7.8

1. Jul 20, 2011
    Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 9
    Story/characters: 10 (after thinking :P ) Music: 9 Overall: 9.5 VISUALS/WORLD: Not since Beyond Good and Evil have I been simply flabbergasted at the quality of the world I found myself in. The vistas are comparable in awe inspiring quality to Red Dead Redemption. I've read a significant deal about pop up in this game, but for me, I didn't notice it once.
    Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 9
    Story/characters: 10 (after thinking :P )
    Music: 9
    Overall: 9.5 VISUALS/WORLD: Not since Beyond Good and Evil have I been simply flabbergasted at the quality of the world I found myself in. The vistas are comparable in awe inspiring quality to Red Dead Redemption. I've read a significant deal about pop up in this game, but for me, I didn't notice it once. GAMEPLAY: is my only gripe and what keeps this from a 10. Whilst the fighting is fun, the combos are extremely limited with respect to the animations. Also, when fighting multiple enemies you have to know where they are so that the spastic camera doesn't hide them. This isn't so much of a problem once you get past the first few hours. The climbing mechanic is fluid and the un-lockables for fighting and movement later on are simply awesome. STORY/CHARACTERS: Is to an acquired taste. For me the monkey/trip relationship was executed brilliantly as was the ending... though please, please, don't dismiss it at face value like so many on the forums I've read... and that's all i'm saying without spoiling anything :P The voice acting is sublime. Nothing more needs to be said about this really. The set piece action is also something that has the be experienced as it doesn't overcompensate ala Call of Duty but finds the sweet spot between repetition and pure unadulterated fun.
    MUSIC: Perfectly orchestrated. Fits the mood of a post apocalyptic world, but playful at the same time.
    Overall: Small, and may I emphasise: *small* gameplay gripes are what hamper this otherwise masterful example of game design. I don't give it a 10 because a 10 is reserved for games I believe don't break the immersion and are, for lack of a better word, perfect. This game, if metacritic allowed for it, would easily be a 9.5.
  2. May 18, 2011
    This game is not only art, but a masterpiece. It's the culmination of 3 decades of video games. It has just enough dialogue and cutscenes to play as a movie, but just enough gameplay to also be a game. I love it. People who say you can die during cutscenes... don't listen to them, you get to choose when you hear dialogue. You should kill all the enemies before you do that. The ending ofThis game is not only art, but a masterpiece. It's the culmination of 3 decades of video games. It has just enough dialogue and cutscenes to play as a movie, but just enough gameplay to also be a game. I love it. People who say you can die during cutscenes... don't listen to them, you get to choose when you hear dialogue. You should kill all the enemies before you do that. The ending of this game is truly amazing and raises a very important question on morality. The way boss battles play out is similar to God of war. You wittle ttheir health down then do the right combo of buttons to finish them off. Graphics are AMAZING, they really suck you into this world. Play it if you like epic experiences. Expand
  3. Sep 3, 2011
    I imagine Enslaved must be the type of game that makes creative teams in the industry wonder why they bother. This is one of the most intelligent, exciting, beautiful, thought provoking and touching games I have ever played and yet, commercially it's done terribly.

I'm not a gaming snob - I loved COD: Black Ops and I'm getting very excited about the arrival of Gears 3 later this month, but I think it's tragic that millions and millions of people who will happily fork out for the latest iteration of COD, or Fifa, or Madden, won't take a chance on something different like this.

Enslaved isn't perfect - there were times when I wanted to scream in frustration at certain sections of clunky gameplay - but what it does well, it does better than nearly any other game I've played. The characters are wonderful, you really do care about Monkey and Trip (really helped by fantastic voice acting and beautiful performance capture); the gameworld is stunning; the story is compelling, oof it's just brilliant.

If you're thinking about giving this game a go - do it, it's so worth it.
  4. Jan 30, 2012
    This is a spectacular game. Not only will you fall in love with the characters, but you will inexorably be drawn into this vibrant world, which just could be an eerily accurate representation of the future. The story is a retelling of the chinese classic: Monkey Magic. The voice acting is superb, this game sets a new standard for action adventure titles.
  5. May 18, 2011
    great storytelling, great characters. The gameplay is good but occasionally janky. the combat is really limited at the beginning but once you begin to unlock moves it gets complex enough. i really enjoyed it, this game doesnt get enough love.
  6. Sep 10, 2011
    Game is a solid "8". While there are some control issues in the game, it's probably the most beautiful game iv'e played. Everything has a painted vibrant water color look to it, and is worth playing if just for the scenery.
  7. Nov 20, 2011
    This is one of those games that hides in the shadows, too shy to come out and say hi, but that has so much to offer the party. For those who played the horror known as "Mirror's Edge" (otherwise known as the hypertension game), Enslaved is everything that Mirror's Edge COULD have been, but inexplicably chose to avoid.

Enslaved puts a high premium on maneuverability, particularly the

Enslaved puts a high premium on maneuverability, particularly the ability to outmaneuver enemies rather than outgun. In combat, finesse is important, and just bullrushing the enemy is a great way to get pounded. While it doesn't have the sheer number of parkour-type movement options that Mirror's Edge offered, it does do something much more important: it allows you to actually USE these options without perfecting the Vulcan Nerve Pinch on the Xbox controller. The scenery is beautiful. And for those who complain about hearing this compliment too often, know this: they managed to make a junkyard beautiful to look at. That says something, no? Long-abandoned cities are a visual smorgasbord. Only the most hardened grump could look at Enslaved's environments and shrug them off.

Puzzles are numerous and usually involve a shortcut (occasionally solution) that is environmental, so gamers are wise to keep their eyes open. The story is arresting and engrossing, with characters you can mostly care a great deal for.

Mostly. There's one character in particular that will probably annoy you. A few puzzles are ludicrously difficult, and, in one case, bugged, so there can be some frustration. Unlike Mirror, though, you can get past those frustrating parts before you try to snap the controller in half. The only real negative, though, is the ending. I won't give anything away, but the lack of ability to choose an ending...not to mention the sheer confusing nature of the conclusion...may leave you feeling a little unfulfilled. The lack of explanation of backstory is also frustrating for those who value plot; while it's clear something major happened, you're never clued in to exactly what went down.

