8.6

1. Jan 26, 2011
    Dead Space was a landmark for the survival-horror genre. The game ramped up the scares and action to ludicrous levels, delivering one of the most fun and intense horror games since Resident Evil 4. Dead Space 2, like its dementia-afflicted protagonist, is absolutely insane. The game cranks up the action into overdrive while still delivering some hefty scares, albeit less frequently thanDead Space was a landmark for the survival-horror genre. The game ramped up the scares and action to ludicrous levels, delivering one of the most fun and intense horror games since Resident Evil 4. Dead Space 2, like its dementia-afflicted protagonist, is absolutely insane. The game cranks up the action into overdrive while still delivering some hefty scares, albeit less frequently than the first. However, that does not stop Dead Space 2 from being a tense thrill ride. This sequel improves greatly upon the flaws of the first. The environments are varied, the game is longer, and it packs multiplayer to boot. If you even consider yourself a fan of sci-fi or horror, pick up this game. Now. Expand
  2. Jan 27, 2011
    I'm kind of disappointed that this game got only a meta-critic of 90. And I'm also disappointed that the highest score I could rate this game is a perfect score. This is the scariest horror game I played in my life.
  3. Jan 26, 2011
    I've been playing survival-horror since the genre's creation back when I was in middle school with the first Resident Evil, and I've been an enthusiastic supporter of the genre ever since. The first Dead Space was a phenomenal knockout punch that undoubtedly sent a wake-up call to the people at Capcom and Konami. Dead Space 1 managed to use every element to its advantage. The graphicsI've been playing survival-horror since the genre's creation back when I was in middle school with the first Resident Evil, and I've been an enthusiastic supporter of the genre ever since. The first Dead Space was a phenomenal knockout punch that undoubtedly sent a wake-up call to the people at Capcom and Konami. Dead Space 1 managed to use every element to its advantage. The graphics were superb, the sound design was flawless, and the combat and gameplay were interesting and fresh. Now we have a sequel that has improved upon the original in so many ways, while leaving the core formula of the game intact. It feels like a true sequel that has fully realized its potential.

As soon as Isaac wakes up from his coma, the game starts you (the player) off with a perfect example of the game's new action focus. You have to run through an infested hospital, in a straight jacket, with no way to defend yourself, while Necromorphs are bearing down on you from all sides. You finally get a weapon in your hands, and you're off to save the Sprawl. The setup is disorienting and tosses you right in the middle of the infestation, which is awesome. You wake up in the thick of the pandemonium, and it forces you to come to grips with your situation super quick.

The graphics are unlike any I've seen on a home console. I just played through the first Dead Space a couple days ago (in anticipation of the sequel's release), and Dead Space 2 improves on the graphical presentation in almost every conceivable way. The environments are unbelievably varied, with some softer angles and lighting tricks. There are shopping malls, apartment buildings, and a creepy cultist church (which is modeled immaculately). There is so much variety in the graphics, it stands in stark contrast to the Ishimura's beautiful-but-bland environments from the previous game. Character models are equally impressive, with very high polygon counts and the fantastic dynamic lighting effects make some areas of the space station downright terrifying.

The graphics may be amazing, but the sound design is what made Dead Space 1 truly special. The audio design was such a key element. The same is true in the sequel. Little noises, like the clanging of a piece of metal that was knocked over by something just outside your field of vision constantly keeps the fear level up. There is also more actual music this time around, as opposed to the musical sounds that were designed to appear as though they were made by the ship in the first game. This time around, there are more orchestral stabs and percussion rhythms, which is not a bad thing by any means. There are also some really creepy moments with music box audio beds and other treats that just creep you out. And of course, there are the screams and wails of the inhabitants of the space station (living or... otherwise) and that is certain to make you jump more than once.

All this wouldn't mean a thing if it weren't fun to play, so it's a good thing that the game plays a lot better than its older sibling. The controls have been tightened up, so Isaac moves around and looks around much faster. He's more agile this time around, and he's a lot more fun to play. The strategic dismemberment system is also back, and it's better than ever, granting you new abilities- like blasting off a blade-like arm from an enemy and using telekinesis to shoot it back at them, pinning them to a wall. You'll never get tired of that one. There's a multiplayer mode, but I haven't played it. It looks fun- 4 on 4 humans vs. necromorph teams. Don't know how well it works in practice, but it sounds good on paper.

