6.3

1. Apr 25, 2013
    The tale of the engineer Clark has been long overdue for completion and I am glad that I was able to jump on the train for this release right out the gate. The familiar controls and graphics are easy enough to get connected to once more and the addition of a Co-op mode was one of my best draws for this game.

It was also refreshing to see that items perceived by one player did not show
    up for the other. Which meant that both players got allotted items for them and them alone. While the main villain is incredibly dense and albeit extremely stupid for a scientist I find myself easily getting behind Isac in the effort of making him die. Expand
  2. Aug 30, 2014
    Seriously, what the hell happened to this series? Dead Space 1 was fresh, original, and still one of the best games of the generations. DS2 took the bigger-better-more approach, but in the end it was still a good game, even if it felt too linear and action-focused for me. But this, this is just a joke. It hurts me to see that a game with this good graphics is just dumbed down to a shooter. And not even a good one. The controls are way too clumsy for the action, which is OK for a horror game, but this is not one anymore. The story is so cheesy, that I had to skip all the cutscenes in order to not hurt my brain. I can't even describe the disappointment towards f*cking up something that I once loved like this. From what I've read, the game was a commercial failure, so I'm happy for that, but I still don't think that EA's self-proclaimed super producers learnt anything from this, so they will keep trying to make the same game over and over again, while putting it in a different box every time. Expand
  3. May 1, 2013
    With Dead Space and Dead Space 2 being some of my favorite games of all time, I desperately wanted to like Dead Space 3, and for the most part, I did. The gameplay, visuals and sound design are as solid as ever, and at the very least it's great to be back in the DS universe again. However, DS3 has some serious issues, and at the end of the day, one can't help but feel like the series has severely derailed itself as of this current installment for a few big reasons.
    The biggest problem that DS3 has given itself is that it simply isn't scary. There are a couple of parts that start to hint at the classic DS atmosphere, but these moments are brief and quickly over-shadowed by action sequences. Now, in all fairness, I don't think DS was ever truly a survival-horror franchise in that it has always been pretty action-oriented, but seriously, DS3 is almost never scary. I think all of the subsequent flaws play into this lack of scariness in one way or another.
    This might be seen as a nitpick, but by the end of the game this was seriously bugging me: all of the character models for any given enemy type in any given location are EXACTLY THE SAME. The previous DS games had a good variety of character models for the slasher necromorphs, but seriously, every single slasher you run into on the old space stations and ships is IDENTICAL to the last one. The same goes for the slashers down on the ice planet as well. This may seem minor, but it gets really old feeling like you're fighting the exact same alien over and over again for three hours. Of course there are the twitcher slashers and the lurkers and pukers and whatnot, but the generic enemy type that you see for the majority of the game has maybe three different models.
    The first DS did a good job of making each stage of the Ishimura feel distinct, even though 95% of the game took place on that ship. DS3's level design feels incredibly repetitive, even though the first third of the game takes place on space ships and the second two thirds takes place on the Tau Volantis. I felt like the developers were trying to cover this up by adding useless gimmicks like climbing ladders into the mix. I think the problem is that the environments of DS3 feel less lived-in than previous games in the series. I was very excited to learn that there were multiple space ships to explore this time around only to find that they all look exactly the same on the inside. As for the other environment in the game…
    Tau Volantis just isn't very interesting, and you spend the majority of the game there. For one thing, it's all ridiculously derivative of the Lost Planet series, only there isn't the same sense of epic scale. An ice planet just doesn't lend itself to horror like the corridors of a space-ship do, and the developers seem to know this because the interior sections of Tau Volantis are obviously trying to emulate the feel of DS corridors and environments, except they still suffer from the repetitive designs that the REAL space environments already suffer from.
    One final note (and there are many more but I have 5000 characters to work with here) is that the game has a very imbalanced sense of difficulty. In many ways the game is far too easy. I never ONCE came close to running out of ammo or health (I played through the whole campaign on hard) and the crafting system is far too forgiving. In other instances the game can be difficult, but not in the right ways. DS3 has a terrible habit of just throwing a million enemies at you at a time. The fights often stop being fun and move into the zone of ridiculous tedium, and this is not helped by your never-ending stream of ammo and health packs. You won't die much, but you will be forced into far too many fights that just don't seem to end.
    After all of this, one realizes that Dead Space 3 is just boring. I didn't even talk about the clumsy writing or the laughably ridiculous final boss fight, but the repetitive enemies, locations and encounters all add up to a very sleepy, unambitious tone. The game is a little scary here, a little action-y there, but there's nothing really bold about it. It's very clear that EA has finally got its hooks firmly planted in the franchise, which is now bleeding out from trying to cut itself up into enough bit-sized pieces to not offend anyone too much. The game can still be enjoyed, but in the end, you might as well just play through the first two games again because they surpass this misstep of a sequel in every single regard.
  4. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By now you probably know that Dead Space 3 isn't a survival horror game like its predecessors, but rather a third person action shooter. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if it's done well, unfortunately in Dead Space 3 it is a complete failure. Most of the combat (and there is a lot of it) follows this pattern:

-Isaac enters a small, cramped room.
    -Room gets locked down.
    -Wave of necromorphs spews out of vents.
    -Another wave of necromorphs.
    -Room opens up.
    -Move on to next room, repeat.

The strategic dismemberment that was so enjoyable in the first Dead Space game is completely gone. Each of these waves has so many enemies charging at you so fast, that you will repeatedly end up backed into a corner while you mindlessly empty clip after clip into an undifferentiated mass of arms and legs and tentacles. Impalement is also of little use, since there is no time to stop shooting at the dozens of enemies who are mobbing you, and if your telekinesis picks up the wrong object from the gigantic pile of limbs and items, then you're as good as dead.

Not all the combat is atrocious. The end boss is one of the most epic I've ever seen, and there's another memorable boss fight around the middle. Unfortunately most of the boss fights will be against the Snow Beast, who seems to have no shortage of respawning tentacles. Perhaps the combat is more enjoyable in co-op, since the game was clearly not designed around solo gameplay, but I don't know. Both of the co-op partners I found in message boards have flaked out. That's another thing that is extremely frustrating about this game; if it was designed to be played by two people on two separate consoles, why does it include no tools for finding a co-op partner?