All considered, Enslaved very definitely earns its 9. It could've been a 10 with ease if only the writers had been allowed to put in a little more work to answer some lingering questions. Get this game, enjoy this game. Period.
  8. Mar 2, 2012
    A great new classic, this game is the perfection of the adventure games, the story is sorpresive, the graphics are really beautiful. Is a magnificent game, satisfactory, incredible. Enslaved is AWESOME.
  9. Mar 4, 2012
    DKG4's Bargain Bin Reviews Enslaved is a tough sell. You get to play as a silly looking, relunctant hero who has to escort a vulnerable female npc through a cliche apocalyptic wasteland patrolled by generic robots. Doesn't sound too appealing eh? Well, let me assure you that this game is well worth the $20 or less price tag it has now. Few games are successful at making the mainDKG4's Bargain Bin Reviews Enslaved is a tough sell. You get to play as a silly looking, relunctant hero who has to escort a vulnerable female npc through a cliche apocalyptic wasteland patrolled by generic robots. Doesn't sound too appealing eh? Well, let me assure you that this game is well worth the $20 or less price tag it has now. Few games are successful at making the main characters deep enough and convincing enough to care for. Enslaved's approach to this problem was to have credible talents perform the voicework and motioncapture. With Andy Serkis (Gollum in LOTR, Kong in King Kong, and Ceasar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes) as the main protaginist Monkey, and Lindsey Shaw as the female Tripp, who Monkey has to escort through the game, Enslaved succeeds at producing likeable, interesting, deep characters that are easy to invest into. All ranges of emotions are conveyed convincingly through these characters in voice, facial expression, and body language. Enslaved looks good. Despite being set in a post-apocalyptic setting, Enslaved uses a bright color palette filled with bright greens and reds. It's a pleasing asthetic that provides numerous beautiful set-peices. Character models are nicely detailed and are animated well. The music is excellently composed and does its part to evoke emotion from you (You can listen to the soundtrack on youtube for a sample). Combat is fluid and satisfying, however, can get stale as the game progresses. There is a leveling up mechanic that provides new moves, but it is somewhat limited. You'll be too heavily invested into the characters and the story that the combat getting stale won't really bother you much. The pacing of the game is well plotted, with appropriate highs and lows. There is a lot of platforming, as Monkey is...well Monkey-ish. The platforming is easy...almost too easy. You can cover great distances quickly with Monkey's agility and strength, however I never felt that I was in danger of falling or messing up. The story itself isn't as engrossing as the characters, however, it does a well enough job at progressing you through the game and has a great, unexpected twist at the end. Yes, you have to escort the female companion Tripp through the majority of the game and no its not really that bad. Tripp is both capable and useful and having her at your side throughout the game helps to build the relationship between her and Monkey and build your investment into the characters. The banter between the two is excellently scripted. She is also used in clever ways that make her an integral part of the duo. I don't recall an instance where she was ever a burdon to me. This game is short. You can play through it in a matter of a couple of days. I paid $24 for this game a year ago and while I haven't played through it a second time, it is still sitting on my game shelf as a worthy contribution to the collection. Enslaved has no multiplayer. It is simply an engrossing tale of two people struggling to survive. If you find yourself a free weekend, do yourself a favor and pick up this little gem from the bargain bin. Expand
  10. Nov 20, 2011
    Though this game has been largely overlooked,I think it's one of those titles that will surprise a few gamers.I was familiar with the story(Journey to the West) through an old t.v show called Monkey,but this version was great as well with a futuristic world in ruins and populated by evil mechs.I quite liked the cool art design and gameplay elements and hope a few more players recogniseThough this game has been largely overlooked,I think it's one of those titles that will surprise a few gamers.I was familiar with the story(Journey to the West) through an old t.v show called Monkey,but this version was great as well with a futuristic world in ruins and populated by evil mechs.I quite liked the cool art design and gameplay elements and hope a few more players recognise this very good game. Expand
  11. Apr 3, 2011
    Amazing game, but not for the usual reasons like game play but characterization, solid writing amazing voice acting and just the ability to tell a captivating story. The game almost seems like a way to get from one part of the story to the next. I cannot remember the last time I felt such attachment and sympathy for characters in a game. Highly recommended!!
  12. May 5, 2011
    Enslaved will satisfy and disappoint at the same time. Voice acting was great. Story was great but could have been fleshed out a little more. Game play can get repetitive. Enslaved could have been a perfect game had the developer spent a little extra time on it.
  13. Jun 2, 2011
    Can anyone say underdog!? I picked this game up the other day as it was only $17 bucks and I had had some previous interest, but alas it got overlooked in my play list. To say that I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. This game has great visuals especially the use of color!! I can't remember the last time I played such a colorful game. The controls are pretty straightCan anyone say underdog!? I picked this game up the other day as it was only $17 bucks and I had had some previous interest, but alas it got overlooked in my play list. To say that I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. This game has great visuals especially the use of color!! I can't remember the last time I played such a colorful game. The controls are pretty straight forward. Your basic 3D platformer with light attack strong attack for combat combos. The thing that really did it for me was the great characters and story. This game creates great characters that you can actually connect with and care about to some degree. That seems to get overlooked in a lot of games nowadays. Some may say the platforming/climbing done by "Monkey" the main character is overly simplistic. It is BTW,you see a glowing point press jump and leap to it and then look for the next glowing point. This is not a flaw to me though, this guy is a great climber, it's a huge part of his character and it allows the game to flow and for Monkey to really perform when it comes to combat. I actually felt like a bit of a bad ass playing Monkey and taking care of "Trip" the other main character of the game. The story is nothing new but it is still compelling and keeps you wanting to play more of the game. The ending was even very satisfying which I did not expect. If you are tight on cash and looking for some good old school hack/slash style combat combined with decent platforming and some cool characters, you can't go wrong with Enslaved. Expand
  14. Sep 4, 2012
    Truly, this game gained far less attention than it deserved. The unique, lush, and strangely urban world is enough for a closer look. Post-apocalyptic without the dark and depressing dreariness. There is an ominous feel to the entire world, but it lacks the despair associated with the fall of mankind. There is no great and profound history of how and why we failed, only a remnant of ourTruly, this game gained far less attention than it deserved. The unique, lush, and strangely urban world is enough for a closer look. Post-apocalyptic without the dark and depressing dreariness. There is an ominous feel to the entire world, but it lacks the despair associated with the fall of mankind. There is no great and profound history of how and why we failed, only a remnant of our failure in the form of roaming mechs that hunt for humans attempting to survive. Go deeper and there's an actual coherent and compelling story. It's the traditional journey home, but with a rewarding twist that gives the game its title. Both Trip and Monkey are endearing characters that you easily warm to over the course of the game. And Pigsy may be an ass, but he's a lovable ass. Moreover combat is fun and fluid, but (and here's the major but) becomes repetitive and button mashing at high levels. And as good as the story is, the ending is left open for a sequel that most likely will never come. Expand
  15. Feb 19, 2012
    Enslaved: odyssey to the west is BY FAR the most UNDERRATED game this gen!!! Honestly i dont know how can people buy a game like call of duty every year and not buy this game. This game is a like a mix between uncharted+prince of persia.. I highly recommend it especially if you like action-adventure games
  16. Feb 19, 2012
    This game BY FAR the most UNDERRATED game this gen!!! Honestly i dont know how it didnt sell well! I will honestly buy this game over an overrated game like call of duty anyday and This game is a like a mix between uncharted+jak and daxter.. I highly recommend it especially if you like action-adventure games
  17. Dec 14, 2011
    Masterpiece! It is such a pity this game has not sold more copies cause I'd love the story to continue. The most enjoyable gameplay, wonderful locations, lovable characters, great music. Give this game a chance and you will be rewarded with an unforgettable adventure.
  18. Feb 7, 2012
    Just because this game flew under the radar, isn't a blockbuster or isn't filled with questionable content doesn't mean this is a bad game. In fact, it's a great game! Watching the development of the characters throughout the story is amazing. The voice acting is spectacular and you can see the emotion in their faces. The story itself is very clever and compelling. It may lack theJust because this game flew under the radar, isn't a blockbuster or isn't filled with questionable content doesn't mean this is a bad game. In fact, it's a great game! Watching the development of the characters throughout the story is amazing. The voice acting is spectacular and you can see the emotion in their faces. The story itself is very clever and compelling. It may lack the overall polish of the bigger games, but this is one of the best I have played in a while. The combat might get a little bit repetitive as you progress, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it. Was blown away by how much this game made me care about the two lead characters. Play it, it's definitely worth it! Expand
  19. Apr 9, 2012
    I stumbled across this game by accident and haven't regret it.
    I stumbled across this game by accident and haven't regret it.
    Monkey an Trip are lovely characters that engage you to play the game. I really liked the atmosphere, the post apocalyptic world where (at last) the sun shines instead of deserts everywhere. The fighting system is really good to manage although the camera isn't always very cooperative, but you get a hold of it. I never felt my motivation sink while playing this game. Instead I looked up the achievements just to see how many chapters are left to play and was relieved to see that there are 14 in total. The game has a really good length and is also not too difficult. I really recommend this to everyone who likes games like Uncharted, because the moving mechanics are comparable.
  20. Mar 23, 2012
    I'm ashamed to sat I missed this little gem on release however I picked it up formless than five pounds and my god was it worth it. Beyoned engrossing the game has a story that will captivate from start and after getting used to the controls the action is nothing short of intense and satisfying. GO BUY IT NOW.
  21. Oct 11, 2010
    It's just one of those games that they don't make enough of anymore for all the right reasons. Gameplay, characters, music, graphics, it's all there.
  22. Oct 6, 2010
    The graphics are amazing, the game altough uses unreal 3 has a verry different estethic feel to it than other games using the engine. Most of the lighting and effect have been made for this game and they look great. Textures looks great and the lighting is new and effective in creating a different post apocalyptic word than youâ
  23. Oct 6, 2010
    Wow...this game is amazing! I have played a ton of games this year, but I must say I have been blown away by how fantastic this game is. This game is extremely underrated. I'm really not sure why this game isn't more popular. Here is my small attempt to get the word out.

