5.9

1. Jan 18, 2014
    I hated this game the first time I rented it, instantly took it back in exchange for burst limit. A year on and after going back to watch from the vegeta saga for the first time in ten years, I gave it a gamble and hired this out, despite reading all the negative reviews on here, that even went as far to say that this game wasn't even worth hiring. How wrong they and I were...... This gameI hated this game the first time I rented it, instantly took it back in exchange for burst limit. A year on and after going back to watch from the vegeta saga for the first time in ten years, I gave it a gamble and hired this out, despite reading all the negative reviews on here, that even went as far to say that this game wasn't even worth hiring. How wrong they and I were...... This game is sheer joy, its just not a side scrolling mash em up like the previous games I have played and loved more than life itself. This is however, a dragon ball z game through and through, the updated soundtrack with over the top shredding remixes of classic songs is great, the animatiob is perfect despite the hilariously bad mouth animations which makes everybody look like they are chewing candle apple straps non stop. Bottom line is, if you are after a tekken or siul caliber clone, this iteration should be skipped, but if you are after a near perfect retelling of the classic series we all loved, then at least rent before you buy, have a session and pretend you are 10 again. It's about dragon balls..... how serious can you be over it...... Expand
  2. Oct 27, 2011
    Just what i always wanted for a dragon ball game. It may not be the best fighting game there is but sure is the best dragon ball game. Amazing graphics, brutal ultimate attacks, engaging combat with beautifully animated cutscenes and of course custom characters.
  3. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I figured I would just pull out my old copy of BT3 and play it since I haven't done so in a very long time. So I started playing it and I realize that the fighting sucks. This is just my opinion though so don't get so defensive. I just think UT is on a WHOLE other level of fun. UT is my fav game of this year too. Again this is just my opinion, and no matter how many points you try to make, none of it will convince me that BT3 is the better fighter. Expand
  4. Nov 14, 2011
    This game was great. It had the awesome new character creation feature! The animation is great and the remastered animation cutscenes were even better! The combat was upgraded which mad it even better. This game was all i could ever ask for.
  5. Nov 27, 2011
    this game is the best of dragon ball simple and perfect, may not be the best of fighting games but still a great game for fans of Dragon ball. exactly what a fan wants
  6. Nov 14, 2011
    I love this game. Took a little while to get used to the new fighting system, and yes, it does get a little bit repetitive, but the graphics and story mode are amazing. Hero mode seems incredible as well. This is one of my favorite DBZ games that I've ever played.
  7. Oct 27, 2011
    It is true to say that Dragon Ball Z : Ultimate Tenkaichi is not for the hardcore combat games fans.But if you're a true fan of the Dragon ball serie and you wish to take part in epic combats just like the anime , well this game is just for you!
  8. Nov 1, 2011
    This is a great game!! Guys, don't listen to all the naruto fanboys (dbz haters) because they know nothing about dbz ultimate tenkaichi. The controls are great and graphics are perfect.
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    i really enjoyed this game, i think it's alot better than battle of z. the story mode and the boss fights were awesome, they really captured the dbz fighting on here but the thing it lacks is the fighting they needed to give the player more control when fighting not do a two hit combo and immediately start hitting him without the players control, other than that i recommend this game
  10. Oct 1, 2013
    Like the game love the creation. If you spend an hour tops you learn how to play, I think honestly people just saw the fighting mechanic said "this is to hard" and quit. Soon after giving this game a bad review.