The game has other flaws, such as generic, one-dimensional characters; formulaic dialogue; a clunky weapon-crafting system; and an in-your-face microtransaction system. The game also froze my XBOX 360 a few times. As extremely annoying as these things are, they are small potatoes compared to the epically bad and frustrating combat I've already mentioned. I could overlook these other flaws if I actually enjoyed playing the game, but the bottom line is that the combat is so pointlessly long and repetitive that it ultimately turns Dead Space 3 into a game that is just simply not fun to play.
  5. Feb 13, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was fun and engaging and just a bit scary when it was supposed to be. The action was faster and fluid. The environments were beautiful and the effects well done.
  6. Feb 16, 2013
    Great game. Better than the 7/10 some people are giving it.
    Found this to be a great addition to my co-op games which is my preference with great graphics and exceptional sound. Die hard fans probably wont like the co-op as it definitely takes the scare out of the game but for a shooter excellent. Found the making up guns fun and always having to go back to a bench and changing my new gun
    after finding my new colossus to be a squib. Give it a try as its miles ahead of Aliens colonial marines which is dire. Expand
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    they killed it. dead space a great game its a bit scary. dead space 2 awesome game. dead space 3 lost planet. i mean really i have only 1 question: why? ps. why do you kill humans its not cod its dead space a zombie game+ its really boring and lazy writing
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    First of all this game is not a 10, 9, or 8. But it is definitely not a 0, either. After finishing Chapter 11 today, the game is definitely the worst in the Dead Space Trilogy. However, with that being said, it is still a satisfying game, albeit 'actiony'. Worth a play for fans, but maybe for a cheaper price. I cruised half-way through the game in a morning and afternoon session. Solid 7 score is what this game honestly deserves. Expand
  9. Feb 5, 2013
    Is it better than dead space 1 or 2 hell no but is it a bad game hell no. Honestly people are over reacting so much with these low scores the game is great fun and just as good as the first 2.
  10. Feb 13, 2013
    Best Dead Space to date!! Sure its not the survival horror that i have know to love.. BUT the CRAFTING and the Torque bars to unlock certain doors, the Co-Op, the ability to replay levels to 100% everything, the extra new game modes as well!! Wish it would be scarier but overall im 100% happy with the Game its self.. The Micro Transactions are Pathetic.. But that is EA for ya... Milking their customers.. But overall i love it!! Expand
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is a disappointment to anyone who played and enjoyed the first two games in the series. There are several reasons why that I will explain in this review. Within the first 30 seconds of the actual game, after a well-done and interesting explanation of the story so far, Isaac Clarke (the protagonist of the first two games) is being manhandled by soldiers who have escaped from every other modern military shooter (but with the cool LED suits this game is known for) and have tasked this man with going to recover his ex-girlfriend that we overheard breaking up with him over voicemail. From there, the game never lets up in letting you down. The tension of having too little ammunition is gone. Say hello to universal ammo clips! (Who got their **** Mass Effect systems in my Dead Space? EA, the corporate embodiment of missing the point and hegemony, that's who, silly! More on that later.) Remember the body horror of seeing former human beings transformed into twisted masses of pulsating yellow flesh that you must dismember in the bloody, poorly-lit corridors of a spaceship-turned-tomb in the vacuum of space to really punch home the isolation? That's gone too! You'll start the game in a wide open environment where it seems a Church of Unitology (described in the game as a dangerous cult, like Scientology but with actual proof, however misguided, of their belief system) has somehow overrun the entire Earthgov so you now get to fight faceless soldiers! You've never experienced banality like THIS in a Dead Space game! Now, you will actually fight necromorphs because somehow they built a Marker the size of a skyscraper without the government or anyone else noticing, but they are pushed towards you in a version of the earlier games' "wave of enemies" sequences that never really let up, so they get old, well, the second time you do one and realize that this is the game from now on. Now that Unitology actually rivals Earthgov in reach and power, **** you might as well play Gears of War because that is now the story: aliens vs. Humans. The new crafting system is... serviceable. Honestly. Getting new weapon blueprints and just making **** up is actually mildly enjoyable. To offset that good thing, there are microtransactions that are **** abominations (you can pay for a faster little robot to gather stuff for you. You literally pay EA to do something faster than you would in the game normally. If this were competitive that's blatant pay-to-win **** but that has little to do with the direction of the game, that's just EA ****ting all over a good thing because they are not at the forefront of anything interesting, and if they are it's because they accidentally left a developer to their own devices for a little too long. Like this franchise. Almost nothing interesting was revealed in these last few paragraphs, but the complaints that I have are pretty much what appears throughout the game. Sadly, this evolution is EAs forte though. Have an interesting hit and then completely misunderstand that the reason it was a hit was because it was unique in its style, tone, content, whatever and thinking that if only there was a more streamlined (generic), polished (shiny-looking), interesting (action movie) way to tell that story, it would be great. No, EA, that works for Madden (any sports games really) and Battlefield fine because neither of those franchises have stories. That was not the case of Dead Space... but it is now. So congrats on your shiny, new corpse. You **** it to death with your mediocrity. Expand
  12. Feb 18, 2013
    i was a big fan of Dead Space 1 and 2 but this one is just boring. You can customize the weapons which is kind of fun but it is a hassle to get the necessary resources and then they offer to sell you whatever you need if you give them real money. Give me a break! The real world and real money shouldn't intrude into my video game experience. E.A makes some good games but they are greedy. They are too focused on making money with D.L.Cs and other crap. Also it used to be a good horror game but is now just an average third person shooter game. Expand
  13. Feb 24, 2013
    Don't let some negative reviews fool you. This is a great game. It has enough horror elements to still keep the Dead Space feel to it, but has enough changes to keep from feeling like more of the same. The co-op alone makes this game worth a purchase. There's also a ton a re-playability with the different difficulty levels, and the new awesome gun creations. The only negative thing about this is game is the final hour or so. It was so tedious and boring that it gets to the point where you keep saying to yourself "I really wish this game would just end already". That's never a good thing and by the time the story ends you really just don't care anymore. This last portion of the game was enough to lower my score from almost a 10 to more like an 8.5 or so. Yeah, the last hour is that bad. I rounded up my rating to a 9 because a lot of these lower scores are just not fair to the game. It's just more people jumping on the current gaming bandwagon, which is to hate games that make changes from their originals and cry that the developers "aren't being true to their loyal fans".

This game is definitely worth checking out, and is an early game of the year contender for 2013.
  14. Mar 31, 2013
    The Dead Space series is one of the best survival horror games of all time. Dead Space 3 does a lot to separate its self from that, but that doesn't mean it's all bad. So lets start with the positives. The combat that was present in the other Dead Space games is back but a lot faster and fluid. The Creepy atmosphere is also back and is better then ever. Some new creatures that add more to the creepiness of the game. Now the negatives. The crafting system is not a fun, or rewarding as the store credit system present In the first games. The over the top action sequences are used to much, and to add to that the stupid QuickTime events aren't necessary at all. In all Dead Space 3 is the Worst of the series, but that doesn't make it a bad game at all. Expand
  15. Aug 17, 2014
    This game was such a huge disappointment... The crappy crafting system, the retarded enemy ai, the predictable "take the long way" situations, fetch quests similar to those in a repetitive and boring mmo in a single player "horror" story. The replacement of bad-ass Ellie to "damsel in distress can't do sh*t myself anymore" version of Ellie. Plot holes, the plot itself, micro-transactions to play a single-player game.

