5.0

1. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is NOT good, ok? Now that you understand this, please note that I'm not trolling, it's just that DmC really deserves this score. Yes, it is that bad, it's the worst game in the series.
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    I was hesitant to get involved in the reboot DMC debate, as I personally detest it and others have made points about the game for me. However I was enraged to read certain websites slagging off the user metacritic overall opinion (slagging it off yet still reading and talking about it), acting high and mighty when in reality they are merely one set of trolls against another set on Metacritic who set up new accounts just to slag this game off! Though it doesn't surprise me these high and mighty sites and their following do not actually question the 'professional' review scores, or question industry corruption like 'Doritos-gate' for example whilst happily receiving backhanders for positive scores!? Below I've listed the main reasons why I detest this game and hope Ninja Theory never makes a game again!

1) The Art work is terrible, it's a mishmash of dull orange and psychedelic colours. This new Dante, Vergil and Cat were designed to attach younger urban punk people to play the game. This look has zero appeal to me, and obviously many others.
    2) The dialogue and plot are abysmal, truly lame brained juvenile nonsense. Yet those who defend this game call those who point this out as juvenile, ridiculous! Yes the previous games weren't exactly War and Peace, but they had 100% more character than this.
    3) The themes like the half Angel stuff and media control are actually quite offense to those with Religious/Moral views! I really dislike Ninja Theory and their view of lifestyles, and am absolutely livid they incorporated that into the game. I play games for relaxation, not to have 'saucy' Angels (God forbid) rammed down my throat! The media control stuff makes me laugh, as again the same people who are slagging the hardcore fans off for hating this game will happily believe their governments lies in the media, please reference the Iraq war or WMD's or the economic crash etc. Pot, kettle, black.....

Anyway they are the main reasons why I detest this game, and the uproar that has unfolded has made me realise that there are many trolls and people with no morals or ideals of their own, and that truly is the scary thing!
  3. Feb 2, 2013
    Ok let´s take a look into the first problem, Dante himself and it´s not only his new look it´s his personality, in the other games he was always cool, funny and a great comic relief character and a badass. In this game the guy lives in a trailer, has casual sex and it´s just an ashoole and tries to be "cool" by swearing and saying you all the time is just a punk and yeah I know that there is a freaking DLC featuring a Dante DMC3 costume but the problem is that even with that skin it´s still this punk Dante it doesn´t fix anything.
    The combat is a serious step down from DMC3 and 4, first of there are no styles in the game, secondly the style meter is beyond broken, it only goes down when you get hit but if you reach the SSS rank it stays there with no cooldown, and thirly there is no lock-on and that´s a pain in the ass specially if you want to aim for the flying annoying enemies.
    If you´re looking for a modern encarnation of DMC go play Bayonneta is made by the same director of the original DMC. just avoid this game
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    This game caused a lot of controversy, taking a beloved hardcore franchise and rebooting and changing everything to grab an audience that might not even exist is a risky move. But did it pay off? No. Despite changing VERY MUCH of the game due to fan outcry, we have an underwhelming action game made by an amateur developer. They are trying to sell this to us as a deep hardcore action title that lives up to or is BETTER than the original games, but it just isn't at all. The combat is easy, very easy. Getting a high score is ridiculously because two of the weapons are broken. One of the weapons in the game is entirely worthless in fact. There's no sense of balance. Everything has been dumbed down considerably, the lead combat designer even admits he has no idea how what you see in professional DMC player videos works. So the company Capcom chose has no idea how to make a game in the franchise or genre. Either the enemies are punching bags, or they're annoying and gimmicky and break the pace of the game entirely. As the game moves into its final 3rd, MOST of the enemies you face will be these gimmick enemies who can only be hit by a single weapon. It's frustrating that you are unlocking more weapons and moves but the game is forcing you to use less of them. The lack of a lock-on feature causes some issues with attacking what you want. The controls are clunky and slightly slow. The bosses are a joke. This is NOT the game to go to for your hardcore action fix. It's functional and at its best when you are fighting several small enemies at once. It is at its worst when you are fighting enemies who can only be damaged by a specific weapon. There's lots of unskippable cutscenes that break up the gameplay and there's platforming that doesn't add much to the game as well. Ninja Theory has never been known for good gameplay though, so how does it fare in the other parts of the game? Well not much better. The soundtrack for the game is comprised too much of electronic scrubbing and sweeping noises, it's boring and they could have easily done better. The voice acting is unemotional and amateurish. The story is bland, predictable, and the characters unlikable. I ended up liking the villains more than the heroes and never understood why the villains were the bad guy in the first place. Visually though, this game is amazing. This game may have changed my entire opinion on Unreal Engine 3, I always thought it was **** before I played DmC. But here they've crafted a gorgeous, visually spectacular game. The colors are vibrant, the environments are cool and interesting, the special effects are super cool. Sadly the environments get less inspired as the game goes on. The highlight of the game is Chapter 10, only halfway through the whole game. All in all DmC isn't good enough to justify carrying the Devil May Cry name and won't satisfy hardcore players. The 360 version is the way to go if your PC isn't beefy enough to run Unreal 3 as the PS3 version is very choppy Expand
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Worst game in the series by far. The gameplay is dumbed down, and Capcom paid off websites to give it good reviews. Between the horribly redesigned Dante, boring and tedious gameplay, and terrible story, this is a terrible reboot of a once-great franchise.
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    Ok i am not a fan of DMC but i liked the DMC 3 i though it was a good game with great style and combat. This game has a good combat but i just hate easy games and this reboot it is one of them. It is so much easier than the past other games that i just didnt like it is a bit fun but the lack of challenge really pull me off and then i lost interest.
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've had my doubts about DmC: Devil may Cry since it's announcement for obvious reasons. The cover art alone with the new model of Dante is not a pretty sight to see as the face of what was an amazing game series. I tried to look beyond that when I finally picked up this game so I could finally say once again that I have beaten all the DMC games. This however was not a possibility. This game contradicts everything that made DMC great. Why does Dante no longer know his father, why is his mother an angel? why didn't Dante recognise Vergil as his brother? Why does Dante become loving and caring? WHY DANTES REMODEL? I tried to enjoy the game by looking past these issues but it was just not possible. I understand that this game is a "reboot" but it is just not needed. An awful story, awful level design and awful boss battles and strategies. Tie all this with the "Limbo to real life" game settings and it just creates a confusing atmosphere that is difficult to follow and just outright makes zero sense. Even the final battle is just a literal copy and paste combination of the bosses from Devil may Cry (the original) and Devil may Cry 4. I guess this is what happens when a new company takes over a popular gaming franchise as seen with many other games recently. Not to mention to most controversial scene in this game which essentially is a massive F**K YOU to long time DmC fans. Nice move Ninja Theory. Expand
  8. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a horrible game. Here is a link why people dont like this game. A game is not made for old gamers this is like capcom is destroying there games. Use youtube and watch this vid watch?v=o4NaBrFkiDo this will show you why this game sucks in so many ways.
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    Simply put, this game is horrible, the dialog is horrible, the story sucks, the game is so damn easy, the gameplay is dumbed down, this game has absolutely no challenge, even on the hard modes and worst of all, Dante's look and personality disgusted me. I never finished the game, I got bored and sick of it, so I stopped playing it and popped in my DMC HD collection to get the bad taste out of my mouth and thankfully can still appreciate and enjoy those games a lot more. I'll be trading this sack of **** in tomorrow.

If you have the need to play a good Hack n Slash game, skip this pile of **** and pick up the Devil May Cry HD collection, then you'll get 3 Hack n Slash games that are a lot better for a lot less money.
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    Donte the franchise killer. Take the gameplay from Heavenly Sword, the plot from an emo reimagining of They live, and slap Devil May Cry's name on it.
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    First i need to say, this is not Devil May Cry but it is DMC i say this because it does not feel like Devil May Cry we know and love but feel like a new game witch is why i call it DMC.
    So lets get the hair business out of the way first, i don't care about the change they made!
    The story is okey but i like the old one better, but it has some nice points that give the story merit.
    Combat
    is the worst ever in the series, it just doesn't feel fun like the old one did.
    One thing i really love though is the levels how they change and how they look. They really nailed the look and feel of limbo and the demon world. Overall the game is not bad but it`s not a that good either. Rent it or get it when it`s cheaper.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    I really want a true sequel to the old ones, rather than a reboot. Why isnt this an official prequel, rather than a parralel universe? Really disapointing story and universe, while it is an ok game. Dont buy it.
  13. May 8, 2014
    All people who already talked about the game...well all is already said.The game is good as an reboot...but the story is lacking and the characters are just ****
  14. Jan 15, 2013
    First, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was very good in some places, although the level design itself was bland. Now, the bad. Where can one even begin? This game is an abortion (you see what I did there? Nice shot, Virgil. har har) when it comes to being a Devil May Cry game. Seemingly everything that was well loved about its namesake- challenging enemies and incredibly deep combat mechanics- has been thrown out. Instead, we are presented with shallow, repetitive "gameplay" that was seemingly added on as an afterthought and is only there to serve as a vehicle to move the juvenile, fanfiction-quality plot forward. We are shuttled from one un-interesting cutscene to the next by annoying, glitchy platforming. Sometimes, these glitches cause one to die- prepare to acquaint yourself with the loading screen. However, dying has little consequence, as save-points are everywhere. This sucks what little tension was left out of the "gameplay." I put quotation marks around the word gameplay for the following reason: From some point at the middle of the game, actual combat gameplay is completely overshadowed by the narrative. In one particular mission, now infamously known as the "baby killing level," absolutely no combat is required at all. Why is this game a reboot of a series known for its combat when it is nothing like the others? Why is it named "Devil May Cry"? On that note, let's turn our attention to another problem with this game: The characters. Dante is no longer a happy-go-lucky action-hero caricature that eats strawberry sundaes. Instead, he's a foul-mouthed teenybopper who smokes cigarettes in his high school bathroom and has a problem with authority. The supporting cast, particularly Dante's brother, has also seen significant changes for the worse. Finally, I want to talk about the attitudes of this game's creators and the gaming media which is too quick to come to their defense. From the very first showing of this game, Devil May Cry fans have been told that what they enjoyed about the previous games were wrong. In spite of this, the enormous amount of negative attention which the game received cowed the developers into making certain changes. However, none of the issues which fans have brought their protestations against have been met with maturity or decency. DmC's creative director and Ninja Theory talking head Tameem Antoniades has gone out of his way to appear callous and loathing towards fans of the series, repeatedly calling those who have questioned his "artistic vision" as "haters," borrowing a phrase currently in vogue with suburban twelve year olds and phoney media outlets. Antoniades' actions have alienated much of the original Devil May Cry fanbase, who learned quickly that this game is not marketed towards them. If they will not buy the game, that means that a new market must be found. Enter CAPCOM's marketing blitz. Virtually every "genuine" review of DmC up until release lauded immense praise on the game, skimming over multiple faults and plainly ignoring the fact that it is, in some ways, a resoundingly mediocre gaming experience. Each media outlet has been very consistent in ending their reviews, whatever their wording might be, with extremely high numerical scores. Something stinks. CAPCOM, faced with several financial (if not critical) failures like Resident Evil 6 is banking on this game succeeding. Therefore, they have turned the media hype machine to eleven. Every review must shine, and pay no mind to the advertisement for the game in the banner ads... ahem... In closing, this game is a stain upon its lineage and the bizarro idolization of it by the media only solidifies the divide between gaming "journalism" and reality in the minds of gamers everywhere. The irony isn't lost on us, you know: A game whose story is centered on corporate mind control and evil media, being forced down the throats of gamers by a sleazy corporation and corrupt gamer "journalism" that is about as impartial as a toy commercial. Ninja Theory: In the words of Dante from DmC, "You're an ###hole." I give this corporate shlock and the media noise-pollution surrounding it a 3 out of 10 for "awful". Expand
  15. May 27, 2014
    Good graphics. Only this. The rest stinks. Really hated the game. Judge me, I'm not a big fan of Devil May Cry series, only played 'cuz I thought that it could be fun. I was mistaken. Very mistaken.
  16. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    Devil May Cry was a very niche franchise with loyal, die hard fans, DMC3 is critically acclaimed and may probably be the BEST action game ever to grace console and PC so far, so when DMC4 came out we were all expecting much more and because of Capcoms failings to live up to fan expectation we now have this reboot.

