Dark Souls Xbox 360

8.4

1. Jan 18, 2015
    A spiritual successor to the PS3 only Demon Souls, Dark Souls is a game like nothing else available on the Xbox360. As you may well have already have heard you will die a lot in the process of attempting to complete the game. In the 75+ hours it took me to finish I would estimate that I suffered in excess of one hundred deaths. Unlike a number of other games I could name however thisA spiritual successor to the PS3 only Demon Souls, Dark Souls is a game like nothing else available on the Xbox360. As you may well have already have heard you will die a lot in the process of attempting to complete the game. In the 75+ hours it took me to finish I would estimate that I suffered in excess of one hundred deaths. Unlike a number of other games I could name however this rarely (Blight Town’s frame rates and a certain archer being the exception) became frustrating as each death can be seen as a learning experience allowing you to progress just that little bit further next time.

Following a short, but tough, tutorial section the player finds themselves in an open world that they are free to explore any direction they choose. Never knowing what is around the next corner provides a truly tense yet exhilarating experience and reaching a bonfire (the games equivalent of checkpoints) provides such a huge sense of relief that you will often find yourself letting out a deep breath.

All this is backed up by an excellent combat system that allows for the use of magic, bow and melee tactics as well as any combination in between. Forgoing the use of complex button combinations success depends on quickly working out the attack patterns of the huge variety of enemies and launching your own attacks at just the right moment. A seconds lapse in concentration can be fatal even against the games most basic foes!

If all this sounds impossible help is fortunately always at hand from fellow on-line players. Using an item found early in the game players can leave messages for each other providing information on how to find secret areas or on the weaknesses of certain enemies. It is even possible to summon another player into your world in order to assist you on a particularly troublesome boss and this can go a long way to swinging the odds in your favour.

For anyone looking for something just that bit different I can't recommend Dark Souls highly enough, just ensure that you have the internet handy as the game doesn't clearly explain many of the concepts that are vital if you are to make any kind of progress.
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    While I know allot of people rave on about this game being the ultimate challenge, in my opinion it isn't. Don't get me wrong, it is a really good game with excellent visuals, a deep and complex world that just begs you to explore it. Combat is a little flimsy and could have been improved to be a bit more forgiving, to me I feel this is partially responsible for the difficulty level, butWhile I know allot of people rave on about this game being the ultimate challenge, in my opinion it isn't. Don't get me wrong, it is a really good game with excellent visuals, a deep and complex world that just begs you to explore it. Combat is a little flimsy and could have been improved to be a bit more forgiving, to me I feel this is partially responsible for the difficulty level, but with practice it can be worked with. This game really reminds me of the old days and coin operated arcades. Sticking quarter after quarter into a game that just seemed designed to swallow your money. Yet with enough money (and a bucket load of patience) you beat it and felt fantastic. Then you just repeated this process until the game was burned into your mind and you could finish it with just one coin, feeling like the ultimate bad@$$. Dark Souls seems to follow this philosophy a bit, giving that same kind of satisfaction. But, challenge aside, there is a reason this style of gaming stopped being popular. It's really nothing more than a glorified version of trial and error and isn't appealing to the casual gamer (which makes up a LARGE percentage of the gaming market.) Overall: A game that is less than it appears to be. For a younger audience, this will be a breath of fresh air and a feeling that will be new and exciting, especially for those looking for a "challenge." For an older audience and more casual gamers just looking for fun it'll not have too much appeal. I really wanted to like this game, but even with such a wondrous world and beautiful visuals, I just couldn't ignore how simple and flawed the overall concept is. Hopefully the sequel will be able to add some depth to the narrative and give the gameplay a bit more character (at least one that doesn't feel like a beaten prisoner.) Expand
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    At first, you'll think to yourself that Dark Souls is the hardest game ever. Every enemy can kill you in a few seconds, the world is covered in Bosses and booby traps, and you continue to die frequently. However, after about 5 hours, you realize that the game really isn't difficult: It's strict. It's not like the deaths are unfair. The game just has a set of very specific rules that itAt first, you'll think to yourself that Dark Souls is the hardest game ever. Every enemy can kill you in a few seconds, the world is covered in Bosses and booby traps, and you continue to die frequently. However, after about 5 hours, you realize that the game really isn't difficult: It's strict. It's not like the deaths are unfair. The game just has a set of very specific rules that it wants you to follow, and if you don't, you will die. In that regard, the game is masterful. It teaches you how to play the game with every death you have rather than with the use of extended tutorials and menus. You begin to develop strategies, calculate risks, and explore further. For this reason and many more, Dark Souls is one of the best games around. It's a must play. Expand
  4. Nov 24, 2014
    This game is all about gameplay. And Its rock solid. I havent played other game with this good combat system. I know its hard, the boss life bars are ridiculously big. But i get the feeling that its just like it should be. If Id get there in my real life i would die just as many times as the mc of this game does.
    Strongly recommend, best RPG gameplay wise.
  5. Jan 20, 2015
    This is one of the worst, most boring games I have ever played

PROS
    -good graphics

CONS
    -sad
    -too much to learn
    -boring
    -slow
    -too hard

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!
  6. Mar 17, 2014
    This is a game sheer will power. Wonderful mechanics and hard as hell situations. The graphics are sub-par but the game play more than makes up for it. I die over and over... and just when I walk away in disgust and lay down for bed it hits me.... I need to do this and then that THEN THIS! Jump up, grab a drink, die a few more times and then VICTORY! The boss goes DOWN. Its now 4 AMThis is a game sheer will power. Wonderful mechanics and hard as hell situations. The graphics are sub-par but the game play more than makes up for it. I die over and over... and just when I walk away in disgust and lay down for bed it hits me.... I need to do this and then that THEN THIS! Jump up, grab a drink, die a few more times and then VICTORY! The boss goes DOWN. Its now 4 AM and I need to be up in an hour...

Yes its that addictive. But if you do not have patience this is not the game for you. Great voice acting and incredible to play. Would love improved graphics, but game play always trumps graphics.
  7. Jun 7, 2014
    To say Dark Souls is challenging is an understatement. Dark Souls is about as challenging as video games get. It's that challenge that will drive you to play the game through to the end and it's what makes it so satisfying to complete each challenge. Dark Souls is only for the hardcore but they will get a lot out of it.

Alongside the challenge is an excellent combat system. It's fun and

Alongside the challenge is an excellent combat system. It's fun and hard to fight the enemies. It preforms flawlessly and works well with the RPG system. The bosses are some of the best not only of this generation but some of them will go down as the best bosses ever. They aren't your typical bosses, in fact many of them are completely unique. They are all hard as nails and so very satisfying to kill. If you're a hardcore gamer looking for a genuinely challenging experience look no further.
  8. Oct 22, 2011
    I came in not knowing what to expect as I had never played Demon's Souls and knew nothing about the series except I'd read a lot of good reviews, and it was a sort of western-themed JRPG/hack and slash. Aside from the incomprehensible story common to most games from Japan, Dark Souls is a great experience, but it's definitely not for everyone. It is VERY difficult and gives zero help toI came in not knowing what to expect as I had never played Demon's Souls and knew nothing about the series except I'd read a lot of good reviews, and it was a sort of western-themed JRPG/hack and slash. Aside from the incomprehensible story common to most games from Japan, Dark Souls is a great experience, but it's definitely not for everyone. It is VERY difficult and gives zero help to people either new to the series or these types of games in general. The checkpoint bonfires are few and far between, and there is a sort of penalty for using them (enemies respawn). Enemies can and will use 'cheap' attacks, stunlocking you or killing you in 2 hits. Difficult bosses appear from nowhere and cause you to lose all your accumulated souls. Sometimes you make a mistake and a group of normal enemies absolutely wipe the floor with you. But you know... all of that is part of Dark Souls charm. Playing it I was reminded of Vagrant Story and if you can get past the difficulty, there is a very deep and satisfying game here. It's also not a game you sit down to play in the morning and finish a little after lunch. The online portion of it with other players leaving hints of what to do and the pvp invasion segments are very innovative (at least, I haven't seen anything like them before). If you enjoy 'nintendo hard' games like Ninja Gaiden Black and don't mind dying a lot to try and beat a tough area, pick up Dark Souls. Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2012
    Instead of falling into the love it or hate it category. I am kind of indifferent about dark souls. It's certainly challenging. And there is a serious sense of empowerment from overcoming a situation based on understanding it. The combat is well constructed, and certainly involves more elements of craft than something like skyrim's. However after 63 hours with this game. I really haveInstead of falling into the love it or hate it category. I am kind of indifferent about dark souls. It's certainly challenging. And there is a serious sense of empowerment from overcoming a situation based on understanding it. The combat is well constructed, and certainly involves more elements of craft than something like skyrim's. However after 63 hours with this game. I really have nothing to say about it beyond listing it's features. Nothing is memorable besides the difficulty. It's almost mathematical. With no emotion or sweeping adventure. It's cold. And kind of dead. And that might be the point of what is being presented - however it's moving parts don't create something fascinating or magical or emotional. But rather a construct for masochistic players. I don't like being punished. Or hated. I don't like mean spirited things. This game feels like a heavy metal listening programmer - He's cold and condescending, ferociously skilled and talented - however the more time you spend with him, the less you like him. I liked dark souls until I understood dark souls. Now I am happy to be away, smiling, and supporting people. Being a good person. In the nice fresh air. Free. Free to enjoy the world and smile. And smell flowers. And kiss, and hug. And love. Expand
  10. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Get this game now if you haven’t played it. Give this game a second try if you raged quit the first time!!!
    (English is not my native language, apologize beforehand)
    The best game I played on xbox360 and my first souls game!! Dark souls is not hard, it is just different. It has a learning-curve, and other games just don’t. I used to hate this game before actually played it, because 1: I am not a huge fan of cold weapon RPGs, I play online FPS heavily. 2: the game has a reputation of being difficult, and I play games mainly for fun not for stupid, ridiculous, hard difficulties, and secretly I was afraid that I won’t beat the game. 3. People bragged about it like "this game is for hardcore gamers only", somehow I find it offensive and arrogant. 4. I have two friends played it but gave up, I didnt ask why but it gave me the feeling that I should stay away from this game. Then two months ago, another friend highly recommended this game to me. And before I decided to buy the game I checked one 30 minutes walkthrough video on YouTube. The player didn’t die at all in that clip, so I was thinking this game really was not that hard if you just played with cautions. So I brought the game before Xmas and used the two and half weeks holiday (140 hours, farming a lot) to “complete” the game (1000/1000).

I used at least two hours to know the basic controls including jump-attack, kick, run-jump. And the first 20 hours, I only managed to backstab 10% of the enemies, though I tried to backstab almost all the time. Never bother to parry in my first playthrough until I stuck at gwyn fight. So I am just a below average player. However, I “beat” almost all the bosses except dlc ones and gwyn on 2 or 3 tries in my first playthrough by summoning help. And finish the playthrough without trouble at all. And I am telling you again, I am not good!!! This game doesn’t have to be that hard like people claimed, e.g. if you checked guide beforehand. It may diminish that accomplish feeling (a lot) compared to dead at one boss for 30 times and finally beat it or spending two hours at wrong place until you found the right path. But you can surely beat the game in a non-hardcore gamer style. And at least for me, still felt quite satisfying after beat a boss at 1st try. So, compared to just give up and badmouth the game, I recommend checking the guide.

Then on NG+, I decided to solo all the bosses. I died a lot but I was just enjoying it. Geez, I died 30+ times on soloing Smough&Orstine until I gave up and summoned Solaire (he changed everything). I was pissed and raged. But I cherish dark souls that even you’ve beaten it once, the game can still challenge you as hell. Now I have 300+ hours in this game (mainly white phantom), it made me quit BF4 and other games. And the only other game I want to play now is dark souls 2. This time I will definitely play it blind.

What I like in dark souls:
    1. Combat. Well-done, neat, and responsive.
    2. Level design. Breathtaking, creative and unique.
    3. Boss fight. Epic, challenging and exciting.
    4. Lore. Simply the best, IMO.
    5. Enemies. Terrifying, huge variations and sometimes funny AI.
    6. RPG element. Builds. Weapons. Armors. So many things.
    7. Online. Co-op mainly. I might have a 0.1 w/l ratio in PVP…
    8. No loading during normal gameplay. (Slightly frame drop in two places, I guess due to in-game loading)

Dark souls is simply the best game I played in recent years. Try it, don’t give up.
  11. Feb 20, 2012
    BEST RPG game ever!, sooooo underrated too, i mean how the **** can an AMAZING game like this get a 7 or 8 while other **** games like Skyirm get 8 and 9, believe me.. you MUST buy this game.. Its so much fun, the story is also AMAZING! You will really like this game, I highly recommend this game to everyone with a PS3
  12. Feb 20, 2012
    Dark Souls is the BEST RPG GAME THIS GEN!!! the only reason some people hate it is becasue its Hard.. Otherwise its a really great and fun game. You MUST by it if you have a PS3 or Xbox 360
  13. Aug 24, 2012
    Overrated, uninspiring and boring. So this is the game that my friends pictured to me as the ''Panacea of Gaming'' and turned out to be completely wrong.
    The gameplay is clunky as hell, especially when you engage in a boss fight.. The map design feels bland and very empty, not to mention that the graphics are downright terrible. Is this 2012 or 2004?
    Ok, continuing with this, its not
    Ok, continuing with this, its not open world as some people told me, its completely linear and boring and the character lacks personality and charisma.
    Also, it has GFWL. That is enough for anyone to stay away. I don't even know why companies still use this.

I'm glad i got it as a birthday gift, but sometimes i wish my friend didn't have to spend that amount of money. I'm not ungrateful, on the contrary, but this game is definitely not my cup of tea.