Everything adds up to a huge 1, 1 it gets for graphics, but would rather look at my computers wallpaper background of the Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 2 for 9 hours than play this **** anymore. Why not loop big buck bunny on repeat for 9 hours, still a better story than this crap.
  16. Feb 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll start off by stating probably the only positive thing about this game: the graphics are stunning and the environments appropriately desolate and grimy. Having said that, this is one of the most dissappointing follow-ups to one of my favorite games of all time. Pretty much everything in this is a step in the wrong direction, either completely out of left field or backwards. At the end of DS2, Isaac defeated the Marker both from without and within, and with his new friend Ellie, rocketed off to freedom. Well, in this game, Isaac has not only hooked up and boinked with Ellie (because in video game storylines what else are you supposed to do with a woman), but they've split up because Isaac has become a self-pitying recluse who is thrust back into the fray at gunpoint and spends the game complaining, wondering what the hell he's doing here (I can relate). When the game lets up on the Quicktime events to actually let you start playing, Isaac starts shooting at...dudes with guns. In a franchise that was supposed to be about shooting zombies to pieces, you start out by ducking behind cover and shooting dudes with guns in the face. Welcome to Call of Duty: Dead Space. The Unitologists, who made for great enemies with their methods of infiltration and subterfuge in past games, are now dudes with guns. They've managed to take over all of Earthgov, who were the totalitarian enemy in DS2, and have now reduced them to a SINGLE SQUAD. Wow, for a game that features alien monoliths that turn people into zombies, this game is making all this VERY hard to buy. So after the intro to Army of Isaac, he reunites with Ellie, who proceeds to lock lips with one of the jarhead military guys right in front of him. And now the zombie shark has officially been jumped. Ellie is Bella and Isaac is Edward. With the fate of humanity in the balance, Isaac now gets into p***ing contests with Military Jacob over stealing his girl.

The rest of the game is a tedious fetch-quest much like the 1st game, but whereas you felt put upon with the two other NPCs sending you here and there, now you fly through space and trudge in sub-zero terrain while a crowd of token characters like Bald Chick, Old Guy, and Redneck Jarhead tell you where to go while they sit back do jack squat. Meanwhile, you get to grab this thing and open this door and start this engine while you collect "resources" and "spare parts." Remember how players complained Dead Space didn't have the best weapons? Well the developers have passed that job down to us as we now construct guns like rusty Legos and find out that they're all still just as weak as ever, only now you, the player, have seen how fruitless your efforts are. That's pretty much how you experienced Dead Space 3; you don't play it, you work on it. You know, I can practically see the stiff-suited market researchers sitting around thinking how much crap they could cram into this game for the sole purpose of hooking more sales. We need that Twilight dollar, let's put in an overly dramatic and unneccesary love triangle! We need that Walking Dead dollar, let's add more useless NPCs that will serve no purpose other than to die at some point! We need that Mass Effect dollar, let's make the players pretend this is an RPG all of a sudden and collect parts!

I never quite understood why EA was painted as a money-grubbing, artistically-bankrupt company, but now I know all too well.
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    Dead space3 makes for a good 3rd person shooter with fantastic graphics and combat that can provide some nice moments of frantic on the spot re-thinking tactics as well as sporadic moments of high pressure. but as a "Dead Space game" its only a solid entry that strays to far from what made it the reason so many of us loved and hoped would continue to be, and that reason was horror. Now if you had any concern for the new entry into the series to be even more action focused and less nightmare driven then the previous Dead Space2 then congratulations, you where right! Dead space 3 continues the story of Isaac Clarke and boost a few new characters then the last game including a new villain Unitologist that for the life of me can not remember his name (which i am not surprised due to the flat cast of characters throughout) and returning support character Ellie (now with a magic eye ball) as well as a few others but most importantly John Carver who will act as isaac's new bro and function as the other player in co-op. Now, for the sake of not having any spoilers bleed out i am not going to say anything about the plot, events, story ect. that happen in the game however i will go on record to say that i was able to play through the whole game in co-op with a friend and although its not the direction i wanted to see the franchise go i can vouch for the games co-op as being "a lot of fun" ether with a personal friend or a complete stranger over Xbox Live. Dead Space 3 also sports a new weapons craft system that is in the form of the previous games "work benches" and are peppered throughout the game for you to ether sell, upgrade or craft all of your new found junk into making med packs both small, medium or large, ammo (which is now universal no matter the gun) weapon parts and finally weapon mods or "Circuit's" which by finding or crafting is what gives your gun stats like increased reload speed, damage, rate of fire or a combination of the bunch. Necromorphs are back and are as pissed as ever but in a much less terrifying way, i could not put my finger on it but there was something about them that seem to me as a little weak on the scares and lacked any and all of that gut wrenching feeling i got from previous titles though never the less they are still satisfying to brutally rip through. Also the environments lack that character that the other games nailed but that's not to say they are boring to move through just don't expect to see buckets of blood everywhere. At the end of the day Dead Space3 is a pretty fun 3rd person action game with some "gotcha" type moments tied into dark hallways, brutal gore and violence, the emptiness of space and a nice cheevo list with a really fun co-op mode not to mention a campaign that is really freaking long and you have a really nice package overall. Just remember the not so good things i said. Dead Space3 does NOT suck rather the direction they took it does. Thank you for your time Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2013
    When A Great Genre Game Went Mainstream

There comes a time in every game series lifespan were they begin to slowly degrade the lifeblood of a franchise as they slip farther and farther from the greatness it use to be. Dead Space 3 is the perfect example of a franchise in a state of flux as we leave the world of quite suspense for a world of crashing explosions. While I enjoyed Dead
    Space 3 for what it was (a third person shooter with the standard amount of suspense to keep it interesting) I could not help but long for my 8 hour play sessions of Dead Space the original in the dark with my Turtle beach's listing to the deafening silence as thing skittered through vents and shadows that made you question if you had just saw something or if it was just your imagination playing with you. Instead met with with Isaac Clarks non stop ramblings over the fact that is ex gf was with some other guy a point that seems entirely irrelevant as creatures continually try to murder him. I longed for the long dark hall ways of the ishimura were you could shine your flash light through the darkness and be greeted by horrific face of a necoromorph lunging towards you as you scramble backward and fire the last 10 shots you have with careful precision. This is all but lost in Dead Space 3 replaced by open planets with cover placed strategically through many sections of the world with soldiers shooting at you with reckless abandon as you hold the trigger down firing the nearly endless amount of ammo that you have which also now works for every weapon I truly thought I had some how switched from playing Dead Space 3 and some how had ended up in Gears Of War. While the game does have some redeeming qualities and is worth a play through it really no longer part of the Dead Space series in my eyes Dead Space 2 began to break away but kept enough of the original that it still could be considered part of the horror genre Dead Space 3 completes the break from the true roots of the original game

The Verdict: Overall a well made game but far fallen from what the franchise once was new players can play with ignorant bliss while veterans of the series long for better days!

