7.8

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Despite all the processing power this generation of consoles have to offer modern games all too often want to just funnel the player from one cinematic set piece to the next. For me the very best video games, such as Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex, provides the player with an interesting game world and lets them decide how best to make their way around it. Fortunately Dishonored allows you to doDespite all the processing power this generation of consoles have to offer modern games all too often want to just funnel the player from one cinematic set piece to the next. For me the very best video games, such as Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex, provides the player with an interesting game world and lets them decide how best to make their way around it. Fortunately Dishonored allows you to do just that.

Each and every mission provides players with a number of possible solutions made all the more interesting by the different powers (that are far more than just the usual fire and ice spells so often seen) and weapons that can be found or unlocked throughout the course of the game. As a result it is possible to complete Dishonored without killing a single person or, should you choose, you can simply kick down the front door and fight your way through.

Aside from the fact that the morality system is a little too black and white the main criticism I would level at the game is that it is perhaps over a little too quickly, my first playthrough took about 12 hours, but it is certainly a game I will return to and play differently at some point. This is certainly one to buy.
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    For me this game was a huge disappointment from what I was expecting. Backgrounds and scenery are very pretty and lovingly detailed, but also a bit lifeless, like looking at a still picture. While I get the cartoony look to the main characters was intentional, it just did not appeal to me in the least. Aside from the intro, you (as a player) never really feel connected to Corvo since theFor me this game was a huge disappointment from what I was expecting. Backgrounds and scenery are very pretty and lovingly detailed, but also a bit lifeless, like looking at a still picture. While I get the cartoony look to the main characters was intentional, it just did not appeal to me in the least. Aside from the intro, you (as a player) never really feel connected to Corvo since the narrative/perspective makes you feel like its happening to you and not Corvo. The Corvo persona seems to just vanish for a majority of the game. While the side characters are nice and fun, you really aren't given enough time with them to develop any kind of bond or make a lasting impression (aside from Admiral Havelock & Lady Emily.) While the levels are "theoretically" open to exploration, the game still feel like it follows a linear path. Combat is OK but, has been done far better in other similar games. The stealth aspects work well, but I found the stealth route to be rather boring and unchallenging. Plus, the games overall gameplay feels far too much like that of Deuas Ex: Human Revolution. This kind of took away any real sense of originality. Overall: A good idea that could have used a bit more focus on delivery and execution. I believe people who are new to gaming or have not played this kind of game before are likely to enjoy it more. Gaming vets will only be slightly amused Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2012
    Great First Person stealth game, similar in style to BIO SHOCK but combining a little of the staples originated in games such as METAL GEAR SOLID. Great atmosphere and art design. Too bad that some weaknesses inherent in First Person Stealth Game are still there, namely its hard to 'hide' from your enemies, when you can't see your avatar in relation to your opponents. That's why manyGreat First Person stealth game, similar in style to BIO SHOCK but combining a little of the staples originated in games such as METAL GEAR SOLID. Great atmosphere and art design. Too bad that some weaknesses inherent in First Person Stealth Game are still there, namely its hard to 'hide' from your enemies, when you can't see your avatar in relation to your opponents. That's why many great stealth games are made in 3rd person view. Hand to hand combat also leads the camera to move all over the place. Other than those weaknesses, it's one of the original properties released in 2012 so gamers that are dead bored by the usual fare out there (Cough....COD..Cough....) should give this one a try. Expand
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    Well done Bethesda you utter bastards for tricking me again. Time after time they show games that look good but I very rarely buy, however when I do it ends up being crap like Brink and I end up overlooking brilliant games like RAGE and Dishonoured.
    Corvo Attano is an assassin for the Empress of Dunwall, a city riddled with crime, scum and a deadly plague spread by rats. When Corvo returns from an unsuccessful search for a cure to the plague the Empress is assassinated, her daughter and heir to the throne taken and you are accused for the crime. 6 months of jail time later and with a little assistance you escape to hunt down the power hungry aristocrats of Dunwall to gain information on the heirs whereabouts, take her back and no longer be dishonoured, however the roots of evil and corruption run deep in the streets of Dunwall so this will be no easy task.
    Dishonoured at its heart is a stealth game, however it can be played as a melee focussed action game, requiring you to mix sword attacks, magic powers and ranged weaponry such as crossbows pistols to take down your foes. The game lasts around 6-7 hours which is disappointingly short however these hours are insanely good fun.
    Dont be put off by the length or the stealth focused gameplay if that isn't your thing because Dishonoured is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  5. Feb 18, 2013
    Starting to play this game at the start I knew this was gonna be a good enough game, but when you escape the prison you will fall in love with this game. You play as Corvo who is the bodyguard of the Empress who gets murdered by assasins. After been acused for killing the Empress you go to prison and the games story just more interesting. Another thing I love about this game is that is hoStarting to play this game at the start I knew this was gonna be a good enough game, but when you escape the prison you will fall in love with this game. You play as Corvo who is the bodyguard of the Empress who gets murdered by assasins. After been acused for killing the Empress you go to prison and the games story just more interesting. Another thing I love about this game is that is ho you choice of taking out your foes like killing everyone you see with the power of spawning rats to devour your foes or not kill a single soul (I did I it of sneak killing but mainely not killing anyone) and it all affects the ending. Only flaw is stealth is a little messed up and needs bit of fixes. But overall Dishonored is the Bioshock and Assassins Creed met and make this and hope for some type of sequel. Dishonored 9.2/10 Expand
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    A fantastic stealth game and the best since Thief.A ton of playstyle options are available and are most welcome in these days of (shudder) twitch FPS'ers.Dishonored gives you a wealth of tools and upgrades and lets you loose in each level to do as you wish,kill everything or nothing,as well as anything in between.The second and third playthroughs are far superior than your initial timeA fantastic stealth game and the best since Thief.A ton of playstyle options are available and are most welcome in these days of (shudder) twitch FPS'ers.Dishonored gives you a wealth of tools and upgrades and lets you loose in each level to do as you wish,kill everything or nothing,as well as anything in between.The second and third playthroughs are far superior than your initial time with the game.The story is fine,but could have been more thoroughly explored and a New Game + mode would have been desirable.Though this game doesn't quite reach the majesty of its influences,namely Bioshock,Thief,Deus Ex and Half-Life 2,it is excellent nonetheless. Expand
  7. May 21, 2013
    At it's core, a fantastic game with solid game play and a original feel on a first person shooter. I just feel they could of done a lot more with it, at times it felt a little cheap rather than feeling satisfaction for using my brain around a certain situation. Also, the trail and error mentality of this games takes it to a new level. Constantly forcing you to save to make sure every inchAt it's core, a fantastic game with solid game play and a original feel on a first person shooter. I just feel they could of done a lot more with it, at times it felt a little cheap rather than feeling satisfaction for using my brain around a certain situation. Also, the trail and error mentality of this games takes it to a new level. Constantly forcing you to save to make sure every inch of progress is docked. A good game, but could of been a lot better. If you're a fan of stealthy games, go for it. If not, give it a miss. Expand
  8. Dec 17, 2013
    One of Top 5 games on this generation. More freedom on gameplay than almost any other game out there. Graphics and style are awesome, really artistic. There are so many ways to go trough this game that one walktrough is totally different from another. You have to own this game and play it over and over again.
  9. Oct 14, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player toDishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun.

Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic.

Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on.
  10. May 25, 2013
    Iv'e been wanting a new stealth game after Assassin's Crap 3. Dishonored checks everything off my list of expectations for this game. To bad there's no co-op, but its just as fun playing by yourself! Play the game stealthy first then murderous second. The game is just as fun when you're doing a stealthy approach to everything!
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    Dishonored is a unique experience. Stealth or not, this game is filled with various choices that effect the outcome of the story. This amounts to a great experience, bogged down only by a few irritating areas.
  12. Dec 7, 2014
    A glorious first person experience. The stealth mechanics are a joy and the supernatural powers enable you to feel like something more. The story is original and brilliant. But where Dishonoured thrives the most is through the endless freedom it gives you. Do you charge through the game cutting down all in your path? Or do you sneak through the levels silently subduing enemies? The choiceA glorious first person experience. The stealth mechanics are a joy and the supernatural powers enable you to feel like something more. The story is original and brilliant. But where Dishonoured thrives the most is through the endless freedom it gives you. Do you charge through the game cutting down all in your path? Or do you sneak through the levels silently subduing enemies? The choice is yours and your choice of strategy effects the outcome of the game. It's nice to see less scripting and more choice. The game lacks multiplayer but the pedigree that this game is able to mark without multiplayer is quite incredible. A beautifully made game that is more than a pleasure to play. One of the generations special games. Expand
  13. Oct 19, 2012
    I have been playing Dishonored non-stop for the past week, it is extremely refreshing and a blast to play. You definitely see the Bethesda elements here and damn are they good. This game is by no means perfect but it brings a new twist to gaming that I think most anyone will enjoy. - Story (8): the story gets going right away and I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into details.I have been playing Dishonored non-stop for the past week, it is extremely refreshing and a blast to play. You definitely see the Bethesda elements here and damn are they good. This game is by no means perfect but it brings a new twist to gaming that I think most anyone will enjoy. - Story (8): the story gets going right away and I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into details. It is easy to follow, at times a bit bland and similar to other things we've seen, but it keeps you going. The conversations and voice acting are great and the plot can change depending on your choices/actions. - Graphics (8): The Graphics are not the strong point of Dishonored, but they get the job done and present the Victorian style scenery very well. London in this time period is an ideal place for this game and even though it won't stress your card the graphics and surroundings suck you in and make you feel directly involved. - Sound (10): I fully enjoy the background music, voice acting, and all the sound effects from weapons and skills. At times the sound sets a dreary mood and makes the whole thing more enticing. - Gameplay (10): An absolute 10 here, the gameplay is truly awesome and the best aspect of Dishonored. Whether you want to be "stealthy" or not, you are presented with numerous options and abilities that alter your course in the game. Duel wielding weapons, skills such as blink where you can travel to spots unreachable by jumping, or the many bone charms that give you other special perks, all of it is useful and rewarding. Finding schematics and applying upgrades is also extremely pleasing, along with powering up skills depending on what works for you. Depending on how you choose to play there are tons of pathways and choices at your disposal. - Endgame (8): Other than replaying for a different style of play I'd say that the endgame is a bit lacking. I really wish Dishonored was longer and took many hours to complete but that's just not the case. You will find yourself finishing in 10-15 hours and feeling pretty satisfied after your first play through, except if you went totally "non-stealth" and desire to do so. Overall (44/50 = 9): I am certainly glad I purchased Dishonored for the PC and played it all the way through. The entire time it felt rewarding and I loved sneaking my way to the next area and planning my next move. Expand
  14. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the best games out there its so fun to play it can make you cry.I hope there going to be dishonored 2 because we could use another one I never kept my copy of this so i'm mad at my self.
  15. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is great. Weather you are slaying everyone in site or sneaking past everyone without killing a soul, this game delivers. The story is a simple tale of reclaiming your honor through revenge with some predictable twists here and there, but the story is great and regardless of bringing the city to the brink of destruction or keeping it and yourself under control, every ending isThis game is great. Weather you are slaying everyone in site or sneaking past everyone without killing a soul, this game delivers. The story is a simple tale of reclaiming your honor through revenge with some predictable twists here and there, but the story is great and regardless of bringing the city to the brink of destruction or keeping it and yourself under control, every ending is great. The game changes 2 of the missions every play through which are both my favorites, but the other missions provide there own challenges in the form of numerous paths of varying difficulties depending on how you build your character or in what ways you are limiting yourself in your play-through. If you kill every one and every target the final missions change to reflect the fear your targets have, while playing mercifully will leave the more wide open and easier to finish off. The Powers I found varying in usefulness. My first run was pure stealth with no kills, no powers beside blink level 1, and no detection, and it offered me a unique way of playing that required thought and lots of saving. My second run lead me to learn that Blink and Dark Vision are very useful while Agility is decent and the rest of the powers I used were novel at best, but that was because of how I played. Even when killing everyone I kept to the shadows at times waiting for the moment to strike.

