5.0

1. Jan 15, 2013
    Coming from a long time DMC fan this game is great. Sure i had my doubts like many others after hearing ninja theory was rebooting the series. And boy was i wrong this game turned out to be awesome. Combat is great (on par with dmc 3 but different style, still jc is in) and the story is a good start to this new franchise. Can't wait to see what they have in store for DmC 2!!!
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Devil May Cry 4 was my first game in the series that I played, and all I can remember about the game was neo, and an older stronger bloke called Dante.

I loved the game. Now all I know about Dante is what I have learnt playing DMC, so all these people who are saying he is not Dante, this is not Dante, I hate you Ninja Theory. I cannot understand what they are talking about. But

I loved the game.

I cannot understand what they are talking about.

But from my point of view. Very Good Game. And worth a play though by even none Devil May Cry fans....
  3. Dec 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I started playing, I was hopeful about its quality. I'm not a fanboy; I see many flaws in DMC too, though it knew what it was doing.

First, its story is incredibly juvenile. It's a plot that mirrors the Illuminati conspiracy theory. Aside from that, it also criticizes capitalism in a very hamfisted way, with Dante scoffing at billboards and slapping a can of energy drink out of somebody's hand. Mundus, the leader of Limbo, is a demon who's a corrupt businessman who 'controls the world through debt'. No idea how that works, and it's never explained either. Mundus's motives are not explained, and there is no backstory on him either. He could just merge the demon world with the humans' and let their world get overrun by demons, but I guess he never thought of that.
    Dante meets his twin (whom he doesn't recognize even though he looks exactly like him), and is told that their father was banished by Mundus. That somehow motivates Dante to defeat Mundus, even though he had no interest to before, and he has no reason to avenge his father either, since he never knew him and has no connection to him ideologically or emotionally. Vergil and Dante never try to find out what exactly happened to their father, or even if he's alive.
    Somewhere along the line, Vergil shoots Mundus's wife through the stomach to kill both her and her child. It doesn't matter that that woman was a demon, it's still immoral. Dante simply reacts shocked, but shrugs it off fairly quickly - he even rubs it in when he meets Mundus. Throughout the game, the words 'f*ck you' are repeated at least six times, as though it's supposed to make you angry, but it only comes across as though the game tries to be as edgy as possible. It's very cliché.

The characters are one-dimensional. Kat does nothing but complain, gets captured and serves mainly as a plot progresser. Instead of being a strong female character like Trish, Kat is portrayed as a useless but cute girl. Vergil comes across as overly emotional, and he wants to replace Mundus as a dictator, simply because ''humans are weak''. Vergil also looks contradictory. He's got a posh Homburg hat, but he also wears a black coat with a blue floral pattern type of thing. His behavior is equally confused. At the end of the game, Kat reassures Dante that ''I know exactly who you are - you're Dante''. First off, she still doesn't know him well, and secondly, the hints at a romantic relationship make no sense. If anything, she seems to harbor feelings for Vergil, which are never discussed again.
    Dante himself is like an obnoxious football hooligan or something. He comments that he's ''Dante the demon killer'', and every time he smiles, it's like a smirk. The transformation from a-hole to likable, flamboyant trash-talker I had hoped for is not there. He is unlikable.

The gameplay is almost as bad, though thankfully the Capcom team worked on it too. The game has half as many combos as DMC4 did. The styles were removed. The lock-on function was removed, which means you're flailing at enemies Dante decided to target. There's enemies who can't be hurt by your normal weapons, so you're forced to switch to demonic or angelic weapons - which severely limits your combo potential in groups of enemies. Some enemies can only be defeated by grappling toward them.
    The boss fights are far too easy and rely on shallow platforming elements. One of the weapons is so overpowered you can kill bosses in a few hits, while also racking up style points. Some of the weapons have essentially the same function in combat, and the Aquila is only useful for disabling weak enemies so you can focus on a strong one.
    The gameplay can still be fun, there's still a little comboing potential. But with all the boring, shallow platforming in between fights (consisting of grappling onto ledges over and over), that doesn't help much.

The enemy design is lackluster; instead of having anime-like demons with elements from human mythology, we now have enemies like Poison, who looks like a huge caterpillar. The only demon who I thought looked decent was Bob Barbas. His fight was nice. Still, I can't help but facepalm at the juvenile comparison to a Fox News anchor. Just because Fox News is stupid doesn't mean it's evil or tries to control the world. It's hamfisted.

The graphics are okay, but most levels consist of one color; it goes from red to blue to green. But, there was an upside down realm, which looked great.

The soundtrack gets your blood pumping sometimes, but it's edgy and not too varied.

Overall, the presentation is hamfisted, the characters unlikable and shallow, the gameplay bland and two steps down from previous DMCs, the acting mediocre, the dialogs ridiculous, the soundtrack decent, and the graphics too colorful and monochromatic (but creative and epic). The game doesn't feel like Devil May Cry either; the characters and story are different, and there's no real horror or anime style. Skip this game, wait for DMC4: Special Edition.
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    I have been a fan of Devil May Cry series and I have played this recently because some people urge me to try this as I was totally ignoring this reboot. I stopped playing after some chapters because it is so boring. I couldn't stop playing DMC 3 and 4 from beginning to end but this one is just **** with stupid dialogues. And those who enjoyed this game are fans of hack-and-slash game, notI have been a fan of Devil May Cry series and I have played this recently because some people urge me to try this as I was totally ignoring this reboot. I stopped playing after some chapters because it is so boring. I couldn't stop playing DMC 3 and 4 from beginning to end but this one is just **** with stupid dialogues. And those who enjoyed this game are fans of hack-and-slash game, not Devil May Cry itself. Expand
  5. Oct 31, 2014
    Before i go off on a rant, can i ask why reboot a great series like DMC? Capcom has been failing with Resident Evil since their master piece with 4, 5 and 6 (especially 6 since 5 had some redeeming factors but not enough to make it a good game) have been terrible.

Anyways onto the game. It follows this "new" Dante and Vergil in this new world controlled by demons. From the original series Dante was born a demon and a human woman. In the new game he is born from a angel and demon. Okay i can go with that, changes it a bit but not enough to think this is a bad game right? Wrong

From here we find out that Dante has been changed from a witty badass to this uninteresting younger irresponsibly version of himself. He has no love for humans, he basically wants to sit in his trailer and cry about his past. So right off the bat hes an unlikable character. One of the opening cut scenes is him flying though the air getting dressed while a piece of pizza covers him up. He eventually changes his mind about humanity and voes to protect him, but all throughout the game hes not the same Dante we have known for years. There is even a pun at the old Dante, why? All Ninja Theory is doing is alienating the fans even more. We LIKED old Dante, and didn't want him to change. So why say F the fans for wanting the old Dante back?

Now we meet up with Vergil, our twin brother we just find out, and hes no better then Dante. Hes annoying and whinny just like Dante, and hes supposed to want to rule the humans but its never really explained why except for "I'm better then them" In the original series Vergil wanted power, more specifically the power of the dark knight Sparta, his father. Its all out there and explained. Here its not explained and I'm sure as a fan we just didn't care either.

Onto the art style. There's no denying this game looks great. The limbo world you visit looks stunning. Each enemy looks good and resemble a manikin(I'm assuming they were inspired from the original game) and they all look really cool. All the bosses looked stunning, they took a lot of time to design each environment and it shows.

Onto the combat. In DMC4 you were able to switch from your devil arms and guns freely and using the d-pad you could switch from what style you wanted to use, similarly in DCM3 you could select between 2 guns and devil arms at the start of each level and you could switch freely between those. In DMC (the reboot) you only get rebellion. On certain trips to limbo you are able to use rebellion on certain painting and upgrade it to demonic or angelic weapons and depending on what button combination you old you can switch freely between them in combat. Now where this isn't the worst way to switch weapons in a action game, I don't get why you cant just cycle though it instead of having to hold a single button just to do a combo. The guns themselves are a joke, the weakest they have ever been in a DMC game, I don't think i even used them once. Combat itself feels quiet shallow. Basic SSS attacks is all you need to kill most basic enemies.

This being a modern Hack and Slash game it has a ranking system, but its the most forgiving system Ive seen especially in a DCM game. There is no real punishment for using the same combo frequently and your rank will only go down if you get hit, it is no longer based on time.

Another questionable decision was to remove targeting from the game. On harder difficulties targeting is a necessity to easily get rid of the weakened and easier mobs or to focus down one harder mob, like a Blitz from DMC 4. Why remove something that is in every action game and every DMC game before this?

Overall looking past the fact of the reboot and on its own individual game, it has a few things that make it a okay game. The environments and enemies both look good. The combat is shallow and not very rewarding, but not bad either. The story and characters are both awful.

If you look at this game as a standalone, separate from the original DMC games it isn't a terrible game, it just isn't good either.
  6. Dec 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start about this game? Well first off I want to say that DMC fans don't dislike this game because ''they don't like change''. If that were true, DMC would've died years ago, since each DMC has been pretty different from the last. Each Dante was different too. I'll explain just why this game fails objectively and subjectively.

The plot isn't all that logical. Mundus (the demon king) wants to control the world through debt, but... why, exactly? Because he hates humans? He wants them to be enslaved? And why would he want that? Why not kill them altogether in his demon form, or let other demons do it for him? Where did this Mundus even come from, and why would he send demons after Dante if Dante never posed a threat? Mundus didn't even know about Vergil, so it's possible Dante would just leave Mundus alone.
    The plot, in my opinion, is kinda childish. Like somebody else said, it's a typical 'corporations are evil, government is bad' story.
    The characters are pretty unremarkable, not likable. Kat goes from shy to annoying and passive-aggressive in the blink of an eye. Vergil comes across as whiny and generally insane. If we're supposed to feel bad about his fight with Dante and his fall from grace and transformation into a wannabe dictator... well... I don't. It doesn't work because Vergil was unlikable in the first place. He stabs people in the back, shoots them in the stomach and lets it sink in... he's honorless.
    Dante is an uncaring and obnoxious guy. His character would've worked better if it allowed for drama; if Dante's demeanor were contrasted with bouts of emotionality. As it is, Dante never inspires you to love him or to laugh at any jokes he makes. He's unethical and disturbed just like Vergil, and that never really changes.
    And the plot ending makes little sense. Dante decides, based on his interactions with Kat (who was useless, ran away, got caught, etc) that humans can rule themselves and aren't useless in any way. Why is Kat a character when Dante could just interact with local humans? Maybe some humans could be part of the Order, so that Dante can get to know humans better? Naah, of course not, that would make too much sense. Vergil's revelation that he wanted to rule the humans (with Dante) wasn't a revelation... we already knew he had plans, it was telegraphed multiple times in overly obvious ways.

The gameplay's poor. You've got no styles, which means fewer moves than in DMC3 and 4. You've got no lock-on mechanism, making you randomly target enemies (usually the one closest to you, though). The angel weapons are underpowered, while the demon weapons are overpowered. Some enemies force you to use angel/demon weapons only, which limits your combos. Those weapons just don't have large enough movesets.
    Almost every combo finisher sends enemies flying, meaning you're forced to use the Demon Pull or Angel Lift if you want to keep attacking.
    The bosses are so easy it's insulting, and it comes down to being forced to exploit their weaknesses with platforming. Devil Trigger only makes it even easier because it's a slow time function.
    Platforming, by the way, isn't platforming at all. It requires no skill, and little timing. All you do is press the same button over and over.
    Overall, the game's too easy. You get SSS rankings like candy.

The soundtrack and the acting are okay, not much else. The guy voicing Vergil sounds believable, if a bit annoying. Tim Phillips (Dante) sounds thoroughly bored, even when the writing tells him to be shocked or angry. When he yells, he sounds like he doesn't mean it... just bad acting. The best voice actor would be the one who voiced Kat, whom I can find very few faults with.
    The music is okay, though like the game, overly edgy. It comes across as trying too hard, and it would've been nice if it were more like songs rather than anthems.

Graphics are nice, it looks surreal and menacing. That said, all the color and contrastlessness (yeah a new word) really got to me. Got a nice headache souvenir from Limbo. The characters sometimes look weird too - Kat's face shape seems to change with each cutscene, and V&D occasionally look like mannequins or something.