The game is set in a post-apocalyptic United States that has been overrun by vicious mechs. You play as a character named Monkey with awesome climbing and fighting abilities. With the "help" of female companion Trip, you escape a slave ship together. The gameplay involves solving puzzles and fighting mechs with your female companion throughout the game. Trip reminds me a lot of Elika from 2008's Prince of Persia. She is very helpful throughout the game, and although the game is one long escort mission she never gets in the way. The gameplay reminds me most of 2008's Prince of Persia, except the weapons are very different. The climbing in the game reminds me of both Prince of Persia and Uncharted 2.

The graphics are awesome! The scenery and character models are both very well done. The game world is extremely colorful and beautiful. The sound is also incredible. I really love the epic soundtrack. The voice acting is extremely well done and made me really care about the characters. Perhaps one of the best aspects of the game is the story. For me it's a tossup between Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West for best video game story of the year.

Don't take this game for granted. You need to play Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, especially if you enjoyed Uncharted 2 or Prince of Persia 2008. Really can't express enough how enjoyable this game is. On "Normal" settings the game took me about 10.5 hours to complete. I'm looking forward to another play through on "Hard" settings.
  24. Oct 15, 2010
    Do yourself a favor and buy this game. You know, in a gamer's life, there is a time when you ask yourself, do I want more from my games than just mindless shooting? Do I want an amazing story, believable characters, incredible dialogue, super graphics and fun gameplay? If you answered yes, please support this game. You won't regret it.
  25. Oct 11, 2010
    At the end of the day it's my Sci-Fi Game of the Year. The various themes, and the parallelism that can be seen in Enslaved is unheard of in a video game setting. It's seem as if Ninja Theory is nearing the Ken Levine status. The ending was weird. In a good way. Hell I might even say epicly weird. It doesn't like a proper conclusion, which some people will be upset by, and some will feelAt the end of the day it's my Sci-Fi Game of the Year. The various themes, and the parallelism that can be seen in Enslaved is unheard of in a video game setting. It's seem as if Ninja Theory is nearing the Ken Levine status. The ending was weird. In a good way. Hell I might even say epicly weird. It doesn't like a proper conclusion, which some people will be upset by, and some will feel it's rather random. But I didn't. Either you'll love the ending, or you'll be displeased by the ending. Simple as that.

I'm sad. I'm sad to know that after this chapter there will only be 1 left. One. With Enslaved, it's almost as if you have to pace yourself, because this game sucks you in so easily. It could already be 1:00am, and your already on Chapter 10, and once you finally realize what chapter your on, your like damn While this game has faults, mainly it's sensitive controls, awkward camera, it's repetitive combat system, it's still a game worth playing. The cast of characters, and the emotional bond they create is a sight to behold. Not that it's anything spectacular, but the fact it's being done in a videogaming medium. The story is pretty simple. Monkey get's captured on a slave ship. The ship begins to hurdle down to NYC, you see this girl escape. You manage to escape, you cling on to the last escape pod, and basically become entwined with Tripp's life. Simple story, but the characters is this games shining beacon. I really miss games like Enslaved. Before back in the ps2, and xbox days we would see many platform games like Enslaved. Today we're riddled with sequels, and unimaginative fps. So it's refreshing to see a new ip, that resembles the hey day of Jak and Daxter. But what's more refershing to see, is that with Enslaved, Ninja Theory shows what the future of gaming could be. The characters, the motion capturing. The tight, and great journey of a ride. If only all games could be like Enslaved (in terms of characters, and story).

I ore you. If you enjoy story driven games than do yourself a favor and checkout this epic journey! PS: Please I beg you guys who are playing the 1st 5 chapters and feel that this game is boring, and medicore. The first 5-6 chapters nearly made me quite. It's the slowest part of the game. So I implore you, once you leave NYC, and journey to Tripps village, well that's when the REAL journey begins.
  26. Dec 8, 2010
    One the most over-looked games of the year. Enslaved absolutely sets a new bar in how videos game voice actors should deliver a performance. It's a great game with interesting characters that was just released at a poor time with little or no marketing. Lindsey Shaw and Andy Circus should both be up for voice actors of the year.
  27. Apr 25, 2011
    Enslaved is a vibrant, colourful game with characters you'll come to love along the journey. The story and colourful world are definitely the highlights, with an intriguing sci-fi twist towards the end, but unfortunately the gameplay isn't exceptionally exciting. Nonetheless, it is fun to put combos together to destroy robotic enemies and there are enough types of them to keep youEnslaved is a vibrant, colourful game with characters you'll come to love along the journey. The story and colourful world are definitely the highlights, with an intriguing sci-fi twist towards the end, but unfortunately the gameplay isn't exceptionally exciting. Nonetheless, it is fun to put combos together to destroy robotic enemies and there are enough types of them to keep you guessing; the boss sections are good and the hover-craft is easy to control and fun to use when you're allowed. Unfortunately, there isn't much to go back and do in a second play through. Overall, Enslaved is a game built on its story and setting, with gameplay apparently tagged in; it's a very good game if you like a good story in a game, but for others you may find the uninspired mechanics tedious. I enjoyed it, 3/5. Expand
  28. Nov 30, 2010
    An absolutely cracking game, which I'd never have picked up if it hadn't been for some positive reviews on this website. The box cover art didn't lure me in, but these reviews did, and it's every bit as good as people said, if not more so. It's an incredibly engaging story - one of the few games of late where I've wanted to watch the cut screens - even if it has been done before.An absolutely cracking game, which I'd never have picked up if it hadn't been for some positive reviews on this website. The box cover art didn't lure me in, but these reviews did, and it's every bit as good as people said, if not more so. It's an incredibly engaging story - one of the few games of late where I've wanted to watch the cut screens - even if it has been done before. Challenging enough to play, with enough variety to keep it entertaining, and a gripping finish. Like so many games it could definitely be longer, which is why it loses a few points. With some more length and a little more depth it could easily be a 10/10. Expand
  29. Jan 27, 2011
    A third of the way into the game, I wondered why 'Enslaved: Odyssey to the West' wasn't consistently nonminated for Game of the Year awards. By the end, I had my answer. Enslaved is largely a fantastic game that doesn't quite have enough to push it into the upper echelon of triple A titles.