Definitely one of the most dissapointing games of 2012.
  14. Dec 28, 2011
    Whilst there's fun to be had in Dark Souls it is also a prime example of how dumb, sad and gullible it's core audience is as reading through comments and user reviews people seem to be more bothered about the fact that they can play a tough game as some kind of badge of honour than the game itself. You see, the game is actually very lazy - great graphics but naff all music, barely any RPGWhilst there's fun to be had in Dark Souls it is also a prime example of how dumb, sad and gullible it's core audience is as reading through comments and user reviews people seem to be more bothered about the fact that they can play a tough game as some kind of badge of honour than the game itself. You see, the game is actually very lazy - great graphics but naff all music, barely any RPG elements of which to speak (with hardly any plot or story to drive you on), and worst of all repetative gameplay that just makes the game DRAG. I don't mind fighting a tough boss 5, 10, 20 times to beat it, but when I have to run down an empty path for a few minutes just to get there first and then be killed in one hit it's hard to look back on the time spent travelling and finding any fun in it. Also, the game could get away with being to tough and merciless if it's mechanics worked well, but the camera gets stuck behind trees, you roll through solid walls, and most unforgivingly of all the targetting mechanic spins you round in the opposite direction if you're not close enough to an enemy - by which time the enemy has usually jumped you. Dark Soul's also doesn't allow you to pause the game....ever. Now, I don't know about you but sometimes I need to pee, eat or actually do things in real life such as answer a phone call, the fact that this wasn't included is beyond a joke. If you're batteries die mid combat? No pause screen, your man just stands there and dies. But, slap a tag on it that this game is for "real games" and the drongos will buy en mass *facepalm*. On the plus side the combat can be fun and once you're a bit tougher it isn't so bad - until you come to a new area which means hours grinding to get tough again. I've probably focussed a bit too much on the negative aspects of Dark Souls, but folk need to be warned that it's more than just a case of it being a hard game - it's a hard game that's mechanics are poor and doesn't allow for glitches or reality. Deffinately try before you buy. Expand
  15. Jan 7, 2012
    This is an example of a great open world-ish fantasy game. There isn't much of a plot and there are countless tough enemies that are far more powerful than you are (and are quite able to kill you in one hit), but the beauty of the game, which may come across as a real pain to others, is the whole trial and error aspect. You have to figure out which path is safest, and make strategies onThis is an example of a great open world-ish fantasy game. There isn't much of a plot and there are countless tough enemies that are far more powerful than you are (and are quite able to kill you in one hit), but the beauty of the game, which may come across as a real pain to others, is the whole trial and error aspect. You have to figure out which path is safest, and make strategies on killing enemies. Some areas prove to be absolutely impossible - dark lords, black knights, ice creatures, and countless other monsters all lurk the lands and corridors of ruins, and, save for a few bosses, can be snuck around if too difficult to kill. It doesn't take long to realize that one of the purposes behind the games creation is that YOU WILL DIE. You will die countless times. Even at the very beginning, you will die many times. Every time you die and/or leave to save at a bonfire, all enemies (except bosses) will reappear. One great aspect of this game is that there are different creatures lurking around, obviously with some history - and even if the history of such creatures was never imagined, anything can be interpreted. Some enemies you only see once, and they'll just be there in the least expected of places. Its truly a magnificent, bleak open world game that all true gamer lovers can find something to enjoy behind. It requires patience and strategy which is something not seen in most modern games outside of certain franchises. Expand
  16. Jun 27, 2014
    Dark Souls is a tense inch by inch death fest where the idea of self preservation becomes a fond memory of other games you have played. You play this game to die over and over and over and than you go to sleep haunted by how to get past the thing that is currently killing you. Leveling up and item upgrading have never felt so useless, as you just continue to die over and over and over.Dark Souls is a tense inch by inch death fest where the idea of self preservation becomes a fond memory of other games you have played. You play this game to die over and over and over and than you go to sleep haunted by how to get past the thing that is currently killing you. Leveling up and item upgrading have never felt so useless, as you just continue to die over and over and over.
    I can picture right now the thing I'm trying to get past and I haven't played the game in months. This type of game is not for me, I feel like half the time i'm fighting enemies, and the other half I'm fighting the camera and the controls.
    What they have is a slow moving, grainy looking, repeat every area a dozen times game that hides all of this by appealing to our inner desire to win at any cost. All this game has going for it is gameplay time and bragging rights, everything else is just there to kill you.

You don't enjoy playing this game, you take pleasure in beating it. You get there angry and frustrated and turn off the game exhausted and beaten down. Not how I like to leave a game, not a game I enjoyed.
  17. Oct 11, 2011
    An excellent and worthy successor of the hit 2009 video game; Demon's Soul. Dark Souls is easily in my top 10 games of all time and probably had the best first impression of any game I have ever played. The gameplay is extremely accurage and precise, positioning is key and knowing what your opponent is capable is gold. In addition the bosses in this game looks absolutely gorgeous and youAn excellent and worthy successor of the hit 2009 video game; Demon's Soul. Dark Souls is easily in my top 10 games of all time and probably had the best first impression of any game I have ever played. The gameplay is extremely accurage and precise, positioning is key and knowing what your opponent is capable is gold. In addition the bosses in this game looks absolutely gorgeous and you can easily tell FROM software has spent hours and hours on each stage making each level as 'evil' as possible. If you look up the term 'Dark Fantasy' in a dictionary I can guarantee you it will say Dark Souls. The only negative aspect I can think of on the spot are the rare graphic pop-ins and clippings. But to be honest the only reason this game has negative reviews is because those people are spending several hours trying to kill the Asylum demon lol fail nubs. Expand
  18. Jan 23, 2014
    I have never played such a robust and addicting game. Everything from the armor down to the different weapon effects are brilliant. The atmosphere is dark and gloomy. It took me close to four hours to beat Ornstein/Smough, this is one of the hardest and fairest games. I am buying a PS3 just so I can play Demon Souls.
  19. Dec 2, 2016
    It might be a bit late for me to make a review on a game this old, but I had just completed the game's story just a few weeks ago, and do understand the appeal of this game, although, even with that in mind, it does have some flaws.

Now, this game is largely herald for it's absolutely insane difficulty curve and it's seamless environment, and half of that is true. Now, the game is difficult, but it's difficulty is largely based on the fact that the game does not give you any pointers in terms of plot or combat other than the basic controls of the game. There's one thing to hand hold the players, and it's a whole other thing to not even give your players the correct means to progress through the game. Most if not all of your credentials are going to rely on looking up the wiki, which much like with Minecraft, completely takes the user off from the initial experience when you get ganked on and the game does not explain certain aspects. Did you know that you could talk to the daughter of chaos? You wouldn't unless you looked up the wiki. Did you know that Lautrec would kill the Fireseeker in Firelink Shrine, and that you have to go to a specific part in Anor Londo to get the soul back? Only with the wiki. The only story details the game tells you is the basic main story of lighting the two flames via ringing the two bells and retrieving four lord souls, and despite my expectations for some narrative twists - the only one is the fact that Gwyndolin has made an illusion of sunlight in Anor Londo - there is none. It's as straightforward as it comes: link the flame to continue the age of fire, or keep it selfishly to yourself. It's about as black and white as it gets. As a result of this forced piecemealing of the story, it does lose points.

As for the environment and the gameplay, it is very solid, once you get the hang of it. Once again, the difficulty comes from the lack of explaining core details, the game still can be hard if you just come in rushing, unless you are overleveled against weaker foes. Blocking and timing attacks are key, and keeping your health and stamina pools is necessary for your success. You will in fact, die a lot, but dying is only a part of the learning experience of the game, as it does not give you any wiggle room on it's part. The world is built very well, as you can seamlessly travel through Firelink Shrine and bend towards New Londo, and make a backroad to the Valley of the Drakes and head towards Blighttown, and so on and so on. Even areas that aren't tied together, like Demon Ruins and Tomb of the Giants, still give you an opportunity to see these areas from a distance. But be careful about travelling to said areas, like with other open world areas, some places will be harder than others. Weapon variety is very well done, with a number of weapons that tie to certain builds, but be certain that your builds are the ones you want, as you cannot ReSpec in this game. Not to mention, miracles and sorceries, basically spells, can only be restored through bonfires and by no other means, so be careful with using them. Multiplayer is a bit flawed, as connectivity is sometimes inconsistent and lags horribly via Coop or even PvP matches, which is still well done since it is still based on the combat.

So overall, Dark Souls is a well done game on exploration, observation, survival, and combat, but as for a story driven narrative, a lot of it is overly reliant on the items you find and the wiki you'll look up to realize you need to go to Scrumly the Crow and give him a Sunlight Maggot in order to get the Old Witch's Ring to talk to the Daughter of Chaos, which is completely irrelevant to anything.
  20. Feb 9, 2017
    There are many different reasons we play videogames; to relax, compete, socialize, and challenge ourselves. Dark Souls is probably best known for its difficulty, and rightfully so. This is a brutal and unforgiving game that expects the players to be able to figure things out for themselves. Personally, I feel like it goes a little too far in its lack of information, in turn, creating aThere are many different reasons we play videogames; to relax, compete, socialize, and challenge ourselves. Dark Souls is probably best known for its difficulty, and rightfully so. This is a brutal and unforgiving game that expects the players to be able to figure things out for themselves. Personally, I feel like it goes a little too far in its lack of information, in turn, creating a huge barrier of entry to new players. However, once you can get pass the the first couple hurdles this is quite a rewarding game that has so much more to offer than just its difficulty.

Combat is the heart and soul of this game. This a third person action/rpg with a variety of fighting options from magic, to pyromancy, to blades and shields. One of the most unique elements of this series is the stamina bar. Every time you attack, block, evade, or cast a spell you'll use some stamina. This means you can't waste actions and you'll have to wait, exposed, for seconds at a time to let your stamina fill back up. Combine that with the fact the the enemies can drain your health in seconds you quickly learn that battles in this game are best fought one on one.

Where Dark Souls shines brightest is in its superb level design. After you escape the Undead Asylum you'll wind up at Firelink Shrine. This shrine acts as the main hub of the game and as you play it will become increasing populated by NPCs, many of which will help you on your journey. What is allure incredible is how no matter how far you go the game will very naturally wind you back to Firelink. The way all the levels intertwine is pretty surreal and makes the world feel very believable. Each area offers really unique and entertaining challenges from the traps in Sen's Fortress, to the narrow ledges of Anor Londo, to the maze within the Depths.

For me this game was at its most enjoyable as I tried to make my way from one bonfire to the next. The bonfires in this game act as save points and they also restock your Estus which you can use to recover health. The problem is every time you sit down or respawn at a bonfire all the normal enemies will respawn. This means you'll have to do each stretch in one go instead just picking off enemies and running back to heal. All the bosses and some tougher enemies won't respawn, giving the player a satisfying sense of progression. All the bosses in Dark Souls offer different challenges but they all have patterns, learning and adapting to these patterns is key to victory.

I had tried playing Dark Souls a handful of times before this play-through but never got farther than a couple hours in before I quit. The game really isn't too bad once you get used to it but its near impossible to go in blind. It was only after watching a Lets Play on YouTube I finely felt I had enough knowledge to give the game another chance. There are so many mechanics that never really get explained which is really too bad because in many ways it makes the early game the hardest.

Even after overcoming the high barrier of entry Dark Souls will continue to test both your skill and patience. For those who persist there is a tremendous amount of satisfaction for each challenge you overcome. Even more than that this is a wonderfully designed world, its just fun to explore all the different environments and collect all the loot. For the longest time I didn't think I could get in to this series but with the help of walk-throughs and the Dark Souls wiki I managed to fight my way to the end. It had its ups and down but I'd still say this is a worth while journey for those up to the task.
  21. Oct 21, 2011
    I have actually already reviewed Dark Souls. I originally awarded the game a '9', but felt the need to upgrade it to a '10' considering the circumstances. I'm about 55 hours in and I still haven't completed the game. The wealth of content is extraordinary, and the world From Software has built is absolutely staggering. This far in, I'm still fighting new and creative enemies, discoveringI have actually already reviewed Dark Souls. I originally awarded the game a '9', but felt the need to upgrade it to a '10' considering the circumstances. I'm about 55 hours in and I still haven't completed the game. The wealth of content is extraordinary, and the world From Software has built is absolutely staggering. This far in, I'm still fighting new and creative enemies, discovering secrets I had missed, and involving myself in the rewarding and immensely satisfying combat. In a year surging with triple A titles, Dark Souls pushes forward, and can proudly stand alongside the best games of the year. Expand
  22. Apr 1, 2012
    I love this game so much I almost resent it. This has messed up my standards for games now. You get such a rush from succeeding in this game that everything else pales in comparison. This game does sooooo many things right that other games don't even attempt. For example, the environments. The environments are not just pretty, but they are a reward. Almost everywhere is hard to get to inI love this game so much I almost resent it. This has messed up my standards for games now. You get such a rush from succeeding in this game that everything else pales in comparison. This game does sooooo many things right that other games don't even attempt. For example, the environments. The environments are not just pretty, but they are a reward. Almost everywhere is hard to get to in this game, so feel such relief when you get to the next bonfire. There are whole areas of the game completely hidden to the player unless you know exactly where to look. This game is so incredibly dense. The story seems really stupid and weird on the surface, but once you do some digging and look into some online resources, everything, every item, character, enemy, everything, has a reason to exist. It feels like a hell that exists by itself and you are intruding on it. The multiplayer is also very well done. The covenant system is interesting but some of them seem kind of empty and broken. Nonetheless, PVP in this game is exhilarating. Only get this game if you have a lot of time on your hands. People say Skyrim will steal your life. No, THIS will steal your life. Expand
  23. Sep 24, 2015
    I bought it on Steam for PC. I know the controls suck but I battled for a couple of hours getting DSfix and DSMfix going and voila, almost playable. I loved the world and enemies enough to really want to play.

