5.0

1. Jan 15, 2013
    I have the game early since and the way you get the weapons are TERRIBLE. So far out of the three weapons i got 1 of them was from a boss. The weapons arent creative at all, especially the fists one.
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is an insult to everyone that's a fan of the older DMC games. Protagonist is an edgy teenager pandering to 15 year olds that can't swear in front of their mommies or they won't get dessert after dinner, style meter was completely destroyed, runs at 30 FPS, has no lock-in button and most weapons are useless if you can just axe people to death, horrible soundtrack. Gave it a 1 cause it has nice visuals sometimes. Expand
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    While many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everything right while they clearly have not. Expand
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    Devil May Cry was a very niche franchise with loyal, die hard fans, DMC3 is critically acclaimed and may probably be the BEST action game ever to grace console and PC so far, so when DMC4 came out we were all expecting much more and because of Capcoms failings to live up to fan expectation we now have this reboot.

Now Im not against rebooting DMC but I think it was handled the wrong
    way, certain things are expected from a DMC game and have been reportedly lacking in the reboot, DMC was never about accessibility, it was challenging and offered layers of depth for those who mastered the complex combat system, having only spent a single play through of both sections of the demo I cant say to much with certainty, but I found the combat lacking in depth, fluidity and style, racking up an SSS rank was a challenge but its so easy now I feel like its lost its meaning.

With almost no chance of seeing a return of the former franchise, all the questions are left unanswered and no ending or closure may ever be given, it's really not hard to understand why fans are upset Capcom. =/
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    First of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness and powerful feel to them for the first half of the game that disappears later on as enemies start demanding certain types used. This destroys any semblance of flow the game may have had. This coupled with a meaningless combo system (since you can get SSS without trying) leaves everything feeling generally hollow.

The environment has much the same issue. At first it's an interesting romp through many varied and somewhat interesting zones, and while the scenery looks nice, it does nothing save throw you into the occasional, overly simplistic platforming puzzle. When I said it's like the combat, well, I meant that it gets worse as time goes on. The scenery just becomes generic and boring later on, as if the devs just gave up and said **** it".

The story is where the game truly dims. Everyone knows it at this point: the story is childish, cliched, and seemingly written by a 12 year old with a chip no their shoulder. Pretty much every character has the inability to act their age, and the story line itself is a complete bore and would still be a bore even if the characters acted with a sliver of maturity. As a Devil May Cry game, this should be buried and forgotten. As a generic action game, this should be played with the volume off and all cut scenes skipped. It's certainly not worth it's full price, and it sickens me that there are so many high "official" reviews which show me nothing more than either A. Reviewers have lost all credibility and ability to rate fairly. or B. Bribery is alive and well.

Don't buy this game, if you haven't played earlier Devil May Cry games, I can at least say 4 is worth it. If you have played earlier Devil May Cry games, play them again, because this one isn't one.
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    A surprisingly decent story,combined with excellent and stylish combat,and an awesome soundtrack make DMC a great reboot and a step forward.I especially enjoyed Dante's rejection of the mop-head,but thought it was too careless or too careful to alienate fans that way(players choice). It didn't bother this long time fan and I enjoyed the dozen hours this took to finish the first run.The harder difficulties are much appreciated though as the first run-through was waaay too easy on the toughest available difficulty.The controls,though initially tricky,only require a modicrum of practise which I actually didn't mind too much.I had a great deal of fun anyway.The Icing on the cake is the fact that a ton of haters complained,bought it and then complained again.That's almost too too funny .Almost... Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    Anything that was remotely challenging about previous entries in the series has been completely edited out and what remains is a cutscene riddled, slow paced "action" game that puts more emphasis on trying to be "edgy" by overuse of curse words.

Even if you disregard the fact that Dante has been rebooted to a younger audience the gameplay still lacks in every area due to easy difficulty
    levels and slow action.

