Dragon Age: Origins Xbox 360

7.9

1. peterD
    Jan 12, 2010
    this game is one of the better. the storyline is definately its best quality, managing to keep you drawn into the universe of origins at all times. You get a great feel for the Characters, and you start to learn their ways, ideal and principles quickly, andd you learn to predict what their choices would be in the situation. impressive and rarely seen if you ask me. gameplaywise, it doesnt this game is one of the better. the storyline is definately its best quality, managing to keep you drawn into the universe of origins at all times. You get a great feel for the Characters, and you start to learn their ways, ideal and principles quickly, andd you learn to predict what their choices would be in the situation. impressive and rarely seen if you ask me. gameplaywise, it doesnt manage to do anything specificly new, other than the tactical element. but i get the general feeling, that the difficulty curve is very deform. some things appear very easy, but some things, like random encounters, are absolutely punishing. there were a lot of thing s that were absurdly difficult, and that drew the game away from me. and, before you start pointing fingers, i did spend a lot of time in pause Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    This game is amazing. The graphics are not great for a 360 game, but everything else is way above average. Great story, great characters, great voice acting, great music, and very challenging gameplay (at least if you play it on Nightmare). The gameplay is very strategic, and it is very rewarding to finally win a difficult battle after many tries. Also, the characters are so wellThis game is amazing. The graphics are not great for a 360 game, but everything else is way above average. Great story, great characters, great voice acting, great music, and very challenging gameplay (at least if you play it on Nightmare). The gameplay is very strategic, and it is very rewarding to finally win a difficult battle after many tries. Also, the characters are so well developed that they truly come to life on screen. This is my favorite RPG for the Xbox 360. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2011
    Fun Factor: 9

Score: 8.7/10 = A
  4. Griffen
    Nov 3, 2009
    I can't believe all the companies saying that DA:O is out dated gameplay wise. It even says in the description that the game is returning to its roots. Mass Effect was a fun game, but why are all these guys comparing the two. One's a straight up RPG and the other is a Shooter-RPG. It's like comparing Baldaur's Gate and Borderlands.
  5. JoshC.
    Nov 4, 2009
    I own the 360 version, and even with its presentational shortcomings (several other RPG's one-up it graphically - Specifically Oblivion and Bioware's own 2007 game Mass Effect just to name a couple), you'll love the story, design, and gameplay excellence for what it is: The true successor to the Baldur's Gate series.
  6. VincentM
    Nov 7, 2009
    Fantastic game. No one can make RPG like Bioware. The dialogues are... just amazing. My vote for game of the year.
  7. Mar 11, 2011
    It's much more linear than a game like Oblivion, but that's okay because all of paths you are able to go on are awesome. Dragon Age Origins feels like an old-school RPG in the best way possible. The combat is paced so that you can strategize effectively and still feel the excitement of battle, and the story and characters are excellent. My highest recommendations for any RPG fan.
  8. Feb 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is what you call an rpg. the story like is really good and keeps you drawn to the game. you find your self needing to complete with all the races and classes that are available to play . the game play can be a bit similar to other stuff on the market but you dont really notice it while you are playing. Dragon Age: origins i do recommend to rpg players. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2011
    I have completed this game 14 times so far and still want to play it. The characters are genuinely funny and charming. The story is epic and the choices I made seem to really affect the world. Gameplay is a tad on the slow side but allows for some tactical manouvering. Graphics are not great but the immersion more than makes up for that. Amazing experience from BioWare a must get game.
  10. Apr 6, 2011
    Great game, great story, great RPG. In my opinion this is one of the greatest games I've ever played and including DLC was an amazingly fun 80 hours. Wish it didn't have to end, and thanks to the re-playability, it really doesn't!
  11. Jul 22, 2012
    Bioware pride themselves on being able to create amazing storylines that make you feel as if you are actually in the world of the game. Origins is no exception. This game has a challenging yet interesting combat engine, accompanied by very personal and well designed characters, a huge amount of gameplay time and a brilliantly written plot. My one complaint would be graphics, but theyBioware pride themselves on being able to create amazing storylines that make you feel as if you are actually in the world of the game. Origins is no exception. This game has a challenging yet interesting combat engine, accompanied by very personal and well designed characters, a huge amount of gameplay time and a brilliantly written plot. My one complaint would be graphics, but they aren't particularly bad, just not amazingly good. Besides that, this game is almost perfect. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    Anyone that has played any of BioWare's other RPG titles, and Knights of the Old Republic in particular, will be instantly familiar with the way Dragon Age: Origins works. Having completed one of four unique origin stories the player sets about putting together a team and convincing different tribes to join them in the battle against an army of demons, known as The Blight, that areAnyone that has played any of BioWare's other RPG titles, and Knights of the Old Republic in particular, will be instantly familiar with the way Dragon Age: Origins works. Having completed one of four unique origin stories the player sets about putting together a team and convincing different tribes to join them in the battle against an army of demons, known as The Blight, that are hell-bent on destroying the world. Along with the fantasy setting this plot could of course be considered a little clichéd but the detailed world, expansive history and interesting dialogue choices more than makes up for this.

The gameplay itself is well paced with battles being played out in real time, although they can be paused at any time to allow for tactical decisions to be made. With so many spells and techniques available there is plenty of scope to customise your team just how you want meaning there is a great deal of depth to proceedings.

All in all I found Origins to be a deep and thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish, and that’s saying something in a game that lasted over 50 hours.
  13. May 9, 2011
    One of my absolute favorite games of all time. The story and interaction elements are fantastic. Yes the graphics aren't the greatest and the combat can get frustrating, but it was nothing that kept me from logging many, many hours on several playthroughs. You have to give this game a try if you enjoy an incredible, deep story that will keep you entertained for more time than you'reOne of my absolute favorite games of all time. The story and interaction elements are fantastic. Yes the graphics aren't the greatest and the combat can get frustrating, but it was nothing that kept me from logging many, many hours on several playthroughs. You have to give this game a try if you enjoy an incredible, deep story that will keep you entertained for more time than you're willing to wager. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2011
    Upon getting this game and putting it in my Xbox, I didn't know what to think.
    This was like no other RPG I've ever played, at first I had doubts but I just said "What the hell, why not enjoy something different from Final Fantasy", even to this day, I'm glad I trusted my gut because this was one of the best RPGs I've ever play.
    With 100s of different character creation combinations,
    Upon getting this game and putting it in my Xbox, I didn't know what to think.

With 100s of different character creation combinations, races, classes, and origin stories, add to such interactive gameplay, with a cast a great characters I could relate.

For me, a game that allows me to have my personality in the game will always be a 10/10
  15. Dec 30, 2011
    This game is great. At times it may be slow but the story absolutely blows you away. Each new area that you visit is fun and entertaining and is full of different types of quests. The character progression allows you to mold your character to fit your playing style. The graphics may be sub-par but it makes up for it with a lush environment. I was so excited to see the next place i wasThis game is great. At times it may be slow but the story absolutely blows you away. Each new area that you visit is fun and entertaining and is full of different types of quests. The character progression allows you to mold your character to fit your playing style. The graphics may be sub-par but it makes up for it with a lush environment. I was so excited to see the next place i was going i never even cared about leveling my character up. There was never any need to grind to be able to continue the story. (Besides on nightmare mode) While i loved RPGs like mass effect, oblivion, and KOTOR, i think this was my favorite. The replayability of this game is extremely high because of the multiple origin stories you start off with. (Mage was my favorite) Overall this game is great and i never got tired of being a Grey Warden. Expand
  16. Mar 14, 2012
    One of the few true RPG's to appear in the last 5 years. That being said, it has many flaws that take away from the overall feel of the game. In characteristic Bioware fashion, texture loading decreases in quality as save file size increases. Voice is acting is average at best, with a few notable exceptions. NPC's are generally mediocre and not very notable. Finally, the combatOne of the few true RPG's to appear in the last 5 years. That being said, it has many flaws that take away from the overall feel of the game. In characteristic Bioware fashion, texture loading decreases in quality as save file size increases. Voice is acting is average at best, with a few notable exceptions. NPC's are generally mediocre and not very notable. Finally, the combat mechanics are sluggish and clumsy and battles take far too long on even the easiest difficulty. This is still a very enjoyable game and provides many hours of entertainment. Expand
  17. Apr 13, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins presents fast paced RPG battles with wide cast of lovable, and loathable, companions. Gameplay is built on automated attacks while you the player stratagizes and make use of you and your companions many unique abilities. DA:O offers a nice selection of races and upbringing for your character, combined with the possible skill trees makes each character special. TheDragon Age: Origins presents fast paced RPG battles with wide cast of lovable, and loathable, companions. Gameplay is built on automated attacks while you the player stratagizes and make use of you and your companions many unique abilities. DA:O offers a nice selection of races and upbringing for your character, combined with the possible skill trees makes each character special. The gameplay can be tedious and sometimes even difficult to pick up. People who play for a long time will find a solid battle engine that rewards strategy and quick thinking. Other than that, the story is gripping and presents a wonderful fantasy story that is filled to the brim with fantasy worthy of any epic. Expand
  18. Jan 11, 2013
    Dragon Age: Origins is an action packed RPG where the protagonist of your design is joined by a party of no more then four people fight to save the world. The protagonist can be male or female. The protagonist can be a human, elf, or dwarf. The character creator allows you to make your character completely original. Depending on the character you create you will experience one out of theDragon Age: Origins is an action packed RPG where the protagonist of your design is joined by a party of no more then four people fight to save the world. The protagonist can be male or female. The protagonist can be a human, elf, or dwarf. The character creator allows you to make your character completely original. Depending on the character you create you will experience one out of the six opening scenes which allow you to have an original gaming experience. Dragon Age: Origins has a very engaging story line that never bores you. You can be exploring the lands of Ferelden killing dark spawn, gathering allies, or pursuing possible romances. I would recommend this game for any gamer! This game is perfect for gamers who want to get into RPGs and for pro RPG players who want a test of their skills and an interesting story line. Expand
  19. Mar 18, 2013
    Hands down my favorite game of all time. It had everything I look for in a good RPG; The plotline, which may seem overused at first, was detailed and engaging. The characters were unique and memorable, with distinct personalities and deep back stories, on top of which they have a wide range of skills to match a party to any style of play. Not to mention all the choices; Every major plotHands down my favorite game of all time. It had everything I look for in a good RPG; The plotline, which may seem overused at first, was detailed and engaging. The characters were unique and memorable, with distinct personalities and deep back stories, on top of which they have a wide range of skills to match a party to any style of play. Not to mention all the choices; Every major plot point has at least one major decision that affects the end of the game, and most have many smaller choices too. To go back to your companions; rather than being passive place holders they actually respond to the situation around you; Approving or disapproving of your choices, and giving their own input when they feel strongly about something. (Plus there are few things as amusing as listening to the conversations your party occasionally starts up while you're exploring.)

