Dragon's Dogma Xbox 360

7.8

1. Jun 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the game looks awesome and the replay value is actually pretty high, it has a few glaring issues that cannot be overlooked. The biggest issue is the massive plot-holes in the romantic themes. The romance, while not a desired aspect of the game experience, is jagged and illogical and it is very much forced into the plot. Spoilers follow so stop reading if you don't want to know; however, these spoilers are not in regard to how the game ends. The primary romance that is just wrong, and since I only made it that far as a male character, presumably it only happens if you are male, is when you fall in love with the duchess. It is such an unexpected development and once pursued it is either accomplished or failed. The problem is that what happens after the "affair" makes no sense at all and indicates a flaw in the storytelling. You get busted by the Duke and imprisoned and tortured but when you break out of jail you resume your quests for the duke as if nothing happened. It is so bizarre and really makes the love angle irrelevant and forced. Add to that two other characters that complicate the romance department and an unexpected heavy-handed climax, it is easy to see how the story itself is rather convoluted and messy. The silly romance angle aside, the game is pretty spectacular. The combat is pretty cool and the "share" system with the pawns, as well as the customization of your primary pawn, is pretty cool. Also the game play after the final act and credits is very much affected by the outcome of the final act which is pretty awesome. I made a choice and I get to play through the consequences of that choice and all I have to say to that is WOW. It really does seem to become a whole new game experience after the credits role. So, silly love stories aside, it's pretty solid. I know a 7 may be kind of low for a game that is otherwise pretty awesome but the flaws leave a pretty sour taste behind and chances are others feel the same way. I won't spoil it... you'd have to play all the way to the credits to understand what I mean. Expand
  2. Jun 28, 2012
    An intriguing addition to the Action RPG genre that's wonderfully innovative in some areas but very weak in others. GOOD: Fantastic combat system that's genuinely very exciting with a wonderful sense of physicality reminiscent of Dark Souls; The Pawn System for sharing and hiring party members is a genuinely exciting new method to play games of this genre and has a surprising amount ofAn intriguing addition to the Action RPG genre that's wonderfully innovative in some areas but very weak in others. GOOD: Fantastic combat system that's genuinely very exciting with a wonderful sense of physicality reminiscent of Dark Souls; The Pawn System for sharing and hiring party members is a genuinely exciting new method to play games of this genre and has a surprising amount of depth to it; Great amount of freedom where you can pretty much grab onto anything in the game world, whether that be a rock face, a towering cyclops or a poor unfortunate rabbit that you decided to throw off a cliff; Character and monster animations are superb and some of the best seen in this genre; Each class in the vocation system feels genuinely unique and the the class you choose massively effects the way you handle each battle; Some of the bigger enemies you battle are simply awesome, requiring various techniques to take them down; The use of lighting in the game is superb and adds an element of suspense to night time battles; Post-game asynchronous co-op is a really interesting new way to play games of this genre. BAD: Terrible story told through tedious nonsensical cutscenes involving ludicrous characters; Romance system is lazily implemented and just doesn't make any sense; Game world is actually very small and lacks variety; Graphics on most NPCs are horrible; Screen tear and FPS drops can sometimes distract from the beauty and excitement of battles; With no difficulty settings or an increase in difficulty with each subsequent NG+, the game becomes quite unchallenging after around level 40 which completely undermines the excitement of felling larger foes; Hired pawns have a tendency of repeating the exact same piece of dialogue constantly and especially during battle where they will happily tell you hundreds of times that everything is weak to fire; There is actually very little enemy variety when travelling in the wilderness and random battle events do not happen frequent enough; Item combining and weapon smithing is a bit weak and unexciting; Main quest line is extremely short and the way that non-noticeboard side-quests appear is odd and lacks consistency. OVERALL: I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Dragon's Dogma. The battle system is genuinely very exciting and the Pawn System is a great new way to shake up the stale party mechanics of other RPGs. However, there's no denying that Dragon's Dogma has some way to go before it can fully live up to its potential. Dragon's Dogma 2 has already been announced which is great news, as now the foundations of the combat and pawn system have been laid down, Capcom can focus on making everything else shine just as much. Expand
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    Great concepts, fun combat, but feels limited and unfinished. Seems like so much work was put into character/pawn system, and the dynamic combat and creature models, that the story was left unfinished and partially done. Still played through it. Crafting systems is cumbersome and limited, ends up being annoying. I found it difficult to do anything with pawn skills and magic selectionsGreat concepts, fun combat, but feels limited and unfinished. Seems like so much work was put into character/pawn system, and the dynamic combat and creature models, that the story was left unfinished and partially done. Still played through it. Crafting systems is cumbersome and limited, ends up being annoying. I found it difficult to do anything with pawn skills and magic selections beyond finding a good combo to "set and forget".

If there is a successor, I'm sure Capcom will build on the concepts attempted here with good success, but this feels like Beta for such an effort.

There were some truly Epic moments, I must say, however.

The graphics are also beautiful. I had some fantastic moments out in the wild, and the screencap/sharing system is cool as well.

