7.8

1. Oct 14, 2012
    I would have expect more than 5.5hrs for my $60. Game mechanics, multiple paths work well. AI can spot you even behind cover making the stealth runs very frustrating at times, and the graphics are awful. When you see trailers, tv spots for this game, the screens are not representative of in game. rent don't buy.
  2. Oct 15, 2012
    Im going to be painfully honest here this game is just Meh,it is absolutely nothing special;If it were released any other part of the year it would have been insulted and ignored like the painful mass of mediocrity it is.But sadly it was released in a gaming drought so all the short sided kiddies swarm it and praise it like crazy when there's truly no redeeming factors about the generic mess.
  3. Nov 3, 2012
    This game was so hyped. I was hyped for it too. It was an epic fail. The story was horrible. The character you play never speaks in the cut scenes. You never see his face. I could not get connected with the character or the story. The controls were decent but graphics were sub par. Just a game I was really hoping to like but towards the end of the game, I just wanted to beat it and moveThis game was so hyped. I was hyped for it too. It was an epic fail. The story was horrible. The character you play never speaks in the cut scenes. You never see his face. I could not get connected with the character or the story. The controls were decent but graphics were sub par. Just a game I was really hoping to like but towards the end of the game, I just wanted to beat it and move on. Wait for it to hit the bargain bin then give it a go. Expand
  4. Oct 28, 2012
    5 reasons why Dishonored fails to meet expectations: 1. Bait & Switch; In the initial launch trailer, Corvo Attena (sic) is revealed as fallen icon of a dis-topian alt. universe who is granted supernatural powers by a mysterious zealot with a personal vendetta to those in power. The entire tone of this trailer suggests that Corvo is some sort of agent of darkness, beyond any rule of law.5 reasons why Dishonored fails to meet expectations: 1. Bait & Switch; In the initial launch trailer, Corvo Attena (sic) is revealed as fallen icon of a dis-topian alt. universe who is granted supernatural powers by a mysterious zealot with a personal vendetta to those in power. The entire tone of this trailer suggests that Corvo is some sort of agent of darkness, beyond any rule of law. This brings with it the idea that although you may be part of the whale-infused non-Victorian world you inhabit, the character has his own motivations for killing these people; a grander purpose severing a darker master. Not only is Corvo a silent character, but also not the supernatural wraith we thought. His motivations are driven by in-fighting generals and politicians who stop the game's progression after every mission to 'request' another takedown of some dubious individual. And the mysterious figure whom you are supposed to be servings is display in a series of hallucinations and dream sequences which are completely separate from the games main narrative. 2. The skill trampoline; Within most Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    Overhyped and overrated, this game is not near as good as I expected. A number of issues include a weak story, repetitive gameplay, abysmal graphics, and rushed stages.
  6. Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with a previous post that this game is well in the Meh range. If you want a better game that pulls off what this wants to do go buy Deus Ex on the 360 and give it a chance (though old PC original was still best). Dishonored tries too hard to be unique (similar to LA Noire) and falls well short. I finished it and immediately removed it from my HD as replayability odds are zilch.
  7. Dec 2, 2012
    Seriously underwhelming. The graphics look dated, the music is forgettable, the controls feel jerky, immersion is constantly broken by loading and score screens that require interaction, the enemy AI is simplistic and inconsistent, the missions are predictable and warmed-up cliches from other games. I was really looking forward to this game, but find myself super-disappointed.
  8. Feb 28, 2013
    THIS GAME IS THE EPITOME OF A GAME THAT IS HYPED SO MUCH BUT ENDS UP A COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT. There is nothing great about this game, anyone who gives it over an 8 is bias and doesn't know what they are talking about. First of all this games stealth is horrible all you do is just hide behind something want for people to pass and then run pass them. The cartoony art style is kind of dumbTHIS GAME IS THE EPITOME OF A GAME THAT IS HYPED SO MUCH BUT ENDS UP A COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT. There is nothing great about this game, anyone who gives it over an 8 is bias and doesn't know what they are talking about. First of all this games stealth is horrible all you do is just hide behind something want for people to pass and then run pass them. The cartoony art style is kind of dumb personally I would prefer a more realistic feeling to the graphics. There is barely even free roam, the environments are so dull, plain, and boring. There is barely even a story AND THIS IS A FRIGGIN ROLE PLAYING GAME. All it is that this person gets killed right next to you and since you were at the scene everyone thinks you did it. You go to jail and the guards literally give you a key to escape the jail. After that you try to find out who killed that person. Combat is dull just plain and simple melee combat, some guns and skills to use. That does't sound worthy of a 8, 9, or especially a 10 does it. Trust me you will be disappointed if you make the mistake and purchase this turd. At least I got it half off, but then it still wasn't worth it. Collapse
  9. Nov 3, 2012
    Ah my first review.

Ah my first review.