I don't see why this game gets high grades from some people. It's not even as good as DMC3, a game from 2005. Bayonetta 2 is far superior to DmC in almost every way, and in the end, it's more similar to DMC too. DmC threw everything (except gameplay) that defined Devil May Cry in the trash. And yeah, I am a DMC fan, but that also makes me a good critic of new products in the franchise. I advise you not to support this game. Get the HD Collection and DMC4 if you want a 'fix'. This game's only decent.
  7. Apr 5, 2013
    From the story that seems to be written by an edgy 12-year-old, to the boring and easy gameplay, this is NOT a true sequel to DMC4, and it not only puts the series to shame, but the gaming industry as a whole.
  8. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're fight
  9. Jan 17, 2013
    Haha yet another disastrous game! I love seeing the polar opposite opinions of critiques and the people who know what there talking about.. anyway who cares its all about the dollars! yee ha! ninjadoll your a disgrace your score belongs in the critic section not the users...
  10. Jan 17, 2013
    Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Combat is totally basic, even a child can play it and go carnage, but does a child actually knows anything bout gameplay? The lack of Lock On is terrible, basicly you'll hit what the game WANTS you to hit, not what you do, the moves are also few, they might look like a lot, yet it might be even less than Nero had back at DMC4' time. Enemies are few, you'll face the chainsaw dudes and the flying babies to everywhere, and the other enemies are pretty much derived versions of them. The bosses here are pathetic, they're slow and predictable, but not in the usual way, you just know what they gonna do before they actually do it, a terrible thing for an action game. Guns are useless, just to say, the sole reason you can't go single move spam with whatever weapon is that some enemies requires a certain weapon to be defeated... A totally lame thing for an action game.

So far the game gave me no reason to thing it is good, I saw a total noob playing and in less than 15 minutes he totally owned the three first missions without a single retry, he just got there and destroyed everything without problem...

And now for the story... Just think about a hollywood movie, there' DmC for you, there is NOTHING original there, everything has been done before and will be done again, the cutscenes are just useless, they don't give you important information, or awesome moments, it is just a sequence, usually long and pointless, you know what will happen when you see it, 'cause it has been used many many times already... Shakespearean story? Shakespeare would laugh at it...

Want to play it? You'll waste your time, get Anarchy Reins or even better, wait for Metal Gear Rising.
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    The story is very Bad..Game Play is very Bad. Auto Lock on System is Very Bad. It make You will can't control Target. Attack Range is Very Far. It make u can't Combo 3 Enemies in the Same time. Boss Fight is Very Boring. The Last Boss Vergil in DmC is very Slow and Vergil 's Skill is very Easy to Evade..
    And Its Cutsence....I can't Belive This is DMC if I see Cutsence intro. In game has Sex Sense of Mundus....It make me Sick...I hate NT
  12. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is NOT good, ok? Now that you understand this, please note that I'm not trolling, it's just that DmC really deserves this score. Yes, it is that bad, it's the worst game in the series.
  13. Jan 17, 2013
    First, they ruined Resident Evil and now they ruined Devil May Cry. Capcom will soon be out of business. It has nothing to do with nostalga, when a game takes 5 steps backwards in terms of game play. This is Devil May Cry for the Call of Duty generation.
  14. Jan 18, 2013
    The game design is most annoying. Several issues with the PS3 version. General lack of purpose feeling while playing. Tons of explosions, nudity, but not a deep history.

Those are just a few of the flaws that plagues this title. I used to like CAPCOM because it wasn't trying so hard to please "Western" gamers. They are just making a fool of themselves in the process. If for CAPCOM the above flaws reflects the "Western" desires, then by no means I am a "Western" citzen.
  15. Jan 19, 2013
    Ninja Theory has been known for her writing,ha,ha,ha where?Because in DmC Devil may cry They failed big time,story is not interesting.The ending can be seen a mile away.Cutscenes are done with no imagination compared with the DMC 3 and 4, they are ridiculous.Weapons terrible,lack of diversity.Styles there is non,no lock on.The verdict, HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    This is my second review. First I wrote right after i stop playing so now i wanna share what i think. First of all Dante was a half human and in this game his no longer partly human, the scene when vergil shoots lilith is ofending! And the wig joke is a middle finger to all the fans who love and care for dmc games. The graphics is worst than dmc 4, The colour saturation is bad.. And theThis is my second review. First I wrote right after i stop playing so now i wanna share what i think. First of all Dante was a half human and in this game his no longer partly human, the scene when vergil shoots lilith is ofending! And the wig joke is a middle finger to all the fans who love and care for dmc games. The graphics is worst than dmc 4, The colour saturation is bad.. And the good reviews from "proffesional critics" are the biggest mistery to my since the birth of life.. Proffesional critics call me maybe hater or fanboy but im not a hater.. in fact I love the series in this game is simple a mix of ninja gaiden 3 and Heavenly Sword with DMC sticker..and its a bad mix.. I hope that someday we get a proper devil may cry 5.. Its not completely bad game but its VERY bad dmc game. For the first time my dissapoint was so big that its forced me to get a metacritic account and share my sandess and anger.. RIP Dante Expand
  17. Jan 19, 2013
    Devil may cry is not a terrible action game in fact it's a bit Better than most, however the story is god awful with no substance to it, and when compared to the older DMC games it's utter garbage
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    Well here we are with a new DmC entry, I'll get right to the point with my review in a checklist style
    Gameplay
    Gameplay
    5/10,it is a downgrade from previous Devil May Cry titles as losing the Lock On button forced the game to also lose plenty of moves that required the use of the lock on to be able and perform d-pad motions, depth of combat was also taken out or completely changed from previous DMC titles, now all moves combo into each other making flashy combos easy for everyone, even a blind person could make "sick" combos, NJ style of depth takes the form of enemeis that have unique weapon weaknesses or weak spots, this hindrances the gameplay as you have to interrupt your attack in order to reposition yourself or change weapon, in order to not affect your combat grade, NJ decided to also alter the way the game grades you, in this version of DMC as long as you dont get hit, your grade wont be reduced, even if you stand doing nothing for minutes, whereas in previous titles you had to think of smart ways to keep it high, either by varying up your combos or throwing a taunt here and there, this new system as you can see takes away from the skill.

All enemies telegraph their attacks, well they always do in the other games, however in this version they take several seconds before they launch their attacks, combine this with a low enemy count and the inability for most of them to attack Dante while he is doing air combos and you got yourself a very very easy game.

so for me, the combat and difficulty in this game while fun for new comers of this franchise, is completely lacking and lost of feeling of challenge.

Music : 5/10 this is mostly a matter of opinion, some of the tracks are quite good and do seem to fit the franchise, however all the ones that include heavy use of dubstep (boss music im looking at you) are really aweful and show poor taste

Graphics: 6/10 unfortunately for DMC, the developers decided to use the Unreal Engine, while its not a bad engine they did have a better engine they could have work with, CAPCOMS MT Framework engine, thus DMC's visual while good were not better than what we have seen in DMC4, a title released about 4 or 5 years ago and certainly not up to par with other titles released in 2012, however the only redeeming quality was the art direction of the game, the changing city and special effects used in some stages was quite good, too bad character models and animations werent.

Story: 5/10
    If anyone has watched the movie THEY LIVE by John Carpenter, you would know that DMC's story is almost a complete Copy/Paste of it, except that THEY LIVE at least had decent dialogue, whereas DMC's dialogue is just crude and childish, even going to compare $%^ sizes between some characters, however Story should never be a reason to play a DMC title so instead of the 2/10 I was going to give it, I'll bump it up to 5/10

Final Thoughts
    For me this DMC game has changed from action genre to the hack and slash or brawler genre, for example like those Dinasty Warrior games were all you do if perform 100+ hit combos just mashing the X button, now I don't mean to say the game is bad, DMC is a good game, but not as a Devil May Cry title, had the game had another name it would have been alright because I would not have had to compare it to its previous titles and see how many features were removed to make the combat extremely simple and depth lacking.

so my final score is a 5/10
  19. Jan 22, 2013
    Previous DMC with Dante where **** awsome and there it goes ninja theory with this **** ... I mean there is nothing new or special about this game. Stupid history, new boring Dante and the worst part is the gameplay, ITS JUST PATHETIC COMPARING WITH BAYONETA OR EVEN OLDER DMC.

VERY BAD NINJA THEORY, VERY BAD
  20. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a horrible game. Here is a link why people dont like this game. A game is not made for old gamers this is like capcom is destroying there games. Use youtube and watch this vid watch?v=o4NaBrFkiDo this will show you why this game sucks in so many ways.
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    Well, just spent about two days playing this game, and I'm done. If this didn't have the name of a famous franchise no one would care, it'd be forgotten in weeks. The story feels like it was written by a teenager, the dialogue literally devolves into a comparison of penis size at one point. Beyond the story, the game play is extremely sub par. The game doesn't run at a consistent frameWell, just spent about two days playing this game, and I'm done. If this didn't have the name of a famous franchise no one would care, it'd be forgotten in weeks. The story feels like it was written by a teenager, the dialogue literally devolves into a comparison of penis size at one point. Beyond the story, the game play is extremely sub par. The game doesn't run at a consistent frame rate, which felt slow to begin with. Seems really off putting in a game that should have a focus on combat. Probably the most insulting part is the difficulty. Actually calling it difficulty is laughable. This game goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to being the most casual, easy, boring, button-mashing trash ever. The "hard" difficulty "Nephilim" is easier than the easiest difficulty in DMC3. It's easier than easy mode in **** God of War 3. "Son of Sparda" it advertises as something that will require skill! It doesn't require anything except the ability to recognize when one of the monsters is doing their extremely telegraphed (so telegraphed in fact that they LIGHT UP IN BRIGHT NEON LIGHTS when they are about to do it) attacks. Expect about 5 seconds to react to most enemies. Not even kidding, time it. One of the challenges I won by doing 2 attacks for 30 seconds. One, I would hold O to uppercut, and two, I would press O again to do a downward slash and then I repeated that until everything in the room was dead. It's not like that's even an isolated incident. Some moves provide so much invincibility that there's no reason to stop spamming, ever.

Long story short, I am beyond disappointed. I can't believe I ignored everything I heard about this game and gave it the benefit of the doubt. I thought good game play would make up for any other shortcomings it had and it never delivers. Don't waste you money on this. Rent it if you must sate your curiosity.
  22. Jan 16, 2013
    This game was a average game on whole. But from the DmC series we expected more. The plot came off as juvenile, the ending was laughably bad, the combat was fun but shallow compared to DmC 4, and it is also a much more easier game compared to the others. This game put more into advertising then actually game-play development and story. Sad to see a series like this come up with such a bad game.
  23. Jan 17, 2013
    I was hesitant to get involved in the reboot DMC debate, as I personally detest it and others have made points about the game for me. However I was enraged to read certain websites slagging off the user metacritic overall opinion (slagging it off yet still reading and talking about it), acting high and mighty when in reality they are merely one set of trolls against another set onI was hesitant to get involved in the reboot DMC debate, as I personally detest it and others have made points about the game for me. However I was enraged to read certain websites slagging off the user metacritic overall opinion (slagging it off yet still reading and talking about it), acting high and mighty when in reality they are merely one set of trolls against another set on Metacritic who set up new accounts just to slag this game off! Though it doesn't surprise me these high and mighty sites and their following do not actually question the 'professional' review scores, or question industry corruption like 'Doritos-gate' for example whilst happily receiving backhanders for positive scores!? Below I've listed the main reasons why I detest this game and hope Ninja Theory never makes a game again!

1) The Art work is terrible, it's a mishmash of dull orange and psychedelic colours. This new Dante, Vergil and Cat were designed to attach younger urban punk people to play the game. This look has zero appeal to me, and obviously many others.
    2) The dialogue and plot are abysmal, truly lame brained juvenile nonsense. Yet those who defend this game call those who point this out as juvenile, ridiculous! Yes the previous games weren't exactly War and Peace, but they had 100% more character than this.
    3) The themes like the half Angel stuff and media control are actually quite offense to those with Religious/Moral views! I really dislike Ninja Theory and their view of lifestyles, and am absolutely livid they incorporated that into the game. I play games for relaxation, not to have 'saucy' Angels (God forbid) rammed down my throat! The media control stuff makes me laugh, as again the same people who are slagging the hardcore fans off for hating this game will happily believe their governments lies in the media, please reference the Iraq war or WMD's or the economic crash etc. Pot, kettle, black.....

