DmC: Devil May Cry Xbox 360

5.1

1. Jan 17, 2013
    Why all the hate folks? It's not your usual Devil May Cry for sure. Capcom seems to be getting a lot of hate lately, some justified, some not. DMC is an effort to reinvent the series and getting Ninja Theory to do the game is a good move. The combat feels fluid and the production values great. So yeah, haters will always be haters. I am a big fan of the DMC series and I felt this is aWhy all the hate folks? It's not your usual Devil May Cry for sure. Capcom seems to be getting a lot of hate lately, some justified, some not. DMC is an effort to reinvent the series and getting Ninja Theory to do the game is a good move. The combat feels fluid and the production values great. So yeah, haters will always be haters. I am a big fan of the DMC series and I felt this is a shot of fresh air for the series. Expand
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    Pure action gameplay. Oddly, It reminds me of Final Fantasy X where all actions serve a particular purpose, and usually thats not a good thing, but the game has a way of making you remember what does what and it really becomes second nature. It's a wierd comparison but it's true nontheless. There's some camera issues, and more importantly way too much platforming. You could almost callPure action gameplay. Oddly, It reminds me of Final Fantasy X where all actions serve a particular purpose, and usually thats not a good thing, but the game has a way of making you remember what does what and it really becomes second nature. It's a wierd comparison but it's true nontheless. There's some camera issues, and more importantly way too much platforming. You could almost call this a platformer. And this brings it down a full grade easily. What a dumb decision. Dante's new look is nowhere near the problem that the amount of platforming is. Expand
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    A surprisingly decent story,combined with excellent and stylish combat,and an awesome soundtrack make DMC a great reboot and a step forward.I especially enjoyed Dante's rejection of the mop-head,but thought it was too careless or too careful to alienate fans that way(players choice). It didn't bother this long time fan and I enjoyed the dozen hours this took to finish the first run.TheA surprisingly decent story,combined with excellent and stylish combat,and an awesome soundtrack make DMC a great reboot and a step forward.I especially enjoyed Dante's rejection of the mop-head,but thought it was too careless or too careful to alienate fans that way(players choice). It didn't bother this long time fan and I enjoyed the dozen hours this took to finish the first run.The harder difficulties are much appreciated though as the first run-through was waaay too easy on the toughest available difficulty.The controls,though initially tricky,only require a modicrum of practise which I actually didn't mind too much.I had a great deal of fun anyway.The Icing on the cake is the fact that a ton of haters complained,bought it and then complained again.That's almost too too funny .Almost... Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    Fans of Devil May Cry franchise can abandon their fears as Ninja Theory’s treatment to the Devil May Cry franchise takes Dante into a newer, better world, complete with a fantastic combat system, stunning visuals and an amazing story of brothers Dante and Vergil’s fight against a demon king. This is Devil May Cry at its finest, covered in the blood of demons and angels alike.
  5. Oct 12, 2013
    DmC: Devil May Cry is one of thee best games of 2013. In fact, it kicked the year off in January as the first best game of the year. Fast paced, heart pounding, intense, fun as hell action, and a awesomely crafted and intriguing story line, including amazing, beautiful level design make DmC one of the best games in the genre. And one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE this game. AndDmC: Devil May Cry is one of thee best games of 2013. In fact, it kicked the year off in January as the first best game of the year. Fast paced, heart pounding, intense, fun as hell action, and a awesomely crafted and intriguing story line, including amazing, beautiful level design make DmC one of the best games in the genre. And one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE this game. And I really hope we get a sequel to it soon. Expand
  6. Jan 25, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece when it comes to enraging old fans. I've never seen such an amazing, continuous display of "features" only made to anger. I hope Capcom makes a sequel to see more people popping blood vessels.
    10/10.
  7. Jan 20, 2013
    Alright, first of all, ignore all of the angry fanboys who are pissed about the change in creative direction for the series. You know, the ones who are creating multiple accounts just to grade this game down. Is the game perfect? No. Is it a 0 or a 2? No.

Pros: Gorgeous graphics. Inventive level design. Interesting story for what it is. Accessible and fun controls. Cons: The

Cons: The new Dante. The general lack of characterization.

It's worth a play, and I commend Ninja Theory for trying something different, even if I'm not a fan of it entirely.
  8. Jan 20, 2013
    8.5 - DMC: Devil May Cry is fantastic, no doubt about it. Just finished the game today, and I have to say I am very impressed. I played 3 & 4, so I can't call myself an original hardcore fan, but I can definitely say that I'm a fan of this reboot. The new Dante comes across as totally unlikeable in the beginning - the opening cutscene is way too over top - but as the clever story8.5 - DMC: Devil May Cry is fantastic, no doubt about it. Just finished the game today, and I have to say I am very impressed. I played 3 & 4, so I can't call myself an original hardcore fan, but I can definitely say that I'm a fan of this reboot. The new Dante comes across as totally unlikeable in the beginning - the opening cutscene is way too over top - but as the clever story progresses you begin to really enjoy his new style. He is still the same pizza chiming, one-liner too-cool-for-school hero from the past games but now he has a sense of humanity in his B-movie style antics. Like I said before, the story is surprisingly clever. It's not really groundbreaking, but more creative and cool. The places that you explore are hyper-stylized and fun to traverse; Limbo is one of the coolest creations of the hack n slash genre. The ultra-stylized visuals complement the game wonderfully, and the unreal engine pulls off some beautiful landscapes. The reboot also reintroduces the pivotal character Vergil, who actually makes sense and is a character that you feel for. Voiceovers are strong across the board, along with the digital performances. DMC wouldn't be anything remarkable without the fine-tuned dynamic combat. The combat in DMC is fantastic; animations are strong, pulling off combos requires thinking rather than button mashing, and the 7 weapons you eventually have at your disposal allow the player to pull off incredibly cool combos. The soundtrack, while I'm not a fan of metal or dub step, keeps the game consistently energetic and fun. There are some very cool boss battles, along with some incredibly creative level designs that really wowed me. The game isn't without faults, though. The Unreal engine sometimes has texture loading issues (nothing we haven't seen before) and there are some herby-jerky animations for Kat and Vergil. There are also a couple of sequences where there is no combat what-so-ever, where you are just running alongside of Kat or Vergil. Also, DMC has a bit of profanity (not as much as I expected though) that is inconsistent with the DMC name, which I felt was a mild turn-off. Aside from the gripes, DMC Devil May Cry was a hard game to put down. Looking at the metascore, it seems that fans were not pleased, but I also doubt many have even played the game. It's a reboot, and a much needed one after the atrocious DMC4. It's very creative and stylish game that really surprised me from start to finish. I can't wait for the return trip and going after those harder difficulties! Expand
  9. Oct 25, 2013
    It actually pains me to see a game under-sell and do poorly just because a bunch of childish fangirls dont like the style and new story. Its just annoying. The game is fabulous. From the amazing combat and superb visuals, and not to mention the heart pounding soundtrack. I enjoyed every second of it. And the only reason its getting so much hate is because dante looks different. Get overIt actually pains me to see a game under-sell and do poorly just because a bunch of childish fangirls dont like the style and new story. Its just annoying. The game is fabulous. From the amazing combat and superb visuals, and not to mention the heart pounding soundtrack. I enjoyed every second of it. And the only reason its getting so much hate is because dante looks different. Get over it. Ninja theory deserved so much more from the people for making dmc matter again. Ignore all the hate, and if you haven't already, play it. You wont regret it. Expand
  10. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  11. Jan 30, 2013
    haters gonna hate, but this game is another blockbuster, the fans support this, and this os what really matter, like call of duty and resident evil 6, many hate, many love
  12. Jan 29, 2013
    The game is great, fun smooth action, a decent plot.
    Vergil is an a**hole.
    The scenarios are stunning.
    The soundtrack is the best in the franchise.
    My final verdict for this game is: A BETTER GAME THAN DMC 2 AND 4 .
  13. Jan 4, 2016
    The game looks stunning,Dante is really hot character,secondary characters look really nasty but awesome as well,the gameplay is fun when it comes to fighting with different weapons to extend combos,the platforming could of worked a bit better though.A game you'll probably have a blast with i know i did.
  14. Jan 23, 2013
    It's a decent action game but its not a devil may cry game. Ninja theory should have called this devil may try! Graphics and music are good but story and controls are weak!
  15. Feb 20, 2013
    This game is very good. Few faults.
    Pros
    - A lot of tricks
    - Many opponents
    - At completion point grading
    - Good atmosphere
    - Interesting story
    - Beautiful girls
    Cons
    - Poor perception
  16. Jun 25, 2013
    The motion capture was pretty awesome than the other DmC games. I just like the combat weapon (Angels & Demon) where there is pulling enemies, shooting time and alternate impact games. The new Dante design it's so cheap. The only think i like in the game was a enjoyable gameplay. than the character's design that was so cheap.
  17. Mar 21, 2013
    I honestly think people are taking the whole new Dante design think way too seriously, Attacks have an amazing amount of variety and combos are fun and the enemies aren't half bad as well. Although i can definitely see why fans of the series would get pissed off, Im not rally a hardcore DMC fan either way so it doesn't really affect me as much. stories pretty cool but there isn't as muchI honestly think people are taking the whole new Dante design think way too seriously, Attacks have an amazing amount of variety and combos are fun and the enemies aren't half bad as well. Although i can definitely see why fans of the series would get pissed off, Im not rally a hardcore DMC fan either way so it doesn't really affect me as much. stories pretty cool but there isn't as much character development as hoped for except for in Dante and his brother. I liked it, it was fun and it was action packed Expand
  18. Jan 19, 2013
    It's about d*mn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal withIt's about d*mn time that video games grew up. / It's okay to show human violence, but not violence against certain demographics (like women)? It's okay to show death and dismemberment, but not the most necessary of all acts (procreation)? Get off your high horses, please. / The medium of video gaming needs to be driven forward. That means that the same topics that other media deal with needs to be covered, as well: sex, violence, philosophy, religion, etc. Does DmC cover said topics in an adult way? Perhaps not. **But it is a giant leap forward.** It deserves to be saluted, for that fact. /
    The negative reviews here are merely by reactionary conservatives. People who whose views be looked back upon with contempt, just as the average citizens of today look back with contempt upon historical conservative views (anti-abortion, pro-slavery, pro-monarchy, anti-woman, etc.). What is conservatism? A mentality that is afraid of change and afraid of the unknown. Progressiveness is not afraid to try new things. And that is why we have the modern world: electronics, philosophy and science (instead of religion), democracy (instead of dictatorship, monarchy, or other oligarchical), etc., etc., etc. / Get with the 21 century. Play this game.
  19. Jan 26, 2013
    Love this game. Having played and still owning almost all the DMC's up to this point I really dont understand how anyone who has played DMC could not love this new DMC reboot. I love everything about the game and not I'm not just saying that. I didnt really like DMC4 very much, but this reboot of DMC is just truly amazing. The graphics are awesome, I love the new Dante look and for allLove this game. Having played and still owning almost all the DMC's up to this point I really dont understand how anyone who has played DMC could not love this new DMC reboot. I love everything about the game and not I'm not just saying that. I didnt really like DMC4 very much, but this reboot of DMC is just truly amazing. The graphics are awesome, I love the new Dante look and for all those trolling and crying about the new look why dont you just use the original Dante skin and stop crying because that is the dumbest reason to not like or give a game a bad rating I mean damn it came with 4 more optional skins. If you have ever liked any Devil May Cry or Darksiders I or II or any other big name hack and slash then you will be glad you got this game. and to be honest I did not like Darksiders 2 at all and am not a huge hack and slash fan, but like I said I LOVE this game, and really did not expect to. I really cant understand the people that give this game a bad rating but when you consider that all the well known reviewers and critics give it high scores then you know that they are just trolling and crying for what reason no one knows, but this game is a must have! Expand
  20. Mar 2, 2016
    As a not diehard Devil May cry fan i enjoyed this game very much.The best of hack and slash.But the bad is that the Devil May Cry franchise has never been full hack and slash,had more puzzles and sharper story.I understand that the change of the main characters also brought some negativity,but overall i find this game amusing for me.
  21. Dec 19, 2015
    Very addictive combat, if nothing else. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action and visuals. It is almost on par with arkham city for action
  22. Feb 6, 2013
    Let me start out by saying I loved DMC 1,3, and 4. But at the same time I will not pretend those were perfect games. The major set backs in my opinion of the older Devil May Cry's were the camera, the gameplay in-between combat segments and probably worst of all the F***ing music. Dear god the music... every time you engage in combat there is only one horrible Rob Zombie song that playsLet me start out by saying I loved DMC 1,3, and 4. But at the same time I will not pretend those were perfect games. The major set backs in my opinion of the older Devil May Cry's were the camera, the gameplay in-between combat segments and probably worst of all the F***ing music. Dear god the music... every time you engage in combat there is only one horrible Rob Zombie song that plays over and over and over till my head explodes. Don't get me wrong the music in the new DmC isn't a masterpiece but it is appropriately heavy and diverse. Further more the cutscenes/acting in the reboot is top notch, it has a ridiculously pulpy story, creative level design, well done difficulty settings, extremely familiar yet more dynamic combat, and most importantly is JUST FLAT OUT FUN. Although I did prefer the anime style of the older games, DmC (the reboot) is an overall more ambitious and better game. Look at the journalist review scores, the quality is there. When it comes to user reviews just remember, haters gonna hate. Expand
  23. Nov 3, 2013
    There has been a lot of controversy about DmC. The design of Dante was especially criticized. In all honesty however, being this my first Devil May Cry, I gotta say that is actually a really good game, and doesn't deserve the low rating half the users are giving it.
    First, the visuals. They look really good, and are pretty smooth. Some were complaining about it being in 30 fps instead of 60, but it doesn't feel clunky at all. I've got to say that, personally, I prefer the original DMC's designs, but there is actually an explanation revealed during the story. While the character's design aren't as good as the original, the environment is gorgeous and polished. The soundtrack is not really memorable. Too many heavy metal songs. The voices aren't memorable either, but do their job.
    The story feels like an afterthought, but I guess those who wanted to know Dante's backstory (at least, what WAS Dante's back-story until this game became part from an alternate universe), it will entertain you. I've got to say that I didn't laugh that much to this new Dante. Everyone I know says that Dante cracks a lot of jokes and trash-talks his enemies almost constantly. The only problem is that, these aren't that funny. He says a lot of and it's just not entertaining.
    The gameplay is what makes this game truly worthy. The combos are quick, fun and really entertaining to watch. The multiple attacks with different attacks give you a huge amount of variety in combos. There are some moments of basic platforming, but the gameplay is entirely based on combat. And I'm not complaining at all with that. The bosses maintain the fun factor of the game, through some can get a little repetitive. Overall, I'm excited to try on other Devil May Cry titles, and a little sad to see this title being left behind by a bad design choice. Luckily, it will be vindicated over the time.
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    everyone needs to relax and come to one simple question when playing this game: Is it fun? The short answer is, unequivocally, YES. Long answer?
    The game is NOT perfect, do not be the first person to pretend it is. At the same time, its a well done game by a good studio, and while it may not go over the heights of the previous franchise, its still a damn good game. Hell, even the creator of Devil May Cry has gone to bat for the developer to say this is a good game and is treated with respect. If anyone is allowed to have an opinion, its him.
    Overall, the gameplay is a ton of fun, and while styles could've been nice to implement here, who knows, maybe in a future installment we can see this.
    The point of this review is that the haters you see in the comment section below have NOT played the game or if they did, they only did so to complain here. They are not the real fans since they are so butthurt over the new look of Dante. And while I miss the old Dante, this is a RE-IMAGINING, not a sequel/prequel. Give the game an honest go, and you will see that the gameplay as well as the story are both fun and memorable. Don't listen to the idiots on this site and try to judge a game for yourself before you knock this one off of your list. My biggest complaint, however is the lock on [which isnt perfect] as well as how over the top the story segments can be.
    However, everyone in the reviewing-game biz can see this is a well-done game [hell Famitsu gave it a 34 out of 40, and we know how hard it is to please them].