Four hours later so six hours in total I have given up. I am stuck spawning in the same place over and over again for over three hours. I am sick of it. It is not hard, it is taking the pi$$.
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    Back in 2009, I spent 120+ hours of my life on Demon's Souls, and since then, I have not found its equal. As dark, challenging, and repressive as the game was, Demon's Souls still managed to feel like a breath of fresh air in the staling game market, throwing back to classic mechanics that were left in the 80s and early 90s with 8-bit, 16-bit, and arcade games. I find it interesting thatBack in 2009, I spent 120+ hours of my life on Demon's Souls, and since then, I have not found its equal. As dark, challenging, and repressive as the game was, Demon's Souls still managed to feel like a breath of fresh air in the staling game market, throwing back to classic mechanics that were left in the 80s and early 90s with 8-bit, 16-bit, and arcade games. I find it interesting that Demon's Souls was far better received in North America than in its native Japan (790,000 copies in NA to Japan's 300,000, many of which were sold after the game's subsequest success overseas), as the game reflects more western RPG conventions and D&D-esque styling than the increasingly common anime-styled games that get labeled as "JRPGs." Dark Souls is a spiritual successor in the purest sense of the over-used phrase. Its controls are identical to Demon's Souls, yet they are even more precise than before. The artistic style, starting classes, soundtrack, and multiplayer options are all quite similar as well, but again, they have been tweaked to be a bit superior to that of Demon's Souls. The graphics are more detailed and crisp than ever. But the biggest change here is the open-world structure. Unlike Demon's Souls, which had the Nexus serve as a hub between several more fragmented worlds, Dark Souls has interconnected areas that form one gigantic, seemless world. It's also at least three times the size of all of Demon's Souls' areas combined, and the zones are still diverse and well-conceived. The linking of various zones works kind of like classic Metroid or Castlevania maps, where shortcuts to previous areas can be unlocked, making exploration valuable and rewarding to the overall mission. Instead of the Nexus hub zone, players can rest at bonfires, where they can also upgrade weapons and armor, among other things. Combat is also enjoyable and very deep, and enemy mobs are more varied than in Demon's Souls. In short, Dark Souls improves on every aspect of its predecessor, and with the new open-world structure, Dark Souls can easily stand up to the industry's western-developed heavy hitters (like Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls). In fact, I can honestly say that Dark Souls could steal some serious thunder from Skyrim by offering a more fresh yet hardcore approach to the genre. I also think that it's astounding that developer From Software could make lightning strike twice - it would have been far too easy for some developers to misinterpret Demon's Souls overwhelming success in North America and try too hard to tweak the subsequent formula to cater to American tastes. Instead, From Software stayed true to its original form, even deciding to increase the challenge for Dark Souls. And as one final point, let me also say this: Anyone who has not tried Demon's Souls or Dark Souls should not let the now-legendary difficulty of the series discourage them. The challenge that these games offers is not the same kind of hard-for-the-sake-of-hard frustration that some games fall victim to. Even if you are normally frustrated by difficult games, it's usually because of cheap mechanics and the feeling of having to fight the controls or poor design, and none of that is an issue with the Souls games. They just demand a little more observation, a bit of strategy and thought. From Software trusts that its gamers are intelligent, diligent, and skilled enough to handle that challenge, and that's what makes every victory in Dark Souls feel like a real achievement. The game may not be for everyone, but I would at least encourage every PS3 or XBox360 owner to try it. Expand
  25. Nov 22, 2012
    Absolutely terrific. There is no game quite like Dark Souls. Uniquely challenging yet ultimately rewarding, this incredible action RPG proves that superior design and unique world building triumphs over the simplicity of modern gaming that we have been force fed over the years. It has its blemishes (terrible frame rate in an area, strange clipping issues) here and there, but you'll letAbsolutely terrific. There is no game quite like Dark Souls. Uniquely challenging yet ultimately rewarding, this incredible action RPG proves that superior design and unique world building triumphs over the simplicity of modern gaming that we have been force fed over the years. It has its blemishes (terrible frame rate in an area, strange clipping issues) here and there, but you'll let it slide. I have yet to play another game that is both terrifying to play yet so strangely addicting. This is for the hardest of the hardcore gamers out there, and you have to be a glutton for punishment. But once you beat that boss, get through that area, find that incredible weapon, or simply make it to the end of this sprawling, minimalistic, and epic adventure I guarantee you'll be hooked. 9.5 Expand
  26. Dec 23, 2013
    Though game play is reach and interesting, difficulty is what really killing this game. By difficulty I mean not difficult enemies they are great. Unfortunately really a lot of dump repetitive actions involved in the gameplay. You die really often and respawn really far from that point. I wish they have save and load option, allowing to save at any point.
  27. Apr 28, 2015
    OVERALL - 0 (or less)
    OVERALL - 0 (or less)
    The Dark Souls series are the worst-designed games ever made and have no redeeming factor. They are also the most overrated, because for reasons I can't understand, the rest of the internet adores them and actually praises their flaws as if they were virtues. "Hard but fair" they say? Dark Souls isn't hard, it's time-consuming and obtuse; once you waste 5 hours grinding your level up and find the "cheat" weapons with the walkthrough, most encounters become so easy they're boring; and it isn't fair, the game randomly punishes you (SEVERELY) often and without warning, and is totally unplayable without a step-by-step walkthrough. If someone patched the game to remove the upgrade system, properly balance the enemy encounters, and put a navigation arrow telling you where to go, a 50-hour-plus slog would turn into a 3-hour game that would bore you after the first hour.

CONTROL - 2
    DS is a shallow hack-and-slash. Damage can go through blocking shields, and is affected by range to the enemy and whether you press the light/fast attack or heavy attack button, with every move drawing from a limited but regenerating stamina pool. There are only three moves:
    a) while locked-on, deflect an incoming attack to instant-kill; this reduces the game to a quicktime event without a button prompt
    b) while locked-on, hold the shield button to block a strike until the enemy staggers, then counter-attack
    c) do a dodge-roll to avoid a strike, then counter-attack. This is the most risky strategy, it mostly only works on bosses (whereas a and b only work on standard soldiers)
    All of these put you at risk when you face more than one enemy at a time, because you can only focus on one.
    The game also lies to you about there being other options. Supposedly it's possible to wield one heavy sword with both hands, or one weapon in each hand, but since you need the shield to block if you want to survive multiple encounters, these are impossible.

PRESENTATION - 7
    Graphics aren't bad, but everything more or less looks alike (brick castle with vegetation); the only reason you recognize places is that the game halts your progress so much you become familiar with the most generic of locations. The story isn't great but is unintrusive. Enemies ragdoll when they die and the physics of broken crates/barrels is actually pretty cool, although physics never affect gameplay.

DESIGN - 0
    Non-automatic upgrade systems are a cancer on videogames, because they always result in boring grinding early on and then being boring-ly overpowered later in the game. Of course DS embraces both flaws to both extremes. But worse, you drop all non-spent experience points where you die and they vanish if you don't collect them on the next life, so it's easily possible to waste 2 hours of your time for nothing.
    Every checkpoint has like 5 paths branching from it, 2 of them hidden, only 1 of them feasible in order to advance the game, and of course there are no hints as to which path that is. It is unplayable without a walkthrough. This is a problem videogames solved around the GTA3/Crazy Taxi era: navigation arrows.
    Personally, I don't like "exploration" games, but for those who do, one of the prerequisites is that exploration not be painful. In DS, the constant risk of losing all your experience holds you back from trying new paths or risky jumps. At one point I fell into a pit and got hit by a gas that took half my health (aka "cursed"). PERMANENTLY. Unless you trekked across the entire map and bought one of a LIMITED number of cures. And since enemies respawn, it is totally possible to lose half your health forever.
    There are also some purchaseable projectiles, and the occasional rare item that grants you a significant advantage (like doubling your health or the weapon's damage, etc.) but you'll never use them because you die so regularly that any one-use item would be a waste.
    The game is so punishing that you stop feeling guilty about winning through exploits that aren't fun: spamming projectiles from outside enemy reach, tricking the enemy AI into walking off cliffs, etc.
    This isn't "hard", it's bad design. Super Meat Boy is hard. ANYONE can beat Dark Souls with a walkthrough guide and the willingness to be bored and frustrated for 50 hours straight. I only wasted as much time as I did to see what the fuss was about, and I regret even that.
  28. Feb 17, 2015
    The Good - fun combat and a big world to explore. Good customization.

The Bad - It's a long list, but the main ones: 1. The Cult-like fanboys of this game claim it is the hardest game out there....BS. The only truly difficult part of this game is the beginning bosses aren't scaled. The later bosses are the same toughness, but you are leveled with better equipment making the vast
    The Good - fun combat and a big world to explore. Good customization.

The Bad - It's a long list, but the main ones:

1. The Cult-like fanboys of this game claim it is the hardest game out there....BS. The only truly difficult part of this game is the beginning bosses aren't scaled. The later bosses are the same toughness, but you are leveled with better equipment making the vast majority a cakewalk (and parry/ reposte is so op broken that anything less than a boss, and even some of them, is laughable). That lack of scaling (both ways) is a huge fail. I was as disappointed with the incredible toughness of the first few bosses as I was with the lack of challenge of the last 2/3rds. (Bed of Chaos....what a joke).

2. Whomever designed this basically single player game to include live mp content was a moron. You can't pause the game for any reason (bathroom) or some "committed" fanboy will invade your realm and kill you (if you are human)....and that's in 2015...I can't imagine how annoying that would have been when the game was popular.....unbelievable fail. Many games have a mp component to a sp game....BUT THEY'RE SEPARATE!!!!!!!

3. Story really, really sucks. In truth there really is no story as you could "complete" the game without ever knowing what you were doing or why. Again, the fanboys claim that is by design and that the game doesn't "hold your hand" like all other RPG's....joke on both fronts. Outside of Fable, I have never encountered an RPG that holds your hand more than this game....every 5 feet there is an unmissable note on the floor telling you exactly what to do right in that exact spot...even though you have no idea why you are doing it.....the lack of story is why this game has so many player communities on the net as nobody knows what to do or why.