  11. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is decent at best but me being a huge dragon ball z fan I like it. The graphics are great and hero mode was awesome but the game play isn't that good. It gets kinda boring after awhile because it feels like you're doing the same thing every fight and the characters all feel the same. And I thought there was going to be more characters but there isn't that many.
  12. Feb 1, 2012
    After playing both Story, Hero Mode, and online. This game is almost like flipping a coin. If you press X and someone else presses X your opponent attacks you and vice versa with the Y button. If you press X and your opponent presses Y then you have the upper hand. Back and forth that's the fighting of this game. You can charge up and use your super attacks after beating up your opponent.After playing both Story, Hero Mode, and online. This game is almost like flipping a coin. If you press X and someone else presses X your opponent attacks you and vice versa with the Y button. If you press X and your opponent presses Y then you have the upper hand. Back and forth that's the fighting of this game. You can charge up and use your super attacks after beating up your opponent. The Story is entertaining but more battles and characters could have been used. Hero mode is unique and a first in a DBZ game. You start out weak but you can improve after each story battle. Beware though that giant boss battles take time to get used to. Online works, but finding people is a little hard. What do I think? I think this has one of the best graphics for a DBZ game, the combat is pretty weak. But it'll keep you on the edge of your seat. Expand
  13. Dec 12, 2011
    Not as good as i thought. I bought it the first day it had a 7.5 from game informer which is the score budokai 3 got so i thought it was going to be as good. I liked budokai 3 but not this game. It was a 75 out of 100 hundred on the first day. Decent graphics for dbz alright sound. Awful fighting!
  14. Dec 15, 2012
    The battles are annoying, when you are about to win and the characters have less than 15k HP, they use their specials and kill you, which is not a good idea because your character has less than 30k HP in the beginning of the hero mod. That's not the only problem, another problem is that this game doesn't have replay value.
  15. Oct 26, 2013
    This Game is I honestly Hate it this was the first Dragon Ball Z game I had ever played so at the time i thought it was good i went to my friends house a week after to play Raging blast 2 it was 10 times better then this you can hardly control your character in the game its all mid-Game cutscenes the only good thing about this game is the graphics/cutscenes and also heo mode is KINDA cool
  16. Mar 16, 2012
    I was extremely disappointed in this game. Besides the stunning visuals, the actual game play lacked in variety. Every character pretty much fights the exact same, minus the moves that are theirs. I guess I was hoping for more of a Budokai 3 style of fighting. I'll definitely start checking reviews more often, so I dont waste my money as I did with this game.
  17. Aug 1, 2013
    The sad truth is that this game had it all, but threw it all out the window with the repetitive rock, paper, scizors fighting style. The cinematics, dialogue(although lacking mouth movrment) and story is probably the best ever seen in a DBZ game. Unfortunately the combat ruins it all, and this IS afterall a fighting game.
  18. Oct 27, 2011
    The game is as bad as everyone says - in fact it is one of the worst games i have played in a long time. Combat is abysmal. Whilst RB wasn't outstanding, you could atleast move around freely, do combos and do a variety of special moves. In UT it is literally QTE QTE QTE... movement feels really restricted as there is just 2 'ranges' you can be in. The UI is confusing as hell and i found itThe game is as bad as everyone says - in fact it is one of the worst games i have played in a long time. Combat is abysmal. Whilst RB wasn't outstanding, you could atleast move around freely, do combos and do a variety of special moves. In UT it is literally QTE QTE QTE... movement feels really restricted as there is just 2 'ranges' you can be in. The UI is confusing as hell and i found it difficult to work out how to do a special. There is no satisfaction from playing you just mash buttons and hope you get the right flip of the coin in the 'rock paper scissors' type clashes you get with the opponent. I didn't make it far enough through the story to get to a big boss battle as the combat is so dire and repetitive I had to stop playing.

