DmC: Devil May Cry Xbox 360

5.1

1. Dec 14, 2015
    Pros:

- The gameplay is sweet. Switching between angel and demon mode is pretty cool, and makes up some really cool combos. The combat is more realistic, too. - The level designs are visually stunning and definitely worth playing through. Limbo is really cool. - Bob Barbas and Mundus make cool villains. - Good story. Say what you want about the characters. They story was good. It
    Pros:

- Bob Barbas and Mundus make cool villains.
    - Good story. Say what you want about the characters. They story was good. It clearly rips off They Live however, but it's still worth playing through.
    - Good voice acting. It sounds more natural than the original, and even as a standalone game, its voice acting is pretty good.

Cons:

- No targeting system. It's really a pain in the ass when you're trying to kill one demon and end up shooting another. Also sometimes I would be in the air trying to Angel Dash to another platform, but the camera would auto target the demons in the previous platform and I would dash in the wrong direction and fall.
    - The characters are just awful. The good guys to be specific. Dante's redesign isn't too bad, but what's the point of making his hair black? They didn't do it for Vergil. It doesn't make any sense. His hair turns white in the end anyway. Alright, let's be frank. Dante is a mean-spirited douche, and lacks any charm and comes off as unapproachable. Vergil is a coward, talks like a weirdo and his motivations and goals don't make any sense. Kat is the dullest character (less dull than 4's Kyrie, though) in the game, and her backstory doesn't help make her interesting either. It's funny how we knew less about the classic Dante and he was still likable and interesting, but we know so much about the new Dante and he comes off as dull and annoying. Lesson: sometimes less is more. I think the worse part about the new Dante is that he's a try-hard version of the original. You can see the Ninja Theory was trying to make him appeal to everyone, both the general audience and the Devil May Cry fans, and they fail at it. I think I would've preferred Ninja Theory's original vision of Dante. You know, the really emo one. Just change his look, make his hair white and you could've had an interesting, emotionally unstable version of Dante. It could've been what Skyfall was to the 007 franchise. It's funny because the creator said that he didn't care what people thought about his Dante, but he clearly does and it shows. And Vergil... Oh my god. How can they make a character this bad?
    - The dialogue is terrible. Dante's interaction with the Succubus was the worst. You know, where they yell **** you" to each other three times. You can tell Ninja Theory had to completely scrap the idea of a PTSD Dante, and they had to write up something really quick. Only problem is it really shows. The dialogue is at its worst.
    - Dante's backstory doesn't work. For example, Dante being in conflict with his demon side and his human side? **** it. Let's make him a super-powered nephillim. An angel-demon hybrid. But let's still have him questioning his humanity for some reason. Seriously, Ninja Theory, either you're trying to make him different from the original or you're trying to make him similar. Choose one. Or if you're trying to do both, at least make it consistent. Making Dante a nephillim was pretty creative, but having him do things the original demon-human hybrid is just weird. Also, Dante was apparently tormented by demons. Then why isn't he more like the original vision than the wise cracking, badass classic? Changing Dante's backstory and trying to make him more like the classic? Nope. Just makes the character worse and less interesting.
    - The ending is **** The conflict is so forced. Seriously, Vergil, who was willing to sacrifice Kat for Dante, tries to kill his brother. Oh, he needed his brother to defeat Mundus but now he doesn't need him anymore, you say? Vergil could've done this whole job himself. Don't bull**** me. He is both "smart" and strong. He didn't even need Dante. They just wanted to make Vergil the bad guy and set up a sequel. I mean can you imagine Vergil being a villain in the next game? Mundus was a good villain because they make him out to be an **** throughout the game, but in the end they put a twist in it. Mundus explains his ideals; what would happen if humanity had freedom. And you actually feel sorry for Mundus because our **** protagonists killed his child. Vergil would be the worst villain. He's whiny, stupid and his character traits are more inconsistent than Dante's.

Story- 8/10
    Main Characters - 1/10
    Gameplay - 8.5/10
    Level Design - 9/10
    Dialogue - 2/10
    Voice Acting - 7.5/10
    Villains - 7/10
    Creativity (As a Reboot) - 4/10
    Overall - 5.875/10, so basically 6/10

This game is worth your time. It's not as bad as some people it out to be, but it's not as good either as others make it out to be. But you should definitely play it. Sure, the characters and dialogue are terrible, but there are still good aspects in the game. The gameplay and design are the best aspects. So yeah, give it a shot.
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    I honestly love the Devil May Cry series, and like most DMC fans, saw this and immediately hated it. I decided to borrow my friend's copy and I was able to beat it in a day. I also got about halfway through again on Sparda Must Die before I just put down the controller. It's not worth the high praise it's getting. The writing is something by a 14 year old who just learned the word **** TheI honestly love the Devil May Cry series, and like most DMC fans, saw this and immediately hated it. I decided to borrow my friend's copy and I was able to beat it in a day. I also got about halfway through again on Sparda Must Die before I just put down the controller. It's not worth the high praise it's getting. The writing is something by a 14 year old who just learned the word **** The story is tasteless and everything has been done before. The voice acting is.. okay. There are moments where when something happens that should be an "OH MY GOD HOLY **** type of thing, but all you get out of the new Dante is "Ohh nooooo." And that's not just the writer trying to make him seem like he doesn't care, as the subtitles say "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Clearly indicating that he was meaning to put some actual feeling into it. The gameplay, while more accessible, isn't deep at all. It's kinda fun for the first 3.5/4 hours (half the game, so maybe not that bad) but even then there's not really much you can do. The scythe is a weapon that doesn't kill **** where the axe is a weapon where when you hit something twice you kill them and then a SS ranking for doing so. Everything combat related gets boring and tedious halfway through. You start fighting enemies that limit what you can do to them because only doing one thing will really hurt them. Bosses.. oh god the bosses. Only one of them was even remotely fun to fight. The rest where just a bunch of "do the same thing 10 times oh look now i am dead"

The music is actually pretty well done. I'm not a fan of the metal-type music in this, but the music Noisia did is quite nice. It fits the game well and just sounds nice on it's own.

Now on to graphics. The levels, the way they look and how they play, are pretty much the best thing about the game. I honestly stopped to look around in some of the environments. The combat would look neat, trying to give the feel that I was doing something cool, but it didn't actually feel like it at all. Also, the facial animations are.. not so well done. Half the time I would burst out laughing because of some of the faces people would make in the game. I'm pretty sure they where all unintentionally funny, which is the sad part.

Replayability is there if you like to collect crap, but the game is so easy, even on Sparta Must Die, that it's not really worth it for challenge's sake.

All in all, 5/10. Buy it if you like short, mediocre hack n slash games. If you're interested in it, just wait a bit to pick it up for $20. That's about how much it's worth.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    It's hard to start on this game. The story is insipid, it's very juvenile and hamfisted in its presentation and it shamelessly takes from the film They Live. You shouldn't expect to be enriched by it.

But the game's worst part is that it's gameplay is just.. mediocre. It's slow, clunky enemies are unmemorable and bosses are very poorly done. Instead of using insane combos and quick

Instead of using insane combos and quick reaction to defeat the bosses, it's mostly just dodge their one big swipe attack and then use some platforming gimmick to make them weak. It's something I'd expect from a Legend of Zelda boss. The combat at it's core, is well. Mediocre. It's a clear downgrade from previous games but on it's own it's playable. It's just nothing special. Devil May Cry had some potential, but it's developers didn't have the competency to carry it out.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    From a neutral standpoint you probably either think that anyone who doesn't think the game is awesome is just another "hater" who spends all day complaining about hair, or that this reboot is the worst game ever depending on who you listen to in this complete mess of a marketing campaign. Its hard to find a truthful and educated opinion from either sides in this internet slug fest, CapcomFrom a neutral standpoint you probably either think that anyone who doesn't think the game is awesome is just another "hater" who spends all day complaining about hair, or that this reboot is the worst game ever depending on who you listen to in this complete mess of a marketing campaign. Its hard to find a truthful and educated opinion from either sides in this internet slug fest, Capcom and Ninja Theory have been bashing anyone with a difference of opinion and trying to discredit them, while some of fans of the original DMC have been spending all day on the forums of Capcom and even giving death threats. I am a huge fan of DMC 1 and 3, DMC in particular is a high standard in the genre which i do not think has been met to this day, but when i first heard of the idea of a reboot my mind was actually open to the idea if it could be done right, but when i saw the trailers it didn't really interest me, but i didn't bash the game in the youtube comment sections, although i was disgusted with the way Capcom and Ninja Theory dealt with customers. What I am trying to say is that I am a DMC fan that came in with a open mind to this new reboot. I have played it solidly for the last week after renting it out and have not been overly impressed with the title, The game isn't bad but it isn't good either it instead is a completely mediocre game that you should have no problem leaving on the shelf at your local game store. The biggest thing holding it back is its sluggish frame rate, you simpally cannot make 30fps look like 60fps, Even more problematic is that the frame rate drops from 30fps to 20fps or even lower than that in my own experience, which seems unacceptable for dmc which has always run at a solid 60fps since DMC1. Also the combat seems incredibly basic and uninspired, Removing the lock on means removing directional inputs which results in a very small move set for Dante in this new DmC, not only that but it also means the combat is imprecise making it a guessing game whether or not you grapple or shot, swing or stab etc. Not that it really matters if you screw up your moves because the enemy AI is some of the worst i have ever seen in any game in the genre, the ai in this game is very close to DMC2 and that is not a good thing. Most enemies just stand there in combat very rarely swinging with a very slow and easily avoidable attack, the same can be said about most of the games bosses. Even on low difficulties a complete noob could finish this game without dying once. Take myself for instance, i beat this game 3 times in a single weak, i even managed to beat the game on Dante Must Die Mode without dying once, and this is not because im a master at DMC games, I'm pretty dam noob at DMC 3 and 4. But even DMC3 special edition on easy is harder than son of sparda mode on this reboot. The game is to short, it took me just over 10 hours on my first try and even less on my second and third. I found that the only reason the game is as long as it is, that is because of the platforming sections. These sections may look cool but add no real gameplay to the game at all, these sections are way too slow, you could walk most of the platforming sections and still survive, they are there purely to pad the games length and they put heavy restrictions on player by forcing them down a linear path. This isn't the only place were the game is linear though, several enemies can only be killed by one particular weapon, removing player choice from combat, this is dull and boring its as if the developers want everyone to play the game the exact same way and hold our hands throughout the whole game. Maybe because if we played the game a different way the game would glitch out, because the game did so for me many times, several of the glitches forced me to quit the game and start the level over, and i wasn't looking for glitches which is what most Capcom fanboys will say to defend the game. The style meter is now a complete joke, all you need to do to get SSS style is use the demon dodge once then swing the red axe and boom, in one combo you are at SSS, once your there just dont get hit and the style doesn't drop, which you can do easily with a attack you use that keeps you in the air, and drags enemies off the ground into the air with you, there is no longer any skill required to get SSS style. And the thing which Ninja Theory fanboys claimed their favourite developer would destroy the old developers at is story. To my surprise Ninja Theory screwed this up so bad, Previous DMC titles had the story line of a b grade action movie, cheesy but still enjoyable because of how over the top and stylish it was.This new DmC story is more like a 13 year old boy trying to write an edgy story but ultimately just trying to hard to be cool.Dialogue mainly consists of swear words, bad sex jokes, and the new Dante thinking he's awesome when really he is just a douche. The same can be said about most of the characters.No time to cover graphics and sound Expand
  5. Jan 19, 2013
    I'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view. For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying fromI'm going to review this game from the Devil May Cry (or hack-n-slash) fan and from the casual point of view. For the casuals: Don't listen the reviews here, this are full of haters or Capcom fanboys (or well payd reviewers). You can have fun playing the game, the storytelling is relatively interesting and the graphic design of the game itself is beautiful and original, varying from various places, with beautiful colors. The combat is very easy to pick up and play, you can have fun creating combos, unlocking abilities, using the grapple in the platform stages, etc. The game follows the typical structure of video-combat-platforms-video again... the platforms are entertaining at first, and in some points of the later game, but in general their only purpose is to attach one combat with another while you unlock some secret stuff if you look around. The combat can entertain you the whole game because there are a lot of options creating combos but beware, the enemies are very easy to kill. The storytelling is well made, not complicated, not free of cliches but you may be interested on how it goes, and there are a few moments of the game very very well made, with lots of effort in them, but with places where it feels a little rushed. I would only recommend it if you really like what you have seen in videos and gameplays, if you are new to the hack and slash you will enjoy it, but consider that the replayability isn't the strong point in DMC, so you should consider rent it first. For the Devil May Cry fan: The Ninja Theory work is appreciated in the sense that they had the task of making the game dumbed for the masses (as Crapcom conditioned them for sure), changing Dante, and the mechanics entirely, this wasn't an easy job to do, and the result is a lot of closeups of the new Dante and nods (like the anonymous at the beginning) just to convince the people to like the new character, that reflects lack of self-confidence of Ninja Theory which is also reflected in many aspects of the game (I feel that Ninja Theory wanted to make the game less idiot than Crapcom wanted) the result? a very versatile combo system with potential but a very weak enemies to make the combos woth to pull off (with a broken style system),there aren't any puzzles on the game but they added a very easy exploration system with the keys (and closed paths that needs to be open with the later weapons just to make you come back and feel that need more exploration), a mechanic to make the enemies harder conditioning the use of different weapons to satisfy the casual challenge needs but a pain in the ass for the hack and slash players, a storytelling forced in some points just make it feel like if it were more like a devil may cry than a different game like (I consider) this, overall, I don't recommend this if you enjoy the hack and slash, is very-VERY easy, the enemies are poor in variety and there are lots of better options for the hack and slash genre. Expand
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    It is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you canIt is, perhaps, not as bad as all the people who have not played it throwing bad scores at it would say, however the game is extremely lackluster in many categories. First off the dialogue and story are infamously atrocious, but that goes without saying. The gameplay is incredibly easy as few enemies spawn in the same area at once, the axe weapon is obscenely overpowered, and you can infinitely juggle an enemy in the air with the angel and demon grabs, not to mention that you get SSS almost immediately from any attack, and that the game lacks the lock on system necessary to aim attacks at enemies. The music tends to be obnoxious as well but thats subjective.
    However, while the story and gameplay are mediocre at best, it is still fun to hack and slash a bunch of demons, so its still earns itself some points
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    Well here we are with a new DmC entry, I'll get right to the point with my review in a checklist style
    Gameplay
    Gameplay
    5/10,it is a downgrade from previous Devil May Cry titles as losing the Lock On button forced the game to also lose plenty of moves that required the use of the lock on to be able and perform d-pad motions, depth of combat was also taken out or completely changed from previous DMC titles, now all moves combo into each other making flashy combos easy for everyone, even a blind person could make "sick" combos, NJ style of depth takes the form of enemeis that have unique weapon weaknesses or weak spots, this hindrances the gameplay as you have to interrupt your attack in order to reposition yourself or change weapon, in order to not affect your combat grade, NJ decided to also alter the way the game grades you, in this version of DMC as long as you dont get hit, your grade wont be reduced, even if you stand doing nothing for minutes, whereas in previous titles you had to think of smart ways to keep it high, either by varying up your combos or throwing a taunt here and there, this new system as you can see takes away from the skill.

