F1 2012 Xbox 360

6.9

1. Sep 26, 2012
    If you're new to the franchise and you like Formula 1, go buy this game, you'll love it. If like me you're a dedicated F1 player since the release of F1 2010 and you're wondering how it compares to last year's F1 2011, well as usual, it's greatly improved but there's a few bugs here and there. The new modes and features (driver test, champion mode, localized weather..etc) are nice butIf you're new to the franchise and you like Formula 1, go buy this game, you'll love it. If like me you're a dedicated F1 player since the release of F1 2010 and you're wondering how it compares to last year's F1 2011, well as usual, it's greatly improved but there's a few bugs here and there. The new modes and features (driver test, champion mode, localized weather..etc) are nice but they're only relevant for a short period of time. Nothing much is new also in online multiplayer. Where F1 2012 truly shines is on the improvements Codemasters made to the core part of the game: Handling is much much better (F1 2010 was too strict, F1 2011 too lenient, this year we have the best of both world.. you need to nurse your car, mistakes can cost you big time and the car doesn't feel like it's on rails), engine sounds are fantastic, the game is now using more realistic lighting and the tracks are better detailed than before... you can see that in the demo, for instance at Monza. The AI is much smarter than in the previous games, much more competitive and doesn't back off as easily. It's also more respectful and careful not to make contact. For the first time in this franchise I'm enjoying some real wheel to wheel battles with AI drivers. On the downside, the penalty system is still very unfair and inaccurate, and you can't turn it off. Illegal overtakes give you a couple of seconds to give the position back and the "legal" borders of the tracks are better cut than last year... so it's still an improvement. Tyre wear doesn't scale anymore and engines blow up when you downshift too rapidly... some people consider these to be cons, but I think they improve the realism of the game. Overall, it's still the best F1 game out there and arguably one of the best racing games on consoles. I'm delighted with the improvements made by Codemasters and I'm not going back to F1 2011 :) Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2012
    This game has great tutorials and a load of options for new and experienced F1 players/fans. Career mode has many options that can be changed between each race (including how long each race is). My only issue is that the controls are so sensitive that you can only play with a new controller. Loads of great racing hours ahead for F1 fans.
  3. Sep 21, 2012
    There are so many things that people were expecting out of this new edition of the game.
    A complete career with pilots market, improved collisions, wheel-to-wheel realistic physics, a better replay engine, a more complete engineer radio messages (like for example updating you on what happens around you in the race, if somebody crashes, etc), more car failures, a proper online championship (maybe like fifa?), classic cars and tracks, scenarios from the live season, and much more.

Codemasters chose instead to redesign a new MENU. I mean, I think it's really neat and everything, and now the game loads really fast, but was it really the priority number one??

Apart from this, we have a new suspension system that works better, we have a better tyre sim, and the AI is finally aggressive enough to feel alive. (if you're fast enough... if you're just 3-4 seconds slower than the car behind you, you'll just see trails of cars behind you as usual.), better graphics, dynamic weather, a scenario mode and an arcade career.

And driving is just completely fun.

I totally, completely enjoy speeding my car flying over the kerbs, driving from the **** view with no aids at all and battling against the other cars... it's just so rewarding.

So Codemasters has improved the game once more, even though it still feels like they could have done much better than that.
    You play it. It's damn fun. DAAMN FUN.
    But it's still not... that... complete experience you would expect from a masterpiece. They are just this far from the best F1 game ever made, yet they still lose focus on what they should really do.

