5.0

1. Jan 26, 2013
    I have beaten both DMC1 and DMC3 (the original!) on Donte Must Die mode. I have beaten Ninja Gaiden SIgma on master ninja mode. God hand, Bayonetta, all owned and conquered. These games are all highly skill based difficulty, not cheap. I say this to let you know where I come from. DmC deserves a place in their hierarchy.
    1. Lets talk about FUN. The game is fun! The combo's are
    1. Lets talk about FUN. The game is fun! The combo's are not button mashers, each weapon is designed for a specific purpose, and yet, one can still find unique combinations for excellent demon slaying. Weapons are not only for damage, but excellent crowd control tactics as well. Its excellent and accessible. Accessible does NOT mean easy. Do not judge the game's difficulty on its nephilim mode. I would consider this "normal mode" Most of your negative critics here are judging it on that. The difficulty of the game is about your skill, not cheap enemy moves. The next difficulty mode, Sons of Sparda, speeds up enemy reaction time, aggresiveness, and begins to combine the enemies in new ways. 2. Enemies are a joy to face btw. There's nothing as good as the cats from DMC1, but the enemies are mostly varied, have a weakness to exploit, well animated, and entertaining to fight. While there aren't many bosses, they are entertaining in their own right, and I can see them becoming much more difficult as the difficulty raises. Hell and Hell mode, where Donte dies in one hit, (without using super Donte) may go down as one of the crowning achievements a gamer can accomplish. 3. The game's platforming is a little to be desired. Its repeated a little too often, and is dodgy on "swing" detection" at times. Still, its nothing horrible. As for the story, WHO CARES. Its a game, and a DMC game at that. The story has always been crap. This one isn't really that bad either. You'll watch it on your first playthrough, then skip it as you begin to tackle the real challenge the game has to offer on higher difficulty.
    TLDR If you like fun, accessible, skill based action games that have varrying difficulty for all types of players, GO GET IT NOW.
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    The people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little toThe people rating this sub 5's and such are being incredibly close minded. Majority of their hatred is stemming from a knee jerk reaction to the changes made to the characters and not to the game itself in anyway. Anyone who calls this game a step backwards in terms of story is already lying to themselves. I loved the old DMC's, I really did. But let's be honest here, they had little to zero storyline and the characters had very little fleshing out done to justify their motives and ideals beyond the most basic.

Now step into DmC, a world where Dante looks slightly different, but still in my opinion retains his **** charm. What's important however, is now not only is he arrogant, ****, and ridiculously powerful giving you that "I'm a badass" feeling, but he's also got some measure of depth. Dante in DmC now shows off characteristics that suggest he does think, and feel, beyond the relentless drive to kill demons for fun. He's now a complicated character who faces tough moral decisions to protect humanity or follow the only family he has left. I also greatly enjoy the fact they're embracing the Nephilim concept, something that was always there but never realized fully.