All-in-all, Dead Space 2 is a fantastic game that really takes a winning formula and improves it with expert precision. Little tweaks and new ideas all merge together to become something truly special, that the original game was trying to be all along. They managed to take a gameplay style that had already amassed intense acclaim for its creativity and freshness, and came back stronger and meaner in the second game. It is truly an expertly executed sequel. Like I tell all my friends- you can play Halo, and run around shooting stupid cartoony aliens that are more like comic reliefs than a real threat to humanity, or you can pop in Dead Space, and feel what a truly terrifying alien attack would be like. Which do you want? Cartoony mindless fun, or pulse-pounding terror mixed with the will to survive? The choice is clear. Play Dead Space.
  4. Jan 26, 2011
    Wow this game is 2 disks. Just over 12 Meg installed on the Xbox hard drive.
    So far playing this game (and im just starting chapter 2) my chest is tight, im scarred & loving it!!!

A heart felt thanks to the people who made this game. 100% in my books!
  5. Mar 15, 2011
    As much as I would have like this game to be a perfect 10, and as much as when I was playing it I wanted to say, "This is awesome!!", I have to admit there wasn't much there to make me feel like I thought it was even a decent sequel to Dead Space, which I had rented and returned one week late because I was so obsessed with playing it. There were many core things that I couldn't understandAs much as I would have like this game to be a perfect 10, and as much as when I was playing it I wanted to say, "This is awesome!!", I have to admit there wasn't much there to make me feel like I thought it was even a decent sequel to Dead Space, which I had rented and returned one week late because I was so obsessed with playing it. There were many core things that I couldn't understand weren't in this "monster of a sequel":
    1) Where are the huge bosses? I don't recall seeing a one. The final boss was just plain annoying, not epic or anything...
    2) Where are the cool repair missions and the complete feeling of being two steps behind all the time, survival seeming impossible..
    3) Where are the cool characters you meet and love but don't trust at all?
    4) WHY OH WHY DOES ISAAC TALK.....WHY???? Him not speaking was half the mystery about the protagonist they had created. They removed all doubt about his character or 'mystery'...this might seem like a small detail but for me this was huge. I found it strange and out of place that he would speak.
    5) The new guns are VERY uncreative...one gun is the same as what you can do with kinesis..but wait....they added a SNIPER RIFLE...? Dead Space was all about creative weapons, and just plain tools you'd see around.
    6) Online feels like it was thrown in just to please all the YouTube whiners who want a multiplayer experience in every single game they play. Why are gamers like that now? What happened to creating a really really good single player experience..? Felt like a ripoff of Left 4 Dead..
    7) The new aliens don't really do anything for me...enough said.
    8) The gore was REALLY upgraded, a sign of making up for shortcomings...aka becoming a typical survival-horror shooter..
    9) Suits were boring and were basically 3 or 4 archetypes and then all that changed were the colours. COME ON...
    10) Game felt repetetive, the hack puzzles were unimaginative and boring, story sucked, and really didn't make sense at all...

Ok so now that I'm dwelling on the negative, I do have some things I think they improved:

1) They shooting mechanics felt much better, I thought they were and improvement, including the reloading animations especially for the plasma cutter.
    2) It's Dead Space. Enough said...
    3) Hard Core mode looks like I'll never ever beat it...
    4) Graphics were really really good.
    5) Hey, at least they released a sequel