Now Im not against rebooting DMC but I think it was handled the wrong
    way, certain things are expected from a DMC game and have been reportedly lacking in the reboot, DMC was never about accessibility, it was challenging and offered layers of depth for those who mastered the complex combat system, having only spent a single play through of both sections of the demo I cant say to much with certainty, but I found the combat lacking in depth, fluidity and style, racking up an SSS rank was a challenge but its so easy now I feel like its lost its meaning.

With almost no chance of seeing a return of the former franchise, all the questions are left unanswered and no ending or closure may ever be given, it's really not hard to understand why fans are upset Capcom. =/
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unfortunately, this game is a prime example of what is wrong with the state of the gaming industry today. I'll make this quick. Here is a list of things that just didn't work:

1) No fighting styles. In DMC3 you had 6 styles, and in DMC4 you had 5 - and in that game you could even switch between them. These styles allowed for a high number of techniques to be used, and added a variety of ways to replay each mission. In DmC, although the designers have attempted to consolidate all the general ideas of the styles into one style - ultimately it is simplified, with dozens of things missed out.

2) 30 frames per second instead of 60. This means that the game looks less smooth, but more importantly, it means it is half as responsive. You have half as much information to work with when anticipating an enemy attack, and the delay between you pressing a button and anything happening on screw is doubled.

3) No lock on. Especially important when trying to single out a particular enemy, if you want to drag them towards you with the whip, or use a particular attack (if they are only susceptible to certain things, you don't want to accidentally target them with a move which doesn't work on them). Also, with no lock on, it means you cannot tell how much health enemies have left, particularly important in DMD mode.

4) Style system doesn't work. In DMC3, the style meter went up rapidly, but then would decrease rapidly. You had to use a variety of moves in order to maintain an SSS rank. Now, the style meter will not drop, unless you get hit. So you can stand around all day, or just use the same move over and over again. 5) Demon dodge is ridiculous. If you time the demon dodge correctly, you are given a style boost which can lead to you very rapidly getting SSS. You may argue that you can get to SSS very easily in DMC3 as well, but as I said above - it would drop very quickly too in that game. Now, if you can get to SSS in DmC using one or two combos, then that means the rest of the fight does not encourage variation or style of any kind.

6) Staying in the air makes you too safe, and it's too easy to stay in the air. There are moves which can allow you to stay in the air indefinitely - which is bad enough. But then couple this with the grapples which can just pull in the next enemy - or use the mid-air launcher with the scythe - and it means that once you get to SSS, you can just jump in the air, and keep doing that all day, it's broken. In addition, the areas you fight in are just too big, so it's very easy to get away, grapple a single enemy and kill them, and repeat.

7) Guns do barley any damage and don't give you enough style. Also, there are only 3 guns, and so many of the gunslinger moves are no longer present. You can't even aim in two directions with ebony and ivory. I really miss Artemis, and there's no gun stinger with the shotgun either? I know they took that out in 4, and I hated that too.

8) As well as the scythe being too useful to drag enemies into the air, the axe is also just way too overpowered in general, giving you too much damage, having very long ranged attacks - which launch enemies! And also providing you with too much style. Also, Aquila is ridiculous, allowing you to disable enemies for long periods of time, and even suck in multiple enemies from all around you, so that they are in a neat bunch for you to hit all at once. That kind of thing should not be available to you at the touch of a button, it's too powerful.

9) Hardly any boss fights - I mean I think I counted only about 5 or 6? Maybe 7? There were lots more than that in DMC3. Also they're more like set pieces than anything, and there's always nonsensical interruptions with cut scenes which bugs me.

10) No taunt. Some might not think it's a big deal, but to me it is a great way to appear stylish, punctuate a combo and show off, farm the DT, and for something to do when enemies are at range.

11) Weird controls. I don't like having to hold down Angel or Demon buttons to get moves to come out. It should be toggle activated. Also, two buttons for dodge? Really? Also, there is absolutely no point in the standard dodge, when the angel and demon ones have abilities and no draw back. 12) DT makes no sense. It isn't a devil trigger, it's some kind of weird anti-gravity thing. Dante does not turn into a demon anymore. I don't understand what it means, and how is he an angel either? 13) Childish script and misunderstanding of the characters. You think Dante is bad? Wait for Vergil. Some of the things out of his mouth are plain ridiculous.

14) Too much platforming and walking around, seriously, sometimes there is 8 minutes of cutscenes and walking / jumping before an enemy spawns in a mission! Replaying some of these missions to get the top SSS ranking is tedious as you have to go through all this empty space.
  19. Mar 31, 2013
    This game deserves a solid 1 for deceiving its fan base. It's being advertised as to find out who Dante was was before becoming the demon hunter. But the actuality, this Dante is a completely new character with no relation to the previous games and his behavior is what you called teen angst at best. The combat is especially sluggish, and the plot made references on how government is corrupt and we need to stand up and to face the demon: the government. Like we haven't heard this before, I can't see how anyone can like this game except some teenagers with overflowing testosterone. Expand
  20. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but
    the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals. Expand
  21. Jan 17, 2013
    Haha yet another disastrous game! I love seeing the polar opposite opinions of critiques and the people who know what there talking about.. anyway who cares its all about the dollars! yee ha! ninjadoll your a disgrace your score belongs in the critic section not the users...
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A **** INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: **** YOU! Expand
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    Gameplay is simpler.
    Gameplay is easier.
    The Story has shameful characters.
    The Graphics are ok, as the music style. But these 2 elements just can't save the rest of the game.
  24. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convoluted and confusing, and camera somehow always sets itself in bad angle ( almost as bad as dmc2 but still worst then dmc4 which i was playing just before new one came out ). Lack of lock on is more problematic then it seamed from the reviews. Most of the time I'm "fighting" with those issues instead the enemies. Combat gets boring quickly with only about handful of combos, especially when spamming best moves does job quickly ( and if you want rank SSS, you just do different attacks for a moment until you get to SSS and then spam till last enemy fells ). Also when enemies are highlighted in yellow they are invincible and a lot of times they attack when they are in that mode just as you falling after jumping, and if you already used dodge in air once or you didn't even see those enemies on the screen, you F'ed, As for where I'm in the game there is one type which you have too pull, but there is no indication which chain you need to use at particular moment. Overall this game is a step down from Alice: Madness Returns ... Surprise! Yes, this game is almost like a carbon copy of Alice sequel, rather then being dmc game. Alice was a good game despite it flaws, but I I don't want dmc to be like that - I want dmc to be over the top - high octane action, with elegant controls and imaginative combat, and some puzzles/exploration cherry on top. And new dmc is not that. I would enjoy it ok if it would be a new franchise even thought it is mediocre at best, but because it's labeled as DMC it deserves all fans backslash it has got. Consoles get 4/10 because of 30fps Expand
  25. Apr 27, 2013
    First of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is much more easy than the past Devil May Cry games, which is extremely disappointing, this game was pretty much made just for the money, however Capcom didn't get as much as they expect, i hope they cancel this and don't waste money anymore with this crap! Expand
  26. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is very disappointing if you have played the previous games. So don't expect any new and improved features. The characters are boring and none of them are very likable, the story isn't very good, and it isn't very fun. The soundtrack was pretty bad in my opinion, as I am not a fan of heavy metal, but I won't count that against the game. The combat is fun for a while but it is far too easy, you can achieve S ranks without much of a problem. The boss battles are one of the greatest aspects about his game because they require you to use tactics to exploit the bosses weakness. It really doesn't stick with you when you turn the game off. I played through the game once and never felt the urge to play again. While it isn't absolute garbage, I have to give it a three out of ten because I have played much better games. Expand
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    It's obvious that the developers had no respect for fans. The game is also buggy as hell and the style system is broken. See YouTube videos to verify both of those claims.
  28. Feb 7, 2014
    I have been a fan of Devil May Cry series and I have played this recently because some people urge me to try this as I was totally ignoring this reboot. I stopped playing after some chapters because it is so boring. I couldn't stop playing DMC 3 and 4 from beginning to end but this one is just **** with stupid dialogues. And those who enjoyed this game are fans of hack-and-slash game, not Devil May Cry itself. Expand
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging the game by comparing it to the earlier installments I have to say is a lackluster experience, not because of the redesign, not because of the somewhat weird political commentary, but because the gameplay is way slower than even DMC2 which was the worst of the classic series in that regard, the lack of a dedicated lock on button and the unnecessary platform segments (for an action game) really makes this one lose points.