All in all I'd say the game is very solid. It improves over old DMC's where it should. Weapons feel better and stronger. Combat is more fluid than it's ever been. The level design is AMAZINGLY good. Boss battles all feel epic and have interesting mechanics. Though I think they could have seen some improvements. The upgrading system is lengthy and offers many of the old favorites, along with some new. The item system is much same as past with similar things to pick from. Sound quality is good. I know some people aren't happy to see a reboot, changing up a formula that was successful, however shallow it may have been. However, if you're honest with yourself for a minute I'll say the old DMCs didn't pull you in for story, characters, or depth. It was purely about the combat, the styling combos, the over the top action, etc.. and the new DmC has all of those things and does it better than past games have. Now its joined by a storyline that, while not perfect, makes a ton more sense than old games, a main character who actually has depth, a meaningful reason to oppose Vergil (who's not already dead), and the basis for a series of games that could only get better. I support this reboot whole heartedly despite all my previous reservations based on the trailers and screenshots I'd seen in past.
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    To start this review im going to be honest when i first heard about this game being a reboot i was not happy i like many had become attached to dante and the old games.I have been keeping an eye on it though in the months leading to its release and i pre-ordered it and got it on release day and was blown away the fighting system feels fresh but also familiar.The way the story has elementsTo start this review im going to be honest when i first heard about this game being a reboot i was not happy i like many had become attached to dante and the old games.I have been keeping an eye on it though in the months leading to its release and i pre-ordered it and got it on release day and was blown away the fighting system feels fresh but also familiar.The way the story has elements from the old games and changed them making it feel fresh and i like the addition of 2 realms the real world and limbo where you get taken to fight the demons and the edition of the training system makes it easier to learn the new combos .To end this review this is a fantastic game that everyone should try and capcom and ninja theory should feel proud of what they have produced welldone Expand
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    When this game was first announced as a reboot by Ninja Theory...I as a HUGE Devil May Cry fan was furious at the direction they took with the game and had convinced myself this game would be a joke and a failure. I wasnt even interested in downloading the demo when it came out, but I began to see many different opinions ... some praising it, others bashing it. I decided to do myself aWhen this game was first announced as a reboot by Ninja Theory...I as a HUGE Devil May Cry fan was furious at the direction they took with the game and had convinced myself this game would be a joke and a failure. I wasnt even interested in downloading the demo when it came out, but I began to see many different opinions ... some praising it, others bashing it. I decided to do myself a favor and just give it a chance and put aside my preconceived notions of the game. The Demo was amazing, and I felt very silly about having bashed this game so much before it was even detailed in the media.

I have played the full game, and all I can say is, I am extremely disappointed in myself for not giving this game the benefit of the doubt from the beginning.

This reboot even got the original DMC creator's seal of approval, and mine as well as a HUGE fan of the series. If you're a GAMER, and you want to play a fun game with a fluid combat system and humorous dialogue then you need to pick this game up.

DONT PAY ATTENTION TO THE 0 VOTES, I'D WAGER MOST OF THEM ARE MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS AND ILLEGITIMATE, THE GAME IS GOOD!.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    I think DmC devil may cry is exactly what the series needed !! I am a hardcore fan of this series and have enjoyed all the games !!! I think the combat is made simpler yet brutal and is lots of fun. ! I think the story is one of its strongest assets and it gives fans more insight in to dante's background and is realy intresting. Everything about this REBOOT is awesome . NUF SAID. I wouldI think DmC devil may cry is exactly what the series needed !! I am a hardcore fan of this series and have enjoyed all the games !!! I think the combat is made simpler yet brutal and is lots of fun. ! I think the story is one of its strongest assets and it gives fans more insight in to dante's background and is realy intresting. Everything about this REBOOT is awesome . NUF SAID. I would like to say that it is gamers like you guys who is killing the video game industry !! If you dont like the game because its a REBOOT (which means its a new take on the series ) then dont hate on it ! Ninja theory made an execellent game and should not be hated because some whiny little gamers want the old dante back. If game stayed the same we would never get innovative games like dishonored ordark souls. This series needed a REBOOT and i hope that this series will continue and that ninja theory and the public will ignore the dumb biased and objective reviews . Collapse
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wantedQuite simply one of the best games of the generation. Relentlessly fast-paced action with cool, relatable characters that will make you laugh, cry and cheer. Dante, our main character, is an edgy, memorable individual who doesn't care about anyone but himself. This makes him an outcast that anyone who's ever had a bit of a 'loner' streak about them will instantly relate to. Have you wanted to scream at the world to *bleep* off? Then this is a character for you. Virgil is anything brilliantly written character, seemingly a cool, calm and collected person he later shows a darker side in his pursuit for freedom. Much like a roller coaster, this ride isn't for children and pregnant women. Only mature gamers such as myself should go on this white-knuckle adventure through purgatory! You would be doing yourself a massive disservice by not buying this game (which has some DLC I already can't wait for!) because of some entitled individuals who can't see the woods for the trees due to their blind rage over something that is different from what they are used to. Give this game a chance. Expand
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    What i'm loving about this game is how it's not just a button basher like previous games in the series, this time you have to use your brain and think to pull off that perfect combo. I'm constantly trying to get the 'A' rating each and every time and it feels so rewarding when i do. It's insanely hard on the hardest difficulty setting, just one hit and your dead, so i've dropped it down toWhat i'm loving about this game is how it's not just a button basher like previous games in the series, this time you have to use your brain and think to pull off that perfect combo. I'm constantly trying to get the 'A' rating each and every time and it feels so rewarding when i do. It's insanely hard on the hardest difficulty setting, just one hit and your dead, so i've dropped it down to medium setting for the time being. I'll give anyone who completes this game on the hardest setting a cookie because you deserve it if you do lol. Expand
  8. Jan 15, 2013
    everyone needs to relax and come to one simple question when playing this game: Is it fun? The short answer is, unequivocally, YES. Long answer?
    The game is NOT perfect, do not be the first person to pretend it is. At the same time, its a well done game by a good studio, and while it may not go over the heights of the previous franchise, its still a damn good game. Hell, even the creator of Devil May Cry has gone to bat for the developer to say this is a good game and is treated with respect. If anyone is allowed to have an opinion, its him.
    Overall, the gameplay is a ton of fun, and while styles could've been nice to implement here, who knows, maybe in a future installment we can see this.
    The point of this review is that the haters you see in the comment section below have NOT played the game or if they did, they only did so to complain here. They are not the real fans since they are so butthurt over the new look of Dante. And while I miss the old Dante, this is a RE-IMAGINING, not a sequel/prequel. Give the game an honest go, and you will see that the gameplay as well as the story are both fun and memorable. Don't listen to the idiots on this site and try to judge a game for yourself before you knock this one off of your list. My biggest complaint, however is the lock on [which isnt perfect] as well as how over the top the story segments can be.
    However, everyone in the reviewing-game biz can see this is a well-done game [hell Famitsu gave it a 34 out of 40, and we know how hard it is to please them].

