• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Apr 12, 2011
  • Also On: PC
8.0

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Having not played the Original Divinity or its sequel, I don't have much to base this game on its improvements. I have however, gotten sick of most modern RPGs and this game is a breath of fresh air. The writing isn't as good as a Bioware game, nor does it look as pretty. However, this game has something that Mass Effect and Dragon Age lacked: exploration. The world of Divinity II is huge and beautiful and it only gets better the more you play. Much of the games design is great too, but you'll have to look past some of the games problems to get there. There is some freezing issues but most of the glitches you'll see in the game don't effect the over all playability of the game. Once you get past this you'll see an RPG that is more about fun and enjoying yourself than about nerdy stats and grinding loot fests. For instance, you get access to any skills in the game, regardless of what class you choose. This allows you to create your hero in any way you want. Want to be a ranged weapon specialist who can summon demons and shoot fire? You got it! The over all menu system is easy and from about half way in the game, it gets even better, allowing you go send anything you pick up to your "Battle Tower," a central hub that acts as your own personal shop/training grounds/evil necromancer's lab. There are other fun unique things as well, such as the ability to turn into a dragon on command and having your own Frankenstein-esque creature that you piece together from body parts scattered in the game. This game is a hidden gem, destined to be a sleeper hit that any RPG fan who just wants to have fun exploring a huge and endearing world. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    I have to say the reviews for this game are quite frankly, disgusting. It's the best RPG on the consoles after TES4 by far. But then again I suppose if a game requires basic reading & mathematic skills the critics just aren't interested. Imbeciles. Anywho, I haven't actually played the original Divinity 2 so I can't comment on how much of an improvement the graphics are, and while it's true it isn't quite as good looking as Oblivion when it comes to things like NPCs they are still excellent. The interface & controls here are exemplary; pressing the right trigger allows you to easily compare your equipped gear when shopping, the stats are simply explained, and the journal is fantastic, in conjunction with the map, providing clear instructions, & quest markers. Not once did I get lost. The character progression here is some of the most flexible I've come across in a while; rather than locking you into a class D2 lets you spend XP across class' on a massive skill tree so you you create a virtually endless number of different characters. If that wasn't enough you can also customise your armor, transorm into a Dragon & build your very own creature from enemy body parts! And (apart from perhaps the Ghost) Larian Studios has done a stellar job balancing the many skills; unlike many RPGs every skill felt useful, and none overpowered. The one thing that impressed me the most though was the insane amount of choice in the gameplay. In a super cool innovation you can spend XP to read NPCs minds opening up new ways to solve quests, and other secrets. There's even a choice of rewards for EVERY quest in the game! Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2011
    Holy Shnuzel this game kicks ass!! I am bewildered at all the low scores and poor reviews given to it by the trend following drongos out there. Having not played the original I decided to have a punt on this for a laugh, and I'm now 35 hours in to one of the best games I've played since Mass Effect 1&2. In my little gaming world Divinity 2 is sort of a spiritual successor to Summoner 2 on the PS2 - (too many 2's!! lol), even though they have little in common from a business perspective they both value fun, atmosphere, and genuine RPG elements over being 'sellable' to Jo Public. The blend of humour, epicness and grandeur, is perfect, making the rol-playing aspects of the game a joy to get involved with - the local Barnsley accents are particualrly cool. Then the combat, whilst not perfect, is still really fun and gives the players various ways of approaching the game - all down to how you want to build your character. The musical score fits to a tee, very immersive, the challenge is good, and although the graphics certainly aren't great at all, who's complaining? Not me, because this is one of the best games and RPGs I've played in ages. Avoid Dragon Age 2, go for this instead. Expand
  4. Dec 28, 2011
    Let me start by saying I am a big fan of rpg games and I loved skyrim until I found this game. This one of the most underrated games ever. If your a fan of rpg's than look no further cause this is one of the best.
  5. Jun 25, 2012
    sorry about my english

