DmC: Devil May Cry Xbox 360

5.1

1. Jan 31, 2016
    DmC is a mixed bag. on one hand, it completely derails all of the fan favourite DMC characters, on the other, it makes the combat fun and engaging. first, lets go over the story, you play as Emo Dante who lives in a caravan, because why not, right? Dante gets greeted by Cardboard Kat, and Dante gets attacked by Demons, so Dante uses Ebony and Ivory, and Rebellion to fight his way out. thenDmC is a mixed bag. on one hand, it completely derails all of the fan favourite DMC characters, on the other, it makes the combat fun and engaging. first, lets go over the story, you play as Emo Dante who lives in a caravan, because why not, right? Dante gets greeted by Cardboard Kat, and Dante gets attacked by Demons, so Dante uses Ebony and Ivory, and Rebellion to fight his way out. then Dante meets his twin brother Vergil who tells Dante they should be a team to kill the Demon King Mundus, who killed their mother and imprisoned their father. So Dante goes around doing all the dirty work for Kat and Vergil. Before I continue, can i just ask why Capcom completely uprooted Dante and turned him into a Emo potty mouth douche bag? or why they derailed Vergils character? who barely does anything until the very end of the game? Sorry, but this game pissed me off, the only thing that holds this game up is the superb combat and mechanics, and even that does't compare to other hack'n'slash games out there. Don't pay full 60$ for this game, just pay 5$ or 10$, or better yet, buy the DMC HD Collection, you'll be happier with yourself. Expand
  2. Dec 14, 2015
    Pros:

- The gameplay is sweet. Switching between angel and demon mode is pretty cool, and makes up some really cool combos. The combat is more realistic, too. - The level designs are visually stunning and definitely worth playing through. Limbo is really cool. - Bob Barbas and Mundus make cool villains. - Good story. Say what you want about the characters. They story was good. It
    Pros:

- Bob Barbas and Mundus make cool villains.
    - Good story. Say what you want about the characters. They story was good. It clearly rips off They Live however, but it's still worth playing through.
    - Good voice acting. It sounds more natural than the original, and even as a standalone game, its voice acting is pretty good.

Cons:

- No targeting system. It's really a pain in the ass when you're trying to kill one demon and end up shooting another. Also sometimes I would be in the air trying to Angel Dash to another platform, but the camera would auto target the demons in the previous platform and I would dash in the wrong direction and fall.
    - The characters are just awful. The good guys to be specific. Dante's redesign isn't too bad, but what's the point of making his hair black? They didn't do it for Vergil. It doesn't make any sense. His hair turns white in the end anyway. Alright, let's be frank. Dante is a mean-spirited douche, and lacks any charm and comes off as unapproachable. Vergil is a coward, talks like a weirdo and his motivations and goals don't make any sense. Kat is the dullest character (less dull than 4's Kyrie, though) in the game, and her backstory doesn't help make her interesting either. It's funny how we knew less about the classic Dante and he was still likable and interesting, but we know so much about the new Dante and he comes off as dull and annoying. Lesson: sometimes less is more. I think the worse part about the new Dante is that he's a try-hard version of the original. You can see the Ninja Theory was trying to make him appeal to everyone, both the general audience and the Devil May Cry fans, and they fail at it. I think I would've preferred Ninja Theory's original vision of Dante. You know, the really emo one. Just change his look, make his hair white and you could've had an interesting, emotionally unstable version of Dante. It could've been what Skyfall was to the 007 franchise. It's funny because the creator said that he didn't care what people thought about his Dante, but he clearly does and it shows. And Vergil... Oh my god. How can they make a character this bad?
    - The dialogue is terrible. Dante's interaction with the Succubus was the worst. You know, where they yell **** you" to each other three times. You can tell Ninja Theory had to completely scrap the idea of a PTSD Dante, and they had to write up something really quick. Only problem is it really shows. The dialogue is at its worst.
    - Dante's backstory doesn't work. For example, Dante being in conflict with his demon side and his human side? **** it. Let's make him a super-powered nephillim. An angel-demon hybrid. But let's still have him questioning his humanity for some reason. Seriously, Ninja Theory, either you're trying to make him different from the original or you're trying to make him similar. Choose one. Or if you're trying to do both, at least make it consistent. Making Dante a nephillim was pretty creative, but having him do things the original demon-human hybrid is just weird. Also, Dante was apparently tormented by demons. Then why isn't he more like the original vision than the wise cracking, badass classic? Changing Dante's backstory and trying to make him more like the classic? Nope. Just makes the character worse and less interesting.
    - The ending is **** The conflict is so forced. Seriously, Vergil, who was willing to sacrifice Kat for Dante, tries to kill his brother. Oh, he needed his brother to defeat Mundus but now he doesn't need him anymore, you say? Vergil could've done this whole job himself. Don't bull**** me. He is both "smart" and strong. He didn't even need Dante. They just wanted to make Vergil the bad guy and set up a sequel. I mean can you imagine Vergil being a villain in the next game? Mundus was a good villain because they make him out to be an **** throughout the game, but in the end they put a twist in it. Mundus explains his ideals; what would happen if humanity had freedom. And you actually feel sorry for Mundus because our **** protagonists killed his child. Vergil would be the worst villain. He's whiny, stupid and his character traits are more inconsistent than Dante's.

Story- 8/10
    Main Characters - 1/10
    Gameplay - 8.5/10
    Level Design - 9/10
    Dialogue - 2/10
    Voice Acting - 7.5/10
    Villains - 7/10
    Creativity (As a Reboot) - 4/10
    Overall - 5.875/10, so basically 6/10

This game is worth your time. It's not as bad as some people it out to be, but it's not as good either as others make it out to be. But you should definitely play it. Sure, the characters and dialogue are terrible, but there are still good aspects in the game. The gameplay and design are the best aspects. So yeah, give it a shot.
  3. Nov 20, 2015
    DmC: Devil May Cry has got to be the worst entry in the series, reboot or not; nothing seen in this game relates to the original series other than character, weapons, items and location names.