If you've played the previous entries there is nothing new or exciting about this game and you should just let it fly off your radar
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    This game caused a lot of controversy, taking a beloved hardcore franchise and rebooting and changing everything to grab an audience that might not even exist is a risky move. But did it pay off? No. Despite changing VERY MUCH of the game due to fan outcry, we have an underwhelming action game made by an amateur developer. They are trying to sell this to us as a deep hardcore action title that lives up to or is BETTER than the original games, but it just isn't at all. The combat is easy, very easy. Getting a high score is ridiculously because two of the weapons are broken. One of the weapons in the game is entirely worthless in fact. There's no sense of balance. Everything has been dumbed down considerably, the lead combat designer even admits he has no idea how what you see in professional DMC player videos works. So the company Capcom chose has no idea how to make a game in the franchise or genre. Either the enemies are punching bags, or they're annoying and gimmicky and break the pace of the game entirely. As the game moves into its final 3rd, MOST of the enemies you face will be these gimmick enemies who can only be hit by a single weapon. It's frustrating that you are unlocking more weapons and moves but the game is forcing you to use less of them. The lack of a lock-on feature causes some issues with attacking what you want. The controls are clunky and slightly slow. The bosses are a joke. This is NOT the game to go to for your hardcore action fix. It's functional and at its best when you are fighting several small enemies at once. It is at its worst when you are fighting enemies who can only be damaged by a specific weapon. There's lots of unskippable cutscenes that break up the gameplay and there's platforming that doesn't add much to the game as well. Ninja Theory has never been known for good gameplay though, so how does it fare in the other parts of the game? Well not much better. The soundtrack for the game is comprised too much of electronic scrubbing and sweeping noises, it's boring and they could have easily done better. The voice acting is unemotional and amateurish. The story is bland, predictable, and the characters unlikable. I ended up liking the villains more than the heroes and never understood why the villains were the bad guy in the first place. Visually though, this game is amazing. This game may have changed my entire opinion on Unreal Engine 3, I always thought it was **** before I played DmC. But here they've crafted a gorgeous, visually spectacular game. The colors are vibrant, the environments are cool and interesting, the special effects are super cool. Sadly the environments get less inspired as the game goes on. The highlight of the game is Chapter 10, only halfway through the whole game. All in all DmC isn't good enough to justify carrying the Devil May Cry name and won't satisfy hardcore players. The 360 version is the way to go if your PC isn't beefy enough to run Unreal 3 as the PS3 version is very choppy Expand
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is an affront to everything the original series stood for; gone is the high level difficult gameplay and replaced with a watered-down mediocre experience that presents itself as somehow superior to the previous installments. The story is bland and laughable, especially so because of how pompous and full of hubris Ninja Theory has been in their declarations, stating this game would shatter the perception of what a game could be and would attain "Shakespearean"-level storytelling. No new innovations are actually present in the new game aside from increased amounts of platforming, which is hardly what drives the core gameplay. In addition to the watered down combat the Stylish meter is no long a measure of how varied your combat can be, or how creative you are, but rather just a hit counter with a different set of paint, you can literally use the same attack to go from D to SSS.

If you are a fan of the original series DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

If you are a fool who loves blatant attempts at cashing in on recognizable franchise then this one is for you!
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm generally not that in touch with video gaming these days, but I like to play the occasional sequel to titles I remember fondly from teenage years, alongside other recommendations. I was intrigued by DmC, which was a reboot of Devil May Cry, a series I enjoyed for it's likable characters, dark world and the sort of combat you love to learn, and learn to love. It being a reboot I assumed it would be like DMC4, a new setting, maybe new characters, but ultimately the same DMC, because it's not a beloved franchise by accident. I'm going by the logic that Expand
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    Very unspecific and light spoilers

The good:

While the combat may not be as varied or fluid as the previous 2 entries in the series, it manages to retain enough DMC flare to make it solid, better than the competition, killing regular baddies remains very fun, even if 7 year old DMC 3 had over 10 more moves than the new iteration, a turbo mode and an extra playable character that was
    not DLC.

While the platforming is rather shallow, it does manage to show off the very impressive environments. The music seems to be fitting for the game style, and while not really my style, it never seemed to bother me too much.

The bad: Overall, the game is too easy even on higher difficulties, I found myself sustaining 0 damage on some of the bosses, SSS style ranking by repeating two combos over and over, only one if I managed to land it after a demon evade. surprisingly, a normal foe, a dual sword wielding enemy managed to be more challenging than every single boss in the game.

Out of 5 melee weapons the game provides, 2 of them manage to be rather useless, since the remaining three cover all your needs, I am talking about Rebellion, Arbiter and Aquila. This also happens with firearms, going from useless, to useful, to broken. You could say those weapons are there to give variety, you would be wrong, and I explain why next ...

Color coding, apparently the combat designer felt the best way to show off the move set was not letting you use it, you come across these color coded enemies as the game gets "harder", that can only be damaged by either a demon weapon or an angel one, the moveset on Aquila (angel) and (Arbiter) are very superior than your other options, so is their damage output, which you need since these enemies have lots of health, there goes variety.