so, be a open minded individual, don't give into the hate [which people did before the game even came out] and judge it for yourself. You will be surprised at how much fun you can have. Be honest and you will enjoy this game for what it is. :) This is a good game for any fan AS LONG AS YOU TRY TO HAVE FUN and ENJOY THE GAME FOR WHAT IT IS [a re-imagining with great gameplay, nothing more]
  9. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a fantastic game. I recommend it without any sort of reservation. It's just pure unadulterated fun. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and the character action aint half bad either.
  10. Jan 15, 2013
    A surprisingly decent story,combined with excellent and stylish combat,and an awesome soundtrack make DMC a great reboot and a step forward.I especially enjoyed Dante's rejection of the mop-head,but thought it was too careless or too careful to alienate fans that way(players choice). It didn't bother this long time fan and I enjoyed the dozen hours this took to finish the first run.TheA surprisingly decent story,combined with excellent and stylish combat,and an awesome soundtrack make DMC a great reboot and a step forward.I especially enjoyed Dante's rejection of the mop-head,but thought it was too careless or too careful to alienate fans that way(players choice). It didn't bother this long time fan and I enjoyed the dozen hours this took to finish the first run.The harder difficulties are much appreciated though as the first run-through was waaay too easy on the toughest available difficulty.The controls,though initially tricky,only require a modicrum of practise which I actually didn't mind too much.I had a great deal of fun anyway.The Icing on the cake is the fact that a ton of haters complained,bought it and then complained again.That's almost too too funny .Almost... Expand
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    What can I say about Devil May Cry? It's a game I received early and I've been playing it sense. It has a ton of depth and detail that really surprises me on a level that no game has in a long time. To make this short and sweet, this is possibly one of the greatest games of all time.

You are Dante, the demon killer, a hero and voice of the voiceless. You go through over 15 action packed and intense missions as him and the more you play as him the more you realize the subtle brilliance of his character and dialogue and just simply how bad ass he is. I'll say no more, but he's certainly better than a certain wannabe geezer.