All enemies telegraph their attacks, well they always do in the other games, however in this version they take several seconds before they launch their attacks, combine this with a low enemy count and the inability for most of them to attack Dante while he is doing air combos and you got yourself a very very easy game.

so for me, the combat and difficulty in this game while fun for new comers of this franchise, is completely lacking and lost of feeling of challenge.

Music : 5/10 this is mostly a matter of opinion, some of the tracks are quite good and do seem to fit the franchise, however all the ones that include heavy use of dubstep (boss music im looking at you) are really aweful and show poor taste

Graphics: 6/10 unfortunately for DMC, the developers decided to use the Unreal Engine, while its not a bad engine they did have a better engine they could have work with, CAPCOMS MT Framework engine, thus DMC's visual while good were not better than what we have seen in DMC4, a title released about 4 or 5 years ago and certainly not up to par with other titles released in 2012, however the only redeeming quality was the art direction of the game, the changing city and special effects used in some stages was quite good, too bad character models and animations werent.

Story: 5/10
    If anyone has watched the movie THEY LIVE by John Carpenter, you would know that DMC's story is almost a complete Copy/Paste of it, except that THEY LIVE at least had decent dialogue, whereas DMC's dialogue is just crude and childish, even going to compare $%^ sizes between some characters, however Story should never be a reason to play a DMC title so instead of the 2/10 I was going to give it, I'll bump it up to 5/10

Final Thoughts
    For me this DMC game has changed from action genre to the hack and slash or brawler genre, for example like those Dinasty Warrior games were all you do if perform 100+ hit combos just mashing the X button, now I don't mean to say the game is bad, DMC is a good game, but not as a Devil May Cry title, had the game had another name it would have been alright because I would not have had to compare it to its previous titles and see how many features were removed to make the combat extremely simple and depth lacking.

so my final score is a 5/10
  8. Jan 19, 2013
    first thing first.... gaming journalist are big fat liars and are calling us fanboys and "you are all about the hair" that we are haters and so on...
    and the ratings... people those "official rating" are too hight and came out all at THE SAME TIME... and all of them are refferring to us like "haters" "fanboys" "afraid of change" even "stupid" or "terrorists"
    gee, thanks. never knew

gee, thanks. never knew was a crime to not like a reboot too much different from the main series now i know... thanks... i will turn myself in cause i'm a terrorist not liking a game

LIES!!!!!

it's not about the hairs it never was.... it was the feel of the game, this game both story and gameplay do not belong in the devil may cry series...

the story is a rip off of an old movie "they live" check it out if you don't believe me.
    the mechanics and gameplay are clunky and does'nt fel right for a dmc game, it's a lot more like dante's inferno(the whip mechanics are too much similar), i could'nt get SSS rating at the other games so easly ...this time the first time i played i got it without even trying. the combat is not deep is easy and clunky you can master it in less tha an hour of game
    new dante doesn't feel right, he's a bad character who say bad words and bang strippers, the enemies are most like ripped off dante's inferno again but some adding like chainsaw and old shaving tools attached on their arms... most of them wanna make me puke. we have a sex demon scene who made almost puke, the "limbo thing" is ripped off bayonetta's "purgatory" and most of the background looks like bayonetta's background who had stripped on dante's inferno enemies
    AAAAH oh my god the music... this music is so horrible it gave me an headache lightning fast (especially the dubstep music)

I gotta say... it's not a bad or awful game, it's a decent game. it's just not a proper devil may cry who want to be it but it fails... but the horrible fact is that the gaming journalist are ling about it
  9. Jan 19, 2013
    An average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of theAn average action game with its saving grace being the good art direction. The story is insipid and pretentious and the characters extremely unlikeable. Brings nothing new to the table aside from some of the most vulgar writing and scenes you can think of, but expects to be treated like a masterpiece. The soundtrack tries too hard to be edgey and will more often get in the way of the experience rather than adding to it. Glitches galore, exploit them at your leisure. I gave it a 5 because the combat can be fun if you're using most of your brain for something else and some of the visuals. Expand
  10. Feb 18, 2013
    I will admit that while the game does have some issues, the overall package is good. As a seasoned DMC player, having played 1, 2, and 3 (I want to get 4) I can tell you that it is NOT Devil May Cry good. Vergil has really fallen out of my respect, Kat just seems like a half-assed love interest for Dante, and the FOX news references are very abundant. Not to say that all of it is bad.I will admit that while the game does have some issues, the overall package is good. As a seasoned DMC player, having played 1, 2, and 3 (I want to get 4) I can tell you that it is NOT Devil May Cry good. Vergil has really fallen out of my respect, Kat just seems like a half-assed love interest for Dante, and the FOX news references are very abundant. Not to say that all of it is bad. Mundus is a pretty good villian. The whole, "control the world through debt" thing was pretty cool. And the shape shifting enviroments are also very appealing. The graphics are good, but as some of the other reviewers have stated, you tend to expect that from unreal engine games. Some characters are un-memorable, like the various demons you fight, as well as other characters, such as Lilith, Mundus' wife/prostitute/child-bearer, and Phineas, the guy who helps you get to Bob Barbas. The boss battles in this game are superb. the battles with Mundus, the Succubus, and Bob are excellent. Now to get to the issues. Can someone tell me the value behind the wig joke? That came out of nowhere! and Dante's character is VERY unnapealing. The way he acts, looks, acts, and feels makes him feel sluggish, and make him look like he is trying to emulate the Dante we know and love. While the shape shifting world is great, and the enviroments pretty nice, the world doesn't make you feel that threatened. The combat. That is one of the places this needed to be good. The combat is WAY to easy to get an S ranking, let alone an SSS. the combat feels slow, but it feels like it adds momentum to Dante, but overrall feels sluggish and slow. There are also continuity issues. While Dante can use his sword, Rebellion in Limbo, he can't use it in the real world. But Vergil, Dante's brother, can use his sword, the Yamato #which was way cooler in DMC 3# in both the real world and Limbo, which makes no sense. The Kablooey gun was given a poor explanation as to it's abilities, and Dante's Devil Trigger is bland and boring, as apposed to Dante's other Devil Trigger forms in the past, which made him look like a DEMON, or a DEVIL, like the name DEVIL TRIGGER suggests. This game doesn't deserve all the praise that it gets from some reviewers, but it doesn't deserve the hate it has gotten either. It's right in the middle, and that isn't always a bad thing. But is this the end for the DMC 1-4 characters and their story? As the TRUE Dante would say, "The end? Don't bet on it." Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2013
    The gameplay is solid, while devil trigger sucks ass and the new style system has been dumbed down considerable. However, the characters are horrid and the dialogue reminds me of a 15 year old's fan fiction. Storyline was semi-interesting though. And c'mon, new Dante does look like a heroin junkie.
  12. Dec 23, 2013
    i played this game starting to think that this is the worst game ever made in hole history but it wasn't as desapointed as i thought,but it is still disapointed.
  13. Dec 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As I started playing, I was hopeful about its quality. I'm not a fanboy; I see many flaws in DMC too, though it knew what it was doing.

First, its story is incredibly juvenile. It's a plot that mirrors the Illuminati conspiracy theory. Aside from that, it also criticizes capitalism in a very hamfisted way, with Dante scoffing at billboards and slapping a can of energy drink out of somebody's hand. Mundus, the leader of Limbo, is a demon who's a corrupt businessman who 'controls the world through debt'. No idea how that works, and it's never explained either. Mundus's motives are not explained, and there is no backstory on him either. He could just merge the demon world with the humans' and let their world get overrun by demons, but I guess he never thought of that.
    Dante meets his twin (whom he doesn't recognize even though he looks exactly like him), and is told that their father was banished by Mundus. That somehow motivates Dante to defeat Mundus, even though he had no interest to before, and he has no reason to avenge his father either, since he never knew him and has no connection to him ideologically or emotionally. Vergil and Dante never try to find out what exactly happened to their father, or even if he's alive.
    Somewhere along the line, Vergil shoots Mundus's wife through the stomach to kill both her and her child. It doesn't matter that that woman was a demon, it's still immoral. Dante simply reacts shocked, but shrugs it off fairly quickly - he even rubs it in when he meets Mundus. Throughout the game, the words 'f*ck you' are repeated at least six times, as though it's supposed to make you angry, but it only comes across as though the game tries to be as edgy as possible. It's very cliché.

The characters are one-dimensional. Kat does nothing but complain, gets captured and serves mainly as a plot progresser. Instead of being a strong female character like Trish, Kat is portrayed as a useless but cute girl. Vergil comes across as overly emotional, and he wants to replace Mundus as a dictator, simply because ''humans are weak''. Vergil also looks contradictory. He's got a posh Homburg hat, but he also wears a black coat with a blue floral pattern type of thing. His behavior is equally confused. At the end of the game, Kat reassures Dante that ''I know exactly who you are - you're Dante''. First off, she still doesn't know him well, and secondly, the hints at a romantic relationship make no sense. If anything, she seems to harbor feelings for Vergil, which are never discussed again.
    Dante himself is like an obnoxious football hooligan or something. He comments that he's ''Dante the demon killer'', and every time he smiles, it's like a smirk. The transformation from a-hole to likable, flamboyant trash-talker I had hoped for is not there. He is unlikable.

The gameplay is almost as bad, though thankfully the Capcom team worked on it too. The game has half as many combos as DMC4 did. The styles were removed. The lock-on function was removed, which means you're flailing at enemies Dante decided to target. There's enemies who can't be hurt by your normal weapons, so you're forced to switch to demonic or angelic weapons - which severely limits your combo potential in groups of enemies. Some enemies can only be defeated by grappling toward them.
    The boss fights are far too easy and rely on shallow platforming elements. One of the weapons is so overpowered you can kill bosses in a few hits, while also racking up style points. Some of the weapons have essentially the same function in combat, and the Aquila is only useful for disabling weak enemies so you can focus on a strong one.
    The gameplay can still be fun, there's still a little comboing potential. But with all the boring, shallow platforming in between fights (consisting of grappling onto ledges over and over), that doesn't help much.

The enemy design is lackluster; instead of having anime-like demons with elements from human mythology, we now have enemies like Poison, who looks like a huge caterpillar. The only demon who I thought looked decent was Bob Barbas. His fight was nice. Still, I can't help but facepalm at the juvenile comparison to a Fox News anchor. Just because Fox News is stupid doesn't mean it's evil or tries to control the world. It's hamfisted.

The graphics are okay, but most levels consist of one color; it goes from red to blue to green. But, there was an upside down realm, which looked great.

The soundtrack gets your blood pumping sometimes, but it's edgy and not too varied.

Overall, the presentation is hamfisted, the characters unlikable and shallow, the gameplay bland and two steps down from previous DMCs, the acting mediocre, the dialogs ridiculous, the soundtrack decent, and the graphics too colorful and monochromatic (but creative and epic). The game doesn't feel like Devil May Cry either; the characters and story are different, and there's no real horror or anime style. Skip this game, wait for DMC4: Special Edition.
  14. Dec 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start about this game? Well first off I want to say that DMC fans don't dislike this game because ''they don't like change''. If that were true, DMC would've died years ago, since each DMC has been pretty different from the last. Each Dante was different too. I'll explain just why this game fails objectively and subjectively.

The plot isn't all that logical. Mundus (the demon king) wants to control the world through debt, but... why, exactly? Because he hates humans? He wants them to be enslaved? And why would he want that? Why not kill them altogether in his demon form, or let other demons do it for him? Where did this Mundus even come from, and why would he send demons after Dante if Dante never posed a threat? Mundus didn't even know about Vergil, so it's possible Dante would just leave Mundus alone.
    The plot, in my opinion, is kinda childish. Like somebody else said, it's a typical 'corporations are evil, government is bad' story.
    The characters are pretty unremarkable, not likable. Kat goes from shy to annoying and passive-aggressive in the blink of an eye. Vergil comes across as whiny and generally insane. If we're supposed to feel bad about his fight with Dante and his fall from grace and transformation into a wannabe dictator... well... I don't. It doesn't work because Vergil was unlikable in the first place. He stabs people in the back, shoots them in the stomach and lets it sink in... he's honorless.
    Dante is an uncaring and obnoxious guy. His character would've worked better if it allowed for drama; if Dante's demeanor were contrasted with bouts of emotionality. As it is, Dante never inspires you to love him or to laugh at any jokes he makes. He's unethical and disturbed just like Vergil, and that never really changes.
    And the plot ending makes little sense. Dante decides, based on his interactions with Kat (who was useless, ran away, got caught, etc) that humans can rule themselves and aren't useless in any way. Why is Kat a character when Dante could just interact with local humans? Maybe some humans could be part of the Order, so that Dante can get to know humans better? Naah, of course not, that would make too much sense. Vergil's revelation that he wanted to rule the humans (with Dante) wasn't a revelation... we already knew he had plans, it was telegraphed multiple times in overly obvious ways.

The gameplay's poor. You've got no styles, which means fewer moves than in DMC3 and 4. You've got no lock-on mechanism, making you randomly target enemies (usually the one closest to you, though). The angel weapons are underpowered, while the demon weapons are overpowered. Some enemies force you to use angel/demon weapons only, which limits your combos. Those weapons just don't have large enough movesets.
    Almost every combo finisher sends enemies flying, meaning you're forced to use the Demon Pull or Angel Lift if you want to keep attacking.
    The bosses are so easy it's insulting, and it comes down to being forced to exploit their weaknesses with platforming. Devil Trigger only makes it even easier because it's a slow time function.
    Platforming, by the way, isn't platforming at all. It requires no skill, and little timing. All you do is press the same button over and over.
    Overall, the game's too easy. You get SSS rankings like candy.

The soundtrack and the acting are okay, not much else. The guy voicing Vergil sounds believable, if a bit annoying. Tim Phillips (Dante) sounds thoroughly bored, even when the writing tells him to be shocked or angry. When he yells, he sounds like he doesn't mean it... just bad acting. The best voice actor would be the one who voiced Kat, whom I can find very few faults with.
    The music is okay, though like the game, overly edgy. It comes across as trying too hard, and it would've been nice if it were more like songs rather than anthems.

Graphics are nice, it looks surreal and menacing. That said, all the color and contrastlessness (yeah a new word) really got to me. Got a nice headache souvenir from Limbo. The characters sometimes look weird too - Kat's face shape seems to change with each cutscene, and V&D occasionally look like mannequins or something.

I don't see why this game gets high grades from some people. It's not even as good as DMC3, a game from 2005. Bayonetta 2 is far superior to DmC in almost every way, and in the end, it's more similar to DMC too. DmC threw everything (except gameplay) that defined Devil May Cry in the trash. And yeah, I am a DMC fan, but that also makes me a good critic of new products in the franchise. I advise you not to support this game. Get the HD Collection and DMC4 if you want a 'fix'. This game's only decent.
  15. Feb 8, 2015
    I'll start with the conclusion: this game's pretty bad. And I'm not even a DMC fanboy... I only got into DMC with DMC3 back in 2005, and I decently enjoyed DMC4.

- Story is bland, rehashes DMC3's plot along with DMC1's, and the ending is very similar to DMC4, only with a more negative or neutral connotation rather than 100% positive. Weird inconsistencies that cause the entire story to lose cohesion, such as when Dante's local strip club suddenly has no memory of him, and he's not on the list of approved guests, even though he was there at the start of the game.