The frame rate drops a lot to 20 fps (the old ones were 60 solid), especially towards the end when even cut-scenes suffer from it, in the very few scenes where the heavy handed red/orange/blue filter goes away, the city starts showing the unreal engine, everything looks grey with lots of bloom, with PS2 like textures and geometry.

The chief designer claims that this will elevate storytelling in games to the level of film and theatre ....

The old games were 80s B action movie cheesy, the dialog and story on this one were soap opera bad, if they made soap operas for edgy 14 year old boys and men during midlife crisis, I never knew sex scenes and profanity could be badly written until now, it´s full of shock value, no substance at all. Felt like watching The Hangover again, like an unfunny episode of Family Guy, I mean there was an abortion by sniper rifle. When the game takes itself serious it fails miserably at it too, taking a boss from Futurama character motivations from They Live and Stars Wars prequels. They removed taunting because it felt unrealistic, and yet the they show demon bosses being killed by a single bullet on a cutscene when previous game play shows those same bosses barely damaged by 400 bullets each. they also show the main antagonist, a super smart boy prodigy blabbing his master plan,in front of the wrong people at the wrong time, the worst possible way, to justify the last battle, which is is copy pasted from DMC3, only much slower.

The game is fun, looks and sounds good too. I got some eye candy, I got shallow but serviceable platforming, and for combat I got 75% old DMC, 10% Dark Sector and 15% Heavenly Sword. .......

This confused me, because when Ninja Theory said they were making it their own, I expected the combat to drastically change, for better or worse, I expected them to walk a different path, and yet it seems they walked the same one, only they gave up half way and called it a day, this made me feel the reboot was rather pointless, unless you really really like dubstep .......
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    Simply put, this game is horrible, the dialog is horrible, the story sucks, the game is so damn easy, the gameplay is dumbed down, this game has absolutely no challenge, even on the hard modes and worst of all, Dante's look and personality disgusted me. I never finished the game, I got bored and sick of it, so I stopped playing it and popped in my DMC HD collection to get the bad taste out of my mouth and thankfully can still appreciate and enjoy those games a lot more. I'll be trading this sack of **** in tomorrow.

If you have the need to play a good Hack n Slash game, skip this pile of **** and pick up the Devil May Cry HD collection, then you'll get 3 Hack n Slash games that are a lot better for a lot less money.
  14. Jan 15, 2013
    Combat is slow, limited and has next to no variety i.e enemies that can only be killed by one weapon, no styles, angel/demon stance ripped straight from heavenly sword, another game by NT. Story is a rip-off of they live. Character development, design and dialogue are outright outrageous and disgusting, not to mention it insults the fans of the franchise. There's even a scene in which one of the protagonist's allies shoots an unborn child and then kills the mother after she realizes what happened, while in the previous games he despised guns. The only redeeming points about this game are the visuals. Expand
  15. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I go into the game, remember this took close to five years to be developed with an already established game engine.

Story: What can I say, it really just sounds like someone has issues with life. Dante is some guy living in a trailer who is brought in to help fight against the demons who secretly rule the world using mind controlling soft drinks. Besides the immature dialogue and the see through plot, the characters themselves have no redeeming points. Dante harasses the humans he's trying to protect and be's a jerk to everyone except the girl he likes. Vergil kills a child in the womb and allows the mother a moment to realise her child is dead before he kills her as well and laughs about it.
    These two are brothers and while the relationship is established during the game, it just feels forced and when they inevitably fight because of opposing opinions (Vergil offended Dante's girl) there's no feeling to it. Overall the story has stolen many ideas and concepts from other movies and games that executed them better.