All that being said, the game was alright, there were times when I thought it was pretty good, and times when I felt ripped off. All in all, I give this game a 5 because of the fact that it really didn't live up to Dead Space 1. It's not an innovative addition to the series, it added boring multiplayer and a streamlined single player experience. If you don't get the online pass, don't bother. I'm really in the minority here, but hopefully some people can read a review from someone who absolutely LOVES Dead Space and considers the series one of the very absolute favorites.
  6. Feb 1, 2011
    This game is awesome. I don't even like this type of games but Dead Space 2 is someting out of the ordinary. The work put to this game is simply astonishing. EA made it happen finally!! The graphics + creepy audio had my heart pounding like crazy
  7. Jan 27, 2011
    If you're looking for one of the greatest survival horror games ever made (if not the best one in general), then look no further than Dead Space 2 (though you might want to play the first one to get caught up to speed, plus that's a great game too).
  8. Jan 31, 2011
    After the first Dead Space, I was instantly glued on the idea of getting another. Everything the first Dead Space had, Dead Space 2 has more. I was rarely scared in Dead Space, but that was before I has surround sound headphones. With my Tritton AX Pros I can hear every sound, even if I don't want to. Surround sound really immerses you into the game, and if you have it, there is no doubtAfter the first Dead Space, I was instantly glued on the idea of getting another. Everything the first Dead Space had, Dead Space 2 has more. I was rarely scared in Dead Space, but that was before I has surround sound headphones. With my Tritton AX Pros I can hear every sound, even if I don't want to. Surround sound really immerses you into the game, and if you have it, there is no doubt in my mind that you will love this game. Compared to Dead Space, this game has more varied environments, a much better developed protagonist, more enemies (on screen), and great cut-scenes/action-scenes. I really enjoyed playing through the game, and the multiplayer is a nice addition. Some people say the game had a difficulty spike, I never felt it on normal difficulty. Some complained about the missions (go here do this, Isaac does whatever he is told) but you have to remember, Isaac is suffering from dementia and needs all the help he can get. If you are a skeptic, play the demo. I'm sure you will be hooked and ready for more. Expand
  9. Feb 3, 2011
    I will explain here with few simple examples why Dead space 2 doesn't meet the high expectations from the first game. DS1 have 2 really big bosses (Leviathan and Hive) - DS2 have nil. (i was expecting at least 3 )
    In DS1 you have 6 bad ass costumes. In DS2 you have 4 crappy outfits. (i was expecting real bad ass-ness here, but throughout the game I was like lol, and why?!)
    In DS1 story
    In DS1 story make sense. In DS2 it doesn't. (DS - alone, trapped in a haunted mining space ship, with only mining tools at your disposal, scary and depressing atmosphere. DS2 - not alone, not trapped = no scary. Only mining tools as weapons in entire space station? - come on. If one man can kill hundreds of necros, imagine what an army could do - just send the space marines, the army, tanks, battle ships ). One Big disappointment on all fronts...