Also the music is kind of not quite fitting but different people have different tastes.

Is worth mentioning though SPOILERS: The scene where Vergil decides to force an abortion on Lilith is disgusting and completely unsettling, if the plot was a satire or parody the scene shows bad taste, if it was serious then sorry but is not engaging, there are a lot of emotions and feelings one likes to have when playing videogames, but disturbed by a woman crying for her unborn child being killed is not one of them.

The game overall is below average, rent it or get it used.
  30. Jul 7, 2013
    What a poor game, it lacks of imagination, you know you did something wrong when a game of 2001 looks a 100 times better, I have to give this game a big 0 because you ruined a character, let's take it this way, you had a god (Dante) and turned it into a fly (new Dante).
  31. Feb 6, 2013
    The character development is terrible as a standalone game, let alone when compared to the other games. The combat is just bad for a DMC game, all the styles and combat options are brought under two buttons, angel attack and demon attack. There is absolutely nothing left of the DMC3 and 4 combat engine or gameplay.

If more than 4-5 enemies appear on the screen the game gets very
    noticeable framedrop.

Would get a 5/10 if it was just another hack&slash. But when compared to the DMC franchise it's a 0/10.
  32. Jan 16, 2013
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Where to start with this game, my main problem is that the combat is poorly done with bad mechanics. Many people here have said it better than me before, but its sluggish and repeatative.
    Besides that the story is juvenile and unoriginal, and the abortion scene is both ugly and stupid.... such a scene would be okay if we actually got any
    reason to care, but its just for shock effect.
    Characters are all unlikeable and i find myself hoping they all die by the end.... I Would not recommend this game, and am ashamed of myself for defending and buying it... rent it first to see for yourself or something.. dont pay
  33. Jan 17, 2013
    This is flat, simple game without soul. They kill beatyfull game series. Music bad, gameplay boring(2 buttons to get SSS), bad interface. Maybe, if this game not been DMC(What means Devil may cry), maybe it been not so bad.
  34. Jan 23, 2013
    This game made me die a little inside. Not all of it is bad tough; the soundtrack isn't bad, but not good either, the graphics are good at least, even if the colours look strange, and combat is enjoyable and easy (too easy even, at least for the more experienced gamers). Then comes the bad, which is everything else. I'm a huge fan of the real DMC games, and even I have to admit the story is not their strong point; compared to this, however, they're masterpieces. The plot is stupid, over the top, dumbed down garbage that wouldn't convince a 5 year old. Also, it is a rare game which makes me want to kill the protagonist more than the villains. The real Dante may have been **** and a bit of a jock, but he was genuinely cool and likable, unlike this guy, known henceforth as Johnny McFailville. Maybe it would be rated higher if it wasn't pretending to be DMC, but as it is, it's not worth the money or the effort to complete the game. This is not DMC, and it's a bad game, no matter what every sold out game critic says; mr. Johnny McFailville fails to convince (and even the real Vergil would have a hard time coming out looking good after shooting a pregnant woman). I bought every DMC when it came out, tried this yesterday at a friend's place; wouldn't buy this piece of crap if it was 5 bucks in the bargain bin. Expand
  35. Oct 25, 2013
    Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  36. Jan 15, 2013
    Well, they did it, and I fell for it. Let me start out by saying: THIS IS NOT A BAD GAME Let me finish by saying: THIS IS A BAD DMC GAME It tries so hard to be edgy, I felt as if I should go kick my dog. Not everything needs to be gritty, it's just what hollywood is doing. Superman, Oz, Jack and the **** beanstalk? Everything is just so badass and cool it's retarded. Donte is just a wet dream for and 16 year old, and I am returning my copy ASAP and getting the HD collection Expand
  37. Jan 15, 2013
    The characterization and writing is terrible. The combat, from what I have played so far, is decent. But not quite like the older DMC titles But that's no excuse, because combat is something they draw heavily from its predecessors and previous Ninja Theory titles . Kinda of hard to screw that up doing something when you have a defined template to work with. That being said, everything that DMC 5 tries to do to distinguish itself from the previous DMC titles is where it falls apart. The way they characterize Dante and Vergil makes them extremely unlikable, Kat seems to serve as a plot device more than a character, and the story is incoherent and too self-serious. From what I've seen in the "Official" reviews, let's say GiantBomb for example, it is clear that whoever did that review had not played the previous DMC games. Maybe that's fine for those whose first DMC game is this one. But fans of the franchise tend to have expectations and higher standards, and this particular title does not meet them. So all and all I can I can say that this game is designed to rope in a new audience, and flip off its old one. Expand
  38. Jan 23, 2013
    As much as I wanted to hate this game with a firey passion for the Edward Cullenization of Dante...I just cant. This game is nigh unplayable don't get me wrong. The characters are far from likable, so much so that if, at any part of the game, Dante had decided to kick a puppy, I doubt I would've been surprised. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a 13 year old boy who just learned to swear from his abusive step-father. Basically they took a fun camp game we all love and "modernized" it. The gameplay is it's saving grace. Its tight, fast and a lot of fun, much like the old games. Although the lack of a lockon or targeting system, make parts of this game a nightmare. And thats to say nothing of the level and boss fights which are amazing! However the fact still remains that there are several middle fingers to the fans sprinkled about the game. All in all this game pushes me WAY to far and practically begs me to put it down. If I can't stand the main character, why would I want to play his game? The Problem is not that they changed Dante, It's what they changed him too. Expand
  39. Jan 17, 2013
    The bosses are now dull, character design has went down in quality and the combat system is "broken". For a Triple-A game, you expect quality. Instead, they took the approach of a "modern" story with terrible writing, and expect fans of the series to take it no questions ask. Everyone shouldn't wonder why this game is getting hate, there's a reason for it.
  40. Mar 11, 2013
    esse jogo um horror mecanicas ultrapssadas,dante emo,vergil um nerd idiota

ninja thery e capcom acordem pra vida e façam jkogos de qualidade igual platinum games
  41. Jan 15, 2013
    Oh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. No matter what you're looking for, longtime fan or not, all you will find here is a poorly done story about a generic rebellious, "Occupy Wall Street", da-corporashuns-ar-evul teenage anarchist and his quest to destroy the evil not-Fox-News.

On the visual end, it's passable for a game designed to run on ancient hardware. There are noticeable frame rate drops and the performance is often shaky at best, but the general appearance of the world is interesting to a fault. The actual design of the levels however, is not. It's very straightforward and boring, with little variance in what you actually have to do.

Ultimately, the game will leave long standing fans upset and disappointed, and newcomers confused and disgusted. Pass on it.
  42. Jan 15, 2013
    To begin with, i think it's rediculous that paid-reviewers are giving this game scores in the 90s and above. When i say paid reviewers, that can be taken in two ways, either they are paid as a job to review games professionally, or Capcom has bribed them to just give 8/9 out of 10 as a rule, no matter how much of a train wreck it is. This is one of those games.

To begin with, when
    you're making a reboot of a series, be it a movie, or a video game, or any piece of media, it helps to check what came before, as a guide-post to show you what was worth keeping, and what needed to be fixed. The Batman series did this, Nolan looked at what was good about the old batman movies, and what went wrong, he kept the dark under-tones, the gadgets, the focus on action. But dropped the campy 60s vibe, and the over-the-top villain designs.

DmC has done half of this. They set out to re-model the old Dante, who, as far as i know wasn't really the reason the game series was worse. But fair enough, they re-modeled him, into a foul mouthed brat basically, a far different affair to the camp, humourous, over-the-top Dante we used to have. The new Dante swears every other sentence, and is quite happy to let his brother kill babies and pregnant women, not really hero material, i know, not even anti-hero material. But giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the old one needed the reboot, fine, we'll ignore this, the thing Ninja theory have focused on as 'the sole reason DmC is controvercial', was the dante overhall.

Problem is, Devil May Cry, has only ever been on the very surface of it, a game about visuals, story, and Dante. The core of the game is it's game-play, games are supposed to be played, not watched. Old Devil May Cry was known for it's challenge, it's fluid and perfect combat system. The new DmC has taken absolutely nothing from the old series staple game-play system, it has the rankings of D-C-B-A-S etc. But it no longer has styles, and you are dropped to a bare minimum of weapons. The gameplay is effectively lifted from Ninja Theory's past failed game, heavenly sword. There is no lock on, you're trapped with 3 very boring, standard weapons. And in total, the game has a lifespan that lasts about one sitting. It isn't very difficult, whatsoever, even on it's harder modes.