I'm thinking right now to the rivalry between FIFA and PES that has occurred since the 90's, bringing both companies to improve their games wildly year after year, in a healthy competition that brought us today two of the most complete football simulations. Maybe what F1 lacks today is just the same rough competition.
    But I doubt that good ol' Bernie (Ecclestone) will ever grant it to us.
  4. Mar 23, 2013
    This thing is... Um... this thing is. Uh, yeah. I got my butt kicked. The most hard core racing game this gen. I placed 23 in my first race, and I was in 9th in my second race and on the second last lap... I ran out of gas! The racing is so fast and intense that I almost had an anerism (sp). Also... you have to do a min of 25% of a real race in career. That's like 15 laps. I give it a 10This thing is... Um... this thing is. Uh, yeah. I got my butt kicked. The most hard core racing game this gen. I placed 23 in my first race, and I was in 9th in my second race and on the second last lap... I ran out of gas! The racing is so fast and intense that I almost had an anerism (sp). Also... you have to do a min of 25% of a real race in career. That's like 15 laps. I give it a 10 for the racing but not enough difficulty options and too long of races brings it down a notch. Honestly, don't buy this if your a casual racing fan. Do buy it if you want a hardcore experience like no other. Expand
  5. Nov 14, 2012
    A truly fun racing experience. The driving is intense and very rewarding. The graphics look amazing and the sounds are excellent. It also has a great value. This title is way better than the previous two.
  6. Jul 31, 2013
    This game was a big surprise! Very good. Good graphics and great game play. Surprisingly realistic. I really liked this game. It's one of the better racing games out there! I hate all those arcade style racers.
  7. Sep 27, 2012
    Great game by Codemasters. Enjoyed the Young Driver Test and getting Gold is very satisfying. Noticeable advancement in terms of feeling speed. The option not to play as your favourite racing racing is downside and hopefully will be addressed next year, I'll definitely be playing this for a long time.
  8. Feb 18, 2013
    F1 2012 is a awesome game! Great graphics, great gameplay, and many more. If you looked at my previous reviews, I reviewed Forza 4 and I bought the game and I thought at that time that Forza is the best racing game I have played. Well, after playing F1 for a couple of races, I can honestly say F1 2102 is the best racing game I have played. Take into account that I only have like fourF1 2012 is a awesome game! Great graphics, great gameplay, and many more. If you looked at my previous reviews, I reviewed Forza 4 and I bought the game and I thought at that time that Forza is the best racing game I have played. Well, after playing F1 for a couple of races, I can honestly say F1 2102 is the best racing game I have played. Take into account that I only have like four racing game in my collection so may range is limited. Nevertheless, F1 2012 is very fun. If you are new to Formula 1 racing games, there is a Young Drivers Tutorial about how to play the game and be successful. It might take a little while to get adjusted to the gameplay. After you are down with the tutorial, you have many game modes to choose from like Time Trial, Time Challenge, Season Challenge, Career, etc. The time trials are self-explanatory. Just try to beat the time. The Season Challenge and career are two different modes. Season Challenge is basically you race for a team and you have to beat a rival that you choose. You can choose any rival you want and if you are a big fan of real life Formula 1, you will be really happy to know that all the real life people are in the game. Once you have chosen which rival you want to face, you have to beat them twice in order to advance your team. The graphics in the game are really pretty. Something as simple and textures are very nice. Now the best part about F1 is the gameplay. What strikes me about the gameplay is it is fast! When you are racing, you have to pay very close attention and if you take your eye off the road for just a split second your car will be flying across the track. I strongly encourage you to buy this game. I bought this game from Best Buy for $45 and hope that you can find a place near you that can sell you this game for the same amount of money. Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2013
    F1 2012 is an excellent game to get! I praise the addition of the Circuit of the Americas, the Season Challenge and the Champions Mode added. I also like the change of the menus so it's more easier to navigate around the game. But there are some changes: the long race weekend has been modified from 3 practice sessions to one session because the three practice sessions on F1 2011 were veryF1 2012 is an excellent game to get! I praise the addition of the Circuit of the Americas, the Season Challenge and the Champions Mode added. I also like the change of the menus so it's more easier to navigate around the game. But there are some changes: the long race weekend has been modified from 3 practice sessions to one session because the three practice sessions on F1 2011 were very unpopular. Also the minimum race distance you can do in Career mode is 25%, since in F1 2011 there was an option to do 3 laps and a three lap race is too short for a career race. There are bugs in this game though, which may be fixed. May not be the best F1 game of the year, but this game should do this year. Expand

1. Jan 14, 2013
    For hard-core auto racing gamers, especially those that love Formula 1, Codemasters once again has a fuel-charged and totally immersive, realistic racing simulation in F1 2012 that has everything a F1 fanatic could want.
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    Codemasters once again proves their worth in the racing genre with undoubtedly the best of their F1 series to date.
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    Formula 1 2012 is a great F1 racing simulator, but it's only an okay game. For a title that aims to be approachable to all audiences, it has failed in that regard, but for those who are racing fanatics and crave a realistic immersion into the F1 world, F1 2012 is the game for you.