Game Play:
    7 Core mechanics are the same ammo and health concerns have been eliminated in normal mode many missions and environments are used way to often

Graphics:
    7 Are on par with the current crop of AAA games but nothing special

Story:
    6 Fairly underwhelming story

Sound:
    Single Player 10 Coop 9 (Coop takes away from some of the ambient sounds in my opinion)

Replay Value:
    7 Many different modes to choose from replay as opposite Isaac in coop for some extra stories
  19. Feb 8, 2013
    A great game, just the tension that existed in the first, and thus ceased to exist as Resident Evil became an action game, a good thing is also the time duration, the plot is not as well worked.

Well worth the purchase!
  20. Feb 10, 2013
    Don't listen to what the critics say, this game is one of the most amazing experiences I've played in over a year. The story is great, and while it isn't as much as a horror Juggernaut like the first game was, it defensibly has a great amount of action to replace it. The developers have said that this is exactly where they wanted to go, and it's a great direction to take. The story is greatly unique, and game-play is smooth and intuitive. It remains to have that movie like, minimalism style HUD, where all of your information can be found on your suits RIG. The story is very lengthy, taking me 3 nights, for a total of at least 19 hours to beat the game on the hardest difficulty (prior to new game+) and I am currently about 5 hours into the Hardcore mode. The beginning of the game gives you a nice, brief summary of the events of the 1st and 2nd games, so newcomers will find it easy to pick up, and automatically know what's going on in this universe. Overall, i give it a 10/10. Expand
  21. Feb 12, 2013
    This certainly isn't the Dead Space we used to know. It's much more Action oriented than the first two.
    This paired with the fact that the whole story seemed to be kind of standardized in every way turns this into an utter letdown. Even Ellie, who in DS2 was pretty much the most badass female in any videogame ever has been turned in to a standardized damsel in distress for the main
    characters to fight over, without any significant influence on the story whatsoever. What a disappointment.

While I at first welcomed the more expansive storyline and universe of Isaacs tale I have to say that it severely dilutes the classic horror aspects of Dead Space. Nothing beats the terror of being in the middle of some horrible outbreak with no idea how to deal with it and no possible allies in reach. Nothing is more horrifying than complete and utter desolation. n DS3 on the other hand everything is explained from the start, and every five minutes one of your buddies calls you and tells you what to do and if you don't play coop it leads to weird situations when carver (the coop PC) suddenly pops up from nowhere, insults you for no reason and then disappears again.

What's left is a standard actiongame with nice graphics and a standardized and occasionally ridiculous story. The action is solid but soon enough looses its excitement. At least after you have descended to the planet and walked through the 50th recycled bunker-corridor and killed the 500th monster jumping out of a suspiciously placed air vent you just can't help but feel exausted.

And don't you dare spend any money on the microtransactions! Shame on EA for insulting its customers with crap like that!
  22. Feb 9, 2013
    Unfortunately one of my favorite franchises of the last few years has taken a huge misstep. Dead Space 3 followed the recent RE6 model and tried to be much more of an action game. I was maybe scared once or twice during the entire campaign...and I scare very easily. Instead of great pacing and subtle changes throughout the levels, DS3 became a shooting gallery. Tons of enemies is NOT the answer. The story is awful, with a recycled and laughable main villain. Unlike in the past, the secondary characters are paper thin and made me feel nothing for them. Not to mention Ellie was trashed in this, with her magically grown back eye and noticeably enlarged chest....sweet there goes a strong female character! Like I mentioned earlier there was not a single shred of horror in this newest entry in the series. Then there was the new gameplay format. Optional missions were added to obviously inflate a weak, severely lacking main quest. LINEAR works for Dead Space. The first two games proved this with excellent level crafting, pacing, and plot development. The only saving graces about DS3 were the great environments, sound design, and co-op campaign. There were some cool moments, but they were fleeting. The Dead Space franchise should definitely take a break after this game, and should be reevaluated to see what made the first two so fantastic, before moving onto a four or even reboot. RENT RENT RENT Expand
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    I really liked Dead Space when it first came out and waited patiently for Dead Space 2 after that, which had a few improvements, but was not as scary as the first game. When EA announced that DS3 will be the scariest game of the trilogy, it immediately became my No.1 game in my wish-list. But what did I get for waiting? MASS EFFECT 1. I have nothing more to add. The game isn't scary at all, Necromorphs just run like crazy at you and do almost no damage, just as Husks do in ME. The game dropped all the horror elements and went full action. Expand
  24. Feb 13, 2013
    One of the greatest franchises is back with the third game... Dead Space 3! Right off the back in the story, action hits! The story is so chrisp and is a great way to continue the story. The action based horror games bringes everything you have expected plus more with the Co-Op mode able. Fighting with your buddy makes killing aliens so much better knowing you have him by your side. Overall, the game has great graphics, controls, and a great story. This is worth your 60$ for you to check out! Expand
  25. Feb 9, 2013
    This franchise is among my favorite in the entire industry. This first game was one of the scariest thing I've ever experienced and the second one was a great game but I did find my self scared a jump scare or two got me but that was it. This game had quite a lot of attempts at scare but, much like the second, not many got pass. The overall mood of the game is mildly tense in a scary way but there is a large amount tension in not knowing what is going to happen next. The mood of the game best shows through during solo play, save co-op for your second play through. Overall, much like the second game, it does less than stellar in the horror genre, unless you are easily gotten by jump scares. On the earlier mention not of co-op, it works great when you have no one in your game then there is no AI to follow you around leavening the feel of the game intact, rather than making you fell like a babysitter for your AI partner. The combat is as great as ever and the weapon crafting system is easy and one of the most fun this about the game can be making new weapons. If you like the old weapons than have no fear they all make a return. There is even a mode unlocked upon beating the game that is unlocked where you can only use those guns. Speaking of other modes there are 4 in total, not including new game that add in things that make the game more interesting, like hardcore where you have to play the game without dying once or pure survival where you must craft med-kits and ammo as you find none through. This helps to boost replay value even higher which is amassing considering that this games cut-scenes are short and none feel unneeded. The pacing of the story is great if you like to explore your game worlds, if not it might be a little slow, the last two chapters, out of the nineteen in the game, felt a little rush as the story accelerated towards the finale. Exploring is rewarded in this game with not only achievements but in game rewards every time you complete a set, which range from text log to weapon parts and even artifacts.