All in all, the game is as bad as the negative hype built it to be. I was hoping that the game would just get past the basic negative hype of 'Dante looks different, boo!' and have a solid action game underneath with a decent story. Instead, it's built on that negativity, even the core gameplay is missing. Either way, Devil May Cry as a series is done for, if this game sells well, there'll be another, and the old series will be replaced. If this game fails, we won't see another game for many years.
  43. Jan 15, 2013
    Worst gameplay and story than DMC 2. Actually, I´m starting to like DMC 2 more now. I don`t feel an evolution in the franchise, and this is the fifth game of DMC. Less weapons than the previous games, with the same exact combos and they do exactly the same! WHY!? I know that Ninja Theory games don`t have good gameplay, but, come on! This is boring as hell! For being the 5th installment in the franchise, it should be better, but this is like a mediocre PS2 hack n´ slash before the first DMC existed. Also, because of the RED/BLUE enemies, you`re restricted to attack them with specific weapons, downgrading the deep in combat. Also, the lack of lock-on is annoying and sometimes the camera moves wherever it want. Textures pop-ups and bad shadows also make me thing I`m playing a 1990 game. Enviroments look great, not doubt about it, but just the first scenarios, the later ones look boring, like they get tired at the end. And speaking of the end, the ending is one of the worst ending in the history of gaming. Looks like a 12 years old boy wrote it... Dialogue was horrible. New Dante is no more ssstylish. He is just an unlikable annoying douche... Vergil is predictable and Kat is just Kat... Boring gameplay, boring storytelling. This reboot was unnecessary... Collapse
  44. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a really, really bad game. The framerate tanks constantly for no discernible reason, the enemies just stand around waiting for you to kill them, and the bosses have a grand total of about 2 attacks each. If you want a generic bad action game on the same level as Dante's Inferno, this is the game for you! If you want an actual good action game, Grab DMC4, the HD collection, or Bayonetta.
  45. Apr 5, 2013
    From the story that seems to be written by an edgy 12-year-old, to the boring and easy gameplay, this is NOT a true sequel to DMC4, and it not only puts the series to shame, but the gaming industry as a whole.
  46. Jan 15, 2013
    I have the game early since and the way you get the weapons are TERRIBLE. So far out of the three weapons i got 1 of them was from a boss. The weapons arent creative at all, especially the fists one.
  47. Jan 20, 2013
    Namco....what have you done

you don't see people taking Kratos and then making him some scrawny emo kid do you....nooOO

I wonder if it was worth the change though because fans are clearly pissed despite the critics review, but then again no one ever listens to critics these days because they always either get bribed or just make bad decisions...much like Namco did this time
  48. Jan 15, 2013
    man besides the big changes i was definetly hoping a at least playable game, but the wig joke was a greath #$%¨$##$%, man the game sucks in everything, the combos is simple and the hystory is tremendous infantible, well now i put my hopes on metal gear rising, at least raiden looks like a real male android , not like a **** like this hero , shame on capcom to allow they do this to a briliant game like dmc series. Expand
  49. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're
    fighting EVIL DEMON BILL O 'REILLY head, they have to make him yell DO IT LIVE, in case you hadn't caught on to the fact that it was bill o reilly.

The only good part of the story is the interaction between Dante and Vergil, which hilariously is ruined by the ending, because Ninja Theory had to have a sequel hook. Oh, and the final boss fight occurs for literally no reason whatsoever.

The Combat is bad. Slow, plodding, and boring. No Lock-On limits options. Enemies requiring specific weapons limits options. The ability to fly forever as long as you have an enemy to beat on makes the game pathetically easy. The weapons are all either useless or overpowered. Certain enemies are a chore to fight because they only take damage from the weakest weapons and everything has too much health, especially on higher difficulties.

No Replayability. Replayability in previous DMC games and games like Ninja Gaiden come from the grading system. You replay levels to get a high score, or on a harder difficulty because traditionally games like this have NOT had gradient difficulty. In Devil May Cry games before this one, increasing the difficulty made enemies behave differently, sometimes radically so. In DmC it just gives them much more health, and slightly increases the damage they do.

The style system is utterly broken. It's based on damage rather than variety, allowing players to button mash their way into a perfect rank. It never degrades unless hit, a vast departure from previous games. The 'Completition' score, which is based on how many secrets you find, locks when you find everything, so you never have to collect them again on subsequent playthroughs of the level. This allows players to cheese the grading system by collecting everything on one run, and then jetting through the level as quickly as possible on another to get the best time ranking. Perfect scores in other games are testaments to your skill. In DmC they are testaments to having 20 minutes to burn.

No interesting bossfights beyond the final one, which is a watered down version of the encounter at the end of Devil May Cry 3.

In summary, DmC: Devil May Cry, is bad. It has bad writing, bad gameplay, bad grading, bad bosses, and no replayability. Don't buy it. Don't even rent it.
  50. Jan 15, 2013
    I was willing to give it a shot, even with the redesigned Dante, but the game is just terrible. From Sniper Rifle abortions to "Yah-Matt-Too" and the "I've got a bigger !@#$", the writing was absolutely atrocious. Gameplay isn't exactly bad, because you can still do some interesting things, but it's such a step down from DMC3 or 4 that I felt more restricted than Nero felt in 4. The game is also way shorter than previous entries, not counting the unskippable cut-scenes. Please, don't support this game. Expand
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    dmc devil may cry is a shameless reboot to a great franchise,this game has obscene violence and even a sex scene in it. ninja theory claim its a shakespear-esk game but in reality its a pitiful game
  52. Jan 15, 2013
    I only needed to play the demo and look at the cutscenes on youtube to know this game is complete garbage. They even made fun of the old Dante. They should've let it go at DMC 4.
  53. Jan 16, 2013
    The big problem of this game is the name, because comparison with the previous DMC is inevitable. The first mission is good, but just the first mission. The game doesn´t give you something new to the genre. The combat is boring and repetitive and doesn´t give the depth We all feel in DMC 3 and 4. Story is horrendous and some scenes are disgusting (Tameem has a problem with women?). I don´t have problem with changes, but this is just a completely different game with the DMC name on it, just to sell copies. And the worse is all the hate that caused. I can´t believe jornalist can support companies like Ninja Theory. Sorry but this is the first time I can´t recommend a Devil May Cry and it´s sad because it was a great franchise. :( Expand
  54. Jan 17, 2013
    First, they ruined Resident Evil and now they ruined Devil May Cry. Capcom will soon be out of business. It has nothing to do with nostalga, when a game takes 5 steps backwards in terms of game play. This is Devil May Cry for the Call of Duty generation.
  55. Jan 17, 2013
    Bad Framerate , Bad Voiceacting , Bad Writing , Bad Ending , Bad Game mechanics .
    Do not trust Smoshgames or any untrustworthy site (IGN *Cough*) .
    Crapcom , get your **** together.. start making games the good old way and stop giving your franchise to artist wannabes.
  56. Feb 7, 2013
    Everything is this game makes ZERO sense and it has a bad story bad character development to easy gameplay wich makes the game even more boring you have to use red weapons to kill red enemies blue weapons to kill blue enemies and they putted some elements of the other Devil May Cry's without a logic it's a complete and big mess this game is a reboot a very bad one and without logical explanations just EVERYTHING in this game is horrible and if you liked the previous Devil May Cry's games you will rather die than play this junk. Expand
  57. Feb 8, 2013
    it's boring casual game with dull combat it's so slow compared to older ones it made me come back to the devil may cry hd collection in no time... i beat it in 1 day at nephilim, gameplay is copypasted from heavenly sword... i had more fun with gunXsword (wich is an average game)... it's a game below awerage and we know why the majority of sites gave it amazing scores (capcom paid them directly or indirectly using sites as advertising) story is ripped off and lame, music is horrible and gave me migraines, some of the enviroments (they look alike those from bayonetta but bayonetta was better in all the possible ways) are great but that's not enought to give this game credit... after ruinning resident evil with the 6 now they've ruined devil may cry... good job capcom
    ah and no lovk on feature, 2 dodge buttons (cause we have to press a trigger for angelic and demonic wepones)
    do yourself a favor... do not buy it...
  58. Feb 8, 2013
    This game has shallow, unbalanced combat. The main focus of the game is the combat and it has not delivered anywhere near the standard of previous Devil May Cry games. The 30fps does affect the smoothness of the action and it feels as if the game is trying to catch up with the players inputs at times.

The story is badly written and acompanied by awful voice acting. The art style/design
    is an insult to the previous titles and no amount of talking about 'white hair' can cover over the obvious flaws and shallow nature of the combat mechanisms. I also found the cortrol system to be overly clunky and not responsive all of the time. Enemies are badly designed too and are nowhere near the standard of previous titles.

Overall, this game is a complete let down and not worth wasting time and money on.
  59. Jan 23, 2013
    honestly just dont like the feel of the combat. just a personal preference. i dont like the changes to the character but im not crazy angry about it. i skipped devil may cry 4 for similar reasons i didnt like the new character introduced and heard it was a very short game. im not acting like a crazy fan boy of bashing the game just dislike the new direction of less over the top goofy and fun, that the reboot is following. like i said i didnt like four and only rented it to try it out. voted with my dollar wich obviously didnt work. so i figured id write one of these reviews to try to do something different. i dont care if anyone reads this and if u do i dont think ive said anything to try to change anyones mind and im not trying to. i just feel sad for losing a series that was one of my favorites. im sure everyone has had that happen before and can understand where im comeing from. also i dont think this will work. its just something from a long time fan who feels like hes lost one of the series that got him back into games back on the ps2. lol end of review Expand
  60. Jan 16, 2013
    Being cool doesn't mean using *bleep* in every conversation ! this Dante Does not represent the old Dante in any way ( especially his personality ) ! and after seeing the "Wig" joke 1 thing comes to mind " The developers of this game do not respect the original series nor the fans!" .
  61. Jan 15, 2013
    I came into this game with an open mind, I didn't care about the redesign also long as the game play was intact since Devil May Cry has never been about story. The combat is terrible, The enemies are punching bags that barely do anything even on Dante must Die mode. The game constantly drops below 30 frames per second despite the fact that it's predecessors ran at 60. The lack of hard lock-on means you will be constantly attacking enemies you did not want to attack and your move set is much smaller than previous games. The styles meter is now damage based, which means you can spam the same move over and over to reach SSS rank. Finally series staples much as taunting and styles have been removed. Everything they have done to this game is a step back from previous games, every previous Devil May Cry game has added features and built upon previous games, while this game removes features and adds nothing of value.

