7.8

1. JackQ
    Jul 17, 2010
    I knew instantly that this game would instantly be panned by critics. A critic's job pretty much only consists of blasting games like this. Based on a television show? Must be bad. A fighter game without hadoukens and spinning kicks? *cringe*... It is all very unfair. Try the game for yourself. If you have fond memories of classics such as Bushido Blade and/or you can't stomach I knew instantly that this game would instantly be panned by critics. A critic's job pretty much only consists of blasting games like this. Based on a television show? Must be bad. A fighter game without hadoukens and spinning kicks? *cringe*... It is all very unfair. Try the game for yourself. If you have fond memories of classics such as Bushido Blade and/or you can't stomach today's overrated fighting games, this game is an accessible and addictive entry into the genre. Every swing counts and the way characters become stained with blood and have their limbs crippled/dismembered really adds a gritty element to the game. And despite a sketchy sound design and a few instances of lag, I couldn't help but let out an involuntary "YEAH!" the first time I instantly killed an enemy by spiking their head with a pike and nailing it to the wall in one clean throw. Seriously, don't the the minor flaws of this game bog it down for you. And ignore the petty critics who cut some corners with assumptions in order to get their job done quickly. Expand
  2. JoeW
    Jul 19, 2010
    This game is fun. There are a lot of things that it isn't (polished, bug-free, well-balanced), but it is a LOT of fun. At $10, I feel nearly guilty having as much fun with this as I am. It's not a 10, but because of Mr. Summers' review above, I felt compelled to try and balance it out. It's more like an 8. 1) The characters are not fantastically balanced, which is to This game is fun. There are a lot of things that it isn't (polished, bug-free, well-balanced), but it is a LOT of fun. At $10, I feel nearly guilty having as much fun with this as I am. It's not a 10, but because of Mr. Summers' review above, I felt compelled to try and balance it out. It's more like an 8. 1) The characters are not fantastically balanced, which is to be expected - the game is about pitting commonly known archetypes against one another and seeing what happens (they could have called this game "Watch Ninjas destroy everyone that takes them on." Once you get past that and realize this game is as much fun to lose at as it is to win, you can truly enjoy it. 2) Dodging is not disorienting. Also, the Spartan--and other armored characters--can not even hold a CANDLE to the ninja's dodge. The ninja can write a poem, bake a quiche, and teach himself how to rebuild a carburetor in the time it takes the Spartan to move an inch. 3) The long range attacks sometimes suck for some characters. On other characters they're awesome. If you expect a blow dart to do the same damage as a blunderbuss or a crossbow, you probably spend a lot of your life just randomly being disappointed because you expect weird results when you do things. Although it'd be badass if this game had fireballs, because that would mean there's some real life warrior that had fireballs, and the world would be so much cooler if that were the case. 5) The weapons handle so differently that I'm...I'm not even sure how you could mistake them, especially when the spartan and the ninja (the two characters in the demo) are like polar opposites. Attack with your spear and you stand there like a retard waiting for a gumball if your attack misses. Attack with the ninjato and you can quickly reel back if it misses, or follow it up with a combo if it connects. To be honest though, you'd have to play for longer than 6 seconds to realize this, so I guess you get a pass this time. The health system being low is what makes this game a gem. If it were warriors just trading hits this would go from being a fantastic game to a poorly done fighter. The majority of the tension is guarding, picking your shots, and waiting for the right opportunity to explode. You know, like a real fight. 6) The spartan and apache have jumping attacks. Other characters jumping would be stupid. Why would a knight jump? That would be stupid. 7) Strategy in this game is different than normal fighting games. It's as much like street fighter or soul calibur as it is like super mario brothers. If you're a spartan fighting a ninja, you keep your shield up and wait for the right moment to disable his legs then go in for the kill. If you're a light class you dodge like a mofo and hope an armored guy doesn't hit you. You nip at them until their stamina drops then you give it everything you've got. And sometimes it just doesn't work out! Random stuff happens and that is just part of the magic. Sometimes you swing your axe, get it lodged in the ground, and that's all it takes for your opponent to skewer your skull with a spear and insta- kill you! And that's ok, because you'll be too busy laughing and relishing the challenge to compare it to games that it's obviously not trying to be. The dev team on this game was daring, creative, and obviously injected a lot of personality in a game that could have just as easily been a quick cash-in on a known IP. Props to them, and I'm ready to drop as much cash on DLC as they want as like as they keep pumping out content. Expand
