5.1

1. Mar 12, 2013
    $10 for about an hour's worth of content? screw you visceral i spent $10 on bioshock 2's minerva's den and got a whole new 6 hour single player campaign. i spent $10 on red dead redemption's undead nightmare and got a whole new 8 hour single player campaign. i spent $10 on dead space 3's awakened and got... 1.5 hour expansion that should have been included with the game for free in the first place. what a joke. Expand
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    Overall, it's a very good DLC but a bit too short. It took me and a partner 1 hour and a half to complete it. This DLC by far has the creep factor that was missing in the original game. It is three chapters long and make sure to complete the game first before purchasing this DLC! The plot is engaging and has a twist towards the end! If you have 10 dollars to spare, definitely check it out!
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Awakened is Visceral's latest story DLC for Dead Space 3, which can be played both solo or with a Co-op partner. It picks up where the game ended, so don't play this DLC if you haven't yet beaten DS3. Awakened spans 3 chapters, clocking in around 2 hours. There’s collectibles to find much like in the base game, new enemies to fight and a twist ending you don‘t want to miss! It’s well paced, engaging, and truly scary unlike the original game. This DLC isn’t perfect, though. It‘s a really short and costly piece of DLC, and you find yourself trekking through locations you have already visited, but if you’ve beaten DS3 and want more, then maybe Awakened is for you. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a huge let down indeed. They expect you to pay $10 to continue a story that should have ended at the end of the original 2 disc set, only to have you trudge through an hour and a half of mildly off-setting jump scares. There is very little new content, you battle a few "new" enemies re-incarnated from Dead Space 2 as they throw +3 upgrade circuits at you that you barely have any time apply and use at all. Almost all of the areas that you travel through are from the original game with a new orange tint that somehow is supposed to make it terrifying. If you're a hardcore Dead Space fan that really needs to know the "end" after the end, you'll still be disappointed. Shame on you Visceral, shame on you. Expand
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    This DLC is NOT worth the 10 dollars you will spend on it. Wait until it goes on sale. The DLC took me about an hour to complete, and it wasn't even an hour's worth of fun entertainment. The DLC takes you to the same locations you've already seen in Dead Space 3 with a few new decorations, but nothing substantial. You literally explore the same hallways you've seen in DS 3, and there aren't a lot of new enemy types or much variety to warrant a full purchase of this DLC. The new enemies you face in Awakened are frustrating beyond belief. At certain points in the game, the player experiences these psychotic delusions that terribly distort the screen, all the while allowing enemies to spawn right behind your back, which makes them an incredible nuisance to deal with. It's not even the fun sort of challenge that's entertaining to overcome; it's the kind that makes you throw your controller away in anger, because of the DLC's poor gameplay decisions. I don't typically write reviews for games, but I was pretty turned off at Awakened's lack of new content and frustrating level design. If I can save one person from spending $10 dollars on this DLC, then I will have done my job. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2013
    I usually try to steer away from DLC. Mainly because more often than not, it should be included with the main game. However, I felt compelled to give DS3:A a go. I will definitely say one thing, it's intense! Much more so that the main game. If you liked DS3, I would have to say this will probably be 10 bucks (same price as a movie) worth spending. +Scary!
    +Intense
    +Adds to the story

-Short (about 2 hours if played solo)
    -10 buck for said content is a bit steep
    +/- Again, short...but with collectibles. you'll have reasons to play more than once.
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    The content is great don't get me wrong, but the dlc is just too short for my taste it only takes 1 hour give or take to complete and most definetly wont justify the price tag of 800 microsoft points, it should have been free dlc because it adds more to the ending.
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    The credits almost seem longer than the DLC itself, and the time it took to download the DLC is definitely longer than the amount of game play. I have been looking forward to this DLC since I beat the game and I am extremely let down. My jaw dropped when i reached the end of the DLC campaign, not because it was such a spectacular ending, but because i didn't believe it was over so quick. I played for only about an hour and it was all over. The story starts off strong and takes place where the original game left off, but doesn't carry on much more after that. There are no new guns, mods, or weapon parts included with the DLC as they can all be acquired in the original game. There aren't any new suits or special unlocks at all. The only new things in this add on are a few text logs, and maybe 3 or 4 new enemies at most. Even the places you go are exactly the same as the original game with a few touch ups done. If this DLC was priced at 5 dollars it may be worth it but 10 is far too steep for such a shallow expansion. You won't be missing much if you skip this DLC and i recommend just watching the game play on the Internet instead of wasting your money on it. Visceral and EA really pulled the wool over our eyes on this one and made it sound greater than it would be. Hopefully they will make up for it in the future with a lengthier DLC and new content. Expand
  9. Apr 18, 2013
    Very short for 10 bucks. While the content was pretty good, it even brought back the old hallucinations from the first two games that made those two very scary, it was just way too short. There was very little here and, not knowing that this was going to be as short as it was, I do feel like I was scammed out of my money. This was worth, at most, 5 bucks but, since this is EA we are talking about, they go the extra mile to screw the consumer over and over again. After something like this, I might start believing in those reports that DS 4 was cancelled. Cause if it's anything like DS 3 and this DLC, it'll be the next Resident Evil 6 of the gaming world. Expand
  10. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dead Space 3's story and conclusion is proportionate to its gameplay. You put in some whiteknuckle, 16-20 hours-long gaming and get a hell of ride. AKA, bang for your buck. Not only does Awkened's gameplay fall pathetically short, it delivers a major faux pas: it piles on too much at the end, plot-wise. it confirms that the story basically means nothing. no matter the efforts of the protagonist, nothing is ever resolved. The opposite in fact. Things are far worse.