so, be a open minded individual, don't give into the hate [which people did before the game even came out] and judge it for yourself. You will be surprised at how much fun you can have. Be honest and you will enjoy this game for what it is. :) This is a good game for any fan AS LONG AS YOU TRY TO HAVE FUN and ENJOY THE GAME FOR WHAT IT IS [a re-imagining with great gameplay, nothing more]
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    Firstly it's interesting to see how many people wrote poor day one reviews about a game that they clearly hadn't played. As time goes on there seems to be more and more positiveness about this game. I do feel however, that the public are doing a good job about voicing concerns over genuine issues that are plaguing gaming such as EA's always online DRM for Sim City or EA's Pay to win microFirstly it's interesting to see how many people wrote poor day one reviews about a game that they clearly hadn't played. As time goes on there seems to be more and more positiveness about this game. I do feel however, that the public are doing a good job about voicing concerns over genuine issues that are plaguing gaming such as EA's always online DRM for Sim City or EA's Pay to win micro transactions... or just EA in general, however, it goes a bit far when we apply this to the colour of Dante's hair. Dante seems to have lost his Mojo, this is true. He also seems to have lost the ability to lock on to enemies, to be nice to people and to smile. This is where the negativity should end. Many of us who have played the game rather than the demo feel that DMC has been treated unjustly. Ninja Theory have done a very good job and technically it is a visual treat (stop whining about a 30fps cap if you really care get a TV with motion plus). The gameplay is fluid and complex. Resorting to the alleged button bashing that some 'hard core Devil May Cry' players seem to resort to will only get you as far as in previous devil may cry games (i.e. through human mode). The stand out point is the level design. Just Awesome. In a gaming world where we are getting some repetitive and generic level design, Ninja Theory have really though outside the box and provided some of the most original and mid bending level design in an action game to date. How this can be described as bland and unoriginal in some user reviews is beyond me... seriously check back over Devil May Cry 4 and look at how much back tracking you have to do through fortuna castle!! I also wonder about whether some of the negative die hard Devil May Cry fanboys actually played all the Devil May Cry series. To say that the gameplay is dumbed down from Devil May Cry 2 is just not true! In fact you may find that many of the same reviewers also complained about Nero in Devil May Cry 4, saying the action had been dumbed down which I enjoyed by the way... but I prefer DMC (5). The only true Devil May Cry games have been 1 and 3. The addition of triggers to instigate Angel or Demon Weapons is a genuis move, and i feel that adding enemies that require specific attacks was a good way of avoiding the button bashing that people believe they are doing. I feel that Capcom have suffered from a premature reboot. I truly believe that they could have churned out a continuation of the original series, however, to trash this game is to snub a great effort from a development team who have made a great game I just wish we could have a DMC line and a Devil May Cry continuation like Modern warfare and black ops... oh and vergils downfall is even better! The story comes into its own in the add on. Expand
  26. Jan 9, 2014
    I want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game iI want to say upfront that this is the first Devil May Cry game i have picked up and played. What first drew me to this game was that fact that it was a hack n slash game which is a genre i really enjoy, and its visuals. But when i started to play the game i got really hooked on its gripping story, its facial animations, and many more. Now just because this is my first Devil May Cry game i have played does not mean i don't know what is going on. In this game you are Dante who you just suspect first as a lady's man who enjoys partying but after he is attacked by a demon in the first level he gets drawn into a secret war where demons walk among the human populace. Within the first level you meet Kat who becomes very instrumental in helping Dante on his journey. Then after Kay helps get him out of limbo she takes her to meet another character named Vergil who is the leader of this group that may seem like a terrorist group but you will find out that they are actually fighting the demons that walk among the humans. When Dante meets Vergil, Vergil tries to convince Dante to join but at first Dante refuses but when convinced Dante goes into limbo where he discovers his origins which i won't spoil for you because it is very interesting. Anyways after that Dante agrees to assist Vergil's cause which is too help humanity in a certain way against the demons. Now i want to talk about some of the games positives, first the Unreal Engine makes this games visuals extremely fun to look, in this game you will be spending most of your time in limbo, and thats where visuals come into play, the level of detail in this game i believe can compete with some of the other hack n slashers out there such as Dante's Inferno, and the God of War series. You will see constantly the environment breaking apart and reshaping itself. The boss battles are another big positive to this game because not only are they really cool characters but again they use the visuals really well so when the bosses use their attacks they are just a wonder to look at, there really is no way to fully describe them. Another really strong positive to this game is the voice acting and facial animations, all the characters are believable they sound like they actually put hard work into their characters, and the facial animations are just spot on, no lip syncing problems, i would go as far to say that these facial animations are on par with LA Noire, YES they are that good. I may have said this before the story is really well written, its worth a ride and it is simply a fun roller coaster ride, there is one major plot twist at the end which brings me to my next point, this games ending is both action packed and emotional with a sense of morality. Now i will say without spoiling it the final boss battle will not end with who you think. It is so rare to find now a days a good game ending that is so satisfying it sticks with you in your mind, which this ending will do to you, because all of the characters are really memorable. One of the final positives for this game is the weapon selection and combat system throughout the game you will be introduced to at least 7 or 8 weapons, and each of them have their own visual flare, plus the best thing with this weapon and combat system is that yes the game gives you some standard combos but if you want to put some imagination into it you can switch weapons mid combo to create some really insane looking combos. This combat system is not repetitive in any major way, because the enemies in the game provide a challenge in a way that they don't just use one attack over and over again just like you they will mix and match their attacks. Now i have found no major glitches, no drop of the facial animations, and thankfully no drop in the frame rate. Now it may seem like this game in my mind is perfect with no significant flaws but there is just one flaw in the story, and it deals with the context of a certain scene in the opening cut scene. What it is, is that in the beginning Dante is in a strip club, and he is with two of the girls there, he has fun with them then takes them back to his trailer and the scene that results is that the two girls are in the trailer with Dante and he has more fun with them, and you will see the trailer bouncing up and down implying that Dante and the two girls are having strong sex. Well i didn't have a problem with he club scene because Dante was just there watching and charming the girls, and i also didn't have a problem with him taking them home but after that i think they should have cut it off there then resume when Dante wakes up the next morning. I just believe the scene i described when Dante takes them into the trailer did not have much context to be in there. So to me that was just a small disconnect from the story. I would like to say i am not against sex in video i just prefer it when it has context. In conclusion i would highly recommend this game to anyone, and my final score is really 9.75 Expand
  27. Mar 13, 2014
    Ignore all the flack that this reboot gets. It's fun, and really, that's all that should matter with a video game. Only problem I had with it is that it's far too easy. Literally the ONLY gripe I have with it.
  28. Feb 13, 2013
    Don't listen to the blind sheep bagging this game. Ninja theory have done an outstanding job here, creating a rich and rewarding combat system and some of the most creative and original level design of this generation. Brilliant stuff!!
  29. Jan 22, 2013
    The definite hack-and-slash game on the 360. It might not be the DMC that we all know and love--and that's exactly why it's good thing. While I own the previous games, and I enjoy them for what they are, none of them are definitively excellent. The have no story (don't argue, they don't) and just thrive on the beautiful-if-clunky combat that we all love. Sure, the story here might not beThe definite hack-and-slash game on the 360. It might not be the DMC that we all know and love--and that's exactly why it's good thing. While I own the previous games, and I enjoy them for what they are, none of them are definitively excellent. The have no story (don't argue, they don't) and just thrive on the beautiful-if-clunky combat that we all love. Sure, the story here might not be Pulitzer Prize winning, but it's definitely a step up for the franchise driven by nothing but killing aimlessly because the game tells us to. The combat? Beautiful and smooth, all wrapped up in an absolutely glorious artistic style. This is it, this is the game I've been waiting for. Epic as sin, and sure as Dante we're sin. Expand
  30. Feb 8, 2013
    One of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console toOne of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console to date such as DMC4 or Bayonetta, partially due to the broken style system. I enjoyed this game overall more than Ninja Gaiden II, but the mechanics of NGII's combat system were also obviously superior to this game. I've never been skilled enough to consistently achieve SSS combos in any previous DMC game, and I'm ok with that. At the time of writing this review, I've completed all the DMC's except 3 (I had traded my PS2 for an original Xbox before that came out or I would have played it too) on the "Normal" (aka Devil Hunter) difficulty. In DmC 5, however, SSS combos (NOT overall level rankings) can be achieved by pretty much anyone who knows how to button-mash their way through any simple hack-and-slash game. Similarly, if you don't care about your rank, you can cheese your way through huge sections of the campaign with minimal effort, though a few of the boss fights will force you to exhibit some skill to beat, although they all revolve around extremely predictable patterns involving swinging between a few platforms with one of your two seperate types of grappling hooks while the boss will probably be trying to vomit on you or something like that. Most of the levels look incredible, and I like how they are all based on twisted versions of everyday places such as a carnival, nightclub, factory, etc. but the actual map layouts are bland, and there's so much platforming this could almost be considered a platformer with melee combat. The lack of lock-on made me curse alot as the game miserably tried to "predictively" select the enemy I wanted to shoot with guns and/or grappling hooks. I love the soundtrack in DmC, but then again I am into industrial metal music, and I do realize that a lot of people aren't. The game even suprised me by featuring a few songs that I have had in regular rotation on my MP3 player, which is rare for me since most games either have epic movie-style soundtracks, or just boring licensed garbage like a lot of EA Rockstar games. Contrary to other user reviews, there is thankfully only a little bit of actual dubstep in the game. Industrial is not dubstep, kids. The characters have a lot of terrible dialogue, just like the other DMC games. Overall I enjoyed the story in this newest entry more than DMC 1-4 because it was the only one out of the entire series where I could even tell there was supposed to be a story, even though they did copy a Futurama episode for the factory level. Finally, I would rate this game an 8.5, I would have given DMC4 a 9.25, and Bayonetta would get a 9.5. I'm rounding up the 8.5 since there's so many zeroes on these user ratings. People are acting like it's worse than Vampire Rain or something, I mean, come on. It's actually a pretty fun game when judged on its own. However, it's a step down compared to all the other games in this series (except DMC2). Expand
  31. Jan 27, 2013
    The story of DmC, which in my opinion isn
  32. Jan 15, 2013
    As a fan of Devil May Cry i couldnt wait to get my hands on a new game. Then i heard it was being made by a new developer which kinda worried me a bit, but its Devil May Cry so i bought it regardless. Even though its different its also the same, it takes a little getting used to, but once you do its a great game, one of the best in the series (a HELL of a lot better than Devil May Cry 2As a fan of Devil May Cry i couldnt wait to get my hands on a new game. Then i heard it was being made by a new developer which kinda worried me a bit, but its Devil May Cry so i bought it regardless. Even though its different its also the same, it takes a little getting used to, but once you do its a great game, one of the best in the series (a HELL of a lot better than Devil May Cry 2 and 4 thats for sure) Im really enjoying it. Expand
  33. Mar 1, 2013
    The low user score on this game, is solely because of people's inclinement to hate it for changing the original style and characters on the franchise. I for one, am a big fan of the DMC franchise, and even though, I, as everybody else hated Ninja Theory's new take the first time i saw it, i decided to give the game a chance. In all honesty, this is one of the best H&S games that's comeThe low user score on this game, is solely because of people's inclinement to hate it for changing the original style and characters on the franchise. I for one, am a big fan of the DMC franchise, and even though, I, as everybody else hated Ninja Theory's new take the first time i saw it, i decided to give the game a chance. In all honesty, this is one of the best H&S games that's come around in the last couple of years, as well as, by far, Ninja Teory's best work (and this is coming from a fan of Enslaved and Heavenly Sword). Even when the combat isn't as deep as DMC3 or (arguably) DMC4, it's much deeper than your typical run of the mill melee action game, with new Dante's new mechanics making you alternate between long ranged fast angel weapons, slow and strong demon weapons, and the regular rebellion, as well as giving you three different ranged weapons and two types of hooks for either bringing your enemies close or quickly coming to them, with most of old DMC's signature attack's such as the stinger, with simplified controls. Yet again, it may not be as deep as old DMC's combat, but it's pretty close, and it's a blast.