4. Inventory system is the worst I have ever experienced.....you can't sell your junk and by the time you figure that out, simply dropping the stuff (and no, dupes are not stacked!!!) takes forever...what the ^%& is the point of 25 broken swords!!!!!!!!!!!
  29. Dec 14, 2014
    Dark Souls is truly an incredible and unforgettable experience. This game is notorious for being very difficult. In a first playthrough, a new player will find the game pretty tough and some areas are quite challenging. There have been a few instances in my experience where the difficulty gets really frustrating. But overcoming those challenges is a great feeling and satisfying. The amountDark Souls is truly an incredible and unforgettable experience. This game is notorious for being very difficult. In a first playthrough, a new player will find the game pretty tough and some areas are quite challenging. There have been a few instances in my experience where the difficulty gets really frustrating. But overcoming those challenges is a great feeling and satisfying. The amount of freedom you have with your character is unbelievable. You can really play as any kind of character you want. You pick a starting class and then continue with the class roots, or you can go in a complete different direction. With this freedom you can make one amazing, dynamic character. There are also lots and lots of different kinds of armor and weapons to choose from and each of the pieces of equipment can be upgraded in different ways. Because of this, there really is no "best" weapon or armor piece. The main story is okay, it doesn't really go into depth nor is it expanded a lot. There aren't really any quests, the game is extremely nonlinear and you need to figure out where to go next in the world with little guidance. The environment is stunning and wonderful. The different areas in the game are different from one another and exploring each area is an exciting adventure on its own. The PvP part of Dark Souls is pretty fun too. The one thing about PvP is that lag can really affect your battle and can either be in your favor or your opponent's. Dark Souls is an exhilarating game, and it's a must play for any RPG or action-adventure fans. Expand
  30. Dec 13, 2011
    I would definitely give this game a solid 9.5. First off, if you've never played Demon Souls (like me) and are still hung up about the notorious difficulty of the game, I advise you not to buy into the hype. While the game can still be very challenging, it's something that can easily be overcome once you get the combat down properly. I've never played Demon Souls before and I had heard aI would definitely give this game a solid 9.5. First off, if you've never played Demon Souls (like me) and are still hung up about the notorious difficulty of the game, I advise you not to buy into the hype. While the game can still be very challenging, it's something that can easily be overcome once you get the combat down properly. I've never played Demon Souls before and I had heard a great deal about this game, so I decided to finally give it a go. The game is so thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to finish mainly due to the satisfaction that it brings when you overcome a new challenge. I've read several reviews where people say that the game is a chore and like "eating brussel sprouts" until you complete a challenge, whereas it turns into "eating ice cream". This could not be further from the truth. The game is CONSTANTLY like "eating ice cream", rewarding you at every turn with exciting new gear or spells to fuel you're ongoing push towards the final boss. I believe the IGN review has something along the lines of: "If you play games for fun, than this game is not for you". This statement is also extremely false and is very misleading to newcomers who are thinking about potentially purchasing this game. The game simply requires you to be more open-minded as well as patient in contemplating the best strategies to overcome certain situations and boss fights. The graphics of the game are gorgeous, giving players a huge variety of stunning environments ranging from murky catacombs to snowy fortresses set upon a mountainside. It's essentially an open-world experience, since you can go almost anywhere at anytime, but there's still a decent amount of linearity. If you stumble upon an area where the enemies take 15 hits to kill and are capable of killing you in 1-2, you probably shouldn't be at that area yet and should return there at a later time. The combat mechanics work extremely well, never feeling overly repetitive nor becoming a chore. The game tries to get players to "bond" with their weapons and develop a sort of attached relationship. I've definitely felt this before, as I was reluctant at one point in the game to cease using my Fire Spear that I crafted since the monsters were all basically immune to fire. The game has you select from one of many starting classes, which primarily only affect you're starting equipment and attributes (except the Pyromancer, who might be the only class that can utilize Pyromancy spells). Spells are an absolute blast to use and there's tons of variety for a myriad of situations in which they can be implemented. The storyline is almost nonexistent, save for a few cutscenes and cinematics here and there, but this does not hinder the experience whatsoever. It may even bolster it, depending on who you ask, granting the game a more "realistic" feel. It gives the sense that the storyline is essentially what a "real" hero's journey would be like, with many difficult trials and failures along the road to success. Let me be completely honest when I say this, however: you will die. You will die alot, but overcoming death in this game is part of the grand satisfaction I mentioned. You die to an extremely difficult boss, losing your souls temporarily (if you can recover your "body", similar to Diablo 2), come back, and annihilate the boss. These moments are uniquely crafted, leaving you feeling like you're on top of the world when you achieve them. The game is about as dark of a fantasy as you can get and leaves very little to no room for comedic relief, save for a few moments that are few and far between. The game's crafting system is addicting in many ways, constantly dangling that carrot in front of you to collect that last Titanite Shard to upgrade you're weapon. The game does, however, have some issues that are worth mentioning. My biggest complaint is the framerate tearing in certain areas and scenes of the game. Blighttown is the worst offender, making it close to maddening to explore without tilting the camera towards the ground. There are also some other sequences and boss fights that briefly experience this, but no other notables. Another issue I've noticed is sometimes a delayed reaction in the control scheme when activating items. During boss fights, timing is crucial, and when I press X to use my Estus Flask to heal myself, I expect my damn character to pop that baby open and drink instantly. Multiple times, I've done this only to see a 2-3 delay before my character finally drinks, and this is after I've resumed dodging attacks. My character has then stopped during an attack, and I either die or sustain a serious blow. This doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's frustrating. Overall, Dark Souls is one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had the pleasure of playing. If you're still hung up about purchasing it, give it a rent, and you may be pleasantly surprised. Highly recommended. Expand
  31. Jan 5, 2012
    Clunky, inefficient design doesn't belong in games that are so challenging. For most gamers, challenge is fun part of any game. In most cases, the harder the better compared to today's super accessible casual games for the masses, so I was looking forward to Dark Souls based on what I had heard from around the web. But boy were those opinions misleading. Its not that the game is tooClunky, inefficient design doesn't belong in games that are so challenging. For most gamers, challenge is fun part of any game. In most cases, the harder the better compared to today's super accessible casual games for the masses, so I was looking forward to Dark Souls based on what I had heard from around the web. But boy were those opinions misleading. Its not that the game is too difficult.. I mean it is difficult, but that's not the problem, the problem is that its horrendously designed and when games are this poorly designed it really isnt a good idea for them not to have a forgiving nature. The game itself tries to mix western style high fantasy with outdated traditional Japanese design sensibilities which isnt a terrible idea, but its so poorly executed that the player constantly finds himself dying through no fault of his own. Camera's getting stuck on the surrounding, rolling directly through solid walls and falling to your death etc. Add to that the unfriendly user controls and interface with multiple button presses when one would suffice, odd control layout (left and right bumpers are the primary attacks / defence), the huge eye-saw of a HUD and inventory system, and the fact that game regularly slows down and gets very laggy even when there aren't any enemies on screen, and it all boils down to a terrible port of a mediocre PS3 game. And to top it all off, the environment GFX and sound are bland and uninspired... Anyway, I've wasted enough of my time with this game, so I'll end with the warning, regardless of what you have read about the PS3 exclusive Demon Souls (which apparently did have some potential, Dark Souls the sequel is not a worthy successor or a game I can recommend to anybody, especially on the 360. Expand
  32. Feb 14, 2015
    It's a very unique and fresh game, which is surprisingly difficult your first time through. The lore is drip fed to you, which can be a double edged sword. It leaves a LOT of room for interpretation, but in many cases leaves too much room. If you look closely at points, things just don't make sense. It's pretty clear that Miyazaki really loves reusing things, so he tends to cram the sameIt's a very unique and fresh game, which is surprisingly difficult your first time through. The lore is drip fed to you, which can be a double edged sword. It leaves a LOT of room for interpretation, but in many cases leaves too much room. If you look closely at points, things just don't make sense. It's pretty clear that Miyazaki really loves reusing things, so he tends to cram the same things into his games repeatedly, even if they don't have any reason to be there. It's a weird part of Eastern philosophy that things don't need to, and often don't, make sense literally, but can be traced to some philosophical concept that does make sense.

Point of note: this game isn't hard in the sense that you're constantly struggling. This game is hard to get used to. Once you do, it stops being hard. After the first few hours, you learn the majority of the mechanics and what the game expects of you. The gameplay, while difficult and rewarding, diverse and consistently fresh, is incredibly easy to cheese out and subsequent playthroughs offer little. Once you've beaten a new enemy, it's just a matter or repeating the pattern. There are many ways to play (many of which are entirely useless) tons of weapons and fighting styles (again, most of which are entirely worthless) but it can be fun.

The biggest drawbacks I have for this game are that, for one, there are a few optimal play styles, from which any deviation is just wasting your own time and energy, and getting the play style you want often times means beating the game once just to get all the items.

Despite these things, it is still an intensely fun game, offers a very unique challenge, a highly engaging world and a refreshing experience overall.
  33. Jul 22, 2012
    There is no dought about the most difficult rpg game to be released on xbox 360. Dark souls is an absolute **** nightmare. It is time consuming, and very very repetitive. Also the storyline can be a little hard to follow if you dont use the internet as a guide. I however loved the leveling system in this game and felt the attention to detail was incredible. Will probably go back and haveThere is no dought about the most difficult rpg game to be released on xbox 360. Dark souls is an absolute **** nightmare. It is time consuming, and very very repetitive. Also the storyline can be a little hard to follow if you dont use the internet as a guide. I however loved the leveling system in this game and felt the attention to detail was incredible. Will probably go back and have another crack at this game. Nearly got to the end but not quite. If you like a challenge buy this game. Expand
  34. Oct 15, 2011
    The presentation is fitting to both new comers and Demon Souls experienced fans, yet also merciless to both. If you think you can just go slashing your way through dead and ugly, think again. Dark Souls will leave you anguished and agonized to the limit, youâ
  35. Oct 5, 2012
    If you are a gamer that wants some challenge, get this game yeah it´s hard as hell but its totally worth it, the boss battles are epic and all the adventure you go trough, the combat works well, the atmosphere is really cool and also discovering the secrets of this game.
  36. Jan 12, 2012
    GOOD - Fantastic precise and satisfying combat which requires tactics over button mashing. Superb visual design creating a unique dungeons and dragons/ ninja gaiden hybrid. Lots of RPG elements that allow you to create a vast amount of character builds. A sparse and dark story, that requires much investigation by the player to be fully realised (no long cut-scenes here). ExcellentGOOD - Fantastic precise and satisfying combat which requires tactics over button mashing. Superb visual design creating a unique dungeons and dragons/ ninja gaiden hybrid. Lots of RPG elements that allow you to create a vast amount of character builds. A sparse and dark story, that requires much investigation by the player to be fully realised (no long cut-scenes here). Excellent multiplayer design allowing various types of co-op and PvP gameplay that is integrated into your own single player experience. PvP in particular is very interesting, allowing you to effectively invade the games of other players, murder them and claim rewards.

BAD - Frame-rate issues everywhere (Blight town and New Londo I'm looking at you!) which can really be crippling at times. Thankfully, although quite abundant, frame-rate drops are very specific to certain parts of a map, so are generally only glimpsed momentarily. Still, they can lead to some frustration. The lock-on system can sometimes be a pain. Although this is much improved from Demon's Souls (predecessor to Dark Souls - PS3 exclusive). The difficulty and relative obscurity of the story doesn't make for a particularly accessible game. In fact I really disliked the use of the high difficulty as a selling point. It really makes the game sound horribly elitist. The difficulty is about the least interesting thing in Dark Souls and is terribly overhyped. There are much harder games in existence. Nevertheless, the difficulty will put some people off.

However, it must be noted that the game is very fair (more so than Demon's Souls) and actually offers a lot of assistance in the forms of NPCs who can be asked upon to help you in difficult boss fights (as well as gaining assistance from other players online).

Overall - Dark Souls isn't for everyone and won't enjoy the mainstream success of games such as Skyrim due to a steep learning curve that will instantly put off some newcomers to the series. However, give the game some time and once everything clicks and you get an understanding of how the game works it becomes thoroughly enjoyable. Also, the sense of camaraderie that the games online mechanics produces is wonderful. Dark Souls has a massive emphasis on co-op play and you will never be short of people willing to come into your world and help you defeat a tough boss. I fear a lot of people will be put off due that awful 'You will die' tagline used in the advertising of Dark Souls. But if you are even the least bit curious to play this game, please ignore the stupid difficulty hype and just get down to enjoying a very original game.
  37. Jul 17, 2014
    This game is one of the few that actually have challenges these days. The last time I think I loved playing, and beat a game, like this was probably King's quest. I think this game deserves a lot more then 10 points. People give it a bad score because they probably suck at the game. You have to understand that this game is SUPER hard. Well if you don't understand that, go cry to someoneThis game is one of the few that actually have challenges these days. The last time I think I loved playing, and beat a game, like this was probably King's quest. I think this game deserves a lot more then 10 points. People give it a bad score because they probably suck at the game. You have to understand that this game is SUPER hard. Well if you don't understand that, go cry to someone who cares. I bought this 5 months before I actually beat the game. The bosses were really challenging, took more than 1 try to beat it. But what I don't understand is I got stuck on the easy bosses than the hard bosses. Like smough and orengstien, I beat them on my 3rd try, but the butterfly thing, I beat on my 15th try. Why that is? I don't know, but still these games are rare these days. That feeling you have after you work so hard on a boss then finally beat it, it is hard to say. Would I recommend this YES! It is the best game I have ever played. Expand
  38. Mar 17, 2013
    I like this game. I managed, barely to not die just yet. Weapons are fun and can be upgraded several ways, but the direction and characters look... odd. Like it threw me out of the immersion with a giant head thing that grabs you by his teeth and that is a form of transportation to some near end of the game? Really? I just started and love it's variety, but character models need toI like this game. I managed, barely to not die just yet. Weapons are fun and can be upgraded several ways, but the direction and characters look... odd. Like it threw me out of the immersion with a giant head thing that grabs you by his teeth and that is a form of transportation to some near end of the game? Really? I just started and love it's variety, but character models need to feel human and or real, rather than some Japanese oddities of characters. I guess Americans like art styles that immerse you. Rather than be random and unique. It's odd, but fun and challenging. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait to see how I die. Expand
  39. Aug 19, 2013
    If you are going to make a game this long have the decency to add a storyline to it, because this is not acceptable. Dark Souls features a fun and challenging combat system, with a plethora of weird and fantastic monsters to fight. The different zones or environments you travel through are equally as unique and fantastic as the enemy monster designs. So this game does some things reallyIf you are going to make a game this long have the decency to add a storyline to it, because this is not acceptable. Dark Souls features a fun and challenging combat system, with a plethora of weird and fantastic monsters to fight. The different zones or environments you travel through are equally as unique and fantastic as the enemy monster designs. So this game does some things really well. What it fails at is the storyline, which is far too thin to engage you, in particular for a game this long. I had trouble finishing the game because I simply stopped caring about it, it became boring because there is no real storyline in it. The storyline seems to have been attached as an after-thought. A thin storyline is acceptable in a short game, say 10 hours or so which is how long Demon's Souls was, but not in an 80 hour game. If I am to enjoy an 80 hour game I need some kind of storyline, something to hook me in and keep me interested. Dark Souls does not do that. It does not help that your character has no personality, he or she is just a killing machine, nothing more nothing less. Bottomline: if you want an action RPG with an engaging storyline and a protagonist with a personality I would think twice before buying this game, but if you just want to fight your way through some unique-looking monsters in equally unique environments you might enjoy Dark Souls. Expand
  40. Oct 6, 2011
    This game is Amazing.I loved Demon souls on the PS3,But I love the fact that dark souls is available on the XBOX 360.Now to all those who do not play rpg's or are not good at rpg's DO NOT GET THIS GAME!!!!it is very hard and I mean this in a huge way.this game was made for people with alot of patience and who know how to play rpg's I'm not saying I'm the best either but I play alot ofThis game is Amazing.I loved Demon souls on the PS3,But I love the fact that dark souls is available on the XBOX 360.Now to all those who do not play rpg's or are not good at rpg's DO NOT GET THIS GAME!!!!it is very hard and I mean this in a huge way.this game was made for people with alot of patience and who know how to play rpg's I'm not saying I'm the best either but I play alot of rpg's and dark souls still gave me a run for my money.Dark souls is a must have. Expand
  41. Aug 17, 2014
    Disclaimer: Dark Souls is not made to suit the average gamers. Disregard all those bad reviews made by players who could not survive the first few fights of the game. I myself was frustrated in the beginning, until I realized if you play this game with an MMO mentality, you'll do well. If an area is difficult, grind, level up, try again, if it's still difficulty, grind level up, repeat.Disclaimer: Dark Souls is not made to suit the average gamers. Disregard all those bad reviews made by players who could not survive the first few fights of the game. I myself was frustrated in the beginning, until I realized if you play this game with an MMO mentality, you'll do well. If an area is difficult, grind, level up, try again, if it's still difficulty, grind level up, repeat.

The game boasts about difficulty, in the end, it's not the difficulty of the game, it's being patient and studying your enemies, knowing what level certain areas require and once again, being patient. Average gamers expect a Skyrim experience where you can just take on a mob, that's not the case with Dark Souls, the game will punish you for bad decisions.

The game itself is a broken mess, which adds to the "difficulty." The game suffers from: bad frame rate, terrible game mechanics, bad hit detection, bad button input response and recognition. Hence why the 6 is being given, bad game development does not yield a difficult game, it's just lazy development.

Aside from the negatives, the lore of this game is very interesting and will keep you going through out the game. The areas a player visits are interesting, while very linear, the developers did a good job in giving it a pseudo free roam feeling.
  42. Nov 24, 2013
    Definitely mixed with my review on this. I want to simplify this without going into a novel.