- The writing is hamfisted and you can clearly tell the game tries too hard to be cool. Edginess. Edginess everywhere: 'f*** you', 'me a God VS you a piece of s***', one boss trying to puke on you while saying f*** you, Bill O'Reilly ripoff calling you a ''little S-word''. Mundus's concubine saying ''the world is at last your b-word... as am I'', which not only makes no sense since she was always his b-word, but her saying that was completely irrelevant to the situation and tasteless. It felt like the concubine was explaining her relation to Mundus to you, which was unnecessary and makes for a terrible script.
    Devil Trigger gives you red veins and... white hair? What happened to the white hair joke of ''never in a million years''? Blatant fanservice even though the fans were blasted and insulted multiple times by Ninja Theory.

- Gameplay has done away with lock-on function, limiting your combo potential since you have no directional input combos anymore. Some enemies can only be killed with certain weapons, which limits your combo potential too, and it's annoying when you're accidentally another enemy with the wrong weapon (no lock-on, remember?)
    You can button-mash your way through all battles, still being able to get high 'S' scores. You just need to damage enemies, you don't need to be stylish while doing it, which was a Devil May Cry staple.
    The game has nowhere near as many combos as DMC3 and DMC4, and the attacks are visually underwhelming. Sound effects are equally weak.
    You're often forced to fight in the air. Guns are underpowered just like Angelic weapons, and demonic weapons destroy the entire freaking world.

- Enemy design is interesting, but utlimately every enemy looks too much alike, and their attacks are often very similar too. I also felt that enemies could've used a bit more color and more imaginative designs than just 'demonic porcelain puppet with chainsaw attached to shoulder'. Designs like Berial and Credo from DMC4, and DMC3's bosses are just way better. Getting past enemies' defenses often comes down to wailing on them with an overpowered demonic weapon. Angelic weapons are weak as hell.
    All bosses can be beaten in pretty much the same way; get behind/beside them with platforming, wail on them, rinse and repeat.

- Cutscenes can be overly 'emo', even though that wasn't the angle the game was going for. Things like Dante looking for his 'heart' (emotions and humanity) by cutting himself open and checking if he still had his literal heart... it's just stupid and childish and incredibly cliché.

- Graphics are okay, characters look pretty realistic, though level design color gets annoying after a while, since everything's just red, red, red. And then blue, blue, blue. Green, blue, orange. ''Alright, level design = finished. Great job, everyone!''

I almost feel obligated to rate this game lower just because of Ninja Theory's insulting comments that old Dante isn't cool anymore, as though taste is now suddenly objective. As though they get to decide what we should think. Comparing old superhero-ish Dante to the cowboys from Brokeback Mountain lying in a grassy field... no. Just no. That was a blatant attempt to make old Dante look lame, and they took a boring picture to represent that. I even got the feeling that they were insinuating Dante was gay (probably not though), and I guess homosexuality is synonymous with 'uncool' nowadays.

The game is mediocre. It rips off the movie They Live, it's got a half-baked conspiracy story, boring characters, it mashes DMC3 and DMC1's plots together, and it doesn't really feel like Devil May Cry. Its gameplay is restrictive and sometimes very dull. I can't believe a Devil May Cry game from 2013 is actually worse than DMC3, from 2005. Yeah, it's better than DMC1, because DMC1 wasn't very good yet, it was just scraps of RE4. Besides, it was a 2001 game. Any reviewer worth their paycheck can't compare this to DMC1. If they *must* compare it to anything (I honestly hate comparing new games to old games), compare it to the best in the series, DMC3.

And no, the fans can't be the cause of DmC's financial failure. The fanbase is far too small and fluid to make much of a difference. DmC was made for a huge, western audience, and it was supposed to sell great regardless of the fanbase. It only sold 1.1 million. Even general gamers didn't like it. Glad to hear DMC5 is a possibility now.
  16. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
  17. Jan 23, 2013
    As much as I wanted to hate this game with a firey passion for the Edward Cullenization of Dante...I just cant. This game is nigh unplayable don't get me wrong. The characters are far from likable, so much so that if, at any part of the game, Dante had decided to kick a puppy, I doubt I would've been surprised. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a 13 year old boy who just learnedAs much as I wanted to hate this game with a firey passion for the Edward Cullenization of Dante...I just cant. This game is nigh unplayable don't get me wrong. The characters are far from likable, so much so that if, at any part of the game, Dante had decided to kick a puppy, I doubt I would've been surprised. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a 13 year old boy who just learned to swear from his abusive step-father. Basically they took a fun camp game we all love and "modernized" it. The gameplay is it's saving grace. Its tight, fast and a lot of fun, much like the old games. Although the lack of a lockon or targeting system, make parts of this game a nightmare. And thats to say nothing of the level and boss fights which are amazing! However the fact still remains that there are several middle fingers to the fans sprinkled about the game. All in all this game pushes me WAY to far and practically begs me to put it down. If I can't stand the main character, why would I want to play his game? The Problem is not that they changed Dante, It's what they changed him too. Expand
  18. Apr 27, 2013
    First of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is muchFirst of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is much more easy than the past Devil May Cry games, which is extremely disappointing, this game was pretty much made just for the money, however Capcom didn't get as much as they expect, i hope they cancel this and don't waste money anymore with this crap! Expand
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging the game by comparing it to the earlier installments I have to say is a lackluster experience, not because of the redesign, not because of the somewhat weird political commentary, but because the gameplay is way slower than even DMC2 which was the worst of the classic series in that regard, the lack of a dedicated lock on button and the unnecessary platform segments (for an action game) really makes this one lose points.

Also the music is kind of not quite fitting but different people have different tastes.

Is worth mentioning though SPOILERS: The scene where Vergil decides to force an abortion on Lilith is disgusting and completely unsettling, if the plot was a satire or parody the scene shows bad taste, if it was serious then sorry but is not engaging, there are a lot of emotions and feelings one likes to have when playing videogames, but disturbed by a woman crying for her unborn child being killed is not one of them.

The game overall is below average, rent it or get it used.
  20. Jan 28, 2013
    I'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convolutedI'm playing it right now on pc. Will get straight to the point: story could be interesting but the way its done it is just total boredom. Graphics is ok ( im playing on ultra settings ) but nothing to rave about. Levels are not very well designed and get boring really quickly - loads of gray corridors and a lot of copy/paste work. There is way too much platforming. Controls are convoluted and confusing, and camera somehow always sets itself in bad angle ( almost as bad as dmc2 but still worst then dmc4 which i was playing just before new one came out ). Lack of lock on is more problematic then it seamed from the reviews. Most of the time I'm "fighting" with those issues instead the enemies. Combat gets boring quickly with only about handful of combos, especially when spamming best moves does job quickly ( and if you want rank SSS, you just do different attacks for a moment until you get to SSS and then spam till last enemy fells ). Also when enemies are highlighted in yellow they are invincible and a lot of times they attack when they are in that mode just as you falling after jumping, and if you already used dodge in air once or you didn't even see those enemies on the screen, you F'ed, As for where I'm in the game there is one type which you have too pull, but there is no indication which chain you need to use at particular moment. Overall this game is a step down from Alice: Madness Returns ... Surprise! Yes, this game is almost like a carbon copy of Alice sequel, rather then being dmc game. Alice was a good game despite it flaws, but I I don't want dmc to be like that - I want dmc to be over the top - high octane action, with elegant controls and imaginative combat, and some puzzles/exploration cherry on top. And new dmc is not that. I would enjoy it ok if it would be a new franchise even thought it is mediocre at best, but because it's labeled as DMC it deserves all fans backslash it has got. Consoles get 4/10 because of 30fps Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    This game caused a lot of controversy, taking a beloved hardcore franchise and rebooting and changing everything to grab an audience that might not even exist is a risky move. But did it pay off? No. Despite changing VERY MUCH of the game due to fan outcry, we have an underwhelming action game made by an amateur developer. They are trying to sell this to us as a deep hardcore action titleThis game caused a lot of controversy, taking a beloved hardcore franchise and rebooting and changing everything to grab an audience that might not even exist is a risky move. But did it pay off? No. Despite changing VERY MUCH of the game due to fan outcry, we have an underwhelming action game made by an amateur developer. They are trying to sell this to us as a deep hardcore action title that lives up to or is BETTER than the original games, but it just isn't at all. The combat is easy, very easy. Getting a high score is ridiculously because two of the weapons are broken. One of the weapons in the game is entirely worthless in fact. There's no sense of balance. Everything has been dumbed down considerably, the lead combat designer even admits he has no idea how what you see in professional DMC player videos works. So the company Capcom chose has no idea how to make a game in the franchise or genre. Either the enemies are punching bags, or they're annoying and gimmicky and break the pace of the game entirely. As the game moves into its final 3rd, MOST of the enemies you face will be these gimmick enemies who can only be hit by a single weapon. It's frustrating that you are unlocking more weapons and moves but the game is forcing you to use less of them. The lack of a lock-on feature causes some issues with attacking what you want. The controls are clunky and slightly slow. The bosses are a joke. This is NOT the game to go to for your hardcore action fix. It's functional and at its best when you are fighting several small enemies at once. It is at its worst when you are fighting enemies who can only be damaged by a specific weapon. There's lots of unskippable cutscenes that break up the gameplay and there's platforming that doesn't add much to the game as well. Ninja Theory has never been known for good gameplay though, so how does it fare in the other parts of the game? Well not much better. The soundtrack for the game is comprised too much of electronic scrubbing and sweeping noises, it's boring and they could have easily done better. The voice acting is unemotional and amateurish. The story is bland, predictable, and the characters unlikable. I ended up liking the villains more than the heroes and never understood why the villains were the bad guy in the first place. Visually though, this game is amazing. This game may have changed my entire opinion on Unreal Engine 3, I always thought it was **** before I played DmC. But here they've crafted a gorgeous, visually spectacular game. The colors are vibrant, the environments are cool and interesting, the special effects are super cool. Sadly the environments get less inspired as the game goes on. The highlight of the game is Chapter 10, only halfway through the whole game. All in all DmC isn't good enough to justify carrying the Devil May Cry name and won't satisfy hardcore players. The 360 version is the way to go if your PC isn't beefy enough to run Unreal 3 as the PS3 version is very choppy Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    First i need to say, this is not Devil May Cry but it is DMC i say this because it does not feel like Devil May Cry we know and love but feel like a new game witch is why i call it DMC.
    So lets get the hair business out of the way first, i don't care about the change they made!
    The story is okey but i like the old one better, but it has some nice points that give the story merit. Combat
    Combat is the worst ever in the series, it just doesn't feel fun like the old one did.
    One thing i really love though is the levels how they change and how they look. They really nailed the look and feel of limbo and the demon world. Overall the game is not bad but it`s not a that good either. Rent it or get it when it`s cheaper.
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm generally not that in touch with video gaming these days, but I like to play the occasional sequel to titles I remember fondly from teenage years, alongside other recommendations. I was intrigued by DmC, which was a reboot of Devil May Cry, a series I enjoyed for it's likable characters, dark world and the sort of combat you love to learn, and learn to love. It being a reboot I assumedI'm generally not that in touch with video gaming these days, but I like to play the occasional sequel to titles I remember fondly from teenage years, alongside other recommendations. I was intrigued by DmC, which was a reboot of Devil May Cry, a series I enjoyed for it's likable characters, dark world and the sort of combat you love to learn, and learn to love. It being a reboot I assumed it would be like DMC4, a new setting, maybe new characters, but ultimately the same DMC, because it's not a beloved franchise by accident. I'm going by the logic that Expand
  24. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is simply 'Meh'. There is nothing outstanding that will warrant a purchase.

Under normal circumstances I would rate it higher, if the game wasn't pretending to be a Devil May Cry game. I've noticed in official reviews that the game is apparently 'amazing compared to Devil May Cry 1' which I think may be a decade old by this point. Big game reviewers are trying to claim this

Big game reviewers are trying to claim this game is fantastic, gripping and amazing - You can see who gets ad revenue from Capcom if their reviews sing along those lines.

This game is Heavenly Sword with terrible story and writing, nothing written in this game is worth listening to. Fear for your sanity if you are looking forward to this story.

This game is a shell of the former glory that was DMC3 and (the Dante parts) of DMC4.
    Honestly, I think that Ninja Theory only played DMC2 and Nero in DMC4 when they were designing this mess.

In closing, this game is average. I rated it slightly lower because it's trying to be DMC.
    Fanboys, please don't immediately scream hate in my direction, I tried to be as unbiased as possible when playing this, and I'm not particularly happy with the death of one of my favorite franchises.
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    For each good aspect i find like the well implemented platforming, the varying combos, and interesting boss fights, I find another bad flaw to match it. The game is a hack and slash and plays like platformer. The varying combos become useless towards the end of the game. Interesting and unique boss fights like bob barbas are offset by more story driven ones that dumb down what could'veFor each good aspect i find like the well implemented platforming, the varying combos, and interesting boss fights, I find another bad flaw to match it. The game is a hack and slash and plays like platformer. The varying combos become useless towards the end of the game. Interesting and unique boss fights like bob barbas are offset by more story driven ones that dumb down what could've been very difficult fights; Vergil, Mundus, and the slurm slug. To place a cherry on the cake, the new Dante seems to be a prequel to what we've seen in the earlier games. His catch phrases seem less funny and more aggressive; Like a child trying to hurt someones feelings at the playground. Expand
  26. Jan 15, 2013
    DISCLAIMER: As with all reviews, they should be taken with a grain of salt as they are opinions and like opinions they differ considerably from person to person.

Review: DmC: Devil May Cry is an decent game within it's own merits but falls short in many other area for one the combat is accessible enough for anyone of any level of gaming to pick up this game and almost immediately began

Review:
    DmC: Devil May Cry is an decent game within it's own merits but falls short in many other area for one the combat is accessible enough for anyone of any level of gaming to pick up this game and almost immediately began to enjoy it. The combat is made to be as gratifying as possible for players, making the player feel accomplished with it's combo system. The combat is done really well, however my major complaints are simply that there isn't enough of it nor is it challenging enough and nowhere near as exciting as the games before it in the series. The game tries it's best to offer variety in its combat with new enemies, new weapons, and new abilities but the game limits you in how you approach enemies, said enemies require said weapon in order to be defeated. That kills the fun that DMC is known for, being "stylish" gone with the days of multiple styles, multiple move sets/weapons, almost every fight can be approached how the player wanted. In DmC it's approached depends solely on how the developer's want you to. Lack of player creativity in this department.

Moving on to the stage design. The stage design is brilliant; Ninja Theory knocked out this one out of the park, the platforming is amazing and Ninja Theory should really consider making a platforming based game; they've proven themselves well in this area. Unfortunately in DmC there is simply way too much of it, and not enough combat. The game feels slowed down and tedious half way through the game due to the over abundance of floating platforms the player must jump on/interact with. It really conflicts with what they were trying to do (a fast paced action game).

In regard to the story it feels like it's trying to be too many things at once, it wants to be hardcore, or it wants to be comedic or it wants to be shocking or it wants to be suspenseful. It just doesn't know, it's trying it's best to excel at all areas but ends up falling short all together and because of this the story (although told in a unique way) becomes uninteresting, protagonist has no character other than trying to appeal to a younger demographic with swears and rude gestures and the like; other characters in the story have little to no personality, become difficult for player to relate to. And a central plot which can be easily determined from the first two missions.

