives:
    Its definitely the hardest of the 3. frustratingly so at times
    The only gripes I have are that hidden walls are no longer just there for you to find, and instead you "pay" to reveal hidden areas with a certain item in the game. Also the fact that you can fast travel is actually a bit disorienting since you often forget where the various sub-paths are located. Also some of the actual progress in the game is done by exhausting every dialogue from NPC's which can be a bit confusing and forces you to listen to their (sometimes not so interesting) conversations. Also just in general the NPC dialogue is not as good as it was in dark souls, but that's probably the only thing that is worse.

Overall this is definitely the best of the 3 Souls games, and offers more than enough new mechanics to satisfy even the hardcore Dark Souls veterans. A must buy for fans of the series. Because Darth Maul Sword.

9.5/10
  99. Mar 13, 2014
    Not as good as dark souls one in some areas while improving on it in others. The game still feels that really open feeling with multiple ways to go to the same place but with being a bit more linear on how you get there. Bosses are challenging but not as memorable as they used to be although there is a ton of bosses. Improved lighting and animations are the 2 most obvious changes inNot as good as dark souls one in some areas while improving on it in others. The game still feels that really open feeling with multiple ways to go to the same place but with being a bit more linear on how you get there. Bosses are challenging but not as memorable as they used to be although there is a ton of bosses. Improved lighting and animations are the 2 most obvious changes in graphics. Small things like not being able to level up whenever and the (imo) over punishing dying punishment which reduces your max hp stop this game from being a perfect 10. Expand
  100. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 delivers an immense world full of challenging obstacles and bosses. The graphics display is quite beautiful compared to Dark Souls. Things such as health penalties, which reduce health upon each death (until health is restricted halfway), prove to make the game challenging but doesn’t get in the way for a person like me to enjoy the game (it can also be undone so don't worry).Dark Souls 2 delivers an immense world full of challenging obstacles and bosses. The graphics display is quite beautiful compared to Dark Souls. Things such as health penalties, which reduce health upon each death (until health is restricted halfway), prove to make the game challenging but doesn’t get in the way for a person like me to enjoy the game (it can also be undone so don't worry). In order to defeat enemies, figure out their patterns and attack when there's a viable opening. Boss battles are challenging so be prepared to die. Take a break every once in a while to prevent frustration builds up. For those coming into this game with no experience in Demon Souls or Dark Souls, I highly advise playing those games as well in order to adapt to this game, especially in terms of combat. Overall, I highly recommend this game and I’m sure many of you will find some enjoyment out of this experience.

Side note: The graphics aren't terrible (Response to User: Deusex) and for those who gave this game
    anything as low as a 0(Deusex), then this game is not for you.

1. Oct 9, 2014
    Though it lasts a long time and provides a decent challenge, I think it really needed an extra push on top of what the game contains. I would describe it as just above average, but that’s as far as I’d go.
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    Its over dependence on group battles, less interesting boss designs and a slightly more forgettable world let it down, but none of this is so severe that it stops it from becoming another superb entry into one of the best series of games of all time.
  3. Mar 25, 2014
    If you have any interest in playing this game after reading this review, do yourself a favor and get it now. If you allow yourself to be enthralled with its atmosphere and game play you’ll become an avid fan just like me.