The Gameplay is what the DMC franchise is known for. The lack of a lock on button means you'll be flailing around as the jittery camera spins during fights. The combos aren't as impressive as you think, in the old series tying your combos together helped gain a better score and allowed you easier means to beat your enemies. In this game, you can get a good score by either finding poorly hidden secrets (big red shiny door that glows) or by using a move with the axe that allows an instant SSS (highest style score). The bosses aren't challenging even on the highest difficulties. The poison fight was the most hilarious. When the boss does it's sweep attack, you can parry it which allows you to drag it down *cut scene* allowing you ten seconds to pummel it. Fair enough...except your attacks can finish it off within that ten seconds and then *cut scene*. Every boss is like this, one you find their weakness they are easily demolished. Worse yet, if you don't kill them in that ten seconds they rise and do the exact same attack again without fail allowing you over and over again if need be to pummel them without fear of being hit.
    Switching the weapons really feels pointless for starters when you gain an axe near the start of the game which does incredibly damage to everything. But you have to hold triggers down and tap the d-pad until you find the weapon you want and by then your rythem will be messed up. Oh yeah, style metres don't drop unless your hit, which would be a problem if the enemies attacked you. I waited fifteen seconds at one stage for one of them to attack me! Then when they attack they strike a pose, wait three seconds while their weapons flashes brightly signalling an attack, your given the option of choosing to use two evade buttons (they do the same thing) or jump out the way. Still, despite the combat, you'll be holding out for these moments as the rest of the seven hour game is filled with plat forming and jumping. Wouldn't mind this if the game wasn't a Hack 'n' Slash proclaimed to be the best of it's genre with great combat.
    The devil trigger feels to me like a slap in the face to the old fans. I didn't get involved in all the wars between the two fanbases, but why does a 'Devil' trigger make him get white hair and a Red coat? I thought that was the point of a reboot was to bring life into a franchise and to reinvigorate it, so they give you a button that makes the new Dante look like old Dante (despite him apparently being uncool, a loser, unfashionable)?
    He is half angel, half demon...why not just call it his 'Trigger' / 'Release' / 'Ascension' mode or something? Devil trigger implies he turns into a demon...

Sound and Audio is a meh. Personally I'm not into recorded human farts (I wish I was joking here) and little pops that represent gunfire. The sounds are lackluster but it's a damn sight better than the dialogue which consists of "F**K YOU!" - "YOU WH**E". I honestly wouldn't mind if this wasn't forced upon you and felt like it suited the game and the atmosphere but it just sounds juvenile.

Re-playability is really up to the user. Me? I won't be touching it again and will be dropping it off at my nearest game store. The secrets aren't really that good, the DLC just adds extra costumes (why they included a DMC 3 Dante outfit when they already have a Dante Trigger I don't know?) a game mode that all the others DMC games except the first had for free and a Vergil's downfall which is sort of a spoiler if you haven't already seen the entire game on Youtube or paid much attention to the games story (which I can't really condemn you for)

Overall I could have gone alot more into detail on this game on just how BAD it is. For years we've had journalists saying this is the best game ever, but this is just pathetic. Five years and this is it?. It may have the name Devil May Cry but it will never have it's light!
  16. Jan 15, 2013
    What i'm loving about this game is how it's not just a button basher like previous games in the series, this time you have to use your brain and think to pull off that perfect combo. I'm constantly trying to get the 'A' rating each and every time and it feels so rewarding when i do. It's insanely hard on the hardest difficulty setting, just one hit and your dead, so i've dropped it down to medium setting for the time being. I'll give anyone who completes this game on the hardest setting a cookie because you deserve it if you do lol. Expand
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    NT's latest reboot of DmC franchise is exactly what gamers should hate gaming right now. It depicts how casualized gaming has become,, so it can appeal to the broader audience. Sure, the argument against it is, hey, Capcom wants to make money, so of course the right thing to do is to appeal to the biggest demographic there is, which is apparently 12 years old kids spouting memes and swear words on XBL. So really, if you are a fan of DmC franchise, this game is not targeted at you. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    DISCLAIMER: As with all reviews, they should be taken with a grain of salt as they are opinions and like opinions they differ considerably from person to person.

Review:
    DmC: Devil May Cry is an decent game within it's own merits but falls short in many other area for one the combat is accessible enough for anyone of any level of gaming to pick up this game and almost immediately began
    to enjoy it. The combat is made to be as gratifying as possible for players, making the player feel accomplished with it's combo system. The combat is done really well, however my major complaints are simply that there isn't enough of it nor is it challenging enough and nowhere near as exciting as the games before it in the series. The game tries it's best to offer variety in its combat with new enemies, new weapons, and new abilities but the game limits you in how you approach enemies, said enemies require said weapon in order to be defeated. That kills the fun that DMC is known for, being "stylish" gone with the days of multiple styles, multiple move sets/weapons, almost every fight can be approached how the player wanted. In DmC it's approached depends solely on how the developer's want you to. Lack of player creativity in this department.

Moving on to the stage design. The stage design is brilliant; Ninja Theory knocked out this one out of the park, the platforming is amazing and Ninja Theory should really consider making a platforming based game; they've proven themselves well in this area. Unfortunately in DmC there is simply way too much of it, and not enough combat. The game feels slowed down and tedious half way through the game due to the over abundance of floating platforms the player must jump on/interact with. It really conflicts with what they were trying to do (a fast paced action game).