Anyway they are the main reasons why I detest this game, and the uproar that has unfolded has made me realise that there are many trolls and people with no morals or ideals of their own, and that truly is the scary thing!
  24. Jan 17, 2013
    The bosses are now dull, character design has went down in quality and the combat system is "broken". For a Triple-A game, you expect quality. Instead, they took the approach of a "modern" story with terrible writing, and expect fans of the series to take it no questions ask. Everyone shouldn't wonder why this game is getting hate, there's a reason for it.
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    This game is bad, the combat can be fun but the enemies are just to easy and the difficult mode are forced and don't feel natural, the history is to plain and childish ("we will conquer the world trow debts" ).
    And the characters, they really **** this up, vergil now use guns and have 0 honor, is motives are like any other run of the mill antagonist , dante is a **** punk - emo, that in the first 20 min u only want to kill him and his new partner is so weak that u cant just buy the rest of the history.

Congrats capcom you kill another great game you **** resident evil and now you are coming for Devil May Cry
  26. Jan 17, 2013
    Well, this is my review. I should note that I borrowed the game from a friend.

Story I consider the story in this game to be mediocre at best as they could've done A LOT better considering the amount of potential this game had. Unfortunately, the writing was left in the hands of Ninja Theory...whose literary abilities are so good they had to hire outside writers for Heavenly Sword
    Well, this is my review. I should note that I borrowed the game from a friend.

Story

I consider the story in this game to be mediocre at best as they could've done A LOT better considering the amount of potential this game had. Unfortunately, the writing was left in the hands of Ninja Theory...whose literary abilities are so good they had to hire outside writers for Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, and the writer for Heavenly Sword had to rewrite the majority of the script because it was THAT bad. Suffice to say I was genuinely disappointed with what I saw.

And let's face it guys, while the DMC games has never had a stellar 10/10 storyline...neither does this one.

Story: 4/10

Combat

For all of the defenders trying to shoot down the 'the combat is bad' complaints, I'm not sure what standards you're going by, but the standards of the series and the genre in general is far higher than what we got handed to us. It's watered down, boring combat that you could basically sleep through, not to mention the game was PAINFULLY easy even on the highest difficulties. Remember the Vergil vs Dante fight in DMC3? That was a thrilling, exciting and difficult battle. Vergil in DmC was incredibly easy, boring and slow paced, even on the highest difficulties. Not to mention the utterly pointless cutscenes that constantly came out of nowhere completely disrupting my pace. I also think the style system was completely casualized in this game. In the previous DMC games you had to actually switch it up, do different combos and improvise in order to increase your stylish rank whereas you only need to press 2 buttons (yes, really) in order to get SSS in this game.

Combat 3/10

Characters

This is the big one guys. I found most of the characters in the game to be mundane and bland and I didn't find myself liking anyone. Vergil is contrived and gives off this air of being an obnoxious wanker, and Dante is well...Dante. I feel like they couldn't settle for a character for Dante, was he and edgy "F*CK YOU" teenager? A kid with a rough childhood rising above it? An antagonistic douchebag? The answer is all of them, because they couldn't be concrete with him and his personality.
    I found myself not giving a dime about Kat or anyone beyond that, it felt like she was just there to drive the story forward and was generally useless except for intel gathering and withstanding torture.

Characters 2/10

Visuals

It's one redeeming feature. Except it's TOO DAMN RED. Everything is so much red it almost hurt my eyes. Graphics wise it's great and I never dropped below 30fps for me.

Visuals 7/10

Overall

Not only is DmC a poorly written game with cringeworthy dialogue, but it doesn't try and dial it back and go ''Hey, guys! We're MEANT to be corny and a parody!" it takes itself SERIOUSLY, which is laughable in of itself. Outside of the notable lines like 'wet chunks', 'f*ck you', 'you're an a*shole', etc, the dialogue is bland and monotone or just plain not interesting. Having gone through the entire game from start to finish, I never felt enthralled by anything that was going on and simply laughed at the idiocy that was going on in my television more than caring about the story or the characters.

I give it a 2 simply because some of the combos were fun, but that's it.
  27. Jan 19, 2013
    A friend sent this game to me after telling me bad it was, just to see for myself, and wow just wow, what was capcom thinking allowing Ninja theory to develop this game, they completely ruined the main character and his personality and made him in to some edgy little teenager designed to appeal to a more or less homosexual demographic and people who have not played nor care about theA friend sent this game to me after telling me bad it was, just to see for myself, and wow just wow, what was capcom thinking allowing Ninja theory to develop this game, they completely ruined the main character and his personality and made him in to some edgy little teenager designed to appeal to a more or less homosexual demographic and people who have not played nor care about the original Devil may cry. This game was no devil may cry, it may have had the same name but it was so far from the original Dante and gameplay. I really do hope that if capcom decide to make a real devil may cry, they give it to developers who actually liked the original series, it was very clear Ninja Theory absolutely hated Devil may cry and being the self righteous **** they are decided to say **** YOU to the fans and create the horrible piece of **** known as dmc 5 instead. Poor narrative, poor gameplay, poor everything. Video games need to be held to a higher standard, not this piss poor excuse for a game. DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME I REPEAT DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME!!! And here is hoping for a real DMC in the future! Expand
  28. Jan 26, 2013
    The game is better than I expected, even with a different Dante, the development team has made a great work. It´s not fair to say that the game is worse than the previous ones, some elements have improved in this game.
  29. HMK
    Jan 26, 2013
    DmC is a re-imagining of the Devil May Cry series, after getting a lot of negative reaction in 2010, I can tell you right away that you don
  30. Feb 2, 2013
    Don't be fooled by what most of people have said, this is one of the best action games of this year. The story is WAY deeper than ANY other Devil May Cry game, with a huge replay value, the combos are more stylish, controls are easier to deal with and the graphics are just stunning. The characters are also more believable, thanks to one of the Ninja Theory's specialties their incredibleDon't be fooled by what most of people have said, this is one of the best action games of this year. The story is WAY deeper than ANY other Devil May Cry game, with a huge replay value, the combos are more stylish, controls are easier to deal with and the graphics are just stunning. The characters are also more believable, thanks to one of the Ninja Theory's specialties their incredible motion-capture work. Even if you are an old DMC fan, i'm sure you will be pretty satisfied with this title. 10/10, for sure. Expand
  31. Feb 4, 2013
    I really recommend this game, it have a good story, great places.

If you are a fan of Devil May Cry, you should give it a try because is a really fun game, you will play it several times. Don't pay attention to the people says, you should buy it or rent it if you want.
    I'm a great fan of this saga and i have never complain about the characters, so yes play it
  32. Jan 17, 2013
    This is flat, simple game without soul. They kill beatyfull game series. Music bad, gameplay boring(2 buttons to get SSS), bad interface. Maybe, if this game not been DMC(What means Devil may cry), maybe it been not so bad.
  33. Jan 19, 2013
    This is a downgrade from the original series, very slow paced, removing the lock on bottom removed the ability to do more combos and there for removing the reason for the style meter which is broken, does not go down if you do not receive damage. Really neutral character design but worst dialog ever, just for that is under 5 out of 10, this is more insults than anything else, not funny atThis is a downgrade from the original series, very slow paced, removing the lock on bottom removed the ability to do more combos and there for removing the reason for the style meter which is broken, does not go down if you do not receive damage. Really neutral character design but worst dialog ever, just for that is under 5 out of 10, this is more insults than anything else, not funny at all and not cool. Lack of enemies on the screen, does not feel like is hard. Expand
  34. Jan 21, 2013
    How can anyone rate this game highly when it's gone backwards from previous DMC games? This reboot has failed to surpass previous DMC games and in it's attempts to be modern, it's ruined the DMC name.
    How can anyone enjoy a game with such sickening language at every turn and a truely awful storyline. The combat itself is slow and broken at times, thanks to the poor decision to use Unreal Engine instead of capcom's previously used MS framework - A poor decision by Ninja Theory. In short, this game will disappoint most original fans and will repulse new comers. Avoid this game like the plague.
  35. Jan 18, 2013
    First and foremost i have been a Devil May Cry fan since the first one so every time a new DMC game was being released i got hyped over it. Now since this reboot, my biggest fear was that the gameplay won't live up to its predecessor, i did not care if he had white hair or not that wasn't my main concern of this reboot. It was the gameplay that made me love this series so much because itFirst and foremost i have been a Devil May Cry fan since the first one so every time a new DMC game was being released i got hyped over it. Now since this reboot, my biggest fear was that the gameplay won't live up to its predecessor, i did not care if he had white hair or not that wasn't my main concern of this reboot. It was the gameplay that made me love this series so much because it was innovative. Now with this reboot i felt like the series has taken a step back in terms of gameplay. It's not as deep or complex as the ones before it and i found it to be very repetitive and lacking innovation from previous games. Also the story and the characters in this game are very childish and immature. I have nothing against violence and offensive language or even nudity in video games when it is done right, but in this game it's way over the top and very excessive that it seems to me that this game was developed by a bunch of immature emo screamo gothic teenagers. I am very disappointed in Capcom for approving this game as a reboot thinking that us Americans and Europeans are into childish and immature themes of this game, and thinking that will be all over it.... Expand
  36. Feb 8, 2013
    One of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console toOne of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console to date such as DMC4 or Bayonetta, partially due to the broken style system. I enjoyed this game overall more than Ninja Gaiden II, but the mechanics of NGII's combat system were also obviously superior to this game. I've never been skilled enough to consistently achieve SSS combos in any previous DMC game, and I'm ok with that. At the time of writing this review, I've completed all the DMC's except 3 (I had traded my PS2 for an original Xbox before that came out or I would have played it too) on the "Normal" (aka Devil Hunter) difficulty. In DmC 5, however, SSS combos (NOT overall level rankings) can be achieved by pretty much anyone who knows how to button-mash their way through any simple hack-and-slash game. Similarly, if you don't care about your rank, you can cheese your way through huge sections of the campaign with minimal effort, though a few of the boss fights will force you to exhibit some skill to beat, although they all revolve around extremely predictable patterns involving swinging between a few platforms with one of your two seperate types of grappling hooks while the boss will probably be trying to vomit on you or something like that. Most of the levels look incredible, and I like how they are all based on twisted versions of everyday places such as a carnival, nightclub, factory, etc. but the actual map layouts are bland, and there's so much platforming this could almost be considered a platformer with melee combat. The lack of lock-on made me curse alot as the game miserably tried to "predictively" select the enemy I wanted to shoot with guns and/or grappling hooks. I love the soundtrack in DmC, but then again I am into industrial metal music, and I do realize that a lot of people aren't. The game even suprised me by featuring a few songs that I have had in regular rotation on my MP3 player, which is rare for me since most games either have epic movie-style soundtracks, or just boring licensed garbage like a lot of EA Rockstar games. Contrary to other user reviews, there is thankfully only a little bit of actual dubstep in the game. Industrial is not dubstep, kids. The characters have a lot of terrible dialogue, just like the other DMC games. Overall I enjoyed the story in this newest entry more than DMC 1-4 because it was the only one out of the entire series where I could even tell there was supposed to be a story, even though they did copy a Futurama episode for the factory level. Finally, I would rate this game an 8.5, I would have given DMC4 a 9.25, and Bayonetta would get a 9.5. I'm rounding up the 8.5 since there's so many zeroes on these user ratings. People are acting like it's worse than Vampire Rain or something, I mean, come on. It's actually a pretty fun game when judged on its own. However, it's a step down compared to all the other games in this series (except DMC2). Expand
  37. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, noOk the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, no intention of buying it honestly, saw it was a new revamp of dmc so i picked it up, i regret buying skyrim, gears 3 and halo 4 more than i do dmc, worth the $65. Expand
  38. Feb 4, 2013
    I was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and characterI was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and character progression. You can also get his classic skin through cheap DLC if its that's part of the issue people have with him.The combat is as excellent and responsive as ever and its full of Holy combos and moments with flare and style. The evil media/corporation theme is very fitting this day in age so I enjoyed how it was delivered in this game. I mean, do people really think the owners of these major corporations and news stations are innocent little angels? Of course they aren't. So the story was fun and it made for some truly incredible set pieces that compliment the flashy combat. With great replay value, great graphics and art design, bloody palace (free) DLC coming soon and even more DLC on the way I cant recommend this game enough. To all fans of action games, buy this. Expand
  39. Jan 24, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game. Without being a hardcore-fan of the franchise and generally being against the workflow of Capcom, I was pretty sceptical regarding the reboot and the character design changes. But the game itself was very entertaining. Nice hack and slash, fantastic graphic and framerate, a simple story. But sure it has flaws: it is pretty short. You have to likeI was pleasantly surprised by this game. Without being a hardcore-fan of the franchise and generally being against the workflow of Capcom, I was pretty sceptical regarding the reboot and the character design changes. But the game itself was very entertaining. Nice hack and slash, fantastic graphic and framerate, a simple story. But sure it has flaws: it is pretty short. You have to like the **** persona of Dante and some jumping parts are frustrating. Still its a good, fun game. Expand
  40. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game, haters aside the new DMC is a great game, solid gameplay and a well told plot, also an awesome design, from foes till scenery details all have a great design, worth buy!!
  41. Jan 27, 2013
    A thoroughly enjoyable game, the combat is smooth with only a few minor flaws and feels refreshing yet slightly familiar. As for the story I found it engaging, this is where to game differs from previous entries the most (for obvious reason) but the main characters and their stories are engaging and the fresh take on Virgil's story alone is worth watching.