Overall DS2 is nothing more than MEDIOCRE space shooter with doesn't-make-sense crappy story. DS was innovative, scary, thrilling, had a story that makes sense and it deserved a much better continuation. I am sad, very sad...
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    Why would you give this game a ten out of ten, i'm sorry but why? I'm not gonna say everyone's fanboys but I cant see your reason. I love DS1, it is ranked way up there in my top ten but what DS1 did was new and scary and actually interesting, it had a fudging story! DS2 is a tedious romp through repetetive areas that get old. The puzzles are awfull i have to say and the enemies are theWhy would you give this game a ten out of ten, i'm sorry but why? I'm not gonna say everyone's fanboys but I cant see your reason. I love DS1, it is ranked way up there in my top ten but what DS1 did was new and scary and actually interesting, it had a fudging story! DS2 is a tedious romp through repetetive areas that get old. The puzzles are awfull i have to say and the enemies are the same, come on at least change a bit, oh look babies thats it really and they get old too after the tenth time it to minutes almost getting killed, i found that i had to put on the hardest difficulty after half an hour. Its not even scary, in DS1 i had to have all the lights on and the curtains open in the day to play it, this... i would give this to my six year old brother. It is an awfull game not worth buying even if you want the online which is even worse as it is just as repetetive and dull, God save anyone who buys it. Expand
  11. Jan 29, 2011
    Awesome game! providing hours of thrills and scares that just keep surprising. and when you finish with the great new campaign, you still have the new multiplayer component where you can play as humans and necromorphs. though the controls may be a little sketchy in multiplayer and the campaign enemies a little unfair its still must buy.
  12. Jan 27, 2011
    Absolute 10. A definite must buy to everyone who is a fan of survival-horror games. The graphics is incredible, the atmosphere is intense and the sound design give the game that unique plus when it comes to scaring people. Story is way better than the prequel which was also one of the best. Level design is very straight forward but this time around it is filled with variety and thanks toAbsolute 10. A definite must buy to everyone who is a fan of survival-horror games. The graphics is incredible, the atmosphere is intense and the sound design give the game that unique plus when it comes to scaring people. Story is way better than the prequel which was also one of the best. Level design is very straight forward but this time around it is filled with variety and thanks to its multiple difficulty setting the games playtime can be from 8 to 18 hours. Multiplayer is fun but passable compared to the other bigs in the genre. The FACT is: Dead Space 2 is unique game in the survival-horror genre and don't hesitate to pick this one up because in this genre this is the future. Expand
  13. Jan 27, 2011
    This review may be a little bit biased due to the fact that I was a huge fan of the first one. I played through the first one multiple times, getting every achievement and secret possible. And after playing Dead Space 2, I plan on doing it again. Let me start with what I feel should be icing on the cake, which is the multiplayer. Obviously, you should not purchase DS2 just for theThis review may be a little bit biased due to the fact that I was a huge fan of the first one. I played through the first one multiple times, getting every achievement and secret possible. And after playing Dead Space 2, I plan on doing it again. Let me start with what I feel should be icing on the cake, which is the multiplayer. Obviously, you should not purchase DS2 just for the multiplayer, as you will most likely feel a little disappointed for spending so much on an online game that is really not too complex at all. Now, by no means is that saying that the multiplayer is bad, because it's quite the opposite. Being either the humans or necromorphs is extremely addicting (I don't know why), but I will add that I feel the humans are still a little bit overpowered. However, the combat is extremely brutal and intense, and the pace rarely lets up, hardly giving you time to breathe after several enemy pack players just tried to maul you. For me, I think it's great since I loved dismembering necromorphs offline so much. Being the necromorphs is a ton of fun, being able to spawn from just about anywhere to ambush the enemy human players. The level up system is pretty straightforward, with the higher level you get, the more things you unlock, such as new abilities, armor, weapons, or upgrades. The maps in my opinion are pretty decent and get the job done, but a few of them tend to be a bit bland. Since the action is constantly so intense, you hardly have time to notice. Overall, a great addition to the game and I feel that it should be kept for Dead Space 3 as well with a few tweaks. Now, the meat and potatoes, the single player. This is where this game really shines, bringing the survival horror genre a new meaning. From the very beginning of the game, you're immediately thrust into intense sequences and horrific scenes. When you wake up in the straight jacket right in the middle of fray (I won't try and spoil anything), you realize from that moment on just how insane the game is going to be. I feel that this one is scarier than the first one, as I didn't feel the first one was too scary. This one is basically guaranteed to make you jump several times, and the dementia that Isaac faces gets pretty creepy at time. I played the game two hours straight when I picked it up, and the entire time my heart was pulsing. The difficulty, even on normal, is much harder this time around, and I found myself raging a few times at parts that took huge tolls on your supplies (ammo, health, etc.). The pacing of the game is fantastic, letting up every so often to let your heart rate return to normal, before thrusting you right back into frantic battle for survival. The storyline is great, voice acting is awesome, and the graphics are much improved. The lighting is a ton better, putting you through pitch-black rooms very often and changing it up to environments such as apartments or an elementary school (one of my favorite areas). The sound is also improved, ranging from the clanging of metal objects falling, all the way up to the screaming and grunting of lurking necromorphs waiting to pounce of you. The guns are all back as well as some additional firepower for your arsenal. The melee is tremendously improved, which was a huge relief for me, since I felt that the curbstomp from the first one was basically useless later on in the game. Overall, an amazing game that doesn't let any of its flaws outshine its brilliance. If you're a fan of sci-fi, shooters, survival horror, or anything in between, than it would be a travesty for you to not pick up this game. Highly recommended. Expand
  14. Jan 31, 2011
    Dead Space 2 is a perfect sequel to one of my favorite games of all time, (maybe one of THE greatest games of all time). Upped the action, the violence, the story-telling, and the theatrics. This is one of the greatest games EVER. Do not miss it. Survival/Action Horror has never been so amazing.
  15. Feb 6, 2011
    The original Dead Space is a classic one of my favourite games which makes Dead Space 2 even more of a let down that it actually is. It almost feels as if EA said you can make a second one but make it on rails so people don't get lost and copy a few more monsters from left 4 dead. It has lost the whole experience that was Dead Space and is now just a generic on rails space shooter withThe original Dead Space is a classic one of my favourite games which makes Dead Space 2 even more of a let down that it actually is. It almost feels as if EA said you can make a second one but make it on rails so people don't get lost and copy a few more monsters from left 4 dead. It has lost the whole experience that was Dead Space and is now just a generic on rails space shooter with gore. The new Left 4 Dead monsters unbalance the game so now you have one way to play, back into a corner with as much ammo and health as possible and keep shooting, it has lost all the tension and variation in game play that the original had. If this was just another shooter I'd probably give it a 7 but as it is they have ruined the chance to create a great sequel and with cash in crap like Ignition, an on line pass and DLC announced before the games even released a 5 is generous. Expand
  16. Jan 29, 2011
    T.E.N.S.I.O.N ...... wow this game is more tense and horrifying than the first, and that's a tall order. After playing most of the popular horror games from the last 10+ years such as silent hill, resident evil, fear, condemned, etc I'd say that dead space 1&2 fits right in with the greatest horror games of all time. I especially like the level design of DS2, my only issue with DS1 wasT.E.N.S.I.O.N ...... wow this game is more tense and horrifying than the first, and that's a tall order. After playing most of the popular horror games from the last 10+ years such as silent hill, resident evil, fear, condemned, etc I'd say that dead space 1&2 fits right in with the greatest horror games of all time. I especially like the level design of DS2, my only issue with DS1 was that the level design got somewhat repetitive. Every level/chapter in DS1 was similar with the dark corridors and what-not (I'd still give DS1 a 9 or 10 out of 10) but DS2 offers a refreshing variation of lighter levels as well as the original dark, dank hallways and rooms. This time around Isaac is on "The Sprawl", a large space station, and your journey through the sprawl leads you through shopping malls, an elementary school, a creepy religious temple, and many other places. The weapons are great and there are a few new ones, the armor designs are as always, amazing. The HUD (inventory/weapon screen) is one of the most visually stunning, slick, smoothly designed HUD interfaces I've ever seen and it can be used easily and seamlessly. This brings me to my next and final point, the graphics, DS2 looks amazing, the level of detail in everything is spectacular. One wouldn't believe that such a dark, gritty game could look so good but it does. 10/10 Expand
  17. Jan 28, 2011
    Dead Space was pussified. As the developers stated in an interview, the first game was deemed "too scary" for mainstream audience, and they considered that the reason behind the mediocre sales of the masterpiece that is Dead Space 1. In other words, Dead Space 1 was too good to be successful.