Enslaved starts out AMAZINGLY, with spectacular vision, frantic action, and some of the best acting ever to grace a video game. As a "re-imagining" of the traditional Chinese fable, "Journey to the West", Enslaved carries such excitement and promise. What happened to mankind? Who are the slavers, and what's with the mechs? The characters are instantly engaging, and very realistic. But eventually, the innovation and tension that was so prevalent in the beginning seems to fade away towards the later half of the game. The characters who had such strong motivations in the beginning, ironically become slave to the game's mechanics, and don't do much besides go to a different area for you to play in. Ultimately, I was let down, by the failed potential, but overall, I quite thoroughly enjoyed the game.
  30. Jul 9, 2011
    Absolutely perfect! Love this game! The caracters seem so real. I played it in 3 days and just could not stop :D Just to fill the 150 caracters: dfhufhauisfizhbsuhBHZUSDBFZHbuzhbfUHZBD 10.0
  31. Nov 17, 2011
    This game was pretty fun overall. I found the storyline to be quite engaging and it definitely kept me interested in playing until the end. The characters are fun and expressive. The only real hinderance is the amount of invisible walls in this game make it a bit linear even for me, a person that prefers having a linear path versus a huge world with the question of "What the hell am IThis game was pretty fun overall. I found the storyline to be quite engaging and it definitely kept me interested in playing until the end. The characters are fun and expressive. The only real hinderance is the amount of invisible walls in this game make it a bit linear even for me, a person that prefers having a linear path versus a huge world with the question of "What the hell am I supposed to do?!". Expand
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    MOST UNDERRATED GAME EVER!!!!!!

I just dont get how can people dislike this game.. It AMAZING! The story is really, the characters are really likeable, and the game is FUN,, i recommend this game to EVERYONE!
  33. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is brought to life by its stark colour contrasts and lush post-post apocalyptic world. The game environments are a main character in itself. The platforming is seamless yet not automatic and the level designs feel rich with texture. The story is what drives this game to be a very emotional experience. The main two main characters exchange dialogue organically throughout theirThis game is brought to life by its stark colour contrasts and lush post-post apocalyptic world. The game environments are a main character in itself. The platforming is seamless yet not automatic and the level designs feel rich with texture. The story is what drives this game to be a very emotional experience. The main two main characters exchange dialogue organically throughout their adventure. The facial animations have been done perfectly, with Andy Serkis giving another emotional motion capture performance. This game is a linear experience but provides a level of detail in the writing often absent in larger open-world experiences. Its unfortunate this game did not sell commercially well. It deserves a larger fan base. The game industry itself needs to make more experiences similar to this game. Overall pick this up, I am sure it will be heavily discounted in retailers near you. Expand
  34. Oct 9, 2010
    Enslaved has what I think to be the best character animation ever in a video game, combined with a unique world, a solid story and good voice acting, Enslaved is one of the best games this year. It is unfortunate that it's held back somewhat numerous control and technical issues.
  35. Oct 10, 2010
    This is a video review. In order to view the video, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUv0xghIfmI
    -----------
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action-adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco Bandai. ----------- Check out my channel here: http://www.youtube.com/jaz350z for more videos including: unboxings, news, reviews, gameplay, free wallpapers, and MUCH
    -----------
    Check out my channel here: http://www.youtube.com/jaz350z for more videos including: unboxings, news, reviews, gameplay, free wallpapers, and MUCH more to come.
  36. Oct 12, 2010
    Ninja Theory's Enslaved is based on the Chinese legend "Journey to the West". The main character is even called Monkey and he has to lead a frail girl named Trip to the West to get her back home. Enslaved is a mediocre, re-hash action platformer along the same vein as Uncharted. Monkey climbs over the ruins of our modern civilization with a similar style as Nathan Drake as well. HeNinja Theory's Enslaved is based on the Chinese legend "Journey to the West". The main character is even called Monkey and he has to lead a frail girl named Trip to the West to get her back home. Enslaved is a mediocre, re-hash action platformer along the same vein as Uncharted. Monkey climbs over the ruins of our modern civilization with a similar style as Nathan Drake as well. He looks like he's struggling to climb these ruins, but it's actually impossible to miss the next handhold or to just jump out into space. The platforming in Enslaved literally takes no skill even though the animations are painstakingly crafted to make Monkey look like an average guy, straining against gravity.

Monkey is anything but average though, and trying to portray him as such just cheapens the game and the story. When he rides an escape pod to the ground at terminal velocity and survives with only a minor concussion, how normal is that?

Anyway, the combat in the game is very much like God of War, though it has less depth and you can just spam one combo to win even on the harder difficulties. The game environments do look pretty, though there are frame rate issues, which aren't terrible when you get used to them. However, the game is filled with bugs. Characters disappear completely during important cut scenes, Trip gets stuck on the terrain often, checkpoints that require you to pass them for the game to progress don't register all of the time when you do pass them, and the entire game has locked up completely on me occasionally during really hectic, screen-filling fights. Other reviews say these bugs are rare, but they occurred often enough to completely frustrate me and often enough to kill my motivation to play at times.

Enslaved is also pretty short. I finished the hard campaign in just about ten hours. The story can be compelling and the ending was very good, but games can't thrive on story alone without good game play that makes the experience truly engaging and fun.
  37. Mar 7, 2011
    OK story, OK graphics, OK combat. Basically an OK game. Enslaved does nothing new or particularly well or anything so bad that you want to throw it in the bin. My main problem with the game is that it is so linear. You can only jump when the game wants you to jump. You can only jump in the direction the game wants you to. You can never miss a jump. Combat is also crap.