SUMMARY
    +Good combat! +Really good, well thought out stage design.
    +Very accessible -Excessive platforming detracts from the main focus of the game which is the combat
    -Story is unmemorable, tries too hard to be taken seriously
    -Characters are unlikeable and have no depth
    -Not enough variety in combat
    -Graphical downgrade from it's predecessor
    -Limited by it's engine. (Unreal 3)

4/10 - Game is average at best, although it does well in making combat accessible it falls short in many other areas of the game and is nowhere near the quality in comparison of that of it's predecessors in the series.

If you're interested in picking up DmC: Devil May Cry, I strongly recommend you give the game a rent before purchasing.
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    To begin with, i think it's rediculous that paid-reviewers are giving this game scores in the 90s and above. When i say paid reviewers, that can be taken in two ways, either they are paid as a job to review games professionally, or Capcom has bribed them to just give 8/9 out of 10 as a rule, no matter how much of a train wreck it is. This is one of those games.

To begin with, when

To begin with, when you're making a reboot of a series, be it a movie, or a video game, or any piece of media, it helps to check what came before, as a guide-post to show you what was worth keeping, and what needed to be fixed. The Batman series did this, Nolan looked at what was good about the old batman movies, and what went wrong, he kept the dark under-tones, the gadgets, the focus on action. But dropped the campy 60s vibe, and the over-the-top villain designs.

DmC has done half of this. They set out to re-model the old Dante, who, as far as i know wasn't really the reason the game series was worse. But fair enough, they re-modeled him, into a foul mouthed brat basically, a far different affair to the camp, humourous, over-the-top Dante we used to have. The new Dante swears every other sentence, and is quite happy to let his brother kill babies and pregnant women, not really hero material, i know, not even anti-hero material. But giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the old one needed the reboot, fine, we'll ignore this, the thing Ninja theory have focused on as 'the sole reason DmC is controvercial', was the dante overhall.

Problem is, Devil May Cry, has only ever been on the very surface of it, a game about visuals, story, and Dante. The core of the game is it's game-play, games are supposed to be played, not watched. Old Devil May Cry was known for it's challenge, it's fluid and perfect combat system. The new DmC has taken absolutely nothing from the old series staple game-play system, it has the rankings of D-C-B-A-S etc. But it no longer has styles, and you are dropped to a bare minimum of weapons. The gameplay is effectively lifted from Ninja Theory's past failed game, heavenly sword. There is no lock on, you're trapped with 3 very boring, standard weapons. And in total, the game has a lifespan that lasts about one sitting. It isn't very difficult, whatsoever, even on it's harder modes.

All in all, the game is as bad as the negative hype built it to be. I was hoping that the game would just get past the basic negative hype of 'Dante looks different, boo!' and have a solid action game underneath with a decent story. Instead, it's built on that negativity, even the core gameplay is missing. Either way, Devil May Cry as a series is done for, if this game sells well, there'll be another, and the old series will be replaced. If this game fails, we won't see another game for many years.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unfortunately, this game is a prime example of what is wrong with the state of the gaming industry today. I'll make this quick. Here is a list of things that just didn't work:

1) No fighting styles. In DMC3 you had 6 styles, and in DMC4 you had 5 - and in that game you could even switch between them. These styles allowed for a high number of techniques to be used, and added a variety of ways to replay each mission. In DmC, although the designers have attempted to consolidate all the general ideas of the styles into one style - ultimately it is simplified, with dozens of things missed out.

2) 30 frames per second instead of 60. This means that the game looks less smooth, but more importantly, it means it is half as responsive. You have half as much information to work with when anticipating an enemy attack, and the delay between you pressing a button and anything happening on screw is doubled.

3) No lock on. Especially important when trying to single out a particular enemy, if you want to drag them towards you with the whip, or use a particular attack (if they are only susceptible to certain things, you don't want to accidentally target them with a move which doesn't work on them). Also, with no lock on, it means you cannot tell how much health enemies have left, particularly important in DMD mode.

4) Style system doesn't work. In DMC3, the style meter went up rapidly, but then would decrease rapidly. You had to use a variety of moves in order to maintain an SSS rank. Now, the style meter will not drop, unless you get hit. So you can stand around all day, or just use the same move over and over again. 5) Demon dodge is ridiculous. If you time the demon dodge correctly, you are given a style boost which can lead to you very rapidly getting SSS. You may argue that you can get to SSS very easily in DMC3 as well, but as I said above - it would drop very quickly too in that game. Now, if you can get to SSS in DmC using one or two combos, then that means the rest of the fight does not encourage variation or style of any kind.

6) Staying in the air makes you too safe, and it's too easy to stay in the air. There are moves which can allow you to stay in the air indefinitely - which is bad enough. But then couple this with the grapples which can just pull in the next enemy - or use the mid-air launcher with the scythe - and it means that once you get to SSS, you can just jump in the air, and keep doing that all day, it's broken. In addition, the areas you fight in are just too big, so it's very easy to get away, grapple a single enemy and kill them, and repeat.

7) Guns do barley any damage and don't give you enough style. Also, there are only 3 guns, and so many of the gunslinger moves are no longer present. You can't even aim in two directions with ebony and ivory. I really miss Artemis, and there's no gun stinger with the shotgun either? I know they took that out in 4, and I hated that too.

8) As well as the scythe being too useful to drag enemies into the air, the axe is also just way too overpowered in general, giving you too much damage, having very long ranged attacks - which launch enemies! And also providing you with too much style. Also, Aquila is ridiculous, allowing you to disable enemies for long periods of time, and even suck in multiple enemies from all around you, so that they are in a neat bunch for you to hit all at once. That kind of thing should not be available to you at the touch of a button, it's too powerful.

9) Hardly any boss fights - I mean I think I counted only about 5 or 6? Maybe 7? There were lots more than that in DMC3. Also they're more like set pieces than anything, and there's always nonsensical interruptions with cut scenes which bugs me.

10) No taunt. Some might not think it's a big deal, but to me it is a great way to appear stylish, punctuate a combo and show off, farm the DT, and for something to do when enemies are at range.

11) Weird controls. I don't like having to hold down Angel or Demon buttons to get moves to come out. It should be toggle activated. Also, two buttons for dodge? Really? Also, there is absolutely no point in the standard dodge, when the angel and demon ones have abilities and no draw back. 12) DT makes no sense. It isn't a devil trigger, it's some kind of weird anti-gravity thing. Dante does not turn into a demon anymore. I don't understand what it means, and how is he an angel either? 13) Childish script and misunderstanding of the characters. You think Dante is bad? Wait for Vergil. Some of the things out of his mouth are plain ridiculous.

14) Too much platforming and walking around, seriously, sometimes there is 8 minutes of cutscenes and walking / jumping before an enemy spawns in a mission! Replaying some of these missions to get the top SSS ranking is tedious as you have to go through all this empty space.
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    This is not the game you might be expecting.
    This is not the game you might be expecting.
    Perhaps you were eager to get your hands on this game because of its title. "DEVIL MAY CRY", it says, claiming to be a part of the superb franchise that revolutionized hack and slash gameplay and set the standard for 3D action games since its debut. This game brought this revolution to a full stop and instead chose to dumb down the complex combo mechanics that its prequels have perfected over the years.

'Streamlined' is the right word to describe the gameplay offered in DMC. Linear corridors, nearly broken combo mechanics that offer up infinite attack strings early on in the game, and a story that is either predictable or just horrendously insulting to the player. You will see very grotesque imagery throughout your playthrough (starting at the main menu screen) and dialogue that is downright juvenile.

If you yearn for a well designed hack and slash game, don't get your hopes up with this one. It is playable when it comes to mechanics, but the real problem is being able to actually endure the dialogue and imagery that the designers of this game seem to consider artistic.
  30. Jan 16, 2013
    This game was a average game on whole. But from the DmC series we expected more. The plot came off as juvenile, the ending was laughably bad, the combat was fun but shallow compared to DmC 4, and it is also a much more easier game compared to the others. This game put more into advertising then actually game-play development and story. Sad to see a series like this come up with such a bad game.
  31. Jan 16, 2013
    The combat does not feel fluid to say the very least of one of the commonly praised aspects of the newest iteration of Capcom's Devil may Cry. This is no doubt in part due to the design decision of going from the series standard of 60 frames-per-second down to barely 30 frames-per-second. Also there is an incredible lack of combat when comparing previous titles in the series with this one,The combat does not feel fluid to say the very least of one of the commonly praised aspects of the newest iteration of Capcom's Devil may Cry. This is no doubt in part due to the design decision of going from the series standard of 60 frames-per-second down to barely 30 frames-per-second. Also there is an incredible lack of combat when comparing previous titles in the series with this one, this re-imagining opts for platforming instead. Interestingly enough as well is that the platforming is one of the few things I'll admit was decent about the game but it was more the unique level design and beauty of the limbo-based environments rather than the actual platforming. The story feels nonsensical and not in the zany way of many high-octane beat em' ups but rather in a Branded and They Live mixed sort of way with a good bit of the OWS(Occupy Wall Street) movement thrown in a giant pot and left to simmer in the sun for a month straight. In terms of other design decisions, the music had effort put into it and does fit the tone the game decided to run with. Overall this does feel like another studio's attempt at recreating the Devil May Cry magic but without great success, I would only recommend this game for renting from a RedBox or Blockbuster or the equivalent thereof. Expand
  32. Jan 18, 2013
    First and foremost i have been a Devil May Cry fan since the first one so every time a new DMC game was being released i got hyped over it. Now since this reboot, my biggest fear was that the gameplay won't live up to its predecessor, i did not care if he had white hair or not that wasn't my main concern of this reboot. It was the gameplay that made me love this series so much because itFirst and foremost i have been a Devil May Cry fan since the first one so every time a new DMC game was being released i got hyped over it. Now since this reboot, my biggest fear was that the gameplay won't live up to its predecessor, i did not care if he had white hair or not that wasn't my main concern of this reboot. It was the gameplay that made me love this series so much because it was innovative. Now with this reboot i felt like the series has taken a step back in terms of gameplay. It's not as deep or complex as the ones before it and i found it to be very repetitive and lacking innovation from previous games. Also the story and the characters in this game are very childish and immature. I have nothing against violence and offensive language or even nudity in video games when it is done right, but in this game it's way over the top and very excessive that it seems to me that this game was developed by a bunch of immature emo screamo gothic teenagers. I am very disappointed in Capcom for approving this game as a reboot thinking that us Americans and Europeans are into childish and immature themes of this game, and thinking that will be all over it.... Expand
  33. Feb 1, 2013
    Well.. this is really easy, the game is not bad, but unfortunately compare to the previous Devil may cry is not. Gameplay is less responsive, it has less combos(and the ones that it have cannot be done between one another make in it repetitive), and the difficulty level is not enough for you to make an effort of fighting. The platforms sections are boring, the "world trying to eat you"Well.. this is really easy, the game is not bad, but unfortunately compare to the previous Devil may cry is not. Gameplay is less responsive, it has less combos(and the ones that it have cannot be done between one another make in it repetitive), and the difficulty level is not enough for you to make an effort of fighting. The platforms sections are boring, the "world trying to eat you" is not exciting and doesn't invite you to run and bosses are easy. Graphic are good, but not enough, to brightly for the style. Story might be good but since I liked the last one more I can't make a proper assessment. And the music is really good, but I like more the previous soundtracks. In overall the game is mediocre because they change it for a more easy and average gamer and has lost its essence and fun for the sake of a better investment as a project. Expand
  34. Jan 15, 2013
    The characterization and writing is terrible.

The combat, from what I have played so far, is decent. But not quite like the older DMC titles But that's no excuse, because combat is something they draw heavily from its predecessors and previous Ninja Theory titles . Kinda of hard to screw that up doing something when you have a defined template to work with. That being said,
    The characterization and writing is terrible.