No, the graphics aren't up to the standard of Bethesda's 'Skyrim', and the loading screens can be a bit of a drag, but beyond that it's very hard to find fault with the game. (And let's face it; The graphics in Skyrim were exceptional, very few games can even come close.
    The graphics are still good enough to make the game engaging, with a few truly beautiful scenes if you take a look around. (Try looking off the cliff by Redcliffe.) And the music is incredible. And for those interested in such things there's a wealth of history and culture in the codex, an unbelievable amount really, without reading even a quarter of it you can fully immerse yourself in the world's politics and racial relations. Nothing is left unexplained to those who want to know.

All in all a simply amazing gaming experience, rife with adventure and humour. A must-have for any gamer.
  20. May 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To put it simply, Dragon Age: Origins is a great game that you will likely be pleased with if you are a fan of RPGs.

Pros:
    - Combat (if you're a fan of auto-attack with a slight strategic bent.)
    - Characters, voice acting
    - Choices effect outcome of game
    - Storyline (it's predictable but original and satisfying.)

Cons
    - Combat (if you are more interested in the action-RPG style.)
    - Graphics (the graphics are definitely tolerable, they are just sub-par compared to other games released at the same time.)
    - Difficulty spikes (some difficult battles are random, unexpected and the game will not autosave beforehand [desire demon in the Circle of Magi, anyone?!] and some battles will be disappointingly easy.)
  21. Feb 28, 2011
    I was never a big fan of Bioware at all. In fact, when I first put this game in my 360, I was already having doubts on if this game will be good, because I tried Mass Effect, which is considered to be Biowares best game, and didn't like it. I admit that the game looked good when I first saw it. A friend of mine decided to let me borrow his copy of Dragon Age, which he later said I couldI was never a big fan of Bioware at all. In fact, when I first put this game in my 360, I was already having doubts on if this game will be good, because I tried Mass Effect, which is considered to be Biowares best game, and didn't like it. I admit that the game looked good when I first saw it. A friend of mine decided to let me borrow his copy of Dragon Age, which he later said I could keep with no charge. Thanks Josh. So, why am I thanking my friend for a game by Bioware, a company I never liked? I'll tell you why. Because this game IS AMAZING!!!!! I'll be perfectly honest, Oblivion is one of my favorite RPG's ever, but I think Dragon Age actually beats it. I'm already looking forward to Dragon Age II, it has become one of my most anticipated games on 2011. So since I only have 5000 characters per review, let's get to the game. The most important aspect in any game is, of course, the gameplay. So, how is the gameplay in Dragon Age? Outstanding! It's like a very fast paced version of the Final Fantasy XI battle system, except much more active. You're not hacking and slashing, but it's still a very active system. Don't you worry Turn-Based Haters, this game is not turn based at all. They basically took the turn-based battle system from FFXI, and removed the turn-based part of it. Absolute genius! You can also set techniques to your quick cast buttons, much like setting your items to the C-buttons in Zelda. This makes it easier, because anything that's not set to your quick cast buttons, you can only cast by opening up the ability menu, and selecting it. However, this is quick, and is a great way to pause the game if you need to observe the battle and decide a change in strategy. Of course like any other advanced RPG, you can create your character to your liking. You can choose between 3 races. Human, Elf, and Dwarf. I decided to be an elf. After that, you choose your job. You can choose one of 3 jobs. Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. I decided to be a rogue, because I like sneaking around and being quick. Each job has 4 specializations that you choose from after unlocking them through quests in the game. The rogue specialization I chose first was Duelist, which is a person who can deal very good damage, and is very good at dodging attacks, and is best with dual wielding daggers. I later made Archer as my 2nd specialization, that one should be obvious. But in case you don't get it, it means you use a bow and arrow. Each time you level up, you get points to spend on character attributes to make him stronger. You do the same with your party members. By the way, you don't travel alone, you have a party with you. So obviously, this means you have to keep a well organized party. As far as the story goes, the story starts off differently for every race, but it all leads down to the same story. You become a Grey Warden, a special warrior meant to protect the people from the darkspawn. Of course that's up to you. The game has the same choice system as Mass Effect, so the choices you make will affect you later on, and you can choose to be a good guy or a bad guy. Not only will your decisions affect you later in this game, but they will also affect you in Dragon Age II, so choose your path wisely. In either case though, you have to gather allies from around the world by either helping them solve their problems so they can aid you, or by forcing them to aid you. The only problem with this game is it's difficulty. Casual mode is too easy, but Normal mode is way too freakin hard. It's like the game completely skipped Normal mode and decided to make Normal mode hard mode. Even the hardcore RPG players are usually playing the game on casual mode, because Normal mode is way too hard, it's nearly impossible. One can only imagine how difficult Hard and Nightmare modes are. I have yet to hear of anyone who can play the game all the way through on Nightmare mode. All and all, fantastic game, and it deserves every penny you pay for it. It has to be one of the best RPG's of all time, so if you love RPG's, pick this game up. Mass Effect ain't got **** on Dragon Age! 10/10. Expand
  22. Jul 26, 2011
    I played through this game in its entirety 11 times. So many times, I had to remove characters to a flashdrive because you're only allowed to create 8 characters. It's that good.
  23. GommbawaJ
    Jan 3, 2010
    The most compelling, engaging and emotional storyline of any RPG to date. Make that any game, actually. This was a near perfect game imo, the only improvements I'd make is in the loot and tactics system. But that can be improved in the next release. Really, really want to congratulate the team. Amazing game.
  24. JoseM
    Nov 8, 2009
    A brilliant RPG with combat which is a mixture of Mass Effect and KOTOR. As such, combined with an engaging story and interesting characters, all the elements of this game bond together to make arguably the best RPG on this generation of consoles.
  25. Killacure
    Dec 2, 2009
    This game is so rich in story and the pay off for time spent in its lavish world is untouchable.
  26. TRoberts
    Jan 21, 2010
    This is the best RPG-game i played i hope mass effect2 will be better but this game is also great
  27. PatJ
    Nov 3, 2009
    Got it yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. The sun came up before I realized how many hours had gone by and all I can think about at work is getting home to play it some more.
  28. Sep 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, I finished the campaign last night and uh, it was nice. Very satisfying ending. Overall, I like the game a lot. That should be obvious, I've posted quite a bit about it. That's cause it's very good. Not a perfect game though. Not a game I can consider as a candidate for GOTY 2009, let's just say. The BioWare signature is definitely all over it, you can feel that same sort of relationship with characters that you got in KOTOR and ME and all that. It's just a very cozy and enjoyable experience, I'd say.

But ya know, there's a few wrong turns as well and I figured I'd just write up my thoughts on that. Quick summary here and uh, maybe there'll be improvements for Dragon Age 2, which I eagerly look forward to.

The graphics in DA aren't so hot. I can't believe I'm living in a world where people are posting that they can't believe they live in a world where the graphics in Dragon Age are considered bad. Like, really? Honestly, this is the year 2009. Dragon Age's graphics are considered bad, because they are bad. You look at video games, and it's clear we've come pretty far. Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Crysis, Gears of War 2, Dead Space, Infamous, Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2, lots of games with great graphics. But ohohoho, you raise your hand and object... those are all action games, not RPGs! Well, alright... that's true. Let's look at RPGs... we've got games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, all which look much better then Dragon Age. And some of em came out over two years ago. And I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy 13 is going to look much better then DA when it comes out sometime next year. I've never played an FF game in my life, and don't intend to pick up FF13, but it's clear to even a dude like me that it looks so much better then what BioWare delivered to us here. So no, it's not crazy to say that DA has some pretty bad visuals.