The levels are all very different besides the 2nd and 3rd which share there first sections, but have unique areas in which to kill the target(s). The time of day varies which will try and force you to adapt a different style of play depending on how hard or easy it is to hide. The upgrades range for useful to pointless, and unfortunately none will help the merciful assassin besides 2 to maybe 4, but when it comes to combat they can really change the game.

My only problem with this game is that new play-throughs overwrite the replay mission stats of other play-throughs. This means that that run through where you hadn't spent any upgrade points on supernatural powers until the last level allowing for you to approach the finally with any combination of powers was overwritten by the time you spent them all. Same goes for mission clear stats. You really proud of completing the game without being seen or killing anyone? Hope you aren't planning on replaying the game without taking some screen caps first.

As for the game overall, it's quite possibly my favorite title of the year and I look forward to the major DLC coming in the Spring.
  16. Apr 16, 2014
    Un juego fascinante y la posibilidad de pasarte el juego en dos modos, sigilosamente o darles cara, la cantidad de formas de como deshacerte del enemigo como te plazca, y los poderes del protagonista, un videojuego muy al estilo de la saga Bioshock, eso si la trama no es tan espectacular pero se recompensa con las subtramas de los personajes secundarios.
  17. Aug 14, 2014
    One of the best games of 2012, Dishonored excels in visuals, story and obviously gameplay. The stealth is very engaging and full of depth and care. And your targets actually feel repulsive and evil. The missions are very open, and you can even do extra side activities to boost your scores. You will constantly be replaying missions to see if you missed anything. The story is compelling, andOne of the best games of 2012, Dishonored excels in visuals, story and obviously gameplay. The stealth is very engaging and full of depth and care. And your targets actually feel repulsive and evil. The missions are very open, and you can even do extra side activities to boost your scores. You will constantly be replaying missions to see if you missed anything. The story is compelling, and the voice acting is top notch. While the Good/Evil system works awfully, and missions get frustratingly hard. Dishonored is one of the most engaging stealth games of all time. Expand
  18. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is not bad but it is not good either. The writing and the acting is atrocious despite some of the voice actors being famous stars. All the dialogue over explains what is already apparent. This is no Bioshock. There is no atmosphere whatsoever and quite frankly I couldn't wait to get it over with. I finished the game hoping it would pay off at some point but it was just triteThis game is not bad but it is not good either. The writing and the acting is atrocious despite some of the voice actors being famous stars. All the dialogue over explains what is already apparent. This is no Bioshock. There is no atmosphere whatsoever and quite frankly I couldn't wait to get it over with. I finished the game hoping it would pay off at some point but it was just trite and predictable. The game play had some good ideas and that is where the game redeems itself somewhat but not enough to make me want to replay it. Also I found all the paintings and the achievement did not unlock. I did not have fun playing this game and do not recommend you buy it, borrow it from a friend if you must play it but I suspect you will be disappointed. Expand
  19. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is so epic it the people who say this is repitive haven't played for 10 minutes its a good game you a very strong assassin looking for revenge and the game is so realistic that you would want to sell your call of duty black ops 2 copy
  20. Jan 18, 2013
    Bethesda done it again. Mixing Skyrim and a little bit of BioShock, Dishonored is a game totally addictive and compelling, that looks awesome (Besides some character expressions flaws) and also has a great gameplay. I mean, just the character Corvo and all the things he can do is awesome. We can turn people into ashes, possess rats or invoke a group of rats to eat someone, teleport whileBethesda done it again. Mixing Skyrim and a little bit of BioShock, Dishonored is a game totally addictive and compelling, that looks awesome (Besides some character expressions flaws) and also has a great gameplay. I mean, just the character Corvo and all the things he can do is awesome. We can turn people into ashes, possess rats or invoke a group of rats to eat someone, teleport while flying around, and lots of stuff. Also, we can choose how to pass our different "tasks". Corvo is an assassin, but that doesn't mean you should kill everyone. For example, in the game you have tons of guards that will want to kill you at sight. You can approach to them slowly and slit their throats, or you can do "something" (I don't know what the hell is) that makes them unconscious and carry the body around to hide it. It's a much more difficult way to play the game, but the game promises it's the most rewarding. Also, some missions have Player Choice implementation which results great, and although after you finish the story there's no much reason to play it again, Dishonored is still all about the journey. The only problem I had with the game is the problem Bethesda is always struggling with: A good story, with good voice acting and dialogue. Yes, Dishonored looks amazing but not in the plot part. The games suffers from melodrama, but mostly from trying to have a poetic style, to tell a story mostly boring and plain with nothing good to offer. There are some twists, most of them poorly executed, making the game a little bit disappointing. Also, the fact that when the story ends you can't play it in "Sandbox" mode is a little bit a minus. I mean, I got to the end of the game with only a quarter of the powers unlocked, and haven't upgraded many of them. If that's enough reason to play the game again, good for you. I was expecting the Free world Bethesda so proudly showed on previous games. So, Dishonored is about gameplay. You shouldn't expect Game of the year quality, but just fun to make the game good. Bethesda has to improve the story on their games, but that doesn't keep Dishonored from being one of the most played games of this year, and one of the most compelling ones of all time. Expand
  21. Oct 31, 2014
    Dishonored blends a great plot, wonderful stylized graphics, excellent non-linear feel, and great completion variety to the missions. You will discover a style of gameplay that works for you in the first couple of missions and spend the rest of the game perfecting it.
    I love the dynamic environments that change as you complete missions to reflect the style of gameplay you have chosen. Go through levels as death incarnate and kill all you see? Watch the world grow darker, more dangerous, and more plague infested. Slip through levels like a shadow, making your enemies disappear without a trace? Watch the city begin to come back to life and the plague wither.

Loads of replay-ability coupled with all of the things listed above and this game is nearly perfect.
    The only two gripes I have are a soundtrack that disappears and is totally forgettable, and graphics that are definitely showing their age. Seriously, I thought I was playing Half-Life 2 again.

A must play for any assassin lover.
  22. Oct 11, 2012
    Unbelievably well made. What this game was able to achieve is absolutely incredible. Going in I was expecting to be a stealthy character with some cool powers and some freedom but still fairly restricted. What I got instead was a small amount of tools that allowed me to do anything I wanted. I figured the blink power (teleportation) would be confined to certain areas and have a mapped feelUnbelievably well made. What this game was able to achieve is absolutely incredible. Going in I was expecting to be a stealthy character with some cool powers and some freedom but still fairly restricted. What I got instead was a small amount of tools that allowed me to do anything I wanted. I figured the blink power (teleportation) would be confined to certain areas and have a mapped feel to it; I was however, wrong. You want to get up that building? *blink*, *blink*, *blink*, your there. Doing what you want to do in a game has never been this easy in my experience. This was exemplified by the characters jumping. You direct your character to scale a wall, he scales a wall; you direct him to jump then grab something and pull himself up, he does exactly that. These aren't scripted sequences either, you actually find yourself running at something, pressing jump and tapping the climb button right as you are approaching the ledge. The combination of jumping and blinking made the generously large open-hubs so much fun to explore. It became a game of what are the limits, and let me tell you, there are very little.
    The story is an incredibly compelling one and the characters draw you in. An important point is that the individual interactions aren't all that memorable but the way they all connect is. The level of cohesiveness in this game is astounding. Everything feels like it is interlaced and while the individual interactions don't feel like a whole lot, they contribute to the bigger picture. The bigger picture is what I'm talking about when I say the story is compelling and it is what will keep you wanting more and wanting to see what happens next.
    Your character, Corvo, is incredibly well equipped to take on the world with a few weapons and upgrades for them as well as some special weapons. I didn't feel the need to use half of the weapons which was inherent of my gameplay style but the fact that I had options is appreciated.
    While I'd rank other features of the game over this as being a high point the art direction is a pillar that this game really stands on. The oil painting art style mixed with the steam-punk era feel works so well to convey the feeling of tragedy, amazement and beauty all throughout. Although I have only had one play through I will certainly be having more in the near future. The experience as a whole combined with the notion that my second time through could be entirely different than the first is beyond tempting. Bravo to Arkane for such a well made game that offers an amazing concept and a cohesive world.
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    This is one incredibly memorable stealth action adventure. Dishonored gives the player a handful of fun and exciting tools, all incredibly flexible for mixing and matching gameplay styles. They are hard to pick up, challenging to master, but incredibly fun once dash across a roof top, possess a rat, sneak up behind a guard, jump out of the rat, assassinate him, and teleport back up toThis is one incredibly memorable stealth action adventure. Dishonored gives the player a handful of fun and exciting tools, all incredibly flexible for mixing and matching gameplay styles. They are hard to pick up, challenging to master, but incredibly fun once dash across a roof top, possess a rat, sneak up behind a guard, jump out of the rat, assassinate him, and teleport back up to the rooftop. PHENOMENALLY satisfying. The story is fairly interesting, but there are some inconsistencies and some rather poor design choices that mar the experience. The core of the game gets everything done right: first person assassination with a dose of stealth and run and gun. It's an incredibly exciting game, and a hard one to put down at that. The story is pretty exciting but simple, but it's the rich and dramatic world that will keep you invested for the 15-20 hour run time. There are a couple of truly unique levels, and playing through the game without killing anyone is a gleeful challenge (to an avid fan of Metal Gear Solid). The ending leaves much to be desired, though, as it proves to be sloppy and rushed. Fans of Assassin's Creed or Half Life will really enjoy this game, as it executes first person stealth, exploration, and gameplay very well. It's just the sloppy story and ending that leaves a somewhat negative impression. So, in the end, triumphant and polished gameplay, intriguing world building, but weak and lacking story. Expand
  24. Apr 27, 2013
    The plot for this game is great! best game ive played, recommend this if your into stealth games.. it offers unique abilities to make the game more interesting and even though ive seen complaints about graphics, theyre actually not that bad! (if your not a super geeek who cares) worth buying this game though, the game does seem abit short but each level takes its time, thats if you dont goThe plot for this game is great! best game ive played, recommend this if your into stealth games.. it offers unique abilities to make the game more interesting and even though ive seen complaints about graphics, theyre actually not that bad! (if your not a super geeek who cares) worth buying this game though, the game does seem abit short but each level takes its time, thats if you dont go berserk aha and take time off of your xbox instead of staying in one position for 12 hours.