If you have

If you have nothing else to play and fancy some mindless button bashing then buy this.
  38. Nov 26, 2010
    Enslaved is honestly a really fun game and I want to recommend it. However, I will not for one simple reason: You can get killed during cutscenes. This is by far the worst design decision I have ever seen and it should be patched immediately. You'll be playing along killing your enemies then a cutscene occurs and the enemies keep hitting you and no button you press can stop them. I'veEnslaved is honestly a really fun game and I want to recommend it. However, I will not for one simple reason: You can get killed during cutscenes. This is by far the worst design decision I have ever seen and it should be patched immediately. You'll be playing along killing your enemies then a cutscene occurs and the enemies keep hitting you and no button you press can stop them. I've tried and it's the most lame thing I've ever seen. On multiple occasions i've had one enemy pinned to a wall, near death when another attacks Trip. The game shows a cutscene with her EMPing the enemy and when the cutscene ends the enemy I was fighting is now pushing me into a guard rail and somehow I lost 3/4 of my life and can't block because he's in the middle of an unblockable combo. It sucks and I don't even want to play anymore. Which is sad because otherwise it's a really fun game. Expand
  39. Mar 22, 2011
    An innovative game does not use jump puzzles. An innovative game does NOT use jump puzzles or jump "puzzles". Enslaved may have never claimed to be innovative, but it does consist almost solely of jump paths (a puzzle has options), annoying cut scenes, mediocre combat, and superb voice acting and graphics. This, like uncharted, is another rail shooter equivalent of an adventure game,An innovative game does not use jump puzzles. An innovative game does NOT use jump puzzles or jump "puzzles". Enslaved may have never claimed to be innovative, but it does consist almost solely of jump paths (a puzzle has options), annoying cut scenes, mediocre combat, and superb voice acting and graphics. This, like uncharted, is another rail shooter equivalent of an adventure game, but Uncharted is better (and it still sucks). This is what happens when you have a movie sized budget and orders to crank out another game. Pass the cookie cutter we're ready for game development. Expand
  40. Dec 8, 2010
    What the....is this? An interactive cartoon? An introduction for very young kids into adventure games - but unfortunately rated? Or a very long trailer to an upcoming TV series? Challenges? Na. Interesting visuals? Please. Overpriced and overrated? For sure. I assume Uncharted fans laugh hard when seeing this attempt to catch up.
  41. Feb 9, 2011
    Simply not worth it. it feels and looks too much like jak for those who remember. its also crappier than that game. i was hoping however that the story was going to be good but that turned out predictable and a waste of time.
  42. Nov 12, 2010
    I certainly don't have anything bad to say about this game, but don't expect to have your mind blown. Great retelling of a story that I wish more people were familiar with. The storytelling is great and the story is engaging, but for some reason it doesn't lock me in. I suppose the best way to explain this game is that it's a lot of fun, but it's not hard to walk away from. Worth playingI certainly don't have anything bad to say about this game, but don't expect to have your mind blown. Great retelling of a story that I wish more people were familiar with. The storytelling is great and the story is engaging, but for some reason it doesn't lock me in. I suppose the best way to explain this game is that it's a lot of fun, but it's not hard to walk away from. Worth playing for sure, pick this game up! Expand
  43. Oct 6, 2010
    Despite it's weird controls and awkward platforming, it's an amazing game, i recommend giving it a rent since it's so short, but it's one of the few games that truly give you that epic journey adventure feeling, plus it has great story/music/visuals etc. with simple yet fun and cinematic combat.If anything, It's a game you won't forget, specially if you like that "Uncharted" feeling.
  44. Oct 12, 2010
    great visuals, voice acting and a story that will keep you at the edge of your seat. this is a game that puts story first over game play. and i love that
  45. Nov 14, 2010
    Outstanding and charming new IP with quite a few flaws. Amazingly well told story with excellent cut scenes and facial animation. The story is simply a treat. The pacing is perfect although it has an ending you either love or hate. The combat and controls are sloppy with a pretty annoying camera but it's still fun albeit feeling broken. The game is fun though, it mixes several sloppyOutstanding and charming new IP with quite a few flaws. Amazingly well told story with excellent cut scenes and facial animation. The story is simply a treat. The pacing is perfect although it has an ending you either love or hate. The combat and controls are sloppy with a pretty annoying camera but it's still fun albeit feeling broken. The game is fun though, it mixes several sloppy mechanics together so the variety compensates for it. It has drawbacks but a game I do not hesitate to recommend. I give it a 9 even though it has shortcomings because what it does it does amazingly well. Also pretty vibrant visuals. Expand
  46. Oct 17, 2010
    It's oozing with charm...The graphics are great, the voice acting is great, the use of facial animations is great....All around good game. I played this entire game in one day, and it took me about 10 hours. Loved almost every minute........

Negatives are that some of the boss battles and things in the game get slightly repetitive...but not too bad. Also, unskippable cutscenes can be extremely frustrating, especially at difficult points in the game where you constantly have to watch it over and over again! grrr. Also, the worst part of the game is the camera.....it is really touchy and at times, a hindrance on the game. Overall, good game. Rental for me.
  47. Oct 19, 2010
    Completely charmed by this game. The art direction is gorgeous, and I can't even begin to say how refreshing it is to play in such a colourful, lovingly built world. The characters really grow on you during the course of the game - so much so that I found that the end came far too quickly. Fingers crossed that the devs are willing and able to make a second game in this world/with theseCompletely charmed by this game. The art direction is gorgeous, and I can't even begin to say how refreshing it is to play in such a colourful, lovingly built world. The characters really grow on you during the course of the game - so much so that I found that the end came far too quickly. Fingers crossed that the devs are willing and able to make a second game in this world/with these characters. Originally rented it, beat it, then went out and bought it two days later. Expand
  48. Nov 18, 2010
    Don't let the "no name" title fool you. Yes, there has been almost no game media coverage on this game but because of good reviews, I thought I would give it a try. This was a very very fun game to play. The reviewers are all true. The story and the acting and interaction between the two main characters are great! Although this game did not have the best graphics I have ever seen, itDon't let the "no name" title fool you. Yes, there has been almost no game media coverage on this game but because of good reviews, I thought I would give it a try. This was a very very fun game to play. The reviewers are all true. The story and the acting and interaction between the two main characters are great! Although this game did not have the best graphics I have ever seen, it did however have the best facial expressions I have ever seen! It was amazing! Many epic games like Mass Effect and the like could learn from this. Other then the graphics, I wish the controls were a bit more precise. They have already dropped the price on this so if you haven't played it, please give it a try. Expand
  49. Oct 24, 2010
    If youre a fan of Heavenly Sword on PS3, (also from Ninja Theory) youll probably enjoy Enslaved. Voice acting is top notch, controls are good but a lil mushy sometimes, and the camera can get in the way of the action quite often, but overall Enslaved is a trip worth taking. Your "sidekick" whose name is Trip never gets in the way and is voiced perfectly. Your character (Monkey) and TripIf youre a fan of Heavenly Sword on PS3, (also from Ninja Theory) youll probably enjoy Enslaved. Voice acting is top notch, controls are good but a lil mushy sometimes, and the camera can get in the way of the action quite often, but overall Enslaved is a trip worth taking. Your "sidekick" whose name is Trip never gets in the way and is voiced perfectly. Your character (Monkey) and Trip make for a winning combination throughout their journey. Pros:
    -As usual from Ninja Theory, the voice acting and facial character animations during cutscenes are all top notch. -Beautiful scenery all around- instead of going for a dreary post-apocalyptic setting, youre instead greeted with a world where the trees, grass, and flowers seem to take over the setting, which is truly dazzling on hdtvs. -Excellent pacing throughout the story, with just the right amount of comic relief in all the right places, but never too much. Cons:
    -The camera gets in the way of Monkey during battle scenes constantly. Often it will center itself in the wrong spots, behind foliage, etc. -Combat is not quite smooth and fast enough for my tastes. -More types of baddies wouldve been much appreciated.