Combat is slow in this game. I understand this a game where you have to learn from your mistakes, so i'm not going to rip on the difficulty of this game, infact that's why people love this game so much. The story is a good one that'll keep you wanting more, but to me the game just lacks.

I think the reason its not for me is because I'm an adult with several responsibilities and a full time job along with a Girlfriend I love to spend time with.

I'm more of a casual gamer so to say. This is my opinion.
    If you're a casual gamer that loves to play for the fun of games then I wouldn't play it if I were you.

Now if you're somebody who feels like they need to feel like they accomplished something in life then this game will make you feel so after you rise up to the top of this challenging foe.

However real life itself to me is very challenging/frustrating where I learn from my own mistakes and feel accomplished when I complete something impeccable, so I don't need Dark souls to give me that sense of accomplishment.

Definitely a perfect game if you're an expert gamer who devotes most of their life to games. In fact for hardcore gamers I would give it a 10 but for someone like me it gets a 5.

I just didn't have the time and patience to play something this challenging with real life knocking at my door. Perhaps if I had a good paying part time job and didn't have to pay bills along with other responsibilities I would love this game.
  43. Mar 16, 2014
    The reason people mark this game down are as follows
    The reason people mark this game down are as follows
    story and controls... Ill give you controls for a newbie the controls they some getting used too. But the story is here and its pretty damn good... Each zone has a hidden narritive that you would never see if you don't take your time and explore and you know READ, Each zone has far stretching lore each zone feels balanced (except maybe the ridiculous close bonfires in tomb of the giants)

The graphics are fine and do the job, The gameplay is fun and addicting..
  44. Jan 2, 2017
    I never give 10's because nothing is perfect. Perfection does not exist. Anything can be viewed as flawed depending on who you talk to. For example a FF7 nut would think that it's perfect. While some one with a brain can see that there is a lot of boring stuff there too.

So lets start the review. It's a pretty awesome game for the most part. The world of the game is a Picasso painting on crack that's all interconnected. Very trippy but also very kool. Players will want to explore but at the same time will have a sense of fear since this game has a way of tricking the player constantly. No human being could possibly beat this game on their first try unless they knew what to do at every part and even that's a stretch.

The characters. Very mysterious is the way to describe it. The story isn't really there and needs to be pieced together in a way that ultimately is left up to the player. Basically the story is whatever the player wants it to be. Interesting but lets get real here. That can easily be looked at as lazy story telling rather than a genius approach.

Combat. This is some of the best and worst stuff about the game. Rolling, shield blocking, attacking, different weapons up the ying yang, magic, archery type stuff, bombs, weird items all over the place. Very deep is the word I would use to describe it. But in the end there are only about 10 things that any smart player would stick to lol. So a lot of stuff in the game is next to useless.

Online servers are trash in this game. Getting coop to work is already a nightmare and because of the servers being trash... Good luck. Some parts of the game don't even work for coop so you will have to find out which parts of the game are good for this sort of a thing. And while you're trying to get coop to work a invading player that's op or just plain cheating with mods can show up and crap on you which is always a bummer. Hilarious... But a bummer if you're actually trying to just have fun with your buddy in coop. You can play offline if you don't want to deal with invading players who are often cheaters but there is no way to play coop without having to worry about invaders. This is a huge disappointment with the game. Some defend it by saying that dark souls is just that sort of a game... But honestly... Why can't we have the best of both worlds? Maybe the game on PC can fix this problem with mods lol.

Only certain areas are done with coop so don't think that you can play the game from start to finish with your friend. The game is lame like that. The game is designed to make players suffer in frustration essentially. Veteran players of the series will have a much easier time but even they too will be butt spanked by the game.

The visuals are amazing as well as the music. Very good stuff here. It's also a game that's worth your money. It offers soooooo many secrets and areas to explore. The game has a lot of replay value and that's great. Controls are fairly effective as well. Once you get a feel for rolling, moving, and knowing when to attack and when to fall back you will truly start to understand what it feels like to be good at the game. Or you could just spam magic like crazy which basically turns the game into easy mode. JK lol... If you want to just spam magic it wont be that simple. You will still need to learn how to time things even if it is easier than using a melee weapon. A very challenging game and a game that's not for players expecting a easy game.

Good game. But great? Nahh... maybe in some ways but because of limiting options for multiplayer, bad hit detection in some areas, OP stuff which takes out balance, frustrating areas like the 2 archers in the golden palace, story isn't really there, trash servers etc etc...

It's hard to judge this game. I give the game a 7 to be the guy in the middle ground. Casual gamers would probably give the game a 6 because it's too hard for them and not what they are used to in a rpg. Hardcore challenge loving gamers would like it a lot because it's hard and deep (lolz). Everyone agrees though that the options for multiplayer/coop are weak and the servers suck. Everyone agrees that the story could be told in a more str8 forward way. Do it like skyrim. Have a bunch of little side stories to explore but the main story is still there. That satisfies both the casual and hardcore. Everyone agrees that there is OP stuff like Dark Bead. It's still a good game for the most part and a little different from your usual rpg that you have been getting for the past 20 years. I highly recommend at least experiencing the title just to see how rpg's can evolve these days. I liked it a whole lot but this review is for all gamers so I'm looking at it in a way that all gamers would. Obviously most players would have some gripes so this is a 6-8 depending on who you are really. Giving it a 10 is impossible for obvious reasons and giving it a 9 is being too nice.
  45. Oct 10, 2011
    I picked this up yesterday not knowing what to expect. I read all the reviews, I heard all the hype. I decided to give this game a shot. Never played Demon's souls, but I know it recieved similar praise and I wanted to know what was so great about these games that sounded so frustrating. Twenty hours of game time later and I am here to tell you that this is one of the most original gamesI picked this up yesterday not knowing what to expect. I read all the reviews, I heard all the hype. I decided to give this game a shot. Never played Demon's souls, but I know it recieved similar praise and I wanted to know what was so great about these games that sounded so frustrating. Twenty hours of game time later and I am here to tell you that this is one of the most original games I've ever played. Not since the very first Zelda on the NES have I played something so unique and uncompromising in its design. Full of secrets and easter eggs, tons and tons of cool weapons and armor, and beautiful art design. It's totally true the game is unflinchingly hard. Every section of the game is built around the concept of learning from death. I spent the first twenty minutes or so in the game dying over and over again only to realize I needed to equip a different weapon to deal with different enemies. Once I did so I walked right through them. It all started to click. There is almost always a solution to the situation your stuck in, you just have to use your brain and figure it out, and when you do you feel like a total badass. The controls take a bit of getting used to as you cant just mash the buttons fable style and expect to get anywhere. You really have to carefully plan each strike but again when you learn the enemies attack patterns and weaknesses you smash right through them. I can't reccomend checking this game out enough to those sitting on the fence. If your tired of the same old crap over and over again this was made for you so don't cry about games being repetitive and full of sequels if you don't pick this up. If you consider yourself a hardcore gamer you owe it to yourself and the industry to have this in your collection-no excuses! In over 20 years of playing games this is one of the finest experiences I've ever had with a game not only because the game is great but because it "gets" the psychology behind what makes gamers tick and uses that to keep you playing even when it feels like the odds are 100 percent against you and then rewards you when you do finally overcome them amplifiying your emotion to the point where you feel like you just won the world series when overcoming a difficulty you never thought you were good enough to handle. Nothing else in gameing compares to this experience-period! Expand
  46. Apr 21, 2014
    The only reason this game is hard at all is because hp is pretty much useless - you're going to die in 3 or less hits no matter what health you are. If they'd just be more forgiving in the game it'd be something i could enjoy, but instead what I get is a game that is far more frustrating than it is enjoyable. Call me crazy, but the reason I play games is to have fun. I suppose that'sThe only reason this game is hard at all is because hp is pretty much useless - you're going to die in 3 or less hits no matter what health you are. If they'd just be more forgiving in the game it'd be something i could enjoy, but instead what I get is a game that is far more frustrating than it is enjoyable. Call me crazy, but the reason I play games is to have fun. I suppose that's not the point of this game, because it certainly isn't that fun when you die and lose literally everything you accumulated (and if you used any consumable items, they've now gone to waste).

Basically the only reason this game has the hype that it has, is that they just made the default and only selectable game mode the "insane" difficulty option. It sucks because I feel there's actually a good game here waiting to be played, unfortunately I have neither the patience nor mad skills to experience it. They should have just had an "easy" mode or something for players that don't enjoy playing the same section of a level 50+ times just to get that "perfect" run where you play absolutely perfectly and don't die.

Hardly anything in the game is explained either, so unless you google things, you will never know what half the stats or terms in this game mean. Even with the in-game tooltips, it doesn't explain anything.

On top of that, the game itself has some serious flaws. First off, you can't change the control scheme, which is completely unacceptable, first on the principal of it all, but furthermore for the fact that the default scheme makes zero sense and half the time you make a mistake it's because of the AWFUL control scheme. None of it is intuitive.

The lock on mechanism is completely broken too, it never locks on to who you need it to, and you can't just cycle through enemies, you have to unlock on, then relock on and hope the game magically chooses the correct. All the while this is happing, you are getting peppered with fire bombs, the camera is swinging around in all manner of horrible directions, and your block direction will be compromised and you will probably get hit, which will take half your **** hp away.

All in all it's a gimicky game that should be thankful as hell that it's hype train went "viral" and allowed a pretty mediocre broken game to sell tons of copies, and gather rave reviews that it absolutely does NOT deserve.

Avoid this game unless you are a hardcore gamer that loves playing games on insane difficulty from the get-go.
  47. Nov 11, 2012
    Understand, this game is not made for everyone to enjoy. It is hard, unforgiving, it never holds your hand. Hard is not a bad thing, it's what makes this game so addicting and rewarding. Gameplay is so fine-tuned and fair, if you grasp the fundamentals and put them into practice, nothing is too hard. The game never gives you more than a slight hint as to where to go next, leaving it up toUnderstand, this game is not made for everyone to enjoy. It is hard, unforgiving, it never holds your hand. Hard is not a bad thing, it's what makes this game so addicting and rewarding. Gameplay is so fine-tuned and fair, if you grasp the fundamentals and put them into practice, nothing is too hard. The game never gives you more than a slight hint as to where to go next, leaving it up to the player to explore everything to find out where they can go. Here's the genius behind this, after you've played the game thoroughly, when you play it again, you realize you can go pretty much anywhere you want at anytime, the key is just being good at the game and knowing where valuable items are. Theres no level grinding necessary. For your first time through however, with the experience system the way it is, that being earn xp from killing things, use it at checkpoints to level up, lose them all if you die, it makes every inch of the world dangerous and tense. Bosses are incredibly fun to fight. They are epic, challenging, and awe inspiring, just what boss fights should be. The gameworld is so enigmatic, it does a fantastic job sucking you right in. online functionality is creative as well. Players cannot talk to each other, there is no party chat while playing this game. Everyone is a stranger, another lost soul stuck in this purgatorial hell. Players can leave somewhat cryptic notes anywhere in the world to help guide or mislead other players on their journey. You may also summon other players into your world to give you a much needed edge. Or you can invade another players world and hunt them down and kill them for their experience and humanity, making the world all the more frightful. For hardcore gamers who welcome challenge, this game is one of the most rewarding and exciting games out there. I haven't truly loved many games in the last several years, but I LOVE this game. Expand
  48. Dec 10, 2011
    My toon, originated as "deprived" and is now level 61 and capable of healing, fire, magic and also is fairly deft and adroit with spears and shields. After minimal patching, unlike some similar newer games of its ilk, DARK SOULS runs spendidly and has the full gamut of expected tropes and conventions of many dungeon-crawlers from yesteryear including a "difficulty level" that would makeMy toon, originated as "deprived" and is now level 61 and capable of healing, fire, magic and also is fairly deft and adroit with spears and shields. After minimal patching, unlike some similar newer games of its ilk, DARK SOULS runs spendidly and has the full gamut of expected tropes and conventions of many dungeon-crawlers from yesteryear including a "difficulty level" that would make the Marquis de Sade cry. Ironically, buoyed by player-choice and an open world, DARK SOULS hammers home the challenges with brutal combat and spikes in difficulty that might hamper less hardy players. Great game and world. Tough to master, impossible to tame. Expand
  49. Nov 7, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece. The people who say it requires grinding are retarded. The only time I grinded was when I suddenly decided 35 hours in that "Ya no, heavy armour ain't for me, I'm going for a dodge build". The game does not require any grinding, it requires observation and skill. Nothing more.
  50. Apr 28, 2013
    Punishment at one of the fullest, But Victory at it's best. Dark Souls continues to receive a very demonic challenge with a lot of hours to spend developing your skills and training how to fight specific enemies. A large amount of weapons and monsters will keep you in for the adventure.. Just be warned this game is not meant to be easy and raging will occur
  51. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is so satisfying. Killing a boss after dying 10 times in a row is the best feeling, it doesnt matter if you summon an npc or another player to help you - this game is so hard, but never punishing. graphics and the levelling up system are fantastic. 10 out of 10 as this is just as enjoyable as demons souls, i hope they do a port of xbox owners.
  52. Feb 1, 2012
    A game that demands your attention. A true work of art that other developers should use as a template. I spent 80+ hours on Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls is just as and more addicting then its spiritual predecessor. This game uses creative tools to make it stand out amongst other RPGs. The punishing diffuculty only makes you a better player. Those who rage quit do not give this game enoughA game that demands your attention. A true work of art that other developers should use as a template. I spent 80+ hours on Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls is just as and more addicting then its spiritual predecessor. This game uses creative tools to make it stand out amongst other RPGs. The punishing diffuculty only makes you a better player. Those who rage quit do not give this game enough of a chance. Expand
  53. Mar 9, 2017
    Dark Souls is an important game that should be played by everyone. It is a game that challenges the person on thinking outside of the box and becoming more attuned to its world as a result. It punishes but also rewards with all sorts of gear, items and lessons. It has a wonderful atmosphere, some amazing boss fights and a DLC worthy of your time. Of course it is not perfect; the first halfDark Souls is an important game that should be played by everyone. It is a game that challenges the person on thinking outside of the box and becoming more attuned to its world as a result. It punishes but also rewards with all sorts of gear, items and lessons. It has a wonderful atmosphere, some amazing boss fights and a DLC worthy of your time. Of course it is not perfect; the first half of the game is outstanding, but starts to falter by the second half. The network connections are too long and tedious, making online coop or pvp an issue. Framerate drops often in large scale areas and some bosses are absolutely awful (esp. in the second half). Otherwise, a well done game that succeeds in dark fantasy and difficulty in games done right. Expand
  54. Oct 6, 2011
    Call me a naysayer. I hated Demon's Souls. It wasn't the difficulty (Because Dark Souls is surely more difficult.) It was just that once you looked past the difficulty, the game felt... bland. Dark Souls, on the other hand, feels a lot more refined. A true sequel that built upon the foundation of the first game to deliver what I felt Demon's Souls SHOULD have been.

