7.6

1. May 18, 2011
    One of the best budget titles you're likely to find. This, together with its predecessor (Ps2) are some of the most fun co-op third-person shooting action you'll experience anywhere.

Do not be fooled by the game's [seemingly] low production values; it has it where it counts -- massive, ten story high monsters, screen so packed with enemies the 360 chungs, scores of weapons to mix and
    match, lol-worthy dialogue and set pieces, almost limitless replay value due to the the 'farming' mechanic the game engenders and the ridiculous difficulty the game can be set to... This game arguably yields more bang for your buck than any other game relative to price out there.

Unless you're outright not into third-person shooters or Japanese style Godzilla battles / Mars Attacks type alien invasion themes or immeasurably fun couch co-op play (*split screen only; no online mutiplayer), then EDF for the 360 is a must have.

E.D.F. 2017 is one of the few games of this generation that will be worth coming back for in years to come... and that's saying something given how throw-away most of the titles are in this era of 'junk food gaming'.

(NB: The game would get a perfect score from me other than the fact the 'Pale Wing' class from the Ps2 predecessor was strangely omitted for this iteration. So 9 it is).
  2. Mar 23, 2012
    Ok, ok, ok, Earth Force Defense can be repetitive, but is funny and entertaining, is an amazing game, with the sequel (Insect Armageddon) can be better. But this game is good.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Huge monsters and aliens, destructible levels tons of variant of weapons to unlock. Also the poor graphics and repetitive simple game play does not detract from the fact this is still however tons of fun with a massive 60+ levels to beat, SP or CO-OP
  4. Aug 23, 2013
    An early 360 game, it looks more like a dreamcast game and some of the control choices make me wonder if it was originally intended for that platform. The voice acting is catastrophically bad and the story makes little sense. The controls are a baffling when it comes to the vehicles and the weapons and unlocks are just on this side of random.

And the amount of belief you need to
    suspend? Let's just say that there are points where your single guy in body armor is being hit by a hail of shots from a dozen 50 foot robots with plasma cannons while you are shooting at them with a shotgun.

The maps are bland and reused repeatedly, the creatures and enemies have an AI that belongs in Galaga...

....And the game is entirely more fun than it deserves to be. There is a reason why this game can be found used for $60 in some areas. It is seriously fun, in every way. Some of the best moments are having to sprint backwards while you are throwing nuclear hand grenades that will kill you if you weren't sprinting backwards.
  5. Mar 24, 2011
    this game is one of thoose kind of games thats not very great in graphics , controls , or any depth what so ever but it is actaully really fun. i dont know what it is but there is just some thing really fun about running through a fully destructable city and blowing the living hell out of a bunch of bugs . with enough explosions and flashing on the screen if you even have a hint of epelepsy you are gauranteed to have about 100 seizuresbefore this game is over . there are alot of guns some where around 200+ i believe . you can also play it on co op but only split screen would have been really nice if it was online co op. its simple but its fun . Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2011
    I picked this up for 15 bucks on the premise that it had co-op, and the wife and I couldn't put it down. Two years later we still have EDF night once a month, and we are chomping at the bit to get our hands on EDF IA.

If you want cheesy retro arcade fun in split screen, get this. You won't regret it. Add Alcohol (if you are of legal age) to increase comical value.
  7. Nov 21, 2011
    Cheese meets death meets explosions meets aliens meets big ants meets ka-pow-boom-whack - what is there not to like? Bad points? Not the most polished game by any means, crap vehicles, it may be too cheesy for some, a tad samey and nowhere near as much replay value as some games - Good points? If you like blowing **** up you'll have lots of fun. The sheer swarms of enemies to destroy is massive, pretty much everything else in the game can be blown up as well (Telecom tower style building? No probs for your bazooka). The enemies themselves are really groovy, the variety in weapons is also impressive, and the cheesy theme that runs throughout the game suits it to a tea (screams of "EDF!" and "Yeah!" make you feel like a true military meat head). As said it won't last forever, and those who prefer their games more boring but less rough around the edges may dislike it, but anyone with a full set of working bollocks and a desire to blow things up in style should look no further than this as itâ Expand
  8. Dec 27, 2012
    This is not beautiful-looking, this is not clever, but it's one of the most action-packed stuff I've ever played. If you like old invasion movies, you'll love this game. Plus, there's some good deal of challenge if you want to collect all weapons and upgrade your character's lifebar... Put your brain aside and fight it out !!! Great game.
  9. Aug 4, 2013
    I'll admit, I wasn't expecting much from this game. But after playing it, it's mindless, but in a good way. Shooting dozens of giant ants, spiders, robots, etc. with all manner of machineguns and rocket launchers has been pretty fun, with added replayability in the form of unlockable weapons and health upgrades. Of course, the budget-look shows in repetitive environments and character models and bland visuals. Vehicles aren't much useful either, not providing much in protection or firepower. You might as well fight on foot. At the end of the day, it's just mindless shooting fun... and that alone is good enough for me. Expand
  10. Jul 2, 2013
    I did not care for this game at all. It's graphics and gameplay reminded me of some crappy Sega Genesis era game. Some people say that's the point. But for me, if I wanted to play a crappy game with bad graphics, all I would have to do is play the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo. Co-op is where this game shines, that is if you can shine a turd. Playing by yourself isn't that fun and there is no online multiplayer. I would say this game may be good for a 1 day rent but save your money and buy something else. Expand
  11. Jul 24, 2012
    One of the worse games I've ever played. I downloaded this on XBL because I'd heard favourable things about it but I must be missing something because the graphics are awful, the gameplay is dull & repetitive, and there's not really any story to speak of. Pros - It's pretty cheap to buy at this stage Cons - Bad graphics - Bad controls (bad gameplay mechanics in general really) - No story
    - Very repetitive
  12. WyattG.
    Oct 17, 2007
    Only a small number of retailers carried this game in Australia, but I thought it looked fun and the co-op play appealed as I have 2 sons and it is a lot more fun playing with someone else. I have played the game through in full and on the whole I enjoed it. The best part of the game is the huge range of weapons you have to choose from (and there must be hundreds of them, although you will end up only using a fraction to get through the missions) and the huge number of bugs and robots you get to eliminate. Also the ability to blow up complete buildings with 1 rocket never gets boring ! There are 53 missions in total, some are short (less than a minute) whilst other will take longer. The missions are fairly varied in their locations although the aim is the same...blow the crap out of anything that moves (including your team mates if you want to !). There are 5 difficulty settings, with the harder ones being really challenging. The only reason to play the game more than once is to unlock new weapons that are available only on the harder levels and new achievements. Having said this, the pick-up and play factor of this game is fun and if you have some friends around it is a good game to play in co-op and swap the controllers around after each mission. The graphics are last-gen and the voice acting is so woeful that you will laugh. Apart from the story you can also play 1 on 1 multiplayer which is good for a bit, but you can't help but wonder why their is no online multiplayer as the game appears to be tailormade for it, and without it the lasting appeal of this game is not what it could have been. Collapse

It's a unique, well-realized action game that's like nothing else on the 360. If "EDF2" didn't exist, we'd like it even more.
  2. A corny, geeky dream come true that's destined to be an underground classic.
    It doesn't hold a candle to some of the more technically savvy games on Xbox 360 and that may be more than ample reason to give this one a pass depending upon your tastes. For good mindless shooting, this game delivers.