Now, what made me love DS1 was exactly that, as a seasoned horror fan, it's very hard to find something to gave me real shivers, be it in movies or games. And DS1 delivered, as no movie or game in recent memory could do - maybe with the exception of Silent Hill 2.

Yes, there were recycled levels, and yes, they ripped off lots of stuff from other games. But, as Picasso reportedly said, the mediocre artist copies, the great artist steals. Critics called DS1 "unoriginal", but that's missing the point completely. It was worthy not because the script, storytelling or game mechanics (despite dismemberment being original). It was worthy for achieving a overwhelmingly macabre feel that no one on cinema, lest gaming industry, today manage to achieve. Dead Space 2 is just not scary. I played it on the level above normal, got killed a lot of times. Still, I couldn't feel that impressing sensation of imminent danger that made DS1 into the game I loved. Some critics talked about the jump from Alien to Aliens, Ridley Scott to David Big Cheese Cameron. So, it's like having your favorite cult movie being re-shot in a generic commercial way by a Hollywood studio - or, more specifically, a Hollywood studio accidentally releasing a masterpiece and "correcting" it later.

Now, DS2 has its merits as a game. Combat is still very satisfying, the script is a lot less generic, with Isaac turning into a person with his own will, not a generic vessel of suffering. It deserves the 7 I'm giving for those merits, and for that I'm excluding my comparison with DS1. Fortunately, it's not easier than DS1, maybe harder. On the down side, it's too linear - I really don't see the point of critics in hailing that as an advantage. Worse still, one of the new monsters, the stalker, caught my attention as a symptom of dumbification - it's supposed to hide at corners to suprise-attack you, but it actually sticks its head from the corners so you can peek it every time before it predictably charging head-on for you to cut his legs. The stalker actually playing peek-a-boo with you - I suppose that's adequate for the public they had in mind.

Maybe it's not the developers' fault or executive meddling, maybe they set the bar too high, or it's just impossible for one to get the same scare twice - see Silent Hill after 2. Still, I'd wait for the price go down a little before acquiring it, not expecting it to be Dead Space, but just a competent monster shooter, a little soulless, but funny still.
  18. Jan 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pro's are actually right for a change, this is a GREAT game. If you like horror games, which I do. However, before I say whats great about it, I feel like I have to point out that this game is not an instant classic because it does have its flaws. But it would be hard to attack the game for these flaws without attacking the conventions of its genre or the limitations of the technology which was used to make it.

Dead Space 2 is still very much a horror game and as such succumbs to the limitations that have been a staple of the genre ever since the early days of the T-Virus. For some reason, developers are still confusing tank-like controls and sneak attacks for tension and suspense. Your characters sprint is a brisk jog at best and your melee attack still consists solely of wildly flailing your arms while grunting. (Sadly the Plasma Saw from Dead Space: Downfall was not featured in this game.) So your defensive measures are still pretty much limited to your ammo reserves. There aren't many new weapons and your combat proceeds very much like the last game. When you enter a long hallway, either zombies will come sprinting at you from the other end or come bursting out of previously locked doors, resulting in the "boo" scare followed by a few moments of panic as you mash on your fire-button to blow the limbs off the monsters until money, ammo, or a health pack bursts from their corpse. When you enter a large open space, you simply walk or run forward until you spring the trap and are ambushed by a swarm of no more than 6 or so enemies. Shoot, run, collect items, repeat.