The story is as basic as any modern day game with no effort placed into it; the characters that are borrowed from the original series have no relation to who they originally were. Dante, or in my case "Jerry" as I call him, is more of a lazy character who complains about everything and cares only for himself; Vergil somewhat is like his original but isn't as smart as the original; Mundus, now with a incorrect pronounced name, has been butchered from evil demon to business man whose boss battle is far less entertaining and challenging than the original. Apart from this, Kat, who is new in this game, is somewhat helpful but only appears when the plot needs her.

The gameplay is still intact with its combo craziness and honestly, it works here as it did within the originals; the weapons included are at best alright but i rarely use the grenade gun or the scythe. Enemies are mixed to plain boring in terms of attacks; one enemy called the Witch shields herself with a bubble that can only be destroyed through angel weapons and can shield a random enemy should the player focus attention on another threat, it's annoying. Worst addition is the colour-coded enemies, use angel weapons against blue and demon against red, it breaks the combo.

Graphics look decent but I've seen better (DMC4); music is usually a strong point for me in a review but just like the story, it's cheap; rather than using official music, Capcom decided to go with licensed music from Combichrist. I'm not saying Combichrist music sucks, just using a lot of licensed music in a game just proves how bad the company truly is as well as how lazy they were; I loved the original music from all four previous games.

Ninja Theory developed this game for western audience, fair enough, but why change something that didn't need changing in the first place? This game doesn't deserve the title of Devil May Cry; terrible story and rebooted characters but alright if it was its own standalone game with no relation to the Devil May Cry series I know and love.

All DMC fans approach with caution; any non-DMC fan may find some enjoyment within this game but overall - 6/10
  4. Nov 10, 2015
    It's ok too casualized for my taste though, wish we got DMC4 combat where getting an S felt great and wasn't easy as it is here. I also wish that the character wasn't a self insert from the developer and we got the real dante instead.
  5. Oct 26, 2015
    This game is insane and cool! But even Nero a Devil May Cry that I hate, has more personality than this fake Dante, the storyline of this game can be ignored but I loved the gameplay and the mechanics, but I still prefer the old Dante, he brings me a good nostalgia.
  6. Feb 10, 2015
    Gameplay 4.5/5 doesn't get perfect score because the lack of a lock on feature other games in series had. Combat had good flow combos were a little to easy to string together though.

Boss Fights: 5/5 best boss fights in the series Level Design 5/5 Levels offered a variety of challenges. I love running though the stages as the ground you were standing on morphed and jumped to

Boss Fights: 5/5 best boss fights in the series

Level Design 5/5 Levels offered a variety of challenges. I love running though the stages as the ground you were standing on morphed and jumped to different locations. Lots of really awesome stage hazards too.

Story 3/5 story is decent at best but the story has never been a strong point for this series. Only real issue is the length the game seems shorter then previous installments.

Characters 2/5 All the characters are less likable then the previous installments in the game series. I despise the main character and that's not a good thing. They kept trying to mix old Dante's personality with the new version and it was offsetting. The even went far enough to insult their old clients that built their franchise, by poking fun at the old character designs.

Difficulty: 3/5 the game was a lot easier then previous games. However once you unlock the mode where you die in one hit, its not so easy anymore regardless of what anyone tells you.

overall id say 7/10 I would give it a higher score but
    -the character design
    - and the developers attitude towards the old fans left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I own all 4 games in the series and the reboot.... IF you want to know how id order them best to worst. here it is.

1'st: DEVIL MAY CRY #3
    2'nd: DEVIL MAY CRY #4
    3'rd: DMC
    4'th: DEVIL MAY CRY #1
    5'th: DEVIL MAY CRY #2
  7. Feb 8, 2015
    I'll start with the conclusion: this game's pretty bad. And I'm not even a DMC fanboy... I only got into DMC with DMC3 back in 2005, and I decently enjoyed DMC4.

- Story is bland, rehashes DMC3's plot along with DMC1's, and the ending is very similar to DMC4, only with a more negative or neutral connotation rather than 100% positive. Weird inconsistencies that cause the entire story to lose cohesion, such as when Dante's local strip club suddenly has no memory of him, and he's not on the list of approved guests, even though he was there at the start of the game.

- The writing is hamfisted and you can clearly tell the game tries too hard to be cool. Edginess. Edginess everywhere: 'f*** you', 'me a God VS you a piece of s***', one boss trying to puke on you while saying f*** you, Bill O'Reilly ripoff calling you a ''little S-word''. Mundus's concubine saying ''the world is at last your b-word... as am I'', which not only makes no sense since she was always his b-word, but her saying that was completely irrelevant to the situation and tasteless. It felt like the concubine was explaining her relation to Mundus to you, which was unnecessary and makes for a terrible script.
    Devil Trigger gives you red veins and... white hair? What happened to the white hair joke of ''never in a million years''? Blatant fanservice even though the fans were blasted and insulted multiple times by Ninja Theory.

- Gameplay has done away with lock-on function, limiting your combo potential since you have no directional input combos anymore. Some enemies can only be killed with certain weapons, which limits your combo potential too, and it's annoying when you're accidentally another enemy with the wrong weapon (no lock-on, remember?)
    You can button-mash your way through all battles, still being able to get high 'S' scores. You just need to damage enemies, you don't need to be stylish while doing it, which was a Devil May Cry staple.
    The game has nowhere near as many combos as DMC3 and DMC4, and the attacks are visually underwhelming. Sound effects are equally weak.
    You're often forced to fight in the air. Guns are underpowered just like Angelic weapons, and demonic weapons destroy the entire freaking world.

- Enemy design is interesting, but utlimately every enemy looks too much alike, and their attacks are often very similar too. I also felt that enemies could've used a bit more color and more imaginative designs than just 'demonic porcelain puppet with chainsaw attached to shoulder'. Designs like Berial and Credo from DMC4, and DMC3's bosses are just way better. Getting past enemies' defenses often comes down to wailing on them with an overpowered demonic weapon. Angelic weapons are weak as hell.
    All bosses can be beaten in pretty much the same way; get behind/beside them with platforming, wail on them, rinse and repeat.

