7.8

1. Oct 12, 2010
    Ninja Theory's Enslaved is based on the Chinese legend "Journey to the West". The main character is even called Monkey and he has to lead a frail girl named Trip to the West to get her back home. Enslaved is a mediocre, re-hash action platformer along the same vein as Uncharted. Monkey climbs over the ruins of our modern civilization with a similar style as Nathan Drake as well. HeNinja Theory's Enslaved is based on the Chinese legend "Journey to the West". The main character is even called Monkey and he has to lead a frail girl named Trip to the West to get her back home. Enslaved is a mediocre, re-hash action platformer along the same vein as Uncharted. Monkey climbs over the ruins of our modern civilization with a similar style as Nathan Drake as well. He looks like he's struggling to climb these ruins, but it's actually impossible to miss the next handhold or to just jump out into space. The platforming in Enslaved literally takes no skill even though the animations are painstakingly crafted to make Monkey look like an average guy, straining against gravity.

Monkey is anything but average though, and trying to portray him as such just cheapens the game and the story. When he rides an escape pod to the ground at terminal velocity and survives with only a minor concussion, how normal is that?

Anyway, the combat in the game is very much like God of War, though it has less depth and you can just spam one combo to win even on the harder difficulties. The game environments do look pretty, though there are frame rate issues, which aren't terrible when you get used to them. However, the game is filled with bugs. Characters disappear completely during important cut scenes, Trip gets stuck on the terrain often, checkpoints that require you to pass them for the game to progress don't register all of the time when you do pass them, and the entire game has locked up completely on me occasionally during really hectic, screen-filling fights. Other reviews say these bugs are rare, but they occurred often enough to completely frustrate me and often enough to kill my motivation to play at times.

Enslaved is also pretty short. I finished the hard campaign in just about ten hours. The story can be compelling and the ending was very good, but games can't thrive on story alone without good game play that makes the experience truly engaging and fun.
  2. Nov 26, 2010
    Enslaved is honestly a really fun game and I want to recommend it. However, I will not for one simple reason: You can get killed during cutscenes. This is by far the worst design decision I have ever seen and it should be patched immediately. You'll be playing along killing your enemies then a cutscene occurs and the enemies keep hitting you and no button you press can stop them. I'veEnslaved is honestly a really fun game and I want to recommend it. However, I will not for one simple reason: You can get killed during cutscenes. This is by far the worst design decision I have ever seen and it should be patched immediately. You'll be playing along killing your enemies then a cutscene occurs and the enemies keep hitting you and no button you press can stop them. I've tried and it's the most lame thing I've ever seen. On multiple occasions i've had one enemy pinned to a wall, near death when another attacks Trip. The game shows a cutscene with her EMPing the enemy and when the cutscene ends the enemy I was fighting is now pushing me into a guard rail and somehow I lost 3/4 of my life and can't block because he's in the middle of an unblockable combo. It sucks and I don't even want to play anymore. Which is sad because otherwise it's a really fun game. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2011
    An innovative game does not use jump puzzles. An innovative game does NOT use jump puzzles or jump "puzzles". Enslaved may have never claimed to be innovative, but it does consist almost solely of jump paths (a puzzle has options), annoying cut scenes, mediocre combat, and superb voice acting and graphics. This, like uncharted, is another rail shooter equivalent of an adventure game,An innovative game does not use jump puzzles. An innovative game does NOT use jump puzzles or jump "puzzles". Enslaved may have never claimed to be innovative, but it does consist almost solely of jump paths (a puzzle has options), annoying cut scenes, mediocre combat, and superb voice acting and graphics. This, like uncharted, is another rail shooter equivalent of an adventure game, but Uncharted is better (and it still sucks). This is what happens when you have a movie sized budget and orders to crank out another game. Pass the cookie cutter we're ready for game development. Expand
  4. Feb 9, 2011
    Simply not worth it. it feels and looks too much like jak for those who remember. its also crappier than that game. i was hoping however that the story was going to be good but that turned out predictable and a waste of time.
  5. Dec 8, 2010
    What the....is this? An interactive cartoon? An introduction for very young kids into adventure games - but unfortunately rated? Or a very long trailer to an upcoming TV series? Challenges? Na. Interesting visuals? Please. Overpriced and overrated? For sure. I assume Uncharted fans laugh hard when seeing this attempt to catch up.
  6. Aug 5, 2016
    Enslaved is one of the most overrated pieces of sh*t that I have ever played.

The graphics are nice,the only good thing about the game. The gameplay is awful,with a terrible camera and unresponsive controls,which are pretty f'ing important in a platformer.the combat is poor aswell. Enslaved is the worst game I have ever played on the Xbox 360.I would not recommend this to
    Enslaved is one of the most overrated pieces of sh*t that I have ever played.

The graphics are nice,the only good thing about the game.

Enslaved is the worst game I have ever played on the Xbox 360.I would not recommend this to someone,unless I hated them with a passion

STAY WELL CLEAR FROM THIS ABOMINATION.
  7. Mar 30, 2017
    ça ressemble beaucoup à Uncharted dans le genre combat, on avance dans le couloir, infiltration optionnelle (en carton), re-combat, cinématique, on continue d'avancer dans le putain de couloir etc. Sauf que le maniement est loin d'égaler Uncharted et la caméra fait n'importe quoi, rendant les combats déjà peu gratifiants complètement sans intérêt. L'histoire (quelle histoire au juste ?)ça ressemble beaucoup à Uncharted dans le genre combat, on avance dans le couloir, infiltration optionnelle (en carton), re-combat, cinématique, on continue d'avancer dans le putain de couloir etc. Sauf que le maniement est loin d'égaler Uncharted et la caméra fait n'importe quoi, rendant les combats déjà peu gratifiants complètement sans intérêt. L'histoire (quelle histoire au juste ?) est peu engageante et les deux personnages sont idiots.

Dommage, car le monde post-apocalyptique bien que monotone demeure sympathique et la VF est excellente. La synchro est activée, le jeu n'est pas vilain mais accuse une fluidité peu ragoûtante, laissant une impression de micro-saccades permanentes. Pour un moteur Unreal sous 360, c'est clairement décevant. En conclusion, Enslaved est un échec.

1. Jan 21, 2011
    The gameplay may not be completely new, then, but this kind of chemistry certainly is. There's no denying it - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is the best escort 'game' ever made; a spritely little cracker with a lot of heart.
  2. games(TM)
    Jan 20, 2011
    Enslaved's satisfying blend of narrative and gameplay is bang on the money. [Issue#102, p.111]
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    Enslaved is scoring with its motivating story, the good graphics and the enjoyable, but not challenging climbing passages. Sadly, the fights are unvaried and there is no multiplayer.