So to summarize if your looking solely for a horror game then look elsewhere but that is not to say the game is not great. The combat and mechanics are great and work flawlessly. The atmosphere is mildly tense and will keep you guessing on what will happen next. the graphics and sound design are beyond stellar. Replay value is high.
  26. Feb 12, 2013
    This is not the best Dead Space game, but that's not to say it's a bad game, it's still a great game and a worthy entry in the Dead space series. Dead Space 3 has introduced human villains with guns and that's a major point of contempt for some people, though it should be pointed out that their presence in the game is kept to a minimum, this is still a classic Dead Space game where Isaac Clarke must survive against the necromorphs and it's still a very familiar Dead Space game in that regard. Another point of contempt for others is that the game has traded its horror elements for an action focus, in that sense the game isn't as horror focused as Dead Space 1, but like Dead Space 2 the story ads a great deal to the experience. Also, not a terrifying horror game but it's still a horror game, and a thrilling one at that; I'm aware people out there really want to tell others how they wear their big boy pants and weren't the least bit shaken by any of the Dead Space games, I myself make sure I get the most out of them, I play alone, at night, in the dark, with stereo headphones with the sound cranked, no XBL party chat, no playing with friends watching, no company period, no distractions like music playing in background or watching Netflix on my laptop, no turning down the volume when things get tense... doing all that, this game is scary, not as scary as the first but scary enough to make me jump when I get surprised, and remains a very thrilling game throughout. Though one point worth bringing up is this game doesn't introduce you to Unitology like Dead Space 2 did at the Titan Station, it gives you a quick introduction to the story so far and takes things from there, it doesn't do much through the game of painting a picture of what Unitology is and what role it plays in the universe, I personally didn't mind since I played Dead Space 1, Extraction, 2, and was familiar to the universe when I began Dead Space 3; it should be noted that it's not a great idea for someone who hasn't touched a Dead Space game to try getting into this third game without having played Dead Space and Dead Space 2. Many are aware this game does take place on a planet, but they didn't avoid the space in Dead Space, a good portion (maybe 1/3 or more) of the game takes place in orbit above the planet,, the protagonists are marooned and must salvage a working ship in order to descend to the planet, in this time you get to spend a great deal in space salvaging parts, moving around to other destroyed ships to salvage a working spacecraft, it's very cool in this regard. People are also iffy about the presence of weapon crafting, I was even skeptical at first and didn't want to stray away from familiar weapons, then after some experimentation with crafting new weapons I finally made some really cool weapons unique from other Dead Space games, it felt very rewarding to do so. As far as difficulty goes normal difficulty feels like normal difficulty at first, but as you craft more efficient killing weapons the game does start to get easy, but still enjoyable, fans wanting a more traditional survival horror experience should play on harder settings for more scarcity of ammo and medical items and deadlier enemies. If you enjoyed the previous Dead Space games, don't pass this one up, if you haven't played a Dead Space game yet, don't start with this one, get the others and work your way to the third game. Expand
  27. Feb 14, 2013
    The game is great and the plot is amazing and blew me away, but being a fan of the other 2 games i saw some great features be left behind, such as saving at a save station, power nodes and the store, I love the bench and the way so many guns can be built but the whole universal ammo idea though it was completely nesscary left out the inventory arangement the other 2 had, i played on hard and had so much ammo I didn't need, with this ammo stituation the game became a lot less scary as I knew I had enough ammo to be able to expand 3 stacks and still have plenty, and although the idea of the suit rack was awesome I did like how once you upgraded your suit every suit would be the same as the other suits, it made them feel more like a visual effect rather than something that would actually give you a special bonus for wearing it, and I know I am probably whining a little here, no lies the games great I love it and it stands proudly as a worthy third installment, i just wish some of the other games features had appered in this. At least you can't go through the whole game using only the Plasma Cutter on hard. Expand
  28. Feb 17, 2013
    As a fan of the series, I loved Dead Space 1 and 2, I had high hopes for Dead Space 3 when I initially saw it, but then I actually played the game and noticed not only flaws in the gameplay itself, but flaws in the story, writing, and even the graphics in a many places. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this game at all, I do however, hate what Visceral and EA have done with this game, Microtransactions for weapon parts and resources, DLC on day 1, achievements for future DLC already in the game on release, all of these are hallmarks of EAs cancerous, greedy touch on the series. Gameplay is much, much easier than any other game in the series (even on impossible). Graphics are improved by a fair bit, but graphical glitches in many areas detract from these improvements. Weapon customization effectively breaks the game within 5 chapters of starting it (about 1-3 hours of gameplay), the force gun and shotgun makes every normal enemy in the game a joke. Story was interesting, but could have been executed better. Overall, this doesn't feel like a Dead Space game, it lacks the scares, the psychological horror, even the simple but difficult gameplay that previous games executed flawlessly. I will note, however, that if you have a co-op buddy to play the game with, this game can be tons of fun. Buying it is up to you, but I personally wouldn't recommend it Expand
  29. Feb 24, 2013
    Ive always been a huge fan of the horror genre. I loved the first two Dead space games. and i love Dead space 3 just the same. but there is something missing. The initial sence of terror. while still there, is lacking. But despite that, dead space 3 is one hell of a game. If you want the full experience play the coop. that is where this game stands out. i wont give anything away but seeing a toy soldier has never been this scary. The only time i was truely scared in this game was when my coop partner started screeming and spinning in circles in an elevator to something i could not see. This game offers an intense action packed experience that anyone fan of dead space or not, could love. I love dead space 3 and i cant stop playing it. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2013
    Does anyone remember the bat things, that would make dead bodies come to life as necromorphes? Those have somehow vanished from this series. I was completely freaked out of anything, even dead, somehow coming to life in a crazy deformed monster. Those were the Dead Space moments that, like Isaac in the second game,made me lose my mind. As a Dead Space game I call this a 6. However, as an action game, which im a fun of that too, I give it a solid 9+. The controls are the tightest out of most games out there. I love the co-op too. What I noticed is that DS3 feels allot like Lost Planet, and the next Lost Planet looks like a Dead Space game. Very odd.