- Cutscenes can be overly 'emo', even though that wasn't the angle the game was going for. Things like Dante looking for his 'heart' (emotions and humanity) by cutting himself open and checking if he still had his literal heart... it's just stupid and childish and incredibly cliché.

- Graphics are okay, characters look pretty realistic, though level design color gets annoying after a while, since everything's just red, red, red. And then blue, blue, blue. Green, blue, orange. ''Alright, level design = finished. Great job, everyone!''

I almost feel obligated to rate this game lower just because of Ninja Theory's insulting comments that old Dante isn't cool anymore, as though taste is now suddenly objective. As though they get to decide what we should think. Comparing old superhero-ish Dante to the cowboys from Brokeback Mountain lying in a grassy field... no. Just no. That was a blatant attempt to make old Dante look lame, and they took a boring picture to represent that. I even got the feeling that they were insinuating Dante was gay (probably not though), and I guess homosexuality is synonymous with 'uncool' nowadays.

The game is mediocre. It rips off the movie They Live, it's got a half-baked conspiracy story, boring characters, it mashes DMC3 and DMC1's plots together, and it doesn't really feel like Devil May Cry. Its gameplay is restrictive and sometimes very dull. I can't believe a Devil May Cry game from 2013 is actually worse than DMC3, from 2005. Yeah, it's better than DMC1, because DMC1 wasn't very good yet, it was just scraps of RE4. Besides, it was a 2001 game. Any reviewer worth their paycheck can't compare this to DMC1. If they *must* compare it to anything (I honestly hate comparing new games to old games), compare it to the best in the series, DMC3.

And no, the fans can't be the cause of DmC's financial failure. The fanbase is far too small and fluid to make much of a difference. DmC was made for a huge, western audience, and it was supposed to sell great regardless of the fanbase. It only sold 1.1 million. Even general gamers didn't like it. Glad to hear DMC5 is a possibility now.
  8. Dec 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start about this game? Well first off I want to say that DMC fans don't dislike this game because ''they don't like change''. If that were true, DMC would've died years ago, since each DMC has been pretty different from the last. Each Dante was different too. I'll explain just why this game fails objectively and subjectively.

The plot isn't all that logical. Mundus (the demon king) wants to control the world through debt, but... why, exactly? Because he hates humans? He wants them to be enslaved? And why would he want that? Why not kill them altogether in his demon form, or let other demons do it for him? Where did this Mundus even come from, and why would he send demons after Dante if Dante never posed a threat? Mundus didn't even know about Vergil, so it's possible Dante would just leave Mundus alone.
    The plot, in my opinion, is kinda childish. Like somebody else said, it's a typical 'corporations are evil, government is bad' story.
    The characters are pretty unremarkable, not likable. Kat goes from shy to annoying and passive-aggressive in the blink of an eye. Vergil comes across as whiny and generally insane. If we're supposed to feel bad about his fight with Dante and his fall from grace and transformation into a wannabe dictator... well... I don't. It doesn't work because Vergil was unlikable in the first place. He stabs people in the back, shoots them in the stomach and lets it sink in... he's honorless.
    Dante is an uncaring and obnoxious guy. His character would've worked better if it allowed for drama; if Dante's demeanor were contrasted with bouts of emotionality. As it is, Dante never inspires you to love him or to laugh at any jokes he makes. He's unethical and disturbed just like Vergil, and that never really changes.
    And the plot ending makes little sense. Dante decides, based on his interactions with Kat (who was useless, ran away, got caught, etc) that humans can rule themselves and aren't useless in any way. Why is Kat a character when Dante could just interact with local humans? Maybe some humans could be part of the Order, so that Dante can get to know humans better? Naah, of course not, that would make too much sense. Vergil's revelation that he wanted to rule the humans (with Dante) wasn't a revelation... we already knew he had plans, it was telegraphed multiple times in overly obvious ways.

The gameplay's poor. You've got no styles, which means fewer moves than in DMC3 and 4. You've got no lock-on mechanism, making you randomly target enemies (usually the one closest to you, though). The angel weapons are underpowered, while the demon weapons are overpowered. Some enemies force you to use angel/demon weapons only, which limits your combos. Those weapons just don't have large enough movesets.
    Almost every combo finisher sends enemies flying, meaning you're forced to use the Demon Pull or Angel Lift if you want to keep attacking.
    The bosses are so easy it's insulting, and it comes down to being forced to exploit their weaknesses with platforming. Devil Trigger only makes it even easier because it's a slow time function.
    Platforming, by the way, isn't platforming at all. It requires no skill, and little timing. All you do is press the same button over and over.
    Overall, the game's too easy. You get SSS rankings like candy.

The soundtrack and the acting are okay, not much else. The guy voicing Vergil sounds believable, if a bit annoying. Tim Phillips (Dante) sounds thoroughly bored, even when the writing tells him to be shocked or angry. When he yells, he sounds like he doesn't mean it... just bad acting. The best voice actor would be the one who voiced Kat, whom I can find very few faults with.
    The music is okay, though like the game, overly edgy. It comes across as trying too hard, and it would've been nice if it were more like songs rather than anthems.

Graphics are nice, it looks surreal and menacing. That said, all the color and contrastlessness (yeah a new word) really got to me. Got a nice headache souvenir from Limbo. The characters sometimes look weird too - Kat's face shape seems to change with each cutscene, and V&D occasionally look like mannequins or something.

I don't see why this game gets high grades from some people. It's not even as good as DMC3, a game from 2005. Bayonetta 2 is far superior to DmC in almost every way, and in the end, it's more similar to DMC too. DmC threw everything (except gameplay) that defined Devil May Cry in the trash. And yeah, I am a DMC fan, but that also makes me a good critic of new products in the franchise. I advise you not to support this game. Get the HD Collection and DMC4 if you want a 'fix'. This game's only decent.
  9. Dec 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I started playing, I was hopeful about its quality. I'm not a fanboy; I see many flaws in DMC too, though it knew what it was doing.

