6.7

1. Oct 25, 2013
    F1 2013 is on its own a great game, with exciting racing concepts such as the DRS system. There are plenty of race tracks, including Monza, Silverstone and Suzuka, and the dynamic weather is always impressive. The visuals are good and the new feature in Mid session save is great, especially when it works in conjunction with career mode, as you can save halfway through a race.

However I
    think it still doesn't differentiate itself enough in comparison to the previous year (or even three years). It misses a few elements which I think could've made it more interesting, like for example, the customisation settings are minimal, as you can't choose a paint job for your car or design your own helmet, you'll have to choose a list of options instead. Also if you plan on doing just a race, you still can't choose where you want to start on the grid, let alone anyone else's, and I wish there was a feature that would sort this problem out. Other features I find annoying are the sound effects of the F1 engine, as they sound quite tinny in my opinion, and the frame rate could be improved also.

To sum it up if you don't have F1 or otherwise interested by some of the new features I suggest you buy it, otherwise I would wait until next year.
  2. Jan 4, 2014
    F1 2013 is pretty solid. I haven't played an F1 game fully since 2010, although I played a demo of 2012. The AI is probably the biggest improvement, with the AI not backing down in a fight into a corner. More importantly, the AI can out brake themselves into a corner when fighting you too, which shows a solid mistake concept on the part of the AI. They actually make mistakes, although rarely as you would expect from an F1 driver.

The rule system has been improved, or at least is a little more lenient! The tyre wear which was a big factor in real life has also come into the game, at least for the player it seems. The handling feels more fluid now too, which is nice to see. However, any setup can be used to win a race, even a minimum wings setting of 1-1 in Monaco, which should not be the case at all. This needs to be addressed.

The F1 classics mode was quite an enjoyable experience. The cars lack high speed grip & braking power, but have a massive amount of torque, which means wheelspin is more violent. Just seeing the names of team & F1 legends brings a smile to an enthusiasts face.

Career mode was a let down for me. They haven't really changed it since 2010. Codemasters are just sitting back improving graphics when it's things like career mode that should be improved. The same old boring system of taking an upgrade path is in. The top teams in the game are always the top teams, but for me, in career mode you should be able to take any team to the top over time, meaning your teammate in that team could also be winning races. This could be done by having a system where the top 4 teams get a maximum of 8 upgrades a season on a balanced R&D path, 7 for the next 4 teams, and 6 for the next 3. The main difference in feeling in cars in career mode isn't downforce either, it's overall power from the engine. This is something that clearly needs refining. The career menu interface is boring and there isn't much to do there, it'd be nice just to see a little money system where by teams offer cash like they did in 2010. The pit times, for me at least seem to be always around the 3s mark, while in F1 they can range between 2-4s normally, so a bit of randomizing or making top teams have better pit stops would work better.

Career mode for me was the biggest let down by miles, but all in all, as far as the racing & feel of the cars, F1 2013 is pretty nice to play. F1 classics was a breath of fresh air. I'd recommend buying it, but wouldn't pay anything more than 30 euro for it.
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    Artwork F1 2013 represents almost the same level as the previous edition. It continues to be a game so rich in detail and spectacular. The whole is complemented by a decent audio.
    The game that is polished feel to the fullest. It is really worth to play.
  4. Dec 15, 2013
    Wow. Just hilarious amounts of wow. F1 2013 is probably my second favorite game for the 360. It brings everything that F1 brings to the real world, the EGO engine works fine, the graphics are astounding, the gameplay is smooth... Yes, I have been playing this for quite a while. Although, it has a particular flaw: it is nearly identical to 2012. If you haven't bought 2012, buy this. If you have 2012 and don't care about the (I must say, identical to the original and fun) Classic Cars, keep 2012. You love the Classics even though you have 2012, buy this. It is nearly the apex of simulation driving. Expand

1. Nov 27, 2013
    Slicker than ever before. [Christmas 2013, p.86]
    For fans of F1 both casual and hardcore this is still well worthy of your attention. [Issue#104, p.79]
  3. The game's the best it's ever been, but it's more of an update than a revolutionary overhaul. [Dec 2013, p.84]