Id like to see a DisHonored 2 if im honest although i cant see that happening because of the ending but who knows?.. another good thing is that as you play the game, the way you play it actually decides the ending you get out of 3 possible endings.. the missions are the same old same old just go and assasinate people.. but there's always optional side missions and new surroundings that take away that feeling that youve just done the same thing. There's also a thousand different paths you can take towards your target which is pretty cool!
    BUY THE GAME
  25. Dec 29, 2012
    Overhyped and overrated, this game is not near as good as I expected. A number of issues include a weak story, repetitive gameplay, abysmal graphics, and rushed stages.
  26. Oct 11, 2012
    I'm going to be the first to say it, This game isn't all its hyped up to be! It has VERY good mechanics mixed with great intuitive design, but Is let down by a short story(~6 hours) a lack of re-playability and a very Abruptly disappointing story. They make the game seem like it has tons of Re-playability by telling you that you can re-play the game in different ways, But to be honest,I'm going to be the first to say it, This game isn't all its hyped up to be! It has VERY good mechanics mixed with great intuitive design, but Is let down by a short story(~6 hours) a lack of re-playability and a very Abruptly disappointing story. They make the game seem like it has tons of Re-playability by telling you that you can re-play the game in different ways, But to be honest, that's the least Appealing thing to me right now; Because 1.) At this point I'd usually try the game's online multiplayer, Dishonored has none. and 2.) There is no new game+, So I'm unable to continue collecting runes and making my Corvo better, You literally have to start again which tbh sounds tiresome, I'd rather go and play a different game. Next thing is the "Bone charms" The basically useless "mini-traits" they give you never seemed to prove useful, The only useful one I found was in the last mission so in theory was no use to me whatsoever! This game would be 100x better if it had a story like Skyrim(Length wise) If this game was 60+ Hours long, It'd be my game of the year, because the game itself is excellent and I REALLY enjoyed playing it, It just ended too fast, for a £40 game, Your not getting much from it, With the lack of re-playability, I'd say this is only worth finding if you get it cheap, because you won't be spending much time on it, I'd pay about £6 for it in a steam sale, because with its annoying down-points this is a great game that's VERY short-Lived, But it's one of those Turning point's in the Genre that you MUST play before this generation is over, A sequel with a 50+ Hour story line could be the best game ever made! Expand
  27. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is a cross between Thief and BioShock. Overall there is very little to complain about. This is an excellent start to the series. The ability to do things stealthily or guns blazing is great. The powers seem pretty cool and unique. The environment and story is different and interesting. I didn't experience any issues playing the game at all. The length of the game is aThis game is a cross between Thief and BioShock. Overall there is very little to complain about. This is an excellent start to the series. The ability to do things stealthily or guns blazing is great. The powers seem pretty cool and unique. The environment and story is different and interesting. I didn't experience any issues playing the game at all. The length of the game is a little short compared to other games but given the story I think it was perfect. Some games stretch out the story to make the game longer and it shows with dull levels. With this game it is long enough to convey the story without levels that are tedious or dull.

The only complaint I have against this game are the achievements. Firstly it looked like I was playing Dues Ex all over again with some of the achievement names. Secondly some of the achievements just seem stupid to me. One of the achievements has you play the entire game without using any powers or equipment upgrades. Why would the developers put all the time and money into building this stuff in just to create an achievement saying you cannot use them?? One of the stupidest achievements ever. It's like an RPG that says you cannot level up or an FPS that says you have to use the pistol. Achievements should reward you for playing a consistent or different way. Not punish you for using the features that are supposed to make the game fun and different. Additionally the achievements mandate that you play through more than once. I fail to see why devs feel their games are so awesome that everybody has to play through it more than once. There are very, very few games worth playing more than once for many, many reasons. So don't punish us by making us play your game again. It isn't as much fun the second time through.

The only other thing that I found to be odd was the side missions. At the beginning of the game you get a couple of side missions. Then nothing through most of the game and a final side mission at the end. The side missions are interesting until themselves but this isn't an RPG and they just feel out of place compared to the rest of the game. They don't really add anything but they don't distract either.

Overall a great game if you like BioShock, Thief or Dues Ex then pick this one up. If you are an FPS person then this game isn't for you.
  28. Apr 1, 2013
    I would most likely grant this game a solid 8.25 rating. The game largely succeeds at what it set out to accomplish but manages to trip up on more than one occasion. This is definitely one of the better stealth games that I have played in recent memory. You take the role of Corvo, the personal bodyguard to the Empress and her daughter, Emily. As you probably already know, the Empress isI would most likely grant this game a solid 8.25 rating. The game largely succeeds at what it set out to accomplish but manages to trip up on more than one occasion. This is definitely one of the better stealth games that I have played in recent memory. You take the role of Corvo, the personal bodyguard to the Empress and her daughter, Emily. As you probably already know, the Empress is slain on your character's watch and Corvo is framed for the dark deed and immediately thrown into prison to await execution. At first glance, this is a fantastic (albeit somewhat cliche) setup for a good revenge story, but as you progress through the game, it never really becomes said story. The people who framed Corvo for the assassination rarely made any sort of appearances, save for when you're sent to assassinate them and so I never quite developed a need to hate them. The story fails to build this hate that's necessary for any good revenge story and so these missions wound up being "Kill this guy because he's supposedly bad". Not to mention that the entire game progresses in a repetitive manner that will quickly bore you of the storyline. I found it difficult to care what the hell happens to the future of Dunwall and what the hell is currently happening to Dunwall as you assassinate targets. The storyline also proves to be quite predictable throughout and there will be multiple occasions where you will have deciphered what happens next before it's even revealed to you. The game attempts its own twist about 3/4's of the way through the game but as I mentioned earlier, you will probably already have it figured out at that point in time. The fact that Corvo is also a silent protagonist means that any NPC interaction is pretty much trimmed to a minimum and so your ability to care for anyone other than yourself becomes quite limited. The inclusion of a supernatural being that bestows your character's supernatural powers feels forced and is entirely unnecessary to the overall plot. The game attempts to include this character as a bigger part of the story but instead, it serves simply as a means of explaining how you're character obtains powers and that's it. The game's environments quickly become bland and rather colorless and the game's climax is extremely unsatisfying. Generally, when a good revenge game or movie concludes, the targeted audience will feel relief and satisfaction knowing that the main character accomplished what he/she set out to do. I felt none of this at the game's conclusion. In fact, I actually began to feel somewhat angry at how unsatisfied I was with how the entire plot panned out. There's two different endings to the story, depending on how many people you actually kill throughout the game. Similar to the original Bioshock, the "evil" ending pretty much sucks and the "good" ending is far and away better. However, unless you want to Youtube it, the only way you can view the other ending is by playing through the entire game again. Honestly, this isn't so bad, as the game does possess some fantastic controls and combat mechanics. In my opinion, I felt that the combat was far too easy. Obviously, the primary goal of the player should be stealth but not every encounter will go so smoothly and this forces you into combat with guards or Overseers. Blocking and countering are key aspects to surviving encounters, unless of course you have ammunition with your pistol (which you always do). Shooting enemies or destroying them with your supernatural powers is far easier than engaging them in swordplay, making any scenario throughout the game a cakewalk. Moving on to positives, the stealth mechanics in the game are top notch and they really give the players an astonishing amount of tools to get the job done. All of Corvo's gadgets are extremely fun to utilize and there's a delightfully wide range of them to choose from to accomplish the task at hand. Whether it be sleeping darts to silently take down targets in a nonlethal manner or explosive bolts to eliminate clusters of enemies at once, it's all up to the player how these scenarios go down. Corvo's supernatural powers are grandly-implemented, never feeling imbalanced or out of place and they really allow you to overcome just about any obstacle. Possessing a guard and walking him into a nearby electrical fence is always good fun. As is with any good stealth game, there are multiple paths that you can take to successfully eliminate guards and complete missions. It's always a treat to become the silent predator lurking from above, waiting for that one guard to be alone before pouncing. Overall, Dishonored is a treat for stealth-game fans. The stealth mechanics are surprisingly well-done and allows for tons of freedom in how the player chooses to accomplish tasks. However, the story is weak and predictable and if you have never been a fan of stealth games before, I highly doubt that this game will change your mind. Expand
  29. Oct 16, 2012
    A truly masterful title that really lets you see how your choices effect how the rest of the game will play out, the gameplay is just awesome, unlocking new powers and abilities and experimenting with them and trying to find new ways to get through levels or new ways to take out enemies. Dishonored is all about choice, want to sneak past every guard and not kill anyone? You can. Want toA truly masterful title that really lets you see how your choices effect how the rest of the game will play out, the gameplay is just awesome, unlocking new powers and abilities and experimenting with them and trying to find new ways to get through levels or new ways to take out enemies. Dishonored is all about choice, want to sneak past every guard and not kill anyone? You can. Want to just go berserk and murder everyone? You can. The combat and the powers also feel very solid, and so does the stealth, sneaking around feels great just as it should. Taking many cues from games like Thief and Bioshock, Dishonored is one of the best games to come out this year and anyone who remotely likes stealth games should go out and purchase this game ASAP Expand
  30. Nov 6, 2012
    Pretty much open-world, a big plus for any adventurous kind of gamer. A story that is both personal and political, with a dark twist ending that will leave you wrenching and praying for a sequel.
  31. Feb 3, 2013
    Pros- Good story, great atmosphere, enemy A.I. is spot on, the powers are useful, the combat is decent, Dunwall is an interesting place, and last but not least it looks and sounds pretty good.
    But Corvo is a pretty stale character, the stealth mechanic is broken. Sometimes I walk right in front of a guard and he does not notice me and other times I am perfectly hidden and get rushed from nowhere. Game is also on the short side if you follow the main story arch not explore every nook in the universe they have built.
    The combat kept me coming back. It was a blast figuring out to ways of dealing with guards. This is a game like Assassins Creed and Metro 2033. The game is really good but a little flawed but it got me excited enough to see the sequel when it comes out.
  32. Jul 25, 2014
    This game's unique, but also irritable. There are many strong points and flaws throughout the major factors of the game. These factors to me are: stealth, combat, story, graphics, maneuverability, and replay value. The story overall is not mind-blowing, but reasonable. Some characters and settings are completely bizarre and some stand out great for the game's overall storyline. I've seenThis game's unique, but also irritable. There are many strong points and flaws throughout the major factors of the game. These factors to me are: stealth, combat, story, graphics, maneuverability, and replay value. The story overall is not mind-blowing, but reasonable. Some characters and settings are completely bizarre and some stand out great for the game's overall storyline. I've seen better storytelling in videogames. The graphics overall are fine and compete with about any other game. Maneuvering and the parkour system are important things for a stealth game like this. Jumping over objects and sliding below airlines feel great. The parkour system actually feels special because you can actually see the motion of the first person graphically. The system though is also a nuisance because you need to be in a close distance, or you can only climb an object if you press the button in the right amount of time. Because of this the system feels tighter compared to other games. Combat is more chaotic than what I would say fun. Combat has no set pattern and doesn't really flow well. Any hostile NPC can join the fight if possible, and this leaves you heavily on elixirs. An annoying part of the game is it seems your foes can dodge most of your blade attacks - besides brawling with a foe in that, at the same time more hostiles will just pull their guns out and shoot. Saying this, Corvo does not have a large portion of health. The biggest part of the game is stealth. You rely on stealth heavily during the missions, and there is no easy way past some parts without doing stealth. The only real problem is the game expects you to be a master of stealth instantly. Most areas are overguarded, and you can blow your cover easily taking a way stealth for a while - and like I said earlier you can't get far without stealth. For stealth lovers, this is your game. For people new to the genera, you may have multiple moments were frustration occurs. Dishonored is an all right game, but the risks the developers made feel more like flaws than brilliant mechanics. Expand
  33. Oct 12, 2012
    A very gripping game! It sucked me in right from the start and didn't let go. The game is very challenging and makes you examine the environment and enemies before making your move. It allows you to pick several different paths in each level. You can be stealthy or cut a bloody swath through the city of Dunwall. Speaking of which the city of Dunwall and lore behind Dishonored are quiteA very gripping game! It sucked me in right from the start and didn't let go. The game is very challenging and makes you examine the environment and enemies before making your move. It allows you to pick several different paths in each level. You can be stealthy or cut a bloody swath through the city of Dunwall. Speaking of which the city of Dunwall and lore behind Dishonored are quite detailed and add to the atmosphere of this steam punk/sci fi world. The game is a ton of fun and will challenge you to creatively dispatch your enemies with the array of powers at your command which include stopping time and summoning a swarm of rats to devour helpless guards. Dishonored is one of the best surprises in gaming this year! Expand
  34. Oct 18, 2012
    The most problem is that story ends when you want more! Amazing game with unique atmosphere and incredible gameplay. Reminded me Thief series much, and I'm thankful for that.
  35. Oct 23, 2012
    Well, there is one main point you should know about this game. Because many people will love the game for it. Other will trash it because of this feature. The huge portion of the game is made by the side locations (whole areas, that you do not have to visit at all), many paths to the target (but you have to use just one of them) and huge amount of details (journals, books, letters, orWell, there is one main point you should know about this game. Because many people will love the game for it. Other will trash it because of this feature. The huge portion of the game is made by the side locations (whole areas, that you do not have to visit at all), many paths to the target (but you have to use just one of them) and huge amount of details (journals, books, letters, or whispers about every npc or location) that can be missed or ignored. So basically quality of this game depends on your favorite gamepplay style. If you like to explore, look for the details and enjoy the world and freedom you will love this game. It can offer you over 20+hours of gameplay and it is real gem. If you like to play "to the point" and just go to finish your mission, you may be able to finish it under 5 hours (Im not talking speedrun here!) and dont see anything special. If you for example choose COD play style, the shooting is actually less fun that in other FPS games. So if you are this kind of player, you will be dissapointed. Expand
  36. Oct 12, 2014
    Nice graphics. Very interesting design. Okay story line. Confusing gaming elements. Not much fun to play. It was a good attempt at making an interesting video game. However, the pacing is off putting and there are ways to fail in which you cannot go back. You have to make use of the saves, which is not something I wish to do.
  37. Oct 21, 2012
    When I looked the release list for games this year I had a few on my radar but Dishonoured (UK spelling) was not even close until I read a review. I finally picked it up yesterday and WOW what a game. I've been playing Borderlands 2, FIFA 13 and PES 2013 for the past couple of weeks but they have been gathering dust since I popped this game into the drive. The negative reviews people areWhen I looked the release list for games this year I had a few on my radar but Dishonoured (UK spelling) was not even close until I read a review. I finally picked it up yesterday and WOW what a game. I've been playing Borderlands 2, FIFA 13 and PES 2013 for the past couple of weeks but they have been gathering dust since I popped this game into the drive. The negative reviews people are giving it on here aren't justified. This is one awesome game. The controls are tight, the graphics are stylish and the progression of your powers are spot on. The story is tight as well and the characters you meet have personalities. You can't just jump in to a fight, you need to plan ahead or you will die. It's not an FPS it's more like Batman Arkham City. You need to find the best way to move ahead. Do you try and take enemies on or find a way round them. I can't remember a game that gives you so much choice. You have to be patient with Dishonoured but if you do it's one of the best games I've played this generation and easily the best this year. Buy this game and support originality. Expand
  38. Oct 11, 2012
    Replaying through this game is a must. Even within the first level I noticed pathways/things that I completely missed the first time through. So great to see what happens when a company puts so much emphasis on a single player game nowadays. Instead of making a sub-par co-op mode or something they have made the most fun single player experience I have played this year....easily.
  39. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best games of 2012! It offers players with choices and tactics. My first completion of the game was wonderful, but the second and third was a masterpiece.
  40. Dec 2, 2012
    Seriously underwhelming. The graphics look dated, the music is forgettable, the controls feel jerky, immersion is constantly broken by loading and score screens that require interaction, the enemy AI is simplistic and inconsistent, the missions are predictable and warmed-up cliches from other games. I was really looking forward to this game, but find myself super-disappointed.
  41. Jun 16, 2014
    Pro:
    -Great gameplay with sneaking and action and your choice of which to pursue. Also a number a gameplay mechanics that allow you to take different paths of action for the same goal.
    -Stylistically pleasing: while not impressive in the technical sense the graphics have a unique and pleasing style The only real con is the story left me a little wanting. Don't get me wrong, I did like
    Pro:

The only real con is the story left me a little wanting. Don't get me wrong, I did like it in concept and some of the execution. I mostly feel that the ending didn't tie everything together and show me the aftermath of my actions. The whole time the game tells you your actions, as far as to kill or not to kill, matter and give the story a darker or lighter tone. Well, this should have culminated in much greater effect at the end but all I got was one lousy piece of dialogue that left me VERY WANTING. Otherwise I liked the story, even if I found some parts to be predictable. Don't let any of that detract you, it is really the main reason I give the game a 9 instead of 10. The game is still superb. It is fun and down right cool. Get it!
  42. Nov 17, 2012
    Amazing game. -1 point for a short game and -1 for hard to master controls. Nevertheless, this game is great I strongly reccomends this game when it goes down in price
  43. Nov 26, 2012
    Bioshock's "Jack" and Mirror's Edge's "Faith" got together and had a baby. His name is Corvo Attano. This game is outstanding. It let's the player feel like the ultimate spy/assassin.

The good: The weapons, powers, upgrades, gadgets are all outstanding and allow the player to take many different approaches to how they play (my first playthrough was a bloodbath; I have not killed a single person in my second, nor have I been detected). Also, the side missions and power-ups (in the form of runes and bone charms) encourage the player to explore the area and sneak into places otherwise avoided. Each area/mission also has plenty of entry ways (though the obvious ones ((expectedly)) are well guarded, so searching for a bit longer and thinking creatively can be well worth the time), and I always find myself planning an approach, only to see something new and replan and repeat. This game offers so much diversity that the replay value is through the roof. Many people say this game is too easy. Yes, if you do not mind killing everyone in your path and help spread the plague that is ravaging the city. But stealth offers a much cleaner progression, though it is MUCH more difficult. But what do gamers play for if not a challenge? My point: this game is as challenging as the player wants it to be.

The bad:
    The textures can sometimes be poor, though overall the graphics are up to par. The story and characters (besides heir-to-the-throne Emily) are pretty bland (but to be honest, this game is more about the missions and gameplay than the story). Corvo, the protagonist, has no personality besides his love for Emily (but in some ways, I enjoyed that because I never said "Well, this doesn't seem like something Corvo would do."). The real interesting bits do not seem fully fleshed out (Granny Rags, the Outsider, Daud). The real deep background comes from books found in the world, which can entertain hardcore fans and bore anything less than that. The plot seemed overly predictable, and the heart can actually assist in spoiling some things for a mind that can put two and two together.

Though it has its flaws, Dishonored is one of the best games I have played. It combines outstanding environments and mission layouts with an array of skills, weapons, and gadgets that allow the player to approach situations with infinite options. The replay value is very high, and I see myself playing this game for years.
  44. Oct 17, 2012
    This game is amazing! this game is a mixture of skyrim, bioshock and thief! If your a skyrim or bioshock fan this is a must have. This is a must play game for everyone!
  45. Dec 27, 2012
    This is a game that was hyped up, and for good reason. It has unique graphical style, a cool blend of stealth and action, and even a moral choice system. Want to speed through a zone slaughtering and pillaging everything in sight? You can do that. Or would you rather take a more stealthy or nonlethal approach, using tranquilizers and knocking enemies unconscious? You can do that too. ThisThis is a game that was hyped up, and for good reason. It has unique graphical style, a cool blend of stealth and action, and even a moral choice system. Want to speed through a zone slaughtering and pillaging everything in sight? You can do that. Or would you rather take a more stealthy or nonlethal approach, using tranquilizers and knocking enemies unconscious? You can do that too. This game is a true 10 out of 10, with the highest marks in all categories. If there was one small gripe I had with this game, it's that it was too short, maybe a bit too linear, with not many of the promised sandbox elements. Those are minor gripes, though. If you haven't played this game yet, you should buy it. It's a great addition to anyone's game library. Expand
  46. lox
    Mar 4, 2013
    I loved this game. It was like Assassin's Creed mixed with Bioshock. The plot is refreshingly simple, you play a royal guard with supernatural abilities who's mission is to avenge the death of the queen and save her daughter, the future heir. The gameplay was so much fun to me, teleporting and assassinating in this game made me feel like a badass. I thoroughly enjoyed every mission in thisI loved this game. It was like Assassin's Creed mixed with Bioshock. The plot is refreshingly simple, you play a royal guard with supernatural abilities who's mission is to avenge the death of the queen and save her daughter, the future heir. The gameplay was so much fun to me, teleporting and assassinating in this game made me feel like a badass. I thoroughly enjoyed every mission in this game, as well as the side quests. There were a few moments in this game that were irritating: like being sighted by a guard when I was clearly behind cover, but that's really the only gripe I have for this awesome game. This game takes patience, since it is primarily a stealth game. Most people who complain about the games length most likely hack slashed their way through every mission and didn't take the time to thoroughly enjoy the game. Needless to say, length was not an issue for me, having beat it twice on high and low chaos. Both times finding as many runes and bone charms as I could, completing almost every side quest and watching every cutscene. By playing in this manner, it took me a day to beat the game in high chaos and another day to beat it in low chaos mode. Dishonored is an entertaining assassination/stealth based game with a new vision that works. Expand
  47. Dec 7, 2013
    Cons
    -Brutal graphics
    -poor third person shooter
    -overly challenging gameplay
    -stupid AI (overly reactive or not reactive enough)
    -too much combat content which at times is overwhelming
    -open world is not open.

