6.3

1. Feb 5, 2013
    So what its not as focused as the "survival horror" as the others it still and incredible game with a great story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. the boss battle thingys can be annoying but its still easily up there as one of the best games to start 2013 so, if you like dead space or third person shooters pick it up!!!
  2. Feb 5, 2013
    For better or for worse, this is Dead Space. Less scary.....yes. But just as intense as DS2. They have packed this game with more epic moment that the first two iterations had as well. The availability of microtransactions is a little bit of a let down. But you do NOT have to purchase them. They are optional and can be earned through natural progression. IMHO, this is not the best Dead Space game. But it stands proud as a worthy entry into the Dead Space universe. I would compare it to the difference between Killzone 2 and 3. 3 was a really good game and technically superior. But 2 had that little extra magic and lore. At the same time, both earned there place on my book shelf and in my system for different reason. Bottom line, if you loved DS1 and DS2, you won't be disappointed in 3. Expand
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    Does a video game need to have horror to be good? The answer is no, but people will argue "It's not horror anymore so it sucks!" too which I will disagree. Just because it changed from pure horror to a mix of action and horror doesn't mean it's bad. I bought the game and retrieved it on release day with my friend so we could play it online, and while we have not yet beaten the game, we enjoy the gameplay thoroughly. The customization of weapons is quite fun, along with the need for resources and overwhelming number of necromorphs to keep you on your toes, as well as keep your eye on your ammo counter. The fear doesn't come from unkillable enemies or freaky enemies, but rather from the fact you might die soon and have to start over from that checkpoint. Does it have jumpscares? Yes there are some, but are they needed in mass amount like in DS1 to make it scary? No, the waves of enemies do that for you. Is co-op a necessity? Kind of, and thats why I don't consider it a perfect game because it has a necessity for you to FULLY enjoy the game. With that in mind, you definitely need a friend to team up with. The graphics are great still, and there is an atmosphere just like DS 1 and 2, with the blood and writing on the walls, the side missions that give you a story for places, and rewards you for exploring it, as well as the environment being torn and battered from the damage done. Overall I consider the game to be a new experience, and if you just want horror, go play Dead Space or Amnesia, because by now you shouldn't be scared because you KNOW these enemies, and you KNOW how to kill them, so without mystery the horror could not be repeated, and was instead set to a side with some action and gunplay that makes the game enjoyable and fun for 2 people to get together and in the words of the box art "Take down the Terror Together". Expand
  4. Feb 5, 2013
    A tip to everyone, DO NOT LISTEN TO NEGATIVE USER REVIEWS, people often don't understand the meaning of 10 or 0, so just don't listen. Now to the review, in short, Dead Space 3 is the classic Dead Space you've come to know and love through and through. The story is still excellent, the visuals this time around are impressive, and the gameplay is still as grossly satisfying as ever. The new weapon system provides excellent variety, and the co-op mode is not intrusive. Co-op, in fact, adds to the story line making Dead Space 3 a much more worth while experience. The only problems I had were a few backtracking moments. The game is scary, a little less than previous installments, but is still satisfying. If you are a classic DS fan you will love this, if you are new to the franchise, you will love this game. Worth all the money, and if the game doesn't seem scary enough, play hardcore, you only get 3 saves for the entire game and if you die you go back to your last save. It is extremely intense. Expand
  5. Feb 5, 2013