The story mode is poor. After doing the first mission of Bardock vs Frieza you are placed on Earth for the Raditz battle and can fly around the map (flying feels super slow btw, nothing like the TV series). Instead of going where Raditz was i went to the World Tournament that was also marked on the map as a point of interest. Suddenly i am placed in a tournament with the likes of Frieza, Cell and Android 18! So much for story lol.

People have praised the graphics but i think they are worse than those in RB2. The edges are really shoddy and most of the time you can't see whats going on anyway because of the stupid camera angles and QTE.

The character editor is very limited. The characters all look the same pretty much, you can change the skin colour to look a bit like a Kaioshin but other than that it's palette swapped Saiyans. I am not going to say Raging Blast 2 is an amazing game because it isn't. However I would recommend that over UT to any fan as UT is sadly complete tripe.
  19. Dec 29, 2011
    I signed up with Metacritic just now just so I could give this game a bad review. I was so stoked to buy this game for $60 just to be disappointed by it bigtime. I loved Budokai 3 and played it for probably 40 hours. And I loved Budokai Tenkaichi 2 & 3 and made sure to unlock all the characters etc. Those had great fighting mechanics. I feel like playing them again now to get theI signed up with Metacritic just now just so I could give this game a bad review. I was so stoked to buy this game for $60 just to be disappointed by it bigtime. I loved Budokai 3 and played it for probably 40 hours. And I loved Budokai Tenkaichi 2 & 3 and made sure to unlock all the characters etc. Those had great fighting mechanics. I feel like playing them again now to get the taste out of my mouth from UT.

This game shouldn't have been made like this. The close range is totally restricted - you can't do anywhere near the number of attack initiatives that you could in the other games I mentioned -- or in the long range stance, you still are restricted to some unsatisfactory moves. If you want to dash up and slam into your opponent's face, like in the other Tenkaichi games, you can't -- you have to dash up and initiate a coinflip minigame to see if you can get close range or not. This game has the worst fighting mechanics I've seen since playing some of those terrible random 2D PS1 DBZ games that should have never made it out to market.