Agree with the current rating overall (currently 7.7)... could have been so much better.
  4. Jun 19, 2012
    Seriously guys, graphics are so unbalanced. Our main characters clothes and hair are like created player in PES 2012, and grounds, walls, rocks are really so simple. Dragons and other creations are really well created, good graphics.
  5. Mar 26, 2013
    With the lack of a strong story, no fast travel, and lack of direction still lies a fairly good RPG. The pawn system is great as it's always interesting to see what others have made and it just adds to the customisation options that is present. Dogma also has one of the best combat systems I've seen in an RPG. Fighting enemies doesn't feel floaty and the ability to scale dragons is also anWith the lack of a strong story, no fast travel, and lack of direction still lies a fairly good RPG. The pawn system is great as it's always interesting to see what others have made and it just adds to the customisation options that is present. Dogma also has one of the best combat systems I've seen in an RPG. Fighting enemies doesn't feel floaty and the ability to scale dragons is also an added touch. The content in Dogma rivals many other RPG's on the market but through the 80-90 hr experience is constant walking to locations and situations which involve dying and restarting from a checkpoint say an hour or so back. Even with it'd problems, I would still recommend it if you are even the slightest fan of action RPG's. Expand
  6. Oct 16, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma has many interesting elements within the Action RPG genre. A combat system that works very well overall thanks to the many tools that owns and pawns original system (management, recruitment, study, change) that gives a lot of depth which is the battle itself. Beyond this is the vast world created remarkable, full of missions, secrets and many, many enemies will kill us againDragon's Dogma has many interesting elements within the Action RPG genre. A combat system that works very well overall thanks to the many tools that owns and pawns original system (management, recruitment, study, change) that gives a lot of depth which is the battle itself. Beyond this is the vast world created remarkable, full of missions, secrets and many, many enemies will kill us again and again. But nevertheless fails to live up to other greats of the genre. Expand
  7. May 23, 2012
    This is a great looking game with one huge glaring flaw, your AI team-mates! If only Dragon Age could have looked this good!
    Everything about this game is your typical quest, so I won't bore you with what works, and will only highlight what will make your crack your teeth and pull out your hair, your AI team-mates!
    The AI team-mates are absolutely horrible. 1. They run ahead yelling for
    The AI team-mates are absolutely horrible.
    1. They run ahead yelling for you to follow constantly! Capcom hid items all around a level, behind walls, down cliffs, so they knew people would take time looking for items, yet your AI team-mates just won't shut up, telling you to come this way. I would use the help button to bring them back only to have them come, turn around and run ahead, shouting.
    2. One area the AI team-mates instruct you to be quiet, all the while they are yelling "GOBLINS"
    3. They don't wait at all! They will rush ahead killing everything before you even get a chance to see the enemy, affecting how you level up.
    4. They will pick up items without telling you they got an item. The screen is so busy, good luck knowing what the AI picked up for you, without pausing the game.
    5. Collision detection is HORRIBLE! Your AI will run through you, themselves, boulders, and enemies. I stood in the middle of a Belly of a Boss, while it spun around trying to figure out where I was, and all I had to do was stand in the middle of the Boss and Hack and Slash till it fell!
    6. Sometimes when you do want to go exploring, your AI will jump around like a Mexican Hopping Beans. I walked down a cliff to look for treasure, and here came those irritating AI Pawns! Oh how I wanted them to just jump off the cliff and die!
    7. Did I mention your AI team-mates are HORRIBLE! If there was only someway to play through the game by yourself or a "STAY" command like there was in Dragon Age.