First, its story is incredibly juvenile. It's a plot that mirrors the Illuminati conspiracy theory. Aside from that, it also criticizes capitalism in a very hamfisted way, with Dante scoffing at billboards and slapping a can of energy drink out of somebody's hand. Mundus, the leader of Limbo, is a demon who's a corrupt businessman who 'controls the world through debt'. No idea how that works, and it's never explained either. Mundus's motives are not explained, and there is no backstory on him either. He could just merge the demon world with the humans' and let their world get overrun by demons, but I guess he never thought of that.
    Dante meets his twin (whom he doesn't recognize even though he looks exactly like him), and is told that their father was banished by Mundus. That somehow motivates Dante to defeat Mundus, even though he had no interest to before, and he has no reason to avenge his father either, since he never knew him and has no connection to him ideologically or emotionally. Vergil and Dante never try to find out what exactly happened to their father, or even if he's alive.
    Somewhere along the line, Vergil shoots Mundus's wife through the stomach to kill both her and her child. It doesn't matter that that woman was a demon, it's still immoral. Dante simply reacts shocked, but shrugs it off fairly quickly - he even rubs it in when he meets Mundus. Throughout the game, the words 'f*ck you' are repeated at least six times, as though it's supposed to make you angry, but it only comes across as though the game tries to be as edgy as possible. It's very cliché.

The characters are one-dimensional. Kat does nothing but complain, gets captured and serves mainly as a plot progresser. Instead of being a strong female character like Trish, Kat is portrayed as a useless but cute girl. Vergil comes across as overly emotional, and he wants to replace Mundus as a dictator, simply because ''humans are weak''. Vergil also looks contradictory. He's got a posh Homburg hat, but he also wears a black coat with a blue floral pattern type of thing. His behavior is equally confused. At the end of the game, Kat reassures Dante that ''I know exactly who you are - you're Dante''. First off, she still doesn't know him well, and secondly, the hints at a romantic relationship make no sense. If anything, she seems to harbor feelings for Vergil, which are never discussed again.
    Dante himself is like an obnoxious football hooligan or something. He comments that he's ''Dante the demon killer'', and every time he smiles, it's like a smirk. The transformation from a-hole to likable, flamboyant trash-talker I had hoped for is not there. He is unlikable.

The gameplay is almost as bad, though thankfully the Capcom team worked on it too. The game has half as many combos as DMC4 did. The styles were removed. The lock-on function was removed, which means you're flailing at enemies Dante decided to target. There's enemies who can't be hurt by your normal weapons, so you're forced to switch to demonic or angelic weapons - which severely limits your combo potential in groups of enemies. Some enemies can only be defeated by grappling toward them.
    The boss fights are far too easy and rely on shallow platforming elements. One of the weapons is so overpowered you can kill bosses in a few hits, while also racking up style points. Some of the weapons have essentially the same function in combat, and the Aquila is only useful for disabling weak enemies so you can focus on a strong one.
    The gameplay can still be fun, there's still a little comboing potential. But with all the boring, shallow platforming in between fights (consisting of grappling onto ledges over and over), that doesn't help much.

The enemy design is lackluster; instead of having anime-like demons with elements from human mythology, we now have enemies like Poison, who looks like a huge caterpillar. The only demon who I thought looked decent was Bob Barbas. His fight was nice. Still, I can't help but facepalm at the juvenile comparison to a Fox News anchor. Just because Fox News is stupid doesn't mean it's evil or tries to control the world. It's hamfisted.

The graphics are okay, but most levels consist of one color; it goes from red to blue to green. But, there was an upside down realm, which looked great.

The soundtrack gets your blood pumping sometimes, but it's edgy and not too varied.

Overall, the presentation is hamfisted, the characters unlikable and shallow, the gameplay bland and two steps down from previous DMCs, the acting mediocre, the dialogs ridiculous, the soundtrack decent, and the graphics too colorful and monochromatic (but creative and epic). The game doesn't feel like Devil May Cry either; the characters and story are different, and there's no real horror or anime style. Skip this game, wait for DMC4: Special Edition.
  10. Oct 31, 2014
    Before i go off on a rant, can i ask why reboot a great series like DMC? Capcom has been failing with Resident Evil since their master piece with 4, 5 and 6 (especially 6 since 5 had some redeeming factors but not enough to make it a good game) have been terrible.

Anyways onto the game. It follows this "new" Dante and Vergil in this new world controlled by demons. From the original series Dante was born a demon and a human woman. In the new game he is born from a angel and demon. Okay i can go with that, changes it a bit but not enough to think this is a bad game right? Wrong

From here we find out that Dante has been changed from a witty badass to this uninteresting younger irresponsibly version of himself. He has no love for humans, he basically wants to sit in his trailer and cry about his past. So right off the bat hes an unlikable character. One of the opening cut scenes is him flying though the air getting dressed while a piece of pizza covers him up. He eventually changes his mind about humanity and voes to protect him, but all throughout the game hes not the same Dante we have known for years. There is even a pun at the old Dante, why? All Ninja Theory is doing is alienating the fans even more. We LIKED old Dante, and didn't want him to change. So why say F the fans for wanting the old Dante back?

Now we meet up with Vergil, our twin brother we just find out, and hes no better then Dante. Hes annoying and whinny just like Dante, and hes supposed to want to rule the humans but its never really explained why except for "I'm better then them" In the original series Vergil wanted power, more specifically the power of the dark knight Sparta, his father. Its all out there and explained. Here its not explained and I'm sure as a fan we just didn't care either.

Onto the art style. There's no denying this game looks great. The limbo world you visit looks stunning. Each enemy looks good and resemble a manikin(I'm assuming they were inspired from the original game) and they all look really cool. All the bosses looked stunning, they took a lot of time to design each environment and it shows.

Onto the combat. In DMC4 you were able to switch from your devil arms and guns freely and using the d-pad you could switch from what style you wanted to use, similarly in DCM3 you could select between 2 guns and devil arms at the start of each level and you could switch freely between those. In DMC (the reboot) you only get rebellion. On certain trips to limbo you are able to use rebellion on certain painting and upgrade it to demonic or angelic weapons and depending on what button combination you old you can switch freely between them in combat. Now where this isn't the worst way to switch weapons in a action game, I don't get why you cant just cycle though it instead of having to hold a single button just to do a combo. The guns themselves are a joke, the weakest they have ever been in a DMC game, I don't think i even used them once. Combat itself feels quiet shallow. Basic SSS attacks is all you need to kill most basic enemies.