TLDR: The game is a piece of garbage that's worse than Devil May Cry 2 save yourself $60 and don't buy it.
  62. Jan 15, 2013
    Long story short, worst thing capcom has done ever, simplistic gameplay instead of technical mechanics based on difficulty levels, retarded plot and an unnecesary reboot, one point for graphics,a game that should have never existed.
  63. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 3/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  64. Jan 15, 2013
    I can't believe i paid 60 dollars for this piece of garbage. Playing this game on Dante must die mode was about as hard as DMC 4 on Easy. I play games to be challenged not to hold my hand. I could have forgiven this, only if the story wasn't such a predictable bore.
  65. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm generally not that in touch with video gaming these days, but I like to play the occasional sequel to titles I remember fondly from teenage years, alongside other recommendations. I was intrigued by DmC, which was a reboot of Devil May Cry, a series I enjoyed for it's likable characters, dark world and the sort of combat you love to learn, and learn to love. It being a reboot I assumed it would be like DMC4, a new setting, maybe new characters, but ultimately the same DMC, because it's not a beloved franchise by accident. I'm going by the logic that Expand
  66. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is simply 'Meh'. There is nothing outstanding that will warrant a purchase.

Under normal circumstances I would rate it higher, if the game wasn't pretending to be a Devil May Cry game. I've noticed in official reviews that the game is apparently 'amazing compared to Devil May Cry 1' which I think may be a decade old by this point.

Big game reviewers are trying to claim this
    game is fantastic, gripping and amazing - You can see who gets ad revenue from Capcom if their reviews sing along those lines.

This game is Heavenly Sword with terrible story and writing, nothing written in this game is worth listening to. Fear for your sanity if you are looking forward to this story.

This game is a shell of the former glory that was DMC3 and (the Dante parts) of DMC4.
    Honestly, I think that Ninja Theory only played DMC2 and Nero in DMC4 when they were designing this mess.

In closing, this game is average. I rated it slightly lower because it's trying to be DMC.
    Fanboys, please don't immediately scream hate in my direction, I tried to be as unbiased as possible when playing this, and I'm not particularly happy with the death of one of my favorite franchises.
  67. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is offensively terrible.

Let's go step by step.

First, the story. The story is a juvenile orgy of teenage-level 'anarchism' and events that make me believe the writers may be borderline psychotic. Our 'heroes' shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach, wait until she realizes her unborn child is dead, then kill her. Then later, our heroes say they enjoyed watching the wet chunks splatter on the floor. Other parts are no better. The Slurm Queen from Futurama makes an appearance, except instead of being funny, we are meant to take this seriously. Ninja Theory copied a ridiculous scenario from a cartoon and tried to make a serious world domination plan from it. Pitiful. Later in the game, you fight a 'parody' of Bill O'Reilly. I say parody because it's really not, it's too obvious. Ninja Theory thinks you are stupid however, and has to have the boss yell DO IT LIVE multiple times during the fight, in case you didn't catch their clever bit of completely obvious, dated, obsolete social commentary. If the sniper rifle abortions, plagiarism, and bad social commentary weren't enough, the main antagonist spends most of the game have intercourse with his daughter. Classy.

Next, the gameplay in general. It is bad. The Combat is bad, but I'll get into the technical aspects of that in a moment. The gameplay is constantly broken up with unskippable cutscenes. It is almost as bad as Resident Evil 6, another major offender. Capcom seems to have issues with this and this gmae is no exception. Ninja Theory also included a lot of platforming in their reboot, which makes sense as their environments are the nicest parts of the game. However, they're really just fancy hallways in which you do the same basic platforming over and over again, and quickly become a chore, and seem like filler.

The Combat is significantly dumbed down from DMC, or games like Ninja Gaiden. The style system is utterly broken, allowing players to mash to stardom, enemies do almost no damage when they even bother to attack, and Dante's Devil Trigger allows him to effortlessly obliterate everything while also slowing down time and rapidly regenerating his health. Angel Weapons do almost no damage, and while in other games using them would boost your score, in DmC score is based on damage, so they are pointless. Or they would be, if not for the fact some enemies ONLY TAKE DAMAGE FROM THEM. This becomes a chore as enemies are walking meatballs, able to absorb ridiculous amounts of damage, especially on higher difficulties. The Boss battles include 4 giant floating enemies that clumsily attack Dante and are more akin to platforming challenges, and two weaker versions of bosses from DMC3. Original!

The game fails technically other than the environments and facial mocap. Voice acting is atrocious, frame rate drops constantly, struggling to meet the already barely acceptable 30fps. Characters move like stiff boards except for the face, which becomes unsettling to look at.

Replayability is gone. Gradient difficulty rather than the more involved difficulties from previous games robs this game of any reason to be replayed. Furthermore, the game is short. About 6 hours, even with the unskippable cutscenes and platforming padding.

If you have not played every game in the 'stylish action' genre made in the past decade, play any number of those rather than DmC. And if you have, well, you standards should be too high for this anyway. Avoid.
  68. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I go into the game, remember this took close to five years to be developed with an already established game engine.

Story: What can I say, it really just sounds like someone has issues with life. Dante is some guy living in a trailer who is brought in to help fight against the demons who secretly rule the world using mind controlling soft drinks. Besides the immature dialogue and the see through plot, the characters themselves have no redeeming points. Dante harasses the humans he's trying to protect and be's a jerk to everyone except the girl he likes. Vergil kills a child in the womb and allows the mother a moment to realise her child is dead before he kills her as well and laughs about it.
    These two are brothers and while the relationship is established during the game, it just feels forced and when they inevitably fight because of opposing opinions (Vergil offended Dante's girl) there's no feeling to it. Overall the story has stolen many ideas and concepts from other movies and games that executed them better.

The Gameplay is what the DMC franchise is known for. The lack of a lock on button means you'll be flailing around as the jittery camera spins during fights. The combos aren't as impressive as you think, in the old series tying your combos together helped gain a better score and allowed you easier means to beat your enemies. In this game, you can get a good score by either finding poorly hidden secrets (big red shiny door that glows) or by using a move with the axe that allows an instant SSS (highest style score). The bosses aren't challenging even on the highest difficulties. The poison fight was the most hilarious. When the boss does it's sweep attack, you can parry it which allows you to drag it down *cut scene* allowing you ten seconds to pummel it. Fair enough...except your attacks can finish it off within that ten seconds and then *cut scene*. Every boss is like this, one you find their weakness they are easily demolished. Worse yet, if you don't kill them in that ten seconds they rise and do the exact same attack again without fail allowing you over and over again if need be to pummel them without fear of being hit.
    Switching the weapons really feels pointless for starters when you gain an axe near the start of the game which does incredibly damage to everything. But you have to hold triggers down and tap the d-pad until you find the weapon you want and by then your rythem will be messed up. Oh yeah, style metres don't drop unless your hit, which would be a problem if the enemies attacked you. I waited fifteen seconds at one stage for one of them to attack me! Then when they attack they strike a pose, wait three seconds while their weapons flashes brightly signalling an attack, your given the option of choosing to use two evade buttons (they do the same thing) or jump out the way. Still, despite the combat, you'll be holding out for these moments as the rest of the seven hour game is filled with plat forming and jumping. Wouldn't mind this if the game wasn't a Hack 'n' Slash proclaimed to be the best of it's genre with great combat.
    The devil trigger feels to me like a slap in the face to the old fans. I didn't get involved in all the wars between the two fanbases, but why does a 'Devil' trigger make him get white hair and a Red coat? I thought that was the point of a reboot was to bring life into a franchise and to reinvigorate it, so they give you a button that makes the new Dante look like old Dante (despite him apparently being uncool, a loser, unfashionable)?
    He is half angel, half demon...why not just call it his 'Trigger' / 'Release' / 'Ascension' mode or something? Devil trigger implies he turns into a demon...

Sound and Audio is a meh. Personally I'm not into recorded human farts (I wish I was joking here) and little pops that represent gunfire. The sounds are lackluster but it's a damn sight better than the dialogue which consists of "F**K YOU!" - "YOU WH**E". I honestly wouldn't mind if this wasn't forced upon you and felt like it suited the game and the atmosphere but it just sounds juvenile.

Re-playability is really up to the user. Me? I won't be touching it again and will be dropping it off at my nearest game store. The secrets aren't really that good, the DLC just adds extra costumes (why they included a DMC 3 Dante outfit when they already have a Dante Trigger I don't know?) a game mode that all the others DMC games except the first had for free and a Vergil's downfall which is sort of a spoiler if you haven't already seen the entire game on Youtube or paid much attention to the games story (which I can't really condemn you for)

Overall I could have gone alot more into detail on this game on just how BAD it is. For years we've had journalists saying this is the best game ever, but this is just pathetic. Five years and this is it?. It may have the name Devil May Cry but it will never have it's light!
  69. Jan 15, 2013
    First of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness and powerful feel to them for the first half of the game that disappears later on as enemies start demanding certain types used. This destroys any semblance of flow the game may have had. This coupled with a meaningless combo system (since you can get SSS without trying) leaves everything feeling generally hollow.

The environment has much the same issue. At first it's an interesting romp through many varied and somewhat interesting zones, and while the scenery looks nice, it does nothing save throw you into the occasional, overly simplistic platforming puzzle. When I said it's like the combat, well, I meant that it gets worse as time goes on. The scenery just becomes generic and boring later on, as if the devs just gave up and said **** it".

The story is where the game truly dims. Everyone knows it at this point: the story is childish, cliched, and seemingly written by a 12 year old with a chip no their shoulder. Pretty much every character has the inability to act their age, and the story line itself is a complete bore and would still be a bore even if the characters acted with a sliver of maturity. As a Devil May Cry game, this should be buried and forgotten. As a generic action game, this should be played with the volume off and all cut scenes skipped. It's certainly not worth it's full price, and it sickens me that there are so many high "official" reviews which show me nothing more than either A. Reviewers have lost all credibility and ability to rate fairly. or B. Bribery is alive and well.