To me, this is the development team grinning with satisfaction over how they canoodled their way into extending their employment. The plot needs to make sense. There needs to more creative writing in gaming and after failures like gears of War 3, Assassin's Creed 3. The dialog relationship between carver and clarke is great, but the plot needs to slow down and look at itself or the dead Space franchise is going to end up doing the same campy mistakes GOW and AC did--rely on the gospel of second rate books.

Awakened introduced what could have been a much cooler scenario if things had been diligently cared for. If the suspense was stretched out The cult leader is a fantastic idea for a nemesis, reminiscent of Silent Hill's Pyramidhead. I was really looking forward to encounters with this invincible baddy in tight spaces, but it didn't go that way.

Isaac's hallucinations are an excellent variation on the "jump out at you from air ducts" strategy.

All in all, this felt like a test run. Not a bona fide DLC. I'm grossly disappointed in the cost of this, the lack of endurance the team put into this, and the over-the-top conclusion which felt improportionate to the length of gameplay. If you're a fan of the series, you'll get this no matter what anyone says. I recommend you just read about it and save your money.
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    While it can be argued(and will) that this DLC is poor due to the longevity of it, it cannot be stressed enough that this still is quite an intriguing add on. The story is good, as well as, the Carver and Isaac dynamic is much more compelling. The question is then asked whether this content is worth the money. It unfortunately is not for anything other then a die hard fan(yours truly included). It is a fantastic way to bridge out after the game, but I feel Dead Space 3 ended on such a stellar note, that there wasn't a compelling reason to continue unless it was more substantial. As it stands this DLC is still good, but the abrupt end as well as cliffhanger also goes out of its way to enthrall as well as irritate its fans. Expand
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    You shouldn't be surprised at being short changed with a 1 hour DLC. Look at the main game and ask yourself how lazy the developers were in adopting the cookie cutter approach to rooms corridors etc. I don't know how many times I had to stop and check that I wasn't revisiting the same places. They were also lazy with spelling (Personell, Ordinance) so a cheap fix DLC is not a shock.
  13. Apr 14, 2013
    As much as I want to like this, I really can't. Dead Space 3 Awakened is, first and most importantly, way too short and not with the money. I spent $10 for 1 hour and 10 minutes of gameplay and it doesn't really feel like it was worth it. There was more cryptic parts of Issac's images but they were just The Moon you destroyed. I like the whole "cultist leader" idea, that was pretty cool. They give you some circuit upgrades so thats also cool. The thing that shakes me the most is the ending. nothing is really explained in the ending and it just feels mixed and odd and it all feels like a scam to make you buy the possible sequel to the series. I love Dead Space to tears, but this is just something I cannot handle. It really isn't worth buying Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2013
    Not happy.

Don't get me wrong, this dlc had some nice jump scares and a cool boss, but only 2 hours? Really?
    I enjoyed Dead Space 3, but some aspects of it just felt lazy. This DLC further proves EA needs massive internal restructuring. Not only does this DLC fall short of the franchise, it's just short in general. It's not worth $10 at all. In fact, $10 for this is a completely
    joke. So why did I buy it anyways? I like my games to have a real ending.

DLC should be used to expand a game and add new content that fans want. It shouldn't be used to bully us into paying up for a genuine ending to a game we already bought. Do yourself a favor and watch this dlc on youtube. It will only take half and hour to watch and you won't be falling for EA's ploy to grab more
  15. Mar 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dead Space 3: Awakened may be lacking in content, but it brings back a classic Dead Space vibe.
    ---
    Awakened takes place right after the conclusion of Dead Space 3, and reveals the fate of Isaac Clarke & John Carver whom are very much alive after their ordeal in the vanilla game. After bringing down the moon, the two friends must find a way off of the now devastated Tau Volantis.

Along the way, they start hallucinating pretty badly and start seeing things that aren't really there. Fans will be happy to see Isaac suffers from these again after having it "cured" during the events of Dead Space 2. Sadly, the DLC doesn't reveal how he's seeing these things again, but along the way tensions rise between both Isaac and Carver.