This being a modern Hack and Slash game it has a ranking system, but its the most forgiving system Ive seen especially in a DCM game. There is no real punishment for using the same combo frequently and your rank will only go down if you get hit, it is no longer based on time.

Another questionable decision was to remove targeting from the game. On harder difficulties targeting is a necessity to easily get rid of the weakened and easier mobs or to focus down one harder mob, like a Blitz from DMC 4. Why remove something that is in every action game and every DMC game before this?

Overall looking past the fact of the reboot and on its own individual game, it has a few things that make it a okay game. The environments and enemies both look good. The combat is shallow and not very rewarding, but not bad either. The story and characters are both awful.

If you look at this game as a standalone, separate from the original DMC games it isn't a terrible game, it just isn't good either.
  11. Apr 17, 2014
    Many give this game heaps trouble because of the new Dante, who I do admit is VERY unlikeable and him with the rest of his buds just look like a tree house gang hating bad Mr Demon King who stole their ball. But don't listen to them, they are just fan boys who are just whinnig abut it not being the same as the original games. So for fluent, engaging combat, a interesting take on the storyMany give this game heaps trouble because of the new Dante, who I do admit is VERY unlikeable and him with the rest of his buds just look like a tree house gang hating bad Mr Demon King who stole their ball. But don't listen to them, they are just fan boys who are just whinnig abut it not being the same as the original games. So for fluent, engaging combat, a interesting take on the story and JAW DROPPING designs to pretty much everything this gets a recommendation from me. However things you must note is that there is no lock on feature which can be very annoying and you should plan to play through it multiple times in order to get to the harder difficulties like Dante must die as the default ones are just too easy. Expand
  12. Feb 11, 2014
    It is a good game with a good story. It was a nice reboot of a great series. When you compare it to the previous games, it falls flat, but as a stand-alone it was an immersive game with good graphics and an easy-to-understand fighting style. Overall it was a little too easy, and in other places it seemed the story was trying too hard to appeal to fans. It could be juvenile and theIt is a good game with a good story. It was a nice reboot of a great series. When you compare it to the previous games, it falls flat, but as a stand-alone it was an immersive game with good graphics and an easy-to-understand fighting style. Overall it was a little too easy, and in other places it seemed the story was trying too hard to appeal to fans. It could be juvenile and the backstory of characters such as Dante and Vergil seem to rely on prior knowledge of the series, so if I was someone who had never played a Devil May Cry game, I would find the story hard to get into but still a great game. Expand
  13. Jan 12, 2014
    a decent hack and slash game that maybe plays it too safe? it was an ok overall game, but one where I had more complaints than praises. The story and cast of characters were as weak as any game I remember playing in recent memories; it's basically I hate you and I'm going to kill you type of story. The gameplay is fun, however the magic wears off once you realize the move list does nota decent hack and slash game that maybe plays it too safe? it was an ok overall game, but one where I had more complaints than praises. The story and cast of characters were as weak as any game I remember playing in recent memories; it's basically I hate you and I'm going to kill you type of story. The gameplay is fun, however the magic wears off once you realize the move list does not grow as the game goes along, and the later weapon additions in the game were a non factor. I guess the secret to enjoying this is to not marathon play it. If your not hack n slashing, you're jumping from one area to another chaining to each other, those are the only two gametype in this game. Anyone who enjoys hack and slash games go ahead you'll know what to expect; but it is a step below god of war imo. 75/100 Expand
  14. Jan 5, 2014
    This is my honest review from a fan of the original Devil May Cry series ever since the first on the PS2. This is a good game, it's a great hack and slash/extreme combat game but not a truly worthy Devil May Cry game. DmC is a lot of fun it has a good combat system that is very simple and easy for people new to this genre or who simply couldn't get into previous Devil May Crys and I wouldThis is my honest review from a fan of the original Devil May Cry series ever since the first on the PS2. This is a good game, it's a great hack and slash/extreme combat game but not a truly worthy Devil May Cry game. DmC is a lot of fun it has a good combat system that is very simple and easy for people new to this genre or who simply couldn't get into previous Devil May Crys and I would recommend it to that sort of person and then recommend that if you like it go and play the originals (not 2 though that one sucks) if you want more depth and complexity so that you can experience the best this genre has to offer. Unfortunately for veterans I have to say that this games lack of difficulty, lack of a lock on feature (why?????) sometimes lacking boss battles which were always a highlight of the originals, swallowed out, simplified and sometimes restricted combat and ridiculously generous style meter is what let this game down for me. Instead of creating a game that would be a true and worthy successor/reboot to the DMC franchise it has been geared down to be more accessible to non veterans in an attempt to boost sales and appeal which has backfired as it only sold 1.1 million far below its original forecast. had this game been a new IP from Ninja Theory it would have been very impressive, but it just doesn't live up to its legacy (it's definitely a lot better than DMC2 though, that's for sure) Again if your new to this Franchise/Genre or just simply couldn't get into the previous DMC's and wanted to go for it this is an ideal game for you, however if you are a veteran try to find as much video footage of play throughs as possible so that you can see for yourself and make up your own mind as its very hard to describe in words whether this game is for you or not. for me personally this game could've been a lot better if they hadn't stripped it of the mechanics and difficulty that made me and kept me as a fan for over ten years. I can also honestly say that you should ignore the ridiculous overating this game has received from so called professional critics who are only giving it such praise to spite anyone who didn't want this reboot, have never played a previous DMC game, clearly haven't thoroughly played this game through or just to try to counter the also ridiculous hate this game has received from fans. The user score on this website isn't fair it deserves better than that but I certainly prefer the original especially DMC 3 which was the best although 4 was still great. whichever approach you have come from in researching this game do more and make up your own mind but the combination of critic and user reviews here on Metacritic is very unreliable. Expand
  15. Dec 23, 2013
    i played this game starting to think that this is the worst game ever made in hole history but it wasn't as desapointed as i thought,but it is still disapointed.