Don't knock it before you try

Don't knock it before you try it and I can't wait for bloody palace.
  42. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  43. Jan 18, 2013
    just so weird, it's look like demon don't know how to walk, even boss, boss, why are you so big and so easy to hit?
    Are you making Legend of Zelda?
    Hope DmC 2 will be better, NT will be better.
  44. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels moreThis game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels more British to me. I enjoyed the characters and have played all the old games. If you enjoy beat em ups this game is going to be right up your ally. Don't listen to all the hate about his hair not being white, besides when you beat the game you also unlock his old costume, so play on the hardest difficulty with the old costume and it'll be just like the old DMC games, everybody wins. Expand
  45. Jan 29, 2013
    I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this DmC game, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about. This is a REBOOT, and it has a different feel than other DmC games -- but the hack n slash combat is still amazingly fun, the old challenge is there, and I found myself laughing many times at Dante's ridiculous bravado... in a good way. The story is straightforward and has a few poignant moments.I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this DmC game, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about. This is a REBOOT, and it has a different feel than other DmC games -- but the hack n slash combat is still amazingly fun, the old challenge is there, and I found myself laughing many times at Dante's ridiculous bravado... in a good way. The story is straightforward and has a few poignant moments. Most of all, this game looks better than any other DmC game, with more color and a dynamic environment that is constantly shifting and trying to kill Dante. I could not imagine this game being more fun to play, plain and simple, and that's what all video games should be about. Expand
  46. Jan 29, 2013
    This Game is Fantastic.The story isn't Great but the game itself is solid.Great Graphics,great mechanics, really great art direction.This is not only the best devil may cry games, its one of the best hack and slash games of this generation.
  47. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into.At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. The overall story kept me engaged and the climax blew me away. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Expand
  48. Jan 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story behind this game's development shows that we are facing something more important than a game. There are also things like ethics, good taste, education and professionality involved: none of them were used.
    For those familiar with the previous Devil May Cry games, this is a step back: a million-steps back.

-Gameplay- You have to face a completely redisegned layout, wich is both confusional and unpractical. There is no lock-on button. 2 buttons were wasted for the dodging. Some enemies may be attacked only by certain weapons. The styles of DMC 3 and 4 are gone (expecially gone is the "Royal Guard" moveset). The fights are too much and unfunny, giving the stages a sense of "being dragged too long". Most of the enemies doesn't have an aerial parry/dodge/block: so, at soon as you launch them in the air, they became completely helpless. No challange. -Boss fights- There are only 6 in the whole game, against the 13 of DMC1, the 14 of DMC3 and the 15 of DMC 4. All the bosses stand still with zero mobility. They usually remain dizzy for a long time after a few hits. Not challanging. They also talk for the entire fight: most of what they say is annoying or plain unintresting.

-Enemy design-
    The enemy design is unispired. Most of the "demons" just seem like robots came out of Enslaved (previous NT game). They use to be helpless as soon as launched mid-air. Every single one use to charge before hitting, giving plenty of time for the player countermove and erasing every difficulty or sense of danger. The Bosses are particularly ugly, resembling alien-monsters instead of majestic creatures as seen in previous DMC games.

-Graphics-
    Some landscapes are nicely done. Most of them are too much saturated and became annoying to the eye. The stages are most of the time messed up and they lack details. Indoor the rooms are always empty and there aren't intresting architecture in the game. The characters modelling is mediocre, with a special note for Mundus (particularly bad) and Lilith (her model is @ PS2 levels).

-Sound-
    The guns and swords sounds are weak and they make you feel like you are powerless. The soundtrack is decent but the lack of a recurring "fight theme" isn't good. -Story-
    The story is basically an emotionless and epicless version of DMC 3 mixed with the Mundus fight (DMC1). After completing the game one cannot ask himself what this reboot was needed for: the same story were told, and much better, in DMC 1 and DMC 3.
    The story is full of plotholes. -Characters-
    Dante: he is simply annoying. he's the less likeable characters of all, constantly calling the demons "pieces of **** "****-eaters", "fat-asses" and so on. The worste of him is during the Boss fight: before the battle is over you just want to mute the tv or throw the pad. Mundus: plain horrible. The former Mundus (DMC1) was basically a divinity, he was proud and noble, he did not swear and he considered the humans "useless beings". The new Mundus is some kind of wierdo wich likes to have sex with one of the ugliest woman in the universe (Lilith) and constantly talking about ripping out someone's heart. His motives are now inconsistent, considering the Sparda is just "guilty" of falling in love with an angel.

Lilith: horrible, rude, nasty, ugly. She is everything a character (good or evil) should NOT be. Kat: a decent character, she is basically the counterpart of Lady, but without badassery. Vergil: total disappointment. He is incredibly weak. He escapes with no reasons and is no more a cold, noble, character. He is not as bad as Dante, but as soon as you start thinking "oh well, at least he is classy" he throws a "i have a bigger dick" joke. The order: they basically don't exist. You see the base, 3 guys in the background and that's it. -The city as a danger-
    The city "wich want to kill you" is just a bunch of pre-scripted sequences. You can basically sit down while the walls are closing to crash you: they will simply stop. When you fall, you simply reappear back: no damage, no fights, no nothing. -Platforming-
    Basically you have to pull some platforms and jump on it. In some of the stages it is too much and became annoying. You get bored of it pretty soon.

-Dialogues-
    The lowest dialogues in gaming history. lot of unneeded swearing. enemyes taling about pucking on your face, pissing in your neck and ****ting on your carcass. Annoying, rude, horrible. Anyone should feel offended to be trated like this. All in all, this game rapresents the worst of the actual society. It is a poor manifestation of a japanese producer trying too hard to be western.
    It is the product of a desrespectful team (NT) wich trolled the entire fanbase (even during some scenes of the game).
    This is the destruction of quality .
    The triumph of desrespect.
    I bought the game faithfully and i regret it. Not worth 60 $: if you have taste and dignity, is not worth 1 cent.
  49. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  50. Jan 16, 2013
    This game was a complete trainwreck since the beginning... I just can't sum up all the things DmC does wrong: slow and laggy gameplay, too easy enemies and bosses, unattractive character design, boring platforming, such an unoriginal story with a lame ending,and plot filled with disgusting and even offensive stuff... It just left a bad aftertaste; I really needed to replay DMC3 to get ridThis game was a complete trainwreck since the beginning... I just can't sum up all the things DmC does wrong: slow and laggy gameplay, too easy enemies and bosses, unattractive character design, boring platforming, such an unoriginal story with a lame ending,and plot filled with disgusting and even offensive stuff... It just left a bad aftertaste; I really needed to replay DMC3 to get rid of the sensation of failure this game left in me...
    NT and Capcom hyped this game too much, and in the end it didn't deliver... DmC is a mediocre hack n' slash, and doesn't deserve the title of DevilMayCry.
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    This is not the game you might be expecting.
    This is not the game you might be expecting.
    Perhaps you were eager to get your hands on this game because of its title. "DEVIL MAY CRY", it says, claiming to be a part of the superb franchise that revolutionized hack and slash gameplay and set the standard for 3D action games since its debut. This game brought this revolution to a full stop and instead chose to dumb down the complex combo mechanics that its prequels have perfected over the years.

'Streamlined' is the right word to describe the gameplay offered in DMC. Linear corridors, nearly broken combo mechanics that offer up infinite attack strings early on in the game, and a story that is either predictable or just horrendously insulting to the player. You will see very grotesque imagery throughout your playthrough (starting at the main menu screen) and dialogue that is downright juvenile.