If the game had a few extra months to really nail the cons, this could possibly be a contender for game of the year. Otherwise, its a great game to play if you enjoy an engrossing story in your videogames with strong character development.
  50. Oct 26, 2010
    Love the story, graphics are great. Game play is fantastic! Music and sound really good!
    Perhaps low replay value though. In the end, I highly recommend you check it out ;-)
  51. Oct 27, 2010
    This game is truly stunning! I havent enjoyed a game this much for a long time! As soon as i finished my first play through i started it right up again and played it a second time and enjoyed it just as much as the first. The graphics are great, this game has the best facial expressions and voice acting ive seen in a game. The characters are great in this game, all throughout the game iThis game is truly stunning! I havent enjoyed a game this much for a long time! As soon as i finished my first play through i started it right up again and played it a second time and enjoyed it just as much as the first. The graphics are great, this game has the best facial expressions and voice acting ive seen in a game. The characters are great in this game, all throughout the game i couldnt stop thinking and wondering whats going to happen to Trip and Monkey next. The gameplay is solid. People say there arent alot of combos to do or anything. There are many different types of attacks which you can upgrade throughout the game. Heck, i cant stand games where they make you memorize 20 different attack combos which make you click something ridiculous like A,B,Y,A,A,ARB,B,B,A,X,X,A,X just for a jump attack or somthing. The story through the game is amazing and totally sucks you in, the ending is pretty epic too. The relationship between Trip and Monkey in this game is very well done and well showed out. Its deff one of my favs, i paid full price and dont regret it at all. If you are even slightly interested in this game i say GO BUY IT! or at least rent it because i can tell you now that you'll love it! It really bothers me that this game isnt that popular, its such a good game and deserves the sales. Expand
  52. Nov 1, 2010
    Well, well, well, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West where to begin. How about Enslaved if not for Red Dead Redemption would be my vote for game of the year. Never has such a game made me feel for the characters how I did when plating this. Such a low metascore of 81, this should be in the mid nineties it is that good. The controls which have come under scrutiny by the critics seem absolutelyWell, well, well, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West where to begin. How about Enslaved if not for Red Dead Redemption would be my vote for game of the year. Never has such a game made me feel for the characters how I did when plating this. Such a low metascore of 81, this should be in the mid nineties it is that good. The controls which have come under scrutiny by the critics seem absolutely fine to me and are perfectly suited to the game. Monkey and Trip are two of the greatest video game characters that I have seen (Trip=hot). The amount of detail that are in the facial expressions is incredible, and the voice acting is brilliant. This game has amazing set piece after set piece (especially the opening and ending sequences). The platforming part of the game is genius because sure it is almost impossible to die, but that's what the games creators wanted it to be like. It just makes you feel like a movie and your the main character. The presentation is of the highest quality, breathtaking visuals and an awesome soundtrack make this game essential in my eyes. 10/10 well done Namco/Ninja Theory. Fingers crossed for more. Expand
  53. Nov 11, 2010
    This game is a contender for game of the year. This game has been overshadowed by the releases of other games such as Medal of Honor and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but this is game is better than both of these games. The story is great and sucks you in to the game. The characters, like every Ninja Theory character, have personalities that are believable, and at some points, you forgetThis game is a contender for game of the year. This game has been overshadowed by the releases of other games such as Medal of Honor and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but this is game is better than both of these games. The story is great and sucks you in to the game. The characters, like every Ninja Theory character, have personalities that are believable, and at some points, you forget you are playing a game and maybe you are watching the best reality TV show ever. This game is really worth a look, it is short and sweet, It is a game you can beat in a day or two, but you will not regret the time spent playing Enslaved. Expand
  54. Nov 16, 2010
    Really fun game with a rich narrative and superb voice acting, the game play is fun and rewarding but is a little shallow but story is the order of the day here but that ain't a bad thing
  55. Nov 16, 2010
    I am a massive RPG fan, as this game is not an rpg i am hugely impressed it awesome graphics great story fantastic gameplay. It just rules definately pick this one up
  56. Oct 13, 2012
    I'm in love with Enslaved, this is one of the most underrated games ever, maybe it is not a Mario in platforming or a Ninja Gaiden in combat, but this games manages to delivers something that other games just doesn't.
  57. Apr 9, 2012
    I was so excited when I finally got round to playing this game and I have to say it was a huge disappointment from start to finish. This game may be a year and a half old now, but it fails in so many ways. The biggest issue is that of the camera which is shockingly bad. I felt like I was constantly wrestling with the camera to try and make this game functional! Sometimes the cameraI was so excited when I finally got round to playing this game and I have to say it was a huge disappointment from start to finish. This game may be a year and a half old now, but it fails in so many ways. The biggest issue is that of the camera which is shockingly bad. I felt like I was constantly wrestling with the camera to try and make this game functional! Sometimes the camera constantly conflicts between a fixed cinematic angle and the loose combat angle, which is totally confusing and incredibly frustrating, especially when you're playing on hard difficulty where being able to see all your enemies at all times in combat is so important! It just reeks of thoughtless game design! Next bad thing is the combat itself which is both dull and frustrating. There's very little variety to the combat situations and it quickly becomes boring. Add to this the insane camera angles during combat and you've got yourself a seriously unappealing mess. Next, is the general movement of Monkey. The controls feel so loose at times that getting Monkey to simply hide behind a small wall while a turret blows the crap out of him is a real chore. There are also numerous clipping issues that occur throughout which often cause totally unnecessary deaths in certain times - again, these all occur mostly when the camera is going insane. Although artistically this game is beautiful with some of the most interesting visual designs I've ever seen, the quality of the environments is diminished greatly but muddy textures and noticeable pop-in as textures load. Next, the platforming sections, which are uninspired and clunky and lack the finesse of the Uncharted series. Next, the invisible walls that plague this game are infuriating! It's a sign of bad game design when invisible walls are needed so often in what is a generally very linear game! I don't mind there being invisible walls around the areas of gameplay but when they are interspersed with platforming sections it's just irritating. Lastly, the bugs. As well as clipping issues and delayed input during combat, I fell through the game map 3 times during my play through! Generally this game just feels like it's lacking finish and a significant amount of optimisation. Maybe this game was rushed out for a pre-Christmas release, but it really could have done with a few extra months of streamlining! HOWEVER, despite the horrible gameplay - the story, characters, art design, locations and cut scenes are fantastic! I genuinely felt concerned for Trip and actually enjoyed the parts where you work collaboratively with her to stealth past enemies. They should have just removed the combat and kept it stealth and QTEs for taking down foes. I would have much preferred that and the narrative would have benefitted much from it. It's a shame this game was so massively overlooked as it does have some unique story and artistic design. But it's so difficult to ignore how technically awful this game is. I was tempted to give it a 4 or a 5, but the artistic design completely saves it from the depths of Oblivion....just! Expand
  58. Jan 15, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best stories ever told in a game. I really need to give credit to the authors here, it's some of the best work in video games with regards to story I've seen. Although I can only give it a 9 because it felt like Monkey should really have been given a little 'edge' to his character. Like he should push some helpless individual off a walkway to show a bit ofQuite simply one of the best stories ever told in a game. I really need to give credit to the authors here, it's some of the best work in video games with regards to story I've seen. Although I can only give it a 9 because it felt like Monkey should really have been given a little 'edge' to his character. Like he should push some helpless individual off a walkway to show a bit of personality you know? Expand
  59. Nov 24, 2010
    The forced camera angles can be slightly awkward, but all-in-all this is a great game. Interesting, challenging, and has a great story. My only complaint is that I wish that great environment was open so you could go exploring.
  60. Oct 19, 2010
    Enslaved is a great game, i just got done beating it and boy, it blew me away. it is based on a 17th century Chinese epic about group of characters (Monkey, Tripitaka, and Pigsy) to find enlightenment. But this game is set in a post-apocalyptic America and for the most part, is loosely based on it. This game's visuals are astounding, probably due to unreal engine, i mean just lookingEnslaved is a great game, i just got done beating it and boy, it blew me away. it is based on a 17th century Chinese epic about group of characters (Monkey, Tripitaka, and Pigsy) to find enlightenment. But this game is set in a post-apocalyptic America and for the most part, is loosely based on it. This game's visuals are astounding, probably due to unreal engine, i mean just looking around is just amazing. The story is a heartwarming and very enjoyable journey to help find Trip's home. The game play is super smooth. Climbing is a bit to easy but still fun. the fighting mechanic is really satisfying and i almost never got angry at it. i would strongly recommend this game, it is a great way to spend the weekend :) Expand
  61. Oct 18, 2010
    All in all this game is superb in terms of design and attention to detail. Character development is all it needs to be for the games length, and the story wraps up nicely. That being the major fault, it is not long enough to really give me all I was looking for. but in terms of overall quality it is very good indeed.
  62. Dec 3, 2010
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West's sublime mixture of storytelling, likeable characters, and varied gameplay creates an immersive and cohesive entertainment experience. If the technical aspects of the game had been more polished, and the platforming more skill based, Enslaved would have been an absolute masterpiece. As it stands, Ninja Theory's latest project still manages to be a standoutEnslaved: Odyssey to the West's sublime mixture of storytelling, likeable characters, and varied gameplay creates an immersive and cohesive entertainment experience. If the technical aspects of the game had been more polished, and the platforming more skill based, Enslaved would have been an absolute masterpiece. As it stands, Ninja Theory's latest project still manages to be a standout title because it represents a perfect example of how to tell a story in a videogame without imitating film or tv. Ninja Theory has created a memorable experience that only the videogame medium can deliver. Expand
  63. Dec 13, 2010
    This game surprised me. First off, the graphics are truely amazing. I could stare at this game all day. Secondly, the storyline is really good. The ending is unexpected and makes you think. The combat and the platforming isn't perfect, but I still enjoyed it.
  64. Jan 23, 2011
    aesthetically brilliant, with a fantastic storyline and great voice acting and animation, some points keep you on the edge of your seat in suspense. You can relate to the characters and they feel very human as well as a good fighting system this game surprised me and i can happily re play it whilst still enjoying those aspects, it is a decent length as well if not buy at least rent it
  65. May 12, 2013
    Thoroughly Enjoyable!