  16. Nov 26, 2013
    very solid gameplay and it has a great storyline. fans need to stop whining about how they changed dante's look (even though i miss the old one) and how they dramtically changed some of the personality. Vergil still wants power and mundus is still cold hearted and evil. Kat is an ok female character but not lady/trish good. What they got right was gameplay and style and how amazing it feltvery solid gameplay and it has a great storyline. fans need to stop whining about how they changed dante's look (even though i miss the old one) and how they dramtically changed some of the personality. Vergil still wants power and mundus is still cold hearted and evil. Kat is an ok female character but not lady/trish good. What they got right was gameplay and style and how amazing it felt to fight the bosses. The final boss was amazing in away how it complicated dante's growth and his caring to try and redeem the boss and protect humanity. V Expand
  17. Jun 10, 2013
    Being new to the Devil May Cry universe I found the new addition to the franchise entertaining from a action aspect as well with a kick ass soundtrack written by Noisia and Combichrist. With that said. I beat it on the hell and hell difficultly and once you have mastered the combo's and upgraded every weapon it's a slight challenge. Getting a Sensational ranking is very easy compared toBeing new to the Devil May Cry universe I found the new addition to the franchise entertaining from a action aspect as well with a kick ass soundtrack written by Noisia and Combichrist. With that said. I beat it on the hell and hell difficultly and once you have mastered the combo's and upgraded every weapon it's a slight challenge. Getting a Sensational ranking is very easy compared to previous Devil May Cry's. The game does make you feel like a badass in combat but some fight's are generic and can get a little tedious and annoying. I enjoyed the Limbo parts of the game and it shows Ninja Theory had some great artistic designs but the story is were this game starts to suffer. To be honest the new look of Dante never steered me away from the game but it was his lack of a interesting character along with Kat and Vergil. Bob Barbas the demonic Raptor Reporter was the greatest and most fun boss battle I've battled in a while at the same time some boss battles are copy and paste and there is not much for innovation. The camera angles can sometimes build a mind of it's own and leave you stuck staring at the ceiling but it's a minor issue. The final verdict is that it's a okay game after going back through all of the difficulties and getting most of the achievements. The DLC Vergil's downfall holds no torch to the actual game. If you are a massive fan of the franchise it might disappoint you with only 2 hours of actual gameplay and a somewhat half assed tale of Vergil's Downfall. If Ninja Theory made a DMC 2 I'd give it a try but the game has gotten a lot of hate but if you want to give this a try, wait till a huge price drop and give it ago! Don't set your expectations high. Plus there is a moment in the game were a white wig happens to flop onto Dante's head and he looks into a mirror reflecting on the old style of Dante. Dante smirks and says, "Not in a million years". With this said it's a huge middle finger to the older franchise and like I said myself not being a huge fan of the serious I felt the anger with that being in the game. It was unnecessary and it goes to show you where the company feels about the past games and the history of DMC. We might not see a DMC 2 and with that I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed. Expand
  18. May 19, 2013
    Its a great game the story is really good compared to some other hack and slash games I've played I wish the new Dante was more like the Dante in previous games but other than that and few combat issues I had it was a really good game I'd highly recommend
  19. May 3, 2013
    In my opinion a good game. I grew tired of the devil may cry series when no.4 came out despite being a huge fan of 1 and 3. This game seems to be different to many of the other devil may cry games in the battles, locations and most noticeably the characters. The game is alot darker but more modern (not a haunted castle in sight, which while it was cool gets abit old). The huge differenceIn my opinion a good game. I grew tired of the devil may cry series when no.4 came out despite being a huge fan of 1 and 3. This game seems to be different to many of the other devil may cry games in the battles, locations and most noticeably the characters. The game is alot darker but more modern (not a haunted castle in sight, which while it was cool gets abit old). The huge difference is Dante himself, while he's had many changes in personality over the years this is possibly the biggest, he's basically a incredibly cruel guy in almost every aspect, in the beginning he shows this cruel side to everyone, including his allies. By the end of the game he is even harsher in some ways but shows some small shame for the things he does to his enemies. I wouldn't put this in the same series as the other DMC to be honest. It's an entirely new one so old fans will definitely hate it. Expand
  20. Apr 24, 2013
    I played this game as a fan of Ninja Theory, not as a fan of the Devil May Cry franchise. While I was disappointed in how much they reached back to their Heavenly Sword roots with the combat mechanic, I believe they executed it moderately better in this game. The facial animation/acting is a step down from what I came to expect by playing Enslaved, but still better than the vast majorityI played this game as a fan of Ninja Theory, not as a fan of the Devil May Cry franchise. While I was disappointed in how much they reached back to their Heavenly Sword roots with the combat mechanic, I believe they executed it moderately better in this game. The facial animation/acting is a step down from what I came to expect by playing Enslaved, but still better than the vast majority of games. Despite the popular sentiment, I found this game to be extremely difficult and would think that the 'easy' setting would be even easier to give access to a wider audience. My biggest problem, as with Heavenly Sword, was with the combat system. It is incredibly complex, but I can understand how after mastering it, the game might be too easy. I simply never mastered it. Even in the final boss fight I was hitting the wrong buttons frequently in a panic. The plot was middle of the road. It should have been better. I wanted to see more lore about the angel side of things. Almost all exposition lies in with the demon mythology. What really blew me away about this game was the level design. It is so dynamic and interesting that it made my brain tired. There is so much moving, changing and hidden for later. I was impressed at how complex it looked, while it was able to still give me guidance. I'm still looking forward to more from Ninja Theory, but could easily ditch the DmC intellectual property. Expand
  21. Apr 13, 2013
    The gameplay is solid, while devil trigger sucks ass and the new style system has been dumbed down considerable. However, the characters are horrid and the dialogue reminds me of a 15 year old's fan fiction. Storyline was semi-interesting though. And c'mon, new Dante does look like a heroin junkie.