As for the other aspects of the game, the story is full of cliches, but it's way better than your typical H&S game story, and honestly (at the risk of enraging DMC orthodox fans) much more interesting than anything DMC's previously offer story wise, though it lacks the charm of the old characters. By far impressive "non-gameplay" aspect of the game is it's visuals, which aren't quite like anything i've seen before, all the different visual concepts of the limbo world are just jaw dropping, amazingly well achieved, and are complemented by a sick soundtrack that gives the game a whole new attitude.

Overall, i was a sceptic about as other DMC fans, but i'm not blinded by my scepticism, so I was much able to enjoy this fantastic game, and you should too if you leave aside your fanboy crying for the old Dante and the old DMC style and take it for what it is.
  34. Jan 15, 2013
    you really have to be objective and take this game as its own brand because it is NOT the same devil may cry that being said its a great game a bit short.....and starting on the hardest unlocked difficulty is a must if you have beaten a DMC game before. most of these bad scores are from ppl looking for DMC 5, which this is not. its getting a 9 because there should defiantly b more baby killing
  35. Feb 11, 2013
    This Devil May Cry reboot is everything the series needed even if it’s something the fan base never wanted no there aren’t any demonic tanks or evil infused puppets but there is a will to advance the series with enriched environments that are beautifully crafted, better control schemes that don’t have you constantly beating your controller against a brick wall and a less convolutedThis Devil May Cry reboot is everything the series needed even if it’s something the fan base never wanted no there aren’t any demonic tanks or evil infused puppets but there is a will to advance the series with enriched environments that are beautifully crafted, better control schemes that don’t have you constantly beating your controller against a brick wall and a less convoluted story that doesn’t have dante screaming “I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIGHTTTTTT” and then escaping in a biplane no you won’t be running through a castle to fight one boss only to have to run through the same castle to the same area to fight another boss what you will have to do is relax and allow the geniuses at Ninja Theory to tell you a tale or in the case of some fans allow them to strap you into a straight jacket and force feed you the Nuevo devil may cry medicine .

(Dont get me wrong i loved the original devil may cry and it remains one of my favorite capcom games of all time.....right after Resident evil and Onimusha but to be perfectly honest this game was needed to bring back a franchise that would otherwise have been left buried under a mountain of Street fighter DLC)
  36. Jan 20, 2013
    As a long time player of the dmc series, This game simply is by far the best Devil May Cry game in the series!

Anyone who gives this game a bad rating either has not played this game or just can't let go of the older dmc series dante...which is wrong in so many ways because they are not even judging this game for what it is. in this generation..change should be welcomed. and besides people are always more vocal about things they dislike than like...which is an obvious factor here because this game is truly great.

