8.7

1. Jan 24, 2011
    Great atmosphere and sounds indeed. However, the enemies look and function at a hilarious level of unrealism. There are parts that I could compare to Jimmy Neutron episodes in terms of unrealistic. Here you have very realistic graphics with monsters that look anything but. In fact they're so stupid looking It kills the fear of the entire game for me; and without that this game is just a really repetitive shooter with an upgrade system. Not to mention painfully boring. Not a recommended title unless being chased by special ed class terrifies you. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2011
    Not scary, rip's off just about every horror ever made, the gameplay didn't make it for me, and it's trying to make us feel sorry for someone with a bucket on their head and their mouth's taped shut.
    What a pathetic escuse for a horror-game.
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    What a boring, hollywood game, with very little depth. It manages to deliver solid play, but as an experience is a massive and predictable snore.

The sequel doesn't even try to hide what's going to happen, and pacing has been thrown out the window to make for a more "epic" experience. At the start, even though the necros have literally JUST broke out, one of the more bulky creatures
    makes a very early appearance, even though there would not have been nearly enough time for it to have grown (or died). I'm never sure which it is, with necros.

Compare that to the first game, which was a constant remix of tried and true horror techniques, leaving me more afraid of not the technique itself, but always wondering when it would finally arrive. For example there are countless times you enter a bloodied bathroom expecting something to jump out. Over and over again the game lets you off the hook. You worry every single time you enter one. Making you keep your guard up constantly was what the first game excelled at.

EA seems good at taking great first franchise entries and immediately raping them to the point where fans of the first will be unlikely to enjoy the sequels.

1. The very fact that we wish Dead Space included more of its original features and less content pulled from the last generation's greatest game speaks volumes for the quality on show. [Issue # 71]
    Call it science fiction survival horror, but Dead Space does the genre proud with an engaging story; action that's tense, fast-paced and extremely violent; as well as atmospheric qualities that will get under your skin and make you jump.
    It's easily the best survival horror game since the masterful "Resident Evil 4" and it sets the bar high for graphics, sound, and scares in its respective genre. Dead Space is an artistic nightmare clearly designed for survival horror fans by a passionate and dedicated team of like-minded gamers. Just be sure to play it with the lights on.