And while this is no fault of the developers, a much bigger game is promised but unfortunately cannot be delivered on. When looking out a window you see what looks like a frame from Blade Runner of a huge sprawling metropolis but most of the game is you simply spending about an hour running around a huge building or labyrinth before riding a tram or getting blown out a window to your next destination. By the time I popped in the second disc, I was completely lost on what Isaac was trying to accomplish. or where he was supposed to be going. And for your character being an engineer, your engineering is pretty much limited to insert Object A into Slot B to open Door C. Games like Bioshock have experimented with utilizing hacking to have control over your environment, why couldn't this one? While the hacking mini-game in this is a quicker, more convenient method than in Bioshock, its all done purely to open a door or restore power to an elevator. Yawn.

But what I can say is that this game still succeeds leaps and bounds beyond its predecessor and most other games in the genre. This is by far the most linear and cinematic game I have ever played. While the dialogue is still laughable and cliched and the motivations and logic of both protagonists and antagonists questionable in the extreme, the game never once takes you out of the experience of playing it. While most games still rely on chapters and cut scenes to load the next sequence, Dead Space 2 never once breaks for a moment, instead being so much more about the journey and less about the destination. (Which does lead to the final boss battle being surprisingly underwhelming, but more on that in a minute.) The game jettisons the constant backtracking and end-chapter load screens in favor of creating a truly interactive movie experience.

The graphics are amazing, down to every last detail. The zombies are even slimier and more menacing, the blood and viscera more plentiful, and your character's suits don't just get tougher as the game progresses, they vary so much in style and function that no doubt players will be able to find a favorite to call their own. Although the game does still rely on many jump-scares, there are parts that are so nerve-wracking they must be played to be believed. The story doesn't really answer many questions from the last game. There is still no answer as to where the Marker came from or why these Scientology-clones can't seem to learn that their religious artifact is basically a zombie-factory, but this I'm sure is all just for the inevitable Dead Space 3. Which if I can offer any suggestions to EA for the next game, is don't hold back. The outer-space setting offers so many different ways for ripping zombies to pieces that I felt there were things int the game that could have been done but weren't. For the next game, let us take a Plasma Saw to our enemies. Give us an honest-to-goodness shotgun to go all Ash on them. Let us pilot a gunship to rain hell down on a horde of monsters. As long we're ripping off the Alien films, give us a Power Loader to take on a Mega-Brute. Let us use the Solar Beam to burn down another Hive Mind. Hell, introduce another alien race to fight in addition to the zombies. Up the ante and the body count and I'll be back for more...
  19. Jan 29, 2011
    Pretty much an improvement in almost every aspect over the first Dead Space. New weapons to use, better use of kinesis (using the necromorphs own parts against them never gets old), tighter controls, more personal story, considering Issac talks this time around, heavy action (good and bad), more enemy variety, more interesting environments, the sound is top notch, graphics are superiorPretty much an improvement in almost every aspect over the first Dead Space. New weapons to use, better use of kinesis (using the necromorphs own parts against them never gets old), tighter controls, more personal story, considering Issac talks this time around, heavy action (good and bad), more enemy variety, more interesting environments, the sound is top notch, graphics are superior to most games on the market. With that long list in mind, I did, however, say the sequel is better in ALMOST every way. I felt the scares this time around were more cliche'. Where as in the first game, my heart was racing and nothing way even popping out, just the environment itself was terrifying. It seems the scares are just monsters popping out of closets, ceilings, panels etc. I also didn't care for the mission design this time around. I felt the first games missions were designed better, where as 2, it's just A to B over and over and over. However, the Pros FAR FAR out way the Cons, so pick this one up, whether you played the first or not, it's an awesome game and every fan of video games should experience it. Expand
  20. Feb 1, 2011
    Let me start out by saying that i was not even a horror fanatic,until one day lol i was bored and look around some cheap games until i found dead space (1),and thought ehh why the F not XD.So anyway i really liked the first one so much,that i couldn't wait for the second and its a classic.Nothing much has changed from the first game apart from,impaling necromorphs,new weapons,newLet me start out by saying that i was not even a horror fanatic,until one day lol i was bored and look around some cheap games until i found dead space (1),and thought ehh why the F not XD.So anyway i really liked the first one so much,that i couldn't wait for the second and its a classic.Nothing much has changed from the first game apart from,impaling necromorphs,new weapons,new necromorphs,and new areas,but its still fun as hell.The story is pretty solid & there's also multiplayer when you've done the campaign,the multiplayer is not my cup of tea but if you like it hey that's just another bonus.I personally would give this game a 9.5,because nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement.But since i can't ill give it ahh Expand
  21. Jan 27, 2011
    Wow. improves in every way from the first. Visceral games definitely studied how to scare a person, because as much as an alarm clock going off in the game will send your behind up in the air and coming back down.
  22. Jan 27, 2011
    Being a massive fan of Dead Space 1, I was excited for dead Space 2, and I can easily say I wasn't disappointed. The single player was amazing, intense and action from the beginning, while being horrifying at the same time. the pacing was brilliant, keeping the game flowing at all times with no major stops and little down time, flowing from one fight for survival to the nest. TheBeing a massive fan of Dead Space 1, I was excited for dead Space 2, and I can easily say I wasn't disappointed. The single player was amazing, intense and action from the beginning, while being horrifying at the same time. the pacing was brilliant, keeping the game flowing at all times with no major stops and little down time, flowing from one fight for survival to the nest. The difficulty was much higher in the sequel, something that truly defines Dead Space 2 as survival horror. You always feel on edge, outnumbered and running low on supplies, always afraid of what's around the corner. The combination of visuals and sound create a tense atmosphere, keeping your heart pounding the whole way through. I found the story to be amazing, with twists and turns I didn't expect, and an ending that is simply amazing. On these merits alone, Dead Space 2 is a 10, But it's multiplayer just adds to it. While not immensely deep, I find it to be fun and addicting. Teamwork is essential and the action is unrelenting. A great add on to an already incredible game. I now look forward to my many re-plays, because the single player is just that good. If you haven't got this game yet, go out and get it, and you will not regret it. Expand
  23. Jan 28, 2011
    a great game, and a great step forward in the series, though the linearity is not doing the game any good. i really missed the bioshock-like immersion and exploration of the first game, which this city could have offered on an even bigger scale. if everything keeps going in this direction, soon we're gonna end up with an other shooter series coming out with a 5-hour game every year. ia great game, and a great step forward in the series, though the linearity is not doing the game any good. i really missed the bioshock-like immersion and exploration of the first game, which this city could have offered on an even bigger scale. if everything keeps going in this direction, soon we're gonna end up with an other shooter series coming out with a 5-hour game every year. i would really hate to see dead space succumb to that Expand
  24. Jan 28, 2011
    Dead Space 2 rocks! The lighting, visual effects, sound design and gameplay are all top notch! This game sets new standards in graphics quality. A must have for any sci-fi / horror fan.
  25. Jan 29, 2011
    Having spent a fair amount of time strolling precariously through the narrow hallways and winding corridors of the USG Ishimura, I was well-prepared for Dead Space 2. Or so I thought.