I love this game, from the gameplay aspect down to the story, the character portrayal and everything else. I love how the story is more detailed and clear this time around, and I love the real world being a demonic illusion concept by the higher powers of the world.

As for gameplay, it may not be on bayonetta's level of gameplay which i think set the action genre bar very high. But it's controls down to it's combo's and variety and technicalities really excel in this game. easy-normal-nephelim may be easier modes, but beyond those difficulties start to provide some real challenge, this game can be very hard, challenging to master and overall so stylish and great in so many ways.

All i can say is, ignore the negative reviews...they have no idea what they are talking about. Go out and buy the game and understand for yourself what makes this game so fun.
  37. Jan 16, 2013
    this game is awesome. I have played all of the DMC games, and over the years, this franchise grew stale and i completely lost interest in DMC. after DMC4. Dante felt old, tired and i preferred Nero over Dante because his demon arm felt so much fun to use and pull off combos with. Dante of DMC4 was not cool and i dreaded switching back control to Dante.
    This reboot is what the franchise
    This reboot is what the franchise needed. It grabbed my interest and made me more of a fan than the last 4 games ever did. The acting and mocap is superb, graphics and design is awesome. the old dante is dead. Ninja theory did a great job. Way to show Capcom how devil may cry should be done.
  38. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a great game and perhaps the best hack-and-slash game I have played. The story is well written, the characters are believable(Dante even more so than in previous DmC games) and the atmosphere is fantastic. Throw in some fun, easily controllable fast-paced combat and fantastic boss battles along with 9 different difficulty levels to play through, and you have yourself a completeThis is a great game and perhaps the best hack-and-slash game I have played. The story is well written, the characters are believable(Dante even more so than in previous DmC games) and the atmosphere is fantastic. Throw in some fun, easily controllable fast-paced combat and fantastic boss battles along with 9 different difficulty levels to play through, and you have yourself a complete package. This game is well worth it and I highly recommend that you pick it up. Expand
  39. Dec 2, 2015
    Really enjoyed this, I mean I can get why people were hating the new take on Dante and Virgil, I hated the whole hipster look and attitude and the girl was very irritating. However the fighting system was simple enough to get into but getting more abilities could up the challenge of combo moves which made fighting enjoyable. The last boss sucked big time but most of the others wereReally enjoyed this, I mean I can get why people were hating the new take on Dante and Virgil, I hated the whole hipster look and attitude and the girl was very irritating. However the fighting system was simple enough to get into but getting more abilities could up the challenge of combo moves which made fighting enjoyable. The last boss sucked big time but most of the others were amazing, and some of Dantes dialogue was actually pretty funny, the fanboys will always cry when something in 'their' game changes, I hated this game when it was first announced myself but found it much later on sale a while after it had been out and was very surprised when i played it, I completed it three times and will probably buy it again for the Xbox One. Basically, don't make the same mistake as me and judge the game before playing it. Expand
  40. Jan 21, 2013
    The best gameplay for a hack'n slash I ever seen! This game is perfect... A dream of gameplay... I don't finish it yet, but I played it for about 4 hours, and it's so amazing! I don't care if they changed Dante, because what's really matters is the DmC feeling. It's a Devil May Cry game, you can feel... The atmosphere is there... Don't be so blind!
  41. Jan 19, 2013
    Amazing game,the graphics and the story of this are awesome.Almost everything is interesting about this game,but the gameplay,is just perfect,there so much weapons,combos and fun in this game that I caught myself laughing on how much fun I was getting in the fights and in the story.
    Devil May Cry is famous for been hard,this game is no exception,if you try the hardests modes of course.But a thing that I do miss from the older games of series,is the freedom.This new Devil May Cry is linear as hell and there is almost none puzzles in this game.
    Even if all these issues,this is still an awesome and fun game,every fan of the series should try this amazing game.
  42. Jan 16, 2013
    To start this review im going to be honest when i first heard about this game being a reboot i was not happy i like many had become attached to dante and the old games.I have been keeping an eye on it though in the months leading to its release and i pre-ordered it and got it on release day and was blown away the fighting system feels fresh but also familiar.The way the story has elementsTo start this review im going to be honest when i first heard about this game being a reboot i was not happy i like many had become attached to dante and the old games.I have been keeping an eye on it though in the months leading to its release and i pre-ordered it and got it on release day and was blown away the fighting system feels fresh but also familiar.The way the story has elements from the old games and changed them making it feel fresh and i like the addition of 2 realms the real world and limbo where you get taken to fight the demons and the edition of the training system makes it easier to learn the new combos .To end this review this is a fantastic game that everyone should try and capcom and ninja theory should feel proud of what they have produced welldone Expand
  43. Aug 14, 2013
    So dmc is finally here and is awesome the combat is refreshing the graphics are some of the best i have seen the only problem is the new dante he is annoying and will offend anyone who liked the old dante like me but that dose not mean the game deserves 2 out of ten come on guys that's just silly. Overall dmc is a solid hack and slash that's why i give dmc a eight out of ten
  44. Jan 15, 2013
    When this game was first announced as a reboot by Ninja Theory...I as a HUGE Devil May Cry fan was furious at the direction they took with the game and had convinced myself this game would be a joke and a failure. I wasnt even interested in downloading the demo when it came out, but I began to see many different opinions ... some praising it, others bashing it. I decided to do myself aWhen this game was first announced as a reboot by Ninja Theory...I as a HUGE Devil May Cry fan was furious at the direction they took with the game and had convinced myself this game would be a joke and a failure. I wasnt even interested in downloading the demo when it came out, but I began to see many different opinions ... some praising it, others bashing it. I decided to do myself a favor and just give it a chance and put aside my preconceived notions of the game. The Demo was amazing, and I felt very silly about having bashed this game so much before it was even detailed in the media.

I have played the full game, and all I can say is, I am extremely disappointed in myself for not giving this game the benefit of the doubt from the beginning.

This reboot even got the original DMC creator's seal of approval, and mine as well as a HUGE fan of the series. If you're a GAMER, and you want to play a fun game with a fluid combat system and humorous dialogue then you need to pick this game up.

DONT PAY ATTENTION TO THE 0 VOTES, I'D WAGER MOST OF THEM ARE MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS AND ILLEGITIMATE, THE GAME IS GOOD!.
  45. Mar 2, 2013
    When I first started this game, I had no idea what to expect, I was filled to the brim with different opinions from other people about whether this change for the series was a bad idea or badly needed. Now before I bought this game, I went out and bought the HD collection so I could get the most out of the past games and see if I turned into one of those who sought out to destroy this newWhen I first started this game, I had no idea what to expect, I was filled to the brim with different opinions from other people about whether this change for the series was a bad idea or badly needed. Now before I bought this game, I went out and bought the HD collection so I could get the most out of the past games and see if I turned into one of those who sought out to destroy this new upcoming series, even played the fourth one, which didn't really revolve around Dante, but was still interesting. Back to the matter at hand, I was extremely intrigued to see how they could turn such an interesting concept and amount of gameplay, to make it anew. Well, to say the least, it was interesting. As soon as it began, I knew it was going to be made to impress the more recent generation. The bumping of music constantly, the fast gameplay, but..still a good amount of story and even a taste of politics to hold everything together. Finishing the game in one playthrough, it had captivated me to find out where it was all going, how Capcom decided to put things from the original series. Enemies could get a bit repetitive at times and the moves as well, but platforming and cutscenes were smooth as can be. To really set replay value, there are all sorts of difficulty settings to keep the spirit alive. All in all, a great game, a possible great start to a renovation of a great series. Expand
  46. Nov 17, 2013
    Forget what the haters say, this ones here and its awesome!

Having played all the other DMC games I was at first not attracted to this game because, like everyone else I didnt like the character style. However once I played the demo I was over it as I knew the gameplay was solid. Graphics: These are the best the series has had to offer. Ninja Theory defiantly steps up their game and
    Forget what the haters say, this ones here and its awesome!

Graphics: These are the best the series has had to offer. Ninja Theory defiantly steps up their game and shows off some amazing visuals. The stages are not only the best i've seen in the series, they might be some of the coolest and best i've seen in a action game ever. Whats even more impressive is how great this game looks and its running on such an outdated game engine unreal 3 ).

Audio: The audio is kick ass. However this time is licensed music. Its all perfectly chosen and fit the game perfect. Its a blend of metal, rock and techno depending on the stage. Since its not just game music its actually stuff that you'd probably wanna just listening to for hearing pleasure too.

Gameplay: The game plays is awesome. Dante feels more like nero from part 4 in this one with his angelic and demonic grabs working just like neros arm grab. Imho this is fantastic as nero is my favorite DMC play style in the whole series. The game does suffer from some flaws however. Its vastly too easy. You're gonna just instantly wanna start on the hardest difficulty thats available from the start. Another thing it it seems impossible to cancel out of a move mid action.

Story: DMC has always had terrible stories. This one at least tries and it does much better than any previous entry. However its still nothing to write home about.

Over all this is the best DMC period. I really think people are missing out because they dont like Dantes new look and more "edgy" personality. Even though I honestly think his more edgy personality is more realistic than his over the stop shannagins of previous games.