In regard to the story it feels like it's trying to be too many things at once, it wants to be hardcore, or it wants to be comedic or it wants to be shocking or it wants to be suspenseful. It just doesn't know, it's trying it's best to excel at all areas but ends up falling short all together and because of this the story (although told in a unique way) becomes uninteresting, protagonist has no character other than trying to appeal to a younger demographic with swears and rude gestures and the like; other characters in the story have little to no personality, become difficult for player to relate to. And a central plot which can be easily determined from the first two missions.

SUMMARY
    +Good combat! +Really good, well thought out stage design.
    +Very accessible -Excessive platforming detracts from the main focus of the game which is the combat
    -Story is unmemorable, tries too hard to be taken seriously
    -Characters are unlikeable and have no depth
    -Not enough variety in combat
    -Graphical downgrade from it's predecessor
    -Limited by it's engine. (Unreal 3)

4/10 - Game is average at best, although it does well in making combat accessible it falls short in many other areas of the game and is nowhere near the quality in comparison of that of it's predecessors in the series.

If you're interested in picking up DmC: Devil May Cry, I strongly recommend you give the game a rent before purchasing.
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A **** INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: **** YOU! Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    For each good aspect i find like the well implemented platforming, the varying combos, and interesting boss fights, I find another bad flaw to match it. The game is a hack and slash and plays like platformer. The varying combos become useless towards the end of the game. Interesting and unique boss fights like bob barbas are offset by more story driven ones that dumb down what could've been very difficult fights; Vergil, Mundus, and the slurm slug. To place a cherry on the cake, the new Dante seems to be a prequel to what we've seen in the earlier games. His catch phrases seem less funny and more aggressive; Like a child trying to hurt someones feelings at the playground. Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    Gameplay is atrocious compared to DMC 3 and 4. Its is a huge step backwards. Jump cancelling is put in the game just because the previous 2 games had it. In this game jump cancelling is lame. You can hit the skybox on the maps with jump cancelling and that devil bringer rip off. You can keep a enemy in the air indefinitely and be safe from everything else. While previous DMC games it was a test of skill on how long you can stay in the air, this game hand feeds you air time.

The reason for this is because NT/Capcom wanted casuals to feel pro or something while playing a DMC game. So they watch videos of pro players for DMC3/4 and they are in the air most of the time and they just put the two together. They just made it so its super easy to stay in the air. They totally missed the point of DMC's high level gameplay, which was to make your enemies look bad and you look stylish. Air time is just a byproduct. So what we end up with is a clunky combat system with awkward controls. Donte pauses for a brief moment after every attack which contributes to making the gameplay clunky. There's too much platforming in this game. Pointless platforming. They make too much of a deal out of the shifting environment shtick. While previous DMC games never had strong stories, they were still enjoyable games and had enjoyable characters. DmC however is just screams tryhard and edgy. All that cussing is uncalled for.
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    I was a long time fan of DMC, but this DmC isn't the same game I once loved. The combat was touted to be more accessible, but I found it too easy as a veteran of the previous games. When the game does let you play its a slow button masher, but action is readily interrupted by cutscenes and the whole experience became an annoyance by the end of things. The weapon switching was not instant like I felt that it should be, the lag between my trigger pulls and the actual in game action was noticeable and irritating. The fire and ice enemies made the game more of a chore when fighting in areas of mixed enemies, this severely limited my choices and combos would fall flat as the lack of lock-on would send Dante attacking in the wrong directions. The story was abysmal, but I don't buy action games for the story. Unfortunately the gameplay cannot float this game alone with more platforming than actual fights. Expand
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is offensively terrible.

Let's go step by step.

First, the story. The story is a juvenile orgy of teenage-level 'anarchism' and events that make me believe the writers may be borderline psychotic. Our 'heroes' shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach, wait until she realizes her unborn child is dead, then kill her. Then later, our heroes say they enjoyed watching the wet chunks splatter on the floor. Other parts are no better. The Slurm Queen from Futurama makes an appearance, except instead of being funny, we are meant to take this seriously. Ninja Theory copied a ridiculous scenario from a cartoon and tried to make a serious world domination plan from it. Pitiful. Later in the game, you fight a 'parody' of Bill O'Reilly. I say parody because it's really not, it's too obvious. Ninja Theory thinks you are stupid however, and has to have the boss yell DO IT LIVE multiple times during the fight, in case you didn't catch their clever bit of completely obvious, dated, obsolete social commentary. If the sniper rifle abortions, plagiarism, and bad social commentary weren't enough, the main antagonist spends most of the game have intercourse with his daughter. Classy.