That being said, everything that DMC 5 tries to do to distinguish itself from the previous DMC titles is where it falls apart. The way they characterize Dante and Vergil makes them extremely unlikable, Kat seems to serve as a plot device more than a character, and the story is incoherent and too self-serious. From what I've seen in the "Official" reviews, let's say GiantBomb for example, it is clear that whoever did that review had not played the previous DMC games. Maybe that's fine for those whose first DMC game is this one. But fans of the franchise tend to have expectations and higher standards, and this particular title does not meet them. So all and all I can I can say that this game is designed to rope in a new audience, and flip off its old one.
  35. Feb 2, 2013
    Ok let´s take a look into the first problem, Dante himself and it´s not only his new look it´s his personality, in the other games he was always cool, funny and a great comic relief character and a badass. In this game the guy lives in a trailer, has casual sex and it´s just an ashoole and tries to be "cool" by swearing and saying you all the time is just a punk and yeah I know thatOk let´s take a look into the first problem, Dante himself and it´s not only his new look it´s his personality, in the other games he was always cool, funny and a great comic relief character and a badass. In this game the guy lives in a trailer, has casual sex and it´s just an ashoole and tries to be "cool" by swearing and saying you all the time is just a punk and yeah I know that there is a freaking DLC featuring a Dante DMC3 costume but the problem is that even with that skin it´s still this punk Dante it doesn´t fix anything.
    The combat is a serious step down from DMC3 and 4, first of there are no styles in the game, secondly the style meter is beyond broken, it only goes down when you get hit but if you reach the SSS rank it stays there with no cooldown, and thirly there is no lock-on and that´s a pain in the ass specially if you want to aim for the flying annoying enemies.
    If you´re looking for a modern encarnation of DMC go play Bayonneta is made by the same director of the original DMC. just avoid this game
  36. Jan 15, 2013
    Ok i am not a fan of DMC but i liked the DMC 3 i though it was a good game with great style and combat. This game has a good combat but i just hate easy games and this reboot it is one of them. It is so much easier than the past other games that i just didnt like it is a bit fun but the lack of challenge really pull me off and then i lost interest.
  37. Jan 15, 2013
    First, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was veryFirst, let's talk about what's good: The graphics are acceptable, as is expected from an unreal engine game.The color palette is good (but slowly worsens and turns bland over the course of the game.) Depending on who you are, the ease of play* can be a selling point. Virgil's voice actor put out a good performance. Finally, I think that the art-direction for the game environments was very good in some places, although the level design itself was bland. Now, the bad. Where can one even begin? This game is an abortion (you see what I did there? Nice shot, Virgil. har har) when it comes to being a Devil May Cry game. Seemingly everything that was well loved about its namesake- challenging enemies and incredibly deep combat mechanics- has been thrown out. Instead, we are presented with shallow, repetitive "gameplay" that was seemingly added on as an afterthought and is only there to serve as a vehicle to move the juvenile, fanfiction-quality plot forward. We are shuttled from one un-interesting cutscene to the next by annoying, glitchy platforming. Sometimes, these glitches cause one to die- prepare to acquaint yourself with the loading screen. However, dying has little consequence, as save-points are everywhere. This sucks what little tension was left out of the "gameplay." I put quotation marks around the word gameplay for the following reason: From some point at the middle of the game, actual combat gameplay is completely overshadowed by the narrative. In one particular mission, now infamously known as the "baby killing level," absolutely no combat is required at all. Why is this game a reboot of a series known for its combat when it is nothing like the others? Why is it named "Devil May Cry"? On that note, let's turn our attention to another problem with this game: The characters. Dante is no longer a happy-go-lucky action-hero caricature that eats strawberry sundaes. Instead, he's a foul-mouthed teenybopper who smokes cigarettes in his high school bathroom and has a problem with authority. The supporting cast, particularly Dante's brother, has also seen significant changes for the worse. Finally, I want to talk about the attitudes of this game's creators and the gaming media which is too quick to come to their defense. From the very first showing of this game, Devil May Cry fans have been told that what they enjoyed about the previous games were wrong. In spite of this, the enormous amount of negative attention which the game received cowed the developers into making certain changes. However, none of the issues which fans have brought their protestations against have been met with maturity or decency. DmC's creative director and Ninja Theory talking head Tameem Antoniades has gone out of his way to appear callous and loathing towards fans of the series, repeatedly calling those who have questioned his "artistic vision" as "haters," borrowing a phrase currently in vogue with suburban twelve year olds and phoney media outlets. Antoniades' actions have alienated much of the original Devil May Cry fanbase, who learned quickly that this game is not marketed towards them. If they will not buy the game, that means that a new market must be found. Enter CAPCOM's marketing blitz. Virtually every "genuine" review of DmC up until release lauded immense praise on the game, skimming over multiple faults and plainly ignoring the fact that it is, in some ways, a resoundingly mediocre gaming experience. Each media outlet has been very consistent in ending their reviews, whatever their wording might be, with extremely high numerical scores. Something stinks. CAPCOM, faced with several financial (if not critical) failures like Resident Evil 6 is banking on this game succeeding. Therefore, they have turned the media hype machine to eleven. Every review must shine, and pay no mind to the advertisement for the game in the banner ads... ahem... In closing, this game is a stain upon its lineage and the bizarro idolization of it by the media only solidifies the divide between gaming "journalism" and reality in the minds of gamers everywhere. The irony isn't lost on us, you know: A game whose story is centered on corporate mind control and evil media, being forced down the throats of gamers by a sleazy corporation and corrupt gamer "journalism" that is about as impartial as a toy commercial. Ninja Theory: In the words of Dante from DmC, "You're an ###hole." I give this corporate shlock and the media noise-pollution surrounding it a 3 out of 10 for "awful". Expand
  38. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Right, first off I will try my damnedest to review this game as a new series as opposed to a sequel to Devil May Cry. First, the major reason this game is getting so much flak: the story. and characters. While this game was intended to have a great story compared to other games of the same genre, DmC fails horribly at being either an interesting or fun story. I suppose it isn't that the story is bad, but rather it feels forced. There's a cutscene at the start of a chapter, one at the end, and some in-between the chapters. Not so bad, right? But they end up taking more time to go through than the actually playing the game. And my god, the characters. Kat is the only one that is semi-likable, probably because she's rather passive. Dante is on of the inconsistent characters I've seen in a long time. And the antagonists. It's been a while since I've seen sympathetic antagonists, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was meant to be a big bad type of guy, yet the protagonists managed to far, far worse. An example: Kat is taken hostage by Mundus, the big bad. Dante managed to capture his wife, Lilith, and offers her to Mundus. He accepts, and gives Kat to Dante. Vergil shoots Lilth, which I forgot to mention is pregnant, in the stomach, let's her realize what happens, then kills her, all the while he is smiling. Dante never even asks why Vergil did it, either, and even taunts Mundus about his dead child and wife. Don't think that tit was Ninja Theory's intention to make Vergil seem like the bad guy either, as something similar happened in Enslaved before it was fixed by an outside writer. But even of the story, the gameplay is where it should shine. If you can get past the scythe, Rebellion and guns being useless. Or the boring enemies that telegraph their attacks miles away, or the repetitive platforming that is forced in pretty much every mission, or the constant cutscenes that plague the game. The combat is fun, by far the best combat from Ninja Theory yet. Unfortunately, fun combat does not help the boss fights. Out of six bosses, only one is one-on-one fast paced boss. The rest of them, like the regular enemies, telegraph their moves a mile away, with a cutscene roughly every one fourth of their health bar that, again, breaks any kind of flow of combat there might have been. I feel very generous giving the game a 3/10, as there are better games coming out within the next few months. I would not recommend this game to any one unless they could get it for ~20$. If the storys is something that you're interested in, I would recommend They Live. Hell, it even has better combat than DmC. If you're interested in the combat, the DMC collection is a pretty damn good collection. I still don't know why they skipped making a second DMC game and just went to the third one though...
    TLDR: The game's story is bad, the characters are horrible, the environments are neat but useless in the end, there are constant framerate drops the combat, while fun, is covered with bad platforming and constant cutscenes, and last, the horrible, horrible voice acting and models of the characters.
  39. DMP
    Jan 15, 2013
    The game isn't completely horrible as some make it out to be. But if you're the type for hack-'n'-slash, especially a fan of the Devil May Cry series, you're in for some real disappointment. I am a long term fan of DMC, starting off from the first playing up until 4. Now, the Devil May Cry series isn't supposed to be known for it's story, but after the developers Ninja Theory made someThe game isn't completely horrible as some make it out to be. But if you're the type for hack-'n'-slash, especially a fan of the Devil May Cry series, you're in for some real disappointment. I am a long term fan of DMC, starting off from the first playing up until 4. Now, the Devil May Cry series isn't supposed to be known for it's story, but after the developers Ninja Theory made some comments about their DmC story rivaling literature and cinema (paraphrased) of today, you might want to consider it a selling point. And after you play this game, you will realize that that selling point is in the other direction. The story is horrible, and progresses its self through cutscenes after cutscenes of nonsense. It doesn't stop there; Dante constantly talks and deliver the worst one-liners in the series in this game that make you want to cringe.

The combat is way dumbed down, with the removal of lock-on and taunt from previous game in the series, leaves you with simple button-mashing on poorly developed enemies.

The target audience for Capcom and NT with this game are newcomers: younger generation of gamers and casual video game players that never had a DMC experience before. They may get those people, but Capcom and NT have thrown a few middle-fingers to existing fans throughout its development and handled poor user feedback and criticism shamefully. It'll be a shame if there is a sequel in this reboot and not in the classic DMC series.

I don't mind the music change personally, but it does get dull after a while listening to the same dubstep music over and over.

This game still has merits. I think it rightfully deserves a 4 for still being playable, just extremely and exhausting mediocre for a pedantic experience.
  40. Jan 15, 2013
    I was a long time fan of DMC, but this DmC isn't the same game I once loved. The combat was touted to be more accessible, but I found it too easy as a veteran of the previous games. When the game does let you play its a slow button masher, but action is readily interrupted by cutscenes and the whole experience became an annoyance by the end of things. The weapon switching was not instantI was a long time fan of DMC, but this DmC isn't the same game I once loved. The combat was touted to be more accessible, but I found it too easy as a veteran of the previous games. When the game does let you play its a slow button masher, but action is readily interrupted by cutscenes and the whole experience became an annoyance by the end of things. The weapon switching was not instant like I felt that it should be, the lag between my trigger pulls and the actual in game action was noticeable and irritating. The fire and ice enemies made the game more of a chore when fighting in areas of mixed enemies, this severely limited my choices and combos would fall flat as the lack of lock-on would send Dante attacking in the wrong directions. The story was abysmal, but I don't buy action games for the story. Unfortunately the gameplay cannot float this game alone with more platforming than actual fights. Expand
  41. Jan 15, 2013
    First of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness andFirst of all, I'm not some huge DMC fan. Infact, the only game in the series I've beaten to completion is DMC 4. So I'll mostly be talking about this game as a stand alone, rather than a continuation of the series (which quites honestly, it's barely that). The only good thing going for this game is the combat. But even that is flawed in many respects. The weapons have a strong newness and powerful feel to them for the first half of the game that disappears later on as enemies start demanding certain types used. This destroys any semblance of flow the game may have had. This coupled with a meaningless combo system (since you can get SSS without trying) leaves everything feeling generally hollow.

The environment has much the same issue. At first it's an interesting romp through many varied and somewhat interesting zones, and while the scenery looks nice, it does nothing save throw you into the occasional, overly simplistic platforming puzzle. When I said it's like the combat, well, I meant that it gets worse as time goes on. The scenery just becomes generic and boring later on, as if the devs just gave up and said **** it".

The story is where the game truly dims. Everyone knows it at this point: the story is childish, cliched, and seemingly written by a 12 year old with a chip no their shoulder. Pretty much every character has the inability to act their age, and the story line itself is a complete bore and would still be a bore even if the characters acted with a sliver of maturity. As a Devil May Cry game, this should be buried and forgotten. As a generic action game, this should be played with the volume off and all cut scenes skipped. It's certainly not worth it's full price, and it sickens me that there are so many high "official" reviews which show me nothing more than either A. Reviewers have lost all credibility and ability to rate fairly. or B. Bribery is alive and well.

Don't buy this game, if you haven't played earlier Devil May Cry games, I can at least say 4 is worth it. If you have played earlier Devil May Cry games, play them again, because this one isn't one.
  42. Jan 15, 2013
    Anyone reading this review will understand that i am a original fan of the series, but ill try to be objective.
    This DMC games seems like a god of war clone with a "sazzy" pottymouth protagonist with a "attitude" Combat is okay, not great but ok. Boss fights are downright horrible. Graphics seems like something taken out from epic mickey and seems out of place but i suppose its "surreal"
    Some story elements are ok enough,but the whole thing reeks of being made for like 15 yrs that wont see the obvious plot direction. Its clear that this game was made for a demographics around 13-15 that still think saying **** is cool. Sadly am 28

Straight to the point, if you like dubstep, 30fps combat,swearing, "special" heroes that are "developing" and your born after 1999 then this game is a good choice when it comes on sale.

If your a fan of the DMC franchise you should stay clear of it...

if your a fan of Dante the character you should avoid it like the plague
  43. Jan 15, 2013
    Forget the old games, DmC: Devil May Cry fails on it's own merit. With an incredibly low skill requirement, combat system that restricts experimentation through "color-coded" enemies, painful platforming, and frustrating controls, there's little to like about this game. While the levels look great, they are as linear as can be and "secret" areas are ham-fistedly obvious with the onlyForget the old games, DmC: Devil May Cry fails on it's own merit. With an incredibly low skill requirement, combat system that restricts experimentation through "color-coded" enemies, painful platforming, and frustrating controls, there's little to like about this game. While the levels look great, they are as linear as can be and "secret" areas are ham-fistedly obvious with the only challenge being whether or not Dante will choose to grapple correctly or fall to his death. Enemies are passive and lack any real originality, save for a few decent enemy types. The game performs terribly and framerate drops are common and obvious. While the game manages to be relatively bug-free, a few glaring examples still exist such as Dante's ability to jump all the way to the sky box using his occasionally trusty grappling hook. Complaints about the story alone could fill a review several times over but it is the actual gameplay mechanics that make Ninja Theory's latest attempt at success fall flat on its face. Expand
  44. Jan 19, 2013
    This is a downgrade from the original series, very slow paced, removing the lock on bottom removed the ability to do more combos and there for removing the reason for the style meter which is broken, does not go down if you do not receive damage. Really neutral character design but worst dialog ever, just for that is under 5 out of 10, this is more insults than anything else, not funny atThis is a downgrade from the original series, very slow paced, removing the lock on bottom removed the ability to do more combos and there for removing the reason for the style meter which is broken, does not go down if you do not receive damage. Really neutral character design but worst dialog ever, just for that is under 5 out of 10, this is more insults than anything else, not funny at all and not cool. Lack of enemies on the screen, does not feel like is hard. Expand
  45. Jan 30, 2013
    Terrible, just terrible. His one-liners are so idiotic and it makes you feel that he tries to hard. There's too much swearing to actually add to the non-existent humour and as for the characters, oh boy. Vergil is a douche bag that talks too high and mighty for himself, i understand that Vergil is very smart and all but the way they portray him, first of all he's ugly second of all get aTerrible, just terrible. His one-liners are so idiotic and it makes you feel that he tries to hard. There's too much swearing to actually add to the non-existent humour and as for the characters, oh boy. Vergil is a douche bag that talks too high and mighty for himself, i understand that Vergil is very smart and all but the way they portray him, first of all he's ugly second of all get a better voice actor, not some dude that sounds like he's trying too hard to sound smart. Dante is just horrible throughout the whole game that it's not even funny. For a demon king Mundus is very human like and just has a not right feel to it. Who the **** is Kat? And all in all, Dmc is terrible, it has nice graphics and a killer soundtrack but it's terrible. Devil May Cry 3 was the best Devil may cry game ever created, bring it back. That is all. Expand
  46. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is very disappointing if you have played the previous games. So don't expect any new and improved features. The characters are boring and none of them are very likable, the story isn't very good, and it isn't very fun. The soundtrack was pretty bad in my opinion, as I am not a fan of heavy metal, but I won't count that against the game. The combat is fun for a while but it is farThis game is very disappointing if you have played the previous games. So don't expect any new and improved features. The characters are boring and none of them are very likable, the story isn't very good, and it isn't very fun. The soundtrack was pretty bad in my opinion, as I am not a fan of heavy metal, but I won't count that against the game. The combat is fun for a while but it is far too easy, you can achieve S ranks without much of a problem. The boss battles are one of the greatest aspects about his game because they require you to use tactics to exploit the bosses weakness. It really doesn't stick with you when you turn the game off. I played through the game once and never felt the urge to play again. While it isn't absolute garbage, I have to give it a three out of ten because I have played much better games. Expand
  47. May 27, 2014
    Good graphics. Only this. The rest stinks. Really hated the game. Judge me, I'm not a big fan of Devil May Cry series, only played 'cuz I thought that it could be fun. I was mistaken. Very mistaken.
  48. Jan 20, 2013
    Namco....what have you done

you don't see people taking Kratos and then making him some scrawny emo kid do you....nooOO

I wonder if it was worth the change though because fans are clearly pissed despite the critics review, but then again no one ever listens to critics these days because they always either get bribed or just make bad decisions...much like Namco did this time
  49. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've had my doubts about DmC: Devil may Cry since it's announcement for obvious reasons. The cover art alone with the new model of Dante is not a pretty sight to see as the face of what was an amazing game series. I tried to look beyond that when I finally picked up this game so I could finally say once again that I have beaten all the DMC games. This however was not a possibility. This game contradicts everything that made DMC great. Why does Dante no longer know his father, why is his mother an angel? why didn't Dante recognise Vergil as his brother? Why does Dante become loving and caring? WHY DANTES REMODEL? I tried to enjoy the game by looking past these issues but it was just not possible. I understand that this game is a "reboot" but it is just not needed. An awful story, awful level design and awful boss battles and strategies. Tie all this with the "Limbo to real life" game settings and it just creates a confusing atmosphere that is difficult to follow and just outright makes zero sense. Even the final battle is just a literal copy and paste combination of the bosses from Devil may Cry (the original) and Devil may Cry 4. I guess this is what happens when a new company takes over a popular gaming franchise as seen with many other games recently. Not to mention to most controversial scene in this game which essentially is a massive F**K YOU to long time DmC fans. Nice move Ninja Theory. Expand
  50. Jan 20, 2013
    This game is bad, the combat can be fun but the enemies are just to easy and the difficult mode are forced and don't feel natural, the history is to plain and childish ("we will conquer the world trow debts" ).
    And the characters, they really **** this up, vergil now use guns and have 0 honor, is motives are like any other run of the mill antagonist , dante is a **** punk - emo, that in the first 20 min u only want to kill him and his new partner is so weak that u cant just buy the rest of the history.