  3. ArjunaV
    Jul 14, 2010
    Great action and enough depth for a different kind of fighter. The realism factor, area based damage and critical one shot kills make the action intense! For $10 dollars you can't go wrong!
  4. MarsR
    Jul 15, 2010
    For 800 ms points its a extremely good buy, Plenty of fighters and customizations to chose from and an excellent combat system. the gore in this game is the same you would expect from the show. Its very fun to just watch. And expect Future dlc to contain season 2 fighters. Must buy for Deadliest Warrior fans or just fighting game fans in general
  5. ArnoldV
    Jul 14, 2010
    Great game overall. The fighting system is, for once, easy to learn and hard to master. It's actually quite deep once you play long enough. There are some bugs though, and some of the animations are pretty choppy. All in all, good game but they could really polish it up a bit more.
  6. AJSummers
    Jul 15, 2010
    This has got to be THE WORST arcade game released this year, and perhaps the worst 3D fighting game ever. I was looking forward to it a bit because I love fighting games, and am pretty competitive in SSFIV, but this game has taken 3D fighting to a whole new low. Of course complaining without reasons is trollish, so here are my reasons. Please note I played the demo and watch multiple This has got to be THE WORST arcade game released this year, and perhaps the worst 3D fighting game ever. I was looking forward to it a bit because I love fighting games, and am pretty competitive in SSFIV, but this game has taken 3D fighting to a whole new low. Of course complaining without reasons is trollish, so here are my reasons. Please note I played the demo and watch multiple gameplay vids, and I played local MP and the "battle" mode. 1. The characters are not balanced. Spartan can destroy anything with three-five swipes, while with Ninja it takes around six-seven. 2. Dodging is very disorienting. I always have to pause (literally) to see where I just rolled to and which way I need to attack. Also a spartan having a dodge as fast as a Ninja is pretty weak. 3. The long range attacks suck. I really can't say more than that, they are just the worst projectiles ever created. Gimme my Kasumi Ninja fireballs back. 4. The health and damage system is pretty random. Every time I execute a normal combo, the damage always ranges from nothing to an instant kill, and I blame the health system for being VERY low. Yes, I realize this is trying to be "realistic", but that just turns this game into a big hit and run game. 5. The weapons really do not handle very differently, and honestly the characters are a bit similar as well. Even gameplay of the Knight and Samerai just remind me of Spartan and Ninja, and even Ken and Ryu are far more different then these guys. 6. No jumping that I've seen, and the animation, blood, and executions are mediocre at best. 7. The fact that it just doesn't do anything a fighting game should. The controls are stiff, it's incompatible with any fight stick, dodging and blocking are poor, you get disoriented every five seconds, damage outputs are random, strategy is out the window (except for that spam one), and the overall game looks and sounds like a PSOne game. Overall, buy Soul Calibur. It runs circles around this monstrosity. Or even shaq fu, I mean at least it works. Expand
  7. JamesW
    Jul 16, 2010
    I actually found this game quite fun, and very competitive online for the following reasons: -Lots of cool Finishing Moves -if you hit a leg enough you can cut it or disable it, same with arms, and even decapitations are possible -This is nothing like street fighter, soul calibur,etc this is a more realistic take on fighting where yes one hit can kill you ala Bushido Blade, one of my I actually found this game quite fun, and very competitive online for the following reasons: -Lots of cool Finishing Moves -if you hit a leg enough you can cut it or disable it, same with arms, and even decapitations are possible -This is nothing like street fighter, soul calibur,etc this is a more realistic take on fighting where yes one hit can kill you ala Bushido Blade, one of my favorite games ever. -The game is all about timing to pull the right combos, sidestep, parry, etc, instead of who can pull the 200 hit combo. -Lots of people playing online. -SLICE SURVIVAL MODE IS SO MUCH FUN. Hoping there is lots of extra characters and alternative outfits coming on DLC. Expand
  8. Aug 22, 2010
    Deadlist Warrior for the XBLA is a very enjoyable game! So long as you go into with a correct mindset. Deadlist Warrior is a game that brings me back to the good old days of fighting games like Bushido Blade on the PSOne. Games where you can die in just one or two strikes and requires lots of blocking and proper parrying if you really want to succeed.