If you yearn for a well designed hack and slash game, don't get your hopes up with this one. It is playable when it comes to mechanics, but the real problem is being able to actually endure the dialogue and imagery that the designers of this game seem to consider artistic.
  52. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm absolutely amazed to see the user score so low on this game. Diablo 3 deserved an abyssmal rating, not this one. It's disgusting that this game has garnered such hatred. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved the crap out of bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action, story, and visuals. It isI'm absolutely amazed to see the user score so low on this game. Diablo 3 deserved an abyssmal rating, not this one. It's disgusting that this game has garnered such hatred. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved the crap out of bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action, story, and visuals. It is almost on par with arkham city for action, I would say maybe 3rd in my book for story (behind chrono trigger and the original bioshock as the ultimate #1), but the story is great. Things are pretty well spelled out after the first few levels, but with a good twist at the end. I feel like it could've been done a bit better, but it is still leaps and bounds above the story of most games. Next, let me get onto the combat. Honestly, if you are on the fence, play the demo. The combat system is fantastic. If I had one complaint, it's that the dodge system feels just a little bit lacking compared to bayonetta, but it is all in all incredible. Once you think you have a perfect combo mapped out and perfected, a thousand other viable options become available. By the time you finish the game, you can easily see that you've got your work cut out for you. There are weapons and attacks for every play style here. Finally, the visuals. Absolutely breathtaking. Limbo contains more than a few memorable set pieces, and I was truly impressed with what they could come up with. I will admit, when they first talked of a reboot to devil may cry, I was a bit pissed. It looked like it was going to be a steaming pile of $&*%, but I am very happy to admit I was completely wrong. I have only played devil may cry 4, but from what I'm told, this is easily the best entry in the series. I can't recommend this game highly enough. Forget the 12 year olds on metacritic, this is a must buy. I'm a huge dead space and bioshock fan but I don't think I will be picking those games up until well after release because there is such a ridiculous amount of playback value in this game. Try the demo, if you like it, you will love the game. Trust me on this one Expand
  53. Jan 17, 2013
    From a neutral standpoint you probably either think that anyone who doesn't think the game is awesome is just another "hater" who spends all day complaining about hair, or that this reboot is the worst game ever depending on who you listen to in this complete mess of a marketing campaign. Its hard to find a truthful and educated opinion from either sides in this internet slug fest, CapcomFrom a neutral standpoint you probably either think that anyone who doesn't think the game is awesome is just another "hater" who spends all day complaining about hair, or that this reboot is the worst game ever depending on who you listen to in this complete mess of a marketing campaign. Its hard to find a truthful and educated opinion from either sides in this internet slug fest, Capcom and Ninja Theory have been bashing anyone with a difference of opinion and trying to discredit them, while some of fans of the original DMC have been spending all day on the forums of Capcom and even giving death threats. I am a huge fan of DMC 1 and 3, DMC in particular is a high standard in the genre which i do not think has been met to this day, but when i first heard of the idea of a reboot my mind was actually open to the idea if it could be done right, but when i saw the trailers it didn't really interest me, but i didn't bash the game in the youtube comment sections, although i was disgusted with the way Capcom and Ninja Theory dealt with customers. What I am trying to say is that I am a DMC fan that came in with a open mind to this new reboot. I have played it solidly for the last week after renting it out and have not been overly impressed with the title, The game isn't bad but it isn't good either it instead is a completely mediocre game that you should have no problem leaving on the shelf at your local game store. The biggest thing holding it back is its sluggish frame rate, you simpally cannot make 30fps look like 60fps, Even more problematic is that the frame rate drops from 30fps to 20fps or even lower than that in my own experience, which seems unacceptable for dmc which has always run at a solid 60fps since DMC1. Also the combat seems incredibly basic and uninspired, Removing the lock on means removing directional inputs which results in a very small move set for Dante in this new DmC, not only that but it also means the combat is imprecise making it a guessing game whether or not you grapple or shot, swing or stab etc. Not that it really matters if you screw up your moves because the enemy AI is some of the worst i have ever seen in any game in the genre, the ai in this game is very close to DMC2 and that is not a good thing. Most enemies just stand there in combat very rarely swinging with a very slow and easily avoidable attack, the same can be said about most of the games bosses. Even on low difficulties a complete noob could finish this game without dying once. Take myself for instance, i beat this game 3 times in a single weak, i even managed to beat the game on Dante Must Die Mode without dying once, and this is not because im a master at DMC games, I'm pretty dam noob at DMC 3 and 4. But even DMC3 special edition on easy is harder than son of sparda mode on this reboot. The game is to short, it took me just over 10 hours on my first try and even less on my second and third. I found that the only reason the game is as long as it is, that is because of the platforming sections. These sections may look cool but add no real gameplay to the game at all, these sections are way too slow, you could walk most of the platforming sections and still survive, they are there purely to pad the games length and they put heavy restrictions on player by forcing them down a linear path. This isn't the only place were the game is linear though, several enemies can only be killed by one particular weapon, removing player choice from combat, this is dull and boring its as if the developers want everyone to play the game the exact same way and hold our hands throughout the whole game. Maybe because if we played the game a different way the game would glitch out, because the game did so for me many times, several of the glitches forced me to quit the game and start the level over, and i wasn't looking for glitches which is what most Capcom fanboys will say to defend the game. The style meter is now a complete joke, all you need to do to get SSS style is use the demon dodge once then swing the red axe and boom, in one combo you are at SSS, once your there just dont get hit and the style doesn't drop, which you can do easily with a attack you use that keeps you in the air, and drags enemies off the ground into the air with you, there is no longer any skill required to get SSS style. And the thing which Ninja Theory fanboys claimed their favourite developer would destroy the old developers at is story. To my surprise Ninja Theory screwed this up so bad, Previous DMC titles had the story line of a b grade action movie, cheesy but still enjoyable because of how over the top and stylish it was.This new DmC story is more like a 13 year old boy trying to write an edgy story but ultimately just trying to hard to be cool.Dialogue mainly consists of swear words, bad sex jokes, and the new Dante thinking he's awesome when really he is just a douche. The same can be said about most of the characters.No time to cover graphics and sound Expand
  54. Jan 23, 2013
    This game made me die a little inside. Not all of it is bad tough; the soundtrack isn't bad, but not good either, the graphics are good at least, even if the colours look strange, and combat is enjoyable and easy (too easy even, at least for the more experienced gamers). Then comes the bad, which is everything else. I'm a huge fan of the real DMC games, and even I have to admit the storyThis game made me die a little inside. Not all of it is bad tough; the soundtrack isn't bad, but not good either, the graphics are good at least, even if the colours look strange, and combat is enjoyable and easy (too easy even, at least for the more experienced gamers). Then comes the bad, which is everything else. I'm a huge fan of the real DMC games, and even I have to admit the story is not their strong point; compared to this, however, they're masterpieces. The plot is stupid, over the top, dumbed down garbage that wouldn't convince a 5 year old. Also, it is a rare game which makes me want to kill the protagonist more than the villains. The real Dante may have been **** and a bit of a jock, but he was genuinely cool and likable, unlike this guy, known henceforth as Johnny McFailville. Maybe it would be rated higher if it wasn't pretending to be DMC, but as it is, it's not worth the money or the effort to complete the game. This is not DMC, and it's a bad game, no matter what every sold out game critic says; mr. Johnny McFailville fails to convince (and even the real Vergil would have a hard time coming out looking good after shooting a pregnant woman). I bought every DMC when it came out, tried this yesterday at a friend's place; wouldn't buy this piece of crap if it was 5 bucks in the bargain bin. Expand
  55. Jan 23, 2013
    As much as I wanted to hate this game with a firey passion for the Edward Cullenization of Dante...I just cant. This game is nigh unplayable don't get me wrong. The characters are far from likable, so much so that if, at any part of the game, Dante had decided to kick a puppy, I doubt I would've been surprised. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a 13 year old boy who just learnedAs much as I wanted to hate this game with a firey passion for the Edward Cullenization of Dante...I just cant. This game is nigh unplayable don't get me wrong. The characters are far from likable, so much so that if, at any part of the game, Dante had decided to kick a puppy, I doubt I would've been surprised. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a 13 year old boy who just learned to swear from his abusive step-father. Basically they took a fun camp game we all love and "modernized" it. The gameplay is it's saving grace. Its tight, fast and a lot of fun, much like the old games. Although the lack of a lockon or targeting system, make parts of this game a nightmare. And thats to say nothing of the level and boss fights which are amazing! However the fact still remains that there are several middle fingers to the fans sprinkled about the game. All in all this game pushes me WAY to far and practically begs me to put it down. If I can't stand the main character, why would I want to play his game? The Problem is not that they changed Dante, It's what they changed him too. Expand
  56. Jan 31, 2013
    Great an fast storytelling. The combat system is well balanced and easy to learn but hard to master. The Reboot was the best Dante could happened (with or without white hair)
  57. Jan 30, 2013
    This is the first DMC i had ever played and for those saying its repetitive obviously didnt get far enough to unlock all the skill sets and all demon/angels weapons. This game keeps your attention as the gameplay constantly changes and each mission has a different feel to it. I can't understand the overall negativity of users on this game, What a great way to start 2013. The story was alsoThis is the first DMC i had ever played and for those saying its repetitive obviously didnt get far enough to unlock all the skill sets and all demon/angels weapons. This game keeps your attention as the gameplay constantly changes and each mission has a different feel to it. I can't understand the overall negativity of users on this game, What a great way to start 2013. The story was also very witty and this new DANTE kicks some..White hair Dante is dead! Expand
  58. Jan 31, 2013
    I played the game since it came out, super excited for it.
    I put the game in my xbox and i was enthralled.
    The game has amazing production value and the oozes style, fighting is fun and fast. I'm still playing the game (currently going through heaven or hell mode) and i'm still loving every second. The only thing i don't care for is the lack of a manuel lock-on system which would've
    I played the game since it came out, super excited for it.
    I put the game in my xbox and i was enthralled.
    The only thing i don't care for is the lack of a manuel lock-on system which would've been great.

Dont listen to all the angry reviews it's simply not fair to give this game a 1 or 2, a true 1 or 2 game would be mindjack and so on.
  59. Jan 31, 2013
    This is the best Devil May Cry game since before the first game even came out! The game has great art direction that alternates between two distinct worlds with a brilliant soundtrack, and the plot has a kitschy '80s feel about it. I particularly like the design of Dante, who wears a stylish coat and has amazing hair (there's a hilarious moment where Dante tries on a white wig and notesThis is the best Devil May Cry game since before the first game even came out! The game has great art direction that alternates between two distinct worlds with a brilliant soundtrack, and the plot has a kitschy '80s feel about it. I particularly like the design of Dante, who wears a stylish coat and has amazing hair (there's a hilarious moment where Dante tries on a white wig and notes how ridiculous it looks... so funny). And above all, the combat is great fun, with lots of combos spanning across numerous different weapon styles. The game has an extensive range of unlockable difficulty modes and good replay value. An absolute triumph and a real breakthrough for the series. Expand
  60. Feb 7, 2013
    Absolutely fun action game, with amazing level design and complementary music and sound effects. Story witch is not top notch by any means is good enough to pull you in and make you want to see want is going to happen next, as well as giving a solid ground for character development.
  61. Feb 11, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is everything the series needed even if it’s something the fan base never wanted no there aren’t any demonic tanks or evil infused puppets but there is a will to advance the series with enriched environments that are beautifully crafted, better control schemes that don’t have you constantly beating your controller against a brick wall and a less convolutedThis Devil May Cry reboot is everything the series needed even if it’s something the fan base never wanted no there aren’t any demonic tanks or evil infused puppets but there is a will to advance the series with enriched environments that are beautifully crafted, better control schemes that don’t have you constantly beating your controller against a brick wall and a less convoluted story that doesn’t have dante screaming “I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHTTTTTT” and then escaping in a biplane no you won’t be running through a castle to fight one boss only to have to run through the same castle to the same area to fight another boss what you will have to do is relax and allow the geniuses at Ninja Theory to tell you a tale or in the case of some fans allow them to strap you into a straight jacket and force feed you the Nuevo devil may cry medicine .

(Dont get me wrong i loved the original devil may cry and it remains one of my favorite capcom games of all time.....right after Resident evil and Onimusha but to be perfectly honest this game was needed to bring back a franchise that would otherwise have been left buried under a mountain of Street fighter DLC)
  62. Jan 25, 2013
    The is a great reboot of the franchise and keeps all of the fun action elements of the previous installments. The art is awesome and the design of the levels are all unique. The acting can be bland at times but gives a better story than previous DMC games.
  63. Jan 26, 2013
    DMC is an excellent combination of old and new. You've got stylish action and the B movie vibe while mixing things up for a more interesting narrative and fun combat that doesn't require you to memorize a list of move sets. The campaign is short but you'll have fun.
  64. Feb 14, 2013
    Let me start by saying I never played any other devil may cry( I know). Now that that is out of the way. This game is a fantastic action game with a great story amazing visuals. The weapons you get are fun easy to use but complicated at the same time. Stinging combos together to try and get a ss score is gratifying and frustrating all in one. The world you are is beautiful and engrossing ILet me start by saying I never played any other devil may cry( I know). Now that that is out of the way. This game is a fantastic action game with a great story amazing visuals. The weapons you get are fun easy to use but complicated at the same time. Stinging combos together to try and get a ss score is gratifying and frustrating all in one. The world you are is beautiful and engrossing I found myself just looking around. I would recommend this to any action genre fan Expand
  65. Feb 7, 2013
    Many people are bashing on this game, while yes I admit I HATE the new Dante it doesn't mean the game deserves a 0 it's a decent game, great gameplay, and while it may be easier you have to understand that some of these changes were done to help introduce new players. Overall, if you can get over Dante and you look at the core components of what makes a good game it passes.
  66. Feb 12, 2013
    Anyone insulting this game to me seems to still be upset over the "They changed Dante!?" issue from 2010. I say this as I suffered from this and wanted nothing to do with the game, until September last year when I saw the trailers. Even then you have the option of reverting back to the Classic Dante look in the download content. He is even put in the mid-mission cutscenes and almost all ofAnyone insulting this game to me seems to still be upset over the "They changed Dante!?" issue from 2010. I say this as I suffered from this and wanted nothing to do with the game, until September last year when I saw the trailers. Even then you have the option of reverting back to the Classic Dante look in the download content. He is even put in the mid-mission cutscenes and almost all of the pre and post mission cutscenes. For starters I can say I prefer these characters to the old ones. I hate all things hipster and dub-step like, but this Dante seems more of a badass than the old one, he was witty and had a cooler edge that the previous Dante lacked. This Vergil, while more 'nerdy' in my view, is better in almost all aspects. And the leading girl is by far the best one from all the DmC games. I mean on looks alone Kat has them beat, and she also has a better background story. This story makes more sense than the other (especially DMC4 as I am still wondering how Nero came to acquire Sparda's blood and power) That was not really explained well. Really is he his son, nephew, some guy that drank his blood, what happened? The fact I had to replay every mission, location and boss fight in DMC4 made me want to commit suicide and realize how dry the well was for Capcom and how far they went for you unappreciative fans, just so you could use Dante. Really I don't thing you understand what else they could have done with those extra missions. The same with the DMC3 special edition with Vergil. The music is better than the previous two, especially DMC3. I remember trying my hardest after mission 1 in DMC4 to finish all fight scenes to avoid hearing the phrase 'The time has come and so have I.' (First verse of Nero fight scenes.) The music is different in almost all the locations and fight scenes, and get me more geared up for fighting than the other games did. The combat, I have the feeling it turned out like this because everyone wanted the iconic style ranking system and combo system, and then criticised Ninja Theory for not doing anything but make it slower and that they just copied it from the old ones, even though it was largely requested that the combat system should remain the same, or else. The 'lack of locking on' for me is a good thing, even though it is still there and they just got rid of the annoying ring. Locking on made it too easy, or too restricting, because i found I could change targets for abilities, such as Drive, by changing by flicking the stick/d-pad in the direction of the target you wanted to hit instead, either during the charge or just before the attack. Yeah it got slower, but when i played the other games afterwards, i didn't find that it got that much slower. The only down with the combat for me was the ease in which I could fill the progress through the style ratings to SSS. Nobody should complain about the mixed attribute fights being chore like, as those create the best combo atmosphere. If you want a challenge, complete those on Heaven or Hell without taking damage, especially the mixed Rages. I also read that someone said the fights were too easy on the harder levels, even though he didn't complete the game. This made me want to punch my hire a team of agents to find whoever it was, so I could kick them in the balls, because...YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE THE GAME TO UNLOCK ANY OF THE CHALLENGING DIFFICULTIES. That was directed at you Wesker500. I recommend completing this game on Nephilim level and then going up from there for the challenging fights. And Dante pretty much gets the same amount of weapons in this DmC as he did in DMC4, the weapons are pretty similar to those in all the other Devil May Crys but then again, the weapons are repetitive, and repeat themselves over and over, but in different colours. I love the half angel, half demon angle, and the weapons and powers as this made linking combos, cooler and fun, and doing so made me feel the style rank was earned, even though I think it was just put in there because, all the fans wanted it there to judge it, and the producers probably didn't. The environment is better, I enjoy that it changes a lot throughout the game, but I do miss some of the gothic themes. I didn't experience any glitches or framework problems, when I played it, so maybe it depends on the owners console/platform. I found it to be a great gaming experience, far better than its predecessor, as it was enjoyable for longer, and has better replay value. Expand
  67. Feb 13, 2013
    Somewhere in time I lost my love for rapid action hack n slash games but this game is insane! My love is back! The controls and gameplay are so well balanced. It's has a very understandable control system that lets you chain all the moves with all the other moves to combine wicked combos. The enemies are very diverse and challenge you to come up with different tactics. Always changing itSomewhere in time I lost my love for rapid action hack n slash games but this game is insane! My love is back! The controls and gameplay are so well balanced. It's has a very understandable control system that lets you chain all the moves with all the other moves to combine wicked combos. The enemies are very diverse and challenge you to come up with different tactics. Always changing it up. The music is very cool too and the environment design is very very good. Gorgeous locations and inventive levels make sure you'll never have a dull moment even if there are no enemies around. That brings me to the pacing which is just just perfect. It's fighting, climbing, resting, jumping, running at just the right speed.