If you're a fan of the genre its a must have! Go pick it up now.
  47. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. I recommend it without any sort of reservation. It's just pure unadulterated fun. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the character action aint half bad either.
  48. Feb 23, 2013
    Although the new look put me off. I enjoyed the solid gameplay. The fluidity of combat is a high set bar and something that all hack and slash games should set themselves at. The atmosphere and soundtrack made this game great to play. I'd like to see more things other than a DMC sequel for Ninja Theory to develop. But this game has some issues such as its Devil Trigger. Which made itAlthough the new look put me off. I enjoyed the solid gameplay. The fluidity of combat is a high set bar and something that all hack and slash games should set themselves at. The atmosphere and soundtrack made this game great to play. I'd like to see more things other than a DMC sequel for Ninja Theory to develop. But this game has some issues such as its Devil Trigger. Which made it awkward killing enemies. and its repetitive level layout. Overall this game is a great game. i recommend it to everyone. Expand
  49. Jan 20, 2013
    I can't believe how immature and unjust most of the reviewers in the user section are. This is a decent game at the least. The combat is great and the story wasn't that bad. Don't listen to the 0's and 1's on this score. They are just idiotic scumbags. No game every deserves a 0 no matter how bad it really is.
  50. ECU
    Jul 17, 2014
    DmC does nearly everything right. Fast action, cool characters, dynamic levels they are all great and well tought. But there are some minor issues too. There are few too many platforming levels and they are not working well. This is an action game so controls and camera are designed for slashing, not for jumping around trying to land on the perfect spot. But the point where the game trulyDmC does nearly everything right. Fast action, cool characters, dynamic levels they are all great and well tought. But there are some minor issues too. There are few too many platforming levels and they are not working well. This is an action game so controls and camera are designed for slashing, not for jumping around trying to land on the perfect spot. But the point where the game truly shines is level design. All levels follow the same design elements though they are never dull or repetitive. Fighting your way through a dynamicly changeing level is too fun to miss out. Expand
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wantedQuite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  52. Jan 15, 2013
    I think DmC devil may cry is exactly what the series needed !! I am a hardcore fan of this series and have enjoyed all the games !!! I think the combat is made simpler yet brutal and is lots of fun. ! I think the story is one of its strongest assets and it gives fans more insight in to dante's background and is realy intresting. Everything about this REBOOT is awesome . NUF SAID. I wouldI think DmC devil may cry is exactly what the series needed !! I am a hardcore fan of this series and have enjoyed all the games !!! I think the combat is made simpler yet brutal and is lots of fun. ! I think the story is one of its strongest assets and it gives fans more insight in to dante's background and is realy intresting. Everything about this REBOOT is awesome . NUF SAID. I would like to say that it is gamers like you guys who is killing the video game industry !! If you dont like the game because its a REBOOT (which means its a new take on the series ) then dont hate on it ! Ninja theory made an execellent game and should not be hated because some whiny little gamers want the old dante back. If game stayed the same we would never get innovative games like dishonored ordark souls. This series needed a REBOOT and i hope that this series will continue and that ninja theory and the public will ignore the dumb biased and objective reviews . Expand
  53. Jan 16, 2013
    AWESOME.
    I was one of the fans that hated the first trailer but i try it and i have to admit:ninja theory pull it off !
    This is a great game!
    This is fun game to play,with great looks and a reasonably size single player campaign(very rare this days) Stop beeing babys !
    Give it a chance and i bet you will have fun too !
    Ninja Theory congrats!
  54. Jan 16, 2013
    Ok so let me start of by saying I'm a huge dmc fan.I've played Evey game, saw the anime and read the manga. This game is a great addition to the series. The graphics are amazing, the game play is spot on. The level design is some of the best I've seen. Dante is Dante through and through. The game opens up as u play and one u beat it, he .. wait for it...has white hair. Don't listen toOk so let me start of by saying I'm a huge dmc fan.I've played Evey game, saw the anime and read the manga. This game is a great addition to the series. The graphics are amazing, the game play is spot on. The level design is some of the best I've seen. Dante is Dante through and through. The game opens up as u play and one u beat it, he .. wait for it...has white hair. Don't listen to the so called fans of original dmc. This game is amazing I highly reccommend it to any action game fan. Stop reading and go buy it. Oh and son of Sparta mode after u beat it makes it even better. Expand
  55. Feb 25, 2013
    First thing's first Do not listen to anyone who's says that the game is a pure button masher, and that it's so easy that it's boring. I guarantee you that 99% of these people have not beaten the game on the hardest mode, nor have they completed every level on hard with an SSS ranking across the board. To do this, you must master the following:

- complete knowledge of each enemy's

- complete knowledge of each enemy's and/or boss' abilities/strengths/weaknesses
    - perfect reflexes to the point where you are able to either evade, parry or counter any/every attack from each enemy/boss
    - perfect knowledge of each and every level in the game, as speed is a key factor into you being awarded an SSS level ranking
    - complete knowledge of Dante's abilities in order to be able to initiate SSS combos regardless of the type of enemy/boss
    - no deaths, no damage taken, and very little to no use of consumables such as health/devil trigger stars (aka potions).

---------------------------------------------------------

Now, onwards to the review:

When I first saw the new look, the new Dante created by Ninja Theory truth be told, I was upset, and concerned that the game would turn out to essentially suck. Specifically, I did not like Dante's new look. I did not like how the level designs looked. And, I just wasn't convinced that Ninja Theory would be able to deliver a worthy reboot. I was wrong!

After playing DmC Devil May Cry and beating the game on Nephilim difficulty (a.k.a. 'The Full DmC Experience' difficulty), I am very happy to write that Ninja Theory did an awesome job with this gem of a game, and also that I haven't had this much fun with a Hack Slasher since Ninja Gaiden. Additionally, I'm also happy to inform you that in my opinion this game undoubtedly feels 100% like a Devil May Cry title. Furthermore, I actually like Dante's new look, and Vergil as well. They're both really attractive to be honest (I'm attracted to pixels/polygons, I know, it's sad), and I'm sorry if I come across as shallow, but an attractive character in any game that I play increases the fun factor, as well as the immersiveness.

Graphics: In one word? Phenomenal. Everything from the environments, all the various NPCs, the weapons, Dante himself- I'm talking EVERYTHING is polished to near perfection. The Unreal Engine is masterfully put to great use here. The characters look, sound and feel alive. Their facial expressions, their eyes, and the voice acting is something to behold. Team Ninja did such a good job here that we're talking above and beyond the uncanny valley. Not to be outdone the dynamic lighting, dynamic shadows, the particle effects... I could go on and on. It's all breathtaking. Furthermore, the game is devoid of any screen tearing or framerate issues. It runs beautifuly and flawlessly (at least the Xbox 360 version does).

Sound: Outstanding. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. The music adds perfectly to the atmosphere. So much fantastic work went into creating the soundtrack for this game that it had to be released on three separate CDs. Also, the SFX is equally well done. Everything from the growl of a Tyrant, to the shriek of a Witch, to the boom of the Eryx all sound completely authentic, and all add to the atmosphere of the game, as well as the fun factor of kicking some demon ass.

Gameplay: As stated before, I haven't had this much fun since playing the first Ninja Gaiden (remake/reboot) on the original Xbox. The God of War games also come to mind. Either way, the game is incredibly fun, and you shouldn't be surprised if you find yourself still playing in the wee hours of the morning. From what I recall, there are either six or seven difficulty levels. There's A LOT of unlockables, not to mention achievements. If you're a completionist, this game will provide you easily with over 100 hours of gametime. Dante's list of moves are plenty, and they are really fun to combine into what could be an SSS rank combo. Team Ninja put a lot of work and effort into making sure this game never gets old, even long after you've beat it the first time.

Is it worth your time and money? Absolutely, and every penny.

For those of you wondering Ninja Theory has DLC (it's a couple bucks over here) which allows you to customize Dante's look, and you can get "Classic Dante" back with this option. There's a lot more DLC coming, including Vergil's campaign, and I can't wait because he has his own unique weapons and abilities. According to previews, his DLC titled, "Vergil's Downfall," will add at least 6 hours of unique gameplay to the game.

In closing, I'd like to say that this game is fantastic. As a hardcore Devil May Cry fan, someone who bought the first game when it was released in 2001 on the PlayStation 2 and has never stopped playing since, I LOVE this game. You don't even need to be a Devil May Cry fan, and I'm confident you'll still love this game.

9 10
  56. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I picked up DmC the other day over all the protests that I've heard about it on this site. Why? Because I took a look at it on youtube and watched some other people play it before I dismissed it as a bad game. Guess what? It's not. The combat is as enjoyable as you make it, like any of the other DMC games, there are a few different weapons to choose from, just like the other DMC games, and you decide which ones you like the best and learn to kick ass stylishly with them. There are only a few enemies where you are really limited to what you have to use and they are color-coded, so you're not at a loss as to what to do. The new Dante is a bit more snarky-skater-punk-hipster than the old Dante, who was a ninja turtle with white hair and a red jacket, so pick your poison as far as characters go, but let's face it; no one plays these games for the story, it's for the combat. The writing is not great, that's true. It's a little ham-fisted as far as a the evil propaganda news network goes, and they didn't steal a subplot just from They Live (which is really good and one of John Carpenter's best and you should watch it), but also from Futurama ("Fry and the Slurm Factory"), so that's unfortunate but, again, no one plays an action game for the story. Mario is a pretty stock platformer and no one is knocking nintendo for the "there's a princess, you're a good guy, what else do you need?" as a storyline. As far as the presentation of the game goes, it's decent for the game but a little forced into the "gritty reboot" corner for the story and the setting, but there are some fantastic levels that go outside that spectrum and really make the game look good such as the platforming sections inside Dante's mind and the Club level. There are even sections of the game in each level where they toss the camera into a corner or above him that are reminiscent of the old games and look damn good to boot. Fact is, most of these reviews are based on get-off-my-lawn nostalgia and not an accurate appraisal of the older games in the series. If this is a reboot, even as a one-off, it's a decent game in its own right. Don't trust the haters who just got an account to get a soapbox. Give it a look, give it a try. If you like action games of the hack and slash variety with just enough depth to give you some options, you'll probably like it. I do. Expand
  57. May 15, 2013
    Just ignore all fanboys and play the game!!! Everyone here on metacritic is just complaining at how bad it was, but it's actually really fun!! I admit, story is bad, but it makes sense, and the story was never a good part of the Devil May Cry universe anyway!

As for gameplay, it's got the same feel from the past games, even in 30fps, and the camera is never an issue. But this reboot does not have a lock-on control, making it seem that the guns Ebony and Ivory have minds of their own. Dodging is now easier compared to the past games!!!
    And I'm really pleased at how the weapon system was done, you still have Dante's Signature sword "The Rebellion" which works as the balanced weapon, and now you also have Angel and Devil weapons each with their own style, blue angel weapons deal quick light damage and cover more distance, and Demon weapons are the strong power house weapons. And you can easily and quickly use these weapons at your disposal by holding down either the left or right trigger.