    I don't understand all the hate that is coming from people about this game. Is it more action? Yes. Does it have the same atmosphere as the original games? More so with Dead Space 2. The first game was amazing, I don't disagree, but people had reservations about Dead Space 2 before it came out. A common comment I would see is, "Oh why has Isaac turned into Iron Man". But when that came out everyone had got past the little things and embraced it. Here in lies the issue that most are having with Dead Space 3. Co-op.... Now don't get me wrong, Dead Space has always been a single player game(with the exception of extraction) but there is always potential to improve an I.P. in many ways and the developers felt that co-op would add to this. What they could have done is make two Isaac's or a throwaway character. Or even more terrifying they could have added an A.I. partner all the way through. But what they did was innovative and had it been a different I.P. I'm sure Visceral would be lauded for it. As it stands this game didn't reinvent the wheel, but it did try to innovate it, and in that respect I feel that this game is great. It improves weapon crafting while also adding a slew of altered enemies to fight in the process. Not only that but it also increases playtime with optional missions to undertake. Expand
  6. Feb 5, 2013
    You're gonna see a lot of negative reviews for this game since some people hate EA so much, but this game does not deserve it, so far I'm up to chapter 4, and having so much fun, great story and the gameplay is very addictive. Dead Space 2 got a 90 overall from the critics, so far Dead Space 3 has a 79. that makes no sense, this game is equal to or better than it's predecessor. Seems that the critics from overseas are giving this game lower scores. Expand
  7. Feb 5, 2013
    this game is great albeit the horror is toned and critics are bashing it but that is expected when they listen to the casual gamers instead of the hardcore fanbase. i dont know why people are hurt u ddnt have to buy the game but i will cause i love the series since its inception
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    This is not the Dead Space we used to know, but still the same Dead Space that we love
    This time I feel more like watch a horror film rather than playing a game. The research by the dev on horror films surely helped the game in this aspect.
    The crafting system is new, a new way to add more personality in this game.
    The game feel more dynamic and it's really fun.
    One thing is that the
    Necromorphs doesn't seems to get stunned after being attacked. This is a good way to increase difficulty but I'm not sure if it's a good way to do it.
    The enhanced graphic amazed me, especially on the first chapter of the game. It's really a enjoyable game for me, as a hardcore Dead Space series gamer who played every game and most of the comics and novels
    At last, I know that some people may think negative to this game because of the DLC. Just one thing to say, they are not necessary and are addition to an already great gaming experience. I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy what you already have without those DLC suits and weapons.
  9. Feb 5, 2013
    I love this game!! I just started playing but the beginning already has me hooked, game play is solid, graphics are excellent, the story is toying with my emotions in the best way possible making me hate the villan even more. Was disappointed my gamestop didn't have a midnight release, but my anticipation, and expectations were all met with this amazing game and then some! I play black ops 2 but its hard to believe it has a higher rating even though it has became so repetitive, its boring. Not DS3 though this is a game that will have you on the edge of your seat, wondering what will happen next. A excellent addition to your gamer library. The Dead Space series is a must buy!! Expand
  10. Feb 5, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is spectacular to newcomers but I downside to veterans of the series. But, if you are new you will be definitely please with the stunning visuals, awesome sound, excellent game play, co-op and tons of weapon customization and RIG suits. Its absolutely fun to play especially with a friend. All in all I will be playing this game for a while until GTA 5
  11. Feb 8, 2013
    I just want to state the differences between Dead Space 2 and 3, so you can draw your own conclusions. I have only played solo on hard so far. +Graphical improvements +Incredible production value +Replayablity +Upgrade/Crafting system overhaul +Faster, more deadly enemies +Enemy variety +Unintrusive Co-Op +Atmosphere (More like Promethius and 80's thrillers than previous dead space atmosphere)
    +There are a few, though less common chills and scares
    +Environmental variety
    +Side quests
    +It's incredibly fun and addicting