It's all fine and dandy if you say you're a hardcore RPG player and story-telling and dialogue come first and you don't care about graphics. That's fine, those are your own preferences. But to simply ignore that they are not that great is deluding yourself. It's like buying a used car with some scratches on the paint. You might value great gas mileage and the roomy interior and so the scratches on the paint don't really bother you at all. That's not why you bought the car, it doesn't affect your enjoyment of it. But don't act as if the paintjob is beautiful and flawless while conversing with your next door neighbor. Don't tell him the paint is great. That's escaping into some sort of bizarro world.

The world is changing, I feel. We no longer have to put up with FPSs with nonexistent stories, or RPGs with horrible visuals. What's Fallout 3? It's a first person shooter, but also an RPG. What's Mass Effect? It's a third person shooter, but also an RPG. It's not an either or proposition. Oblivion was an RPG that actually had decent combat for a change. This is a good thing, new games are taking the best elements of each genre and coming up with a really nice hybrid design. So don't give me the old chestnut that because it's an RPG, you shouldn't expect anything in terms of graphics. That doesn't fly anymore. Well, unless it's an indie game, which I don't think DA is. It's a BioWare game, so you're damn right my expectations are gonna be high. They've set a high standard for consistently great RPGs. KOTOR looked great when it came out in 2003. Mass Effect looked great when it came out in 2007. So to me, expecting BioWare stuff to look good isn't exactly going off and battling windmills.

As far as Morrigan goes... I'm kinda amused by all the discussion about her. It's really interesting how some people hate her a lot. I dunno, she was fine for my tastes. It's uh, it's okay if BioWare didn't just give us a retread of Bastila Shan or Liara. I might actually have found that really boring and lame. Morrigan's just different but still kinda alluring and provides a little discord in the party dynamic. Kinda reminds me of Joanna from the BattleTech novels. Ya know, mostly from Robert Thurston's body of work. Some people don't like Joanna cause she's basically a **** but a lot of people, including me, really really like her. Not like as in, I'd really like to be her BFF in real life, but we enjoy her as an intriguing literary character. Some people are just not that happy go lucky and they do have to occupy that realm of anti-hero. So yea, Morrigan's kinda... the best at what she does, but what she does isn't very nice? Heh...
  29. Aug 15, 2013
    A very good RPG. I don't like how Bioware makes its games for teen boys when it comes to women, sex and the dialogue in general. In DAO that stuff is sufficiently out of the way so that it doesn't get in the way of gaming. I'd rather have a world like that in Witcher instead of Bioware's classic good vs evil with large breasted women and huge spiky armors. Nevertheless, DAO was good.A very good RPG. I don't like how Bioware makes its games for teen boys when it comes to women, sex and the dialogue in general. In DAO that stuff is sufficiently out of the way so that it doesn't get in the way of gaming. I'd rather have a world like that in Witcher instead of Bioware's classic good vs evil with large breasted women and huge spiky armors. Nevertheless, DAO was good. Definitely the best game Bioware has ever produced and looking at the horror that was Dragon's Age 2 and how they "developed" Mass Effect downhill through the series it is safe to say that DAO will be their best game ever. Expand
  30. zach
    Nov 8, 2009
    This is a good game. Although this game is decent the company was just tricking themselves into thinking this would be a ground-breaking game. I like the RPG elements but they actually are uminspired. Baulders Gate was much better and this is a lot better than Mass Effect. Overall I would say SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR MODERN WARFARE 2!!
  31. Apr 28, 2011
    Ok, so being a fan of bioware and their previous games such as baldurs gate, KOTOR, mass effect etc I knew what to expect from an RPG from them, this game being very similar to Knights of the old republic in many respects I was at home with the way the mechanics of the game worked such as interactive dialogue etc. They storyline is very consuming and characters very believable, i even feltOk, so being a fan of bioware and their previous games such as baldurs gate, KOTOR, mass effect etc I knew what to expect from an RPG from them, this game being very similar to Knights of the old republic in many respects I was at home with the way the mechanics of the game worked such as interactive dialogue etc. They storyline is very consuming and characters very believable, i even felt myself feeling for them at some points of the game. The combat is not real time and when leveling up your characters and others you have to constantly change their 'quick' set of moves from the menu to the more powerful moves etc so they dont keep the old less powerful ones, the menus are full of statistics and the codex contains interesting info about each important character in the quest, which helps to build an understanding of their relationship to you and the game world. Each main character is voice acted superbly and the story is absolutely convincing and draws you in in a way only bioware RPGs do. This is the best part of the game and will keep you playing as the gameplay gets a bit repetive after a while. Now the main problem with the game is the difficulty, I started out on the highest difficulty (nightmare) which of course was extremely difficult but to the point where i found myself stuck in the wilds at the beginning of the game unable to progress because i could not defeat the enemies, after many failed attempts I changed the difficulty and after a little more put it down to casual, the problem was sorted out for the most part. However the difficulty level still seemed to jump in places from being very easy to being very tough, which was frustrating. Other than that I'd say the lack of the 'light' and 'dark' side meter took away from the experience as there was no consequence to being evil and your character leaning toward a darker more sinister person. Or doing good deeds becoming a 'lighter' type of character who helps those in need. I also would have preferred the game touse real time combat like in mass effect, except of course with swords etc. Overall I'd recommend this game to any RPG fan but not over mass effect 1 or 2, which I believe along with KOTOR are the best bioware have to offer. Expand
  32. Jun 30, 2011
    This has to be one of if not the best games I have ever played, the story is fantastic and that alone will have you glued to your controller for many hours, it's emotional, intense, and epic, and the characters are the best of any Bioware game so far, only a few characters from the Mass Effect series are this enjoyable, but you still do have some lame followers like Sten and Zevran, butThis has to be one of if not the best games I have ever played, the story is fantastic and that alone will have you glued to your controller for many hours, it's emotional, intense, and epic, and the characters are the best of any Bioware game so far, only a few characters from the Mass Effect series are this enjoyable, but you still do have some lame followers like Sten and Zevran, but for the most part they are awesome, and they are genuinely hilarious, I found myself often laughing until I couldn't breath at some of the conversations between the characters (Alistair and Morrigans bickering is a laugh riot!) and the combat system works well for the game, and feels every bit like a classic RPG which is a good thing, and it has HIGH replayability do to do to multiple character creation options and different choices to make, that and it's just so much fun, and for all these good things I was originally going to give this a perfect 10/10, but there is one flaw, during the end of the game there is a HUGE difficulty spike, don't get me wrong the game was always challenging, but it was the rewarding kind of challenging, but at the end it's just frustrating, before that combat is nicely paced and you have just enough enemies to feel challenged, but in the final moments your constantly swarmed with enemies at all sides, and this also happens during the final boss battle, I mean the boss itself is tough, but just tough enough to be fun, what makes this encounter so frustrating is that when you get its health to 50% he sends in swarms of enemies, which once again overwhelm you, I eventually made it past this boss battle, but only after a lot of cheap deaths, I mean nothing i the game prepares you for that, no warning or anything to how frustrating it will be in its final moments, but even with those flaws I still loved this game and it has earned itself a special place in my heart, and it's an experience I will never forget, it's just a shame that the final moments are so frustrating, but this is a near perfect game, and I highly recommend it to any and all gamers, this is definitely one of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  33. Jul 5, 2011
    Just as good as Origins except where it counts, the end. The ending and even the later parts of the game just serve to ruin the story from Origins. I would love to erase this from my memory and from the canon of Dragon Age as a whole.
  34. Mar 13, 2011
    ¡Por los Guardas grises!

Bastante tarde, aunque ya saben el dicho... Llega el analisis de uno de los mejores videojuegos que nos ha deparado la generación con caracteristicas bastante peculiares y con el respaldo de un estudio ya acostumbrado a crear obras maestras, como lo es BioWare.