Congrats capcom you kill another great game you **** resident evil and now you are coming for Devil May Cry
  51. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a bad game.

This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're fighting EVIL DEMON BILL O 'REILLY head, they have to make him yell DO IT LIVE, in case you hadn't caught on to the fact that it was bill o reilly.

The only good part of the story is the interaction between Dante and Vergil, which hilariously is ruined by the ending, because Ninja Theory had to have a sequel hook. Oh, and the final boss fight occurs for literally no reason whatsoever.

The Combat is bad. Slow, plodding, and boring. No Lock-On limits options. Enemies requiring specific weapons limits options. The ability to fly forever as long as you have an enemy to beat on makes the game pathetically easy. The weapons are all either useless or overpowered. Certain enemies are a chore to fight because they only take damage from the weakest weapons and everything has too much health, especially on higher difficulties.

No Replayability. Replayability in previous DMC games and games like Ninja Gaiden come from the grading system. You replay levels to get a high score, or on a harder difficulty because traditionally games like this have NOT had gradient difficulty. In Devil May Cry games before this one, increasing the difficulty made enemies behave differently, sometimes radically so. In DmC it just gives them much more health, and slightly increases the damage they do.

The style system is utterly broken. It's based on damage rather than variety, allowing players to button mash their way into a perfect rank. It never degrades unless hit, a vast departure from previous games. The 'Completition' score, which is based on how many secrets you find, locks when you find everything, so you never have to collect them again on subsequent playthroughs of the level. This allows players to cheese the grading system by collecting everything on one run, and then jetting through the level as quickly as possible on another to get the best time ranking. Perfect scores in other games are testaments to your skill. In DmC they are testaments to having 20 minutes to burn.

No interesting bossfights beyond the final one, which is a watered down version of the encounter at the end of Devil May Cry 3.

In summary, DmC: Devil May Cry, is bad. It has bad writing, bad gameplay, bad grading, bad bosses, and no replayability. Don't buy it. Don't even rent it.
  52. Jan 15, 2013
    It's almost as bad as predicted. The combat can be fun, however everything else is like a middle finger to the fans of the series with bad writing(even for Devil May Cry), awful story, uninteresting characters, and little challenge.
  53. Jan 15, 2013
    Combat is slow, limited and has next to no variety i.e enemies that can only be killed by one weapon, no styles, angel/demon stance ripped straight from heavenly sword, another game by NT. Story is a rip-off of they live. Character development, design and dialogue are outright outrageous and disgusting, not to mention it insults the fans of the franchise. There's even a scene in which oneCombat is slow, limited and has next to no variety i.e enemies that can only be killed by one weapon, no styles, angel/demon stance ripped straight from heavenly sword, another game by NT. Story is a rip-off of they live. Character development, design and dialogue are outright outrageous and disgusting, not to mention it insults the fans of the franchise. There's even a scene in which one of the protagonist's allies shoots an unborn child and then kills the mother after she realizes what happened, while in the previous games he despised guns. The only redeeming points about this game are the visuals. Expand
  54. Jan 15, 2013
    I'll be short: Gameplay is a big step down from DMC 3/4, its been casualised so anyone can achieve SSS with a couple of combos it actually is more akin to God of War than Devil May Cry. Platforming is boring and way too much, bosses are the whole game in general are super easy, the story is a rip-off of "They Live" and in one cutscene a major character shoots a pregnant woman. Music isI'll be short: Gameplay is a big step down from DMC 3/4, its been casualised so anyone can achieve SSS with a couple of combos it actually is more akin to God of War than Devil May Cry. Platforming is boring and way too much, bosses are the whole game in general are super easy, the story is a rip-off of "They Live" and in one cutscene a major character shoots a pregnant woman. Music is horrible dubstep but if you like that kind of thing then good for you. The scenarios are cool and very creative but thats about the only thing good in this game. As a stand alone game I would give it a 6/10 but as a Devil May Cry game is a gigantic step back. Expand
  55. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is a reboot right?
    So, here is a big question: Why reboot?
    Reboot are usually used when the universe is **** beyond recognition and you have a bunch of plot-holes and stuff you just can't get rid of. So why did they reboot DMC, a great series? For nothing that's why. And not only did they reboot it, they also picked the worst design choices i have ever seen. Trading DMC
    This game is a reboot right?
    So, here is a big question: Why reboot?

And not only did they reboot it, they also picked the worst design choices i have ever seen. Trading DMC beautiful worlds for a "hur dur dark n gritty with evul rich peepl" where **** YOU is written all over the walls and a protagonist which only methods of discussing are saying NO U and hostaging dead babies with Ken(Barbie) for a partner? Real smooth move NT.

Not only were the visuals and story throw into the trash but the gameplay too. Now you can get an SSS pressing X three times. How fun!

Anyway, this game is so bad, they will need ANOTHER reboot after it, just to clean it out of the DMC name, which it's not worth of. That is, if NT and crapcom are still alive after this.
  56. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DmC is a very, very weak game, not even counting the other games in the series. I will give it the credit where it is due, first. The concept of the combat is okay. It's probably the most flexible of any hack n' slash I have ever played. But later enemy encounters throw this out the window by requiring specific tactics, which would be okay is a less frantic game but just kills the pacing here. It is far from difficult to get SSS Style rankings consistently, and the second weapon you get, the Arbiter axe, makes this trivial. Limbo is also a really cool concept, and really fun to look at and maneuver through with Dante's new tools, but also feels a bit confined at times, and in some places it's easy to fall off a platform while fighting. With that out of the way, now for the bad news. The story feels like it was immaturely written, including one scene where a woman, demon or not, I don't care, got a rifle abortion, then shot fatally by Vergil. Just... what the hell? That's disgusting. Other highlights include ham-fisted political commentary and the word **** well over a hundred times with little context or meaning. The issue isn't the word itself here. Finally, the horrid, horrid abuse Kat suffered in her backstory just to make her edgy is just misogynistic and uncalled for. Dante, the main character, is likable when bonding with his teammates, but outside of that he feels like a rude little punk, to the point where even Mundus, the local main antagonist, comes across as more likable than him. Dante even insults Mundus about the after-mentioned Rifle-Abortion when Mundus asks why. The dialogue, as mentioned at the overuse of the word **** without context, is very awful. Tameem promised Shakespearean writing, but we got gems like "Me, a god, versus you, a piece of **** and "Dante? The son of Sparda, and Eva THE WHOOOOORE!" The music is nice and varied, but at the same time feels inappropriate to the action onscreen and more than a little irritating, It has no sense of rhythm, and just feels annoying. It may be good independent of the game, but it feels like trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Finally, on the least important but still necessary part of the game: The technical specs and graphics. On both the PS3 and 360 versions, the game runs at Thirty Frames per second, whereas on PC it runs at sixty. This can negatively impact your ability to fight since the fewer frames can lower your reaction time a little. The character designs range from the awesomeness of Vergil's trenchcoat, to the okayishness of Dante's model, to the awful, plastic look of Lilith's model. Again, Limbo looks nice, and probably steals the show here. The PS3 version does have some graphical and technical issues, but it shouldn't be a problem if you're here looking for the XBOX 360 Reviews.

All in all, this was disappointing, and people who just listen to the big-name critics may want to read the more thoroughly written user reviews as well before deciding on buying this game. If you absolutely HAVE to have it, go for the PC version, but I feel this game isn't worth the current $60 price tag.

This has been a review by AzureSoul. Have a nice day.
  57. Jan 17, 2013
    Well, this is my review. I should note that I borrowed the game from a friend.

Story I consider the story in this game to be mediocre at best as they could've done A LOT better considering the amount of potential this game had. Unfortunately, the writing was left in the hands of Ninja Theory...whose literary abilities are so good they had to hire outside writers for Heavenly Sword
    Well, this is my review. I should note that I borrowed the game from a friend.

Story

I consider the story in this game to be mediocre at best as they could've done A LOT better considering the amount of potential this game had. Unfortunately, the writing was left in the hands of Ninja Theory...whose literary abilities are so good they had to hire outside writers for Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, and the writer for Heavenly Sword had to rewrite the majority of the script because it was THAT bad. Suffice to say I was genuinely disappointed with what I saw.

And let's face it guys, while the DMC games has never had a stellar 10/10 storyline...neither does this one.

Story: 4/10

Combat

For all of the defenders trying to shoot down the 'the combat is bad' complaints, I'm not sure what standards you're going by, but the standards of the series and the genre in general is far higher than what we got handed to us. It's watered down, boring combat that you could basically sleep through, not to mention the game was PAINFULLY easy even on the highest difficulties. Remember the Vergil vs Dante fight in DMC3? That was a thrilling, exciting and difficult battle. Vergil in DmC was incredibly easy, boring and slow paced, even on the highest difficulties. Not to mention the utterly pointless cutscenes that constantly came out of nowhere completely disrupting my pace. I also think the style system was completely casualized in this game. In the previous DMC games you had to actually switch it up, do different combos and improvise in order to increase your stylish rank whereas you only need to press 2 buttons (yes, really) in order to get SSS in this game.

Combat 3/10

Characters

This is the big one guys. I found most of the characters in the game to be mundane and bland and I didn't find myself liking anyone. Vergil is contrived and gives off this air of being an obnoxious wanker, and Dante is well...Dante. I feel like they couldn't settle for a character for Dante, was he and edgy "F*CK YOU" teenager? A kid with a rough childhood rising above it? An antagonistic douchebag? The answer is all of them, because they couldn't be concrete with him and his personality.
    I found myself not giving a dime about Kat or anyone beyond that, it felt like she was just there to drive the story forward and was generally useless except for intel gathering and withstanding torture.

Characters 2/10

Visuals

It's one redeeming feature. Except it's TOO DAMN RED. Everything is so much red it almost hurt my eyes. Graphics wise it's great and I never dropped below 30fps for me.

Visuals 7/10

Overall

Not only is DmC a poorly written game with cringeworthy dialogue, but it doesn't try and dial it back and go ''Hey, guys! We're MEANT to be corny and a parody!" it takes itself SERIOUSLY, which is laughable in of itself. Outside of the notable lines like 'wet chunks', 'f*ck you', 'you're an a*shole', etc, the dialogue is bland and monotone or just plain not interesting. Having gone through the entire game from start to finish, I never felt enthralled by anything that was going on and simply laughed at the idiocy that was going on in my television more than caring about the story or the characters.

I give it a 2 simply because some of the combos were fun, but that's it.
  58. Jan 17, 2013
    Bad Framerate , Bad Voiceacting , Bad Writing , Bad Ending , Bad Game mechanics .
    Do not trust Smoshgames or any untrustworthy site (IGN *Cough*) .
    Crapcom , get your **** together.. start making games the good old way and stop giving your franchise to artist wannabes.
  59. Jan 30, 2013
    Good Game.....TERRIBLE Devil May Cry, there's not more fun Dante is complete destroy, Vergil is a gay-worry mankind no more a **** villain who only cares are more power! Vergil is no more, Sparda and Eva don't taste like before....only Kat is a safe character....
  60. Feb 1, 2013
    I do not recommend this game for the old fans, as it does not meet the standarts that the old DMC games has offered(excluding DMC2), I am an old fan for this particular franchise myself, I have to say, I do not care about the new Dante or the old one, it is just a skin, it is not something that would make or break the game, the bad thing about this game is its gameplay, well considering itI do not recommend this game for the old fans, as it does not meet the standarts that the old DMC games has offered(excluding DMC2), I am an old fan for this particular franchise myself, I have to say, I do not care about the new Dante or the old one, it is just a skin, it is not something that would make or break the game, the bad thing about this game is its gameplay, well considering it is a DMC game of course, Firstly the jump cancel became useless since even if you jump cancel, you cannot land the majority of Dante's moves while JC-ing, not only that but the lock on system is also not implemented in this game, you would probably think that this is no big matter, but it actually is, it can add many combo possibilities as well. Another negative aspect is the writing, its got degraded so bad that it cannot get any worse and while I'm at it the voice acting is on the same level of the writing, while the bosses had a very little impact on me, nothing would be engraved on my memory unlike the other DMCs. If only this game had a different title then the old fans and the new ones would be satisfied and all of this wouldn't have happened. Expand
  61. May 8, 2014
    All people who already talked about the game...well all is already said.The game is good as an reboot...but the story is lacking and the characters are just ****
  62. Jun 6, 2015
    Well i gotta say, i gave it a shot. I'll admit that i wasn't a big fan of the character design changes, but with the new skins you can download i figured heck that's an easy fix. Its the gameplay that cant be fixed though, and it was terrible.

I can say, i hate Dante's new attitude, and there where a few key moments where if i where in the room with him in a few instances, for example when he would act like a hard ass to that spray paint girl, who was the victim of sexual preditors and all that, I would have had to wup his ass. I have a pretty short patience for that sort of conduct. Which is why it makes a good bad guy charector, not so much a hero. It reflects a type of insecurity with a person who is struggling with his manhood and feels that they need to prove their strong every chance they can, which are qualities i dont find suitable in a hero. BUT, those things are easy to ignore because their fictional and you can skip cut scenes.

It was the dumbed down fighting and rediculous "alternate demention dreemland" bullcrap that ruined the game for me. I like having to learn every combo to perfection in order to getting super stylishes and stuff. I DON'T like being given them for using the same move over and over, and then being forced to use certain combos in repition on certain enemies. I felt like i was just mashing buttons most of the time. and WAY TO GO with just trumping stinger with the grappling hooks.

Why is everyone obsessed with alternate universes anyway? Screw dreamland. It's too easy to write the whole thing off as just an illusion. They had a good plot with the media being controlled by demons, why didnt they just have the demons manipulating footage and altering peoples memories with that soda and hypnosis, and have everything happening in the drudges of reality, the back allys where people dont go because their so dangerous. I dont know about other people, but my work takes me into these hell pits and dark allys here on earth, and it wouldnt be hard to convince someone they where controlled by demons lol. Thats kinda where the myths and legends came from in the first place. so why muddle that with some fantasy dream trip?