Sadly the AI Pawns, ie..Team Mates, take a gorgeous fun to play game, and turn it into back seat drivers constantly saying "Are we there yet..Are we there yet..Are we there yet..Are we there yet??"
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    If Skyrim and Dark Souls had a bratty child it would be Dragon's Dogma and just like that child sometimes it's fun to play with but ultimately it could benefit from some better parenting. This game has many promising elements, none of which are implemented well. The combat is fun and the various classes each have many unique unlockable moves encouraging experimentation. Outside of thisIf Skyrim and Dark Souls had a bratty child it would be Dragon's Dogma and just like that child sometimes it's fun to play with but ultimately it could benefit from some better parenting. This game has many promising elements, none of which are implemented well. The combat is fun and the various classes each have many unique unlockable moves encouraging experimentation. Outside of this though the game falls flat in every area. I have honestly spent half of my time playing running from one end of the map to the other as the game has no real fast travel system (outside of special single use items that only connect to one location.) This is just one of the cheap shortcuts the developers used to artificially inflate this flat game. Check your bargain bin for this mildly interesting RPG but save your big bucks for better games. Expand
  9. Jun 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dragon's Dogma is a bold, new, and adventurous game that exceeds expectations but then dashes set expectations due to its many, many shortcomings and flaws. It's like a middle child that tries to get attention from its parents but succeeds in mostly ticking them off instead of being praised by them. From the rocking but rather unexpected J-Rock opening theme song to the most ridiculous ending that I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing in my life as a gamer, Dragon's Dogma is filled with surprises both good and bad. Unfortunately, this game is only for people who are willing to stick on their blinders and are willing to endure (as many people will say, but they really mean blatantly ignore every flaw as if they don't exist) the overflowing problems. The character creation is the most extensive selection I have seen that may rival such games as Skyrim. However, despite how extensive it was, I felt that they were pretty boring. That doesn't mean it Expand
  10. May 23, 2012
    Its really quite good in the end, but there is no real excuse for not having a PC edition. I simply cant play games that require quick thinking or aiming on a controller; that is what a mouse is for.
  11. Jul 5, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is a great beginning for a new franchise, while still having a few flaws this game is a lot of fun. This action rpg is about going on adventures, collecting equipment and materials, slaying monsters and dragons, and finding out what it is to be an arisen. Story: The story tries to bring you in but soon kind of fades into the back ground due it not coming back in until aboutDragon's Dogma is a great beginning for a new franchise, while still having a few flaws this game is a lot of fun. This action rpg is about going on adventures, collecting equipment and materials, slaying monsters and dragons, and finding out what it is to be an arisen. Story: The story tries to bring you in but soon kind of fades into the back ground due it not coming back in until about 10 hours into the game and doesn't really climax until the end (there are some stand out missions on the way to the end though). It should be said there is a NG+ mode that works with the story and also the game does not end where you expect it to, the game continues on into the real story after the credits. The real story after the main credits is also a pretty big shock and done well. Gameplay: This is where the game will either draw you in and keep you playing for hours on hours or make you want to not pick the game up at all. The Combat is a button-masher/hack and slash that has good animations and a feel of impact when you hit your enemy, such as when fighting a armored cyclops when you hit its armor pieces you feel the impact of not piercing the armor or when you hit its eye you know your doing damage. Speaking of cyclops, this game has the best big boss enemy fights I've ever seen in a game. The fights with the big boss monsters are a bit far and few in between but when you seen one your in for a fun fight. Fighting each boss monster has its own strategy for taking them down such as hitting the cyclops in the eye by climbing up there or fighting a griffon by shooting it with fire to bring it down to the ground for your pawns to wail on it there. Pawns are also a vital part of the game, which they are the arisen's servants that help you fight. You make your on pawn, customizing it as much as your main character, and also hire 2 other pawns which can be other players pawns. The pawns are a bit strange since they have a system in place to make them learn organically, such as knowing what to do for a quest or how to kill a monster, but the system is a bit simplistic so they tend to repeat themselves a Lot.
    Exploring the world is very fun since the world does not scale to you, so you can easily run into enemies that are much more powerful than you. This is even more so at night because more stronger enemies come out at night and it is pitch black at night so bring a lantern. While exploring is fun, it can get old due to the lack of fast travel and repeatingly going to the same places over and over again. There is a fast travel system but it is limited and cost some coin to do so and really isnt used to its full extent until NG+, so keep in mind you will be doing a lot of walking on your adventures. Leveling takes a few notes from jrpgs since the game uses a job system instead of a class system, meaning you can swap at any time. The jobs are your standard classes you would expect in a western rpg with in addition to the base 3 there are 3 advance classes and 3 hybrid classes, with hybrids being the most unique and only being available to the arisen. The classes also have their own equipment they can equip so as warriors being the only ones that can equip 2-handed swords, so there is a lot of equipment in the game which makes the customization pretty high. On top of the equipment and jobs for customization options, this game has the best character customization in any game yet, want to play as a short fat guy or a tall skinny woman or anything in between? this game lets you do it. Sound: The music is pretty good including the cheesy j-pop song on the menu. Sounds from combat have weight and give a good sense of impact. Pawns talking on the other hand will either be charming and funny or just annoying. Mics:
    It should be noted you only get one save file per saving device, this is done because of the pawns system. I would recommend installing the game to the hdd to help improve the graphics since there is some screen tearing and a Lot of pop-ins. There is also On-disc dlc available, while I think it is a BS business tactic, the dlc is not in anyway needed, in fact its almost all worthless.

So in conclusion, Dragon's Dogma is a fantastic game with a few flaws that keep it from standing head and shoulders above the other games. Its lack of a proper fast travel keeps the pace of this game slow but still having the feeling of adventure that will either draw players in or keep them out, which is a bit sad since i think they could have easily made the fast travel system more accessible by doing what they did in NG+ from the start. This game is great to easily jump into when you have time to play but it demands your time to see it through to the end..

1. Aug 3, 2012
    A unique hybrid between japanese and western rpg's featuring extensive customisation options, fun fights and indirect but rewarding ways to help (and be helped by) other players.
    Although I did know what kind of game Dragon's Dogma was when I picked it up, I was hoping that it would be different, have something I found compelling, something I could get addicted to and want to spend my time with. But for me, this kind of 'old school' gaming found in Dragon's Dogma is simply tedious and rarely enjoyable.
  3. Hyper Magazine