This game does

This game does lose .5 point for its tutorial and worthless manual. Okay, so a bad tutorial makes the game difficult, since you don't know what you're doing, but even once you do know what you're doing it's still hard. It's just FAR less frustrating. Such as:Tap B twice to jump WHILE sprinting. Once I got my bearings straight, I've been sailing. And by sailing I mean dying. But they've been legitimate deaths. Each enemy knicking away my health bit by bit, forcing me to refine my tactics to save my potions for the big fights. Get completely destroyed in a single blink from an ambush.

Which brings me to the other half of a point lost. The boss fights aren't "difficult" so much as they are poor design. Horrible camera, juggling, and invisible walls make boss fights more irritating than difficult. Especially when the boss jumps, you try to roll under them, and it somehow throws you off a cliff because the game uses cylinders for placement. Fortunately, there aren't too many of them like this. So I can't dock off too much for it.

All in all, it's the ideal game to bring you to the November Gaming Marathon that surely awaits you coming 11/14/11.
  55. Oct 16, 2011
    I had fun setting up my character, and starting thru the tutorial... that's about it. After I escape the first dungeon, I meet a knight and decide to fight him and take his soul (I'm a thief in the game after all...). He kills me in 3 hits... Fine, try again. Respawn/reload the game, he kills me again! The fighting is so lame... He hits me, and my character has to go thru this delayedI had fun setting up my character, and starting thru the tutorial... that's about it. After I escape the first dungeon, I meet a knight and decide to fight him and take his soul (I'm a thief in the game after all...). He kills me in 3 hits... Fine, try again. Respawn/reload the game, he kills me again! The fighting is so lame... He hits me, and my character has to go thru this delayed reaction/animation, realizing he's getting hit, and by the time I regain control, I'm hit again, then dead... again. Fine, can't fight him, I'll reload the game and run away. Nope, he just follows me no matter where I go, and how far I run. My hits are so weak, they barely register, and of course, he has no slow down from my hits, just continues thru his attack motion as if I'm not hitting him multiple times. 9 Deaths later, and screaming at he TV, i quit. Not fun. Why not at least "reset the scene" if the player is killed? If it was a mistake to fight the first character I meet, why not let me learn that, and leave him be upon reloading? Do i have to restart the whole game, and go thru the tutorial dungeon all over again? How many similar situations would ruin my evenings if I decided to keep this torture session disguised as a video game? I would have loved to play with a friend to help me, why restrict me from doing so? Multiplayer is random and can't be coordinated. Not fun. I gave it a rest and tried again the next day, still not fun. At all. Trading it in for Batman Arkham City. Expand
  56. Jun 17, 2015
    Unforgiving this game doesn't hold your hand explains nothing at all and asks from you to figure everything out by yourself. If you like this than maybe it's for you. But beware the gameplay gets repetitive and the enemies just stronger and more unfair.
  57. Oct 4, 2011
    Dark Souls is simply amazing, an addicting challenge, one the most beautifully made hardcore RPG games ever. It's hard to put Dark Souls down, it sucks you in early on and keeps you grinding through hours and hours of death and rewarding conquest. This game will test your nerves and make your blood boil, you will die and you will die often. I guarantee your adrenaline will surge throughDark Souls is simply amazing, an addicting challenge, one the most beautifully made hardcore RPG games ever. It's hard to put Dark Souls down, it sucks you in early on and keeps you grinding through hours and hours of death and rewarding conquest. This game will test your nerves and make your blood boil, you will die and you will die often. I guarantee your adrenaline will surge through the roof and you might even find yourself checking your pulse. Dark Souls is a **** of a game and one hell of a good time. Expand
  58. Oct 4, 2011
    Yes, 10. This game singlehandedly has restored my faith in rpg's. You will get stuck, and feel the rage of your gaming forfathers. You shall either expose yourself as a superficial gamer and quit to go play fluffybunnies, or you shall overcome and experience true accomplishment. The choice is yours.
  59. Mar 30, 2014
    Gamers who disregard this game too quickly should stick with Pokemon. Patience is rewarded with joy and sloppiness death at every turn. Controls take a bit to get used to (didn't even know I could parry until almost the end of the first run (duh, I know)) but once you lock down the concept of stamina and the cost of your actions the control you have is simple and simply amazing. FewGamers who disregard this game too quickly should stick with Pokemon. Patience is rewarded with joy and sloppiness death at every turn. Controls take a bit to get used to (didn't even know I could parry until almost the end of the first run (duh, I know)) but once you lock down the concept of stamina and the cost of your actions the control you have is simple and simply amazing. Few games, if given a chance, will provide you the raw emotions this game does both bad and good. Go borrow money and buy it... Expand
  60. Dec 19, 2012
    TL;DR A great RPG that'll have you raging one moment and cheering the next.

TL;DR A great RPG that'll have you raging one moment and cheering the next.

Dark Souls is a highly debated game with one side crying of "artificial difficulty" and the other being fanboys defending it. However, if you're in the middle (hopefully), you'll realize that its a great game that still has its flaws. Addressing one of the most argued point(s), pertaining to the "artificial difficulty", learning curve, or anything in between, I can say that there are legitimate and also illegitimate complaints. For one, those mainly complaining of the difficulty either tried to A) Blow through the game and got their **** promptly slapped, then complained. or B) Don't understand how to fight or address the different enemies/situations in the game, and would rather not go through the "trial and error" process. Don't be fooled, there is a LOT of trial and error at times. Outside of that highly debated topic, the game is interesting. The beginning and end cutscenes are the only story related scenes, the rest of the story is to be figured out through the player's exploration (another unpopular feature among the modern gamer). The world feels vast, being that you can actually see a lot of the zones from within each other, and they seem so large in view. The characters, while eccentric, aren't exactly memorable, but they aren't very bad either. The game has a depressing atmosphere to it, and it can be felt at times. The art design is great, and really fits the theme, along with the enemies of the world.

The combat is another learning curve that definitely takes some getting used to. Parrying is an interesting mechanic that isn't reliable to the average player, but getting better at it makes dealing with small minions a breeze, but unfortunately it ruins one very important fight in the game. All the classes seem rather balanced although mage/ranger are play styles that seem better suited to the more experienced player, but being proficient at 2 is a big plus. The stats system holds true to any traditional RPG, and while gear doesn't make a world of difference (unless you're worried about your roll...), there is still a lot of customization.

The PVP, while being a very large part of the game, still has its flaws. Summoning is unreliable at best, and doing Co-op with friends isn't exactly easy. Another problem arises with twinks (experienced, very low levels who have beaten the game and NG+ and have their best possible setup) will easily make any newcomer confused and angry at their first online invasion experiences. Lag turns any fight into a "who gets the lucky backstab" duel, and gankers can get very annoying.

I'm not really sure how in-between you can be with Dark Souls, its either something you love, hate, or your friends are making you play to torture yourself with. Despite what many naysayers will complain about, the game still has its strong points, and I would argue that these will outweigh the complaints of "artificial difficulty" and other excuses.
  61. Jun 14, 2014
    When this game was made available to be downloaded for free with the 'Games with Gold' program on Xbox Live, I thought I'd go ahead and try it. (Available from June 1st, 2014 - June 16th, 2014) Believe me, it's not worth the 3.9 gigabytes it takes up on your hard drive. This game is the most repetitive, unforgiving piece of rubbish I've ever played in my life. Just compare it to The ElderWhen this game was made available to be downloaded for free with the 'Games with Gold' program on Xbox Live, I thought I'd go ahead and try it. (Available from June 1st, 2014 - June 16th, 2014) Believe me, it's not worth the 3.9 gigabytes it takes up on your hard drive. This game is the most repetitive, unforgiving piece of rubbish I've ever played in my life. Just compare it to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which was released about a month after this game came out. Does this game look like it was made in 2011, or 2006? You tell me... I know Skyrim looks like it was made in 2011 for sure. The graphics are mostly made up of dull grays, browns, and blacks, with a little puke green added into the mix. Low resolution images and screen tearing plague the game. The characters mouths don't even move when they speak. The voice acting is horrible too, sounding like the voices were recorded in a portable toilet. The controls are even worse... I found myself drinking potions and using items in the middle of combat because the control placement is so bad. Want to hear the real kicker?

Everytime you die, all of the enemies in the stage respawn!!!

Yes, I'm not kidding... Even if one of the small minion enemies kill you, the last 20 guys you just blew through are coming back. So basically it's a patience game... It tests to see how frustrated you get before you put your controller through a wall. Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge as much as the next guy. But Dark Souls takes it way too far... The checkpoints are placed miles apart from each other, causing you to be sent like ten to twenty minutes back when you die. So yeah, that aspect makes the game extremely repetitive... It just boils down to an half-baked RPG that could have been something interesting, but turned out to be a crock of ****