Pros
    - It only cost seven dollars
    -I enjoy stealth based games
    -suspenseful and overall interesting story
  48. Feb 7, 2014
    This is the best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  49. May 22, 2014
    I've spent about 64 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill everyone you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, allI've spent about 64 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill everyone you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, all your actions will have a consequences.
    The main part of the game is dedicated to Corvo. Alas, he is silent, which I don't like. But in the add-ons (The Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches), you're playing as Daud, who is much more talkative. Well, Michael Madsen, as Daud, is fun.
    For those who love stealth games, especially Thief 1&2&3: IMHO, this game is even more Thief-esque than the last Thief (2014). It has a good story, a nice NPCs and their dialogues, a lot of perfectly hidden stashes with loot, and you're free to hide from your foes and neutralize them in old Thief style - by sneaking from behind. Also, the game has a lot of tributes to the Thief series, so you'll definitely smile every time you see them.
    Bottom line: it's a must-have.
  50. Dec 21, 2012
    Well, here is the just of it. The game had something to do with Bethesda but, it did not deliver like a game completely created by them. I expected an open world experience and honestly that is what the game should have been. There is just not much reason to play it more than once and even then, the story really didn't make me care about death of the empress or my imprisonment. That beingWell, here is the just of it. The game had something to do with Bethesda but, it did not deliver like a game completely created by them. I expected an open world experience and honestly that is what the game should have been. There is just not much reason to play it more than once and even then, the story really didn't make me care about death of the empress or my imprisonment. That being said, it is not a bad game. I just would not pay full price for it. To be so linear in today's marketplace in gaming is absurd to say the least. Expand
  51. Jul 4, 2013
    Appena completato Dishonored con livello di chaos basso. Davvero un ottimo gioco, con meccaniche stealth che ben si adattano all'ambiente circostante lasciando al giocatore una totale libertà d'azione furtiva o omicida. Nessuna novità particolare introdotta nel genere ma buone idee e ben sfruttate. La trama si sviluppa in modo interessante e coinvolgente ed ha un buon finale (almeno quelloAppena completato Dishonored con livello di chaos basso. Davvero un ottimo gioco, con meccaniche stealth che ben si adattano all'ambiente circostante lasciando al giocatore una totale libertà d'azione furtiva o omicida. Nessuna novità particolare introdotta nel genere ma buone idee e ben sfruttate. La trama si sviluppa in modo interessante e coinvolgente ed ha un buon finale (almeno quello che ho visto io). Insomma si merita senza dubbi un'ottimo voto! Complimenti ai ragazzi di Arkane Studios!!! Expand
  52. Apr 29, 2014
    Although the gameplay quickly becomes repetitive, and the environment is rarely changing, Dishonored is still a good game - not quite the 100's and 99's others have given it, but a good title nonetheless. The art style is stylised similarly to Bioshock infinite, and the freedom the games give you is Hitman taken to the next level - whether you wish to shoot your way out or hide in theAlthough the gameplay quickly becomes repetitive, and the environment is rarely changing, Dishonored is still a good game - not quite the 100's and 99's others have given it, but a good title nonetheless. The art style is stylised similarly to Bioshock infinite, and the freedom the games give you is Hitman taken to the next level - whether you wish to shoot your way out or hide in the shadows, the game caters for that. Expand
  53. Oct 19, 2012
    Multiple-choice approaches, large levels, great design, fun core gameplay and meaningful decisions are some of the factors that make this a great game. It's not perfect - no game is - but it's an awesome breath of fresh air compared to most big-title games. Best stealth game in a very long time.
  54. May 4, 2013
    Not bad but I reckon the game is way to slow I mean it's meant to be played as a stealth game too the story is boring the main hero don't talk much and you had to use your powers to escape certain things like use teleport since you can't jump when you want to.

The stealth was not hard infact if you got seen a whole bunch of people show up in front of your eyes sadly this is not like MGS game where they would try to phone people to get you and where this game fails to be even a good game on the side note this is a lot of thinking you must do on certain levels.
  55. Nov 2, 2012
    Dishonored, is this years best game. And this years underdog. That being, because quite possibly this game is amazing, but was released at the wrong time making it one of those "niche" games that get buried under the wrong due to the bigger budget AAA games. That being said, that doesn't mean this game doesn't have its own style that makes it a standout among the played out AAA sequels,Dishonored, is this years best game. And this years underdog. That being, because quite possibly this game is amazing, but was released at the wrong time making it one of those "niche" games that get buried under the wrong due to the bigger budget AAA games. That being said, that doesn't mean this game doesn't have its own style that makes it a standout among the played out AAA sequels, and rehashes. No, instead Dishonored is one of the best story-games I have played. A stealth game, or a bloddy mashup of being an Assassin. The game does right with it's free-world that you can walk around while being pushed through a linear area to complete a mission. Each level, doesn't feel like a level, but instead a highly-polished area that acts a sandbox. Take path, a,b,c, or make your own path. This game is extraordinary not only in the Steam Punk thematic style, but the overall mechanics of this game flow really well together. The gameplay may feel a little rigid at times, but that is compensated for with the games ability to allow you complete freedom of controlling the way you kill enemies, and solve things. If killing isn't your thing, then you don't have to. The storyline aspect of the game, may feel a little strung together, but overtime it grows on you and makes total sense. It's one hell of a game, with plenty of replay ability. Take it from me, buy this game! Expand
  56. Jun 4, 2013
    Una vez mas nos demuestran que no hacen falta excelentes gráficos para de genial un juego. En este caso, la historia y otras cosas que diré mas abajo es lo que convierte a este juego en lo mejor que cada uno puede tener en su catalogo. Dishonored. Bueno este juego está ambientado en una época victoriana. Ese sería el contexto de la oscura historia que nos ofrecen. Nuestro personaje seUna vez mas nos demuestran que no hacen falta excelentes gráficos para de genial un juego. En este caso, la historia y otras cosas que diré mas abajo es lo que convierte a este juego en lo mejor que cada uno puede tener en su catalogo. Dishonored. Bueno este juego está ambientado en una época victoriana. Ese sería el contexto de la oscura historia que nos ofrecen. Nuestro personaje se llama Corvo. El se encarga de proteger a la emperatriz y a la realeza. Después de volver de una misión una conspiración se torna en su contra por un crimen que el no cometió y no le queda otra mas que escapar. Mientras transcurre el juego la historia aumenta en intereses y giros simples pero que dan bronca. También a través de libros,notas o diálogos podremos ir conociendo mejor la historia de lo que paso en una ciudad que ahora esta llena de ratas y pestes. Dishonored es un FPS pero a diferencia de los demás es que nos permite explorar todo y acabar nuestra misión de distintas maneras ya sea por distintos lugar, suelo,techos ,ventanas,etc. La verdad que eso me gusto demasiado, ir por cualquier lugar ya que diferentes caminos se terminan conectando en uno solo. El sigilo es como el plato fuerte, podes estar todo una misión sin que te descubran y pasar misiones SIN matar(Algo que yo nunca hice ya que cuando me hacía el sigiloso siempre pasaba algo que me descubrían). En este juego se usa mucho la táctica ya que no podes hacerte el copado y ir a matar a todos a lo Rambo porque vienen varios y te hacen mierda ya que si te de descubren hacen sonar una alarma y caen como 20 soldados a atacar y tengas lo que tengas no resultara fácil vencerlos. Corvo es un personaje muy ágil y poderoso, es un gran asesino. Cuenta con poderes "mágicos" o "sobrenaturales" que nos sirven para defensa, táctica al atacar, tele transportarnos unos cuantos metros, invocar a las mismas ratas para que nos ayuden, etc. También con un arsenal chico desde armas de fuego y flecha, hasta granadas y otra cosa que no me acuerdo como se llama. A lo largo del juego podremos ir juntando plata, talismanes y runas que nos sirven para: Comprar mejorar arsenal, Darte algún que otro tipo de "mini-poderes" y mejorarte/adquirir los poderes. La banda sonora esta muy buena por momentos y ausente por otros. Sonido muy bueno.Lamentablemente el juego lo jugué en gallego y no lo digo por que hayan sido malos los doblajes sino porque no tuve la oportunidad de escuchar la voz de la hermosa Chloe moretz pero ademas de eso muy bueno los doblajes. Me gusto los gráficos,creado por el motor unreal engine 3,no son realistas sino algo mas pintoresco por decirlo así aunque lo mejor sería la dirección de arte. El diseño de la ciudad es mansa y los detalles son muy buenos. Los personajes muy bien hechos. La duración del juego varía entre 10hrs o 12hrs, PUNTOS A FAVOR: Historia, jugabilidad, innovador. PUNTOS EN CONTRA: Los bugs y glitches, aveces los cadáveres después de muertos siguen tiritando. En fin Dishonored es un muy bueno juego aunque a mi no me produjo las ganas de volverlo a jugar de nuevo hasta un tiempito largo pero eso no quita que se los recomiende. Expand
  57. Oct 19, 2012
    Great game. This game allows so much choice. The choice of do i kill everyone in sight or do i try to be as sneaky as possible and spare their lives. Even the choice of getting to you objective. You'll find that there are many ways to get to your objectives; up, down, around, straightforward, possessing animals and people, secret passages, the choice is yours. There are also times in theGreat game. This game allows so much choice. The choice of do i kill everyone in sight or do i try to be as sneaky as possible and spare their lives. Even the choice of getting to you objective. You'll find that there are many ways to get to your objectives; up, down, around, straightforward, possessing animals and people, secret passages, the choice is yours. There are also times in the games where you'll feel creative and smart like solving riddles to unlock a safe. This game has obvious influences such as its gameplay is comparable to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The setting and graphics are very similar to Half Life 2. Expand
  58. Feb 13, 2013
    Probably the best game I played in 2012, I love how the game uses its art style and the story telling is amazingly well done, the game is very immersive and overall a great game.