â
  35. Feb 28, 2013
    I definitely enjoyed playing this game, Bioware yet again delivered a great RPG experience, the only problem I have with it, is it's ridiculous loading screen times.
  36. Apr 28, 2013
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. Amazing Combat with its stop and pause combat systems, It feels powerful when you pull off risky moves with your team of very awesome characters. The story is one of the best and they pulled it off. Even though some side quest are plain they feel rushed just to keep hours going with barely any story but the minor of them are very good side quest. ThisOne of the best RPGs I've ever played. Amazing Combat with its stop and pause combat systems, It feels powerful when you pull off risky moves with your team of very awesome characters. The story is one of the best and they pulled it off. Even though some side quest are plain they feel rushed just to keep hours going with barely any story but the minor of them are very good side quest. This Game is amazing, I played it for hours and it was very well developed. This game will forever be in my arsenal of video games. Unlike Dragon age 2 and 3. .hehe. Expand
  37. Jan 22, 2016
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it. The depth though is also the worst thing about it This game starts out with letting you customize your character and choosing your class. All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given. There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game… I
    Dragon Age Origins
    More like Goose Age Origins
    This game is deep, and that’s the greatest thing about it.
    The depth though is also the worst thing about it
    All of your choices here will determine the origins story you are given.
    There’s potentially 6 different stories to be told in this game…
    I played the console version of this game, so it’s much more action oriented than strategy based.
    You can journey with 4 allies at a time to help you fight enemies and you can gain new allies along your journey,
    How you treat your allies and the people in the world around you will determine if they turn their back on you or help you with your cause.
    Your allies do a fairly decent job at holding their own... they only got stuck one time in my entire playthrough.
    You can equip gear you find on them much like a JRPG, there is tons of micro managing your ally’s skills as well as yours,
    Dragon Age Origins is lengthy, but not lengthy because there is so much great content to experience...
    The game is long just for the sake of being long... it accomplishes nothing in dragging the story on forever and makes you do more than you should really have to…
    The entire game feels like one giant goose chase.
    After your origins story the map opens up and you can freely clear it in any order you choose,
    The incentive to doing so is there is a blight... demons… an army... you need allies, so you set out into the vast sections to gain those allies...
    Each section of the map could literally be their own game… and not necessarily in a good way.
    They all have their own self-contained stories that link to the overarching story, but every single one of them follow the formula of the main story, which is you think you’re done but you’re not
    you get to whoever you’re looking for but they need you to do this before they’ll help you but when you get there to do what they need there’s someone there that needs you to help them before they can help you help the person that you need to help before they’ll help you..
    Its overwhelming and ultimately makes the game feel like it drags on forever
    and quite frankly it does... you never feel like you are making any true progress…
    It took me 10 hours of playing before the game got even a little bit interesting to me.
    There are some really cool sections to this game, again they all feel like they could be their own game...
    It’s crazy to look back when you’re near the end and think of the journey you’ve been on and how it was indeed part of this game and not some game you played years ago even though it feels like it.
    There’s mages, demons, going through the fade and shape shifting, hunting werewolves down in the forest, going underground to search for a mighty anvil
    There is so much to experience.
    While Dragon Age’s game world is vast and deep, I found the gameplay and journey to be shallow and tedious.
    Due to the delivery of the story, and the constant webbing of story lines I found Dragon Age Origins to eventually feel more like a chore than a game,
    After about 30 hours in I was begging for the game to be over, to get to the point, but instead it drug me down another 20 hours of rabbit holes.
    If the rabbit holes don’t make the game feel tedious enough, it also does a horrible job at quest progression in general...
    You rarely know where you’re supposed to go,
    The marker for the quest you’re on only appears when you’re close to the desired location…
    and by close, I mean practically on top of it…
    Which will lead you right to google to figure out where this person lives since who’s going to really memorize the locations of these people by name?
    I’m not
    There’s a Lot to do in Dragon Age Origins, so I can definitely see why people love this game so much…
    Even I appreciate the game for what it has going on...
    There was just ultimately nothing here to hook me in...
    If I didn’t feel obligated to make it to the credits, I definitely wouldn’t have
    I give Dragon Age Origins a 7.5/10
  38. DexterP.
    Nov 9, 2009
    An Excellent adventure, If you're a fan of the Knights of the Old Republic series then you will feel right at home with BioWare's latest RPG. The Story line is magnificent, the character development and the combat can only be described as old school. The only reason it misses a 10 is because of some hit and miss voice acting and Graphics that can at times feel a little dated, An Excellent adventure, If you're a fan of the Knights of the Old Republic series then you will feel right at home with BioWare's latest RPG. The Story line is magnificent, the character development and the combat can only be described as old school. The only reason it misses a 10 is because of some hit and miss voice acting and Graphics that can at times feel a little dated, never the less, this is a game that BioWare fans, simply have to own. Expand
  39. HollyC
    Jan 4, 2010
    This is the first time I've gone for a Bioware RPG on Xbox, rather than my PC-- and I'm kinda wishing I had gotten DragonAge for the PC. A couple reasons-- the graphics I've seen for the PC version are remarkably better also the pause factor standard with all Bioware stuff is still much better on a PC--along with combat control/micromanaging. However, even with the This is the first time I've gone for a Bioware RPG on Xbox, rather than my PC-- and I'm kinda wishing I had gotten DragonAge for the PC. A couple reasons-- the graphics I've seen for the PC version are remarkably better also the pause factor standard with all Bioware stuff is still much better on a PC--along with combat control/micromanaging. However, even with the lackluster porting from PC to Xbox, DragonAge Origins is one stellar RPG--more akin to Baldur's Gate than Oblivion (yay for NPC party). The characters, relationships and story arc you create are completely immersive and soon you forget all about the console issues--which is a massive compliment to the story of the game. My few gameplay issues: Vast amount of quests--and sometimes they aren't real clear (or mapped) --making it a chore to rifle through them--much easier to do on PC, not so much on the XBox. A couple environments were difficult to figure out b/c of this--and sometimes the payoff was so little that the whole quest felt kind of like a job rather than fun. Same with some dialog choices--decisions--subtle responses can change your entire game if you're not careful, and unless you want to replay the game a bajillion times to get different outcomes, you find yourself reloading to get the outcome that feels best instead--which I don't think was the intention. However, the main story arc was so solid and epic that it's worth it all. As others said, the story is pretty much ripped wholesale from others (LotR especially)--but it doesn't matter--it's still epic and totally fun. Expand
  40. JohanA
    Jan 4, 2010
    Good story, interesting world and characters with lots of fun action. The graphics are not great and the GUI for reading codex entries is horrible.
  41. RockyB
    Jan 5, 2010
    phics suck for a modern game but the story is awesome. I also like how the origins thing worked.. Game is fun but controls in some of the battles having to pause to direct your teammates was a litte tricky. Once again the story made up for everything
  42. Vikings#1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Beside the character models, this game's graphics are xbox or ps2 type. Still, the story is good and very long. I like the fact that the combat can either be hack-and-slash type or very tactical-strategy type. The only reasons this game is not a 10 are because of graphics and that it's not an true open-world rpg like Oblivion.
  43. nKayu
    Nov 9, 2009
    Ok, this is not a graphic killer game, ok, the PC version is (maybe) superior than the consoles version... but it's an amazing game who locks me in front of my TV for hours... And for that I give it a 9 !
  44. SysyphusT
    Nov 9, 2009
    1up's score is not a 100. Their maximum score is A+ and they gave Dragon Age an A. So their score should be a 90 or so.
  45. MatthewH
    Nov 11, 2009
    I would have preferred spoken dialog from the protagonist, and the graphics suffer from the occasional hiccup now and again. If we had been given a USB keyboard / mouse option, I'd be completely in love, but having spent time with Mass Effect, the controller commands were not particularly difficult to migrate to. Make no mistake, the content here is enormous and the execution with I would have preferred spoken dialog from the protagonist, and the graphics suffer from the occasional hiccup now and again. If we had been given a USB keyboard / mouse option, I'd be completely in love, but having spent time with Mass Effect, the controller commands were not particularly difficult to migrate to. Make no mistake, the content here is enormous and the execution with which it was made is nigh flawless. This is a game that oozes with the love and care of it's remarkably talented creators. Expand
  46. JonathanW
    Nov 17, 2009
    I can't give it a ten because of the graphics, yet a 9.4 to 9.7 seems fair enough to me. Some elements of the storyline are predictable, but the maturity level ,presentation, and quality of the story telling makes up for it. Political and social issuses in the game draw out real emotions from within making the game experience more personal. Futhermore, I enjoy the fact that you I can't give it a ten because of the graphics, yet a 9.4 to 9.7 seems fair enough to me. Some elements of the storyline are predictable, but the maturity level ,presentation, and quality of the story telling makes up for it. Political and social issuses in the game draw out real emotions from within making the game experience more personal. Futhermore, I enjoy the fact that you actually have to set your AI character tatics in some parts of the game in order to pprevent your party from wipping. Expand
  47. SamC.
    Nov 24, 2009
    Graphics are decent, story and world are incredible, combat is, in my opinion, extremely fun. Sometimes, and this isn't always the case, it seems like the dialogues can drag on (when you're in the mood to kick some ass, I mean) and it would've been cool to give the main character a voice. Also, Roger R and Zac whatever, are idiots.
  48. BarryD.Great
    Nov 27, 2009
    Playing this game as a Mage characters seems to be the way to go. I initially started out with a warrior and the combat seems a little wonky-kind of just alot going on and somewhat difficult to determine how much impact your character is contributing to the fight. I think the mage combat is really good generally because you can stand back away from the action and allow your player to do Playing this game as a Mage characters seems to be the way to go. I initially started out with a warrior and the combat seems a little wonky-kind of just alot going on and somewhat difficult to determine how much impact your character is contributing to the fight. I think the mage combat is really good generally because you can stand back away from the action and allow your player to do damage and heal. Its much easier to grasp your impact on the game. I find the graphics to be fine with no real issues and the story line is as good as I seen in any game this year. You have to be a fan of this genre in order to fully enjoy this game. I can easily see people either love it or hate it. Expand
  49. PhilC
    Nov 29, 2009
    This game is easily one of the best RPGs ever produced. While the system is a bit difficult to get used to because one is not able to micromanage like the old school games, I still think it was awesome. After three playthroughs I'm still digging through my options and I can play the game through differently every time. The choices here are not black and white... very shades of gray, This game is easily one of the best RPGs ever produced. While the system is a bit difficult to get used to because one is not able to micromanage like the old school games, I still think it was awesome. After three playthroughs I'm still digging through my options and I can play the game through differently every time. The choices here are not black and white... very shades of gray, which is exactly how it should be. I don't get the complaints about the graphics. My only complaint is that I wish it were more seamless like Oblivion.. but that's not what Bioware does. Expand
  50. JimsumB
    Nov 29, 2009
    Best game from them since KOTOR - this game is KOTOR but with swords and shields instead of lightsabres. When i was originally waiting for Mass Effect i was hoping for more of a Jade Empire/KOTOR experience but was let down but overjoyed that a different direction still hooked me,now im overjoyed as i have a game that reminds me of KOTOR and Jade Empire,and love a new direction with Mass Best game from them since KOTOR - this game is KOTOR but with swords and shields instead of lightsabres. When i was originally waiting for Mass Effect i was hoping for more of a Jade Empire/KOTOR experience but was let down but overjoyed that a different direction still hooked me,now im overjoyed as i have a game that reminds me of KOTOR and Jade Empire,and love a new direction with Mass Effect that has a sequel on the way and being a big fan of all of Bioware games i can only hope they continue the good work.Who knows where their emotional engine they use within their games will be in many years time.The only game where the the dialogue and choices you make actually makie a difference and shaping the world around you its a win win situation for me. 9 out of 10 although it would have got a 9.5 if they had ironed out all the bugs and made the graphics just a tad better. Expand
  51. PanchoV.
    Nov 3, 2009
    Even though it's visuals might not be state of the art - the story is totally engrossing and the world ha sucked me in. For the record, I actually prefer playing on the console to the PC, but that's probably just my taste in games these days.
  52. ChrisP.
    Nov 8, 2009
    K first off roger r. could not be more wrong in his analysis of the game. It's not turn based, so please play the game before you start giving it horrible reviews. Second this game is not for twelve year olds. If you are twelve years old i would stick with Halo 3 where you'll fit in with all the other mic screamers. Lastly this game is actually very good, if you like the RPG K first off roger r. could not be more wrong in his analysis of the game. It's not turn based, so please play the game before you start giving it horrible reviews. Second this game is not for twelve year olds. If you are twelve years old i would stick with Halo 3 where you'll fit in with all the other mic screamers. Lastly this game is actually very good, if you like the RPG elements of Oblivion you WILL like this game. Nothing is wrong with The Lord of the Rings references they were great movies. So please rent this game if you like RPG's or Bioware I promise you won't be disappointed. Expand