During the very first chapter I was put through my paces, and my heart rate was greatly elevated by the constant threat of the Necromorphs. It is safe to say I was not SCARED by the events, but they certainly got my adrenaline pumping. Dead Space to me has never been truly scary, but has focused more on the quick thrills of the jumpy appearances of the Necromorphs and their occasional screams which can be heard echoing through the Ishimura. However, in Dead Space 2 I found that Visceral games had avoided these cheap thrills to an extent, and tried to focus more on atmosphere. The end result was a truly spectacular game.

Unlike in the first game, I was genuinely scared in at least two scenarios, and was worried about continuing. The first encounter with the new enemies known as 'Stalkers' was terrifying, until I could actually see the enemies of course. That brief moment in the dimly lit room just before they attacked sent chills down my spine. Not nearly as much, however, as in Chapter 10. The first few minutes of that chapter shook me to my core. I shall say no more on the subject. With many small plot twists thrown in, some being truly unpredictable, Dead Space 2 will keep almost any story lover occupied for a good seven to eight hours on the 'Normal' difficulty.

The graphics are stunning to say the least, and the detail put into each character is amazing. It may not be the best game in the world in terms of graphical content, but it is still very high on the imaginary list. The voice acting in Dead Space 2 was well-done, with a great choice of voice actors and a very convincing script. Additionally, ambient noises and the unnatural screams of the Necromorphs aided in creating a powerful atmosphere. Gameplay was very smooth and felt comfortable, constantly keeping the player engaged and thinking ahead in terms of ammo conservation and weapon choices - although I never really found myself out of my depth with just the Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle. Fully upgraded, of course. There were some moments which felt extremely unfair, and I struggled to pull through in many of the later encounters in the game. There are moments when Dead Space 2 will throw an incredibly large amount of enemies at you in small but very quick waves, and a lack of ammo here will lead to your downfall. I struggle to think how I will get past them on Zealot or Hardcore mode. It is these very unfair fights which slightly tarnish the otherwise spotless game.