My suggestion to EA, may not be popular, but end the story of Isaac Clark. Creat a story like the IPhone app game was for Dead Space. That's my take on it. I do very much love this game, and hope for more
  31. Mar 24, 2013
    Great game and history. The script of this game can be easy a great movie. From the technical view, the details of the levels and characters are more advanced that other games from this year release. I don't want to finish it (about 44% made right now). For Visceral Games, maybe a little more of history and less killing would be great for the next DS.
  32. May 26, 2013
    From beginning to end, this game felt real cinematical. You accomplish a task to save your loved one, fight off villains, get betrayed, and ultimately sacrifice yourself. The gameplay 's very smooth and features vivid customization. Too much drama and not enough Bang-bang, pew-pew.
  33. Aug 8, 2013
    There are two ways to look at Dead Space 3, firstly as a pale shadow of a successful survival horror series, or as an enjoyable action experience. The horror is just about gone and the few attempts at it fall flat, but the core game-play is tighter than ever and is a joy to play with a friend. My advice is enjoy the game for what it is, an atmospheric action game and don't lament the loss of that special type of horror it once had. Expand
  34. Aug 13, 2013
    Dead space 3, it may not be as scary as 1 and 2, but still it is great fun to play with great set pieces and stunning visuals, and with a great weapon crafting system that should keep things interesting for the whole duration of the campaign, and will probably have you coming back to test out different combinations.
    The story is probably one of the weakest part of the game as it is not
    interesting with lack lustre characters it just isn't engaging. Thankfully its environments will keep you playing as the game looks stunning and travelling across tau volatis (if I spelt that right) is great and for those who are worried about that classic tight corridor feeling is still present but not as much and that is no reason to say the game isn't scary at some parts it will keep you on the edge of your seat but this instalment seems to be more action focused.
    All in all this is great fun to play shooting those necromorphs is more fun than ever. (I didn't get around playing co-op)
  35. Dec 5, 2013
    I had very little expectations for this game having never played the series before, and found the game to be bland and at times illogical. For whatever reason the combat just seemed rather boring. When targeting humanoids the reticle pretty much snapped to their heads, making combat with them way too easy. And on the opposite side of the spectrum I found the monster things taking forever to kill. Perhaps it's just my unfamiliarity with the series, but I would use clip after clip of ammo to kill a handful of them. I also found the game to be glitched in a manner that I couldn't continue on in the first space level. I looked up guides and videos for this spot assuming I must have been missing something... Nope the game was just broken After trying that one little part for 45 mins I just gave up on the game altogether.
    Also, in dead space people talk without helmets or whatever their special breather/climate control system is, in space aka a vacuum. Stupid. Maybe somebody at there studio should read up on space and vacuums and how there is no noise in a vacuum considering there is no air for the sound waves.
  36. Feb 5, 2013
    So what its not as focused as the "survival horror" as the others it still and incredible game with a great story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. the boss battle thingys can be annoying but its still easily up there as one of the best games to start 2013 so, if you like dead space or third person shooters pick it up!!!
  37. Feb 5, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is spectacular to newcomers but I downside to veterans of the series. But, if you are new you will be definitely please with the stunning visuals, awesome sound, excellent game play, co-op and tons of weapon customization and RIG suits. Its absolutely fun to play especially with a friend. All in all I will be playing this game for a while until GTA 5
  38. Feb 5, 2013
    i want to start of by saying that if you are playing dead space solely for the horror aspect then you may want to not play it at all. I'm sorry to say but the horror aspect of dead space 3 is just not apparent. when i open a door I'm not crapping in my pants over what lies beyond (although there were some very well placed jumpscares). all of this EA padding and money whoring really does not effect game play at all. neither does co op hell it just immerses you into the story even more. besides horror being dull the good things about it are plentiful: even though its not scary there is a lot of tensions and an eerie ambience. the weapons crafting system is pure genius. i love the fact that i can look for parts and make awesome new weapons with so many combinations and permutations. the combat is immersive and overall amazing. it feels like a top notch sic fi survival. un summation, you should look at dead space 3 as more of a sic fi survival than a gut clenching horror. this game with no doubt deserves a fair 8. only since dead space lives to be a horror game and is not scary. but the combat, tension in atmosphere, (combat can be scary and brutal on you) redeems the quality of the scariness. the story itself feels a little padded with pointless drama but does not detract from the marker lore. such minor details should not keep you away from a great played game like this with so much replay value. a solid 8 from me and is worth your money Expand
  39. Feb 6, 2013
    Does a video game need to have horror to be good? The answer is no, but people will argue "It's not horror anymore so it sucks!" too which I will disagree. Just because it changed from pure horror to a mix of action and horror doesn't mean it's bad. I bought the game and retrieved it on release day with my friend so we could play it online, and while we have not yet beaten the game, we enjoy the gameplay thoroughly. The customization of weapons is quite fun, along with the need for resources and overwhelming number of necromorphs to keep you on your toes, as well as keep your eye on your ammo counter. The fear doesn't come from unkillable enemies or freaky enemies, but rather from the fact you might die soon and have to start over from that checkpoint. Does it have jumpscares? Yes there are some, but are they needed in mass amount like in DS1 to make it scary? No, the waves of enemies do that for you. Is co-op a necessity? Kind of, and thats why I don't consider it a perfect game because it has a necessity for you to FULLY enjoy the game. With that in mind, you definitely need a friend to team up with. The graphics are great still, and there is an atmosphere just like DS 1 and 2, with the blood and writing on the walls, the side missions that give you a story for places, and rewards you for exploring it, as well as the environment being torn and battered from the damage done. Overall I consider the game to be a new experience, and if you just want horror, go play Dead Space or Amnesia, because by now you shouldn't be scared because you KNOW these enemies, and you KNOW how to kill them, so without mystery the horror could not be repeated, and was instead set to a side with some action and gunplay that makes the game enjoyable and fun for 2 people to get together and in the words of the box art "Take down the Terror Together". Expand
  40. Feb 7, 2013
    Dead Space 3 have a really great atmosphere that fill you with emotions and sensations that not a lot of game can accomplish. The sensation of terror is always present around you and you never know when you are going to get attack. The level design is very well design and beautiful, i keep getting myself lost to look around :P. Also, the storyline go through very exciting stuff and there is also some twists that you don't expect. Overall a great game and a must buy! (before you play Dead space 2 Expand
  41. Feb 7, 2013
    A lot of people are and thinking ''the horror is gone, and it sucks.'' That is NOT true!
    It takes balls to focus on the action and less on the survival horror, and i respect that.
    First off, graphics are amazing! Really dark and gritty. It is true though, that the horror has gone lost somewhere. But it doesn't bring the game down. It's way too impressive. The story may be a bit forced,
    i get that. But it's all about the gameplay and the visuals. The visuals are stunning by the way. It's a great sequel to the dead space franchise, and i can't wait to see what they have on their sleeves next time. Expand
  42. Feb 7, 2013
    Sure we could go into this game being the DLC scumbag of the year, but the real star is the fantastic scripting and the wonderful combat scenarios that make the last two games in the series feel like a fever dream. Such rich dialogue, such fantastic love trianglezzz, such amazing encounters that make you feel like you are in action filmzzzz. While I deeply understand that there is a great sense of external pressure from a publisher and the things that they want to be included in a 2013 triple A title, go find your COD's and your MOH to vent your monetary frustrations. (And if you make me pay 60$ again only to find out that you want an additional 5$ for silly robot voices on the scavenger bots, you can go yourself). Expand
  43. Feb 8, 2013
    Although playing DS1 and DS2 has slightly de-sensitized me to Necromorphs. This is still an awesome game. The anticipation that something is about to jump out at you is what makes this game so exciting. I’m halfway through the campaign and can’t wait to get home from work to play some more.
  44. Feb 8, 2013
    Sadly, the atmospheric haze and exquisite pacing of the previous games have been replaced by run-n-gun action, wall-to-wall music and a relentless din. It's a disappointing addition to two great pieces of work. I liken it to the difference in feel between the original "Alien" and "Aliens" movies. The first was a masterpiece of rawness, suspense and emptiness; the latter, a slicker, monotonous and loud mainstream film, though good, just very different and not to my taste. In addition, I found the weapon building to be creative, but unbelievably tedious, and immersion-busting. I appreciate the masterful work that went into this, but am disappointed in the direction. Not having much fun on this one. Expand
  45. Feb 10, 2013
    Dead space 3 was a good game, best as far as gameplay for the series, but without as many opportunities for instant death, the horror aspect has declined, is it a bad game? No, it's really fun as they have don't almost the opposite of mass effect by going from a 3rd person shooter and have added more rpg-like aspects to the game like crafting. I'd say it's worth the money if only for the extra game modes, and fun gameplay, but if you're looking for a horror game, stick to amnesia. Expand
  46. Feb 13, 2013
    Skip this game unless you you enjoy running down repetitive hallways fighting the same uninspired enemies over and over again. Case in point, you are only ever attacked when a necromorph comes out of the ground or out from a vent, over and over again and again. Dead space 1 was by far the best game, good survival horror with a fun story. Dead Space 2 was a bit of a departure from that combination and a little less fun. EA has since taken over and made this into an average 3rd person shooter with no personality. I don't see the purpose of the multiplier it seems like it is tacked on so EA can make more in micro transactions.