I beg you not to download this game... By not downloading or purchasing it, you'll save yourself a lot of grief and turmoil.
  62. May 17, 2015
    Hours and hours of rage and endless trying of not looking on internet how you do this part and that part. Still you got to love this game, it is a big challenge. If you already got trough this game you deserve some kind of trophy.
  63. Jan 15, 2013
    This game made me rethink the way that I play and enjoy videogames. --------------- TES: Skyrim was released very shortly after Dark Souls. At the time, Skyrim had been heavily hyped and advertised and Dark Souls slipped right past my radar. I do recall seeing it right next to Skyrim on the Metacritic chart but dismissing it. So I played through Skyrim and enjoyed it thoroughly ,This game made me rethink the way that I play and enjoy videogames. --------------- TES: Skyrim was released very shortly after Dark Souls. At the time, Skyrim had been heavily hyped and advertised and Dark Souls slipped right past my radar. I do recall seeing it right next to Skyrim on the Metacritic chart but dismissing it. So I played through Skyrim and enjoyed it thoroughly , thinking it was a 10. But even then I understood that Skyrim is a game where you walk around without any risk. This isn't a knock and it isn't unusual - most games these days present no actual risk, no heart-pounding moments. In Skyrim, after you slog your way through mission after mission you eventually build yourself into an unstoppable juggernaut. So whereas at the beginning of the game all you had to do was run or reload, by the end the only way you're going to die is if you hurl yourself off a cliff. At that point, it Expand
  64. Nov 27, 2011
    Dark Souls is a very fun RPG game that is challenging,fun to die, and overall awesome. If you don't like dieing a lot in a game don't get this ,but if you like RPG's this game is good for you
  65. Nov 20, 2013
    I played this game a year after Skyrim came out and i can say that dark souls sure gives skyrim a run for its money. Skyrim is still my favorite RPG of all time but Dark souls is a very close second. It has a very mysterious allure that just begs to be explored. The fluid movement and combat feel very realistic, and the swing of a sword has the "umpf!" that really lets you feel likeI played this game a year after Skyrim came out and i can say that dark souls sure gives skyrim a run for its money. Skyrim is still my favorite RPG of all time but Dark souls is a very close second. It has a very mysterious allure that just begs to be explored. The fluid movement and combat feel very realistic, and the swing of a sword has the "umpf!" that really lets you feel like there's power in your attack. The pvp is also very intense but its ruined by hackers and cheaters (so best to wait for Dark souls 2 to play online). The punishing difficulty may be intimidating but the reward of overcoming a a very hard enemy is like no other. If you are weak at heart don't play this game, but if you're looking for a genuine challenge that rewards you for perseverance then buy this bad boy and prepare for hell. Expand
  66. Oct 6, 2011
    There is only one way to describe dark souls and that is....AMAZING!!!.this game is a must have if your an jrpg fan or just an rpg fan period.Now I will say this, the game is Very and I mean VERY hard and is not for people who get angry fast since this game is made to punish you(and it will)I have died more times than I'd like to admit but I'm cool with that since when I do progress I feelThere is only one way to describe dark souls and that is....AMAZING!!!.this game is a must have if your an jrpg fan or just an rpg fan period.Now I will say this, the game is Very and I mean VERY hard and is not for people who get angry fast since this game is made to punish you(and it will)I have died more times than I'd like to admit but I'm cool with that since when I do progress I feel a sens of accomplishment and excitement beyond anything I've felt in any game in awhile(besides Ninja Gaiden)I loved Demon souls on PS3 so I knew I had to have Dark souls, and even better yet on the xbox 360.this game get's my highest score.Rpg fans go get some Dark souls. Expand
  67. Jun 12, 2014
    In short, this game is really, really bad. I can't believe that it was recommended to me and that people actually like it. For people that say it is "challenging" and terrific, you don't really have a clue about video games. This takes video games back to 1999, and not in a good way. I have beaten over 140 video games, so I'm not just trolling here. Why did I pick 1999? Well that isIn short, this game is really, really bad. I can't believe that it was recommended to me and that people actually like it. For people that say it is "challenging" and terrific, you don't really have a clue about video games. This takes video games back to 1999, and not in a good way. I have beaten over 140 video games, so I'm not just trolling here. Why did I pick 1999? Well that is the year that Drakan: Order of the Flame came out. And Dark Souls is basically that game, without even getting to fly amazing dragons. Drakan was INCREDIBLE...when it came out. The combat was epic at the time. Graphics were amazing. Pathetically, Dark Souls is just about where Drakan was then, and that was 15 years ago, but Dark Souls actually has WORSE combat, CLUNKY controls, and TERRIBLE camera. And you will miss enemies 1 foot from you because the weapons don't hit where they should. People are confusing "challenge" and piss poor gamemaking. Funny thing about Drakan, is that half way through, it gets really freaking hard as well. You have to count your arrows, roll like a maniac against giants, dodge and run and arrow giants, sometimes even backtrack half a mile to where u left your dragon just to pull a giant to it so you can mount up and take it down. Drakan was hard and you had to use your brain sometimes. Dark Souls is hard because the controls and graphics and camera suck. Glad it was free on Xbox Gold, waste of money otherwise, and I still don't recommend playing it. And it isn't even that hard once you compensate for the poor controls and aim boxes, but you shouldn't have to. Expand
  68. Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, so first of all this game is great but falsely difficult. The game has a nice feel of scale, but unfortunately the frame rate goes down exactly because of the scale. Dark souls has a very unique feel of accomplishment after beating an enemy you couldn't beat before. The game claims to be difficult but as long as you understand the mechanics, you shouldn't have any problems for the mostOk, so first of all this game is great but falsely difficult. The game has a nice feel of scale, but unfortunately the frame rate goes down exactly because of the scale. Dark souls has a very unique feel of accomplishment after beating an enemy you couldn't beat before. The game claims to be difficult but as long as you understand the mechanics, you shouldn't have any problems for the most part. All you need to do is learn enemies pattern and they will become easy...in case you have a good equipment, it's an RPG after all. The graphics are up-to-date, but everything feels better, once again, because of the scale. Demon's souls was known for its strategic gameplay - i.e. you learned something new after every death, but Dark souls feels a little unfair at times. Controls WILL feel clunky at the beginning, but you just have to accept them before you'll start enjoying the game. For the most part this game needs to be understood by the player, and you CANNOT recommend it to anyone, it's either love or hate, and i love it, but the flaws are just too obvious to give it a 10. Expand
  69. Feb 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I got Dark Souls after looking at gameplay and thought to myself, this looks like it could be one of the best games of 2011. I got this game and I immediately got used to the controls, RB didn't feel like such a bad button for attacking and it ended up becoming quite fun. However after easily killing the Asylum Demon the game just went downhill for me. The way the game is layed out just doesn't suit my gaming style. Don't get me wrong, the way the map links up is absolutely incredible and like no other game I've ever played before. The way that there is no loading screens when walking around the map is also good. It took me a bit of time to kill the Taurus Demon but by that time I was already bored by this repetitive piece of junk. The soldiers (or whatever they are called) are some of the most stupid things I have ever seen in a video game. I got to the Capra Demon and was a bit apalled to see that all the enemies seemed to have been called demons up until then. I have struggled with the Capra Demon for several hours of my time and I think if I put enough effort in I could finish him off, but why put effort into something which is such a time-consuming piece of rubbish that should only be found at a landfill. The NPC's mouths don't even move when they speak (or they barely do) which is unacceptable for a game of 2011 when games from 10 years ago even had mouths moving. If you are thinking of getting this game, buy a better RPG such as Skyrim or something from the Fallout series. There is absolutely no competition to Skyrim from this game. The only reason I give this a 1 is because of the way the map links up. This game is hard but hard in a boring way not fun. A game can only be so hard until it gets on your nerves. For some people this may not be the case but for me it was. Expand
  70. Apr 13, 2012
    Arguably one of my favorite games of 2011 and definitely one of my favorite RPG's. Dark Souls combines frantic combat with brutal difficulty to produce a game that rewards foresight and adaptability. Enemies form the starting areas can still kill you even at the end of the game if you rush mindlessly, so the game as a whole punishes you for playing it like a hack and slash. Armors andArguably one of my favorite games of 2011 and definitely one of my favorite RPG's. Dark Souls combines frantic combat with brutal difficulty to produce a game that rewards foresight and adaptability. Enemies form the starting areas can still kill you even at the end of the game if you rush mindlessly, so the game as a whole punishes you for playing it like a hack and slash. Armors and Weapons offer each player a chance to make a entirely unique build to bring to the world through mixing and matching any of the hundreds of items. The game's hidden gem is it's story. One of betrayal and lies, the game give the player only the thinnest glimpses into the story and for anyone who wishes to know what is really going on in this world must dig and discover it for themselves. The other shining point of the game is it's Multiplayer, which is seamlessly integrated into the singleplayer experience. The drawbacks to Dark souls also sadly reside in Multiplayer. Certain items are horrendously game breaking, a bad netcode results in frustrating hours of trying to connect to players and also the wondrous world of lag deaths. Net code aside, Dark Souls is something that every RPG fan should play and any gamer should challenge. Expand
  71. Nov 13, 2012
    This is one of my all time favourite games of all time.
    This game demands a level of patients and thought that many games will never have!
    Do I a random computer nerd recommend this game? Oh yes I do.
    Revisit the Glory days of hard games.
  72. Oct 4, 2011
    Got Dark Souls this past Saturday @ Video games New York (the old St.Marks video games) and it's been giving me anxiety ever since. Anxiety, heartbreak & depression mixed with pure joy. That's how I would describe the last few days with Dark Souls. I literally grinded around the same bonfire for 5 hours straight, 30,000 souls...I call it "Soul Spamming" I transformed my pyromancer fromGot Dark Souls this past Saturday @ Video games New York (the old St.Marks video games) and it's been giving me anxiety ever since. Anxiety, heartbreak & depression mixed with pure joy. That's how I would describe the last few days with Dark Souls. I literally grinded around the same bonfire for 5 hours straight, 30,000 souls...I call it "Soul Spamming" I transformed my pyromancer from rape victim to rapist...until I decided to explore the forest with the gigantic crystal monsters that explode. I have now gone back to being a rape victim. Damn you Dark Souls. You may hate me, but I'm starting to fall in love with you. Expand
  73. Nov 8, 2011
    Great game but insanely hard, not for everyone I have to stop playing this game about ever hour after how man it makes me. Sofar I have put in a good 60 hours and just beat the first level.
  74. May 18, 2012
    dark souls is an awesome game it is one of the hardest games of this generation my only gripes are there are some pvp balancing issues the framerate drops in certain areas and the controls dont always work
  75. Nov 21, 2011
    Dark Souls is an interesting game for today's generation, where games are usually much easier. I wasn't alive for the times when games like Battletoads came out, but I have gone back to play them. They are brutal. I am a glutton for punishment, playing games like Aban Awkins and The 1000 Spikes (etc.), but Dark Souls was one of the more enjoyable punishing games I've played.

It's a great

It's a great fantasy game, there's no doubt about it. I like the "soul" system of currency, where you can either spend your hard earned money (which can disappear very fast) on new equipment or on levelling. It makes a guy think when he can either level a single attribute or buy that new armour from that creepy merchant, knowing both can help him. The combat is good, the system of having a left and right hand (and controlling them as such) is also good (I never played Demon's Souls). There are a few problems. Initially, the game was hard. Hard as hell. But then you realize, once you go through an area two, three, four, ten times, you just need to know where the enemies spawn and how to defeat them. Roll at the right time, attack. It isn't that hard once you go through the same area a few times. The bosses, on the other hand, are a mixed bag of emotions: they are very well thought out , and they're a blast to fight. Some of them do have very cheap tactics and moves that will see you killed without any warning or even knowing how something hit you. I also found some annoying parts, especially when starting, such as attacking someone by accident, having to kill them because they became aggressive, then losing out on a fairly important merchant early in the game.

Dark Souls is not a bad game by any means. If you are a glutton for punishment, this is your game. I do have to tell you one thing though:

Get TES: Skryim. It is a better game, especially if you're looking for a game that won't get you depressed considering how many times you die.
  76. Oct 27, 2012
    Dark Souls is a good game in some ways. I like the way you fight and how you have to watch out for traps, attacks and so on. It's pretty cool, because you won't come far with button-smashing.That's something I really like about Dark Souls. Also there's nothing to say about the difficulty of the game: it's okay, but sometimes unfair. For example: you search the area for the next checkpointDark Souls is a good game in some ways. I like the way you fight and how you have to watch out for traps, attacks and so on. It's pretty cool, because you won't come far with button-smashing.That's something I really like about Dark Souls. Also there's nothing to say about the difficulty of the game: it's okay, but sometimes unfair. For example: you search the area for the next checkpoint and meet an enemy, that's much higher than you are. So you die, that's okay. But you lose all the Exp gained on the way to this enemy. So you've got two options: forget the Exp, farm everything again or you try to get it back, but actually there's no chance of getting it back, because you die again if you go there, where your Exp are. So what? You farm again and again and again. You spend hours and hours farming the same routes over and over again. If you like this, go and play World of Warcraft but in Dark Souls it's just annoying. I really want to like this game, but it's difficult to like it that way. Don't be fooled by all of these hype-guys, giving the game a 10. It's an average game, but nothing more. Dragon's Dogma is much more fun, nearly the same way of Gameplay and you have the choice how difficult that game is. Expand
  77. Apr 7, 2013
    while the difficulty level of this game is high, every time you die its your own fault. the combat feels so good it never gets boring because every enemy is a enemy that can kill you not like in other games where you spam 1 key to win. this game just draws you in this world its so fun and rewarding to play it was my game of the year
  78. Jan 19, 2013
    SO i thought i was a good gamer until dark souls . I had to die over and over to rethink gaming and strategy. Now i despise games that hold your hand. While the game cheats a little,i have noticed where you can take damage through some walls and arrows that curve slightly towards you ..... all is fair game . I love the game and i am going to start on demon souls to see what i missed.
  79. Apr 5, 2014
    Now I will speak plainly about this game, and I won't go into excruciating detail. This is not for everyone. Hell, its not even for me. I enjoy a challenge, but this game gives you that strong sense of dread and the impossibility of the level. The game constantly tries to test your limits to the max, and I applaud the developers for that. However, this game has an acquired taste to it. TheNow I will speak plainly about this game, and I won't go into excruciating detail. This is not for everyone. Hell, its not even for me. I enjoy a challenge, but this game gives you that strong sense of dread and the impossibility of the level. The game constantly tries to test your limits to the max, and I applaud the developers for that. However, this game has an acquired taste to it. The graphics and art direction of this game is amazing, but it's just not for me. This game doesn't make the attempt to appeal to everybody, which I applaud. If you like excruciating difficulty and a interesting experience, play Dark Souls. If you want to shoot up 12 year old kids and call them campers, play COD. Expand
  80. Oct 22, 2015
    This game is proof positive that there's at least one developer that can still make a quite difficult, albeit fun game. Good on graphics, good on controls, good on pretty much every front, the story might seem a bit light at first glance, but I think fleshing out the world any more than From did would lessen the game. Not many cutscenes to be found here, and not many needed by myThis game is proof positive that there's at least one developer that can still make a quite difficult, albeit fun game. Good on graphics, good on controls, good on pretty much every front, the story might seem a bit light at first glance, but I think fleshing out the world any more than From did would lessen the game. Not many cutscenes to be found here, and not many needed by my estimation.

The first game in a long time to actually make me think before I act.
  81. Feb 10, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game. Make no mistake. It is frustratingly hard and sometimes the grinding for souls gets a bit boring, but the satisfaction of beating the bosses and even the mini-bosses is well worth it.

It is weird that the selection of character doesn't really make a huge deal as you can play however you wish regardless of what class. In a nutshell..... very hard and