Next, the gameplay in general. It is bad. The Combat is bad, but I'll get into the technical aspects of that in a moment. The gameplay is constantly broken up with unskippable cutscenes. It is almost as bad as Resident Evil 6, another major offender. Capcom seems to have issues with this and this gmae is no exception. Ninja Theory also included a lot of platforming in their reboot, which makes sense as their environments are the nicest parts of the game. However, they're really just fancy hallways in which you do the same basic platforming over and over again, and quickly become a chore, and seem like filler.

The Combat is significantly dumbed down from DMC, or games like Ninja Gaiden. The style system is utterly broken, allowing players to mash to stardom, enemies do almost no damage when they even bother to attack, and Dante's Devil Trigger allows him to effortlessly obliterate everything while also slowing down time and rapidly regenerating his health. Angel Weapons do almost no damage, and while in other games using them would boost your score, in DmC score is based on damage, so they are pointless. Or they would be, if not for the fact some enemies ONLY TAKE DAMAGE FROM THEM. This becomes a chore as enemies are walking meatballs, able to absorb ridiculous amounts of damage, especially on higher difficulties. The Boss battles include 4 giant floating enemies that clumsily attack Dante and are more akin to platforming challenges, and two weaker versions of bosses from DMC3. Original!

The game fails technically other than the environments and facial mocap. Voice acting is atrocious, frame rate drops constantly, struggling to meet the already barely acceptable 30fps. Characters move like stiff boards except for the face, which becomes unsettling to look at.

Replayability is gone. Gradient difficulty rather than the more involved difficulties from previous games robs this game of any reason to be replayed. Furthermore, the game is short. About 6 hours, even with the unskippable cutscenes and platforming padding.

If you have not played every game in the 'stylish action' genre made in the past decade, play any number of those rather than DmC. And if you have, well, you standards should be too high for this anyway. Avoid.
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    As a fan of Devil May Cry i couldnt wait to get my hands on a new game. Then i heard it was being made by a new developer which kinda worried me a bit, but its Devil May Cry so i bought it regardless. Even though its different its also the same, it takes a little getting used to, but once you do its a great game, one of the best in the series (a HELL of a lot better than Devil May Cry 2 and 4 thats for sure) Im really enjoying it. Expand
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    First, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was very good in some places, although the level design itself was bland. Now, the bad. Where can one even begin? This game is an abortion (you see what I did there? Nice shot, Virgil. har har) when it comes to being a Devil May Cry game. Seemingly everything that was well loved about its namesake- challenging enemies and incredibly deep combat mechanics- has been thrown out. Instead, we are presented with shallow, repetitive "gameplay" that was seemingly added on as an afterthought and is only there to serve as a vehicle to move the juvenile, fanfiction-quality plot forward. We are shuttled from one un-interesting cutscene to the next by annoying, glitchy platforming. Sometimes, these glitches cause one to die- prepare to acquaint yourself with the loading screen. However, dying has little consequence, as save-points are everywhere. This sucks what little tension was left out of the "gameplay." I put quotation marks around the word gameplay for the following reason: From some point at the middle of the game, actual combat gameplay is completely overshadowed by the narrative. In one particular mission, now infamously known as the "baby killing level," absolutely no combat is required at all. Why is this game a reboot of a series known for its combat when it is nothing like the others? Why is it named "Devil May Cry"? On that note, let's turn our attention to another problem with this game: The characters. Dante is no longer a happy-go-lucky action-hero caricature that eats strawberry sundaes. Instead, he's a foul-mouthed teenybopper who smokes cigarettes in his high school bathroom and has a problem with authority. The supporting cast, particularly Dante's brother, has also seen significant changes for the worse. Finally, I want to talk about the attitudes of this game's creators and the gaming media which is too quick to come to their defense. From the very first showing of this game, Devil May Cry fans have been told that what they enjoyed about the previous games were wrong. In spite of this, the enormous amount of negative attention which the game received cowed the developers into making certain changes. However, none of the issues which fans have brought their protestations against have been met with maturity or decency. DmC's creative director and Ninja Theory talking head Tameem Antoniades has gone out of his way to appear callous and loathing towards fans of the series, repeatedly calling those who have questioned his "artistic vision" as "haters," borrowing a phrase currently in vogue with suburban twelve year olds and phoney media outlets. Antoniades' actions have alienated much of the original Devil May Cry fanbase, who learned quickly that this game is not marketed towards them. If they will not buy the game, that means that a new market must be found. Enter CAPCOM's marketing blitz. Virtually every "genuine" review of DmC up until release lauded immense praise on the game, skimming over multiple faults and plainly ignoring the fact that it is, in some ways, a resoundingly mediocre gaming experience. Each media outlet has been very consistent in ending their reviews, whatever their wording might be, with extremely high numerical scores. Something stinks. CAPCOM, faced with several financial (if not critical) failures like Resident Evil 6 is banking on this game succeeding. Therefore, they have turned the media hype machine to eleven. Every review must shine, and pay no mind to the advertisement for the game in the banner ads... ahem... In closing, this game is a stain upon its lineage and the bizarro idolization of it by the media only solidifies the divide between gaming "journalism" and reality in the minds of gamers everywhere. The irony isn't lost on us, you know: A game whose story is centered on corporate mind control and evil media, being forced down the throats of gamers by a sleazy corporation and corrupt gamer "journalism" that is about as impartial as a toy commercial. Ninja Theory: In the words of Dante from DmC, "You're an ###hole." I give this corporate shlock and the media noise-pollution surrounding it a 3 out of 10 for "awful". Expand
  26. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging the game by comparing it to the earlier installments I have to say is a lackluster experience, not because of the redesign, not because of the somewhat weird political commentary, but because the gameplay is way slower than even DMC2 which was the worst of the classic series in that regard, the lack of a dedicated lock on button and the unnecessary platform segments (for an action game) really makes this one lose points.