I'll still get myself to play through the storymode because the battles are playable, but it's just so clunky and restrictive -- like firing a kamehameha is a rare and requires certain conditions instead of being able to just fire them off like you used to be able to - a really sour experience.
  20. Jul 22, 2013
    This game has beautiful graphics, and it really stands out among its predecessors with how awesome it looks. The character customization mode and Hero mode following it are great additions, and it shows that the creators of the Dragon Ball franchise listen to the fans to an extent. But that's where my praise ends. The gameplay is mind-numbingly repetitive, and obviously isn't based on aThis game has beautiful graphics, and it really stands out among its predecessors with how awesome it looks. The character customization mode and Hero mode following it are great additions, and it shows that the creators of the Dragon Ball franchise listen to the fans to an extent. But that's where my praise ends. The gameplay is mind-numbingly repetitive, and obviously isn't based on a players' skill level nearly as much as it is based on sheer luck. I often found myself thinking back to Budokai 3 and wishing they'd stuck with the same sized roster, among other game details that were either downgraded in this installment, or scrapped completely. The aforementioned character builder and Hero mode are also very limited, and center more around the Android Saga and Dragonball GT than any other point in the Dragonball universe's story. Also, if you were looking for a decent story mode then you'd be safer looking back to the old installments in the game series because this one has significant plot gaps and nonsensical use of techniques mid-match for the sake of the story. The battles are cramped, only allowing for two 'modes' of combat (and not allowing for use of ki blasts at will.) Players only have three special moves to choose from during battle, as opposed to the grandiose list of moves you would see in earlier games and that takes hardcore fans out of the experience. Transformations can be done at will without the use of the ki or spirit meters, but all that changes are the moves your character can use. The soundtrack is more or less what you'd expect, with mild guitar solos and upbeat synth but it too suffers from the same monotony of the rest of the game. This game is so horrendous that they even took one of the series' most famous scenes/lines and blatantly misquoted it, then passed it off as if it would go unnoticed in the eyes of die-hard fans such as myself (And yes, I'm talking about the "Over 9,000!" line.) Long story short, you'd be better off taking the money you'd spend on this and buying the games that came before it, as they're much more enjoyable overall. Expand
  21. Oct 28, 2011
    Yes, this is the worst dbz game ever. Gampleay sucks HUGE time. Boring. They have killed dbz. I dont get why people love this. seriously. Maybe for kids, ok.
  22. Apr 9, 2012
    Seriously, is this really a fighting game?! It is nothing more than a game of repetitive rock paper scissors. Trust me, after 1 hour of gameplay, you will realize that you are doing the same thing over and over again, albeit with different characters. But then again, there's not much difference between using different characters, since everything in this game is more or less fixed; whetherSeriously, is this really a fighting game?! It is nothing more than a game of repetitive rock paper scissors. Trust me, after 1 hour of gameplay, you will realize that you are doing the same thing over and over again, albeit with different characters. But then again, there's not much difference between using different characters, since everything in this game is more or less fixed; whether you are Saibamen or Gogeta, whether you are shooting Kamehameha or just a simple energy beam, the whole gameplay is circumscribed into a game of coin flipping, rock paper scissors style game of probability. Which in turn, makes the game incredibly stale, boring and repetitive. You press a few buttons, the game freezes, and takes you into preset cutscenes of combo attacks(all the same), conveniently taking out the manual button mashing style of combo attacks which was what fighting games are supposed to be about. Boss battles are more irritating than rewarding, some are so difficult that when you beat it you feel more relieved than satisfied and rewarded because you finally got through that horrible ordeal. Quick time events are poorly implemented(in normal battles as well as the boss battles), and feel like they are there just to restrict your every movement. You cannot even fire a Ki Blast at will, because of the introduction of the lackluster melee and range modes. The amount of freedom given to the player in this game is near to 0. Between the original Tenkaichi series and the RB series and this, I would say the fighting mechanics are given constant downgrades rather than upgrades. With this game, it is a HUGE and MAJOR downgrade. Plus its limited character(you can't even play as Goten) roster, coupled with this really horrible gameplay, this game isn't even worth $6, much less $60. You might think the character creation may be its saving grace, but it is so limited in customization that it might as well have none. The only thing commendable about this game is its graphics-which I have to admit is pretty decent. But then again, what is the use of pretty visuals when the gameplay is absolute crap. And story obviously does not save this game because the DBZ story is well... as we know of it. And the game does not even tell it in a refreshing way, or at least introduce interesting "what-if" scenarios, merely replacing it with its meager character creation. In overall, the game is a dismal DBZ game, one of the worst I've played(yes, I am a DBZ fan, all the more reason I cannot tolerate badly made DBZ games), which tries to cover up for its abundance of flaws with visual aesthetics. Conclusion: This game is NOT even worth a rent. Heck, 0/10 is already being lenient. It is so bad that even a long time fan of DBZ like me is so pissed at it that I sold it within 4 days. Buy/rent it at your own risk, and I have to warn you that it is very likely you would find much more joy in playing Raging Blast or its sequel than this game. An utter disgrace to the Tenkaichi series(not even worthy of having Tenkaichi in its name, it shares absolutely NO gameplay mechanics with the BT series), and a definite waste of your time and hard-earned cash should you buy it. My advice- save that $60, this thing should be the last thing on your list that you should spend it on. Expand
  23. Jul 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. dragon ball z budokai tenkaichi 3 is a million times better .......................................................................................................................................... Expand
  24. Jul 3, 2012
    This is the worst game I've played in my life. I hope that none of you dragon ball fans make the same mistake I did. I would rather buy the dragon ball manga.

1. Jan 26, 2012
    Ultimate Tenkaichi may be the best looking DBZ game to hit our shores, it doesn't have the gameplay to back it up.
    Comes closer to perfecting the style of the Dragon Ball Z universe than any previous game, but the combat system is too simplistic to offer any real depth, and so we can only recommend Ultimate Tenkaichi to the most hardcore fans of the franchise.
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    The story in the new Dragon Ball game is chopped up and very chaotic so you will get lost if you don't know the TV series very well. Fights get boring after a while and the load times are annoying. It was fun to play but as a fan of the original anime I was lenient to some degree. [February 2012, p.58]