Moving onto multiplayer, I can safely say I am impressed. I had my doubts about multiplayer working, and felt Dead Space should always remain a single player game. Visceral Games somehow managed to pull it off, though. Multiplayer is very action-packed and fast-paced, and keeps both sides firmly on their toes. The multiplayer is exceptionally well-balanced, and is only flawed in a lack of the Necromorph control scheme, and the occasional bug where players will pick up an objective and be unable to progress in the match. Despite these issues, multiplayer is still a strong selling point for Dead Space 2, and just adds that little extra longevity which Dead Space 1 lacked somewhat. Don't get me wrong, Dead Space 1 was fantastic, just a little bland after three playthroughs.

Overall I wish to give Dead Space 2 a 9.5/10, but 10/10 is the closest to that I can manage here. A superb game with outstanding graphics and a brilliant story mode, backed up with a fun multiplayer gametype. Dead Space 2 is an absolute must-buy.
  26. Jan 30, 2011
    Have been playing Single Player mode solid. It is THAT addictive I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet! But I suspect it won't disappoint me. 10/10.
  27. Jan 31, 2011
    An overall better game than its predecessor, which was already a very good game. May get a little tired of being told to "go do this and then do that" almost all the time, and it might not be as scary, but it has its jumpy moments. The multiplayer addition is a fun little twist to such a game, it reminds a tiny bit of Left 4 Dead, but hat's no problem at all. The minus is that they couldAn overall better game than its predecessor, which was already a very good game. May get a little tired of being told to "go do this and then do that" almost all the time, and it might not be as scary, but it has its jumpy moments. The multiplayer addition is a fun little twist to such a game, it reminds a tiny bit of Left 4 Dead, but hat's no problem at all. The minus is that they could have added a few other modes as well so it doesn't get boring after a few hours. It has top-notch graphics, looking outside the window on The Sprawl is a beautiful view, and watching all the gore everywhere gives a few creeps. Getting more personal with Isaac Clarke and varied and new additions to enemies and weapons are very welcome. Considering multiplayer or not, I'd give it a 9.4 if possible. Expand
  28. Jan 31, 2011
    To keep this review short: play this game. The story, the characters, the weapons, and the overall experience is something that only comes once every couple of years. The whole game had me on the edge of my seat and you'd be missing out on a real gem if you pass this up. Great job Visceral Games!
  29. Feb 2, 2011
    DeadSpace was the only game i have ever said "that was worth $60 bucks!!! and was to me the best game i ever played! its been a long wait for DeadSpace2 and dose it live up to the first one?
    and i know the answer is going to hit a few buttons but..... not evon kinda sorda... Deadspace2 looks awesome! it's just beautifull! and the sound is great! But the story is boring and the "plot twist" are very predictable or just not not exciting... all leading up to a fail final boss and a boring ending. And when it comes to fear its just not as horrifying as the first one witch was a huge let down :/
    i really wish it was more scary, and had a more interesting story.....
    and if the DeadSpace team is reading this! Please Please Please make the DLC different suits and not just recolored version of the same suits please D:
  30. Feb 18, 2011
    A clear example of game makers listening to fan feedback and giving them what they want. DS2 still has everything that made the original a spine chilling masterpiece but adds to it. DS2 has more variety in the gameplay and is a bigger more epic experience. The nerve shredding survival horror now blends with breathless action set pieces that wouldn't look out of place in a HollywoodA clear example of game makers listening to fan feedback and giving them what they want. DS2 still has everything that made the original a spine chilling masterpiece but adds to it. DS2 has more variety in the gameplay and is a bigger more epic experience. The nerve shredding survival horror now blends with breathless action set pieces that wouldn't look out of place in a Hollywood blockbuster. Fully cements Dead Spaces position as this generations survival horror king! Expand
  31. Mar 15, 2011
    3) Where are the cool characters you meet and love but don't trust at all?
    7) The new aliens don't really do anything for me...enough said.

2) It's Dead Space. Enough said...
    3) Hard Core mode looks like I'll never ever beat it...
    4) Graphics were really really good.
    5) Hey, at least they released a sequel

1. May 24, 2011
    The transition between CGI and gameplay delivers a great horror atmosphere. Isaac Clarke's got personality and we are only missing some bigger bossfights.
  2. Mar 24, 2011
    With this sequel, Visceral Games has masterfully expanded on the first Dead Space. They've revved up the series with tougher guns, a bigger setting, and online multiplayer, but kept the spirit and, most importantly, the scares of the original in tact.
  3. Mar 23, 2011
    I was expecting Dead Space 2 to be a great game, but it exceeded my expectations with beautiful, creative environments and a large array of both enemies and weapons with which to kill them.