The gameplay is and as a huge action junkie who buys EVERY action game I see I can say it's easily the most refined combat I've ever faced. Lock on is totally unnecessary when everything is so damn fluid. Some of the boss encounters are simply one of the greatest moments in gaming history and you'll be blown away by them. The graphics are some of the best detailed, I mean the limbo moments are simply mind blowing! And there's a level that's COMPLETELY LIKE A NEWS BROADCAST! I won't say more, but I can say I was NOT disappointed in that.

And finally the sound design. The dubstep, as a personal huge fan of the genre the game does it total justice and the music makes me want to buy 10 soundtrack CDs just so I can share it with my friends.

In closing, I loved this game. I wasn't that big of a fan of the original series but this reboot did it total justice. You would be a fool if you would let this pass up.
  12. Jan 15, 2013
    Coming from a long time DMC fan this game is great. Sure i had my doubts like many others after hearing ninja theory was rebooting the series. And boy was i wrong this game turned out to be awesome. Combat is great (on par with dmc 3 but different style, still jc is in) and the story is a good start to this new franchise. Can't wait to see what they have in store for DmC 2!!!
  13. Jan 26, 2013
    The game is better than I expected, even with a different Dante, the development team has made a great work. It´s not fair to say that the game is worse than the previous ones, some elements have improved in this game.
  14. HMK
    Jan 26, 2013
    DmC is a re-imagining of the Devil May Cry series, after getting a lot of negative reaction in 2010, I can tell you right away that you don
  15. Feb 2, 2013
    Don't be fooled by what most of people have said, this is one of the best action games of this year. The story is WAY deeper than ANY other Devil May Cry game, with a huge replay value, the combos are more stylish, controls are easier to deal with and the graphics are just stunning. The characters are also more believable, thanks to one of the Ninja Theory's specialties their incredibleDon't be fooled by what most of people have said, this is one of the best action games of this year. The story is WAY deeper than ANY other Devil May Cry game, with a huge replay value, the combos are more stylish, controls are easier to deal with and the graphics are just stunning. The characters are also more believable, thanks to one of the Ninja Theory's specialties their incredible motion-capture work. Even if you are an old DMC fan, i'm sure you will be pretty satisfied with this title. 10/10, for sure. Expand
  16. Feb 4, 2013
    I really recommend this game, it have a good story, great places.