Only problem is the game is quite short, it has multiple endings but you want more after.
  59. Apr 8, 2013
    The creativity allowed in this game permits a truly unique experience for the gamer. Not only are you allowed to choose your own path in gameplay, but in story too. It is truly a unique game that needs to be experienced.
  60. Jul 27, 2013
    After one playthrough of this game I was done and although there were certainly things I liked about it, those did not change the fact that I wanted to get done with it AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Why? Well the best answer is that the story was AWFUL. For starters, the player character is voiceless. Just imagine playing as Joel in the Last Of Us never hearing his voice and never seeing hisAfter one playthrough of this game I was done and although there were certainly things I liked about it, those did not change the fact that I wanted to get done with it AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Why? Well the best answer is that the story was AWFUL. For starters, the player character is voiceless. Just imagine playing as Joel in the Last Of Us never hearing his voice and never seeing his face. I mean, there’s a reason why developers who want to tell a meaningful, convincing story use cutscenes and dialogue. As it is the feeling of being involved in this world is next to zero, you will simply be following orders in a paint-by-numbers plot. I guess that would be reason #2 why the story sucks. Choices are also meaningless in this game. Unique NPC’s that you choose to spare have no bearing on the story. Nope. It’s the myriad thugs and guards that, should you choose to kill, make a difference which makes one wonder why there are so many lethal options in the game. So what happens is the little girl will become more morose and say “Kill anybody today?” as though you were a bad guy, and then, all of a sudden your boat driver on the last stage will act angry with you and alert the guards. Did I miss something? Did I play the game with malintent or was I simply playing how I wanted to? It’s a judgment of the player’s playstyle, nothing more. However, simply youtubeing the good guy ending revealed that they didn't plan two drastically different and rewarding ending cutscenes, just the same voiceover lameness that seems to pass for “multiple endings” these days. I did love the art style and the swordplay mechanics, though. Expand
  61. Jul 4, 2014
    Dishonored is a game to buy! At hard difficulty, you will need strategies and strealth to make it. The game offers so much possibilities and gameplay options. It's so fun and immersive! It lets you so many ways to kill enemies the craziest ways possible... I would immediately buy a Dishonored 2. Be creative with it !!
  62. Oct 19, 2012
    A new game that still seems to carry with it a twinge of nostalgia. The predictable twists and turns of the story were not enough to take me down from the high I was experiencing while playing through Dishonored. A fantastic game, worthy of my sixty dollars.
  63. Oct 24, 2012
    The Telegraph review pretty much sums up this games qualities. It is a truly refreshing experience, a game that is actually intelligent and where choices have consequences. FPS fan boys may not appreciate its finer qualities...guess some folks prefer tequila shots to a fine sipping bourbon or single malt scotch. This game resembes the latter.
  64. Oct 16, 2012
    Let me start by saying that the further you get in this game the better it gets, having said that the first 1-2 hours are not very good. The overall story of dishonored is boring and the twist towards the end of the game is so predictable. You play as Corvo Attano but it is hard to get attached to this character as he never speaks and you never see his face. If you want to upgrade yourLet me start by saying that the further you get in this game the better it gets, having said that the first 1-2 hours are not very good. The overall story of dishonored is boring and the twist towards the end of the game is so predictable. You play as Corvo Attano but it is hard to get attached to this character as he never speaks and you never see his face. If you want to upgrade your skills and powers you will have to stray off the set path to find loot to sell, Rune's to upgrade your powers and Bone charm,s which are perks, however you can only have a set number of perks active at one time. By the time you get to the end of most games you have unlocked everything..... this is not the case in dishonored, you can't unlock everything even if you collect all the money, rune's and bone charm's which SUCKS. To sum up...... boring story, boring characters, good game play. Expand
  65. Dec 26, 2012
    The versatility of the combat system in this game is wonderful, so many ways to kill unsuspecting guards and deal with the key enemies. Graphics were great. I didn't notice the audio while playing this game. And story wasn't half bad, but still wanted it to be a bit longer.
  66. Nov 27, 2012
    I remember seeing pictures of dishonored in an issue of game informer in 2010 and then reading an article about it in 2011. I remember being very interested in the game. I also remember feeling let down that I couldn't purchase it when it was released and how envious I was at the people on my friends list that were playing it and raving about how great it was. Fast forward 2 months later.I remember seeing pictures of dishonored in an issue of game informer in 2010 and then reading an article about it in 2011. I remember being very interested in the game. I also remember feeling let down that I couldn't purchase it when it was released and how envious I was at the people on my friends list that were playing it and raving about how great it was. Fast forward 2 months later. I borrowed it from a friend and lets just say that I am very happy that I didn't purchase this game. Yeah, the graphics are cool and the combat is kind of fun, but other than that there is nothing special about this game. It feels like I've played this game a million times. The plot is basic. The characters are one dimensional and the fact that the developers try to force emotion on you is annoying. The whole game is one step up above generic. Is this the worst game I ever played? No, far from it, but does it deserve the high praise it's received since it's release? Not really. The whole entire experience so far has been a pretty ho hum, single player fps by the numbers. This is one where you'll forgot you've ever played it a month or two down the road. Expand
  67. Oct 31, 2012
    I agree with a previous post that this game is well in the Meh range. If you want a better game that pulls off what this wants to do go buy Deus Ex on the 360 and give it a chance (though old PC original was still best). Dishonored tries too hard to be unique (similar to LA Noire) and falls well short. I finished it and immediately removed it from my HD as replayability odds are zilch.
  68. Jul 21, 2013
    Bought this because of the hype. That was a mistake. It's not a bad game, but it's not very good or interesting either. It's like Deus Ex with steampunk and without the possibility of playing it the way you want. Teleporting around stabbing the same guard in the back hundreds of times gets old pretty fast. The story wasn't interesting either. Can't understand why people hyped this mediocre game.
  69. Oct 10, 2012
    You can really tell this is an effort from people who were involved with the original Deus Ex and Thief games, and City 17's visual designer. It's the perfect combo; an old school stealth action game with lots of room to explore and get distracted. The universe, characters, environments, and story are all immediately engrossing; one of those rare moments when a new game franchise feelsYou can really tell this is an effort from people who were involved with the original Deus Ex and Thief games, and City 17's visual designer. It's the perfect combo; an old school stealth action game with lots of room to explore and get distracted. The universe, characters, environments, and story are all immediately engrossing; one of those rare moments when a new game franchise feels like it's already matured. I won't spoil any more. Give it a whirl. Expand
  70. Oct 14, 2012
    Second review, after playing the game for a while. My score for it hasn't changed, still 10/10. People have complained about the length but achievements wise, you have to replay the game many times, and u get to study each map so for me the length is perfect. The story, yes it isn't the greatest or most dramatic but honestly that's not why we play this game. Graphics on the 360 leaves muchSecond review, after playing the game for a while. My score for it hasn't changed, still 10/10. People have complained about the length but achievements wise, you have to replay the game many times, and u get to study each map so for me the length is perfect. The story, yes it isn't the greatest or most dramatic but honestly that's not why we play this game. Graphics on the 360 leaves much to be desired but it didn't bother me at all. It looks better on PC, which is puzzling. The reason we play this game is for the gameplay and concept and both of those have been implemented Brilliantly. The abilities are all significant and unique, the maps all have multiple paths that u learn about each time u play. For the intrigued you have the ability to be creative. Don't put this game down for not being an open world rpg. That's not what it is it's not assassins creed. It's dishonored and it's a brilliant game. Expand
  71. Nov 17, 2013
    Dishonored is not focused on length but rather replay value. And I can assure you that after beating Dishonored once, you will be playing it all over and over and over again.
  72. Sep 7, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 3 /5 (the mechanics imitate many other games', the narrative is very predictable)
    Polish: 4 /5 (decent graphics and good ambiance in an interesting- if often dreary- setting) Value: 3 /5 (some limited attempts for player freedom and replay value, but short length) ---Review--- Though Dishonored does possess an interesting and mostly original setting, it is
    ---Rating---

