Devil May Cry 4 Xbox 360

8.1

1. JackS.
    Feb 3, 2008
    Game looks beautiful with creative environments and atmosphere, but it fails in gameplay, full of repetitive button mashing madness.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Unlike it's incredibly exciting and stylish predecessor, Devil May Cry 4 feels like a boring chore.

I'll admit, the combat is incredible... only when you posses the character Dante. Other wise you play as the incredibly uninteresting and unexplained Nero who has your typical hack n' slash move set. With Nero, you can button mash your way through the first sets of levels. Compared to Dante, Nero has a underwhelming move set. Although, unlike Dante, Nero has Devil Bringer. As you can guess, it brings enemies closer to him for some interesting aerial maneuvers, but not enough to keep you interested.

As for Dante, this is where the game shines. Luckily, they removed the feature from Devil May Cry 3 in which you are forced into picking one Style for the mission. Now, you can switch instantly with the d-pad, and can pull of some sick combos.
    Unfortunately, you are only backtracking through Nero's levels, which gets really repetitive.

However, this game has some of the best boss battles in the series, as well as the toughest. Berial was interesting, but the best ones were Credo and The Savior. Credo in particular. Sadly, with an awful story line, the game doesn't convey enough emotion for me to care about most of these characters, and the boss battles I'm fighting. While in Devil May Cry 3, I actually felt like the dual between Dante and Vergil was important, and I wanted to beat it.

The puzzles in this game are very simple, and feel like pointless padding. Especially since the focus is combat, where this game succeeds.

I'd talk about the story, but it's virtually non-existent. Overall, it's a very underwhelming title in the series, considering that it only gets somewhat good half way through the game. Not worth it. Mediocre.
  3. RJ
    Mar 17, 2008
    Just like the older games, with just with better graphics.
  4. Dec 14, 2010
    This game doesn't have the action sequences it claims to have. I got his quite a while after it came, after hearing so many good things about it, but it can feel so boring sometimes. Love-story's good, control are great, but the combat isn't fun at all. No offense to anyone, but I much prefer Bayonetta. It feels much more action-packed and the characters have more charm and hilarity toThis game doesn't have the action sequences it claims to have. I got his quite a while after it came, after hearing so many good things about it, but it can feel so boring sometimes. Love-story's good, control are great, but the combat isn't fun at all. No offense to anyone, but I much prefer Bayonetta. It feels much more action-packed and the characters have more charm and hilarity to them. Pick this up if your a fan, but anyone else should just leave it be. Collapse
  5. Feb 18, 2012
    I must first address a grievance of mine. The most appalling thing in this game is the repetition of the levels and bosses halfway through the game. Players control new character Nero for the first half and Dante for the second half. Their combat styles are only moderately different so it is incredibly tedious to replay the same thing all over again. I find it incredible that a respectedI must first address a grievance of mine. The most appalling thing in this game is the repetition of the levels and bosses halfway through the game. Players control new character Nero for the first half and Dante for the second half. Their combat styles are only moderately different so it is incredibly tedious to replay the same thing all over again. I find it incredible that a respected development team would decide to deceive players in this way. Okay moving on. The combat in DMC4 is fast and effective but is let down by clunky dodge mechanics. Considering how important dodging is in a game like this, this is a glaring flaw. Graphically, the game is excellent but the plot, characters and writing are much less so. Expand
  6. ChuckyJ.
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've had a chance to play this game and let me tell you...over rated! Repetitive hack and slash is ultimately a disappointment. Come on Capcom...you've lost your edge.
  7. StevenH.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Didn't live up to expectations, gameplay is much too repetetive, i got bored in minutes.
  8. Jul 4, 2011
    DMC 4 Is a fast paced, action packed game with great game play that becomes repetitive as many 3rd person action games fall prey to. More than a third of the game involves backtracking which can be annoying and shows how thin the game truley is. The cut scenes tell the narrative and there are plenty o them. There is replayability if you love beating your scores or placing on leaderboards.
  9. Mar 29, 2013
    Honestly, I found this to be a rather weak continuation of the series. Nero is nowhere near as interesting as Dante, and should not even exist in my opinion. Devil May Cry should ALWAYS be centered around Dante. The combat is good, the visuals are good, the story is good, but some rather lame characters (aside from Dante.) A real shame considering just how right they got the series withHonestly, I found this to be a rather weak continuation of the series. Nero is nowhere near as interesting as Dante, and should not even exist in my opinion. Devil May Cry should ALWAYS be centered around Dante. The combat is good, the visuals are good, the story is good, but some rather lame characters (aside from Dante.) A real shame considering just how right they got the series with Devil May Cry 3. Devil May Cry 4 does not technically do anything wrong as it more or less follows the Devil May Cry formula of 1 & 3. But that is perhaps the problem, on a new generation of consoles I did expect them to go further, instead they played it safe and just did what they did before. Overall: A decent DMC game that just fails to impress. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2010

1. Everything a hack-and-slash should be and then some. Sadly it falters with repeated level design and a moderately troublesome camera; but in the grand scheme of things, these are only minor flaws. Devil May Cry 4 delivers an experience that is second to none on Xbox 360, so far. Held together by a solid narrative, it makes your blood boil with every fight you encounter.
    Even with its minor faults, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better-feeling, better-looking, jack-of-all-trades action game on the market today. [Mar 2008, p.82]
  3. Maxi Consolas (Portugal)
    The combat system is still brilliant, Nero proves to be a good character and visually it’s pretty impressive. But we can’t help feeling a little disappointed. It’s still a great action game, but has the same flaws of every other title of the series. [Feb 2008]