  53. mh
    Nov 8, 2009
    Almost positive the guy that gave the score of 1 on the first page hasn't even played this game since he described this game as "turn-based" when it is definitely not a turn-based rpg. But anyways, the graphics are average. Fabulous story, very entertaining world and characters, and one of the most addicting games I've played all year. Thought that the rogues were nerfed in the Almost positive the guy that gave the score of 1 on the first page hasn't even played this game since he described this game as "turn-based" when it is definitely not a turn-based rpg. But anyways, the graphics are average. Fabulous story, very entertaining world and characters, and one of the most addicting games I've played all year. Thought that the rogues were nerfed in the early character levels, but they get much better as they lvl up fortunately. Collapse
  54. BrentE
    Nov 8, 2009
    I personally love the return to party based rpg. I loved Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and NWN. Many people who never played those prefer their rpg's light - like Mass Effect - too short, too basic. I am enjoying DA:O and am still hoping for BG3 to come out one day. I don't see the big deal with the graphics myself. I prefer gameplay and story over them in my rpg's anyway.
  55. MikeK
    Dec 13, 2009
    This has to be one of the best RPGs i have played in a very long time, if you like Knights of the old republic, baldurs gate, never winter knights, you will love this game its one of my personal favorites don't let other people tell you other wise!
  56. D.E.
    Nov 25, 2009
    + Addicting. Hours can be spent outfitting your party. Visuals, you grow accustomed to them. Feel like a major BA while laying waste to large groups of enemies. After playing for several quests it gets much easier to switch between party members and use all their amazing abilities. Must buy. - Poor looting system
  57. PoiterA
    Dec 12, 2009
    Awesome game initial graphics are a let down but u soon become acustomed to that. Mad story even if it feels like its been taken from movies and other games. Combat system is fun. It is hard sometimes in pause combat to direct everyone. Quests can be mapped poorly or confusing. The origin idea is fantastic and all in all a solid game...
  58. JeremyM
    Dec 13, 2009
    The story of this game is extremely well written. I love the fact that you have so many different starting options. The control scheme takes about 10 minutes to get used to, but once you start playing,,, hours pass before you realize that you've been engrossed for so long!
  59. MikelH
    Dec 25, 2009
    Dragon Age: Origins... what a game, really! In all the reviews I read before purchasing my own copy, the main complaint about this game was most definitely the graphics. Myself, I still found them really nice, but that's because I am accustomed to Wii and last generation consoles. I just got my 360 recently. Still, as I became acquainted with the 360 graphics, I did find myself Dragon Age: Origins... what a game, really! In all the reviews I read before purchasing my own copy, the main complaint about this game was most definitely the graphics. Myself, I still found them really nice, but that's because I am accustomed to Wii and last generation consoles. I just got my 360 recently. Still, as I became acquainted with the 360 graphics, I did find myself grimacing at the horrid lack of sharpness. Some things are downright ugly, which is strange because the exact same areas, like facial hair for example, are so well done in Mass Effect. Strange... graphics are my only real complaint though. The story is incredible. Most fantasy novels, and there are countless ones out there, could not hope to compete with the storyline of DA. DA is like an incredibly epic 6 novel series, beloved and classic, adored for generations for its detail, imagination, and majesty. If you ever wanted to play a game that felt as epic as watching or reading Lord of the Rings, but still felt totally original and not as a Tolkien rip off. You've got it here. Granted, there are huge homages to Tolkein, but the approach to generally stereotyped species like elves, dwarves, even orcs (who are renamed "darkspawn" in this game). These species are reimagined in ways I had never thought of before and was incredibly drawn in and fascinated to see. The world is so real, so immersive (The codex is so huge, so well thought out, that you'll fancy yourself a Ferelden scholar by the time it's over). The darkspawn are generally much more evil and chilling than even Peter Jackson's orcs, and I found them an incredibly chilling foe to face, but abominations are pretty horrifying too. Character development: top notch. You'll love these characters, and some you'll be irritated by, not because of their voice or looks, but because of their actual character. There are multiple gut-wrenching moral decisions that are genuinely difficult to make, that you must think deeply about. Very few companies can make you care about the characters in a game like Bioware do. Great game. Incredible story, characters, imagination, and atmosphere. Absolutely nauseating graphics. I'd say it's worth it. Expand
  60. Aug 14, 2010
    An epic immersive storyline, some fantastically humorous and emotionally engaging characters (Oghren and Alistair for myself). A somewhat clunky and combat system to begin with, but definitely one of the better ones for its genre. A huge campaign quest line and side quests that can take from 40 -100 hours depending on your own speed and interest. Each of my play throughs has taken ~60An epic immersive storyline, some fantastically humorous and emotionally engaging characters (Oghren and Alistair for myself). A somewhat clunky and combat system to begin with, but definitely one of the better ones for its genre. A huge campaign quest line and side quests that can take from 40 -100 hours depending on your own speed and interest. Each of my play throughs has taken ~60 hours, considering few games last longer than 10 hours of gameplay this is a great investment. Expand
  61. Sep 9, 2010
    Dragon Age for the XBOX lives under the shadow of its PC counterpart. Many of the criticisms that can be tossed at the console version such as its graphic, GUI and companion control issues are non issues on the PC. But if you don't have a PC that can play DA don't let that persuade you to pass on this game though. After losing its license for Dungeons and Dragons, Bioware did a fine jobDragon Age for the XBOX lives under the shadow of its PC counterpart. Many of the criticisms that can be tossed at the console version such as its graphic, GUI and companion control issues are non issues on the PC. But if you don't have a PC that can play DA don't let that persuade you to pass on this game though. After losing its license for Dungeons and Dragons, Bioware did a fine job of constructing their own in depth world although admittedly not nearly as vast as Forgotten Realms. Those that enjoy reading about the world via codex entry will be in heaven here. I personally missed quite a bit of information because I didn't follow-up and read all the entries (and there are LOTS of them) as I came across them. Sometimes I would complete missions I didn't even know I was on. I think that the tsunami wave of back story you find in the world is an attempt to quickly build the history and mythology of Ferelden to be as immersive as the world of Baldur's Gate. As overwhelming a task as it may seem, they've done an awesome job (let us give a toast). I also appreciate the mature content in this game. I find that game studios are becoming more prudish when it comes to sexual content and gender roles but more liberal with graphic violence and death. Not that this game overly objectifies a particular gender but at the same time I didn't feel like I was in an after school special. My fear is that this game is among a dying bread of adult games and that game studios in the future will create nothing but PG and PG 13 like games. Support Mature games and buy Dragon Age! Expand
  62. Oct 27, 2010
    The main story is very good and has a lot of great quests. Unfortunately it is not helped by the poor graphics and the fact the main quest is very very hard.
  63. Dec 13, 2010
    Very, very satisfying game. The customization ability in the game is superb. So many choices in creating your character physically as well as classes and special abilities. The game also has a great storyline and history to it. I'm sure if you took the time to read everything that you pick up along the way, it would read much like a fantastical story. The game can be difficult at a fewVery, very satisfying game. The customization ability in the game is superb. So many choices in creating your character physically as well as classes and special abilities. The game also has a great storyline and history to it. I'm sure if you took the time to read everything that you pick up along the way, it would read much like a fantastical story. The game can be difficult at a few points but for a beginning gamer, it should be a simple task on the easiest difficulty. There is tons of replay ability in the game. It will make you want to change characters and play a whole new storyline. It took me around 25 hours to complete and i didn't do too many side quests. The DLC will add a pretty substanial amount of time as well. The audio is great and a few characters really stand out in their voice acting. The one complaint I have with the game is the graphics and bugs along the way. There are many blotched settings and bugged conversations, which can get annoying. However, the game was tremendous and i recommend it to somebody who loves RPG's. Overall: 8.7/10. Expand
  64. Sep 5, 2012
    This game was.... a pleasent surprise actually. A bloody good story that's quite dark and mature (And is mature in the way it handles these darker elements) with a wide cast of lovable characters and an antagonist that you just love to hate. Yes, the style of story is nothing new but it certainly is the best of the formula. The combat is not really my thing but I found it fun anyway, and IThis game was.... a pleasent surprise actually. A bloody good story that's quite dark and mature (And is mature in the way it handles these darker elements) with a wide cast of lovable characters and an antagonist that you just love to hate. Yes, the style of story is nothing new but it certainly is the best of the formula. The combat is not really my thing but I found it fun anyway, and I actually had to reduce the difficulty because this game is HARD. You can still play this game as a casual if you lower the difficulty but even on normal you WILL need to gear up, choose your party wisely and go in with a plan if you want to win most fights, even with trash mobs. It was a little frustrating at first, but there's the option to lower the difficulty if you wish, and it's nice to see a game that isn't super-easy or super-cheap, considering the abundance of those games nowadays. The best characters in the game by far are both Alistair (You always want to hug him :3) and Morrigan (She's a **** but you love her for it :D). Both are polar opposites but are both played masterfully and their interactions are some of the funniest in the game. Of course Zevran is great, but his backstory and seeming lack of character development puts him at third unfortunately. He's still great though. In conclusion, if you love a good hero story or old-style RPG's then you will LOVE this game, as it is basically the perfection of the formula. Expand
  65. Jan 14, 2011
    This is good RPG with some good characters, intriguing options, and a decent story. I disagree that it's the "spiritual successor" of Baldur's Gate (though even DA's creators don't claim that), but I'm not really sure that DA tries to be anything other than a new fantasy RP IP and a good one at that. It's much more focused on action and character development than Baldur's Gate, whileThis is good RPG with some good characters, intriguing options, and a decent story. I disagree that it's the "spiritual successor" of Baldur's Gate (though even DA's creators don't claim that), but I'm not really sure that DA tries to be anything other than a new fantasy RP IP and a good one at that. It's much more focused on action and character development than Baldur's Gate, while lacking the depth and richness of the environment and narrative of the BG series. Combat can be a bit wonky. I recommend being a mage for the greatest flexibility and tactical strength. Anyway, this is a fine RPG, but it's clear that Mass Effect is Bioware's flagship RPG series. Maybe Dragon Age 2 will prove me wrong, but ME2 set the bar pretty high. Unless you greatly prefer fantasy to sci-fi, choose to play Mass Effect before this. Expand
  66. May 11, 2012
    Dragon Age is above and beyond better then any non open world fantasy RPG on the 360. Which sounds less impressive then the game really is. It has superb voice acting, great visuals, a memorable plot and loads of content. The combat is also a treat as it incorperates strategy elements that make you think fast and use your team as a cohesive unit. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for aDragon Age is above and beyond better then any non open world fantasy RPG on the 360. Which sounds less impressive then the game really is. It has superb voice acting, great visuals, a memorable plot and loads of content. The combat is also a treat as it incorperates strategy elements that make you think fast and use your team as a cohesive unit. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a new franchise to put faith in. Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2011
    Best game I have ever played. I realize this much more so, given how much I hated the sequel... I loved the dialogue, the environments, the story and the variety. Oh DA:O, you'll be missed.
  68. Mar 24, 2011
    I really love this game. I feel like this game was made specifically for me. Being able to choose from different origin stories for your character is an excellent idea that guarantees replay value. The story is well written, deep and enjoyable. I don't feel the graphics are that bad, although I don't feel they're that good either. I do love the art style though. The realisticI really love this game. I feel like this game was made specifically for me. Being able to choose from different origin stories for your character is an excellent idea that guarantees replay value. The story is well written, deep and enjoyable. I don't feel the graphics are that bad, although I don't feel they're that good either. I do love the art style though. The realistic character animations really help with the immersion of this game. I felt like I was in this world and I cared about every choice I made and everything that took place in the game. This is definitely one of the best rpg's out to date. Highly Recommended! Expand
  69. Mar 11, 2011
    Dragon Age: Origins gripped me from the very beginning. I have fully played through the game with three separate characters, and had a partial play through with a fourth. I've easily invested several hundred hours playing, and loved every minute. Out of everything I like about the game, there are two components that stand out:
    1) I had to make difficult decisions with no obvious right
    1) I had to make difficult decisions with no obvious right answer, and my decisions had impact.
    2) The character interactions were outstanding. I loved learning about what made each of my party members tick.