If you are a fan of Devil May Cry, you should give it a try because is a really fun game, you will play it several times. Don't pay attention to the people says, you should buy it or rent it if you want.
    I'm a great fan of this saga and i have never complain about the characters, so yes play it
  17. Feb 8, 2013
    One of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console toOne of the main things I would like to point out in this review is that my opinion of this game would be lower if there were more AAA-quality games available on the Xbox that fit into the same sub-genre as this game such as Bayonetta. To me, DmC: Devil May Cry stands as one of the best "character action" games on 360, but it does not surpass the absolute best offerings on the console to date such as DMC4 or Bayonetta, partially due to the broken style system. I enjoyed this game overall more than Ninja Gaiden II, but the mechanics of NGII's combat system were also obviously superior to this game. I've never been skilled enough to consistently achieve SSS combos in any previous DMC game, and I'm ok with that. At the time of writing this review, I've completed all the DMC's except 3 (I had traded my PS2 for an original Xbox before that came out or I would have played it too) on the "Normal" (aka Devil Hunter) difficulty. In DmC 5, however, SSS combos (NOT overall level rankings) can be achieved by pretty much anyone who knows how to button-mash their way through any simple hack-and-slash game. Similarly, if you don't care about your rank, you can cheese your way through huge sections of the campaign with minimal effort, though a few of the boss fights will force you to exhibit some skill to beat, although they all revolve around extremely predictable patterns involving swinging between a few platforms with one of your two seperate types of grappling hooks while the boss will probably be trying to vomit on you or something like that. Most of the levels look incredible, and I like how they are all based on twisted versions of everyday places such as a carnival, nightclub, factory, etc. but the actual map layouts are bland, and there's so much platforming this could almost be considered a platformer with melee combat. The lack of lock-on made me curse alot as the game miserably tried to "predictively" select the enemy I wanted to shoot with guns and/or grappling hooks. I love the soundtrack in DmC, but then again I am into industrial metal music, and I do realize that a lot of people aren't. The game even suprised me by featuring a few songs that I have had in regular rotation on my MP3 player, which is rare for me since most games either have epic movie-style soundtracks, or just boring licensed garbage like a lot of EA Rockstar games. Contrary to other user reviews, there is thankfully only a little bit of actual dubstep in the game. Industrial is not dubstep, kids. The characters have a lot of terrible dialogue, just like the other DMC games. Overall I enjoyed the story in this newest entry more than DMC 1-4 because it was the only one out of the entire series where I could even tell there was supposed to be a story, even though they did copy a Futurama episode for the factory level. Finally, I would rate this game an 8.5, I would have given DMC4 a 9.25, and Bayonetta would get a 9.5. I'm rounding up the 8.5 since there's so many zeroes on these user ratings. People are acting like it's worse than Vampire Rain or something, I mean, come on. It's actually a pretty fun game when judged on its own. However, it's a step down compared to all the other games in this series (except DMC2). Expand
  18. Jan 26, 2013
    Ok the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, noOk the people that are **** about the game being destroyed are idiots, dante is different in every game, this one is like a younger version of the dmc dante, game is beautiful, layout is sick, combat is grade A, story line is great too. In all honesty its just as good if not better than dmc 3. Soundtrack is dope as hell, definitely worth buying, i randomly preordered it at gamestop, no intention of buying it honestly, saw it was a new revamp of dmc so i picked it up, i regret buying skyrim, gears 3 and halo 4 more than i do dmc, worth the $65. Expand
  19. Feb 4, 2013
    I was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and characterI was very hesitant to get this game at first but I finally broke down, bought a copy and i must say that I am floored by how good it is. I love this game and it deserves to be played and enjoyed by any action game fan. I am a huge fan of the previous DMC games with this one and DMC3 being my absolute favorites. Dante is voiced very well and has some great dialogue and character progression. You can also get his classic skin through cheap DLC if its that's part of the issue people have with him.The combat is as excellent and responsive as ever and its full of Holy combos and moments with flare and style. The evil media/corporation theme is very fitting this day in age so I enjoyed how it was delivered in this game. I mean, do people really think the owners of these major corporations and news stations are innocent little angels? Of course they aren't. So the story was fun and it made for some truly incredible set pieces that compliment the flashy combat. With great replay value, great graphics and art design, bloody palace (free) DLC coming soon and even more DLC on the way I cant recommend this game enough. To all fans of action games, buy this. Expand
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    Great game, haters aside the new DMC is a great game, solid gameplay and a well told plot, also an awesome design, from foes till scenery details all have a great design, worth buy!!
  21. Jan 27, 2013
    A thoroughly enjoyable game, the combat is smooth with only a few minor flaws and feels refreshing yet slightly familiar. As for the story I found it engaging, this is where to game differs from previous entries the most (for obvious reason) but the main characters and their stories are engaging and the fresh take on Virgil's story alone is worth watching.

