7.8

1. Aug 22, 2010
    Deadlist Warrior for the XBLA is a very enjoyable game! So long as you go into with a correct mindset. Deadlist Warrior is a game that brings me back to the good old days of fighting games like Bushido Blade on the PSOne. Games where you can die in just one or two strikes and requires lots of blocking and proper parrying if you really want to succeed.

Of course it takes some of historys
    warriors through out the time (mind you, no modern warriors, play Call of Duty if you want that). All with their own strengths and weaknesses. You will find a preference to the one you particularity like, weather it is the speed or the ninja or the defense of the Spartan. They are all fun to romp through at least once.

The single player is nothing more than arcade mode and bonus stages in between. The real meat of the game is just the thrill of playing it with your friends! The game also has some really fun limb hacking and decapitating to keep stuff fun. Yes, it isn't the most deep experince in the fighting game genre you can get, but it is just crazy and fast paced enough to keep your attention. The game is only $10 and supports Xbox Live to fight your friends (or random ass people) online. With the amount of blood and gore and simple yet almost complex battle system, it is a fun game to play with your buddies.
  2. Aug 29, 2010
    I've played a LOT of fighting games in my time, and really, this is one of the worst. I understand that this game is supposed to be realistic, calling back into the days of Bushido Blade on Playstation One, but really it doesn't have that feel.

Now, the show is my "guilty pleasure", it's nothing I watch for it's scientific merit (which is good, cause it has like none) I watch it to old
    style weapons used, and the carnage they do. The game is supposed to take that feel, and run with it, but it really doesn't. The biggest issue with this game, is it's control. There are just a TON of things wrong with it: first off being how loose the game plays. Your movements get so far with a slight push of a direction. And since you don't auto face your opponent (a crime in 3D fighters) if you back away, you leave your spine open to attacks. Then even trying to face your opponent can be a chore in this game. Attacks often are sluggish to respond, and take a while to finish. And heaven forbid you miss a combo, you're stuck in that animation until it's done. The graphics are also an issue. Really, this game looks only slightly better than a PSone game (at the end of it's run) so, really, I've seen games look a lot better, with a lot less. Look at SoulCalibur also for download, it's graphics run smoother, and look better. The sound doesn't fare any better. Voices go from bad, to just awful. The Samurai's voice actor sounds like he's recording it in a closet. The Pirate is actually one of the worst voices I've ever heard. And the others, basically just are generic. And the music isn't better, well, that's not entirely true. The music can't be better, because there is none. Now for a fighting game, not to have music, is unforgivable. There's absolutely no reason not to have music at stages. All there is, is ambient noise, and the awful grunts of the characters.

But really, you can get past bad control, bad graphics, and bad sound, if the game play is good right? Well here, it's not. Damage is so much in flux, and characters die so quickly, it's hard to even have fun in this game. Characters like the Viking or the Spartan can kill a character right at the start of the round. One shot, done. In my time playing this so far (beaten arcade 3 times, and played about 20 online matches) very few matches last longer than six seconds. This is not good for a fighter. You never truly feel in control of a match. Combo's are pretty well unneeded. You'll find one that does high damage and spam that over and over until the match is done. With it's poor targeting, and the high damage, it really is a chore to play this game. One of the nice things about Bushido Blade, while you COULD die in one hit, it rarely happened. But this game, it happens rather often. So, what do you do? Well, you hope your spear does an instant kill, and repeat the same combo over and over and hope you win. Really, I'm starting to ramble here. This game had potential, and reading some reviews I got the game, and now I regret it.
  3. Oct 9, 2010
    This game works, there is no doubt about that, but really I just don't like the game, it's not because it's based on a show, I like the show, it's just that this game is broken, it looks awful, some characters are completely and utterly useless. frankly this game is a waste of ten dollars, I can buy tons of better PS2 games for the same price. I mean this was a poorly done clone of bushido blade, I saw potential in bushido blade, but this game isn't so much a step up as a leap backwards. Expand
  4. Apr 22, 2013
    Painfully bad...
    +- basically the game has realistic damage so you die pretty quickly, I would usually be on the fence whether this is a good thing because it requires fine tuned balance among the characters to pull it off well... but here the balance is broken.
    -The game requires for you to find the broken over powered 1 hit kill combo's or 1 hit kill ranged attack.
    The characters are
    not balanced, some have ranged weapons and one of them has a one hit kill ranged attack (Spartan), the game essentially requires you do use the dodge button alot and thankfully its the only game mechanic that seems to work
    -Parrying, is broken. It requires absolute perfect timing and it never works.
    -Stamina drains when swinging your weapon or blocking. When you run out you can't block and your attacks become weak & slower. Problem is regardless of how much stamina you have the block sometimes works and other times fails. It can fail if your not facing the enemy perfectly! Like a few degress off and you'll end up being hit without knowing why unless you've played enough to know this.
    If your stamina drains in the middle of a combo you stop blocking.. its so iffy its really unacceptable.
    -Controls are wonky as hell, your fighter does not auto turn to face their opponent and turning around is slow so you'll end up getting killed if someone moving sideways rolls behind you, they'll end up killing you real fast.. basically all about using the bad controls to your advantage. Fast characters have an advantage if they can figure out this (indian and ninja).
    -8 fighters, thats nothing compared to all the new fighting games out there

Graphics are pretty mediocre, I don't know how else to say that this game is a waste of money and time. Even the first Street Fighter that came out 20 years ago is better than this game.
    +It draws upon Mortal Kombat's severe blood & gore, but that does not make a good game, its supposed to be icing on a cake not icing on a bucket of vomit.

1. Deadliest Warriors is childish, in all the best ways, It takes a ridiculous premise and makes it work by doing everything over the top.
  2. The world is still waiting for a title that can successfully merge history with the art of taking your opponent to pieces bit by bit. Deadliest Warrior just isn't it and when you consider that you could probably pick up a genuinely good scrapper in the bargain bins for the same price, it really isn't worth you blowing your dough on this.
    Gather a few friends around the TV and Deadliest Warrior can provide about an hour of brainless laughs, but I don't see much appeal beyond that.