-Less scares
    -Atmosphere (It's not terrifying)
    -Dementia is not present in Isaac's story arch. (I have not played as Carver.)
    -Isaac's character qualities have changed for the worse. He's less interesting and more generic.
    -Intrusive, guiding story. This is only a negative because the story isn't anything special, and doesn't feel anything like previous dead space games.
    -Frustratingly boring quests. (Go fix this, oh it needs another part, oh wait its still broken, did I mention you needed to gather this for the same broken ship?)
    -The fighting vs human enemies is very poor. The mechanics just aren't there.

The game overall feels like it was put together to be a blockbuster, and that is probably why the focus on story was added. Even though there have been changes to the game it is an incredible game, that feels that it should be more of a spin off to the dead space franchise to me, than a core game. It is definitely worth playing once, if not a few times for fans of the previous games.
  12. Feb 5, 2013
    One major positive aspect is the ability to disassemble and re-use weapon parts, meaning you never have to worry about consuming items in the crafting of a gun. It would have been easy for Visceral to inflict a penalty on players every time they built something, but instead you'll only lose resources by making objects from scratch, not from building guns out of components you already own.
    Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/review-dead-space-3-243873.phtml#GHp9wf1kqS5SrvP6.99
  13. Feb 5, 2013
    If you enjoyed the previous Dead Space games, you'll be sure to enjoy Dead Space 3. The most polished, well-paced entry in the excellent sci-fi horror series yet. Bringing a friend along for two-player co-op is a blast. Snow crumbles beneath Isaac’s boots, necromorphs are disgustingly detailed, and the backdrops are stunning. Solid voice acting sells the drama, and the cries of enemies are appropriately unsettling. The new weapon-crafting system and roll dodge make it easy to play the way you want to play. The environments are moody and the gameplay is without a hitch. This is one of the best horror games I’ve ever played. A fantastic game. Expand
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    I thought this would be a disappointment equivalent to Resident Evil 5,6 but I was wrong. Dead Space 3 is a good game.
  15. Feb 7, 2013
    I will start off by saying the first Dead Space is considered one of my top five games of all time. There is some negative reviews from critics but let me say they cannot be far from there mark. Dead Space 3 not only meets my expectations but exceeds them in every way possible. It is even more tense than the second and I will say even scarier. The weapon crafting is so addicting that you will spend hours trying to find the right combination that fits your play style. Want a machine gun with a flame thrower on the end like I got. You can do it. You even get little robots that you put down and they gather resources for you. If you loved the first Dead space buy it now. If you did not love the first Dead Space why are you even here or reviewing this game. I am 29 so the top sentence about my top five games of all time means something. Dead Space 3 is amazing. PERIOD Expand
  16. Feb 8, 2013
    Although playing DS1 and DS2 has slightly de-sensitized me to Necromorphs. This is still an awesome game. The anticipation that something is about to jump out at you is what makes this game so exciting. I’m halfway through the campaign and can’t wait to get home from work to play some more.
  17. Feb 11, 2013
    HUMAN ENEMIES you hear that and you think "OH THIS WILL BE LIKE HOW RESIDENT EVIL EVOLVED INTO No, dead space 3 is a good blend of action and scares in one I didn't take the trolls on metacritic's word and decided I need to try myself and IT'S A GOOD GAME, its multiplayer, suit upgrade, weapon craft and a variety of side missions and coop only side missions will keep you entertained for a quite a while, my only complain is the side mission environment is TOO DAMN REPETITIVE just recycled cells over and over again Expand
  18. Feb 8, 2013
    Gun construction is fun honestly I could spend hours just messing around (I have spent hours) with the weapons.
    Gameplay same as any dead space with the exception of a few more action spots and some explorable spots which are nice breaks from the intensity of the rest of the game and really helps one get a feel for the world they are in.
    Graphics amazing probably best on Xbox
    Co-op
    honestly it;'s fun it takes away a good chunk of the horror factor but I treat co-op and solo as two separate games like multi-player and single player on any other shooter you can't play multi-player on ANY game and expect a single player experience anyone who did was a fool. However Co-op is really well done and the unique concept the creators came up for players to experience (especially if you are playing as the second character) brought me and my friend some true entertainment I don't want to give spoilers but he thought I was going crazy and that has never been done in game before!
    A lot of people bash on it being less of a thriller and more of an action game. Honestly it's no less thrilling the other Dead space I find my heart racing quite a bit (dead space 1+2 weren't more thrilling or scary you all know it just want to complain that they were) Plus this game has so many replay option to play in traditional style dead space or hardcore etc.

All in all they did some unique things never done before in any game ever. Many of the things they did they did better than any game ever. Prime examples, best co-op, best graphics (on xbox) best weapon design/ creation, best mix of linear and sandbox and it still gets my heart pounding just as much as the last two dead space games.
  19. Feb 10, 2013
    Don't listen to what the critics say, this game is one of the most amazing experiences I've played in over a year. The story is great, and while it isn't as much as a horror Juggernaut like the first game was, it defensibly has a great amount of action to replace it. The developers have said that this is exactly where they wanted to go, and it's a great direction to take. The story is greatly unique, and game-play is smooth and intuitive. It remains to have that movie like, minimalism style HUD, where all of your information can be found on your suits RIG. The story is very lengthy, taking me 3 nights, for a total of at least 19 hours to beat the game on the hardest difficulty (prior to new game+) and I am currently about 5 hours into the Hardcore mode. The beginning of the game gives you a nice, brief summary of the events of the 1st and 2nd games, so newcomers will find it easy to pick up, and automatically know what's going on in this universe. Overall, i give it a 10/10. Expand
  20. Feb 8, 2013
    I honestly get a bit tired of reviews that focus on the game not being just like the two that came before, or that it's just another sign of what is wrong with games these days... don't listen to it.