Don't knock it before you try

Don't knock it before you try it and I can't wait for bloody palace.
  22. Jan 29, 2013
    Beautiful, ironic, talented game with annoying platformer elements and some borrowings from Alice: Madness Returns. Ninja Theory - good job. Not great maybe, but still very good. Waiting DmC 2.
  23. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels moreThis game is a reboot/prequel that breathes new life into the series. Luckily the things that matter haven't been changed. Most people are complaining about difficulty, but if you beat the game you can unlock the SON OF SPARDA mode which makes the game so much harder and more satisfying. The story is simple and satirical and for everyone saying it's very American it's style feels more British to me. I enjoyed the characters and have played all the old games. If you enjoy beat em ups this game is going to be right up your ally. Don't listen to all the hate about his hair not being white, besides when you beat the game you also unlock his old costume, so play on the hardest difficulty with the old costume and it'll be just like the old DMC games, everybody wins. Expand
  24. Jan 29, 2013
    I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this DmC game, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about. This is a REBOOT, and it has a different feel than other DmC games -- but the hack n slash combat is still amazingly fun, the old challenge is there, and I found myself laughing many times at Dante's ridiculous bravado... in a good way. The story is straightforward and has a few poignant moments.I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this DmC game, but it turns out I had nothing to worry about. This is a REBOOT, and it has a different feel than other DmC games -- but the hack n slash combat is still amazingly fun, the old challenge is there, and I found myself laughing many times at Dante's ridiculous bravado... in a good way. The story is straightforward and has a few poignant moments. Most of all, this game looks better than any other DmC game, with more color and a dynamic environment that is constantly shifting and trying to kill Dante. I could not imagine this game being more fun to play, plain and simple, and that's what all video games should be about. Expand
  25. Jan 29, 2013
    This Game is Fantastic.The story isn't Great but the game itself is solid.Great Graphics,great mechanics, really great art direction.This is not only the best devil may cry games, its one of the best hack and slash games of this generation.
  26. Jan 29, 2013
    At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into.At first I wasn't going to buy this game. I thought Bleh I hate that new Dante look. After a small boredom spell I broke down and bought it. Honestly it is a prequel with a modern day twist. A lot of the modern day technology we use today didn't exist then so it brought the series up to speed. It took a classic genre with a classic character and breathed new and vibrant life into. Whoever said the writing is bad doesn't know anything about the character. The characters dialogue fits him to a T. The story and the undertones are amazing. As well as the allegories it subtly hid in. I think this game deserves the critic score it got because all in all I was really impressed even after coming in with very low hopes. The overall story kept me engaged and the climax blew me away. I loved the game and I applaud the studio. I would love for then to continue the series from that game. To me it has potential for a game of the year nomination. Expand
  27. Feb 6, 2013
    First the obvious. This is a remake (Remember that word) of an over-rated franchise that desperately needed it. Out of all the hack n slash games as of late such as DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden......DMC felt the most stale.
    The story was hilariously bad, the character was a pretty boy with long hair and really awful one liners spewing out of his mouth. Like most Japanese make games that are supposively adult he looked like an ugly anime girl with the personality of a 10 year old. The gameplay was solid and the graphics were fine but did not stand out. Capcom knew the franchise was falling behind the others and decided a shot in the arm was needed. So they call Ninja Theory.
    Ninja Theory are known for great production values mostly because of their incredible voice acting, emotion, and characters. They are also known for well recieved but commercial flops. So how did they do/
    Well this is a remake. Most gamers do not grasp that concept. So they have been on the net crying and complaining like teenage girls fighting over a guy. It has been a pathetic display and shows why gamers are considered genetic fumbles, geeks, and outsiders. Many franchises have seen reboot ps over the years and some have failed or succeeded. This one passes the test head over heals but the butthurt punks of the game community really outdid themselves with their metacritic hate and ignorance.
    The story is great. It sticks close enough to the original while taking out the ignorant banter most Japanese games in this genre are known for. In other words anyone can follow along and enjoy it. It has some great cutscenes to tell the story and move the narrative alone. Amazingly people have complained about this. (Metal Gear 4 gets a free pass though.....) It is easily the first DMC where I paid attention to what was going on.
    The difficulty took a step back but you can open up harder difficulties and the hard ones do pose a challenge.