They soon find out that after Danik died in the story of Dead Space 3, a new leader has emerged to form a Unitologist Cult, and he's essentially a mutilated man covered in what seems to be Necromorph limbs. He's terrifying to look at, and to encounter. He appears mainly in hallucination scenes and has this weird "phasing" walk where he'll appear for a mere moment, and vanish again. Very similar to Alma from the FEAR series and it captures horror perfectly. This guy is downright terrifying, and it made everything "uneasy". Not to mention he can Stasis you which can be a pretty bad thing when his followers, or Necromorphs are around.

Eventually, you'll leave Tau Volantis and have to head back to the Terra Nova ship from the Dead Space 3 campaign and attempt to repair the ship, and head back to Earth to warn the planet of an oncoming attack from other Moons because it turns out that they know where Earth is after-all which essentially makes the entirety of Dead Space 3 pointless, and you'll eventually come to find out that Awakened is the "true" ending for Dead Space 3, and opens up the possibility of a Dead Space 4 (which from the ending I'd love to see that happen).

The story doesn't make much sense in Awakened, and it doesn't really explain anything, thus providing a handful of plot-holes. How did Isaac & Carver survive falling to Tau Volantis, and having the Moon hit the planet as well? The DLC doesn't reveal that, and Isaac keeps bringing up "Maybe the Aliens saved us" and to me that just seems stupid. Maybe Visceral Games will reveal how they survived in future DLC, or in the next installment of Dead Space (if it gets developed). That, and how this "Heretic" guy was so quick to take over the lead of the Unitologist's, unless he was already second in command and went nuts just like everyone else from when the Moons broadcasted their arrival. But hey, that's just me speculating. They really don't reveal anything, other than the Moons are coming, and they're going to Earth.

Aside from the silly plot, this DLC feels great and brings back a classic Dead Space experience like I remembered having while playing the first game in the franchise. It's creepy, and the hallucinations work perfectly this time around. Warping your screen, showing dead friends, and even in one instance pitting you against your friend, or so you think. Really adds a new layer to the co-op, and I really dig that and still proves that co-op works perfectly in Dead Space.

The new enemies are really great too. We see some Necromorphs that we haven't seen since Dead Space 2, which is the Pack. Which are essentially children-like Necromorphs that swarm you, and jump around like crazy. I really missed these guys, and seeing them again brought back memories from my favorite Dead Space game. Even the human enemies are perfect this time around, they don't carry and fire-arms (thank-god) but instead have had their arms, or hands cut off and replaced with either Necromorph limbs, or blades, I couldn't really tell because I was too busy trying to kill them. Really added a great new element because you're fighting psychotic, cultists who want nothing more than to chop you up into tiny bits. They creeped me out.

The environments are also bang-on as well. Aside from more blizzard-like and hard to see conditions on Tau Volantis, we get a completely redesigned Terra Nova which has been taken over by said cultists, and it really shows. Crucified Necromorphs & humans cover the hallways, with only candles decorating the hallways. They essentially took the ship, and turned into a Unitologist Church but in a more extreme sense. You feel completely uneasy, and helpless moving through these tight, narrow hallways and I expected all of the crucified, and hanging corpses to leap off the wall and attack me. Environmentally, this DLC blew my socks off. Nailed the horror aspect right on the head.

So, in essence Awakened brought back a classic Dead Space experience that any Dead Space fan should enjoy. It adds new layers to the co-op, adds new achievements, brings out some crazy, and disturbing environments and most of all it's pretty damn scary. The only downside is that you'll finish it in about 90 minutes 2 hours, which is steep.
  16. Jun 3, 2013
    While short, this was as intense and fun DLC for Dead Space 3. It amps up the gore, language and cultist elements to another level. If you though the main game was creepy, this is even worse (which is good). Not sure I'd say it's worth $10, but it's a nice addition to a great game.
  17. Nov 14, 2013
    The game is about 2 hours long and continues the main storyline which is a plus! I enjoyed it although it did feel a little short but still 10 bucks wasn’t a bad deal. It also seems to set the stage for a Dead Space 4. Get the DLC its extra for those wanting to know the climax.

1. May 9, 2013
    It's borderline slapstick at times. [June 2013, p.75]
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    All of the shooting and stomping and crafting lead Awakened toward a conclusion that left me wanting more, so much so that the original game's ending seems superfluous in hindsight. There's a steady, rhythmic approach to the battles in Awakened that can become repetitive, but they succeed in paving the way for even more future fights.
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    Rather than resolving what came before it, Awakened simply shrugs its shoulders for a couple hours before throwing another cliff-hanger ending your way. Sure, it still plays perfectly well, with plenty of intense dismemberment and a pleasingly varied selection of necromorph enemies to fend off.