---Review---
    Though Dishonored does possess an interesting and mostly original setting, it is extremely derivative in other respects, with its gameplay closely mimicking that of Thief, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed. The nonlinear level design is one saving grace, but this is largely counteracted by Dishonored's linear narrative and progression between levels. It seems like the developers may have run out of ideas to keep the gameplay interesting halfway through, which may have something to do with its rather short length. The graphics are a bit suspect at times, and most of the NPCs aren't very convincing, which makes an already predictable plot twist even more obvious. Fans of action-stealth games will likely enjoy Dishonored, but it's not very innovative and the overall quality of experience reflects that.
  73. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the greatest games of all time. The ratings for this game is low only because of the 78 plus or minus, mentally challenged people who were given permission to review a game they most likely did not even play. This game is great. It has excellent replay value due to the many ways you are allowed to finish a particular mission. I had a blast, I beat the game 4 times. I recommend this game.
  74. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  75. Mar 28, 2013
    Good investment. I had a lot of fun with it. It was the first game in a very long time which I replayed right after finishing my first walk through. While a narrow environment, you still have a number of options on how to approach the missions. Some of the abilities you receive are very mighty and make the game play unnecessary easy, but by declining them the second time, the challengesGood investment. I had a lot of fun with it. It was the first game in a very long time which I replayed right after finishing my first walk through. While a narrow environment, you still have a number of options on how to approach the missions. Some of the abilities you receive are very mighty and make the game play unnecessary easy, but by declining them the second time, the challenges are quite right. Visuals are good, atmosphere and some elements remind a lot of Thief 3 which is a good thing from my perspective. Expand
  76. Apr 13, 2014
    This game is a true delight for any stealth fan. Not a bad little runner for action/combat fans too. To my eternal shame I missed this game first time. Borrowed it, played it for an hour, just didn't get it. After Adam Sesslers review of Thief I decided to give Dishonored a try a couple of years later. And loved it. Everything works. Gameplay, story, stealth mechanichs, magic and combatThis game is a true delight for any stealth fan. Not a bad little runner for action/combat fans too. To my eternal shame I missed this game first time. Borrowed it, played it for an hour, just didn't get it. After Adam Sesslers review of Thief I decided to give Dishonored a try a couple of years later. And loved it. Everything works. Gameplay, story, stealth mechanichs, magic and combat are all perfectly balanced. Expand
  77. Dec 24, 2012
    Beat the game twice. This ain't no played it for 6 hours or got halfway through it review. First, the gameplay is solid, too solid. Halfway through the game, you will feel like a God in a Peter Molyneux game. Instead of being represented by a huge hand that plucks things into the sky, you are a hooded assassin who can magically appear next to an enemy and pluck the life from him howeverBeat the game twice. This ain't no played it for 6 hours or got halfway through it review. First, the gameplay is solid, too solid. Halfway through the game, you will feel like a God in a Peter Molyneux game. Instead of being represented by a huge hand that plucks things into the sky, you are a hooded assassin who can magically appear next to an enemy and pluck the life from him however you wish. Graphics are standard fare. The art style is quite different exampled by exaggerated noses and facial features. Music and sound are quite forgettable. Where the game falls apart is that it becomes ridiculously easy a third to a half-way through the game. The story is predictable and the world is rather confined. Not linear, but not quite as realized as it could be. There could be a little bit of simulation game elements added such as an extra room at the base to use as a marker of progress, yet no dice. Overall, standard game with little ambition. Expand
  78. Apr 2, 2013
    I was recommended this game by two different friends as it had flown under my radar despite the rave reviews, and I didn't play it until I borrowed it from a mate in Feb 2013 (I'd just finished Dead Space 3 so we did a swap).
    My initial impressions were rather good! I dig the art-style (though the comically-oversized hands seem a little unnecessary) and the voice acting (despite lack of depth to the script) is down-pat.
    There are a lot of things this game does right. The stealth mechanic (and increased difficulty for choosing the more subtle approach) and multiple pathways both on the small and grand scale really show the effort Arkane Studios put into this game. It's immensely detailed for a non-RPG, though the lore you can read in the books littered around and the storyline itself was for the most part, forgettable. I couldn't empathise with any of the characters and by the last levels of the game I was merely going through the motions.
    I did get distracted with the release of Tomb Raider (now THAT was a game that had me hooked).
    Dishonored has heart and I can see why people like it, but if the idea of upping the challenge for the "Clean Hands" achievement results in a run whilst repeatedly saving and loading the game and fumbling your way to a murder-free victory, I'll pass.
    I finished the game today after having it in my possession for around two months, but it was an absolute chore by the end. I hit an almost game-breaking (for me, as I didn't want to start the level again) in the Lady Boyle mission that almost had me throwing in the towel. I'll give the game a solid 7 because any higher and I'd be lying to myself.
  79. Oct 16, 2012
    It is an innovative game like few others, with gameplay away from the archetypes of FPS ever. It also has a variety of missions to solve, a graphic section is excellent and a very fun game that is really important. We can say that this game deserves to be ahead of RE6 in sales, and I hope so, because the differences in quality between a title and another is evident.
  80. Nov 29, 2014
    A very interesting and unique stealth game. You play as the assassin Corvo Attano, who witnesses the murder of the royal empress kaldwin and is blamed for it, hence "dishonored". The world of Dunwall where the game takes place is a corrupt dystopian world with plaques, tyrannical leaders, and of course conspiracies. It doesn't say when it takes place, but it has a Victorian steampunkA very interesting and unique stealth game. You play as the assassin Corvo Attano, who witnesses the murder of the royal empress kaldwin and is blamed for it, hence "dishonored". The world of Dunwall where the game takes place is a corrupt dystopian world with plaques, tyrannical leaders, and of course conspiracies. It doesn't say when it takes place, but it has a Victorian steampunk hybrid look to it and it is awesome. Corvo escapes from the prison he was held in and joins some revolutionary movement that wants to take take down the corrupt leader and put empresses daughter Emily Kaldwin on the throne. Most of the characters are very boring and don't show any emotion at all, except for Emily of course. Every time your told to go assassinate some bad guy, sure you may know why, but the bad guy doesn't ever come off as truly evil so there doesn't feel like any true motivation to kill. I wish there where more cool villains in games these days like Vaas and Handsome Jack. There is a plot twist towards the end, you can see it from a mile away. While the story has some problems, the most important part of any game got the most love here, which is the gameplay. The game takes place over 9 different missions, and each one is a mini sandbox. They are fully explorable with no invisible walls that I could find and the only thing stopping you being the laws of physics. You are tasked with different objectives within each level, and there all very diverse. There's tons of different ways to approach these objectives which gives the game a lot of replay value. You can run in and stab and shoot every guy, or freeze time and just walk through, or set spike traps in specific places for enemies to walk into, or teleport all over the place to sneak around them, there is so much diversity. How much fun you'll have depends on how creative you are. And I like that the alternate endings and the way the story plays out depends on your actions in the gameplay itself rather than just pressing one button or another in a cutscenes like in other games. At the end of each mission you are ranked with either low of high chaos. If you set off alarms and stab every throat you see, you get high chaos, but play it stealthy and spare enough lives and keep it quiet, you will get low chaos. I mostly played stealthy but every once in a while got in a bloody sword fight because stealth was too tricky, but still got low chaos overall. No matter which way you play, the game will still challenge you. Big sword fights are frantic and tough, but sneaking around is also nerve wracking and can be broken with one little slip. At times the game can be a bit frustrating. A lot of times I would be trying to be stealthy and guys would come running after me and I had no way of knowing how I got caught. But god the most part it's a legitimate challenge, unlike most games these days. I didn't come across any glitches in my playthrough, and the graphics are very unique. Some people say this game has ugly graphics, we'll duh it's not trying to look photorealistic. It has a unique art style that goes with the steampunk world. The game also has great sound design, the weapons and magical powers have cool sound effects when you use them. The city itself has these sound of steam machines and metal clanking and buzzing sounds that really give it that industrial feel and it sounds awesome. I really wish there was there was more interesting enemies to fight. Most of the time you'll just be confronted with boring guards, but there are also infected zombie like people and other assassins who can teleport. The only stand out enemy is the stilt walkers as they are big scary and challenging to get around. If they see you prepare for a pain of a fight. If you like stealth games, then this is certainly a must have for it's stellar gameplay, after all that's the most important part. It's something unique, refreshing, and original and I would love to see a sequel and this being turned into a franchise. There's a lot more I want to learn about this unique world. Just don't have high expectations for the plot, I do hope they make a better plot if there is a sequel. Expand
  81. Oct 17, 2012
    Good - but very over-rated. Most reviewers have wet their pants at this game. Many reviews claiming you will play it through 4-5 times just to see what happens if you play differently. Well I won't be. Any one thinking about buying - wait till a price drop. It's worth playing but I feel disappointed having paid full price. Had it 5 days and nearly finished. Will be trading it forGood - but very over-rated. Most reviewers have wet their pants at this game. Many reviews claiming you will play it through 4-5 times just to see what happens if you play differently. Well I won't be. Any one thinking about buying - wait till a price drop. It's worth playing but I feel disappointed having paid full price. Had it 5 days and nearly finished. Will be trading it for Borderlands 2 any day now. Expand
  82. Oct 9, 2012
    This is the game we all wanted an unique game with great art style graphic great AI and the best of all unique gameplay you can play like you want if you want sneaky you can you want action/FPS you can and thats why this game rules and probably win some game of the year award becaouse like CVG said its the best game in this generation.A perfect 10 from me.
    P.S Sorry for bad english im in a hurry
  83. Jan 7, 2013
    This game is an innovative marvel and should be rated in the 90's on metacrtic. I haven't seen a better game even close this year. I love that you can play this game in a multitued of ways from pure stealth, to pure guns ablazin, to a combination platter of the two. As well, the overall artistic style is so subtletly done to perfection with hints of comic book, steampunk, and highThis game is an innovative marvel and should be rated in the 90's on metacrtic. I haven't seen a better game even close this year. I love that you can play this game in a multitued of ways from pure stealth, to pure guns ablazin, to a combination platter of the two. As well, the overall artistic style is so subtletly done to perfection with hints of comic book, steampunk, and high saturation. None of it is in your face and is all maintained at an exquisite. Suffice it to say, I love this game. Expand
  84. Oct 21, 2012
    Dishonored, is, in short, both one of the best games of the year and biggest disappointments. Rarely has a game left me feeling so conflicted. I love stealth, using big open levels that can be structured and fun rather than the more better-sounding but shallower open-world games, that are really quite linear. Dishonored offers both of these, with a kind of Bioshock 1st-person feel,Dishonored, is, in short, both one of the best games of the year and biggest disappointments. Rarely has a game left me feeling so conflicted. I love stealth, using big open levels that can be structured and fun rather than the more better-sounding but shallower open-world games, that are really quite linear. Dishonored offers both of these, with a kind of Bioshock 1st-person feel, whilst channelling Assassin's Creed, in Hitman-esque open levels, by way of Half-Life 2's City 17. So why did it leave me feeling rather flat? Firstly, the world of Dunwall is a really depressing mix of Steampunk and Victorian England, ravaged by plague. You are constantly reminded how dire the situation is, yet I never felt any connection to it, compassion or, well, anything on an emotional level. This is mainly down to the rather dry writing, flat, emotionless (with one or two exceptions ) voice acting, and cardboard characters so reminiscent of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. As a result any feeling of heartbreak at the Empress' death, anger at your own downfall and thus motivation for justice and revenge quickly dissipates into a void of dreary numbness. As someone who doesn't care about graphics, even I was rather taken aback at how poor the visuals are. Whilst the game looks quite painterly from a distance, up close the textures are muddy low-res and ugly. Also the character models look dated and why is it every single maid/courtesan is exactly the same? Pure laziness, which further breaks immersion and emotion.
    The gameplay itself works rather well, giving you multiple paths through each level, save for a few annoying invisible walls, options on ghosting, or taking out enemies in very, or non-violent ways, and gives you various powers to play with. However to really get the most out of these you have to wait a while to get enough to start combining them in fun and creative ways, begging the question of why no NG+ was implemented. Also the AI is inconsistent and not smart enough to really take great delight in outsmarting or toying with them which is crucial in a stealth game. The Audio of the Ai is particularly bad.