Dead Space 3 does a few things differently. Upgrading your rig and weapons uses scavenged parts and new workbench and weapon options. I am not so fond of the interfaces, but the concept
    works. The Suit Kiosk is fairly similar. You use special scavenger bots to accent your resources, which creates its own issues, like searching for appropriate places to let loose your bot.

The game is FAR more expansive than previous games, and has more side quests to keep it interesting. You hear about the much maligned snowy portions, but they only occur hours into the game and the setting is in context and fitting. It's not as claustrophobic in these sections, but the tension is high when you know they can and will be popping out of the ground at just about any time to ruin your day. It is different, but it works. The cold gives new parameters to be considered and the snow fall helps to reduce view distance, essentially acting like the dark, but a whiteout instead.

The story opens up Issac's suit to his face, his voice, and let's you get to know him. He's not a whiny b$%#% nor is he a over the top toughguy, which makes him more endearing. He's got severe issues, but he isn't making it everyone else's problem all the time. His major motivation is still helping his girl and dealing with immediate issues. I really liked getting to meet Isaac. He is played well and gives the game more life.

The weapons are so varied as to be difficult to get a grip on. I didn't like the weapon build system. You may think a weapon looks and stats out well before you build it, only to find out it's kind of crap after you spent your hard earned resources on it. I found one or two weapons that did all the work, but I liked them and was satisfied even though I wondered what I might be missing. My favorite uses a single shot rifle type projectile with an underslung shotgun.

There are two discs and the content is extensive. The new additions work nicely, like the two person co-op, either with friends or online matchmaking. There is a newgame+ feature, although I have not started into that yet. This is a great game that aspires to expand itself from it's earlier incarnations. If you don't expect it to be just like the last two games, then you will probably enjoy it. If you want the first or second game again, you'll probably have to load them up and play them over.
  21. Feb 9, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a landmark in modern gaming. With the series having been branded by several big names the 'best new IP this generation', Dead Space 3 has a lot to prove to close of the series fittingly. Picking up 2 months after Dead Space 2 Isaac is in hiding, however when he is contacted by Robert Norton and John Carver of EarthGov Isaac is quickly whisked away from another Necromorph outbreak to search for his ex-girlfreind Ellie Langford. Upon finding her they also discover a way to destroy the markers and end Convergence once and for all on the frozen planet Tau Volantis. However the race is on as the Church of Unitology has also found this information and plan to stop Isaac and the team from achieving their goal.
    Dead Space 3 makes some pretty big mistakes in its new weapon crafting, currency and combat mechanics however these in shadow of the amazing story, mind blowing presentation and some of the best closure to a series I have seen in years makes Dead Space 3 an unmissable game.
  22. Feb 7, 2013
    Dead Space 3 have a really great atmosphere that fill you with emotions and sensations that not a lot of game can accomplish. The sensation of terror is always present around you and you never know when you are going to get attack. The level design is very well design and beautiful, i keep getting myself lost to look around :P. Also, the storyline go through very exciting stuff and there is also some twists that you don't expect. Overall a great game and a must buy! (before you play Dead space 2 Expand
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    A lot of people are and thinking ''the horror is gone, and it sucks.'' That is NOT true!
    It takes balls to focus on the action and less on the survival horror, and i respect that.
    First off, graphics are amazing! Really dark and gritty. It is true though, that the horror has gone lost somewhere. But it doesn't bring the game down. It's way too impressive. The story may be a bit forced,
    i get that. But it's all about the gameplay and the visuals. The visuals are stunning by the way. It's a great sequel to the dead space franchise, and i can't wait to see what they have on their sleeves next time. Expand
  24. Feb 11, 2013
    I am a die-hard Dead Space fan. I didn't expect this game to "scare" or "make me jump", that's the experience I enjoyed from the first and second game. Dead Space 3 is a perfect addition to the series, an expansive experience built on the atmosphere and story created by the original two games. All these new "features" that people are complaining about are mostly optional, so as not to deter from solo play, and they were a welcoming change of pace. It's the third game in the series and I found myself taking my sweet time progressing through the story, finding every little hidden item etc., tinkering at the workbench till I felt my weapon was suffiecient for killing even the toughest necromorphs. If you're a fan of Dead Space and it's awesome story, you'll love Dead Space 3. Expand
  25. Feb 16, 2013
    6.1 really... 78 critic review score really... sometimes people baffle me, if you were a fan of dead space 1 or dead space 2 you should feel right at home here, i say "should" because before the game released there was people moaning about co-op, your on an ice planet there's know more dark hallways this isn't dead space.... first off the co-op is optional, so if you don't want to do co-op then don't pick it, the second thing is 70% of the game your still in dark hallways so it has the same DS feel, it's still creepy, there's still scares people need to relax... is it a little more action focused then DS 1 2 yea, does that change that this is still an awesome entry into the series... NO... the only downside for me personally is this game has a lot of backtracking but that's nothing new for people that played DS1 (quick tip if u beat the game sit through the credits cause there's something not to be missed at the end) Dead space 3 starts 2013 in an awesome way. Expand
  26. Feb 11, 2013
    While the focus seems to have been shifted from "Survival Horror" to an "Action Horror", Dead Space 3 still deserves a spot in your gaming library. With superb combat, great AI and enemy design and and overall gorgeous looking game. Dead Space 3 is a great game, whilst the story may fault at times it doesn't ruin the game enough to tell people not to buy it.
  27. Feb 23, 2013
    don't listen to the fanboys, Dead Space 3 is good game.
  28. Feb 9, 2013
    This franchise is among my favorite in the entire industry. This first game was one of the scariest thing I've ever experienced and the second one was a great game but I did find my self scared a jump scare or two got me but that was it. This game had quite a lot of attempts at scare but, much like the second, not many got pass. The overall mood of the game is mildly tense in a scary way but there is a large amount tension in not knowing what is going to happen next. The mood of the game best shows through during solo play, save co-op for your second play through. Overall, much like the second game, it does less than stellar in the horror genre, unless you are easily gotten by jump scares. On the earlier mention not of co-op, it works great when you have no one in your game then there is no AI to follow you around leavening the feel of the game intact, rather than making you fell like a babysitter for your AI partner. The combat is as great as ever and the weapon crafting system is easy and one of the most fun this about the game can be making new weapons. If you like the old weapons than have no fear they all make a return. There is even a mode unlocked upon beating the game that is unlocked where you can only use those guns. Speaking of other modes there are 4 in total, not including new game that add in things that make the game more interesting, like hardcore where you have to play the game without dying once or pure survival where you must craft med-kits and ammo as you find none through. This helps to boost replay value even higher which is amassing considering that this games cut-scenes are short and none feel unneeded. The pacing of the story is great if you like to explore your game worlds, if not it might be a little slow, the last two chapters, out of the nineteen in the game, felt a little rush as the story accelerated towards the finale. Exploring is rewarded in this game with not only achievements but in game rewards every time you complete a set, which range from text log to weapon parts and even artifacts.