In a nutshell..... very hard and frustrating, but worthwhile.
  82. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is pretty awesome and a huge improvement from the original. It still keeps its crushing difficulty but fortunately it works for this game. the end
  83. Mar 23, 2012
    You the chosen undead make your pilgramage from the undead asylum in the north to lordran to fulfil the prophecy and break the curse of the darksign. For people who played the previous game "demon's souls" this game will be very familiar as it plays exactly the same with the odd addition here and there, there is also the familiar concept of souls as currency that you drop when dead andYou the chosen undead make your pilgramage from the undead asylum in the north to lordran to fulfil the prophecy and break the curse of the darksign. For people who played the previous game "demon's souls" this game will be very familiar as it plays exactly the same with the odd addition here and there, there is also the familiar concept of souls as currency that you drop when dead and have to fight your way back to. The best new feature of this game is the intergrated world, no longer do you have the nexus hub and warp to each level now you must fight your way to wherever you must journey. This game like the last one is for gamers seeking a test of skill and determination. A game not for the weak of mind or the weak of heart. Expand
  84. Apr 17, 2013
    El mas grandioso, melancólico y tenebroso juego de la historia, direccion de arte y de enemigo derivados de una auténtica inspiración demoniaca de los autores, y lo mejor este año sale el 2.
  85. Nov 8, 2011
    This game in fact was one of the best rpg action games in my life. This game is not only difficult ,but it brings gaming towards a new dimension of classic fighting. Though you will rage quit and die in this game, you will be sucked back into playing this. Also, I bet that people who say this game sucks is most likely because they cannot beat this game without moding or soul glitching thisThis game in fact was one of the best rpg action games in my life. This game is not only difficult ,but it brings gaming towards a new dimension of classic fighting. Though you will rage quit and die in this game, you will be sucked back into playing this. Also, I bet that people who say this game sucks is most likely because they cannot beat this game without moding or soul glitching this game I do not recommend this game for rage quitters, sore losers, and little kids. Its not for you. Expand
  86. Nov 26, 2011
    One of this years better games, challenging with an interesting story and setting - character development is good and you can mould your character around the way you want to play (I have been playing a sorcery caster and am currently in Anor Londo, unfortunately skyrim is taking huge chunks out of my life at the moment but I hope soon to be back and finishing this game off as I wouldOne of this years better games, challenging with an interesting story and setting - character development is good and you can mould your character around the way you want to play (I have been playing a sorcery caster and am currently in Anor Londo, unfortunately skyrim is taking huge chunks out of my life at the moment but I hope soon to be back and finishing this game off as I would really like to find out how it ends). The developers also appear to be supporting the title well as is apparent in the patches they have been putting out. This game is hard though - take your time to level up and play smart and you will find a very rewarding game here, try to rush through and be prepared to die lots. Expand
  87. Dec 8, 2011
    Probably the best game i've played this gen. It does have some issues (areas of low framerate, multiplayer is a little too much of a hurdle to get into) but it says alot when those issues can be overlooked.
  88. Mar 9, 2014
    Fantastic game that only has a few flaws. First the good news. The combat is great and challenging. The environments are beautiful and the enemies are varied. That said prepare to die a lot. Is the game impossibly challenging? no, but when just starting out the controls can be hard to get used to. I would say don't judge the game based on the first two hours, keep at it and you willFantastic game that only has a few flaws. First the good news. The combat is great and challenging. The environments are beautiful and the enemies are varied. That said prepare to die a lot. Is the game impossibly challenging? no, but when just starting out the controls can be hard to get used to. I would say don't judge the game based on the first two hours, keep at it and you will discover an amazing game. After the first few initial levels the game opens up and while challenging becomes a great adventure. The only issue i would have with the game is that the story is lacking. While the story is there its very basic and it would be great if there was more to it. The story sounds very interesting and yet the finer details are not really fleshed out as you go along. However, the gameplay makes up for this and ultimately this is one of the best games i have played in a long time. I could not put it down once i was able to begin to get a small grasp of the mechanics. Learning how to play this game is a challenge but over time you will learn how to approach certain enemies and defeat them. Is this game punishing at times with checkpoints yes, but the game is ultimately very rewarding. There will probably be moments of frustration while playing this game, I had plenty of them. I could not beat one boss until my tenth try. Still these moments will pass and will not ruin what is an amazing game. My advice to new players is to not be discouraged at the beginning. The game truly does get better. I have just finished my first playthrough and i cannot wait to dive into a second adventure. Expand
  89. Apr 18, 2015
    A este juego le dedique horas y puedo llegar a decir que ha sido uno de mis juegos favoritos y de los mejores que jugado:

Pros: -un diseño de nivel excelente. -gran variedad de enemigos. -un gran trasfondo, dando así una historia de lo mas variada con hipótesis. -jugabilidad desafiante. -rejugable al 100%. -gran diseño de escenarios. -una muy buena banda sonora. -los diseños de

Pros:
    -un diseño de nivel excelente.
    -gran variedad de enemigos.
    -un gran trasfondo, dando así una historia de lo mas variada con hipótesis.
    -jugabilidad desafiante.
    -rejugable al 100%.
    -gran diseño de escenarios.
    -una muy buena banda sonora.
    -los diseños de los jefes son muy buenos.
    -muchas cosas ocultas y por descubrir.

Contras:
    -falta de dirección, de repente en el juego no sabes a donde ir.
    -historia que a simple vista no se percata.
    -fallos en el online.

Es un juego que no llega a ser para todos ya que puede llegar a frustrarte, ya que muchas veces no te enteras de nada y la dificultad llega a ser un poco mas hasta que la de otros jugos, sin embargo si uno le da una oportunidad puede tener una gran experiencia con este juego.
  90. Nov 5, 2015
    Dark Souls subverts a lot of expectations and design decisions attached to the 3rd person action genre; which consequently burns a lot of people taking it a face value. Most of the negative user reviews for this game are written out of ignorance and say more about the reviewers than the actual game. Dark Souls isn't perfect but is objectively one of the greats. It is not for everyoneDark Souls subverts a lot of expectations and design decisions attached to the 3rd person action genre; which consequently burns a lot of people taking it a face value. Most of the negative user reviews for this game are written out of ignorance and say more about the reviewers than the actual game. Dark Souls isn't perfect but is objectively one of the greats. It is not for everyone because it truly takes skill and patients, it asks you to get better as a player instead of your in game avatar. Expand
  91. Oct 4, 2011
    I got Dark Souls early after a mom and pop store broke the street date.I only own a 360 so i never knew about the soul series.After the fair bit of hype generating around the title i decided to look up the previews of said game and it's progeny before a purchase.One forum user said if you like ninja gaiden black this game is the kind of game you'll be interested in..boy were theyI got Dark Souls early after a mom and pop store broke the street date.I only own a 360 so i never knew about the soul series.After the fair bit of hype generating around the title i decided to look up the previews of said game and it's progeny before a purchase.One forum user said if you like ninja gaiden black this game is the kind of game you'll be interested in..boy were they right.This game DOES NOT hold your hand whatsoever, and if you're the type of person to get annoyed by deaths skip this title enticingly as you'll be doing alot of it( as well as learning from it.)

Even at the beginning of the game From Software makes their intentions clear,their goal is to kill you if you aren't going to learn the mechanics of block or staying clear from enemy attacks.I know you're thinking " well it's an RPG and any idiot will know not to go running in blindly and pull a **** load of aggo it's only common sense" but sometimes they like to trick you into making you feel like you've succeeded in something then crush your ego as soon as you step into another room.After you managed to bypass/clear a current area you've been stuck on,you'll be guaranteed to have the biggest smile on your face and the best feeling from playing a video game in years.

From enemy an area design to some of the best atmospheric sounds you'll ever hear, this game has everything covered perfectly... if you're up to the challenge that is.
  92. Nov 21, 2011
    Ill be honest I loved Demon souls, Dark Souls not so much lol I know ! The graphics are amazing, the fighting is what was to be expected, difficulty out of this world so whats the problem? I guess the wowness and surprises of Demon souls still for me at lest out shines Dark Souls. I gave Dark Souls an 8 its not a bad game, but its nothing to wow over this time. If you loved Demon souls IIll be honest I loved Demon souls, Dark Souls not so much lol I know ! The graphics are amazing, the fighting is what was to be expected, difficulty out of this world so whats the problem? I guess the wowness and surprises of Demon souls still for me at lest out shines Dark Souls. I gave Dark Souls an 8 its not a bad game, but its nothing to wow over this time. If you loved Demon souls I would say pick it up you love it. Expand
  93. Nov 1, 2012
    For those looking for a challenge and some of the greatest medieval fantasy design in the last few years - play this game. There's little handholding but for those who have grown tired of running through games unscratched, a fair challenge awaits you.

Because the game is fair - if you die you just need to rethink your strategy.
  94. Apr 22, 2013
    This game is the most overrated ever! Let me Explain why I think this game is bad.......1st: There is no choice of difficulty settings, instead you were force to be challenge all the time (which I hate).......2nd: Its exactly the same game as Demon Souls, only difference is the place, environment and the monsters, people was mad that "COD" always being a rip off from its previous gameThis game is the most overrated ever! Let me Explain why I think this game is bad.......1st: There is no choice of difficulty settings, instead you were force to be challenge all the time (which I hate).......2nd: Its exactly the same game as Demon Souls, only difference is the place, environment and the monsters, people was mad that "COD" always being a rip off from its previous game every time but what about Dark Souls rip off Demon Souls?..... 3rd: Its not "open world" type like Skyrim or Fallout 3 but instead your were force to go on a linear path anywhere........4th: There is very few dialogue choices while communicating with several NPCs (infact there were very few NPCs) on a game which its genre has being called an "RPG" game........5th There is no "cheats" or what so ever for players who are so frustrated by the game and doesn't want to be challenge.......6th: There is no storyline to it, just a linear dialogue and cutscene to push you forward? To me gaming is about "fun" and I find this game isn't about "fun" but "challenges". For me who has less "free time" and a busy person, I find this game a horrible game for me...... If I want to be challenged, I'll do it in real life like challenge myself in sports or any competition that benefits me in real life and not on a nerd virtual videogame that was made by someone who is successful at making money from giving others "challenges". Expand
  95. Oct 21, 2013
    One of, if not the single best RPG released in recent years. This game is designed to be difficult, but it's not as difficult as some users may make it out to be. While it definitely IS difficult, the game rewards you for trying, learning and fighting your way through the massive world of Lordran, fighting your way through the slums of the Undead Asylum, all the way to the PrimordialOne of, if not the single best RPG released in recent years. This game is designed to be difficult, but it's not as difficult as some users may make it out to be. While it definitely IS difficult, the game rewards you for trying, learning and fighting your way through the massive world of Lordran, fighting your way through the slums of the Undead Asylum, all the way to the Primordial Flame, surrounded by a massive kingdom burnt to ash. On top of the amazing world and fantastically deep lore, the game features some of the finest combat to ever be featured in any RPG, with weapons and armor that can be customized to your play style, allowing you to be a swift thief one moment, stabbing your enemies in the back, to a bulking tank of a knight, crushing your opponents with massive weapons made of steel, dragons teeth or even a basic club. It also features some of the most rewarding and finely tuned Player Versus Player combat to ever be featured in a videogame, allowing you to invade the worlds of other players, or be summoned to assist friends and strangers alike in the deadly world of Lordran. Any way you look at it, this is the perfect RPG, and would be a daunting pass to surpass.

Prepare to die...
  96. Oct 10, 2011
    This is by far the hardest game on the Xbox 360, which is the games curse but also its strength. The RPG elements are solid and each level up feels like my hero was getting stronger but the game behaves randomly and where once a battle was a breeze to maneuver through becomes a nightmare of un-relentless foes. This has to be the games biggest problem. When you grind you often are tediouslyThis is by far the hardest game on the Xbox 360, which is the games curse but also its strength. The RPG elements are solid and each level up feels like my hero was getting stronger but the game behaves randomly and where once a battle was a breeze to maneuver through becomes a nightmare of un-relentless foes. This has to be the games biggest problem. When you grind you often are tediously grinding through the same environments before you can take on the boss that you've attempted a dozen times before. The strength of the game is when you over come these problems, your rewarded with well designed maps and cut scenes, although there is little story. You do feel like you become stronger and the leveling system is fun but because of the tedium grinding and the random difficulty spikes this game is only for true hardcore RPG fans. Expand
  97. Nov 11, 2011
    What a lot of crap really the graphics for next gen could have been alot better, controls that drive you insane..meeting other characters in the game talk but make no sense and they don't even move it's like a mime show..All the hype really I feel robbed I even thought keep going it's going to get better o gee died, died and died again..no real effort in character design hell let makeWhat a lot of crap really the graphics for next gen could have been alot better, controls that drive you insane..meeting other characters in the game talk but make no sense and they don't even move it's like a mime show..All the hype really I feel robbed I even thought keep going it's going to get better o gee died, died and died again..no real effort in character design hell let make character and you be wearing a sacks for armour really come on..I hope Skyrim is alot better than this all this game is good for is a cup mat to remind how you wasted your money on a over hyped game... Expand
  98. Oct 13, 2011
    Borderline terrible controls and hit detection at times. Framerate suffers immensely when the screen is full of characters. Multiplayer is probably the worst I have ever experienced, tried for over an hour multilpe times to join other people or have them join me met with failure save for one time. Difficulty is as stated, but the game flirts with completely unfair/borderline impossibleBorderline terrible controls and hit detection at times. Framerate suffers immensely when the screen is full of characters. Multiplayer is probably the worst I have ever experienced, tried for over an hour multilpe times to join other people or have them join me met with failure save for one time. Difficulty is as stated, but the game flirts with completely unfair/borderline impossible with some of the enemies in the game. Overall, it's an ok game, nothing to write home about. Expand
  99. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is great for those who like a challenge and dont mind dying....A LOT. Jumping into Dark Souls is unlike any game your used to, it does not hold your hand and give you tutorials. You literally fight a huge boss minuets after you start the game. The world and enemies in Dark souls are vast, this is on game where buying a strategy guide is highly recommended! You always need to beThis game is great for those who like a challenge and dont mind dying....A LOT. Jumping into Dark Souls is unlike any game your used to, it does not hold your hand and give you tutorials. You literally fight a huge boss minuets after you start the game. The world and enemies in Dark souls are vast, this is on game where buying a strategy guide is highly recommended! You always need to be on your toes in this game. Very trial and error based. Being able to summon other players into your world to help fight a boss is great, it makes things alot easier and enjoyable. Expand
  100. Jun 17, 2012
    First up if you get this game you will die, a lot. I died a couple of times during the tutorial, but that is what makes the game so good. When you die it makes you want to go back and beat whoever (or whatever) killed you, when you do that there is no greater satisfaction, trust me. When I first went on Dark Souls and I finished the tutorial, hated the game. There's no map or compass toFirst up if you get this game you will die, a lot. I died a couple of times during the tutorial, but that is what makes the game so good. When you die it makes you want to go back and beat whoever (or whatever) killed you, when you do that there is no greater satisfaction, trust me. When I first went on Dark Souls and I finished the tutorial, hated the game. There's no map or compass to guide you, the enemies are hard to kill, good weapons and armour are hard to find at the beginning of the game and I spent at least 4 hours fighting my way up to the Taurus demon and being killed by it. But after a while when I got used to the control scheme and I got better at backstabbing and parrying etc, the game got easier and a lot more fun to play.

Overall, this game, in my opinion, is very similar to games like the old Onimusha titles. You have to scavenge for new armour and weapons, enemies are difficult to kill but not impossible, it's just a fantastic deep game that is defiantly worth buying.

1. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, Dark Souls is a more difficult, but less enjoyable (and less accessible) Demon's Souls.
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Souls' world is dense with something new around every corner. [Issue#78, p.76]
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Dark Souls makes no bones about being unrelenting in its difficulty though, although it's by no means insurmountable. It's a rare game that's unlike anything else, refusing to pander or compromise in any way, shape or form. In this day and age, Dark Souls is hugely refreshing then, and well worth the time and effort.