Don't buy this game, if you haven't played earlier Devil May Cry games, I can at least say 4 is worth it. If you have played earlier Devil May Cry games, play them again, because this one isn't one.
  70. Jan 15, 2013
    While many expected this game to be at least a redeeming action if not a valid DMC heir, it turned out to be atrocious at all fronts. Late game restricts you to the usage of specific weapon for coloured demons, platforming is tedious and uninspired and plot is awfully bad. Inexcusably bad writing. It's like developers only had a brief look at what DMC3 is and thought they got everything right while they clearly have not. Expand
  71. Jan 15, 2013
    The game is a complete train wreak. Absolute garbage from beginning to end. The characters are idiotic, the writing is cheesy, the gameplay is slow and boring, and the framerate is locked at 30 fps. I had more fun unclogging my toilet than playing this game.
  72. Jan 15, 2013
    This is one of those games that went from having a deep, complex, and challenging battle system to a game where you press X to win. There is like 1 or 2 combos that you'll use throughout the game and not even come close to needing any of the others. Not to mention the terrible voice acting, asinine plot, and watered down art design to cater to all the new gen console babies. I returned this game day one, I had to resort to lying about how the game with scratched and wouldn't play. Expand
  73. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm disappointed in the characterization of the characters in this reboot, mostly with Dante's brother Vergil, but that isn't a huge issue. What IS a problem is the focus on platforming and cutscenes with little emphasis on the actual combat. When there is combat, its slow and floaty. Compare it to the previous games and you'll notice huge pauses between every swing and a massive reduction in the number of maneuvers possible. I hope they try to raise the bar with the combat in the inevitable sequel. Its certainly BETTER than what was in the demo, but thats not saying much. Its also better than NT's previous titles by a large margin so good on them. Heck I'd say its even better than God of War. But it absolutely does NOT deserve the Devil May Cry name. Those are massive boots to fill. MASSIVE. DMC started the 3D action genre in 2001. Its the only reason there was a market for **** games like Heavenly Sword. If you want to be the next DMC developer, you have to focus on the combat. Do whatever you want with the character design and story - I really don't care at the end of the day so long as the combat is world-class like previous titles. What we got instead was a generic light-heavy system that has plagued the genre for years due to mediocre game design and incompetent game developers. Expand
  74. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Couple that with the fact that if you hid the name of the game and characters from me, I Expand
  75. Jan 15, 2013
    The devil may cry franchise has always been one of my favourite franchises ive grown up playing devil may cry but this game has just killed everything that made devil may cry a good game.first of all the new dante is a angsty teenage douche that isnt likable in any way, the combat is now less fluid and too easy and now requires you to use certain weapons to kill certain enemies which has never happened in any devil may cry game because you could beat anyone with anything, also this game just gives out s rank combo for pulling off just a basic combo. the story is awful especially the ending also the character writing is awful the whole game is filled with curses for no reason other then trying to feel edgy and appeal to teenagers. theres a part in the game where a white wig lands on dantes head and he throws it off and says not in a million years that felt like a kick in the nuts to anyone that was a fan to the old games.
    so once again capcom sh*ts on their fans of the older games and once again ninja theory ruins another franchise.
  76. Jan 16, 2013
    An absolutely dreadful game. Gameplay is dumbed down from its predecessors, soundtrack consists of dubstep (which is inherently bad), graphics are a mixed bag (great environments, but awful character models), and the story is abysmal, featuring unskippable cutscenes, awful dialogue **** YOU!", "and I got a bigger dick", "The world is now your **** as am I"), and a setting straight out of deviantart. If you like dark, gritty games and easy accessible gameplay, you're a ****ing retard and you shouldn't be playing games. Expand
  77. Jan 17, 2013
    Most of what could be said about DmC already has... But I shall do it again.

Combat is totally basic, even a child can play it and go carnage, but does a child actually knows anything bout gameplay? The lack of Lock On is terrible, basicly you'll hit what the game WANTS you to hit, not what you do, the moves are also few, they might look like a lot, yet it might be even less than Nero
    had back at DMC4' time. Enemies are few, you'll face the chainsaw dudes and the flying babies to everywhere, and the other enemies are pretty much derived versions of them. The bosses here are pathetic, they're slow and predictable, but not in the usual way, you just know what they gonna do before they actually do it, a terrible thing for an action game. Guns are useless, just to say, the sole reason you can't go single move spam with whatever weapon is that some enemies requires a certain weapon to be defeated... A totally lame thing for an action game.

So far the game gave me no reason to thing it is good, I saw a total noob playing and in less than 15 minutes he totally owned the three first missions without a single retry, he just got there and destroyed everything without problem...

And now for the story... Just think about a hollywood movie, there' DmC for you, there is NOTHING original there, everything has been done before and will be done again, the cutscenes are just useless, they don't give you important information, or awesome moments, it is just a sequence, usually long and pointless, you know what will happen when you see it, 'cause it has been used many many times already... Shakespearean story? Shakespeare would laugh at it...

Want to play it? You'll waste your time, get Anarchy Reins or even better, wait for Metal Gear Rising.
  78. Jan 16, 2013
    This game was a complete trainwreck since the beginning... I just can't sum up all the things DmC does wrong: slow and laggy gameplay, too easy enemies and bosses, unattractive character design, boring platforming, such an unoriginal story with a lame ending,and plot filled with disgusting and even offensive stuff... It just left a bad aftertaste; I really needed to replay DMC3 to get rid of the sensation of failure this game left in me...
    NT and Capcom hyped this game too much, and in the end it didn't deliver... DmC is a mediocre hack n' slash, and doesn't deserve the title of DevilMayCry.
  79. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll be short: Gameplay is a big step down from DMC 3/4, its been casualised so anyone can achieve SSS with a couple of combos it actually is more akin to God of War than Devil May Cry. Platforming is boring and way too much, bosses are the whole game in general are super easy, the story is a rip-off of "They Live" and in one cutscene a major character shoots a pregnant woman. Music is horrible dubstep but if you like that kind of thing then good for you. The scenarios are cool and very creative but thats about the only thing good in this game. As a stand alone game I would give it a 6/10 but as a Devil May Cry game is a gigantic step back. Expand
  80. Jan 20, 2013
    This game is bad, the combat can be fun but the enemies are just to easy and the difficult mode are forced and don't feel natural, the history is to plain and childish ("we will conquer the world trow debts" ). And the characters, they really **** this up, vergil now use guns and have 0 honor, is motives are like any other run of the mill antagonist , dante is a **** punk - emo, that in the first 20 min u only want to kill him and his new partner is so weak that u cant just buy the rest of the history. Congrats capcom you kill another great game you **** resident evil and now you are coming for Devil May Cry Expand
  81. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely terrible and pointless. From tasteless, childishly amateur writing, terrible graphics and ocean of bugs and glitches to a completely bland and casual gameplay that, when it actually works properly, is only targeted at replicating the visual feats of the previous games which you had to actually master back in the day. A vanity project devoid of any style, substance or passion sown together for a quick buck riding on a big name. At this point unless we see a DMC5 developed by Capcom itself in few years, it's safe to say that DMC is dead and this abomination is what finished it off with a shotgun to a head. Expand
  82. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is a very, very weak game, not even counting the other games in the series. I will give it the credit where it is due, first. The concept of the combat is okay. It's probably the most flexible of any hack n' slash I have ever played. But later enemy encounters throw this out the window by requiring specific tactics, which would be okay is a less frantic game but just kills the pacing here. It is far from difficult to get SSS Style rankings consistently, and the second weapon you get, the Arbiter axe, makes this trivial. Limbo is also a really cool concept, and really fun to look at and maneuver through with Dante's new tools, but also feels a bit confined at times, and in some places it's easy to fall off a platform while fighting. With that out of the way, now for the bad news. The story feels like it was immaturely written, including one scene where a woman, demon or not, I don't care, got a rifle abortion, then shot fatally by Vergil. Just... what the hell? That's disgusting. Other highlights include ham-fisted political commentary and the word **** well over a hundred times with little context or meaning. The issue isn't the word itself here. Finally, the horrid, horrid abuse Kat suffered in her backstory just to make her edgy is just misogynistic and uncalled for. Dante, the main character, is likable when bonding with his teammates, but outside of that he feels like a rude little punk, to the point where even Mundus, the local main antagonist, comes across as more likable than him. Dante even insults Mundus about the after-mentioned Rifle-Abortion when Mundus asks why. The dialogue, as mentioned at the overuse of the word **** without context, is very awful. Tameem promised Shakespearean writing, but we got gems like "Me, a god, versus you, a piece of **** and "Dante? The son of Sparda, and Eva THE WHOOOOORE!" The music is nice and varied, but at the same time feels inappropriate to the action onscreen and more than a little irritating, It has no sense of rhythm, and just feels annoying. It may be good independent of the game, but it feels like trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Finally, on the least important but still necessary part of the game: The technical specs and graphics. On both the PS3 and 360 versions, the game runs at Thirty Frames per second, whereas on PC it runs at sixty. This can negatively impact your ability to fight since the fewer frames can lower your reaction time a little. The character designs range from the awesomeness of Vergil's trenchcoat, to the okayishness of Dante's model, to the awful, plastic look of Lilith's model. Again, Limbo looks nice, and probably steals the show here. The PS3 version does have some graphical and technical issues, but it shouldn't be a problem if you're here looking for the XBOX 360 Reviews.

All in all, this was disappointing, and people who just listen to the big-name critics may want to read the more thoroughly written user reviews as well before deciding on buying this game. If you absolutely HAVE to have it, go for the PC version, but I feel this game isn't worth the current $60 price tag.