But if you truly want to enjoy this game, you have to play it once, and then play it again ON SON OF SPARDA MODE!! The enemy A.I. is really easy, I was able to beat the game easily on the Nephilim difficulty, (And this is coming from a guy who never played the past DmC games till after this one, or even Beyonetta) the enemy A.I. are pretty slow and have many attack warnings, and I even found a goof that some of the enemy's won't attack you unless they're visible on camera. So I suggest playing this on Son of Sparda mode or Dante Must Die Mode! But overall great game, just treat all the other angry fanboys like the Demons in the game, ignore what they say and beat the crap out of them!
  58. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,aThis game is fantastic.. and i do mean fantastic! Best fighting out of the entire DMC series, bosses are great and fun to battle the story.. well there actually is a story unlike the other DMC games and theres no needlessly long puzzles its a 10/10 fighting game and a 10/10 DMC game.. All the haters are little **** pissed about the hair being short.. He doesn't act emo at all in the game,a patch of his hair turns white after he accquires demon form thats the explenation to why he has white hair in the others and its a decent one.. Do not listen to the idiots complaining about this game.. I never tought id say this but i agree with the reviewers way more compared to the public.. Expand
  59. Jul 10, 2016
    This is the best Slasher of 2013. Best gameplay of the series and fantastic
    atmosphere. One big minus is a characters and story, but story was never best side of the franchise.
  60. Jun 9, 2014
    Yes it takes a bit of a darker tone with Dante, but come on. The visuals are amazing, the voice acting is alright, the combat was awesome, and who could forget Combichrist! I can literally sum up what I loved most about the game with one word. Combichrist!
  61. Aug 9, 2016
    Devil May Cry uno de los juegos mas iconicos del PS2, por esa razón este juego obtuvo tanto hate por parte de los fans de Dante, se puede ver reflejado en la critica injusta de los usuarios, dividiendo a los fans en los que les gusto y a los que ni siquiera le dieron oportunidad. La verdad este juego logra ser impecable uno de los mejores Hack and Slash de la ultima década, un sistema deDevil May Cry uno de los juegos mas iconicos del PS2, por esa razón este juego obtuvo tanto hate por parte de los fans de Dante, se puede ver reflejado en la critica injusta de los usuarios, dividiendo a los fans en los que les gusto y a los que ni siquiera le dieron oportunidad. La verdad este juego logra ser impecable uno de los mejores Hack and Slash de la ultima década, un sistema de combate rápido y frenético, excelente soundtrack, buenos personajes y una trama seria en ocasiones muy bien lograda que a la vez parodia en forma de critica la sociedad actual, llena de empresarios y monopolios donde los medios de comunicación se encargan de desinformar a la gente. El nuevo Dante respeta demasiado al DMC 1 y DMC 3 siendo un chico inmaduro con gran sentido del humor. El reboot no era necesario, pero le sentó muy bien después de los mediocres Devil May Cry 4 y 2, ademas de lograr que el publico se interesa por la saga en general. Seria glorioso que Capcom mantuviera ambos universos. Excelente juego lo recomiendo seas o no fan de la saga. Expand
  62. Jan 19, 2013
    The words "Devil May Cry" hold a lot of meaning for me. Devil May Cry was the first game I ever played for the PS2, and I've enjoyed every game in the series since it (except the second entry; what a shocker). I know Dante as if he were my own brother. I've seen him grow up, grow up some more and even take a backseat to another **** little white-haired bastard. I understand every aspect ofThe words "Devil May Cry" hold a lot of meaning for me. Devil May Cry was the first game I ever played for the PS2, and I've enjoyed every game in the series since it (except the second entry; what a shocker). I know Dante as if he were my own brother. I've seen him grow up, grow up some more and even take a backseat to another **** little white-haired bastard. I understand every aspect of Dante as a character.

That's why it surprised me to hear some people complaining about the new Dante in DmC: Devil May Cry. He is the same Dante as before. He's just younger and more immature. Weren't we all that way once (I still am)? Don't get me wrong; I was shocked when I first saw Ninja Theory's new character design for Dante. Now that I've played the game, I get it. I see no problem with it.

I also see no problem with making Devil May Cry a little easier. I grew weary of getting my ass handed to me in the older games, which could be agonizingly frustrating at times, and "agonizingly frustrating" does not equal "fun". If that makes me any less of a gamer as I've seen some users on Metacritic stupidly point out, I apologize. The thing is, it doesn't. It's just yet another dumb observation by a bunch of idiots who shouldn't even be allowed to play video games.

Besides, DmC does stay true to its predecessors in the way that its combat is an absolute blast. I found myself getting all giddy when I nailed an especially impressive looking combo. I kept nailing cool combos throughout the game. It may have been because of my experience with the previous installments, or it may have been because of the lowered difficulty, but either way, it was awesome. The combat system is deep, satisfying and easily one of the best things about DmC.

It has tons going for it. It's very fast-paced and exciting. As the game progresses, Dante gains angel and demon weapons. What this basically means is that one type, the angel weapons, are assigned to the left trigger, and the other type, the demon weapons, to the right. It's a brilliant choice by Ninja Theory that allows players to mix things up by constantly swapping between each weapon type and Dante's firearms.

New enemy types are introduced throughout the game, forcing players to strategize. For example, one enemy type might only take damage from an angel weapon, and vice versa. This can be one of the game's biggest flaws at times due to the lack of a lock-on feature. I found myself aiming but hitting the wrong enemy type a lot of times, which was irritating. Thankfully, the lock-on has been replaced with a dodge button, which is a welcome addition to the series. It can stay right where it is, thank you very much.

Dante can also grapple toward enemies or pull them to him. This adds even more depth to an already broad combat system. He can also use his "grappling hook" to latch onto platforms in the environment. The platforming in DmC is kind of a letdown, but it has its moments. Still, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Ninja Theory changed it up a little bit in the inevitable sequel. It sometimes overshadows levels that are otherwise enjoyable.

Speaking of the levels, the environmental design in DmC is amazing. Dante has to make his way through a place known as Limbo, which is a world he gets pulled into for the majority of the story, and it's a world full of wonderfully grotesque and picturesque vistas. Limbo in and of itself is an enemy type. It really does seem as if the environments are trying to kill Dante. It was an ingenious decision on Ninja Theory's part to design the game in this manner. Exploration was my favorite part of DmC (and it often resulted in me getting a bad time rating at the end of the missions).

My least favorite part of DmC is definitely the story. It isn't really all that different from the stories in the other Devil May Crys. A bunch of incoherent crap happens and Dante says dumb stuff. That's about it. It attempts to make fun of society and FOX News, and all of that is funny at times, but it's utterly useless as a meaningful storytelling method. The character named Bob Barbas is essentially an exaggerated version of Bill O'Reilly, which means he runs his mouth a lot about nonsense nobody gives a damn about.

The story is at its best when it's exploring Dante's past and developing him as a character. Dante realizes before the end of the game that he may have a bigger purpose in life than lying around in a mobile home, boozing and sleeping with women. I chuckled at a few of Dante's unbelievably lame lines of dialogue, but a lot of them are just that--unbelievably lame and unfunny. It's one thing to spout off Schwarzenegger-esque lines like "You're fired"; it's quite another to brag about your penis being bigger than someone else's. That just emanates desperation.

DmC: Devil May Cry's strengths far outweigh its flaws. The story sucks, but the gameplay is great and the art style is better.
  63. Feb 23, 2013
    The user reviews are unfairly low for this game. The story and characters of this series have always been ridiculous, and this game is no different. If you honestly believed DMC 1-4 had a great story and characters, I am really embarrassed for you. It's a shame that this game isn't going to sell well because gameplay-wise, it's one of the best action games I've played in a long time. It isThe user reviews are unfairly low for this game. The story and characters of this series have always been ridiculous, and this game is no different. If you honestly believed DMC 1-4 had a great story and characters, I am really embarrassed for you. It's a shame that this game isn't going to sell well because gameplay-wise, it's one of the best action games I've played in a long time. It is incredibly polished and well balanced in contrast to many of the previous sequels, and I highly recommend it. Expand
  64. Feb 4, 2013
    I was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and characterI was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and character progression. You can also get his classic skin through cheap DLC if its that's part of the issue people have with him.The combat is as excellent and responsive as ever and its full of Holy combos and moments with flare and style. The evil media/corporation theme is very fitting this day in age so I enjoyed how it was delivered in this game. I mean, do people really think the owners of these major corporations and news stations are innocent little angels? Of course they aren't. So the story was fun and it made for some truly incredible set pieces that compliment the flashy combat. With great replay value, great graphics and art design, bloody palace (free) DLC coming soon and even more DLC on the way I cant recommend this game enough. To all fans of action games, buy this. Expand
  65. Jan 18, 2013
    As a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series. I thought this game would be decent at best but boy was i wrong i really really enjoyed this reboot. Everything is pretty much solid. I have no complaints about the game except for the overpowered axe and easiness of SSS. I have no idea why DmC is getting bashed so much. ITS A REBOOT!!!!!! You can't expect to have the same old Dante. I personallyAs a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series. I thought this game would be decent at best but boy was i wrong i really really enjoyed this reboot. Everything is pretty much solid. I have no complaints about the game except for the overpowered axe and easiness of SSS. I have no idea why DmC is getting bashed so much. ITS A REBOOT!!!!!! You can't expect to have the same old Dante. I personally have enjoyed the new Dante and this new take on DmC. Expand
  66. Jan 21, 2013
    My actual grade for DmC: Devil May Cry is an 8/10 but based on the average grade, this game could use all the help it can get. Even if you dislike this game it is still playable. A 0/10 game is unplayable, and downright disgusting. Dante is not as fun of a character in this game as he is in previous DmC games but he is not a horrible character. He has corny one liners and a very metalMy actual grade for DmC: Devil May Cry is an 8/10 but based on the average grade, this game could use all the help it can get. Even if you dislike this game it is still playable. A 0/10 game is unplayable, and downright disgusting. Dante is not as fun of a character in this game as he is in previous DmC games but he is not a horrible character. He has corny one liners and a very metal attitude with his combos. As for the combos well the auto-lock, while annoying, is not game breaking. You can seamlessly create awesome combos and even though that part is easy, as well as dodging, it is extremely satisfying. The platforming is the other part of the gameplay and is just as unique and fun as the combat. The music is fitting, the lip syncing is incredible, and the stages and bosses make you want to throw up a rainbow. What's left then the story? I don't want to spoil anything but it's sort of predictable but it is definitely a set up for a sequel so be ready for that. If you like brawlers and platforming then this is a fantastic way to start the new year of gaming off right. Expand
  67. Jan 23, 2013
    In response to negative reviews: "Slap in the face?" No. This content offends you? Why are you playing an M rated game? You're obviously not mature enough to handle the "offensive" content ,despite the context given in the story. Devs trying new things with a franchise is not a personal attack against gamers. This reboot is exactly what the franchise needs and I find it hard toIn response to negative reviews: "Slap in the face?" No. This content offends you? Why are you playing an M rated game? You're obviously not mature enough to handle the "offensive" content ,despite the context given in the story. Devs trying new things with a franchise is not a personal attack against gamers. This reboot is exactly what the franchise needs and I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually finished the game or paid attention to the story could be unsatisfied, let alone offended. Especially if they're a hardcore DMC fan. I get the feeling that many of these negative reviews are from the type of kids that were told they were special and exceptional as long as they "tried their best", and now they think the world owes them something because of some artificially inflated self image. GROW UP. Go buy another call of duty or guitar hero game if you want a franchise that never changes. The core question remains: is the game fun? Just enough was iterated on in this installment to keep the gameplay fresh, but the core elements of DMC remain in tact. They still have the mission structure, with secret rooms, scoring based on style during combat, and improving abilities that allow access to other areas of the map for second and third new game plus playthroughs. We've still got the cheesy dialogue, but much of the gothic feel from DMC 1 and 2 has given way to grittiness. The goofy cheeseball Dante of DMC 3 has been replaced by more of a brooding rebel in search of revenge. Like any good story, we see change in the main character through the conflict. We see this play out in the storyline which has Dante exploring what happened to his parents, and subsequently what happened to him and his brother. This resets us to the starting point of DMC 1 potentially, but in the current technological era. The excellent grab mechanic from DMC 4 has been included and improved upon. The art style of the game is gorgeous and reminds me of the excellent game "Enslaved", only MUCH prettier and that's saying a lot. There is a lot of artistic expression that plays out through the traversal and combat scenarios in limbo. Many of these are super exciting to play and really engaging. Overall Ninja Theory has done a great job of breathing new life into this franchise. It will satisfy newcomers to DMC and older folks like myself who appreciate artistic expression and creativity in sequels. Games like this move the industry forward. Games are for adults now, they're not just toys and if that's what you want, go pull out your Wii or plastic guitar. Expand
  68. Jan 26, 2013
    Don't let this LOW user score bother you. The haters can hate. but damn the action is badass, and the story is mildly engaging, and in the end, you can look past its minor flaws. For those unfamiliar with the genre, this is an excellent game to start out with, and anyone should give it a try.
  69. Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, first off, to hell with anyone who gave this game below a five. Most of you guys wrote the review on the day of release. my thoughts? they all are a preemptive assault to try to slander what is a GREAT game. so please, you are a coherent human being, avoid the hooting dick-holes. and to said hooting dick-holes; grow up and off.