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    If you haven't played this yet and are still on the fence, then just wait for a massive price drop. As an action game, it's not a bad title. I'd say it's around an 8/10. However, this is a Devil May Cry game, a series whose pedigree is on lightning fast gameplay and timing, and brutal difficulty. This game is most certainly not that. If you are a casual gamer, pick it up at a reducedIf you haven't played this yet and are still on the fence, then just wait for a massive price drop. As an action game, it's not a bad title. I'd say it's around an 8/10. However, this is a Devil May Cry game, a series whose pedigree is on lightning fast gameplay and timing, and brutal difficulty. This game is most certainly not that. If you are a casual gamer, pick it up at a reduced price. If you are a previous DMC fan, I would suggest a rental, or go play something worthwhile like the new Metal Gear Rising game. Expand
  23. Feb 18, 2013
    I will admit that while the game does have some issues, the overall package is good. As a seasoned DMC player, having played 1, 2, and 3 (I want to get 4) I can tell you that it is NOT Devil May Cry good. Vergil has really fallen out of my respect, Kat just seems like a half-assed love interest for Dante, and the FOX news references are very abundant. Not to say that all of it is bad.I will admit that while the game does have some issues, the overall package is good. As a seasoned DMC player, having played 1, 2, and 3 (I want to get 4) I can tell you that it is NOT Devil May Cry good. Vergil has really fallen out of my respect, Kat just seems like a half-assed love interest for Dante, and the FOX news references are very abundant. Not to say that all of it is bad. Mundus is a pretty good villian. The whole, "control the world through debt" thing was pretty cool. And the shape shifting enviroments are also very appealing. The graphics are good, but as some of the other reviewers have stated, you tend to expect that from unreal engine games. Some characters are un-memorable, like the various demons you fight, as well as other characters, such as Lilith, Mundus' wife/prostitute/child-bearer, and Phineas, the guy who helps you get to Bob Barbas. The boss battles in this game are superb. the battles with Mundus, the Succubus, and Bob are excellent. Now to get to the issues. Can someone tell me the value behind the wig joke? That came out of nowhere! and Dante's character is VERY unnapealing. The way he acts, looks, acts, and feels makes him feel sluggish, and make him look like he is trying to emulate the Dante we know and love. While the shape shifting world is great, and the enviroments pretty nice, the world doesn't make you feel that threatened. The combat. That is one of the places this needed to be good. The combat is WAY to easy to get an S ranking, let alone an SSS. the combat feels slow, but it feels like it adds momentum to Dante, but overrall feels sluggish and slow. There are also continuity issues. While Dante can use his sword, Rebellion in Limbo, he can't use it in the real world. But Vergil, Dante's brother, can use his sword, the Yamato #which was way cooler in DMC 3# in both the real world and Limbo, which makes no sense. The Kablooey gun was given a poor explanation as to it's abilities, and Dante's Devil Trigger is bland and boring, as apposed to Dante's other Devil Trigger forms in the past, which made him look like a DEMON, or a DEVIL, like the name DEVIL TRIGGER suggests. This game doesn't deserve all the praise that it gets from some reviewers, but it doesn't deserve the hate it has gotten either. It's right in the middle, and that isn't always a bad thing. But is this the end for the DMC 1-4 characters and their story? As the TRUE Dante would say, "The end? Don't bet on it." Expand
  24. Feb 15, 2013
    Combat Controls
    Combat Controls
    One thing that DMC was always about was C&C, smooth controls and crazy combos. And to be honest its somewhat here not at previous titles levels(i'm looking at you three), but still fast and furious. you'll notice old favorites like stinger and Helm breaker, and maybe some new ones like karma and double jump. as said before i did have issues with the controls, if you have tried the game on the 360 you'll probably know what i mean, but for those that don't its the weapon change. yes one of the core elements of this game holds you back right at the start, but in the beginning it wasn't that big of a deal, later on however this becomes a big issue later on when weapon change matters. you have to hold the shoulder buttons while attacking to use the weapon, and not just a little tap to cycle them but thought the whole combo, which make the combat later on tedious at best, also the lack of lock on would seem like a problem in other DMC games here, not so much. also why are their so many dodges one is fine, with out lock one their really wasn't a need for so many making for an even easier game. And the game while full of cool combos feel shallow with how predictable and easy the enemy AI is. For most part i didn't even lose half a life bar until later on when I had issues with the controls. Even bosses fell a tad to choreographer to simple grunt expose your weak point after attacking AI. And Devil trigger is only really used to fill up health meters.All in all a very different feel from the origins of the series but not so bad that i couldn't stop playing. still in my preference for a DMC game its disappointing. way to forgiving and hands out to many S ranks in my tastes.
    5 out of 10 (on PC i would give it a 6.5 only because of key binding)
    Story and Dialog
    Now this is where i have real issues with this game. i know that DMC is not know for its moving plots and life changing writing, but this one by far is most carbon copy plot ever. no really its just like They Live, go watch this. Now i like They Live, but not its video game rehash. Why, not so much that its bad idea, no its a pretty good concept. it all come down to a connection, between me and the characters and the world its in. Dante is like a a kid who tries to hard to convince me that hes his older cooler brother, Virgil's dialog was every emotionless and uncharismatic, and Kate wasn't that bad but she seamed to perfect, some how falling in love with Dante even though their wasn't much to love.he wasn't to witty, nor was their a deeper person on the inside with complex feelings and showing his though subtle hints like the old DMC. no he was just a person that is angry at something and never really get that resolved in game. his dialog is bad, and reduced to cursing and very predictable evil banter with the enemy.also the whole half angle/demon thing left me feeling that he to unrelatable, being a mere meager human. they even use the term Nephilim which are human/angle hybrids. also putting bill o'reilly in any type of media is wrong.
    4 out of 10 (Kate really save you here DMC)
    Platforming and Puzzles
    Not bad, considering the controls. The whole holding the shoulder buttons thing was what brought this down for me. because i have to hold the shoulder buttons it make it very arduous to say the least. too many times have i plummeted to my doom because of this,(Doom is a relative term here, like i said this game is way to forgiving) the delay between switching weapon is ridiculous and frustrating. the only reason i didn't really care about mastering this is, again, how forgiving it was .puzzles are at DMC2 level so its not so bad but nothing really jumps out at you. but overall i, its meh.
    6 out of ten(meh)
    Graphics