I really like this game. highly recommended.
  68. Feb 13, 2013
    Most of the reviews about this game are biased and uncalled for. DMC is exactly what a devil may cry should be; a wise cracking gun toting sword wielding anti-hero out to defeat the demons.

Story is well written if a little predictable. The combat system is easy to get used to but difficult to master, which i suppose is one of the replay values in a DMC game. However all the other stuff you'd expect in a DMC game is there too such as Dante Must Die mode etc... The only differences between this and other entries is that Dante is a) younger b) has different colour of hair and is not overly using the colour red as past incarnations did.

And none of this is a bad thing I like the old Dante and I like the new one. The new Dante is not a middle finger to the DMC fans he's an evolution. He has the same charm and wit of the old Dante, just more attitude. Which basically boils down to an overuse of bad language and gestures but i like this as i think it makes sense when you consider the psychological aspects of Dante's character in DMC.

Change should be embraced; so what that Dante now has black hair instead of white; that he is more Punk Rock than Glam Pop the game itself is a good game. Does what its supposed to and offers up what a DMC game should.

My final point is this if you think the combat system is "bad" or "clunky" or anything else go back and play the first Devil May cry on ps2 or HD collection and then try DMC. As DMC has a fast paced easy to pick up combat system while the original DMC has a very clunky combat system.
  69. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I picked up DmC the other day over all the protests that I've heard about it on this site. Why? Because I took a look at it on youtube and watched some other people play it before I dismissed it as a bad game. Guess what? It's not. The combat is as enjoyable as you make it, like any of the other DMC games, there are a few different weapons to choose from, just like the other DMC games, and you decide which ones you like the best and learn to kick ass stylishly with them. There are only a few enemies where you are really limited to what you have to use and they are color-coded, so you're not at a loss as to what to do. The new Dante is a bit more snarky-skater-punk-hipster than the old Dante, who was a ninja turtle with white hair and a red jacket, so pick your poison as far as characters go, but let's face it; no one plays these games for the story, it's for the combat. The writing is not great, that's true. It's a little ham-fisted as far as a the evil propaganda news network goes, and they didn't steal a subplot just from They Live (which is really good and one of John Carpenter's best and you should watch it), but also from Futurama ("Fry and the Slurm Factory"), so that's unfortunate but, again, no one plays an action game for the story. Mario is a pretty stock platformer and no one is knocking nintendo for the "there's a princess, you're a good guy, what else do you need?" as a storyline. As far as the presentation of the game goes, it's decent for the game but a little forced into the "gritty reboot" corner for the story and the setting, but there are some fantastic levels that go outside that spectrum and really make the game look good such as the platforming sections inside Dante's mind and the Club level. There are even sections of the game in each level where they toss the camera into a corner or above him that are reminiscent of the old games and look damn good to boot. Fact is, most of these reviews are based on get-off-my-lawn nostalgia and not an accurate appraisal of the older games in the series. If this is a reboot, even as a one-off, it's a decent game in its own right. Don't trust the haters who just got an account to get a soapbox. Give it a look, give it a try. If you like action games of the hack and slash variety with just enough depth to give you some options, you'll probably like it. I do. Expand
  70. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is very disappointing if you have played the previous games. So don't expect any new and improved features. The characters are boring and none of them are very likable, the story isn't very good, and it isn't very fun. The soundtrack was pretty bad in my opinion, as I am not a fan of heavy metal, but I won't count that against the game. The combat is fun for a while but it is farThis game is very disappointing if you have played the previous games. So don't expect any new and improved features. The characters are boring and none of them are very likable, the story isn't very good, and it isn't very fun. The soundtrack was pretty bad in my opinion, as I am not a fan of heavy metal, but I won't count that against the game. The combat is fun for a while but it is far too easy, you can achieve S ranks without much of a problem. The boss battles are one of the greatest aspects about his game because they require you to use tactics to exploit the bosses weakness. It really doesn't stick with you when you turn the game off. I played through the game once and never felt the urge to play again. While it isn't absolute garbage, I have to give it a three out of ten because I have played much better games. Expand
  71. Mar 1, 2013
    The low user score on this game, is solely because of people's inclinement to hate it for changing the original style and characters on the franchise. I for one, am a big fan of the DMC franchise, and even though, I, as everybody else hated Ninja Theory's new take the first time i saw it, i decided to give the game a chance. In all honesty, this is one of the best H&S games that's comeThe low user score on this game, is solely because of people's inclinement to hate it for changing the original style and characters on the franchise. I for one, am a big fan of the DMC franchise, and even though, I, as everybody else hated Ninja Theory's new take the first time i saw it, i decided to give the game a chance. In all honesty, this is one of the best H&S games that's come around in the last couple of years, as well as, by far, Ninja Teory's best work (and this is coming from a fan of Enslaved and Heavenly Sword). Even when the combat isn't as deep as DMC3 or (arguably) DMC4, it's much deeper than your typical run of the mill melee action game, with new Dante's new mechanics making you alternate between long ranged fast angel weapons, slow and strong demon weapons, and the regular rebellion, as well as giving you three different ranged weapons and two types of hooks for either bringing your enemies close or quickly coming to them, with most of old DMC's signature attack's such as the stinger, with simplified controls. Yet again, it may not be as deep as old DMC's combat, but it's pretty close, and it's a blast.

As for the other aspects of the game, the story is full of cliches, but it's way better than your typical H&S game story, and honestly (at the risk of enraging DMC orthodox fans) much more interesting than anything DMC's previously offer story wise, though it lacks the charm of the old characters. By far impressive "non-gameplay" aspect of the game is it's visuals, which aren't quite like anything i've seen before, all the different visual concepts of the limbo world are just jaw dropping, amazingly well achieved, and are complemented by a sick soundtrack that gives the game a whole new attitude.

Overall, i was a sceptic about as other DMC fans, but i'm not blinded by my scepticism, so I was much able to enjoy this fantastic game, and you should too if you leave aside your fanboy crying for the old Dante and the old DMC style and take it for what it is.
  72. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
  73. Mar 10, 2013
    Great game, good story and excellent combat. Don't believe the "fan's" negative reviews, but try it and you will be not disappointed. Trust me, i did the same and has 70 hours gameplay now.
  74. Mar 20, 2013
    THE GOOD: GAMEPLAY- Combat is a blast throughout the game, which is in part do to new weapons being added to your arsenal at consistent intervals. Switching between those weapons mid combo is fluid. The amount of platforming feels appropriate and is enjoyable.
    Graphics- Probable the best part of the game (which is often a bad sign) is the graphics. This game is beautiful to behold, especially while Dante is in limbo. THE BAD:
    Characters and Story- I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed Dante. He is juvenile and kinda of a tool, but it made for a memorable and sometimes funny character. His character progression is awful. They failed to show me why he began to care about what was going on in the story or why he didn't care to begin with. All they had was the revalation of his parents past, but it wasn't very impactful as it should have been. The rest of the characters boring and forgettable. Same thing goes for the story, which is a shame since this is a prequel/reboot, and was a prime opportunity to hook people on the world and mythos of Devil May Cry.
    CONCLUSION- Even for its faults this game was fun from beginning to end and does not deserve the user scores it is getting on here. Although the developer could have avoided much of this hate if they took more care paying homage to the previous games of this series in its gameplay and especially it's story and characters
  75. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've had my doubts about DmC: Devil may Cry since it's announcement for obvious reasons. The cover art alone with the new model of Dante is not a pretty sight to see as the face of what was an amazing game series. I tried to look beyond that when I finally picked up this game so I could finally say once again that I have beaten all the DMC games. This however was not a possibility. This game contradicts everything that made DMC great. Why does Dante no longer know his father, why is his mother an angel? why didn't Dante recognise Vergil as his brother? Why does Dante become loving and caring? WHY DANTES REMODEL? I tried to enjoy the game by looking past these issues but it was just not possible. I understand that this game is a "reboot" but it is just not needed. An awful story, awful level design and awful boss battles and strategies. Tie all this with the "Limbo to real life" game settings and it just creates a confusing atmosphere that is difficult to follow and just outright makes zero sense. Even the final battle is just a literal copy and paste combination of the bosses from Devil may Cry (the original) and Devil may Cry 4. I guess this is what happens when a new company takes over a popular gaming franchise as seen with many other games recently. Not to mention to most controversial scene in this game which essentially is a massive F**K YOU to long time DmC fans. Nice move Ninja Theory. Expand
  76. Feb 7, 2013
    The first original devil may cry was my very first ps2 game back in the the day. I always remember how great it played and it looked fantastic. My expectations were lower back then and when dmc2 arrived I was quite disappointed, then the third installment was a bit better followed by the dreary 4th. Then news of a reboot surfaced and I wasn't that interested as my interest in the seriesThe first original devil may cry was my very first ps2 game back in the the day. I always remember how great it played and it looked fantastic. My expectations were lower back then and when dmc2 arrived I was quite disappointed, then the third installment was a bit better followed by the dreary 4th. Then news of a reboot surfaced and I wasn't that interested as my interest in the series had gone. I watched a few videos and read comments from everyone moaning about the new Dante and how the game looked. n vtime I just realised thatit finally, I was hooked. It's slick, funny and impressive these were fans who couldn't let go. When I played it I was well impressed. People seriously have to get over it and accept that its a brilliant solid game Expand
  77. Mar 2, 2013
    When I first started this game, I had no idea what to expect, I was filled to the brim with different opinions from other people about whether this change for the series was a bad idea or badly needed. Now before I bought this game, I went out and bought the HD collection so I could get the most out of the past games and see if I turned into one of those who sought out to destroy this newWhen I first started this game, I had no idea what to expect, I was filled to the brim with different opinions from other people about whether this change for the series was a bad idea or badly needed. Now before I bought this game, I went out and bought the HD collection so I could get the most out of the past games and see if I turned into one of those who sought out to destroy this new upcoming series, even played the fourth one, which didn't really revolve around Dante, but was still interesting. Back to the matter at hand, I was extremely intrigued to see how they could turn such an interesting concept and amount of gameplay, to make it anew. Well, to say the least, it was interesting. As soon as it began, I knew it was going to be made to impress the more recent generation. The bumping of music constantly, the fast gameplay, but..still a good amount of story and even a taste of politics to hold everything together. Finishing the game in one playthrough, it had captivated me to find out where it was all going, how Capcom decided to put things from the original series. Enemies could get a bit repetitive at times and the moves as well, but platforming and cutscenes were smooth as can be. To really set replay value, there are all sorts of difficulty settings to keep the spirit alive. All in all, a great game, a possible great start to a renovation of a great series. Expand
  78. Feb 12, 2013
    I just finished it, and i loved every second of it, there is a lot of combos, great visuals, pretty good story line although the game is kind of short and there are not too many boss fights, but still the boss fights were really cool!! this game just makes you wanna play it more and more, one just cant put the controller down wile playing this, it really never gets boring at any point, II just finished it, and i loved every second of it, there is a lot of combos, great visuals, pretty good story line although the game is kind of short and there are not too many boss fights, but still the boss fights were really cool!! this game just makes you wanna play it more and more, one just cant put the controller down wile playing this, it really never gets boring at any point, I recommend you to buy this game if you are a real gamer and enjoy playing good games instead of bi*ching about them unlike these 500+ butthurt "fans" who gave this game a bad score.
    Sorry for bad English, I did my best
  79. Feb 23, 2013
    The user reviews are unfairly low for this game. The story and characters of this series have always been ridiculous, and this game is no different. If you honestly believed DMC 1-4 had a great story and characters, I am really embarrassed for you. It's a shame that this game isn't going to sell well because gameplay-wise, it's one of the best action games I've played in a long time. It isThe user reviews are unfairly low for this game. The story and characters of this series have always been ridiculous, and this game is no different. If you honestly believed DMC 1-4 had a great story and characters, I am really embarrassed for you. It's a shame that this game isn't going to sell well because gameplay-wise, it's one of the best action games I've played in a long time. It is incredibly polished and well balanced in contrast to many of the previous sequels, and I highly recommend it. Expand
  80. Apr 24, 2013
    I played this game as a fan of Ninja Theory, not as a fan of the Devil May Cry franchise. While I was disappointed in how much they reached back to their Heavenly Sword roots with the combat mechanic, I believe they executed it moderately better in this game. The facial animation/acting is a step down from what I came to expect by playing Enslaved, but still better than the vast majorityI played this game as a fan of Ninja Theory, not as a fan of the Devil May Cry franchise. While I was disappointed in how much they reached back to their Heavenly Sword roots with the combat mechanic, I believe they executed it moderately better in this game. The facial animation/acting is a step down from what I came to expect by playing Enslaved, but still better than the vast majority of games. Despite the popular sentiment, I found this game to be extremely difficult and would think that the 'easy' setting would be even easier to give access to a wider audience. My biggest problem, as with Heavenly Sword, was with the combat system. It is incredibly complex, but I can understand how after mastering it, the game might be too easy. I simply never mastered it. Even in the final boss fight I was hitting the wrong buttons frequently in a panic. The plot was middle of the road. It should have been better. I wanted to see more lore about the angel side of things. Almost all exposition lies in with the demon mythology. What really blew me away about this game was the level design. It is so dynamic and interesting that it made my brain tired. There is so much moving, changing and hidden for later. I was impressed at how complex it looked, while it was able to still give me guidance. I'm still looking forward to more from Ninja Theory, but could easily ditch the DmC intellectual property. Expand
  81. Feb 23, 2013
    Although the new look put me off. I enjoyed the solid gameplay. The fluidity of combat is a high set bar and something that all hack and slash games should set themselves at. The atmosphere and soundtrack made this game great to play. I'd like to see more things other than a DMC sequel for Ninja Theory to develop. But this game has some issues such as its Devil Trigger. Which made itAlthough the new look put me off. I enjoyed the solid gameplay. The fluidity of combat is a high set bar and something that all hack and slash games should set themselves at. The atmosphere and soundtrack made this game great to play. I'd like to see more things other than a DMC sequel for Ninja Theory to develop. But this game has some issues such as its Devil Trigger. Which made it awkward killing enemies. and its repetitive level layout. Overall this game is a great game. i recommend it to everyone. Expand
  82. Feb 20, 2013
    Much easier than the previous games, yes. I can't see anything wrong with that though, as this game is more available to the casual gamer. I have finished the game on devil hunter, nephilim and son of Sparda and haven't had any real problems except for a few fights that were a bit challenging. Currently playing it through on Dante Must Die and even though I do agree that it should be wayMuch easier than the previous games, yes. I can't see anything wrong with that though, as this game is more available to the casual gamer. I have finished the game on devil hunter, nephilim and son of Sparda and haven't had any real problems except for a few fights that were a bit challenging. Currently playing it through on Dante Must Die and even though I do agree that it should be way harder than it is, I still enjoy it, hell, I'll even go as far to say I love it. The visuals in this game are absolutely amazing. The art direction is fantastic! As for the music, I liked the soundtrack. The aggressive songs with Combichrist pumped me right up at the start of the fights.