The Negative; I have to say after all the hype i expected Dishonored to be a far better game. My first major complaint is the playtime, its too short many websites say that if you think it's short you aren't playing it right however a game shouldn't force you too play it in a certain way to make it last. The Positive; I Enjoyed the story however there are ways it could've been improved as the last few missions felt rushed. The graphics are also one of the games best features.

In all not the best game especially after all the hype
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    I was so excited for this game as it looked fresh and a different game to try out plus im a huge fan of stealth based games. After playing this game it was absolutely terrible. Graphics, story and all the characters looked the same got kinda boring felt like i killed the same guy a 1000 times. Gameplay for the game was quite fun but dosnt justify everything else wrong with the game. FeltI was so excited for this game as it looked fresh and a different game to try out plus im a huge fan of stealth based games. After playing this game it was absolutely terrible. Graphics, story and all the characters looked the same got kinda boring felt like i killed the same guy a 1000 times. Gameplay for the game was quite fun but dosnt justify everything else wrong with the game. Felt robbed out of my money this game was definitely over hyped. Expand
  11. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I believe that this particular should have never been introduced to the Xbox 360 in the first place. The most relative reason being game-play, the various abilities and powers you receive throughout the game are somewhat difficult to manage, i find myself using several different powers one after the other, and because of the wheel system that is activated by the left bumper, i find myself tediously switching out powers all day long which definitely takes away from the game-play. The story itself seems like nonsense, all we know is that you are Corvo, special agent to the queen, who is then attacked and killed by people with strange powers, then you are locked up and nearly executed being the person accused of the crime. After the escape, the characters motive seems non-existent, it just seems as though you are led by the other characters, not by vengeance, the story doesn't make you like the characters enough for you to care. However, the game concept is something i find enjoyable, something about a technologically advanced victorian era i find intriguing. All in all, the game isn't worth the $60 i paid for it, not for the Xbox anyway. Expand
  12. Nov 11, 2012
    *note: This review is pending (hopefully) due to a game-breaking bug that I and many others have encountered a few hours into the game. *

I have been fairly excited about this game for months. My excitement dissipated soon after booting up the game. Visually the game is inspired, but it rides the fence of real and cell-shaded/cartoony and ends up looking dull and washed out. I cranked the color up on my TV to make it a bit more tolerable. The sound works well, and the music adds just enough tension and atmosphere. The voice acting is good, although some of the NPCs far too often repeat themselves. The level design is decent and interesting but so sparsely populated that you never feel like there is anyone left to save, just bad guys to avoid. Control is functional but the parkour abilities are great. All of this would add up to an overall decent gaming experience had it not been for a game killing glitch. Without spoiling anything there is a mission that should you do it, you find yourself trapped in a house. When you leave, the game instantly freezes on a loading screen. Backtracking, loading previous saves, clearing the cache, none of these options worked. Many others are having this issue and the fix is, "go back and replay from beginning, ignore that sidequest, and MAYBE it won't freeze again." Sorry, for my money and time, this is not an option. If and when a fix is posted I'll play through and update this review. But for now, I'll be as nice as possible and give it a star for every couple hours of fun I had before it broke. I paid full price for this game, I do expect more.
  13. Jul 22, 2013
    Dishonored looks great, spells are fun to use and I love the story. That's about it though. The rest of the game was pretty frustrating and annoying. The AI is very flawed. Trying to go through the game with a stealthy approach seems impossible. I'm constantly being detected by guards and other things without even being seen at all. Seriously, it will show that they have seen myDishonored looks great, spells are fun to use and I love the story. That's about it though. The rest of the game was pretty frustrating and annoying. The AI is very flawed. Trying to go through the game with a stealthy approach seems impossible. I'm constantly being detected by guards and other things without even being seen at all. Seriously, it will show that they have seen my through entire buildings and I'm not exaggerating. In stealth mode and moving at a snails pace they can see me through solid walls. Not only that but sneaking up behind an enemy is also quite difficult as they immediately turn around and just happen to know you are there. Early on, trying to take the non stealthy approach and just killing everyone is way too hard. Even later on it can be quite difficult. Most enemies just pull out their guns and just shoot constantly. It's as if they don't notice they have swords. Also during the 2 second or so time where they are preparing to fire, they cannot be hit by melee attacks. This makes me wonder why it even takes them so long to prepare if they aren't even that vulnerable during that state. The guards and whatnot are also psychic it seems. If you kill someone and no one sees you do it, they just know it's you, without even seeing the body. I'm talking about in an area in which there is a lot of people. And not many of them are hostile, so anyone could have done it. But no, no matter what happens the blame goes to the player. There are also spotlights in the game but you can never see the light shining on the ground. It's as if they forgot to put that in the game. So you have to look at the spotlights directly as it does no good to look at where the light should be shining. There is a good variety of upgrades to be purchased in the game, unfortunately there is no way to get them all. Controls are also a bit clunky at times. Trying to sneak up on a guard and take them out non lethally can be a challenge. As the button to do so is the same as the button to block. So I will be standing behind them, constantly bringing up my sword to block instead of choking them. While it was some fun without all these things annoying me, what really bothered me is that there is NO new game plus. So once you beat the game, that's it. You can replay missions that you did before but you can only have spells, weapons, upgrades, etc. that you had earned up to that point. The only thing I really enjoyed in this game was the spells. I loved using them and wish I could use them more as they would be very useful in previous missions. Unfortunately there is no way to do that.