    The gameplay is standard hack n slash and like a good reboot should, you develope more powers, combos, and such as you go. Like Ninja Theories other game Heavenly Sword, you have to use face button and trigger combos to switch weapon attacks. Takes getting used too. One cool thing that was added is the ability to ty out and switch out combo attacks.
    Dante is a likable character as well as the supporting cast. Some bosses make a return and again.....even though it is a remake the community cried. The choices were good with the bosses included but some of the fights are all too standard with what has already been done for the genre.
    The sound in more western metal instead of Japanese hair metal. It is more rugged and hard edged. The voice work is great which should be expected and the sound effects are well done. Nothing to complain about.
    The graphics and art are in my opinion the best in any hack n slash game that has been released. Not as technical as God of War 3 but the world is incredible. The rifts, shifting, lighting, and film grain and blups in the transfermation into limbo is awesome. Limbo is a screwed up place but the look is awesome. The first level was a shock to the senses and I actually had to train my eye to the art. Amazingly done.
    I do have a few complaints. The levels while they are cool does not get better as they go. They stay consistant but I was hoping for a big final. The boss fights as stated earlier are nothing new. A few on the character exchanges seem forced for shock value but it is miles ahead of the past titles. And finally some of the jumping movements, especially the air dashing can be a bit tricky.
    One last thing. I have seen a lot of crying about Dante saying "No way!" to the white wig during the game. I thought it was hilarious and was a direct attack on the babies who have cried foul this who cried foul the whole time. It said 2 things. 1- This is not the same DMC and 2- Ninja Theory has heard the cries and stayed course with their own vision. Any good dev worth their salt would of did the same thing.
    Well done Ninja Theory. The best hack n slash since Ninja Gaiden Black and a big middle finger to the drama queens.
  28. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm absolutely amazed to see the user score so low on this game. Diablo 3 deserved an abyssmal rating, not this one. It's disgusting that this game has garnered such hatred. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved the crap out of bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action, story, and visuals. It isI'm absolutely amazed to see the user score so low on this game. Diablo 3 deserved an abyssmal rating, not this one. It's disgusting that this game has garnered such hatred. If you've played devil may cry 4, or bayonetta, you'll feel right at home with this game. I loved the crap out of bayonetta, but I have to say, this game edges it out in terms of action, story, and visuals. It is almost on par with arkham city for action, I would say maybe 3rd in my book for story (behind chrono trigger and the original bioshock as the ultimate #1), but the story is great. Things are pretty well spelled out after the first few levels, but with a good twist at the end. I feel like it could've been done a bit better, but it is still leaps and bounds above the story of most games. Next, let me get onto the combat. Honestly, if you are on the fence, play the demo. The combat system is fantastic. If I had one complaint, it's that the dodge system feels just a little bit lacking compared to bayonetta, but it is all in all incredible. Once you think you have a perfect combo mapped out and perfected, a thousand other viable options become available. By the time you finish the game, you can easily see that you've got your work cut out for you. There are weapons and attacks for every play style here. Finally, the visuals. Absolutely breathtaking. Limbo contains more than a few memorable set pieces, and I was truly impressed with what they could come up with. I will admit, when they first talked of a reboot to devil may cry, I was a bit pissed. It looked like it was going to be a steaming pile of $&*%, but I am very happy to admit I was completely wrong. I have only played devil may cry 4, but from what I'm told, this is easily the best entry in the series. I can't recommend this game highly enough. Forget the 12 year olds on metacritic, this is a must buy. I'm a huge dead space and bioshock fan but I don't think I will be picking those games up until well after release because there is such a ridiculous amount of playback value in this game. Try the demo, if you like it, you will love the game. Trust me on this one Expand
  29. Jan 31, 2013
    Great an fast storytelling. The combat system is well balanced and easy to learn but hard to master. The Reboot was the best Dante could happened (with or without white hair)
  30. Jan 30, 2013
    This is the first DMC i had ever played and for those saying its repetitive obviously didnt get far enough to unlock all the skill sets and all demon/angels weapons. This game keeps your attention as the gameplay constantly changes and each mission has a different feel to it. I can't understand the overall negativity of users on this game, What a great way to start 2013. The story was alsoThis is the first DMC i had ever played and for those saying its repetitive obviously didnt get far enough to unlock all the skill sets and all demon/angels weapons. This game keeps your attention as the gameplay constantly changes and each mission has a different feel to it. I can't understand the overall negativity of users on this game, What a great way to start 2013. The story was also very witty and this new DANTE kicks some..White hair Dante is dead! Expand
  31. Jan 15, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.