Old fans of the series seem to boycott this game without even trying it and that is ridiculous. Just look at the user score of this game and you'll see what I mean. I actually find the new Dante more enjoyable and likable as he seems more human (how ironic is that?) and even though he curses quite a lot in this game, it's always done in a tasteful manner. One thing I really enjoyed in this game was the ambitious attempt at a real story. I felt for Dante, Kat and Vergil and looking forward to the DLC.

The only thing that annoyed me in this game was the serious lack of bosses. In the previous games there were a tonne of bosses and in this game it's nowhere near enough of them! If they plan on making a sequel to this game, I hope they listen to the fans and implement more bosses as they usually are the one thing players look forward to and love about the DMC-franchise.

If you like hack 'n slash games with gorgeous visuals, tight control and metal music, I'll say this game is for you. if you hate this game with all of your existence, go back to the old games in the HD collection.
  83. Feb 25, 2013
    First thing's first Do not listen to anyone who's says that the game is a pure button masher, and that it's so easy that it's boring. I guarantee you that 99% of these people have not beaten the game on the hardest mode, nor have they completed every level on hard with an SSS ranking across the board. To do this, you must master the following:

- complete knowledge of each enemy's

- complete knowledge of each enemy's and/or boss' abilities/strengths/weaknesses
    - perfect reflexes to the point where you are able to either evade, parry or counter any/every attack from each enemy/boss
    - perfect knowledge of each and every level in the game, as speed is a key factor into you being awarded an SSS level ranking
    - complete knowledge of Dante's abilities in order to be able to initiate SSS combos regardless of the type of enemy/boss
    - no deaths, no damage taken, and very little to no use of consumables such as health/devil trigger stars (aka potions).

---------------------------------------------------------

Now, onwards to the review:

When I first saw the new look, the new Dante created by Ninja Theory truth be told, I was upset, and concerned that the game would turn out to essentially suck. Specifically, I did not like Dante's new look. I did not like how the level designs looked. And, I just wasn't convinced that Ninja Theory would be able to deliver a worthy reboot. I was wrong!

After playing DmC Devil May Cry and beating the game on Nephilim difficulty (a.k.a. 'The Full DmC Experience' difficulty), I am very happy to write that Ninja Theory did an awesome job with this gem of a game, and also that I haven't had this much fun with a Hack Slasher since Ninja Gaiden. Additionally, I'm also happy to inform you that in my opinion this game undoubtedly feels 100% like a Devil May Cry title. Furthermore, I actually like Dante's new look, and Vergil as well. They're both really attractive to be honest (I'm attracted to pixels/polygons, I know, it's sad), and I'm sorry if I come across as shallow, but an attractive character in any game that I play increases the fun factor, as well as the immersiveness.

Graphics: In one word? Phenomenal. Everything from the environments, all the various NPCs, the weapons, Dante himself- I'm talking EVERYTHING is polished to near perfection. The Unreal Engine is masterfully put to great use here. The characters look, sound and feel alive. Their facial expressions, their eyes, and the voice acting is something to behold. Team Ninja did such a good job here that we're talking above and beyond the uncanny valley. Not to be outdone the dynamic lighting, dynamic shadows, the particle effects... I could go on and on. It's all breathtaking. Furthermore, the game is devoid of any screen tearing or framerate issues. It runs beautifuly and flawlessly (at least the Xbox 360 version does).

Sound: Outstanding. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. The music adds perfectly to the atmosphere. So much fantastic work went into creating the soundtrack for this game that it had to be released on three separate CDs. Also, the SFX is equally well done. Everything from the growl of a Tyrant, to the shriek of a Witch, to the boom of the Eryx all sound completely authentic, and all add to the atmosphere of the game, as well as the fun factor of kicking some demon ass.

Gameplay: As stated before, I haven't had this much fun since playing the first Ninja Gaiden (remake/reboot) on the original Xbox. The God of War games also come to mind. Either way, the game is incredibly fun, and you shouldn't be surprised if you find yourself still playing in the wee hours of the morning. From what I recall, there are either six or seven difficulty levels. There's A LOT of unlockables, not to mention achievements. If you're a completionist, this game will provide you easily with over 100 hours of gametime. Dante's list of moves are plenty, and they are really fun to combine into what could be an SSS rank combo. Team Ninja put a lot of work and effort into making sure this game never gets old, even long after you've beat it the first time.

Is it worth your time and money? Absolutely, and every penny.

For those of you wondering Ninja Theory has DLC (it's a couple bucks over here) which allows you to customize Dante's look, and you can get "Classic Dante" back with this option. There's a lot more DLC coming, including Vergil's campaign, and I can't wait because he has his own unique weapons and abilities. According to previews, his DLC titled, "Vergil's Downfall," will add at least 6 hours of unique gameplay to the game.

In closing, I'd like to say that this game is fantastic. As a hardcore Devil May Cry fan, someone who bought the first game when it was released in 2001 on the PlayStation 2 and has never stopped playing since, I LOVE this game. You don't even need to be a Devil May Cry fan, and I'm confident you'll still love this game.