The game was outstanding, and made it easy for me to decide to pre-order the sequel (something I have never done before).
  70. Mar 15, 2011
    By no measure an awful game, it manages to deliver exactly what it claims to. Containing many loved classic RPG elements and the tried and true formula for all recent Bioware games (Mainly Mass Effect and KOTOR) this game is surely to keep you occupied for hours on end. Being an FPS gamer myself (ArmA 2, Halo, Oblivion if that counts, being a hybrid game and all), I found myself boredBy no measure an awful game, it manages to deliver exactly what it claims to. Containing many loved classic RPG elements and the tried and true formula for all recent Bioware games (Mainly Mass Effect and KOTOR) this game is surely to keep you occupied for hours on end. Being an FPS gamer myself (ArmA 2, Halo, Oblivion if that counts, being a hybrid game and all), I found myself bored nearly 36 hours in, especially during the deep roads quest arch, however, loving a good story and good characters, I found the motivation to push through to the end and even enjoyed it enough to purchase the expansion pack, Awakening. All in all, I give it a 9, and hope to enjoy Dragon Age 2 just as much. Expand
  71. Apr 7, 2011
    Poor graphics for 2009, no doubt, but an undeniably wickedly good RPG through and through. From the immersive storyline (a bit of a LOTR rip-off, mind you), to the great voice-acting, the endless fun banter between the companions (Alistair & dog! Morrigan -sigh-), the camp, the 7 different origin stories (what a treat), travelling and exploring Ferelden, finishing moves, the codex, thePoor graphics for 2009, no doubt, but an undeniably wickedly good RPG through and through. From the immersive storyline (a bit of a LOTR rip-off, mind you), to the great voice-acting, the endless fun banter between the companions (Alistair & dog! Morrigan -sigh-), the camp, the 7 different origin stories (what a treat), travelling and exploring Ferelden, finishing moves, the codex, the beautiful songs (Leliana!!), the artstyle, the romance, the combat tactics etc it all sucks you in. You are genuinely interested in what people, specially companions, have to say. In one word, you have to own it, period. Buy the Ultimate edition which includes the expansion (Awakening) and all 7 DLC. This RPG is as good as the genre gets. Bioware, thanks for making yet another game. Expand
  72. Mar 16, 2011
    Origins is an example of how games can be brilliant and immersive without amazing visuals.Alot of dlc and and expansion some better than others.Its one of those games that grows and grows on you,and thats quality.The combat in this version clunky but still fun when you go trhough the class upgrades.All in all well worth checking out if you havent already.
  73. Mar 18, 2011
    Dragon Age: Origins is a shining example of what made RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Knights of the Old Republic such engaging and entertaining games. Everything from the combat system to the story to the dialogue feels old school and, while this may turn off many gamers, for those wishing to experience old school tactical fantasy, Dragon Age: Origins is the perfect game.
  74. Nov 14, 2011
    This is a game that takes a little while to get into. For the first few hours I wasn't that impressed and thought the graphics were very poor. Then I found myself warming to it and at the time of writing I've played though it about 5 times. Story has always been Bioware's strong point (at least everything prior to Mass Effect 2) and this is no exception. Decent game, worth a play thoughThis is a game that takes a little while to get into. For the first few hours I wasn't that impressed and thought the graphics were very poor. Then I found myself warming to it and at the time of writing I've played though it about 5 times. Story has always been Bioware's strong point (at least everything prior to Mass Effect 2) and this is no exception. Decent game, worth a play though if you're an RPG fan. Expand
  75. Mar 24, 2011
    The story and world that Dragon Age is set in are truly spectacular and the sheer wealth of possibilities and gameplay this game provides are mind-blowing. My one criticism however would be the battle system. The character classes (Tank, Damage Dealer, Healer) are standard RPG, and like most RPG's this can become very repetitive, very quickly. The ability to customise your characters andThe story and world that Dragon Age is set in are truly spectacular and the sheer wealth of possibilities and gameplay this game provides are mind-blowing. My one criticism however would be the battle system. The character classes (Tank, Damage Dealer, Healer) are standard RPG, and like most RPG's this can become very repetitive, very quickly. The ability to customise your characters and add sub-classes and new abilities to them seems very trivial too. I became so bored of levelling up that most of this was done using the 'auto level up' feature I was happy Bioware had added. Overall, one of the best RPG's on the market. A massive world to explore and a compelling storyline are let down a little by the repetitiveness of the battles, but for a first attempt this was pretty special. An unpolished gem I hope they improve on for DA2 (which I'm about to start playing) Expand
  76. Mar 27, 2011
    This is a gaming experience that everyone should have. Don't get me wrong its not perfect but as far as storyline and depth of characters is concerned not much comes close. Bioware you can have my babies.
  77. Apr 28, 2011
  78. May 6, 2011
    Very good game with a really good story line, graphics are good as is the sound track. What really makes this game special is the characters. Allistiar and most memorable Morrigan are two of the best characters ive seen in any rpg game. Leveling system is rewarding. Not anything negative about this game, the reason it doesnt get a higher score is because it isn,t as good as games likeVery good game with a really good story line, graphics are good as is the sound track. What really makes this game special is the characters. Allistiar and most memorable Morrigan are two of the best characters ive seen in any rpg game. Leveling system is rewarding. Not anything negative about this game, the reason it doesnt get a higher score is because it isn,t as good as games like oblivion, mass effect and fallout. If you have never played this game it will be well worth it. Expand
  79. Dec 17, 2011
    Wow. Just wow. I completed the game a few moments ago. It has one of the best stories in a RPG I've played in a long time - decisions are hard, there are no GOOD MEH EVIL choices. For example (slight spoiler), a boy is possessed by a demon - do you kill him and the demon inside him, or sacrifice his mother to perform a ritual to cleanse her son? The ending of the game is pretty much aWow. Just wow. I completed the game a few moments ago. It has one of the best stories in a RPG I've played in a long time - decisions are hard, there are no GOOD MEH EVIL choices. For example (slight spoiler), a boy is possessed by a demon - do you kill him and the demon inside him, or sacrifice his mother to perform a ritual to cleanse her son? The ending of the game is pretty much a 'what happened after', and WOW. It hits hard. It summarises all of your decisions, you may regret your choices, but sometimes you see no alternative. I felt connections to each and every character, and I hated having to let one down to make another happy. Overall, I believe the overarching story to be 11/10!