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top

REVIEW TIME: this is an AWESOME game. over the top action and furious style are dealt in spades here. absolutely stunning level design and combo chaining the likes of which the DMC 3 and 4 have trouble contending. if you're a fan of the series, give it a go. the aesthetic ma be different but the game is all DMC all the time.
  70. Apr 27, 2013
    I will admit, I never played any of the original DMC games but there's something people seem to forget. This is a REBOOT! The team that worked on this wanted to make the game in their own vision and wanted to use this game as a way for new people (like me) to get into the series, and I believe they succeeded.

I NEVER cared about DMC until I played this game, the gameplay was really fun

I NEVER cared about DMC until I played this game, the gameplay was really fun and fast paced, the story was just okay but I was told that DMC was not mostly known for it's story anyway and I thought the boss battles were excellent. I played and replayed this game multiple times. It's not the greatest game I ever played but it definitely got me interested in the series so that's a win.
  71. Jul 30, 2013
    When i first started playing DMC it was a while back when 4 came out. I played and got hooked. I bought the H-D collection which had 1,2, and 3 and they were fun. Then I heard of this DMC and I was excited. Then i bought it and I only have 1 major gripe with the game. No lock on. WHY NOT? but it is cool looking and the graphics were cool and i know I will get a lot of s!@# for this but iWhen i first started playing DMC it was a while back when 4 came out. I played and got hooked. I bought the H-D collection which had 1,2, and 3 and they were fun. Then I heard of this DMC and I was excited. Then i bought it and I only have 1 major gripe with the game. No lock on. WHY NOT? but it is cool looking and the graphics were cool and i know I will get a lot of s!@# for this but i like the new Dante more than the old one. Expand
  72. Aug 16, 2014
    In my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and IIn my opinion, the most important thing in a game is the gameplay, and I liked that in this game. It is true that the story is not very interesting and it gets boring at some parts, but I do not care about it, because the gameplay makes me feel that I am "The Boss". I finished the game like four times because I wanted to play every game difficulty and complete every secondary mission and I did not get tired. Expand
  73. Mar 10, 2013
    Great game, good story and excellent combat. Don't believe the "fan's" negative reviews, but try it and you will be not disappointed. Trust me, i did the same and has 70 hours gameplay now.
  74. Mar 20, 2013
    THE GOOD: GAMEPLAY- Combat is a blast throughout the game, which is in part do to new weapons being added to your arsenal at consistent intervals. Switching between those weapons mid combo is fluid. The amount of platforming feels appropriate and is enjoyable.
    Graphics- Probable the best part of the game (which is often a bad sign) is the graphics. This game is beautiful to behold, especially while Dante is in limbo. THE BAD:
    Characters and Story- I might be in the minority, but I enjoyed Dante. He is juvenile and kinda of a tool, but it made for a memorable and sometimes funny character. His character progression is awful. They failed to show me why he began to care about what was going on in the story or why he didn't care to begin with. All they had was the revalation of his parents past, but it wasn't very impactful as it should have been. The rest of the characters boring and forgettable. Same thing goes for the story, which is a shame since this is a prequel/reboot, and was a prime opportunity to hook people on the world and mythos of Devil May Cry.
    CONCLUSION- Even for its faults this game was fun from beginning to end and does not deserve the user scores it is getting on here. Although the developer could have avoided much of this hate if they took more care paying homage to the previous games of this series in its gameplay and especially it's story and characters
  75. Jan 31, 2013
    This is an amazing game. The jump and run action is fun, the combat is fun as always in a DMC game. You have everything you had before plus amazing art. The environment changes all the time and is vibrant and alive. This game really set the tone for what I would be expecting in the future from game makers. I want a rich experience with the surroundings, the visual side of what DMC hasThis is an amazing game. The jump and run action is fun, the combat is fun as always in a DMC game. You have everything you had before plus amazing art. The environment changes all the time and is vibrant and alive. This game really set the tone for what I would be expecting in the future from game makers. I want a rich experience with the surroundings, the visual side of what DMC has shown on that regard seems unparalleled. The soundtrack is also quite good and regardless of what the hipster fans of dmc 1 and 3 will tell you the story and the characters are great and better even! Collapse
  76. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't believe the hate. This game is awesome - Ninja Theory have changed a few major bits and pieces, but overall DmC is a better game for it. They've revived and breathed new life into a franchise that had grown stale, and was looking like it was sure to be a relic of the previous generation of consoles. Even with the changes, the game still FEELS like a Devil May Cry game. The characters feel fleshed out, and Dante seems to have a lot more depth in this new story. Giving deeper meaning to his relationship with Vergil is also one of the best parts of the game. And for the people who are complaining about the way Dante looks... He ends up looking more like the character we know by the end of the game. Seeing him take this transition from how he looks at the start, to how he looks at the end, has a great effect on the character. This is an origin story in every sense - Dante becomes more and more powerful, until he becomes something resembling the white haired character we know. His physical transformation (even if it's mainly just his hair) emphasizes the change in the character that takes place throughout the game. This isn't just Ninja Theory pissing off fans. Every decision they have makes sense for the game they have created.

The framework for the story has given Ninja Theory the opportunity to design some awesome levels, that offers some "best in class" scripted moments. DmC keeps things fresh by constantly giving you interesting locales to hack and slash through - from an area that takes place within a reflection (causing everything to appear upside down) to a level that takes place within the motion graphics of a News channel. This is the most innovative DMC has been since the first game came out.

What people have to understand is that Capcom were pretty much done with the old DMC. They had no idea what to do with the franchise as it was. All of the people complaining about this reboot were NEVER going to get a traditional DMC sequel, as Capcom saw no reason to make it. It was either they make a reboot, or they make nothing at all. I'd rather they try and keep the franchise going with a reboot, than forget about it forever. It's just a bonus that the game they created for this reboot happens to be one of the best action adventure games of this generation.
  77. Jan 15, 2013
    Coming from a long time DMC fan this game is great. Sure i had my doubts like many others after hearing ninja theory was rebooting the series. And boy was i wrong this game turned out to be awesome. Combat is great (on par with dmc 3 but different style, still jc is in) and the story is a good start to this new franchise. Can't wait to see what they have in store for DmC 2!!!
  78. wou
    Jan 16, 2013
    incrivel como vagabundo ta chorando até agora só por causa do cabelo do dante, que por sinal ficou bem mais homenzinho, ja que aquela franja branca era MUUUITO emo

amazing how ta bum crying until now only because of dante's hair, which by the way was much little man, ja white fringe that that was sooo emo
  79. Jan 21, 2013
    I was feeling a little sceptical initially as a result of the controversy surrounding its release. I cancelled my pre-order but I am very glad that I gave into my curiosity and bought it. It was fast paced, and consistently exciting, the surroundings revolved around me and were great to look at. I absolutely love the vibrant colour palate used and I found myself playing for hours on end. II was feeling a little sceptical initially as a result of the controversy surrounding its release. I cancelled my pre-order but I am very glad that I gave into my curiosity and bought it. It was fast paced, and consistently exciting, the surroundings revolved around me and were great to look at. I absolutely love the vibrant colour palate used and I found myself playing for hours on end. I quite like Dante's new look and raw attitude and the combat is so fluent and fun. I found myself striving to pull off perfect combos and experimenting regularly in the training mode. My only criticism with the game is the occasional issue with texture popping during the cinematic scenes, but it was a very minor issue. One of the best and most addictive games I've played in a while. Thank you very much Ninja theory. Keep up the good work. Expand
  80. Jan 27, 2013
    Just because Dnate changed his haird doesn't mean you should bash on the game this much. Here is a link to a longer review
  81. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  82. Jul 24, 2013
    Devil may cry 4 was a HUGE flop, they MUST reboot the story, and the new style is AMAZING.
    The gameplay is pure fun,
    all the weapons are useful, not like in the others, when you can play ONLY with a sword.
  83. Jan 19, 2014
    Quick lesson on me. 1: I've played all 4 of the previous Devil May Cry games. 2: I've beaten and liked 1-3 (finished 1 at least 10 times)

When playing this game with the other games in mind you must remember one important thing: you play Devil May Cry games for the action, not the story. And personally, I believe DmC is amazing when it comes to the action. The story and characters arent absolutely terrible like many believe. The art style for the game is actually pretty interesting and I like it a bit.