All in all this game was unnecessary if they were going to make Dead Space 3 in this fashion. Without the survival horror aspect of the game it has become an mediocre 3rd person shooter... maybe worth a rental but not worth buying.
  47. Feb 14, 2013
    ds 3 is a great game fulfilling the dead space story. too many negatives from so called survival horror game players, who cannot see the tension building within the game. lets remember visceral developed the game, and did a fantastic job. not all survival horrors are based in a haunted mansion or an asylum. i have played hundreds of games, and my love is survival horror, and the dead space trilogy still stands out as some of the best games i have played. well done visceral, come on ds 4, and you lot of whinging girls, grow up, stop moaning and play the game the way it was made to be played. you never know you might actually get it! Expand
  48. Feb 18, 2013
    Disappointment is the single most relevant word to Dead Space 3. If it were only that it wasn't a survival-horror game, but still a fun action game it would be great. Instead it plays like an unfinished game; designs get reused too frequently, details and character interaction is missing, and a certain level of polish is absent. Most of the action is walking into a room and fighting a huge wave of enemies, followed by a similar room with another wave of enemies. Backtracking is quite frequent, and during these quiet moments there's nothing to fill the void except boredom to get out. Side missions are especially prone to this, and because of this the game feels both small and dragging on for too long.
    The story is easily the weakest part. It begins confusing as so much of the game world has changed radically since the last installment, and important character development fails to pull through. By the time changes start happening it's hardly effective as the level of involvement from the additional human survivors is minimal, and relies much on the players own assumptions. Worse is the dialogue, it is cringe-worthy awkward, and at times uncomfortable to sit through. Unfortunately there is no button to skip cutscenes.
    Overall the game feels rushed out of production to meet a deadline; hopefully future installments will have a larger team, a smaller scope, or a longer time table to complete the game.
  49. Feb 17, 2013
    They killed the scary experience with DS3, made the game for CoD newbs that just want action and nudity (Ellie's "upgraded" rack) and care nothing about a good story and atmosphere. Same thing happened with Resident Evil 5 and also with Hitman Absolution (less stealth and poor story, shallow characters) Unfortunately, these ignorant people far outnumber the original fanbase of the Dead Space franchise and thus, games are e being shaped to please THEM. At the end of the day, corporations are out there to squeeze every cent out of each product and Dead Space fell victim to that. Kudos to franchises that manage to keep their uniqueness despite that fact. Expand
  50. Feb 18, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was innovative, fun, and offered a slightly different experience to it's predecessors. While definitely a more action based installment, the horror element is certainly there and well done. I found myself at times dreading the next room or jumping at the next enemy surprising me, wile not as fearful as the first, it did have the action part more well done than it's predecessors.

The action portion was great, being able to customize a huge number of elements on my weapons from upgrades, to barrel combinations, I was never short of a fun, new way to massacre necros. In addition, moments of empowerment are quite exciting, being able to use your (assuming you're accurate) solid aim and superior intellect to crush groups of enemies.

While I wish it was more horror (like the first installment) I think in and of itself DS3 was very well made, and very fun. I personally think that reviewing this game in strong comparison with the first is foolhardy, as it is *meant* to not be as much horror and much more action.

Although I rate this game a 9, I am going to give it a 10 to offset the ridiculous fools here that leave crappy *opinion only* based reviews and are upset because *their* personal desires are not met (I also see many of them seem to be "hipster gamers," apparently it is just plain cool to hate on big game companies).