Also the music is kind of not quite fitting but different people have different tastes.

Is worth mentioning though SPOILERS: The scene where Vergil decides to force an abortion on Lilith is disgusting and completely unsettling, if the plot was a satire or parody the scene shows bad taste, if it was serious then sorry but is not engaging, there are a lot of emotions and feelings one likes to have when playing videogames, but disturbed by a woman crying for her unborn child being killed is not one of them.

The game overall is below average, rent it or get it used.
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    dmc devil may cry is a shameless reboot to a great franchise,this game has obscene violence and even a sex scene in it. ninja theory claim its a shakespear-esk game but in reality its a pitiful game
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed
    and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  29. DMP
    Jan 15, 2013
    The game isn't completely horrible as some make it out to be. But if you're the type for hack-'n'-slash, especially a fan of the Devil May Cry series, you're in for some real disappointment. I am a long term fan of DMC, starting off from the first playing up until 4. Now, the Devil May Cry series isn't supposed to be known for it's story, but after the developers Ninja Theory made some comments about their DmC story rivaling literature and cinema (paraphrased) of today, you might want to consider it a selling point. And after you play this game, you will realize that that selling point is in the other direction. The story is horrible, and progresses its self through cutscenes after cutscenes of nonsense. It doesn't stop there; Dante constantly talks and deliver the worst one-liners in the series in this game that make you want to cringe.

The combat is way dumbed down, with the removal of lock-on and taunt from previous game in the series, leaves you with simple button-mashing on poorly developed enemies.

The target audience for Capcom and NT with this game are newcomers: younger generation of gamers and casual video game players that never had a DMC experience before. They may get those people, but Capcom and NT have thrown a few middle-fingers to existing fans throughout its development and handled poor user feedback and criticism shamefully. It'll be a shame if there is a sequel in this reboot and not in the classic DMC series.

I don't mind the music change personally, but it does get dull after a while listening to the same dubstep music over and over.

This game still has merits. I think it rightfully deserves a 4 for still being playable, just extremely and exhausting mediocre for a pedantic experience.
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    I was willing to give it a shot, even with the redesigned Dante, but the game is just terrible. From Sniper Rifle abortions to "Yah-Matt-Too" and the "I've got a bigger !@#$", the writing was absolutely atrocious. Gameplay isn't exactly bad, because you can still do some interesting things, but it's such a step down from DMC3 or 4 that I felt more restricted than Nero felt in 4. The game is also way shorter than previous entries, not counting the unskippable cut-scenes. Please, don't support this game. Expand
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    It's almost as bad as predicted. The combat can be fun, however everything else is like a middle finger to the fans of the series with bad writing(even for Devil May Cry), awful story, uninteresting characters, and little challenge.
  32. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is simply 'Meh'. There is nothing outstanding that will warrant a purchase.

Under normal circumstances I would rate it higher, if the game wasn't pretending to be a Devil May Cry game. I've noticed in official reviews that the game is apparently 'amazing compared to Devil May Cry 1' which I think may be a decade old by this point.

Big game reviewers are trying to claim this
    game is fantastic, gripping and amazing - You can see who gets ad revenue from Capcom if their reviews sing along those lines.