is an excellent option to skyrim , amalur , dragon age ....etc . it remains me the old school pc rpg style , highly recomended
  6. Jul 13, 2012
    When I downloaded the demo of this game I was expecting a drab,unforgiving,roleplaying game; but what I got was an amazing free roaming adventure. In many ways, it trumps a lot of western RPG's because of the almost limitless combinations of ways to level up your character, allowing the player to create very diverse adventurers. The combat is also extremely effective because you really feel as if you've just slayed a troll or stabbed an elf. The one thing letting it down is the almost uncontrollable camera angles. Sometimes, in the middle of battle, you can't even see your character, let alone fight an enemy at the same time. But, for fans of western RPG's this is a must buy. (BTW: Don't buy the original 'Ego Draconis' game. Buy the 'Dragon Knight Saga' edition. it features the original game with rehashed graphics and a more intuitve inventory system and packs in the amazing 'Flames Of Vengeance' add on absolutely free.) Expand
  7. May 28, 2011
    After I saw this game while I was browsing the Xbox Game Marketplace, I wasn't expecting it to be incredibly good. But because the premise sounded cool to me (play as a knight who can transform into a dragon?!) I decided to get the demo. My first impression was that Divinity II was nothing more than a cheap Dragon Age rip-off, but I was wrong. This game has the old-school feel that Dragon Age nailed, combined with the exploration and awesome character building of Oblivion. I haven't gotten to play as a dragon yet, but I'm really liking the game so far. I will update my review once I finish the demo, but so far I recommend this to any RPG fan! Expand
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    Last year I had the unfortunate luck of playing Divinity 2 Ego Draconis, one of the worst RPGs I had ever played. After hearing of the Dragon Knight Saga I felt as if I should give Atlus another chance, so I bought the game. For the rather small price of $40 you get the remastered version of Ego Draconis, a decent art book, a nice soundtrack and the Flames of Vengeance DLC which adds another 20-30 hours of gameplay. What changed my opinion on this game? Well they drastically improved the graphics, FPS and camera and they added new quests and items. Although those improvements and additions are very welcome they still didn't fix all of the bugs, the voice sink issues, the misspelled text, the stupidity in some of the dialogue and the terrible voice acting. But at the end of the day it is a very enjoyable game that sits among my favorite games on my shelf. Expand
  9. Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't played the original Divinity for the Xbox and I haven't played too much in depth of the original Ego Draconis but I can tell you that Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga makes a vast improvement. It comes with a whole new paint job, new renderings and improved graphics are always helpful but still, they can't be compared to games like Oblivion and Dragon Age 1/2 and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Where the game lacks in appearance it makes up with everything else, just because we are in 2011 doesn't mean all of our games have to be a sparkling vista of rolling plains and towering mountains, why spend extra effort to make it look like we're in an IMAX when you can say, spend that effort on making good quests, a good story and an easy interface. The only other downfall is that some of the voice acting is a bit cheesy, not in terms of accents and words but more on the awkwardness in which the voice actor says the lines, note, this doesn't apply to ALL the voice acting, maybe about 20-30% of it, which when you look at it isn't so bad.

Now that the bad has been mentioned now onto the good, the world that Divinity 2 creates is huge, it has small towns, big cities, mountainous regions, spiraling dungeons, and pretty much any stock Medieval landscape you can imagine and when you gain the ability to turn into a Dragon, the world is expanded to floating spires and towers and even your own Battle Tower which is pretty much an ultimate vault/factory/storage area/forge in the sky.

The combat on the 360 is flowing, using a reticule and lock-on functions you can set aside key targets (such as healers or leaders) using the pause function (which is sort of a steal from Dragon Age), I guess you can call it button mashing, but every game you have to push a button, so you can give it a bad score solely on the fact you have to press buttons. The way they laid out combat you can assign you weapon to a specific button and additional combos/specials/potions to the D-pad and the buttons (A,B,X,Y), it's very useful in the way you can set your primary attack button and heal button (if you call it that, where you put your potions) where you want it. You can't actively block or parry, all you can do is jump, roll and run out of/away from danger, which sometimes gets a bit tricky but again, isn't too bad.

The menus are easy to use, you can do weapon/armor/accessory comparison from your inventory and shop menus, interaction with the environment is as simple as a push of a button and the chat screens are easy to use, and the quest log is pretty self explanatory.

You can tell that this game was made by gamers, everything is boiled down for easy accessibly and function, it sticks to the fundamentals of RPGs, you can customize you load outs and classes (drawing from 5 skill trees of Priest, Warrior, Ranger, Mage and Dragon Knight/Slayer skills). Sure some visuals and voice acting and rendering is sacrificed and sure there isn't a glowing breadcrumb trail or a way-point guiding you to your objectives but that doesn't stop you from enjoying the game

Lasting impressions is that this is a solid 9/9.5 out of 10, other than a few cheesy bouts of voice acting and the graphics and rendering not being top notch and some of the quests being demented postman delivery mission the whole game is phenomenal, it is the type of game that makes you want to play for 5 or 10 extra minutes after saving the game to turn off your Xbox 360 just to get that extra piece of loot of find that extra ingredient, if your an old-school RPG player or an RPG player with an open mind then Divinity 2 the Dragon Knight Saga is the game for you.
  10. Nov 23, 2011
    This is a good old school rpg game which I enjoyed. Good upgrade system and plenty of weapons and loot. The game also does well graphically. The not so good was the weird voice acting and the crazy problem solving at times. All in all well worth playing. HINT Upgrade your fireball spell to maximum even if you are warrior class.
  11. Sep 5, 2012
    Played the PC version, this is a good rpg. It's pretty hardcore in today's standards in terms of it not taking you by the hand. But if you liked old school rpg's definitely give this one a try.
  12. Jan 31, 2013
    The Dragon Knight Saga is a great RPG with tremendous value. I highly recommend at least checking it out, but I'd definitely buy it if I were you. This game contains great characters with hilarious writing, and a fun world to explore.
  13. Jun 17, 2011
    Fantastic game which takes you right back to old school rpg gaming. Storyline is good upgrade system is done supremely well and you can customise your weapons and armour continually throughout the game. Added to that you can transform from a dragon knight into a dragon, what more would you want. For anyone who is a fan of old school rpg gaming this is a must. Would recommend this game to rpg fans out there. Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2012
    This is one of the best RPG games I have ever played. It is huge and full of fun things to do. The voice acting is excellent and the story is good as well. There are a lot of nods to movies and books in the names of characters and some of the achievements. This game is totally engaging right from the start and once you get the hang of how things work you will have hours of fun. The only issue is with the escort mission that is quite tedious to get through but other than that I loved this game. Expand
  15. May 12, 2013
    I've only been playing this game for a few hours, but so far it seems to be the pure epitome of a run-of the-mill RPG. It has it's flaws, it has it's strong points. Decent graphics, good combat, some freezes and glitches. I think the sound track deserves a mention, though. The music is good for an average video game.
  16. Apr 25, 2014
    One of the best RPG's out in the last 10 years. Have played through it twice. Great graphics for its age, everything has voice acting (don't have to spend hours reading), some comedy but not overly so. Becoming a dragon is awesome and thankfully easy to control. Lots of powers and abilities to choose from so builds are different.
  17. Apr 16, 2011
    After having tried to play the first XBOX version of this game and had given up out of frustration, I have hoped that the revised and remastered version would play like a fantastic new game. Sadly, while the newest version, after another year+ of incubation and revision, does have much better FPS, the game sorely lacks the polish promised and misses the mark yet again in many departments.