I feel combat lets the game down - to me, it feels like PC number bar hotkey combat. Despite having 6 shortcut keys on the console, I felt like I spent a lot of time in the radial menu. This may be due to my playstyle, a healer with some combat prowess, but it wasn't all that enjoyable. Combat felt to be average - 5/10.

Quests felt quite repetitive too - go here, kill this, open door, more monsters spawn. But it worked. I mainly only did the main quest (don't hate) as I was fed up with combat but there were always choices and dialogue that gave variety. Quests - 7.5/10

Looking at other reviews:
    difficult to navigate interface - Indeed, but you begin to get used to it (after 20 hours! :P)
    difficulty level that jumps around - I personally played on easy, as I'm a story person. But there were parts where I had to save after each encounter, and other where I could eliminate a whole group with a single AoE (remember, I'm primarily a healer), so this is a valid point.
    BORING - erm, it does take a while to get into. I got this LAST Christmas (2010) and only just completed it. I played around 8 hours back then, but never got into it. But when you do, you are compelled.

Overall, the game was enjoyable for story purposes but combat let the game down. The thing is, the story and characters are still spinning around in my head, as well as 'what ifs' - I want to replay it! I rarely feel this way after completing a game. Despite its issues, I am tempted to buy it (again!) for PC, as I feel this will make combat a little smoother.
  80. Nov 9, 2011
    Great game for those looking for a lengthy RPG experience, the talent trees are robust and a allow for a great deal of replayability, and there is MUCH to do as far as side quests and party member quests to add to the play time to the game. My only gripe with the game would be the combat system and the general difficulty of the game, the game seems to spike in difficulty very often, andGreat game for those looking for a lengthy RPG experience, the talent trees are robust and a allow for a great deal of replayability, and there is MUCH to do as far as side quests and party member quests to add to the play time to the game. My only gripe with the game would be the combat system and the general difficulty of the game, the game seems to spike in difficulty very often, and the lock on combat system can be very annoying I didn't feel like it played as smooth as Knights of the Old Republic for some reason. Also there is no good side/bad side personality meter in the game, you can do good or bad/evil things but it only really effects your party members disposition towards you which can be reversed with gifts. In Conclusion, not the greatest bioware RPG, but the story is pretty cool and it delivers a great and challenging RPG experience. Expand
  81. Oct 15, 2012
    I've had to re-review this as, after a 3rd full play-through, it just gets better and better. Again, you can't hide a few flaws, but something I never mentioned in my old review is that how little those flaws actually affect the game or the experience itself. The weight behind some of the decisions, especially those towards the end of the game, just feels massive and it's phenomenal that aI've had to re-review this as, after a 3rd full play-through, it just gets better and better. Again, you can't hide a few flaws, but something I never mentioned in my old review is that how little those flaws actually affect the game or the experience itself. The weight behind some of the decisions, especially those towards the end of the game, just feels massive and it's phenomenal that a computer game can provoke such an emotional response. The tactical side of things is something which gets overlooked too - the way enemy ambushes operate and are setup is quite simply stunning - the amount of time they must have put into the game to make every battle feel so great must be staggering. An upgrade from a 9/10 to a 10/10 for me - a true classic. Expand
  82. Oct 14, 2011
    Fantastic game. Combat is not fast passed, which is usually a bad thing, but in DAO it does a good job of forcing the player to focus on strategy and team composition. The dialog is very well written and voice acting is effective. Hearing inflection and understanding sarcasm is sometimes required to make the correct dialog choice. Making the wrong choice can have serious repercussions,Fantastic game. Combat is not fast passed, which is usually a bad thing, but in DAO it does a good job of forcing the player to focus on strategy and team composition. The dialog is very well written and voice acting is effective. Hearing inflection and understanding sarcasm is sometimes required to make the correct dialog choice. Making the wrong choice can have serious repercussions, which for me deepened the rpg experience a lot. Expand
  83. Nov 3, 2011
    What an extremely epic game. Hours and hours of limitless gameplay that almost, at times, was too much for my schedule to handle! Epic story and fantastic character-relations with intense customization factors. Definitely one of my favorite Xbox 360 games.
  84. Nov 10, 2011
    If you could have the option, purchase this on PC. The xbox controls feel a little clunky and the graphics are leaps and bounds ahead on the PC. The story and character development of this game is rich and breathtaking. This was the game that put Bioware's name on the map for me, only to have it torn down by Dragon Age II. Do yourself a favour and buy the last good Dragon Age game BiowareIf you could have the option, purchase this on PC. The xbox controls feel a little clunky and the graphics are leaps and bounds ahead on the PC. The story and character development of this game is rich and breathtaking. This was the game that put Bioware's name on the map for me, only to have it torn down by Dragon Age II. Do yourself a favour and buy the last good Dragon Age game Bioware ever created. While the combat may feel more primitive, it is an EPIC adventure with great characters. RIP Dragon Age. Expand
  85. Nov 9, 2011
    I really loved what this game did with multiple class options and varied skill sets. I spent hours trying to perfect my play style for this game and I enjoyed every minute. Some sections got a little dull but that just made the action packed parts shine brighter. I also really liked the blood splatter all over the characters after a big fight.
  86. Jan 31, 2012
    I am sick and tired of reading negative reviews about this game when the reviews are all ignorant. Dragon Age is a shout out to the RPGs of yesterday. It is deep, complex, emotionally driven and, most importantly, very challenging and fun. People who claim the battle system is boring, or that this is KOTOR 7 years later with no improvements, really have no idea what they are talking about.I am sick and tired of reading negative reviews about this game when the reviews are all ignorant. Dragon Age is a shout out to the RPGs of yesterday. It is deep, complex, emotionally driven and, most importantly, very challenging and fun. People who claim the battle system is boring, or that this is KOTOR 7 years later with no improvements, really have no idea what they are talking about. I loved KOTOR, but this game is far, far more complex. Just take a look at the skill trees and you will agree. And you will be managing each one of those trees for each character. Battles are very D and Dish. It uses an auto attack style much like modern MMOs, with various skills available depending on which you choose, and each skill has a cooldown. This game is not for the faint of heart. Most battles require the utmost care in order to keep your party alive. You cannot just charge into battle and expect to win. I guess that for some of you, that's a bad thing. You shouldn't be playing video games if you are in that boat. Have some patience and try using your brain for once.