I played the demo of this game maybe a year ago. A mate of mine had the game and I always meant to borrow it from him, but it wasn't until last week I finally did. I haven't been able to keep off the Xbox since! (Except for work, and mothers day.. :P) I finished the game on hard and it is damn tough! The combat isn't perhaps as fluid as we've grown accustomed to
    Thoroughly Enjoyable!

I finished the game on hard and it is damn tough! The combat isn't perhaps as fluid as we've grown accustomed to with Assassin's Creed and the Batman: Arkham series, but it's not without its merit and the various enemy types force you to rethink a failed strategy (time and time again sometimes on Hard :P)

Even in May 2013, the facial animation system is perhaps the best I've seen in a game yet. In Bioshock Infinite I read they gave Liz a comically oversized head to better 'portal emotion'. Trip in Enslaved needs no such rubbish!

Without getting into too much detail, this game is probably about $15-20 wherever you look (considering the parity with US and AUD presently) so pick it up and have some fun!
  66. May 2, 2012
    I had a great time with Enslaved, the world was interesting and the characters were moving, especially in the middle of the game.

The game is not hard per say, though I did get stuck a few times. The gameplay is largely thematic. Graphically the sets are nice, but there appear to be issues with the engine's performance as sometimes texture pop and frame split. Not much to say without

Not much to say without spoiling anything, but I will say it is Best on the PS3, the controls feel a bit smoother better than when I played on the 360.
  67. Oct 8, 2012
    MY GOD how have I missed this game. Amazing from start to finish. Graphically outstanding and the performances of the lead cast are nothing short of mesmerising. I've never been as invested in two lead characters since ICO on the PS2. The story of Monkey and Trip is an enchanting one as two people are forced together through adversity. The voice acting of Andy Serkis and Lindsey Shaw isMY GOD how have I missed this game. Amazing from start to finish. Graphically outstanding and the performances of the lead cast are nothing short of mesmerising. I've never been as invested in two lead characters since ICO on the PS2. The story of Monkey and Trip is an enchanting one as two people are forced together through adversity. The voice acting of Andy Serkis and Lindsey Shaw is some of the best and the chemistry between the two is a joy.

Gameplay wise Enslaved is rather simple fare, Taking inspiration from numerous other titles. Combat is very GOW where traversing the environments is straight out of Nathern Drakes handbook. Funnily I often thought the game had a hand from Naughty Dog which is a massive compliment to Ninja Theory. There's a few little set pieces that are very memorable but it does get slightly samey towards the end. ...But it's not the gameplay that'll have you coming back to this title time and time again. It's the story. Based loosely around an old Chinese tale it which plunges you head-long into the relationship between two polar opposite personalities who are inexplicably thrust together and bound to complete this memorable Journey.

I for one would Happily Journey North, east, South and West many times for engaging story telling such as this. Amazing!!
  68. Sep 7, 2012
    There are a number of positive things to say about Enslaved. The art direction is well executed, with it's own unique take of a post-apocalyptic world, taken over by junkyard mechs and reclaimed by jungle plants. It's bright and colourful and stands out out from a lot of other games. The characters also stand out from the crowd

Some people have complain about the platforming is to easy.