During my first play session, the game locked-up my new slim XBOX 3 times while wandering the world and another time during a save game operation. Frustrated, pushing-on past my first-version quit-point, I soon discovered that while the FPS has been smoothed out somewhat, the game, itself, seems to have been modified in odd ways. Some quests omitted, others added with minimal effect, NPCs with poor pathfinding and collision, better-balanced combat with some new monsters, all seemingly undermined by typos in quest dialogue, non-synched NPC voicetracks, clunky UI and the list could go on and on, unfortunately.

The artwork and textures look to be improved in some areas while completely gutted in other areas, presumably for better FPS and less stuttery performance, which "worked" for me, however.

I wanted to give Larian the benefit of the doubt. Along with Focus Interactive, the game has been improved a great deal, although it is difficult to claim success due to the overall inconsistencies and odd occurences still prevalent in the gameplay and world. Personally, locking up the new XBOX 3 times and then, another, while on the save screen really tells the tale. Maybe other users will have a different experience, I hope so. . . .

Frankly, instead of the artbook and included soundtrack disc, I would have much rather had the game that Larian, Focus and Atlus had promised us for the last year+.
  18. Apr 10, 2012
    A good RPG game: good music & graphics (but, they could be a little better...), really long. You have a lot of options to configure your character and the world is so big. Whereas I like this game (I love RPG) I only recommend it if you like RPG (I mean classic RPG). I must say that this game sometimes is confusing (the storyline could be told in a better way). The creators has improve the original game in the DKS and I'm trully especting their next game. Expand
  19. Sep 3, 2012
    Divinity 2 The Dragon Knight Saga is a reasonable RPG with a decent lore and story, but just looks very last gen in terms of graphics and overall presentation. Having not played the original release on xbox 360 (which must have looked terrible given this has been given a graphical overhaul and added an expansion) I am unable to comment on the differences. The game moves along a a steady trot once it gets going but never really draws you in, due to limited character customisation options and uninteresting dialogue choices (although admittedly clever and amusing ones at times).
    The flying dragon sections that should have been a triumph are initially fun but generally rather bland (due to limiting force fields) or just plain annoying (I'm looking at you Zeppelin escort). Overall Divinity is an average old school combat orientated 3D open world RPG.
  20. May 24, 2012
    This game is a poor RPG. It has a reasonable storyline. But apart from that its a very poor game on all other areas in comparison to some of the better RPG's out for xbox. It has a poor leveling and customisation system. The graphics are weak as are the scope and size of the areas. Some of which you can never go back to after moving onto the next area. This game is only worth a minimal pre owned price, and thats if you've played almost every other decent RPG out there. Expand
  21. Jan 31, 2013
    An average RPG that is rather bland and can not compete with other titles in its class. The visuals are decent enough, voice acting is ....... bad but in a cheesy-it'll-make-you-grin kind of way. Quests and story are really generic and it seems the writers really put very little effort into writing/creating something unique. The game does have some interesting features like the dragon morphing, it comes in at such a late stage of the game that it is really hard to continue to show interest in the game. Overall: Divinity 2: DKS is RPG equivalent of late night TV, it's OK if there is absolutely nothing else, but it's still nothing special. Like I said before, a completely average RPG that is completely forgettable. Expand
  22. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ever played a game and wondered what it would be like to have an antagonist that kicks you around and that you never fight at the end, let alone beat?

This is for you.

1. Apr 19, 2011
    While it shows significant improvement over its previous release, Divinity II's visuals and gameplay still lack the level of polish we've come to expect from this generation's entries.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    A game slightly better than the sum of its parts. While its graphics are subpar for a modern game, the combat is fast-paced and fun.
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    Ultimately, The Dragon Knight Saga is a game at odds with itself. Its solid writing and quest design has to contend with balance issues and a myriad of other minor problems such as a sporadic autosave function that feels more like an afterthought.