This game is Heavenly Sword with terrible story and writing, nothing written in this game is worth listening to. Fear for your sanity if you are looking forward to this story.

This game is a shell of the former glory that was DMC3 and (the Dante parts) of DMC4.
    Honestly, I think that Ninja Theory only played DMC2 and Nero in DMC4 when they were designing this mess.

In closing, this game is average. I rated it slightly lower because it's trying to be DMC.
    Fanboys, please don't immediately scream hate in my direction, I tried to be as unbiased as possible when playing this, and I'm not particularly happy with the death of one of my favorite franchises.
  33. Jan 15, 2013
    It's hard to start on this game. The story is insipid, it's very juvenile and hamfisted in its presentation and it shamelessly takes from the film They Live. You shouldn't expect to be enriched by it.

But the game's worst part is that it's gameplay is just.. mediocre. It's slow, clunky enemies are unmemorable and bosses are very poorly done.

Instead of using insane combos and quick
    reaction to defeat the bosses, it's mostly just dodge their one big swipe attack and then use some platforming gimmick to make them weak. It's something I'd expect from a Legend of Zelda boss. The combat at it's core, is well. Mediocre. It's a clear downgrade from previous games but on it's own it's playable. It's just nothing special. Devil May Cry had some potential, but it's developers didn't have the competency to carry it out. Expand
  34. Jan 15, 2013
    I can't believe i paid 60 dollars for this piece of garbage. Playing this game on Dante must die mode was about as hard as DMC 4 on Easy. I play games to be challenged not to hold my hand. I could have forgiven this, only if the story wasn't such a predictable bore.
  35. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 3/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  36. Jan 15, 2013
    Oh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. No matter what you're looking for, longtime fan or not, all you will find here is a poorly done story about a generic rebellious, "Occupy Wall Street", da-corporashuns-ar-evul teenage anarchist and his quest to destroy the evil not-Fox-News.

On the visual end, it's passable for a game designed to run on ancient hardware. There are noticeable frame rate drops and the performance is often shaky at best, but the general appearance of the world is interesting to a fault. The actual design of the levels however, is not. It's very straightforward and boring, with little variance in what you actually have to do.

Ultimately, the game will leave long standing fans upset and disappointed, and newcomers confused and disgusted. Pass on it.
  37. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're
    fighting EVIL DEMON BILL O 'REILLY head, they have to make him yell DO IT LIVE, in case you hadn't caught on to the fact that it was bill o reilly.

The only good part of the story is the interaction between Dante and Vergil, which hilariously is ruined by the ending, because Ninja Theory had to have a sequel hook. Oh, and the final boss fight occurs for literally no reason whatsoever.

The Combat is bad. Slow, plodding, and boring. No Lock-On limits options. Enemies requiring specific weapons limits options. The ability to fly forever as long as you have an enemy to beat on makes the game pathetically easy. The weapons are all either useless or overpowered. Certain enemies are a chore to fight because they only take damage from the weakest weapons and everything has too much health, especially on higher difficulties.

No Replayability. Replayability in previous DMC games and games like Ninja Gaiden come from the grading system. You replay levels to get a high score, or on a harder difficulty because traditionally games like this have NOT had gradient difficulty. In Devil May Cry games before this one, increasing the difficulty made enemies behave differently, sometimes radically so. In DmC it just gives them much more health, and slightly increases the damage they do.

The style system is utterly broken. It's based on damage rather than variety, allowing players to button mash their way into a perfect rank. It never degrades unless hit, a vast departure from previous games. The 'Completition' score, which is based on how many secrets you find, locks when you find everything, so you never have to collect them again on subsequent playthroughs of the level. This allows players to cheese the grading system by collecting everything on one run, and then jetting through the level as quickly as possible on another to get the best time ranking. Perfect scores in other games are testaments to your skill. In DmC they are testaments to having 20 minutes to burn.

No interesting bossfights beyond the final one, which is a watered down version of the encounter at the end of Devil May Cry 3.

In summary, DmC: Devil May Cry, is bad. It has bad writing, bad gameplay, bad grading, bad bosses, and no replayability. Don't buy it. Don't even rent it.
  38. Jan 15, 2013
    Coming from a long time DMC fan this game is great. Sure i had my doubts like many others after hearing ninja theory was rebooting the series. And boy was i wrong this game turned out to be awesome. Combat is great (on par with dmc 3 but different style, still jc is in) and the story is a good start to this new franchise. Can't wait to see what they have in store for DmC 2!!!

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.