This has been a review by AzureSoul. Have a nice day.
  83. Jan 16, 2013
    The combat does not feel fluid to say the very least of one of the commonly praised aspects of the newest iteration of Capcom's Devil may Cry. This is no doubt in part due to the design decision of going from the series standard of 60 frames-per-second down to barely 30 frames-per-second. Also there is an incredible lack of combat when comparing previous titles in the series with this one, this re-imagining opts for platforming instead. Interestingly enough as well is that the platforming is one of the few things I'll admit was decent about the game but it was more the unique level design and beauty of the limbo-based environments rather than the actual platforming. The story feels nonsensical and not in the zany way of many high-octane beat em' ups but rather in a Branded and They Live mixed sort of way with a good bit of the OWS(Occupy Wall Street) movement thrown in a giant pot and left to simmer in the sun for a month straight. In terms of other design decisions, the music had effort put into it and does fit the tone the game decided to run with. Overall this does feel like another studio's attempt at recreating the Devil May Cry magic but without great success, I would only recommend this game for renting from a RedBox or Blockbuster or the equivalent thereof. Expand
  84. Jan 17, 2013
    Everything as been said about this joke of a game. Yeah there a few good artistic-wise but it doesn't make up for the rest. Avoid it unless you get it for 10$.
  85. Jan 19, 2013
    A friend sent this game to me after telling me bad it was, just to see for myself, and wow just wow, what was capcom thinking allowing Ninja theory to develop this game, they completely ruined the main character and his personality and made him in to some edgy little teenager designed to appeal to a more or less homosexual demographic and people who have not played nor care about the original Devil may cry. This game was no devil may cry, it may have had the same name but it was so far from the original Dante and gameplay. I really do hope that if capcom decide to make a real devil may cry, they give it to developers who actually liked the original series, it was very clear Ninja Theory absolutely hated Devil may cry and being the self righteous **** they are decided to say **** YOU to the fans and create the horrible piece of **** known as dmc 5 instead. Poor narrative, poor gameplay, poor everything. Video games need to be held to a higher standard, not this piss poor excuse for a game. DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME I REPEAT DO NOT BUY OR PLAY THIS GAME!!! And here is hoping for a real DMC in the future! Expand
  86. Jan 20, 2013
    This is my second review. First I wrote right after i stop playing so now i wanna share what i think. First of all Dante was a half human and in this game his no longer partly human, the scene when vergil shoots lilith is ofending! And the wig joke is a middle finger to all the fans who love and care for dmc games. The graphics is worst than dmc 4, The colour saturation is bad.. And the good reviews from "proffesional critics" are the biggest mistery to my since the birth of life.. Proffesional critics call me maybe hater or fanboy but im not a hater.. in fact I love the series in this game is simple a mix of ninja gaiden 3 and Heavenly Sword with DMC sticker..and its a bad mix.. I hope that someday we get a proper devil may cry 5.. Its not completely bad game but its VERY bad dmc game. For the first time my dissapoint was so big that its forced me to get a metacritic account and share my sandess and anger.. RIP Dante Expand
  87. Jan 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story behind this game's development shows that we are facing something more important than a game. There are also things like ethics, good taste, education and professionality involved: none of them were used.
    For those familiar with the previous Devil May Cry games, this is a step back: a million-steps back.

-Gameplay- You have to face a completely redisegned layout, wich is both confusional and unpractical. There is no lock-on button. 2 buttons were wasted for the dodging. Some enemies may be attacked only by certain weapons. The styles of DMC 3 and 4 are gone (expecially gone is the "Royal Guard" moveset). The fights are too much and unfunny, giving the stages a sense of "being dragged too long". Most of the enemies doesn't have an aerial parry/dodge/block: so, at soon as you launch them in the air, they became completely helpless. No challange. -Boss fights- There are only 6 in the whole game, against the 13 of DMC1, the 14 of DMC3 and the 15 of DMC 4. All the bosses stand still with zero mobility. They usually remain dizzy for a long time after a few hits. Not challanging. They also talk for the entire fight: most of what they say is annoying or plain unintresting.

-Enemy design-
    The enemy design is unispired. Most of the "demons" just seem like robots came out of Enslaved (previous NT game). They use to be helpless as soon as launched mid-air. Every single one use to charge before hitting, giving plenty of time for the player countermove and erasing every difficulty or sense of danger. The Bosses are particularly ugly, resembling alien-monsters instead of majestic creatures as seen in previous DMC games.

-Graphics-
    Some landscapes are nicely done. Most of them are too much saturated and became annoying to the eye. The stages are most of the time messed up and they lack details. Indoor the rooms are always empty and there aren't intresting architecture in the game. The characters modelling is mediocre, with a special note for Mundus (particularly bad) and Lilith (her model is @ PS2 levels).

-Sound-
    The guns and swords sounds are weak and they make you feel like you are powerless. The soundtrack is decent but the lack of a recurring "fight theme" isn't good. -Story-
    The story is basically an emotionless and epicless version of DMC 3 mixed with the Mundus fight (DMC1). After completing the game one cannot ask himself what this reboot was needed for: the same story were told, and much better, in DMC 1 and DMC 3.
    The story is full of plotholes. -Characters-
    Dante: he is simply annoying. he's the less likeable characters of all, constantly calling the demons "pieces of **** "****-eaters", "fat-asses" and so on. The worste of him is during the Boss fight: before the battle is over you just want to mute the tv or throw the pad. Mundus: plain horrible. The former Mundus (DMC1) was basically a divinity, he was proud and noble, he did not swear and he considered the humans "useless beings". The new Mundus is some kind of wierdo wich likes to have sex with one of the ugliest woman in the universe (Lilith) and constantly talking about ripping out someone's heart. His motives are now inconsistent, considering the Sparda is just "guilty" of falling in love with an angel.

Lilith: horrible, rude, nasty, ugly. She is everything a character (good or evil) should NOT be. Kat: a decent character, she is basically the counterpart of Lady, but without badassery. Vergil: total disappointment. He is incredibly weak. He escapes with no reasons and is no more a cold, noble, character. He is not as bad as Dante, but as soon as you start thinking "oh well, at least he is classy" he throws a "i have a bigger dick" joke. The order: they basically don't exist. You see the base, 3 guys in the background and that's it. -The city as a danger-
    The city "wich want to kill you" is just a bunch of pre-scripted sequences. You can basically sit down while the walls are closing to crash you: they will simply stop. When you fall, you simply reappear back: no damage, no fights, no nothing. -Platforming-
    Basically you have to pull some platforms and jump on it. In some of the stages it is too much and became annoying. You get bored of it pretty soon.

-Dialogues-
    The lowest dialogues in gaming history. lot of unneeded swearing. enemyes taling about pucking on your face, pissing in your neck and ****ting on your carcass. Annoying, rude, horrible. Anyone should feel offended to be trated like this. All in all, this game rapresents the worst of the actual society. It is a poor manifestation of a japanese producer trying too hard to be western.
    It is the product of a desrespectful team (NT) wich trolled the entire fanbase (even during some scenes of the game).
    This is the destruction of quality .
    The triumph of desrespect.
    I bought the game faithfully and i regret it. Not worth 60 $: if you have taste and dignity, is not worth 1 cent.
  88. Jan 22, 2013
    Ok, before you accuse me of hating this game just because of Dante's hair, there are a LOT more reasons as to why this game is an awful Devil May Cry game. Follow the link to see for yourself: http://pastebin.com/y3PKiumh
  89. Jan 30, 2013
    Terrible, just terrible. His one-liners are so idiotic and it makes you feel that he tries to hard. There's too much swearing to actually add to the non-existent humour and as for the characters, oh boy. Vergil is a douche bag that talks too high and mighty for himself, i understand that Vergil is very smart and all but the way they portray him, first of all he's ugly second of all get a better voice actor, not some dude that sounds like he's trying too hard to sound smart. Dante is just horrible throughout the whole game that it's not even funny. For a demon king Mundus is very human like and just has a not right feel to it. Who the **** is Kat? And all in all, Dmc is terrible, it has nice graphics and a killer soundtrack but it's terrible. Devil May Cry 3 was the best Devil may cry game ever created, bring it back. That is all. Expand
  90. Feb 19, 2013
    Bad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  91. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? How about with the complaint that Ninja Theory and Capcom are brushing aside? This is the new entry in a decade long franchise, but has been taken in a vastly new direction - NT and Capcom would have you believe this excuses them for all the ridiculous decisions they've made. Dubbed "Donte" by skeptics, the main character has undergone rather a bizarre transformation. Where before we controlled a light-hearted half-human, half-demon devil slayer with a fondness for pizza, crazy action and adventure, now we're playing as a half-demon, half-angel potty mouth teenager. Is he a badly designed character? A well designed character? That is by and large, a matter of opinion, and I do not find him to my tastes. He is written poorly and his goals are nonsensical, as is his motivation - which seems to primarily exist in the form of a throw-away female who has questionable relationships with squirrels.

Unfortunately, Tony Redgrave isn't the only one hit by the re-design hammer. His brother, Vergil - now dubbed as Vorgil or Vergul or the like, was once a power hungry half-demon, driven to this by his failure to protect his beloved mother. Now? He's rather like Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta. Only poorly acted, with with a fixation for acting like "Anonymous". Once he hated human firearms, but in DmC, the katana wielder uses a military grade rifle to shoot a pregnant demon hostage in the womb - and after giving her enough time to realise that he's just given her a rather swift abortion, pops her in the head. His brother later brags about this to the demonic 'father' figure.