9 10
  84. Feb 6, 2013
    This is a good game! Graphics are nice, it has a stylish and artistic look. The story suits the style of game perfectly. To those who complain about story this is a hack n slash not and rpg. And the gameaplay is great fun. The controls are super responsive and the combos look and feel great to pull off. The level of difficulty ranges from easy to very challenging to suit most gamers. ToThis is a good game! Graphics are nice, it has a stylish and artistic look. The story suits the style of game perfectly. To those who complain about story this is a hack n slash not and rpg. And the gameaplay is great fun. The controls are super responsive and the combos look and feel great to pull off. The level of difficulty ranges from easy to very challenging to suit most gamers. To all you fan boys of the original series grow up and stop acting like spoilt brats. U got four games, be happy and appreciate that devolpers are trying to stay fresh and inventive. I sure dont want a boring and stagnant gaming world. If the game isnt for u personally thats fine but be more mature and critique the game on its true merrits dont just stamp your feet and cry cause u didnt get what u want. Your ruining the gaming world. U gotta evolve people. Expand
  85. Feb 7, 2013
    The best DMC since number 1. The new developers (Ninja Theory) made it more organic, less twitchy, and much more enjoyable than recent DMC's. Story and writing is also much much better than previous DMC's (not that it ever mattered in this game). Some of the more original level design of this generation. As an older gamer, I rarely complete a game more than once, but I know I will go backThe best DMC since number 1. The new developers (Ninja Theory) made it more organic, less twitchy, and much more enjoyable than recent DMC's. Story and writing is also much much better than previous DMC's (not that it ever mattered in this game). Some of the more original level design of this generation. As an older gamer, I rarely complete a game more than once, but I know I will go back around with this. Buy it to support Dante (in whatever form he takes) Expand
  86. Feb 8, 2013
    when hideki kamiya left capcom this saga died.
    Its kinda sad to see a great game fall like this, cmon EVEN KAZUMA K ANEKO SMT SERIES)hell with dmc3 ,also dmc4 was amazing....
  87. Feb 10, 2013
    Once you get past the fact that this game is a reboot of a beloved franchise you'll find a wonderful game hidden beneath. Combat Is fast, fun and engaging. The story is a combination of the plots of the first and third games but with a lot of fresh new twists added in so that veteran players won't be board. Speaking to Devil May Cry veterans, as a veteran myself, give DMC a chance. It's aOnce you get past the fact that this game is a reboot of a beloved franchise you'll find a wonderful game hidden beneath. Combat Is fast, fun and engaging. The story is a combination of the plots of the first and third games but with a lot of fresh new twists added in so that veteran players won't be board. Speaking to Devil May Cry veterans, as a veteran myself, give DMC a chance. It's a great little gem of a game that by the end manages to capture the true DMC essence even if it has a fresh coat of paint. Expand
  88. Feb 10, 2013
    I think I get why so many people hate this game but giving it so low score is just not understandable. This is not Devil may cry game...DMC 1 and 3 are definitely better than this one but this is very good action game with nice graphics and superb soundtrack that just fits in action gameplay perfectly. I'd say definitely one of the best action games on Xbox360...just don't compare this toI think I get why so many people hate this game but giving it so low score is just not understandable. This is not Devil may cry game...DMC 1 and 3 are definitely better than this one but this is very good action game with nice graphics and superb soundtrack that just fits in action gameplay perfectly. I'd say definitely one of the best action games on Xbox360...just don't compare this to other DMC games as this is completely different experience... Expand
  89. Feb 11, 2013
    Ok i admit i wasn't expecting much from this new Devil May Cry reboot it its pretty good the game starts with a great intro and a fun tutorial level. the weapons are great and work amazingly well together and are original and pretty epic looking. the combat is fairly fast paced and violent just as you would expect from a devil may cry game. the story isn't great but it picks up at the end.Ok i admit i wasn't expecting much from this new Devil May Cry reboot it its pretty good the game starts with a great intro and a fun tutorial level. the weapons are great and work amazingly well together and are original and pretty epic looking. the combat is fairly fast paced and violent just as you would expect from a devil may cry game. the story isn't great but it picks up at the end. the new Dante is not as funny or original as the one in the first three. overall it was a good attempt from capcom/ninja theory. sorry for the short review but i hope it helps. Expand
  90. Feb 12, 2013
    Ok first thing first, It is a pregnant Demon that gets shot in the belly..... Why this gets failed to mention in every review is crazy and is it not a game about hunting Demons, this kept me from playing the game cause you all make it sound like its a woman that get shot in the stomach....... and thats crap and you all know it. Now to the actual review, story wise it is very much a rip offOk first thing first, It is a pregnant Demon that gets shot in the belly..... Why this gets failed to mention in every review is crazy and is it not a game about hunting Demons, this kept me from playing the game cause you all make it sound like its a woman that get shot in the stomach....... and thats crap and you all know it. Now to the actual review, story wise it is very much a rip off of "they live" but its a good one..... i really enjoyed the story and really if you have played any of the other games the story is no better or worse in those ones, the combat in the game is well done..... my only complaint is your score does not reset until you get hit and it makes it really easy to get a crazy high score with minimal effort but all in all the combat is great. Graphics are great as well and the level design blew me away, you are always changing locations and the levels are highly well done. Now boss fights were amazing but they were all so easy, once you know what to do it is really easy to avoid getting hit and overcome the boss battles. Now the really bad part about this game is DANTE........ He is such an ass in this game, the old Dante was but this one just makes it hard to care about the story at all, really no one in this game is likable..... though towards the end of the game i did start to care slightly, i'm looking forward to what they do with the next game. Really it could have been better but it could have been a hell of a lot worse too. Now you might be thinking why should i trust this guys review....... to that i would say because i am a huge devil may cry fan, so much so that back in 2002 i had a son and i named him Dante...... Though that was after the old Dante. If your a fan i would say wait till it goes on sale and pick it up, still a great game even though no one is likable. Expand
  91. Feb 20, 2013
    This game is very good. Few faults.
    Pros
    - A lot of tricks
    - Many opponents
    - At completion point grading
    - Good atmosphere
    - Interesting story
    - Beautiful girls
    Cons
    - Poor perception
  92. Mar 5, 2013
    Ninja Theory has gone out of its way to create and breathe new life into the reboot of this beloved franchise. The hue and cry over Dante's new look would be short sighted and a downright silly reason to ignore this game. The developers have done an outstanding job trying to keep things familiar and at the same time different enough, setting the stage for things to come in future. NinjaNinja Theory has gone out of its way to create and breathe new life into the reboot of this beloved franchise. The hue and cry over Dante's new look would be short sighted and a downright silly reason to ignore this game. The developers have done an outstanding job trying to keep things familiar and at the same time different enough, setting the stage for things to come in future. Ninja Theory has proven their expertise at handling the license and probably (at least in my opinion) outdone the original.

Visit: http://gamingimho.wordpress.com/ for the full review
  93. Mar 21, 2013
    I honestly think people are taking the whole new Dante design think way too seriously, Attacks have an amazing amount of variety and combos are fun and the enemies aren't half bad as well. Although i can definitely see why fans of the series would get pissed off, Im not rally a hardcore DMC fan either way so it doesn't really affect me as much. stories pretty cool but there isn't as muchI honestly think people are taking the whole new Dante design think way too seriously, Attacks have an amazing amount of variety and combos are fun and the enemies aren't half bad as well. Although i can definitely see why fans of the series would get pissed off, Im not rally a hardcore DMC fan either way so it doesn't really affect me as much. stories pretty cool but there isn't as much character development as hoped for except for in Dante and his brother. I liked it, it was fun and it was action packed Expand
  94. Mar 7, 2013
    Firstly it's interesting to see how many people wrote poor day one reviews about a game that they clearly hadn't played. As time goes on there seems to be more and more positiveness about this game. I do feel however, that the public are doing a good job about voicing concerns over genuine issues that are plaguing gaming such as EA's always online DRM for Sim City or EA's Pay to win microFirstly it's interesting to see how many people wrote poor day one reviews about a game that they clearly hadn't played. As time goes on there seems to be more and more positiveness about this game. I do feel however, that the public are doing a good job about voicing concerns over genuine issues that are plaguing gaming such as EA's always online DRM for Sim City or EA's Pay to win micro transactions... or just EA in general, however, it goes a bit far when we apply this to the colour of Dante's hair. Dante seems to have lost his Mojo, this is true. He also seems to have lost the ability to lock on to enemies, to be nice to people and to smile. This is where the negativity should end. Many of us who have played the game rather than the demo feel that DMC has been treated unjustly. Ninja Theory have done a very good job and technically it is a visual treat (stop whining about a 30fps cap if you really care get a TV with motion plus). The gameplay is fluid and complex. Resorting to the alleged button bashing that some 'hard core Devil May Cry' players seem to resort to will only get you as far as in previous devil may cry games (i.e. through human mode). The stand out point is the level design. Just Awesome. In a gaming world where we are getting some repetitive and generic level design, Ninja Theory have really though outside the box and provided some of the most original and mid bending level design in an action game to date. How this can be described as bland and unoriginal in some user reviews is beyond me... seriously check back over Devil May Cry 4 and look at how much back tracking you have to do through fortuna castle!! I also wonder about whether some of the negative die hard Devil May Cry fanboys actually played all the Devil May Cry series. To say that the gameplay is dumbed down from Devil May Cry 2 is just not true! In fact you may find that many of the same reviewers also complained about Nero in Devil May Cry 4, saying the action had been dumbed down which I enjoyed by the way... but I prefer DMC (5). The only true Devil May Cry games have been 1 and 3. The addition of triggers to instigate Angel or Demon Weapons is a genuis move, and i feel that adding enemies that require specific attacks was a good way of avoiding the button bashing that people believe they are doing. I feel that Capcom have suffered from a premature reboot. I truly believe that they could have churned out a continuation of the original series, however, to trash this game is to snub a great effort from a development team who have made a great game I just wish we could have a DMC line and a Devil May Cry continuation like Modern warfare and black ops... oh and vergils downfall is even better! The story comes into its own in the add on. Expand
  95. Mar 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. while the story was botched and Dante's re-design was questionable, the gameplay was excellent and addictive. One thing that annoyed me however was the fact that Mundus transforms into your typical generic behemoth, while he could have had a more interesting fight. Expand
  96. Mar 25, 2013
    I felt the need to sign up and finally post my own review just because of the negative ones i have seen. Ok, I am a HUGE devil may cry fan. But i didnt really get into the series until DMC 4, so maybe thats why i dont feel as betrayed as some of these other people do. But i own ALL of the dmc's now and have played them all. And love them all, the second one a little less though. But youI felt the need to sign up and finally post my own review just because of the negative ones i have seen. Ok, I am a HUGE devil may cry fan. But i didnt really get into the series until DMC 4, so maybe thats why i dont feel as betrayed as some of these other people do. But i own ALL of the dmc's now and have played them all. And love them all, the second one a little less though. But you all are totally wrong on this game. Yes, it is weird having this version of Dante. But this is still a very good game. I am just over half way through it, but thats enough to see the quality here. The game is also loaded with content. With multiple game modes and multiple secret missions. And a ton of upgrades. The game isnt perfect, but you people giving it 3s and 4s are out of your freakin minds, I LOVE the combat system in this game. Yea, i wish you could lock on targets still. But honestly the control scheme wouldnt work with a lock on button. And i love how every button can be remapped. This is a very high quality game. The only problem i have with it so far is sometimes it gets a little too neon-y in color lol. But i can live with that. All in all its a very fun game with alot of content, and well worth the money. And personally i kinda like the new take on Dante. Granted, i loved old Dante MUCH more. But this game is still awesome. Expand
  97. Apr 3, 2013
    For everyone who is giving this game a 0 doesn't even know what a 0 rated game is. This game is NOT that bad. But if you are a hardcore Devil May Cry fan I would honestly not recommend picking this up because you would be disappointed. The problem that I have with this game was that it was too easy and the music could get annoying at some parts and on my console it froze a couple of timesFor everyone who is giving this game a 0 doesn't even know what a 0 rated game is. This game is NOT that bad. But if you are a hardcore Devil May Cry fan I would honestly not recommend picking this up because you would be disappointed. The problem that I have with this game was that it was too easy and the music could get annoying at some parts and on my console it froze a couple of times (it may had just been my x-box). But overall I like the gameplay and the bosses are unique. The characters aren't that memorable. Is it worth sixty dollars? In my opinion it isn't worth that much considering that it only took me ten hours to beat the entire thing on Heaven and Hell. It is just a game that you would have to pick up and try out for yourself. Either you would love it or hate it. Expand
  98. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels.
    10/10.
  99. Jan 19, 2013
    I'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view. For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying fromI'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view. For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying from various places, with beautiful colors. The combat is very easy to pick up and play, you can have fun creating combos, unlocking abilities, using the grapple in the platform stages, etc. The game follows the typical structure of video-combat-platforms-video again... the platforms are entertaining at first, and in some points of the later game, but in general their only purpose is to attach one combat with another while you unlock some secret stuff if you look around. The combat can entertain you the whole game because there are a lot of options creating combos but beware, the enemies are very easy to kill. The storytelling is well made, not complicated, not free of cliches but you may be interested on how it goes, and there are a few moments of the game very very well made, with lots of effort in them, but with places where it feels a little rushed. I would only recommend it if you really like what you have seen in videos and gameplays, if you are new to the hack and slash you will enjoy it, but consider that the replayability isn't the strong point in DMC, so you should consider rent it first. For the Devil May Cry fan: The Ninja Theory work is appreciated in the sense that they had the task of making the game dumbed for the masses (as Crapcom conditioned them for sure), changing Dante, and the mechanics entirely, this wasn't an easy job to do, and the result is a lot of closeups of the new Dante and nods (like the anonymous at the beginning) just to convince the people to like the new character, that reflects lack of self-confidence of Ninja Theory which is also reflected in many aspects of the game (I feel that Ninja Theory wanted to make the game less idiot than Crapcom wanted) the result? a very versatile combo system with potential but a very weak enemies to make the combos woth to pull off (with a broken style system),there aren't any puzzles on the game but they added a very easy exploration system with the keys (and closed paths that needs to be open with the later weapons just to make you come back and feel that need more exploration), a mechanic to make the enemies harder conditioning the use of different weapons to satisfy the casual challenge needs but a pain in the ass for the hack and slash players, a storytelling forced in some points just make it feel like if it were more like a devil may cry than a different game like (I consider) this, overall, I don't recommend this if you enjoy the hack and slash, is very-VERY easy, the enemies are poor in variety and there are lots of better options for the hack and slash genre. Expand
  100. Jan 22, 2013
    Ok, before you accuse me of hating this game just because of Dante's hair, there are a LOT more reasons as to why this game is an awful Devil May Cry game. Follow the link to see for yourself: http://pastebin.com/y3PKiumh
  101. Jan 16, 2013
    The new story makes sense it has an american feel to it and is not as hard to follow. The DMC of old had a story that would make you go cross eyed and questions that went unanswered. This story feels solid complete makes sense and makes you more emotionally invested in the character something the DMC of old was unable to do. There are things I didint like about some of the changes such asThe new story makes sense it has an american feel to it and is not as hard to follow. The DMC of old had a story that would make you go cross eyed and questions that went unanswered. This story feels solid complete makes sense and makes you more emotionally invested in the character something the DMC of old was unable to do. There are things I didint like about some of the changes such as the gun models ect. But the reboot is going to keep the series alive and well and at the end of the day all i want is more DMC. Long live DMC Collapse

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.