I highly recommend this game for anyone looking for some good scares, and lots of gruesome, gory, and exciting killing.
  51. Feb 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me start by telling you what games I do like. Mass effect 1,2&3. Dead Space 1&2 and Bioshock 1&2 to name a few, just so you know what page I'm on. This is one of the worst games I've played in a long time for the 360. I bought it due to the reviews on game.co.uk and because I loved 1&2. For the first time in a long time I didn't do my research properly. Big mistake.! I found that you spend more time trying to build a gun in the beginning than using one and even if you do get it right, killing the necro's is like trying to take down an elephant with a pea shooter. The stasis is nearly useless as it runs out after a couple of goes and you have to be very accurate with it. It takes a lifetime to recharge and even if you do hit your target by the time you have reloaded your pea shooter you will find them all over you anyway. The game play isn't horror! At best it's jumpy and that's mainly because every door that you open and close sounds like you are about to be attacked, speaking of doors, you need to be 5mm from the panel to open it and don't think that you can stand back from it to give yourself a fighting chance because if you do it will just close again. You feel as though you are being dragged through the game and after a while you just want it to end, either through boredom or frustration. It might be my imagination as I've not played DS 1&2 for a while but the controls feel different and clumsy. I admit that the graphics are quite nice when you get a chance to look out of a window but the rest of it is dusty (probably to hide the low res graphics) I've only been playing it for about 8 hours and I had to restart it after about 3 and a bit because I built a gun that was rubbish, my bad I think? I can appreciate that many of you will be thinking that I shouldn't be giving my opinion at this early stage and normally I'd agree with you but I have very little desire to pick my pad back up again. I bought the limited edition version because it only cost £2 more from game's £43 price tag but as far as I can make out unless you're doing a co op the only thing you get is the use of two suites for 24 hrs, EA making more money off DLC again, what a surprise! Please don't buy this game, if you have play it then rent it but the best thing I can suggest is to believe the game died with Dead Space 2. It's that bad. Roll on Bioshock 3. Expand
  52. Feb 23, 2013
    Being a horror lover, I've been a fan from the start, placing myself in a dark room alone with headphones turned up to 11, enjoying the first Dead Space experience in a way that I'll never forget. Since then, two iterations have emerged and I have thoroughly enjoyed both. Both sequels however, have not met my expectations pleasantly in regards to the 'true' horror experience that the first release was. That fact however, should in no way affect the score for the later titles as Dead Space 3 is a superb game. As many have pointed out, Dead Space 3 weighs in heavily on the action front but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's completely devoid of the horror that the series is known for. The catch here is that it's only a scary experience if you want it to be. The shooting mechanics are as they've always been though slightly more fine tuned. Strategic dismemberment of the Necromorphs is ever present and important as they are much faster and aggressive this time around. The fights against the human 'Unitologists' aren't nearly as tense or gratifying and can be at times a little detrimental to the overall atmosphere but let's face it, when you've played all the games and appreciate the story and lore, who doesn't want to unload a plasma cutter into one of those fools?
    At the normal setting(not recommended), you will breeze through the campaign easily, your inventory filled to bursting with health packs and ammo, necromorphs falling left and right to your overpowered arsenal. Turn up the difficulty however, and you're more likely to enjoy yourself if you seek that good ol' desperate feeling.
    I started off on hard and met a respectable challenge, at times damning myself for not stocking up on supplies properly and at other times feeling like the damn hero that Isaac Clarke, the most unfortunate engineer in the history of man, has come to be. For me, the perfect experience in DS3 was playing the game in 'Pure Survival' (a mode unlocked upon completion), where all ammo, health, upgrades and stasis etc had to be crafted manually with the resources you find lying around.
    Optional missions pop up here and there and are a welcome addition, in particular because aside from one, they were some of the most frightening missions in the game and serve to enliven the atmosphere of the various locations. The weapon crafting system albeit confusing at first glance, is quite frankly excellent (again, on harder difficulties) as it is truly gratifying, especially when you've evaluated your situation and find a combination of weapon parts that really save your hide under certain circumstances. Spend enough time here and you will be thankful for the opportunity to do so.
    A lot of flack has been thrown at DS3 because of EA and most notably, a modern trademark of that company: Payed downloadable content that will help you on your world saving conquest. I had read about this before I played the game but admittedly, I didn't even noticed the feature until my 3rd playthrough. If you dislike this kind of thing then fret not, it is in no way an imposing mechanic nor a requirement to play, complete or enjoy the game.
    Co-op, the most recent and potentially worrying addition to the franchise works as expected. The mechanics are solid but aside from a larger insight into Isaac's partner Carver, it doesn't offer much in my opinion. It should be noted however that I play the Dead Space games for isolation, horror and atmosphere purposes, others may take great pleasure in teaming up with a buddy for the murder party.
    I enjoyed the story despite the fact that at times, it's a bit on the clichéd side with some truly corny 'love' moments. That being said, considering Isaac's journey from one awful situation to another, I completely accepted the more 'heroic' turn of events this time around which are naturally followed by a more 'grandioso' style of storytelling. Besides, anyone who questions Isaac's 'bad-assness' at this point should just play a barbie game. Overall, I would recommend Dead Space 3 to anyone who enjoys either action or horror. Both elements are ever present in the game and the mechanics are, after 3 iterations, very tight and the game performs admirably. I don't consider graphics a necessity in the creation of good games but they look great here and the expansive space areas are fantastic. Get this game. And if you prefer to buy used games then worry not, the online pass/co-op is in no way critical to your enjoyment of this excellent gaming experience.
  53. Mar 19, 2013
    Great game play, pretty good story, Isaac is back and better than ever but this time, with a friend. I enjoyed the Co-op so much! Great all around, scary fun!
  54. ARO
    Apr 2, 2013
    Absolutely no different from the first two. Completely unscary, repetitive, predictable, silly and just plain boring. I came to the point where I just couldn't care or be bothered any more, so I traded all 3 games in for Tomb Raider. Much more worth the time and a much more memorable experience than the Dead Space trilogy.
  55. Apr 5, 2013
    When I saw the new trailer for Dead Space 3 I wanted it crap my pants. Since I was a huge fan of the 1st and 2nd game I had quite high expectations for the 3rd in the series. I played it and was mildly impressed at first. There were no scares, I was fighting humans and not Necromorphes, and it all seemed to be an action game instead of an horror game. But when I got a little further in the game It got more classic Dead Space, with the Necromorphes popping up in elevators and epic bosses. It turned for the good. I don't like the new weapon system and side mission, but it ads a little "game" to the game.

All in all a solid gaming experience
  56. Apr 7, 2013
    I was going to make a long review but I am going to make it short: Dead Space 3 may not be the same as its predecessors, but it still is rather enjoyable. The scares never came to me as a selling point for Dead Space, I play the games because the story was interesting and the gameplay was excellent. Too many people are just angry with the fact that its not as scary, and instead of actually attempting to link the story together, they bash it because EA only cares about micro-transactions", and, "Hurr durr not enough scary moments". The new weapon crafting system is much better than the old Power Node system. The story, while cinematic to a fault, was still on track with the previous installments. The human enemies do NOT ruin the game, they are a fundamental part of the story. At the end of the day, one can determine those who really enjoys the series from those that simply played them because they were survival horror. This game is excellent, and people are angry because it wasn't exactly the same as the first two. Expand
  57. Apr 13, 2013
    As a fan of the first two games, I was eagerly awaiting this game. I'm pleased to say this is a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed. While it may not have quite as many "jump out of your seat" moments, it does have them now and then you will find yourself wiping your sweaty controller hands frequently.

In regard to the story, there are some cringe-worthy moments, mostly involving a
    weird love triangle. No spoilers, but you won't enjoy those parts. Those moments aside, the story keeps you interested throughout the whole game and really ties up the trilogy well.

In regard to how it looks, Dead Space 3 is gorgeous. I played it on Xbox 360 and for me, it's only behind Crysis 2 in terms of graphical beauty (talking about Xbox 360 games only here). By beauty I mean disgustingly awful creatures, of course, though the environments are spectacular and the physics extremely well-done. The oft-varying environments are a welcome change to the narrow corridors we were usually confined to in the first two games.

One thing I don't appreciate is EA's money-grubbing hands making the true end to the story a DLC. That's right, if you just finish the game without buying Awakened for 800 MSP you won't know the true end to Dead Space 3. Granted, the end is awesome, but really? Should we have to pay an extra $10 to see it?

All points considered, Dead Space 3 is a worthy sequel to the series and an extremely fun game to play. It's also worth noting that it took me about 24 hours to play it through completely, as compared to about 12 hours for each of the first two. Granted, I did all the optional missions and did a lot of exploring, but I was still impressed by the length. No spoilers, but the end (the TRUE end) of the game leaves it wide open for a Dead Space 4. Conclusion? I will be extremely disappointed if there isn't a Dead Space 4!
  58. Oct 28, 2013
    Coop Mode
    + Nice Weapon building system
    - no real difficulty levels.. just bulletsponges
    - bugs, bugs bugs,
    - EA Origin
    - lazy Writing and stupid story
    - Lame and really dumb antagonist
    - Lazy Level Design
    - Stupid AI
    - even more Bugs

1. Apr 15, 2013
    There’s also unevenness to the pacing between the high-energy action divided by constant collect-a-thons.
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    A great horror game was turned into a decent co-op shooter. Dead Space 3 is well-made but the uniqueness of the series is gone. Was that really the goal? [CD-Action 04/2013, p.66]
  3. Mar 23, 2013
    An impressive all-out action blaster that betrays its horror roots for a lower common denominator. [Apr 2013, p.64]