Dishonored ultimately is a victim of it's own expectation. With the talents of people who worked on Half-Life, Deus Ex and Bioshock, I was expecting better. What we got was a game that clearly has grand and noble pretensions, and in a world of shallow, linear, 'cinematic' franchise unit-shifters for people with ADHD, I desperately want to love it and scream at you to buy it. Yet I I'm left feeling how I sometimes do after being on a diet of Hollywood movies, then watching a foreign art-house film with subtitles: I admire it and am glad I saw it, but can't say I honestly enjoyed it.
  85. Oct 17, 2012
    Depends on the gameplay style, Dishonored shows its real values. If run & gun COD style then probably you would complete the game within 8hrs or less and feel some disappointment about its length. But Dishonored is not to be played like that - this title shows its superb qualities with a slower, stealthy walkthrough, while forcing you to plan every step in advance and offering manyDepends on the gameplay style, Dishonored shows its real values. If run & gun COD style then probably you would complete the game within 8hrs or less and feel some disappointment about its length. But Dishonored is not to be played like that - this title shows its superb qualities with a slower, stealthy walkthrough, while forcing you to plan every step in advance and offering many benefits coming from exploration - above all, you collect the runes & amulets which are a key issue to gain/improve your special assassin skills, furthermore you can find money and many valuable items, which can be spent for equipment/weaponry upgrades afterwards. The stealth gamplay itself is exciting, challenging and can be fulfilled with thrilling encounters with your foes - here there are many ways to get rid of your enemies, with creative kills and bodies disposal afterwards. Obviously you can go into open fights, but to act like a "ghost", kill or knock senseless each foe step by step and remove/dispose their bodies afterwards is much more fun and challenging. Ive clocked more than 10hrs in the game and currently Im in the 4th mission; For sure one of the best games of 2012 Expand
  86. Dec 11, 2014
    This is one of Bethesda's lesser known releases, but should not be missed. While it does not have the large open worlds that titles like Skyrim and Fallout and is more linear, it still offers a decent sized world to explore and decisions to make. The story and environment are very interesting and enjoyable, though some of the characters lack substance and are easily forgettable. TheThis is one of Bethesda's lesser known releases, but should not be missed. While it does not have the large open worlds that titles like Skyrim and Fallout and is more linear, it still offers a decent sized world to explore and decisions to make. The story and environment are very interesting and enjoyable, though some of the characters lack substance and are easily forgettable. The mechanics of the game are unique and once you get the hang of them become very fun with a wide range of options ranging from stealth to full out assault. Expand
  87. Oct 20, 2012
    I am here really to only make one thing perfectly clear. This game is NOT short. If you finish this game in 7 hours then you didnt play the game, you RUSHED the game, skipped entirely sequences and quests and went straight for the finish. I spent a health 40 hours in the game so far, but that is because i AM exploring, i AM being stealthy, i AM looking at the scenery. This isnt a race toI am here really to only make one thing perfectly clear. This game is NOT short. If you finish this game in 7 hours then you didnt play the game, you RUSHED the game, skipped entirely sequences and quests and went straight for the finish. I spent a health 40 hours in the game so far, but that is because i AM exploring, i AM being stealthy, i AM looking at the scenery. This isnt a race to see who can finish the game first. It's short because people are doing speedruns in 4 hours. /rolleyes. Expand
  88. Oct 13, 2012
    It is a rare sight in this day and age to have a game that gives the decision making to the player. If you are an action nut and killing everything in your path is your style Dishonored lets you do it, if you are a stealthy assassin who's goals are to inflict little to no casualties, Dishonored lets you do it. I have only had my hands on Dishonored for a few hours but in that time I seeIt is a rare sight in this day and age to have a game that gives the decision making to the player. If you are an action nut and killing everything in your path is your style Dishonored lets you do it, if you are a stealthy assassin who's goals are to inflict little to no casualties, Dishonored lets you do it. I have only had my hands on Dishonored for a few hours but in that time I see how well Arkane Studios has done with this game. The control are solid, the stealth system has only a few flaws to mar an almost perfect system, and the action is intense. Dishonored is definitely a sleeper hit for this year and is going to be the game that will be given credit for Arkane Studios success with future games. The only small issue I have with the game is the graphical design the developers took. Looking back on trailers and reading article about the game it gave off a vibe of gritty and dark that would benefit from a very realistic graphical approach, unfortunately it comes up short in these aspects, the graphics mimic more of a Bioshock look and some of the colors in game are too bright and eye catching for a game based in a town plagued by corruption and a plague. Overall the game is not something that most people should pass up on, and I can't wait to see the work that Arkane Studios will be putting out form here on out. Expand
  89. Nov 1, 2012
    DISHONORED is great but not as i thought before playing it.there are so many ways to kill the enemies,various upgrades and challenges but the story is not great as gameplay.game in the beginning is not so attractive(i played on hard) because you are weak and stoppable but after 2 or 3 upgrade you are a terminator with unstoppable powers.game locations are multi-layers but small(my ideaDISHONORED is great but not as i thought before playing it.there are so many ways to kill the enemies,various upgrades and challenges but the story is not great as gameplay.game in the beginning is not so attractive(i played on hard) because you are weak and stoppable but after 2 or 3 upgrade you are a terminator with unstoppable powers.game locations are multi-layers but small(my idea bad).
    graphic details are good but the textures are middle quality(why?i did not know).
    enemies AI is so-so,sometimes challenge you and sometimes just watch you killing them.
    with high&low it is great at total but the best thing is it`s satisfying gameplay elements.
  90. Nov 6, 2012
    Overall, I enjoyed this game very much. The graphics are nothing to write home about, however its still a lovely looking game. The gameplay is fun and fairly unique. Trying to do a mission the stealth way can be frustrating at times and left me (more often than not) just slaying everyone in my path. But its the stealth challenge that gives it at least a little bit of replay value. OverallOverall, I enjoyed this game very much. The graphics are nothing to write home about, however its still a lovely looking game. The gameplay is fun and fairly unique. Trying to do a mission the stealth way can be frustrating at times and left me (more often than not) just slaying everyone in my path. But its the stealth challenge that gives it at least a little bit of replay value. Overall I enjoyed the gameplay as well as the story, but in the long run, the replay value just isn't there for me. Solid game though and worth a purchase if you enjoy a good story driven game. Expand
  91. Dec 4, 2012
    I was to be honest disappointed with this game. I was expecting to keep me interested while attempting to sneak through the game. However i got bored and just ran through the game towards the end because i simply wanted to finish the game.
  92. Jul 22, 2013
    Dishonored looks great, spells are fun to use and I love the story. That's about it though. The rest of the game was pretty frustrating and annoying. The AI is very flawed. Trying to go through the game with a stealthy approach seems impossible. I'm constantly being detected by guards and other things without even being seen at all. Seriously, it will show that they have seen myDishonored looks great, spells are fun to use and I love the story. That's about it though. The rest of the game was pretty frustrating and annoying. The AI is very flawed. Trying to go through the game with a stealthy approach seems impossible. I'm constantly being detected by guards and other things without even being seen at all. Seriously, it will show that they have seen my through entire buildings and I'm not exaggerating. In stealth mode and moving at a snails pace they can see me through solid walls. Not only that but sneaking up behind an enemy is also quite difficult as they immediately turn around and just happen to know you are there. Early on, trying to take the non stealthy approach and just killing everyone is way too hard. Even later on it can be quite difficult. Most enemies just pull out their guns and just shoot constantly. It's as if they don't notice they have swords. Also during the 2 second or so time where they are preparing to fire, they cannot be hit by melee attacks. This makes me wonder why it even takes them so long to prepare if they aren't even that vulnerable during that state. The guards and whatnot are also psychic it seems. If you kill someone and no one sees you do it, they just know it's you, without even seeing the body. I'm talking about in an area in which there is a lot of people. And not many of them are hostile, so anyone could have done it. But no, no matter what happens the blame goes to the player. There are also spotlights in the game but you can never see the light shining on the ground. It's as if they forgot to put that in the game. So you have to look at the spotlights directly as it does no good to look at where the light should be shining. There is a good variety of upgrades to be purchased in the game, unfortunately there is no way to get them all. Controls are also a bit clunky at times. Trying to sneak up on a guard and take them out non lethally can be a challenge. As the button to do so is the same as the button to block. So I will be standing behind them, constantly bringing up my sword to block instead of choking them. While it was some fun without all these things annoying me, what really bothered me is that there is NO new game plus. So once you beat the game, that's it. You can replay missions that you did before but you can only have spells, weapons, upgrades, etc. that you had earned up to that point. The only thing I really enjoyed in this game was the spells. I loved using them and wish I could use them more as they would be very useful in previous missions. Unfortunately there is no way to do that.

Overall, I would say to just rent the game, beat it, then be done with it. Really isn't much to do other than that.
  93. Mar 26, 2013
    A perfect game, If you wished you had Assassin's Creed type assassinations and excellent fps type controls in one game, Then Dishonored is for you. It expertly mashes a beautiful story with fun combat and worth it upgrades that so few games have. The only problem is that there is not enough stealth upgrades, Sure you get a silent walking upgrade, But i would like some better sword upgradesA perfect game, If you wished you had Assassin's Creed type assassinations and excellent fps type controls in one game, Then Dishonored is for you. It expertly mashes a beautiful story with fun combat and worth it upgrades that so few games have. The only problem is that there is not enough stealth upgrades, Sure you get a silent walking upgrade, But i would like some better sword upgrades for stealth. Expand
  94. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a massive fan of the stealth genre but dishonoured was just so good at what it does its just well worth pay...the only reason why this isn't a 10 is that there was quite a fair amount of bugs in my playthrough of the game Expand
  95. Dec 31, 2013
    Dishonored lets gamers play how they want. One can be stealthy and never kill a soul, or violently destroy whatever stands in their path (although this is generally discouraged). Dishonored's levels are vast puzzles with the end goal being to eliminate the target. The story is interesting although nothing too original, but the steampunk world is incredibly immerses the player. The gameDishonored lets gamers play how they want. One can be stealthy and never kill a soul, or violently destroy whatever stands in their path (although this is generally discouraged). Dishonored's levels are vast puzzles with the end goal being to eliminate the target. The story is interesting although nothing too original, but the steampunk world is incredibly immerses the player. The game brings the stealth genre to new heights and should be played by anyone who is even slightly interested. Expand
  96. Oct 12, 2012
    This game would get a 10 out of 10 if it wasn't so short. Simple amazing and fun. Brutal, brutal kills! Finished the game in 6 hours give or take so that was really disappointing.

I have never played a game twice but this one has so much replay value. Great game, good job.
  97. Mar 10, 2013
    it could have been better, specially from a game that is an entire copy from bioshock and has seen many games that used it recipe (like singularity, which is even better than DH).
  98. Nov 11, 2012
    *note: This review is pending (hopefully) due to a game-breaking bug that I and many others have encountered a few hours into the game. *

I have been fairly excited about this game for months. My excitement dissipated soon after booting up the game. Visually the game is inspired, but it rides the fence of real and cell-shaded/cartoony and ends up looking dull and washed out. I cranked the color up on my TV to make it a bit more tolerable. The sound works well, and the music adds just enough tension and atmosphere. The voice acting is good, although some of the NPCs far too often repeat themselves. The level design is decent and interesting but so sparsely populated that you never feel like there is anyone left to save, just bad guys to avoid. Control is functional but the parkour abilities are great. All of this would add up to an overall decent gaming experience had it not been for a game killing glitch. Without spoiling anything there is a mission that should you do it, you find yourself trapped in a house. When you leave, the game instantly freezes on a loading screen. Backtracking, loading previous saves, clearing the cache, none of these options worked. Many others are having this issue and the fix is, "go back and replay from beginning, ignore that sidequest, and MAYBE it won't freeze again." Sorry, for my money and time, this is not an option. If and when a fix is posted I'll play through and update this review. But for now, I'll be as nice as possible and give it a star for every couple hours of fun I had before it broke. I paid full price for this game, I do expect more.
  99. Oct 12, 2012
    I am in love with this game. It's soooo beautiful and the world is so well made. I love exploring the levels and finding everything it has to offer. I am playing a full stealth game and it's so intense and fun. If I get caught I consider it a failure and reload I haven't had this much fun in a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
  100. Oct 16, 2012
    An amazing game!
    The city of Dunwall and is beautifully crafted and feels so alive. (Well, aside from the plague victims, that is)
    An amazing game!
    But like I said, the setting is interesting, and the game itself is a lot of fun to play. The various ways to get to and kill (or not kill) a target are fun to play out. And although the story is a bit of a cliché with the whole "Get revenge and everything will fix itself." it still kept me interested.

And the reason I didn't give this game a 10?
    Well, it's for petty and small reasons for the most part. I mean, the game felt...short. I would have loved to explore more of Dunwall and meet or have more targets to hunt after. I also would've loved to know more about the city and its people, and not just through books. And honestly the "character" I liked the most was the Heart that told you about the city, I didn't feel all that connected to anyone else.

And finally, the lights.
    Why couldn't you destroy them? Or at least pull a switch or destroy a whale oil tank to make them go out.
    It is a small thing, I know. But I kind feel that something like that belongs in a stealth game.

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Precise and elegant systemic design engenders an absurd degree of player agency, but is marred somewhat by a sloppy, unconvincing narrative and soulless characters. [Dec 2012]
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    What is there is so compelling that the lack of additional stages can't help but feel like a disappointment. The game's strengths are a double-edged sword. Regardless, this is still one of the best games of this year. With a bit of work, a potential sequel could be one of the best games of any year.
  3. Dishonored is never able complete that transformation from a game into a totally new and exciting world to inhabit. To be sure, our mostly positive rating reflects that this game is well-structured with all the pieces you'd expect and story flexibility will offer up a unique adventure for every player. It's a promising and mostly enjoyable start to what will perhaps be an ongoing series, but it lacks the emotional punch that could make it great.