As I have come to expect from Bioware, the story is brilliant and as complex as the gameplay, and the effect your character has on the world can definitely be felt. This truly is an incredible game. My only gripe are a few bugs here and there, most being graphical. They are not game breaking by any means, however, so they only take this amazing, instant classic, to a 9 out of 10.
  87. Nov 13, 2011
    This is a very action-orientated fantasy role-playing game. There is a staggering breath of well-crafted back story to engross yourself in to while not leaving out to much in the dialogue. There is a question about how well crafted the communication system is in this game, while slightly underpar graphics, yet it is nothing to take away from a solid experience. There is so much to do inThis is a very action-orientated fantasy role-playing game. There is a staggering breath of well-crafted back story to engross yourself in to while not leaving out to much in the dialogue. There is a question about how well crafted the communication system is in this game, while slightly underpar graphics, yet it is nothing to take away from a solid experience. There is so much to do in this game (I have clocked up 130 hours over two completed saves), where major choices pin the outcomes that occur to your character to a reasonable degree. A wide selection of cast-offs aid you in your quests, although wrong moves have the chance of seeing the occasional rebellion, which forces the player to keep attention. Expand
  88. Mar 14, 2012
    I can safely say I have never replayed a single game as much as this one. This is a great game with one of the best, original stories I have seen since LOTR. While initially I was a little confused in terms of where I was and who was who, it eventually set in and didn't detract from the excellent script. The only thing I disliked was parts of the game play. While I understand it was aI can safely say I have never replayed a single game as much as this one. This is a great game with one of the best, original stories I have seen since LOTR. While initially I was a little confused in terms of where I was and who was who, it eventually set in and didn't detract from the excellent script. The only thing I disliked was parts of the game play. While I understand it was a traditional RPG, and followed the Baulder's Gate formula, it limited my party to a balancing act and I found without a healer I was constantly underpowered. It had a lot of bugs, and the Xbox 360 version was not as visually impressive as PC, but all in all it was definitely a great experience. Expand
  89. Mar 26, 2012
    one of the best RPG's i've ever played...that being said its a game only ment for rpg fans. i would not recommend this to anyone who is looking for a hack and slash kind of experience. skyrim may be better suited for that type of game play.
  90. Jul 9, 2012
    Dragon Age is simply one of the best RPGs there is. Fantastic storyline, awesome characters and gameplay. Lost many nights of sleep because of this game :)
  91. May 15, 2012
    WHY did i wait so long to finally play and beat this gem. I love the D&D western RPG and the characters really pulled me in. While i could see the argument this game was built for PC being valid, im much more of a console gamer and really enjoy having this experience on my Xbox. Can't wait to finish up all the DLC and then move on to Dragon Age II.
  92. Jun 8, 2012
    Another Fantastic Bioware game. The story is excellent. The combat is satisfying. This is one of my favorite games. However, the voice acting can be rather bad at times and the graphics are meh.Still, I would Highly recommend this game.
  93. Jul 16, 2012
    Dragon Age: Origins has a really interesting story and it has many interesting characters. The best thing about this game is how it allows you to interact with your party members and how your interactions with them make then like you or hate you. Also due to the fact that you can choose several different origins for your character it allows for the game to change in cool ways. Also theDragon Age: Origins has a really interesting story and it has many interesting characters. The best thing about this game is how it allows you to interact with your party members and how your interactions with them make then like you or hate you. Also due to the fact that you can choose several different origins for your character it allows for the game to change in cool ways. Also the decisions that you make in the game impact the entire story which is really cool as well. The only down side to the game is the battle system. It's ok but it really needs some work because except for special attacks the battles work very automatically. Expand
  94. Nov 13, 2012
    Dragon age origins was the best RPG game story I have played. I just loved how the characters over time kinda grow on you especially morrgian who was my favorite character. Just playing it was a blast. the gameplay/ combat was blast to play all the leveling up and customizing what your character can do and all that was fun and immersive each character had there own story's to tell andDragon age origins was the best RPG game story I have played. I just loved how the characters over time kinda grow on you especially morrgian who was my favorite character. Just playing it was a blast. the gameplay/ combat was blast to play all the leveling up and customizing what your character can do and all that was fun and immersive each character had there own story's to tell and Ioved just talking and getting to know each and every character. Also this game had one the best endings and with a good twist at the end which just blew my socks off haha. Some minor bugs here and there and some graphical glitches appear sometimes which didn't affect the game that much if at all cause its so good and long which left me feeling like I got my moneys worth. Expand
  95. Dec 11, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic game. Combat is perhaps a little slow and a bit clumsy, but it is not the action that is the star of the game but the adventure. The excellent narrative, wonderful voice acting and deep character development of your side characters just take you deep into the world's lore. This has got to be one of my favorite games of all time.
  96. May 9, 2014
    Despite the awful graphics, weird "open world" and a character on par with Jar Jar Binks, this RPG is still one of my favorites. Man, I STILL want to c*ckpunch Allister...
  97. Mar 15, 2013
    Dragon Age: Origins is a fantastic RPG by BioWare with some great characters, a deep and interesting world and a great story, It's a long game which will give you anywhere from 20-40 hours in a playthrough depending on your speed and how much side content you do, But if you buy the DLC or the Ultimate Edition that number increases drastically with tons of great extra content. The graphicsDragon Age: Origins is a fantastic RPG by BioWare with some great characters, a deep and interesting world and a great story, It's a long game which will give you anywhere from 20-40 hours in a playthrough depending on your speed and how much side content you do, But if you buy the DLC or the Ultimate Edition that number increases drastically with tons of great extra content. The graphics are one of the weaker points of the game on consoles but they don't detract from the game enough to be very noticeable apart from a few exceptions in some area's, the combat is quite slow paced with you controlling a party of 4 and switching between them, I think this game is much better then Dragon Age II and is a must for any RPG fan. Expand
  98. May 10, 2013
    I was never a fun of cold-weapon WRPGs, but I want to give this game try due to this is Bioware masterpiece. The game did not let me down. I cannot stop playing this for days. Some of the major mission blew my mind with its creative design. The combat sometimes is not so fluent since the hot-key is not enough and you have pause the game to choose your spells, but it is manageable. I thinkI was never a fun of cold-weapon WRPGs, but I want to give this game try due to this is Bioware masterpiece. The game did not let me down. I cannot stop playing this for days. Some of the major mission blew my mind with its creative design. The combat sometimes is not so fluent since the hot-key is not enough and you have pause the game to choose your spells, but it is manageable. I think the game is slow-paced compared to games I normally play, which is good for a change once in a while. Expand
  99. Jun 2, 2013
    If you like solid RPG's with decent gameplay you will enjoy this game. If you want pretty scenery go to an art gallery and call it a day. That said the graphics are fine if you aren't some nit picky brat that cares more about things being pretty than being good. Engaging storyline with a good amount of personal choice and atmosphere.
  100. Jul 29, 2013
    Ok to sum up dragon age origins in won word. Awesome! This is my second greatest RPG of all time right behind mass effect and one of the best games I've played of any genre. Pros: one of the best story's in a game ever, party members are interesting with some of the most memorable back story's, you will be a bit annoyedOk to sum up dragon age origins in won word. Awesome! This is my second greatest RPG of all time right behind mass effect and one of the best games I've played of any genre. Pros: one of the best story's in a game ever, party members are interesting with some of the most memorable back story's, you will be a bit annoyed by the auto attack combat but is really more strategic then about doing mass damage to enemy's, hours of content, deep customization for yourself and your team, interesting choices, great epilogue where your choices come together and either change the world in a good way, messed up and blew up and your face, or devastate the world Cons: it may be a bit too hard I played through on easy just so I would not end up taking a hammer to my Xbox, fade quest, an extremely annoying bug I got where I was unable to have any conversation with leliana and get her quest and backstory, morrigans spell near the end I won't spoil it but it makes no sense on how it works or why that's the choice since chances are if you played as a girl it may end up killing you So listen to me and play this awesome game you will never feel like you are not getting every penny of the purchase price Expand

It's a delight to give into a fantasy setting with such a dense back story, even if the gameplay still rarely breaks away from conventions established a decade ago.
  2. Despite its lack of innovation Dragon Age: Origins is the best RPG in 2009. Its great value and addictive gameplay are among its main highlights.
  3. Incredible storytelling, great characters, and exciting battles are just a few of the things that make this fantasy role-playing game so great.