    Let me be the one to eat my hat on this one, the game looks fantastic. crisp, clear, and vibrant. the levels are varied and while at time frustrating the platforming was beautiful. the enemy's look great, lots of variations of them, their attacks look amazing, so amazing in fact that i would some times let Dante get hit just to see what would happen. Limbo is just as breathtaking as they said it would be and they delivered on it spot on. i am amazed on what Ninja theory did. also on a side note the enemy's looked very much like the one in DMC2, which i liked(yeah i know is bad, but played like an adventure so i liked it), and so dose parts of limbo.
    8.5 out of 10
    Over all a 6 out of 10
    Did DMC: Devil May Cry win the heart of the hard core, probably not. Did it get new blood in the sires Yes it did. for me i prefer the old DMC to this but in all honest it wasn't that bad of a game, it just wasn't what i wanted to a game called Devil May Cry.
  25. Feb 12, 2013
    Ok first thing first, It is a pregnant Demon that gets shot in the belly..... Why this gets failed to mention in every review is crazy and is it not a game about hunting Demons, this kept me from playing the game cause you all make it sound like its a woman that get shot in the stomach....... and thats crap and you all know it. Now to the actual review, story wise it is very much a rip offOk first thing first, It is a pregnant Demon that gets shot in the belly..... Why this gets failed to mention in every review is crazy and is it not a game about hunting Demons, this kept me from playing the game cause you all make it sound like its a woman that get shot in the stomach....... and thats crap and you all know it. Now to the actual review, story wise it is very much a rip off of "they live" but its a good one..... i really enjoyed the story and really if you have played any of the other games the story is no better or worse in those ones, the combat in the game is well done..... my only complaint is your score does not reset until you get hit and it makes it really easy to get a crazy high score with minimal effort but all in all the combat is great. Graphics are great as well and the level design blew me away, you are always changing locations and the levels are highly well done. Now boss fights were amazing but they were all so easy, once you know what to do it is really easy to avoid getting hit and overcome the boss battles. Now the really bad part about this game is DANTE........ He is such an ass in this game, the old Dante was but this one just makes it hard to care about the story at all, really no one in this game is likable..... though towards the end of the game i did start to care slightly, i'm looking forward to what they do with the next game. Really it could have been better but it could have been a hell of a lot worse too. Now you might be thinking why should i trust this guys review....... to that i would say because i am a huge devil may cry fan, so much so that back in 2002 i had a son and i named him Dante...... Though that was after the old Dante. If your a fan i would say wait till it goes on sale and pick it up, still a great game even though no one is likable. Expand
  26. Feb 11, 2013
    Ok i admit i wasn't expecting much from this new Devil May Cry reboot it its pretty good the game starts with a great intro and a fun tutorial level. the weapons are great and work amazingly well together and are original and pretty epic looking. the combat is fairly fast paced and violent just as you would expect from a devil may cry game. the story isn't great but it picks up at the end.Ok i admit i wasn't expecting much from this new Devil May Cry reboot it its pretty good the game starts with a great intro and a fun tutorial level. the weapons are great and work amazingly well together and are original and pretty epic looking. the combat is fairly fast paced and violent just as you would expect from a devil may cry game. the story isn't great but it picks up at the end. the new Dante is not as funny or original as the one in the first three. overall it was a good attempt from capcom/ninja theory. sorry for the short review but i hope it helps. Expand
  27. Feb 9, 2013
    Story was good but Game play was too normal actions not very well but good Bosses are stupid and when you finish it you will have no attraction to complete new opened games from first
  28. Feb 7, 2013
    Many people are bashing on this game, while yes I admit I HATE the new Dante it doesn't mean the game deserves a 0 it's a decent game, great gameplay, and while it may be easier you have to understand that some of these changes were done to help introduce new players. Overall, if you can get over Dante and you look at the core components of what makes a good game it passes.
  29. Feb 3, 2013
    I do not believe this game deserves the low scores it is getting or the extremely high score, this game is just above average at best. I do believe the series has taken a drastic nosedive, the combat system has been dumbed down and made much easier. This is not all bad however as it allows the game to become more accessible to new players of the series and makes gameplay somewhat fresh forI do not believe this game deserves the low scores it is getting or the extremely high score, this game is just above average at best. I do believe the series has taken a drastic nosedive, the combat system has been dumbed down and made much easier. This is not all bad however as it allows the game to become more accessible to new players of the series and makes gameplay somewhat fresh for new players. One thing I would like to complain about is the characters, more importantly Dante. The character of Dante In this game is defiantly inferior to his previous incarnation., the most annoying thing about him is that he has become a potty-mouth 5 year old instead of a smart talking demon killer, with him taking the chance to drop a swear every chance he gets. Overall this game could have been better character and story-wise with some parts of the gameplay needing readjustment, but other than these reasons it is still a solid game that should be tried out by everyone.

6/10-Better than Average.
  30. Feb 3, 2013
    Since it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need aSince it was my first DMC (Aside of Bayonetta i was never into the Genre) it was fine. There where some neat ideas and the gameplay was fluid. Story was somewhat generic. If they had removed this chick from the story and put in a guy (or women) who teaches him to get over his "I'm a ponce cuz of my miserable childhood' thing, there could be some character development. But i guess we need a chick in every game cuz we secretly keep playing because we hope that we can see ber boobies in the end. Expand
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    NT's latest reboot of DmC franchise is exactly what gamers should hate gaming right now. It depicts how casualized gaming has become,, so it can appeal to the broader audience. Sure, the argument against it is, hey, Capcom wants to make money, so of course the right thing to do is to appeal to the biggest demographic there is, which is apparently 12 years old kids spouting memes and swearNT's latest reboot of DmC franchise is exactly what gamers should hate gaming right now. It depicts how casualized gaming has become,, so it can appeal to the broader audience. Sure, the argument against it is, hey, Capcom wants to make money, so of course the right thing to do is to appeal to the biggest demographic there is, which is apparently 12 years old kids spouting memes and swear words on XBL. So really, if you are a fan of DmC franchise, this game is not targeted at you. Collapse

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.