That leads us nicely into the plot of DmC. There's not really much to say - seen the movie, They Live? It's more or less that. Mundus is controlling humans and blue isn't very happy about that, and he requires the help of his brother red to assist him. What follows is 5-6 hours of running about, swearing like demented teenagers and predictable plot-threads with no semblance of a character arc. Indeed, rather than an arc, the characters simply transition from one perspective to the other, in a completely illogical manner. But none of that is really important. Story, writing, characters, dialogue - inconsequential in a Devil May Cry game for the most part, excessive fluff that only adds to the package deal. So what about the core? What about the gameplay? Oh boy...
    I could complain about how I don't enjoy the gameplay in DmC, but that's all opinion and I'm sure you'd just disagree with me - I'll start off with some hard facts:
    DmC runs at half the framerate of DMC3 and DMC4
    DmC has 13 less moves than DMC3, and that's being generous. DmC has 8 weapons. DMC3 had 10. This is again being generous as many of the weapons in DmC act more like modifiers than actual new movesets.
    DmC has no styles, you could argue that the weapons have been rolled in with the styles. DMC3 had six styles. Some enemies in DmC are (seemingly) immune to certain weapons, forcing you to play in a specific way, whereas in prior games, you had more freedom.
    At the same time, many enemies in DmC can simply be stunlocked with a single attack with no hope of breaking free. There are many battles in the game that can be won by using one hand, one attack, and not even looking at the screen because there's (very poorly implemented) auto-aim and no lock-on.
    Those are facts that cannot be denied, but on the subject of opinion? I find the game to be a boring button masher with no depth, there's no room for creativity and I didn't die a single time during my time spent playing (up to and including Son of Sparda) In every way, shape and form, this is a downgrade from previous games in the series. Taking a different path doesn't excuse it for being inferior to prior games in every area. What about the visual presentation? This is perhaps the game's strongest point. When I say presentation, I don't mean performance - DMC4 ran at a solid 60FPS and rarely seemed to dip below that, even in the most elaborate and grand of battles. DmC runs at 30FPS max, and often dips as low as 15 if not lower, seeming to average out at around 20-25. I didn't experience any hard-crashes, but did run into a number of stupid glitches that seem like they shouldn't exist in a game with this high a budget.
    Visually, the game has some nice touches.

The way that Limbo shifts about is a pleasant effect, if not mind-blowing, and whilst the characters designs are not to my tastes, at least some of the assets are of high quality. It's just a shame that you can't say the same about the gameplay, the writing, the story and so on. The character of Donte simply isn't one I wanted to root for, he had no redeeming features and was thoroughly unlikable.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. Buy the DMC HD collection if you want some proper Devil May Cry. Already beat it? Try Anarchy Reigns, or Bayonetta, or Vanquish, or Metal Gear Rising.
  92. Jan 15, 2013
    Gameplay is atrocious compared to DMC 3 and 4. Its is a huge step backwards. Jump cancelling is put in the game just because the previous 2 games had it. In this game jump cancelling is lame. You can hit the skybox on the maps with jump cancelling and that devil bringer rip off. You can keep a enemy in the air indefinitely and be safe from everything else. While previous DMC games it was a test of skill on how long you can stay in the air, this game hand feeds you air time.

The reason for this is because NT/Capcom wanted casuals to feel pro or something while playing a DMC game. So they watch videos of pro players for DMC3/4 and they are in the air most of the time and they just put the two together. They just made it so its super easy to stay in the air. They totally missed the point of DMC's high level gameplay, which was to make your enemies look bad and you look stylish. Air time is just a byproduct. So what we end up with is a clunky combat system with awkward controls. Donte pauses for a brief moment after every attack which contributes to making the gameplay clunky. There's too much platforming in this game. Pointless platforming. They make too much of a deal out of the shifting environment shtick. While previous DMC games never had strong stories, they were still enjoyable games and had enjoyable characters. DmC however is just screams tryhard and edgy. All that cussing is uncalled for.
  93. Jan 16, 2013
    Well, just spent about two days playing this game, and I'm done. If this didn't have the name of a famous franchise no one would care, it'd be forgotten in weeks. The story feels like it was written by a teenager, the dialogue literally devolves into a comparison of penis size at one point. Beyond the story, the game play is extremely sub par. The game doesn't run at a consistent frame rate, which felt slow to begin with. Seems really off putting in a game that should have a focus on combat. Probably the most insulting part is the difficulty. Actually calling it difficulty is laughable. This game goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to being the most casual, easy, boring, button-mashing trash ever. The "hard" difficulty "Nephilim" is easier than the easiest difficulty in DMC3. It's easier than easy mode in **** God of War 3. "Son of Sparda" it advertises as something that will require skill! It doesn't require anything except the ability to recognize when one of the monsters is doing their extremely telegraphed (so telegraphed in fact that they LIGHT UP IN BRIGHT NEON LIGHTS when they are about to do it) attacks. Expect about 5 seconds to react to most enemies. Not even kidding, time it. One of the challenges I won by doing 2 attacks for 30 seconds. One, I would hold O to uppercut, and two, I would press O again to do a downward slash and then I repeated that until everything in the room was dead. It's not like that's even an isolated incident. Some moves provide so much invincibility that there's no reason to stop spamming, ever.

Long story short, I am beyond disappointed. I can't believe I ignored everything I heard about this game and gave it the benefit of the doubt. I thought good game play would make up for any other shortcomings it had and it never delivers. Don't waste you money on this. Rent it if you must sate your curiosity.
  94. Jan 20, 2013

95. Jan 15, 2013
    It's almost as bad as predicted. The combat can be fun, however everything else is like a middle finger to the fans of the series with bad writing(even for Devil May Cry), awful story, uninteresting characters, and little challenge.
  96. DMP
    Jan 15, 2013
    The game isn't completely horrible as some make it out to be. But if you're the type for hack-'n'-slash, especially a fan of the Devil May Cry series, you're in for some real disappointment. I am a long term fan of DMC, starting off from the first playing up until 4. Now, the Devil May Cry series isn't supposed to be known for it's story, but after the developers Ninja Theory made some comments about their DmC story rivaling literature and cinema (paraphrased) of today, you might want to consider it a selling point. And after you play this game, you will realize that that selling point is in the other direction. The story is horrible, and progresses its self through cutscenes after cutscenes of nonsense. It doesn't stop there; Dante constantly talks and deliver the worst one-liners in the series in this game that make you want to cringe.

The combat is way dumbed down, with the removal of lock-on and taunt from previous game in the series, leaves you with simple button-mashing on poorly developed enemies.

The target audience for Capcom and NT with this game are newcomers: younger generation of gamers and casual video game players that never had a DMC experience before. They may get those people, but Capcom and NT have thrown a few middle-fingers to existing fans throughout its development and handled poor user feedback and criticism shamefully. It'll be a shame if there is a sequel in this reboot and not in the classic DMC series.

I don't mind the music change personally, but it does get dull after a while listening to the same dubstep music over and over.

This game still has merits. I think it rightfully deserves a 4 for still being playable, just extremely and exhausting mediocre for a pedantic experience.
  97. Jan 15, 2013
    For each good aspect i find like the well implemented platforming, the varying combos, and interesting boss fights, I find another bad flaw to match it. The game is a hack and slash and plays like platformer. The varying combos become useless towards the end of the game. Interesting and unique boss fights like bob barbas are offset by more story driven ones that dumb down what could've been very difficult fights; Vergil, Mundus, and the slurm slug. To place a cherry on the cake, the new Dante seems to be a prequel to what we've seen in the earlier games. His catch phrases seem less funny and more aggressive; Like a child trying to hurt someones feelings at the playground. Expand
  98. Jan 15, 2013
    Combat is slow, limited and has next to no variety i.e enemies that can only be killed by one weapon, no styles, angel/demon stance ripped straight from heavenly sword, another game by NT. Story is a rip-off of they live. Character development, design and dialogue are outright outrageous and disgusting, not to mention it insults the fans of the franchise. There's even a scene in which one of the protagonist's allies shoots an unborn child and then kills the mother after she realizes what happened, while in the previous games he despised guns. The only redeeming points about this game are the visuals. Expand
  99. Jan 15, 2013
    DISCLAIMER: As with all reviews, they should be taken with a grain of salt as they are opinions and like opinions they differ considerably from person to person.

Review:
    DmC: Devil May Cry is an decent game within it's own merits but falls short in many other area for one the combat is accessible enough for anyone of any level of gaming to pick up this game and almost immediately began
    to enjoy it. The combat is made to be as gratifying as possible for players, making the player feel accomplished with it's combo system. The combat is done really well, however my major complaints are simply that there isn't enough of it nor is it challenging enough and nowhere near as exciting as the games before it in the series. The game tries it's best to offer variety in its combat with new enemies, new weapons, and new abilities but the game limits you in how you approach enemies, said enemies require said weapon in order to be defeated. That kills the fun that DMC is known for, being "stylish" gone with the days of multiple styles, multiple move sets/weapons, almost every fight can be approached how the player wanted. In DmC it's approached depends solely on how the developer's want you to. Lack of player creativity in this department.

Moving on to the stage design. The stage design is brilliant; Ninja Theory knocked out this one out of the park, the platforming is amazing and Ninja Theory should really consider making a platforming based game; they've proven themselves well in this area. Unfortunately in DmC there is simply way too much of it, and not enough combat. The game feels slowed down and tedious half way through the game due to the over abundance of floating platforms the player must jump on/interact with. It really conflicts with what they were trying to do (a fast paced action game).

In regard to the story it feels like it's trying to be too many things at once, it wants to be hardcore, or it wants to be comedic or it wants to be shocking or it wants to be suspenseful. It just doesn't know, it's trying it's best to excel at all areas but ends up falling short all together and because of this the story (although told in a unique way) becomes uninteresting, protagonist has no character other than trying to appeal to a younger demographic with swears and rude gestures and the like; other characters in the story have little to no personality, become difficult for player to relate to. And a central plot which can be easily determined from the first two missions.

SUMMARY
    +Good combat! +Really good, well thought out stage design.
    +Very accessible -Excessive platforming detracts from the main focus of the game which is the combat
    -Story is unmemorable, tries too hard to be taken seriously
    -Characters are unlikeable and have no depth
    -Not enough variety in combat
    -Graphical downgrade from it's predecessor
    -Limited by it's engine. (Unreal 3)

4/10 - Game is average at best, although it does well in making combat accessible it falls short in many other areas of the game and is nowhere near the quality in comparison of that of it's predecessors in the series.

If you're interested in picking up DmC: Devil May Cry, I strongly recommend you give the game a rent before purchasing.
  100. Jan 15, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.