So to summarize if your looking solely for a horror game then look elsewhere but that is not to say the game is not great. The combat and mechanics are great and work flawlessly. The atmosphere is mildly tense and will keep you guessing on what will happen next. the graphics and sound design are beyond stellar. Replay value is high.
  29. Feb 10, 2013
    Dead space 3 was a good game, best as far as gameplay for the series, but without as many opportunities for instant death, the horror aspect has declined, is it a bad game? No, it's really fun as they have don't almost the opposite of mass effect by going from a 3rd person shooter and have added more rpg-like aspects to the game like crafting. I'd say it's worth the money if only for the extra game modes, and fun gameplay, but if you're looking for a horror game, stick to amnesia. Expand
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    Best Dead Space to date!! Sure its not the survival horror that i have know to love.. BUT the CRAFTING and the Torque bars to unlock certain doors, the Co-Op, the ability to replay levels to 100% everything, the extra new game modes as well!! Wish it would be scarier but overall im 100% happy with the Game its self.. The Micro Transactions are Pathetic.. But that is EA for ya... Milking their customers.. But overall i love it!! Expand

1. Apr 15, 2013
    There’s also unevenness to the pacing between the high-energy action divided by constant collect-a-thons.
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    A great horror game was turned into a decent co-op shooter. Dead Space 3 is well-made but the uniqueness of the series is gone. Was that really the goal? [CD-Action 04/2013, p.66]
  3. Mar 23, 2013
    An impressive all-out action blaster that betrays its horror roots for a lower common denominator. [Apr 2013, p.64]