Of course it takes some of historys

Of course it takes some of historys warriors through out the time (mind you, no modern warriors, play Call of Duty if you want that). All with their own strengths and weaknesses. You will find a preference to the one you particularity like, weather it is the speed or the ninja or the defense of the Spartan. They are all fun to romp through at least once.

The single player is nothing more than arcade mode and bonus stages in between. The real meat of the game is just the thrill of playing it with your friends! The game also has some really fun limb hacking and decapitating to keep stuff fun. Yes, it isn't the most deep experince in the fighting game genre you can get, but it is just crazy and fast paced enough to keep your attention. The game is only $10 and supports Xbox Live to fight your friends (or random ass people) online. With the amount of blood and gore and simple yet almost complex battle system, it is a fun game to play with your buddies.
  9. Aug 29, 2010
    I've played a LOT of fighting games in my time, and really, this is one of the worst. I understand that this game is supposed to be realistic, calling back into the days of Bushido Blade on Playstation One, but really it doesn't have that feel.

Now, the show is my "guilty pleasure", it's nothing I watch for it's scientific merit (which is good, cause it has like none) I watch it to old style weapons used, and the carnage they do. The game is supposed to take that feel, and run with it, but it really doesn't. The biggest issue with this game, is it's control. There are just a TON of things wrong with it: first off being how loose the game plays. Your movements get so far with a slight push of a direction. And since you don't auto face your opponent (a crime in 3D fighters) if you back away, you leave your spine open to attacks. Then even trying to face your opponent can be a chore in this game. Attacks often are sluggish to respond, and take a while to finish. And heaven forbid you miss a combo, you're stuck in that animation until it's done. The graphics are also an issue. Really, this game looks only slightly better than a PSone game (at the end of it's run) so, really, I've seen games look a lot better, with a lot less. Look at SoulCalibur also for download, it's graphics run smoother, and look better. The sound doesn't fare any better. Voices go from bad, to just awful. The Samurai's voice actor sounds like he's recording it in a closet. The Pirate is actually one of the worst voices I've ever heard. And the others, basically just are generic. And the music isn't better, well, that's not entirely true. The music can't be better, because there is none. Now for a fighting game, not to have music, is unforgivable. There's absolutely no reason not to have music at stages. All there is, is ambient noise, and the awful grunts of the characters.

But really, you can get past bad control, bad graphics, and bad sound, if the game play is good right? Well here, it's not. Damage is so much in flux, and characters die so quickly, it's hard to even have fun in this game. Characters like the Viking or the Spartan can kill a character right at the start of the round. One shot, done. In my time playing this so far (beaten arcade 3 times, and played about 20 online matches) very few matches last longer than six seconds. This is not good for a fighter. You never truly feel in control of a match. Combo's are pretty well unneeded. You'll find one that does high damage and spam that over and over until the match is done. With it's poor targeting, and the high damage, it really is a chore to play this game. One of the nice things about Bushido Blade, while you COULD die in one hit, it rarely happened. But this game, it happens rather often. So, what do you do? Well, you hope your spear does an instant kill, and repeat the same combo over and over and hope you win. Really, I'm starting to ramble here. This game had potential, and reading some reviews I got the game, and now I regret it.
  10. Oct 9, 2010
    This game works, there is no doubt about that, but really I just don't like the game, it's not because it's based on a show, I like the show, it's just that this game is broken, it looks awful, some characters are completely and utterly useless. frankly this game is a waste of ten dollars, I can buy tons of better PS2 games for the same price. I mean this was a poorly done clone ofThis game works, there is no doubt about that, but really I just don't like the game, it's not because it's based on a show, I like the show, it's just that this game is broken, it looks awful, some characters are completely and utterly useless. frankly this game is a waste of ten dollars, I can buy tons of better PS2 games for the same price. I mean this was a poorly done clone of bushido blade, I saw potential in bushido blade, but this game isn't so much a step up as a leap backwards. Expand
  11. Apr 22, 2013
    Painfully bad...
    +- basically the game has realistic damage so you die pretty quickly, I would usually be on the fence whether this is a good thing because it requires fine tuned balance among the characters to pull it off well... but here the balance is broken.
    -The game requires for you to find the broken over powered 1 hit kill combo's or 1 hit kill ranged attack. The characters are
    Painfully bad...
    The characters are not balanced, some have ranged weapons and one of them has a one hit kill ranged attack (Spartan), the game essentially requires you do use the dodge button alot and thankfully its the only game mechanic that seems to work
    -Parrying, is broken. It requires absolute perfect timing and it never works.
    -Stamina drains when swinging your weapon or blocking. When you run out you can't block and your attacks become weak & slower. Problem is regardless of how much stamina you have the block sometimes works and other times fails. It can fail if your not facing the enemy perfectly! Like a few degress off and you'll end up being hit without knowing why unless you've played enough to know this.
    If your stamina drains in the middle of a combo you stop blocking.. its so iffy its really unacceptable.
    -Controls are wonky as hell, your fighter does not auto turn to face their opponent and turning around is slow so you'll end up getting killed if someone moving sideways rolls behind you, they'll end up killing you real fast.. basically all about using the bad controls to your advantage. Fast characters have an advantage if they can figure out this (indian and ninja).
    -8 fighters, thats nothing compared to all the new fighting games out there

Graphics are pretty mediocre, I don't know how else to say that this game is a waste of money and time. Even the first Street Fighter that came out 20 years ago is better than this game.
    +It draws upon Mortal Kombat's severe blood & gore, but that does not make a good game, its supposed to be icing on a cake not icing on a bucket of vomit.

1. Deadliest Warriors is childish, in all the best ways, It takes a ridiculous premise and makes it work by doing everything over the top.
  2. The world is still waiting for a title that can successfully merge history with the art of taking your opponent to pieces bit by bit. Deadliest Warrior just isn't it and when you consider that you could probably pick up a genuinely good scrapper in the bargain bins for the same price, it really isn't worth you blowing your dough on this.
    Gather a few friends around the TV and Deadliest Warrior can provide about an hour of brainless laughs, but I don't see much appeal beyond that.