Its bad when Men In Black has a better plot that something you've written. and its even worse when you steal the mechanics of a game *cough*castlevania LOS*cough* that based its mechanics of off the game that you are remaking, which was the trail blazing bar setting masterpiece written in video game history. And its even worse when you make those mechanics choppy and slow, to the point where the player has to take his time while playing rather than fry his brain creating combos.

bottom line, its a fun game. The attitude of Dante will make your blood boil, and the fighting mechanics get a little monotonous, and you spend all of your time in dream world cause demons dont exist in the real world, but all that aside you can have fun playing the game. I'll tell you what, it makes you feal really good at video games though. cause its a very easy game to beat.
  63. Jan 15, 2013
    I really want a true sequel to the old ones, rather than a reboot. Why isnt this an official prequel, rather than a parralel universe? Really disapointing story and universe, while it is an ok game. Dont buy it.
  64. Jan 16, 2013
    Gameplay is simpler.
    Gameplay is easier.
    The Story has shameful characters.
    The Graphics are ok, as the music style. But these 2 elements just can't save the rest of the game.
  65. Jan 15, 2013
    It's obvious that the developers had no respect for fans. The game is also buggy as hell and the style system is broken. See YouTube videos to verify both of those claims.
  66. Jan 20, 2013
    Donte the franchise killer. Take the gameplay from Heavenly Sword, the plot from an emo reimagining of They live, and slap Devil May Cry's name on it.
  67. Jan 15, 2013
    Simply put, this game is horrible, the dialog is horrible, the story sucks, the game is so damn easy, the gameplay is dumbed down, this game has absolutely no challenge, even on the hard modes and worst of all, Dante's look and personality disgusted me. I never finished the game, I got bored and sick of it, so I stopped playing it and popped in my DMC HD collection to get the bad taste outSimply put, this game is horrible, the dialog is horrible, the story sucks, the game is so damn easy, the gameplay is dumbed down, this game has absolutely no challenge, even on the hard modes and worst of all, Dante's look and personality disgusted me. I never finished the game, I got bored and sick of it, so I stopped playing it and popped in my DMC HD collection to get the bad taste out of my mouth and thankfully can still appreciate and enjoy those games a lot more. I'll be trading this sack of **** in tomorrow.

If you have the need to play a good Hack n Slash game, skip this pile of **** and pick up the Devil May Cry HD collection, then you'll get 3 Hack n Slash games that are a lot better for a lot less money.
  68. Jan 15, 2013
    Gameplay is atrocious compared to DMC 3 and 4. Its is a huge step backwards. Jump cancelling is put in the game just because the previous 2 games had it. In this game jump cancelling is lame. You can hit the skybox on the maps with jump cancelling and that devil bringer rip off. You can keep a enemy in the air indefinitely and be safe from everything else. While previous DMC games it was aGameplay is atrocious compared to DMC 3 and 4. Its is a huge step backwards. Jump cancelling is put in the game just because the previous 2 games had it. In this game jump cancelling is lame. You can hit the skybox on the maps with jump cancelling and that devil bringer rip off. You can keep a enemy in the air indefinitely and be safe from everything else. While previous DMC games it was a test of skill on how long you can stay in the air, this game hand feeds you air time.

The reason for this is because NT/Capcom wanted casuals to feel pro or something while playing a DMC game. So they watch videos of pro players for DMC3/4 and they are in the air most of the time and they just put the two together. They just made it so its super easy to stay in the air. They totally missed the point of DMC's high level gameplay, which was to make your enemies look bad and you look stylish. Air time is just a byproduct. So what we end up with is a clunky combat system with awkward controls. Donte pauses for a brief moment after every attack which contributes to making the gameplay clunky. There's too much platforming in this game. Pointless platforming. They make too much of a deal out of the shifting environment shtick. While previous DMC games never had strong stories, they were still enjoyable games and had enjoyable characters. DmC however is just screams tryhard and edgy. All that cussing is uncalled for.
  69. Mar 11, 2013
    esse jogo um horror mecanicas ultrapssadas,dante emo,vergil um nerd idiota

ninja thery e capcom acordem pra vida e façam jkogos de qualidade igual platinum games
  70. Jan 16, 2013
    Well, just spent about two days playing this game, and I'm done. If this didn't have the name of a famous franchise no one would care, it'd be forgotten in weeks. The story feels like it was written by a teenager, the dialogue literally devolves into a comparison of penis size at one point. Beyond the story, the game play is extremely sub par. The game doesn't run at a consistent frameWell, just spent about two days playing this game, and I'm done. If this didn't have the name of a famous franchise no one would care, it'd be forgotten in weeks. The story feels like it was written by a teenager, the dialogue literally devolves into a comparison of penis size at one point. Beyond the story, the game play is extremely sub par. The game doesn't run at a consistent frame rate, which felt slow to begin with. Seems really off putting in a game that should have a focus on combat. Probably the most insulting part is the difficulty. Actually calling it difficulty is laughable. This game goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to being the most casual, easy, boring, button-mashing trash ever. The "hard" difficulty "Nephilim" is easier than the easiest difficulty in DMC3. It's easier than easy mode in **** God of War 3. "Son of Sparda" it advertises as something that will require skill! It doesn't require anything except the ability to recognize when one of the monsters is doing their extremely telegraphed (so telegraphed in fact that they LIGHT UP IN BRIGHT NEON LIGHTS when they are about to do it) attacks. Expect about 5 seconds to react to most enemies. Not even kidding, time it. One of the challenges I won by doing 2 attacks for 30 seconds. One, I would hold O to uppercut, and two, I would press O again to do a downward slash and then I repeated that until everything in the room was dead. It's not like that's even an isolated incident. Some moves provide so much invincibility that there's no reason to stop spamming, ever.

Long story short, I am beyond disappointed. I can't believe I ignored everything I heard about this game and gave it the benefit of the doubt. I thought good game play would make up for any other shortcomings it had and it never delivers. Don't waste you money on this. Rent it if you must sate your curiosity.
  71. Jan 15, 2013
    Worst game in the series by far. The gameplay is dumbed down, and Capcom paid off websites to give it good reviews. Between the horribly redesigned Dante, boring and tedious gameplay, and terrible story, this is a terrible reboot of a once-great franchise.
  72. Jan 15, 2013
    Long story short, worst thing capcom has done ever, simplistic gameplay instead of technical mechanics based on difficulty levels, retarded plot and an unnecesary reboot, one point for graphics,a game that should have never existed.
  73. Jan 15, 2013
    I was willing to give it a shot, even with the redesigned Dante, but the game is just terrible. From Sniper Rifle abortions to "Yah-Matt-Too" and the "I've got a bigger !@#$", the writing was absolutely atrocious. Gameplay isn't exactly bad, because you can still do some interesting things, but it's such a step down from DMC3 or 4 that I felt more restricted than Nero felt in 4. The gameI was willing to give it a shot, even with the redesigned Dante, but the game is just terrible. From Sniper Rifle abortions to "Yah-Matt-Too" and the "I've got a bigger !@#$", the writing was absolutely atrocious. Gameplay isn't exactly bad, because you can still do some interesting things, but it's such a step down from DMC3 or 4 that I felt more restricted than Nero felt in 4. The game is also way shorter than previous entries, not counting the unskippable cut-scenes. Please, don't support this game. Expand
  74. Jan 15, 2013
    dmc devil may cry is a shameless reboot to a great franchise,this game has obscene violence and even a sex scene in it. ninja theory claim its a shakespear-esk game but in reality its a pitiful game
  75. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a messed up game, there's no other way to describe it. The story makes Mass Effect 3 look like a Shakespearean masterpiece, being filled with witty banter like "Who the f*** are you?" "I'm your prom date you ugly sack of s***" "F*** YOU!" "F*** YOU!" and "Now the world is your b*tch and so am I"; pure poetry. Try comparing this dialogue to that of the previous Devil May CryThis is a messed up game, there's no other way to describe it. The story makes Mass Effect 3 look like a Shakespearean masterpiece, being filled with witty banter like "Who the f*** are you?" "I'm your prom date you ugly sack of s***" "F*** YOU!" "F*** YOU!" and "Now the world is your b*tch and so am I"; pure poetry. Try comparing this dialogue to that of the previous Devil May Cry games, which opened boss fights with funny and occasionally bizarre scenes, such as one where Dante and Agnus act out a strange and over the top parody of Elizabethan drama before fighting. Issues are also raised in the story which far outweigh the the poor dialogue in terms of bringing the game's quality down such as one scene where a character kills murders a pregnant character and her unborn child; it baffles me as to how such a scene was ever allowed to be included in the game. The setting looked to be the only decent part of the game for a while, but it ends up disappointing in the final background, serving only to be backdrops that have no interaction with the gameplay apart from one awful level where you have to dodge flying Word Art barriers The voice acting is awful, with almost every single character, Dante included, sounding totally disconnected from the game, which only worsens the already pore dialogue
    The gameplay itself is a complete bastardisation of the Devil May Cry franchise, being incredibly easy and with far less crazy combos, partially due to the decision to make angel and demon weapons activated by pulling their respective trigger, which greatly limits the number of moves possible. Meanwhile, the demon axe is severely overpowered and the angel weapon is more or less useless, only needed when you fight a particular kind of enemy which is immune to all your other weapons. The AI is awful as well, with enemies slowly lumbering towards you and attacking you one at a time, removing the potential for any great challenge in the game.
    I could write more about this game and why it is so bad, but I'd rather force the game out of my mind and forget it ever existed
  76. Jan 15, 2013
    Anything that was remotely challenging about previous entries in the series has been completely edited out and what remains is a cutscene riddled, slow paced "action" game that puts more emphasis on trying to be "edgy" by overuse of curse words.

Even if you disregard the fact that Dante has been rebooted to a younger audience the gameplay still lacks in every area due to easy difficulty levels and slow action.

If you've played the previous entries there is nothing new or exciting about this game and you should just let it fly off your radar
  77. Jan 15, 2013
    I really tried to like this game. Really wanted it to be a great game but it turns out its bloody awful.
    Previous devil may crys were stylish action and fast paced combat. There is nothing fast or stylish about this game. The 30fps although allows for better environment it cannot handle quick actions.
    Then comes the combo and ranks, which in this game are not interesting . In fact they are sloppy and dull.
    Story wise feels like a twilight movie. I mean for goodness sake the game highlight is the cheesy swearing. Oh and vergil shoots a pregnant woman and dante seems not to care. Honestly if you are a 12 year old who thinks is cool to smoke and swear then this game is for you. If you are a serious gamer and fanboy since back in the day(myself included) then avoid this game or resell it like i did.
  78. Jan 15, 2013
    The devil may cry franchise has always been one of my favourite franchises ive grown up playing devil may cry but this game has just killed everything that made devil may cry a good game.first of all the new dante is a angsty teenage douche that isnt likable in any way, the combat is now less fluid and too easy and now requires you to use certain weapons to kill certain enemies which hasThe devil may cry franchise has always been one of my favourite franchises ive grown up playing devil may cry but this game has just killed everything that made devil may cry a good game.first of all the new dante is a angsty teenage douche that isnt likable in any way, the combat is now less fluid and too easy and now requires you to use certain weapons to kill certain enemies which has never happened in any devil may cry game because you could beat anyone with anything, also this game just gives out s rank combo for pulling off just a basic combo. the story is awful especially the ending also the character writing is awful the whole game is filled with curses for no reason other then trying to feel edgy and appeal to teenagers. theres a part in the game where a white wig lands on dantes head and he throws it off and says not in a million years that felt like a kick in the nuts to anyone that was a fan to the old games.
    so once again capcom sh*ts on their fans of the older games and once again ninja theory ruins another franchise.
  79. Jan 16, 2013
    An absolutely dreadful game. Gameplay is dumbed down from its predecessors, soundtrack consists of dubstep (which is inherently bad), graphics are a mixed bag (great environments, but awful character models), and the story is abysmal, featuring unskippable cutscenes, awful dialogue **** YOU!", "and I got a bigger dick", "The world is now your **** as am I"), and a setting straight out ofAn absolutely dreadful game. Gameplay is dumbed down from its predecessors, soundtrack consists of dubstep (which is inherently bad), graphics are a mixed bag (great environments, but awful character models), and the story is abysmal, featuring unskippable cutscenes, awful dialogue **** YOU!", "and I got a bigger dick", "The world is now your **** as am I"), and a setting straight out of deviantart. If you like dark, gritty games and easy accessible gameplay, you're a ****ing retard and you shouldn't be playing games. Expand
  80. Jan 16, 2013
    This game was a complete trainwreck since the beginning... I just can't sum up all the things DmC does wrong: slow and laggy gameplay, too easy enemies and bosses, unattractive character design, boring platforming, such an unoriginal story with a lame ending,and plot filled with disgusting and even offensive stuff... It just left a bad aftertaste; I really needed to replay DMC3 to get ridThis game was a complete trainwreck since the beginning... I just can't sum up all the things DmC does wrong: slow and laggy gameplay, too easy enemies and bosses, unattractive character design, boring platforming, such an unoriginal story with a lame ending,and plot filled with disgusting and even offensive stuff... It just left a bad aftertaste; I really needed to replay DMC3 to get rid of the sensation of failure this game left in me...
    NT and Capcom hyped this game too much, and in the end it didn't deliver... DmC is a mediocre hack n' slash, and doesn't deserve the title of DevilMayCry.
  81. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely terrible and pointless. From tasteless, childishly amateur writing, terrible graphics and ocean of bugs and glitches to a completely bland and casual gameplay that, when it actually works properly, is only targeted at replicating the visual feats of the previous games which you had to actually master back in the day. A vanity project devoid of any style, substance or passionAbsolutely terrible and pointless. From tasteless, childishly amateur writing, terrible graphics and ocean of bugs and glitches to a completely bland and casual gameplay that, when it actually works properly, is only targeted at replicating the visual feats of the previous games which you had to actually master back in the day. A vanity project devoid of any style, substance or passion sown together for a quick buck riding on a big name. At this point unless we see a DMC5 developed by Capcom itself in few years, it's safe to say that DMC is dead and this abomination is what finished it off with a shotgun to a head. Expand
  82. Jan 16, 2013
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Where to start with this game, my main problem is that the combat is poorly done with bad mechanics. Many people here have said it better than me before, but its sluggish and repeatative.
    This is my first review here so be gentle :)
    Besides that the story is juvenile and unoriginal, and the abortion scene is both ugly and stupid.... such a scene would be okay if we actually got any reason to care, but its just for shock effect.
    Characters are all unlikeable and i find myself hoping they all die by the end.... I Would not recommend this game, and am ashamed of myself for defending and buying it... rent it first to see for yourself or something.. dont pay
  83. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Playing this games feels like reading a furry fanfiction, a bad one, it´s that bad.
    Vergil kills a pregnant woman for christ´s sakes, and he's not even the bad guy.
    What the heck where they thinking?
  84. Mar 31, 2013
    This game deserves a solid 1 for deceiving its fan base. It's being advertised as to find out who Dante was was before becoming the demon hunter. But the actuality, this Dante is a completely new character with no relation to the previous games and his behavior is what you called teen angst at best. The combat is especially sluggish, and the plot made references on how government isThis game deserves a solid 1 for deceiving its fan base. It's being advertised as to find out who Dante was was before becoming the demon hunter. But the actuality, this Dante is a completely new character with no relation to the previous games and his behavior is what you called teen angst at best. The combat is especially sluggish, and the plot made references on how government is corrupt and we need to stand up and to face the demon: the government. Like we haven't heard this before, I can't see how anyone can like this game except some teenagers with overflowing testosterone. Expand
  85. Jan 23, 2013
    This game made me die a little inside. Not all of it is bad tough; the soundtrack isn't bad, but not good either, the graphics are good at least, even if the colours look strange, and combat is enjoyable and easy (too easy even, at least for the more experienced gamers). Then comes the bad, which is everything else. I'm a huge fan of the real DMC games, and even I have to admit the storyThis game made me die a little inside. Not all of it is bad tough; the soundtrack isn't bad, but not good either, the graphics are good at least, even if the colours look strange, and combat is enjoyable and easy (too easy even, at least for the more experienced gamers). Then comes the bad, which is everything else. I'm a huge fan of the real DMC games, and even I have to admit the story is not their strong point; compared to this, however, they're masterpieces. The plot is stupid, over the top, dumbed down garbage that wouldn't convince a 5 year old. Also, it is a rare game which makes me want to kill the protagonist more than the villains. The real Dante may have been **** and a bit of a jock, but he was genuinely cool and likable, unlike this guy, known henceforth as Johnny McFailville. Maybe it would be rated higher if it wasn't pretending to be DMC, but as it is, it's not worth the money or the effort to complete the game. This is not DMC, and it's a bad game, no matter what every sold out game critic says; mr. Johnny McFailville fails to convince (and even the real Vergil would have a hard time coming out looking good after shooting a pregnant woman). I bought every DMC when it came out, tried this yesterday at a friend's place; wouldn't buy this piece of crap if it was 5 bucks in the bargain bin. Expand
  86. Jan 28, 2013
    In fact the real score is 7, because is not a bad hack and slash, but is a terrible DMC, the personality of Dante and vergil is a lot different of the original characters in a bad way, in the original Vergil dont use guns, and Dante is a bad ass, the enemys are repetitiveness and the combat or gameplay is not good, is better ninja gaiden 1 and 2, Bayonetta, god of War and Dantes inferno,In fact the real score is 7, because is not a bad hack and slash, but is a terrible DMC, the personality of Dante and vergil is a lot different of the original characters in a bad way, in the original Vergil dont use guns, and Dante is a bad ass, the enemys are repetitiveness and the combat or gameplay is not good, is better ninja gaiden 1 and 2, Bayonetta, god of War and Dantes inferno, for my this is a not DMC, is better the DMC 2 than this Expand
  87. Feb 2, 2013
    Hmmm where to actually start with this steaming pile of a game....Ok lets start at the most noticed, first off...wtf have you done to dante? i mean REALLY!? you completely destroy what was loved about dmc...the characters...i mean why make a game with the same name if your going to well just get rid of the main character that was in the rest of them....i hope your company falls for this,Hmmm where to actually start with this steaming pile of a game....Ok lets start at the most noticed, first off...wtf have you done to dante? i mean REALLY!? you completely destroy what was loved about dmc...the characters...i mean why make a game with the same name if your going to well just get rid of the main character that was in the rest of them....i hope your company falls for this, 2ndly, lol cant even get off the topic of the first, i mean wtf? you expect a more "mature" audience for this game? how so? just because hes non stop swearing? the guy talks more then any other character in any game ive ever played, it wasnt even humorous...it was just plain pathetic, this game is just pathetic, the creators of this game are pathetic and this game needs to be taken off every shelf in any store that sells it and thrown in the trash. If your going to make another dmc, lets hope its not a complete and utter failure of a game, i played it 1 day....and went out and got my money back for it saying it was "broke" and just got another game of the same value....sad how someone has to lie about a game they used to love playing but now it just makes me cringe at the thought of it, Game play not so bad, the graphics pretty sweet, the main character? lol makes me just hate everything all together, first off the original Dante was half human/ Demon, now we have some joke of a half demon angel?.....wtf? lol and the line of "you can call me dante, the demon killer"........idk but it sounds like someones kid wrote that part into his dialog....just please gtfo and dont make another game. K thx for wasting my time on this Expand
  88. Feb 8, 2013
    it's boring casual game with dull combat it's so slow compared to older ones it made me come back to the devil may cry hd collection in no time... i beat it in 1 day at nephilim, gameplay is copypasted from heavenly sword... i had more fun with gunXsword (wich is an average game)... it's a game below awerage and we know why the majority of sites gave it amazing scores (capcom paid themit's boring casual game with dull combat it's so slow compared to older ones it made me come back to the devil may cry hd collection in no time... i beat it in 1 day at nephilim, gameplay is copypasted from heavenly sword... i had more fun with gunXsword (wich is an average game)... it's a game below awerage and we know why the majority of sites gave it amazing scores (capcom paid them directly or indirectly using sites as advertising) story is ripped off and lame, music is horrible and gave me migraines, some of the enviroments (they look alike those from bayonetta but bayonetta was better in all the possible ways) are great but that's not enought to give this game credit... after ruinning resident evil with the 6 now they've ruined devil may cry... good job capcom
    ah and no lovk on feature, 2 dodge buttons (cause we have to press a trigger for angelic and demonic wepones)
    do yourself a favor... do not buy it...
  89. Jan 17, 2013
    I was hesitant to get involved in the reboot DMC debate, as I personally detest it and others have made points about the game for me. However I was enraged to read certain websites slagging off the user metacritic overall opinion (slagging it off yet still reading and talking about it), acting high and mighty when in reality they are merely one set of trolls against another set onI was hesitant to get involved in the reboot DMC debate, as I personally detest it and others have made points about the game for me. However I was enraged to read certain websites slagging off the user metacritic overall opinion (slagging it off yet still reading and talking about it), acting high and mighty when in reality they are merely one set of trolls against another set on Metacritic who set up new accounts just to slag this game off! Though it doesn't surprise me these high and mighty sites and their following do not actually question the 'professional' review scores, or question industry corruption like 'Doritos-gate' for example whilst happily receiving backhanders for positive scores!? Below I've listed the main reasons why I detest this game and hope Ninja Theory never makes a game again!