Overall, I would say to just rent the game, beat it, then be done with it. Really isn't much to do other than that.
  14. May 15, 2013
    4 Is for the new kind of gameplay bethesda offered us. The rest is and this is the last time i buy some bethesda game. I still don't get why so many people are fond of game like this one or skyrim but this is clearly a stepback. Bored the entiere game, no matter hardest way or not, just bored. When you see the character at the begining you almost know who's going to betray you, you can4 Is for the new kind of gameplay bethesda offered us. The rest is and this is the last time i buy some bethesda game. I still don't get why so many people are fond of game like this one or skyrim but this is clearly a stepback. Bored the entiere game, no matter hardest way or not, just bored. When you see the character at the begining you almost know who's going to betray you, you can say it's written all over their faces. A hero we are not able to just see for few second in a game with no voice, no personnality, no charism is not a hero. Please next time bethesda, let us use your tool i'm pretty sure that anyone with a brain can do better than this.
    You'll begin the game excited but at the end you'll be disapointed
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    After one playthrough of this game I was done and although there were certainly things I liked about it, those did not change the fact that I wanted to get done with it AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Why? Well the best answer is that the story was AWFUL. For starters, the player character is voiceless. Just imagine playing as Joel in the Last Of Us never hearing his voice and never seeing hisAfter one playthrough of this game I was done and although there were certainly things I liked about it, those did not change the fact that I wanted to get done with it AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Why? Well the best answer is that the story was AWFUL. For starters, the player character is voiceless. Just imagine playing as Joel in the Last Of Us never hearing his voice and never seeing his face. I mean, there’s a reason why developers who want to tell a meaningful, convincing story use cutscenes and dialogue. As it is the feeling of being involved in this world is next to zero, you will simply be following orders in a paint-by-numbers plot. I guess that would be reason #2 why the story sucks. Choices are also meaningless in this game. Unique NPC’s that you choose to spare have no bearing on the story. Nope. It’s the myriad thugs and guards that, should you choose to kill, make a difference which makes one wonder why there are so many lethal options in the game. So what happens is the little girl will become more morose and say “Kill anybody today?” as though you were a bad guy, and then, all of a sudden your boat driver on the last stage will act angry with you and alert the guards. Did I miss something? Did I play the game with malintent or was I simply playing how I wanted to? It’s a judgment of the player’s playstyle, nothing more. However, simply youtubeing the good guy ending revealed that they didn't plan two drastically different and rewarding ending cutscenes, just the same voiceover lameness that seems to pass for “multiple endings” these days. I did love the art style and the swordplay mechanics, though. Expand
  16. Jan 10, 2014
    I know a large number of people enjoyed this game but I found it tiresome. While the game is sold on having deep and meaningful consequences dependant on which route you choose to take, I don't feel that's a fair description. The story is thin and the changes compared to your actions made are minimal. Also, being told that you can fight or stealth is a bit far fetched also, I found theI know a large number of people enjoyed this game but I found it tiresome. While the game is sold on having deep and meaningful consequences dependant on which route you choose to take, I don't feel that's a fair description. The story is thin and the changes compared to your actions made are minimal. Also, being told that you can fight or stealth is a bit far fetched also, I found the combat clunky and the selection of weapons unimaginative. I was looking forward to a Stealth game as I love Metal Gear Solid but this was disappointing. I'm not sure where the comparisons to Bioshock are made either?

The final problem I've got is the enemy AI. At one point on a No Kill run in the final level. A guard sat at the top of the stairs, not moving. Even throwing bottles behind him didn't move him. In the end I managed to get past him but it was ridiculous. The AI wasn't great all in all.
  17. Feb 28, 2013

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Precise and elegant systemic design engenders an absurd degree of player agency, but is marred somewhat by a sloppy, unconvincing narrative and soulless characters. [Dec 2012]
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    What is there is so compelling that the lack of additional stages can't help but feel like a disappointment. The game's strengths are a double-edged sword. Regardless, this is still one of the best games of this year. With a bit of work, a potential sequel could be one of the best games of any year.
  3. Dishonored is never able complete that transformation from a game into a totally new and exciting world to inhabit. To be sure, our mostly positive rating reflects that this game is well-structured with all the pieces you'd expect and story flexibility will offer up a unique adventure for every player. It's a promising and mostly enjoyable start to what will perhaps be an ongoing series, but it lacks the emotional punch that could make it great.