Like I said earlier, you play for the action in this series. Really, I believe the action is the best in this game out of all 5 of the games in the series. When you fight a large amount of enemies it is fun and exhilarating. The tracks that play during the fights add to feel of kicking ass in my opinion. When you get a new weapon you feel awesome and want to just destroy everything. I like the way to combat system works and I believe it is done well here. There are only a few exceptions where I feel the game is a bit unfair (Im looking at you Tyrants and the final boss!) but besides that it doesnt feel like you are out-matched when fighting. It feels nice when you hit a bunch of enemies and watch your combo meter skyrocket.

For a hack-n-slash fighting game it does it's job well and pretty amazingly I would have to say. It's my favorite Devil May Cry game in the series when it comes to the action (you know, that thing Dmc games are known for). When I first played this game, it reeled me in with it's high octane fighting and soundtrack. I ended up not putting down the game until I finished it. It's a great game for people who like simple hack-n-slash with a little secret collecting.
  84. Jun 26, 2014
    This is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judgingThis is a fantastic game. The game play is amazing. The level design is one of the best I've ever seen. The only criticism I have for this game is that it was on the easier side, for the first play through at least. The difficulty of course ramps up as the harder modes are unlocked. As for the characters, I for one liked them but i'm guessing that many didn't that's why they are judging this game entirely on subjective terms. Expand
  85. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, noOk the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, no intention of buying it honestly, saw it was a new revamp of dmc so i picked it up, i regret buying skyrim, gears 3 and halo 4 more than i do dmc, worth the $65. Expand
  86. Feb 7, 2013
    The first original devil may cry was my very first ps2 game back in the the day. I always remember how great it played and it looked fantastic. My expectations were lower back then and when dmc2 arrived I was quite disappointed, then the third installment was a bit better followed by the dreary 4th. Then news of a reboot surfaced and I wasn't that interested as my interest in the seriesThe first original devil may cry was my very first ps2 game back in the the day. I always remember how great it played and it looked fantastic. My expectations were lower back then and when dmc2 arrived I was quite disappointed, then the third installment was a bit better followed by the dreary 4th. Then news of a reboot surfaced and I wasn't that interested as my interest in the series had gone. I watched a few videos and read comments from everyone moaning about the new Dante and how the game looked. n vtime I just realised thatit finally, I was hooked. It's slick, funny and impressive these were fans who couldn't let go. When I played it I was well impressed. People seriously have to get over it and accept that its a brilliant solid game Expand
  87. Sep 17, 2013
    Seeing the bad score i had to write a little bit on my own.

I played some of the older DmC games, but none realy that extensively. I like dante´s new look of, the action is great, the music is awesome like the best game soundtrack i can think of right now) the jokes are actually kind of funny, the story is not toooo bad. Compared to other games of the prox genre playing Asura´s
    Seeing the bad score i had to write a little bit on my own.

I played some of the older DmC games, but none realy that extensively.
    I like dante´s new look of, the action is great, the music is awesome like the best game soundtrack i can think of right now) the jokes are actually kind of funny, the story is not toooo bad. Compared to other games of the prox genre playing Asura´s Wrath now, or what was that Resident-Evil-kinda Ninja game called?? I LOOVE the lack of QuickTimeEvents All in all a very enjoyable game and there is no way it deserves a 4.9 rating
  88. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels moreThis game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels more British to me. I enjoyed the characters and have played all the old games. If you enjoy beat em ups this game is going to be right up your ally. Don't listen to all the hate about his hair not being white, besides when you beat the game you also unlock his old costume, so play on the hardest difficulty with the old costume and it'll be just like the old DMC games, everybody wins. Expand
  89. Jan 16, 2013
    The games story is overall boring and uninteresting, but the characters, the bosses, the level design is very good loving the art style too. The combat while not as deep as the others is very fun and still has a deep level you can take it too. Even the platforming type sections with the whips is fun, to the point were i feel like spiderman. exploration, hidden keys, collectibles thisThe games story is overall boring and uninteresting, but the characters, the bosses, the level design is very good loving the art style too. The combat while not as deep as the others is very fun and still has a deep level you can take it too. Even the platforming type sections with the whips is fun, to the point were i feel like spiderman. exploration, hidden keys, collectibles this feels like a DMC. i really like the passing of the levels they way it changes in real time, the addition of the training mode is good aswell. I dont think its the best DMC but by no means is it the worse. Give it a shot and you may like it Expand
  90. Jan 15, 2013
    What i'm loving about this game is how it's not just a button basher like previous games in the series, this time you have to use your brain and think to pull off that perfect combo. I'm constantly trying to get the 'A' rating each and every time and it feels so rewarding when i do. It's insanely hard on the hardest difficulty setting, just one hit and your dead, so i've dropped it down toWhat i'm loving about this game is how it's not just a button basher like previous games in the series, this time you have to use your brain and think to pull off that perfect combo. I'm constantly trying to get the 'A' rating each and every time and it feels so rewarding when i do. It's insanely hard on the hardest difficulty setting, just one hit and your dead, so i've dropped it down to medium setting for the time being. I'll give anyone who completes this game on the hardest setting a cookie because you deserve it if you do lol. Expand
  91. Jan 19, 2013
    Dante ist tot, es lebe Dante. Zugegeben, es war ein gewagter Schritt von Ninja Theory das Devil May Cry Franchise zu rebooten, doch das ganze hat sich gelohnt
  92. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  93. Jan 21, 2013
    DMC 5 is probably the best game in the entire series... fluid gameplay... excellent graphics and creative level designing...... story is short but pretty good ........ overall this game is AWESOME....
  94. Feb 14, 2013
    Let me start by saying I never played any other devil may cry( I know). Now that that is out of the way. This game is a fantastic action game with a great story amazing visuals. The weapons you get are fun easy to use but complicated at the same time. Stinging combos together to try and get a ss score is gratifying and frustrating all in one. The world you are is beautiful and engrossing ILet me start by saying I never played any other devil may cry( I know). Now that that is out of the way. This game is a fantastic action game with a great story amazing visuals. The weapons you get are fun easy to use but complicated at the same time. Stinging combos together to try and get a ss score is gratifying and frustrating all in one. The world you are is beautiful and engrossing I found myself just looking around. I would recommend this to any action genre fan Expand
  95. Jan 18, 2013
    Seeing how people are giving this game bad reviews makes me wonder if they actually played the game or they are fanboys that are upset because they "changed Dante." Relax, people! The game is indeed good! The visuals are impressively colorful, the combat is smooth and fast-paced, the voice-acting....well, some of the voice-acting is good to decent, the music fits the atmosphere, theSeeing how people are giving this game bad reviews makes me wonder if they actually played the game or they are fanboys that are upset because they "changed Dante." Relax, people! The game is indeed good! The visuals are impressively colorful, the combat is smooth and fast-paced, the voice-acting....well, some of the voice-acting is good to decent, the music fits the atmosphere, the character designs are good (making you feel like they are in a chaotic world), some of the one-liners in the game are actually good (when said right), the replayability is good (since you can go back with your abilities and find the secrets) and the story is somewhat interesting. But there are only three problems I can see when playing the game. One of them is the targeting system. When fighting a group of enemies, the game will target an enemy you didn't want to attack. It gets kind of annoying when you are trying your best not to die in the game. The second thing is the repetitiveness of levels. Don't get me wrong, the levels are colorful and impressive in every way, but sometimes I feel like the developers were copying some designs on one level and pasting them some others while giving them a different paint job. The final complaint is the voice of Dante. Portrayed by the actor, Tim Phillips, I was expecting for him to do a good job, but listening to him made me sigh with some discomfort. But when he says some one-liners, I chuckle every now and then, but hearing him swear over and over, it made me want to mute the TV. In short of the new voice, I only liked 30% of his dialogue, but wished that they used the person who voiced Dante in the anime series. At least that guy attempted to sound like Dante. In conclusion, the goods outweigh the bad and the game is a nice little change for the Devil May Cry series. But they should at least put Lady and Trish in it. Then it would have been even better. Expand
  96. Jan 20, 2013
    I finished DmC a few minutes ago and I have to say, it was a really solid game! I love the earlier Devil May Cry-s as well and this is definitely quite different, but it's also pretty great. The combat was fun, the levels were inventive, the music was SO much better. The plot was pretty much stolen from "They Live" but it worked pretty well in the game. All in all I recommend it highly!
  97. HMK
    Jan 26, 2013
    DmC is a re-imagining of the Devil May Cry series, after getting a lot of negative reaction in 2010, I can tell you right away that you don
  98. Jan 27, 2013
    When I first saw the trailer for the new Game i was disappointed With what Ninja Theory changed but I held on to the hope that they would excel at the one thing that the series is known for "The Gameplay" if they Fraked that up all the Hate wouldn't be misplaced, but Luckily the Action Measures up very well to the rest of the series even better in some ways, this game is much moreWhen I first saw the trailer for the new Game i was disappointed With what Ninja Theory changed but I held on to the hope that they would excel at the one thing that the series is known for "The Gameplay" if they Fraked that up all the Hate wouldn't be misplaced, but Luckily the Action Measures up very well to the rest of the series even better in some ways, this game is much more approachable than any of its predecessors.
    "The Story" is the Generic "Dante must save Humanity from being enslaved by the Forces of Hell," nothing special.
    "The Presentation," this game runs on the Unreal Engine so there's alot of texture pop-in if you played Gears of War you'll know what i mean, the overall look of the game is awsome, all the combat take place in "Limbo," a world parallel to ours where the demons inhabit, where the Laws of Physics don't have meaning, making any area that Dante is dragged into Limbo from Interesting. "Overall" the Game is a Success, The characters may not be as likable than in the last games, but the Action & the Environments of Limbo are a solid step towards a bright future for the series.
    This is a safe buy... I give DMC: Devil May Cry an 8/10.
  99. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into.At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. The overall story kept me engaged and the climax blew me away. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Expand
  100. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little toThe people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  101. Jan 31, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.