1) The Art work is terrible, it's a mishmash of dull orange and psychedelic colours. This new Dante, Vergil and Cat were designed to attach younger urban punk people to play the game. This look has zero appeal to me, and obviously many others.
    2) The dialogue and plot are abysmal, truly lame brained juvenile nonsense. Yet those who defend this game call those who point this out as juvenile, ridiculous! Yes the previous games weren't exactly War and Peace, but they had 100% more character than this.
    3) The themes like the half Angel stuff and media control are actually quite offense to those with Religious/Moral views! I really dislike Ninja Theory and their view of lifestyles, and am absolutely livid they incorporated that into the game. I play games for relaxation, not to have 'saucy' Angels (God forbid) rammed down my throat! The media control stuff makes me laugh, as again the same people who are slagging the hardcore fans off for hating this game will happily believe their governments lies in the media, please reference the Iraq war or WMD's or the economic crash etc. Pot, kettle, black.....

Anyway they are the main reasons why I detest this game, and the uproar that has unfolded has made me realise that there are many trolls and people with no morals or ideals of their own, and that truly is the scary thing!
  90. Jan 15, 2013
    I have the game early since and the way you get the weapons are TERRIBLE. So far out of the three weapons i got 1 of them was from a boss. The weapons arent creative at all, especially the fists one.
  91. Jan 15, 2013
    Well, they did it, and I fell for it.
    Let me start out by saying: THIS IS NOT A BAD GAME
    Let me finish by saying: THIS IS A BAD DMC GAME It tries so hard to be edgy, I felt as if I should go kick my dog. Not everything needs to be gritty, it's just what hollywood is doing. Superman, Oz, Jack and the **** beanstalk? Everything is just so badass and cool it's retarded. Donte is just a
    Well, they did it, and I fell for it.
    Let me start out by saying: THIS IS NOT A BAD GAME
    Let me finish by saying: THIS IS A BAD DMC GAME

Donte is just a wet dream for and 16 year old, and I am returning my copy ASAP and getting the HD collection
  92. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? How about with the complaint that Ninja Theory and Capcom are brushing aside? This is the new entry in a decade long franchise, but has been taken in a vastly new direction - NT and Capcom would have you believe this excuses them for all the ridiculous decisions they've made. Dubbed "Donte" by skeptics, the main character has undergone rather a bizarre transformation. Where before we controlled a light-hearted half-human, half-demon devil slayer with a fondness for pizza, crazy action and adventure, now we're playing as a half-demon, half-angel potty mouth teenager. Is he a badly designed character? A well designed character? That is by and large, a matter of opinion, and I do not find him to my tastes. He is written poorly and his goals are nonsensical, as is his motivation - which seems to primarily exist in the form of a throw-away female who has questionable relationships with squirrels.

Unfortunately, Tony Redgrave isn't the only one hit by the re-design hammer. His brother, Vergil - now dubbed as Vorgil or Vergul or the like, was once a power hungry half-demon, driven to this by his failure to protect his beloved mother. Now? He's rather like Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta. Only poorly acted, with with a fixation for acting like "Anonymous". Once he hated human firearms, but in DmC, the katana wielder uses a military grade rifle to shoot a pregnant demon hostage in the womb - and after giving her enough time to realise that he's just given her a rather swift abortion, pops her in the head. His brother later brags about this to the demonic 'father' figure.

That leads us nicely into the plot of DmC. There's not really much to say - seen the movie, They Live? It's more or less that. Mundus is controlling humans and blue isn't very happy about that, and he requires the help of his brother red to assist him. What follows is 5-6 hours of running about, swearing like demented teenagers and predictable plot-threads with no semblance of a character arc. Indeed, rather than an arc, the characters simply transition from one perspective to the other, in a completely illogical manner. But none of that is really important. Story, writing, characters, dialogue - inconsequential in a Devil May Cry game for the most part, excessive fluff that only adds to the package deal. So what about the core? What about the gameplay? Oh boy...
    I could complain about how I don't enjoy the gameplay in DmC, but that's all opinion and I'm sure you'd just disagree with me - I'll start off with some hard facts:
    DmC runs at half the framerate of DMC3 and DMC4
    DmC has 13 less moves than DMC3, and that's being generous. DmC has 8 weapons. DMC3 had 10. This is again being generous as many of the weapons in DmC act more like modifiers than actual new movesets.
    DmC has no styles, you could argue that the weapons have been rolled in with the styles. DMC3 had six styles. Some enemies in DmC are (seemingly) immune to certain weapons, forcing you to play in a specific way, whereas in prior games, you had more freedom.
    At the same time, many enemies in DmC can simply be stunlocked with a single attack with no hope of breaking free. There are many battles in the game that can be won by using one hand, one attack, and not even looking at the screen because there's (very poorly implemented) auto-aim and no lock-on.
    Those are facts that cannot be denied, but on the subject of opinion? I find the game to be a boring button masher with no depth, there's no room for creativity and I didn't die a single time during my time spent playing (up to and including Son of Sparda) In every way, shape and form, this is a downgrade from previous games in the series. Taking a different path doesn't excuse it for being inferior to prior games in every area. What about the visual presentation? This is perhaps the game's strongest point. When I say presentation, I don't mean performance - DMC4 ran at a solid 60FPS and rarely seemed to dip below that, even in the most elaborate and grand of battles. DmC runs at 30FPS max, and often dips as low as 15 if not lower, seeming to average out at around 20-25. I didn't experience any hard-crashes, but did run into a number of stupid glitches that seem like they shouldn't exist in a game with this high a budget.
    Visually, the game has some nice touches.

The way that Limbo shifts about is a pleasant effect, if not mind-blowing, and whilst the characters designs are not to my tastes, at least some of the assets are of high quality. It's just a shame that you can't say the same about the gameplay, the writing, the story and so on. The character of Donte simply isn't one I wanted to root for, he had no redeeming features and was thoroughly unlikable.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. Buy the DMC HD collection if you want some proper Devil May Cry. Already beat it? Try Anarchy Reigns, or Bayonetta, or Vanquish, or Metal Gear Rising.
  93. Jan 20, 2013
    This is a horrible game. Here is a link why people dont like this game. A game is not made for old gamers this is like capcom is destroying there games. Use youtube and watch this vid watch?v=o4NaBrFkiDo this will show you why this game sucks in so many ways.
  94. Jan 17, 2013
    This game is NOT good, ok? Now that you understand this, please note that I'm not trolling, it's just that DmC really deserves this score. Yes, it is that bad, it's the worst game in the series.
  95. Jul 7, 2013
    What a poor game, it lacks of imagination, you know you did something wrong when a game of 2001 looks a 100 times better, I have to give this game a big 0 because you ruined a character, let's take it this way, you had a god (Dante) and turned it into a fly (new Dante).
  96. Jan 17, 2013
    The bosses are now dull, character design has went down in quality and the combat system is "broken". For a Triple-A game, you expect quality. Instead, they took the approach of a "modern" story with terrible writing, and expect fans of the series to take it no questions ask. Everyone shouldn't wonder why this game is getting hate, there's a reason for it.
  97. Feb 6, 2013
    The character development is terrible as a standalone game, let alone when compared to the other games. The combat is just bad for a DMC game, all the styles and combat options are brought under two buttons, angel attack and demon attack. There is absolutely nothing left of the DMC3 and 4 combat engine or gameplay.

If more than 4-5 enemies appear on the screen the game gets very

If more than 4-5 enemies appear on the screen the game gets very noticeable framedrop.

Would get a 5/10 if it was just another hack&slash. But when compared to the DMC franchise it's a 0/10.
  98. Jan 15, 2013
    Devil May Cry was a very niche franchise with loyal, die hard fans, DMC3 is critically acclaimed and may probably be the BEST action game ever to grace console and PC so far, so when DMC4 came out we were all expecting much more and because of Capcoms failings to live up to fan expectation we now have this reboot.

Now Im not against rebooting DMC but I think it was handled the wrong

Now Im not against rebooting DMC but I think it was handled the wrong way, certain things are expected from a DMC game and have been reportedly lacking in the reboot, DMC was never about accessibility, it was challenging and offered layers of depth for those who mastered the complex combat system, having only spent a single play through of both sections of the demo I cant say to much with certainty, but I found the combat lacking in depth, fluidity and style, racking up an SSS rank was a challenge but its so easy now I feel like its lost its meaning.

With almost no chance of seeing a return of the former franchise, all the questions are left unanswered and no ending or closure may ever be given, it's really not hard to understand why fans are upset Capcom. =/
  99. Jan 17, 2013
    Haha yet another disastrous game! I love seeing the polar opposite opinions of critiques and the people who know what there talking about.. anyway who cares its all about the dollars! yee ha! ninjadoll your a disgrace your score belongs in the critic section not the users...
  100. Jan 23, 2013
    honestly just dont like the feel of the combat. just a personal preference. i dont like the changes to the character but im not crazy angry about it. i skipped devil may cry 4 for similar reasons i didnt like the new character introduced and heard it was a very short game. im not acting like a crazy fan boy of bashing the game just dislike the new direction of less over the top goofy andhonestly just dont like the feel of the combat. just a personal preference. i dont like the changes to the character but im not crazy angry about it. i skipped devil may cry 4 for similar reasons i didnt like the new character introduced and heard it was a very short game. im not acting like a crazy fan boy of bashing the game just dislike the new direction of less over the top goofy and fun, that the reboot is following. like i said i didnt like four and only rented it to try it out. voted with my dollar wich obviously didnt work. so i figured id write one of these reviews to try to do something different. i dont care if anyone reads this and if u do i dont think ive said anything to try to change anyones mind and im not trying to. i just feel sad for losing a series that was one of my favorites. im sure everyone has had that happen before and can understand where im comeing from. also i dont think this will work. its just something from a long time fan who feels like hes lost one of the series that got him back into games back on the ps2. lol end of review Expand

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.