Some people have complain about the platforming is to easy. It is true that it is so on rails you cant really fall off, but I didn't find that a problem. I still found it fun swing around leaping from great heights. It kept gameplay fluid and Monkey looked great whist doing it: there is a lot of personality in the way he swings around. The negatives - Its just never really that fun. The gameplay elements feels like an after thought, and each element never really fit together to make a unified experience. There is the combat which is repetitive and gets old quickly. as the game progresses they introduce different enemies to help with variety but it doesn't help much. At times it looks cool, and watching Monkey clobber a mech in slo motion is satisfying, but it won't hold your attention for long. There are also times you'll have to use 'team work' with your AI companion. This amounts to telling her to distracting enemies for a few seconds or pulling leavers. it's an unconvincing way of making her seem usefull.

To upgrade your abilities you'll need to collect orbs that pepper the environments like rings in sonic the hedgehog. Its not fun and only serves to cheapen the experience. Its old hat and a laborious and it never adds any entertainment value. Lastly gameplay is constantly stopped to explain in needless detail what you have to do next. You're never given anything to figure out for yourself. It dumbs everything down so much all the fun is sucked from the experience and it just becomes tedious. The game play is also often interrupted with cut scenes to move the narrative along, but most of the time you can't help feel this couldn't have played out whilst your playing.

it's a mixed bag of ideas that don't add up to a fun experience.
  69. Nov 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Romance is often an over-glamorized, over sexed subject in gaming. Female characters aren't depicted as nothing more, than mere sexed up promiscuous dolls than offer nothing more than eye candy. However, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West changes that. It's a game with a rich story, highly detailed and colorful environments, and a game that pays beautiful homage to Jak and Daxter on the PS2. It's a platforming game with lots of combat, adventure, wonderful characters, and a story that will leave you breathless. The games overall gameplay side, is a little dodgy, and rough at times, and sure the camera angles may get a little funky, but that doesn't go without saying that the story and the gameplay go hand in hand. It may not be perfect, but the game offers a whole lot more than just grinding to collect coins, and to get to the next platform. This is by far one of the only games that really has a secondary character that has depth. Somebody that you have to rely on, where you feel emotion for. I personally fell in love with my character, and by the end of the game I was heartbroken. This game made me feel anger, joy, frustration, love, and happiness. Many games can't do that. Simply, because romance and stories in other games just neglect the fact that romance can be a crucial element to telling rich stories. Enslaved, does that well, and the game itself is amazing. Probably, will be adding this game to my top 10 games of all time. Check it out! Expand
  70. Feb 26, 2013
    I Enjoyed this game a lot more than i thought it would, starting off i thought it was just another action-adventure game with platforming elements mixed in but as the game went on i grew to love this game.
    The environments look amazing, even on the 360's outdated tech and the characters were also well designed. The story seems a bit disjointed from the ending of the game, but it definitely makes you think. and any game that makes you stop and think for a while after completing it is a good one in my books
  71. Apr 3, 2013
    This game has everything it needs to be a classic. The most breathtaking visuals in this generation's consoles. Fantastic story. Deep and well written characters. some pretty good platforming sections.

So why didn't it do better? In my opinion it was due to poor marketing and also the actual gameplay (the combat in particular) was rather bland. A real shame as this game is such a gem to experience.

Overall:
    A stunning game that really shouldn't be overlooked. If you ever wanted a game that showed off your TV's HD capability, then this is it.
  72. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a trip through an interesting, beautiful world covering ground that hasn't been effectively tread in games, with a strong narrative and engaging, believable characters, it provides something unique this Fall. If you can look past its flaws, Enslaved might surprise you as much as it did me. Expand
  73. Aug 4, 2013
    the first thing you notice about this game is the graphics as they're amazing and looks really great this game has nice story great characters fun and joyful game play all combined with amazing visuals and graphics really one of the most over looked games
  74. May 7, 2013
    A underrated game, more people should play this game. the platforming is well designed as well as the combat. the game has humors. but, the game ending is weird and crap, so that is the downside.
  75. Jan 16, 2014
    One of the best game's ever! Yes it does not have the best graphics, yes it's got some glitches. But who cares! The atmosphere of this game is astonishing, from the start of the game I got pulled in and I just could not put my control down. The way the levels look, the music and ambiance, the top notch acting and facial expressions. The developers also put in some variety just in theOne of the best game's ever! Yes it does not have the best graphics, yes it's got some glitches. But who cares! The atmosphere of this game is astonishing, from the start of the game I got pulled in and I just could not put my control down. The way the levels look, the music and ambiance, the top notch acting and facial expressions. The developers also put in some variety just in the right places.

Get this game, you wont be disappointed!
  76. Aug 9, 2014
    Gorgeous game..Excellently drawn characters with a tremendous story line. Just the right level of humour. The setting is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen to watch..Only shame is that there will be no sequel..
  77. Nov 23, 2014
    I got this game because it was on sale, but I am very pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It is a story based, post apocalyptic, action, adventure game set in the ruins of New York City. Except instead of the usual plant less post apocalyptic scenario, this world is covered in plant life. I just started chapter 5 of 15, but I am already having a good time. The combat is somewhatI got this game because it was on sale, but I am very pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It is a story based, post apocalyptic, action, adventure game set in the ruins of New York City. Except instead of the usual plant less post apocalyptic scenario, this world is covered in plant life. I just started chapter 5 of 15, but I am already having a good time. The combat is somewhat limited, but at times requires thought to defeat bosses and hordes of enemies. climbing is more of a puzzle than open climbing (kinda like tomb raider). Overall it is a great game so far and is very underrated. Expand
  78. Dec 15, 2014
    The game is not like me at first, but after a little while completely enchanted. Nice environment structure and storyline. Each individual character by a character and have a look and feel. The fight can be quite exciting combos and also look good. The simple jumping, and fighting is easy. Rarely died during the game. Opponents also very jawed look. The dialogues like me out the most. WhatThe game is not like me at first, but after a little while completely enchanted. Nice environment structure and storyline. Each individual character by a character and have a look and feel. The fight can be quite exciting combos and also look good. The simple jumping, and fighting is easy. Rarely died during the game. Opponents also very jawed look. The dialogues like me out the most. What I did not like is that the little square governance. The game is over half of them will be a bit boring. Expand
  79. Dec 4, 2014
    I played this game solidly for several evenings, and I enjoyed it enormously. Apart from the excellent gameplay (though repetitive in parts), the storyline was terrific, with moments of drama, humour and pathos. Of course, with a story from Alex (The Beach) Garland, a great story was only to be expected. Visuals were superb, the dazzling brightly-coloured landscape a refreshing change fromI played this game solidly for several evenings, and I enjoyed it enormously. Apart from the excellent gameplay (though repetitive in parts), the storyline was terrific, with moments of drama, humour and pathos. Of course, with a story from Alex (The Beach) Garland, a great story was only to be expected. Visuals were superb, the dazzling brightly-coloured landscape a refreshing change from my previously-completed Resident Evil 6, which was entirely dark! Expand

1. Jan 21, 2011
    The gameplay may not be completely new, then, but this kind of chemistry certainly is. There's no denying it - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is the best escort 'game' ever made; a spritely little cracker with a lot of heart.
  2. Jan 20, 2011
    Enslaved's satisfying blend of narrative and gameplay is bang on the money. [Issue#102, p.111]
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    Enslaved is scoring with its motivating story, the good graphics and the enjoyable, but not challenging climbing passages. Sadly, the fights are unvaried and there is no multiplayer.